Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps the drugged meat trick will work on this hound," suggests Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The bait is easily prepared, making use of Doctor North's ready supply of soporific chemicals and the dried meat which makes up a portion of the party's provisions. The immediate question is whether the dog's natural appetite is stronger than its training as a guardian.
Spoiler:
The dog's INT = 4. If it happens to make this roll, it is too smart to be fooled by the bait. If it fails, we continue.[dice]0[/dice]

The dog's CON = 11. If it fails this roll, it is hungry enough to take the bait. If not, we continue.
[dice]1[/dice]

The dog's WIS = 15. If it fails this roll, it is not suspicious enough to resist the bait. If it succeeds, it will refuse it. [dice]2[/dice]
Evidently the beast has been instructed to disregard such enticements. The drugged meat remains untouched.

The approaching bearers of torches splash through the fordable portion of the moat. A voice can be heard clearly above general mumbling.

"Good boy, Toby! Keep 'em there 'til we sees who they be. King's men, I'll wager, or devil take me. Come on, lads, unless you be ambitious for a noose! We've business with this lot."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"I like it not," Lila mutters. Knowing of Mister Rachman's arcane skills, she turns to him. "Could you perhaps daze the animal in order that we can escape? I fear using our pistols would only antagonise these men further."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

"They think we are King's men. If we show them that here are women, surely they will not attack us?" Queries Elizabeth, holding tight to Lucky for fear of the hound.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"One would hope," says Henry. "They are cattle thieves, no doubt, so their fears are understandable. I would be willing to leave them be if they return the favor. Could your musical talents perhaps soothe the dog, Elizabeth?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth nods gravely at Henry's suggestion and standing a few paces clear of the others begins a mournful, sorrowful, yet sweet and gentle version of a Scottish folk song that had found popularity, north of the border, after the defeat of the 'young pretender' in 1745.
The cool night air is soon filled with the words;

"Bonnie Chairlie's noo awa',
Safely ower the friendly main;
Mony a heart will break in twa',
Should he ne'er come back again."

OOC:   I have no idea as to what I should roll, so, Victoria, please do the honours for me :D  
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I shall make an effort to distract the beast," Mister Rachman says quietly. Careful to avoid making his movements with the Oriental dagger obvious to the approaching men, lest they suspect him of hostile intention, he casts his spell.
Spoiler:
Dog's Wisdom = 15[dice]0[/dice]
The hound freezes into a trance, apparently unaware of anything around it.

"Most fortunate," Mister Rachman says, "although I am afraid, Miss Carrow, that your charming song has been wasted on the animal. It was a clever idea, if my own modest talent had not been successful. In any case, if I may borrow the words of your greatest poet, it would seem that discretion is the better part of valor. I suggest that we flee."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, let us be off," says Henry, gathering his things. He joins the others in bypassing the dog and heading across the drawbridge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Burdened as they are by sodden clothing and heavy torches, the men are unable to keep up with the party of adventurers as they mount their steeds and make their way back to the village of Gretna Green. The journey from Caerlaverock Castle is nearly due east, so the rising sun greets the travelers as they ride. They arrive well before midday.

Davros is, understandably, relieved of much anxiety at the return of his new bride, although she is unable to offer any explanation for her absence, or, indeed, any recollection whatsoever of the incident.

A substantial meal, all agree, would be welcome, and the landlord is even able to provide a palatable ale. Afterwards, there is general agreement that a return to Harcourt House would be in order. Arrangements to leave on the morrow are made.

(It may be noted that, although Magda displays a great interest in the strange events which have occurred at Caerlaverock, Mister Harcourt finds the narrative only mildly diverting, the levity induced by the gold treatment apparently a permanent transformation.)
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The party is unable to obtain coaches quite so swift as those which brought them hither, although they are drawn by horses of good quality. The journey back to Harcourt House, in the best judgment of the drivers, will take three days. The first night's goal will be the town of Lancaster, barring any difficulties along the northern roads, which are not in as fine a condition as those in the south.

The party may arrange themselves in the two coaches as they see fit.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The happy couples should ride together," suggests Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila is happy to ride with her companions back across the border -- it seems the danger to Mister Harcourt may finally be at an end. She wonders how Monsieur Dupray is faring.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The journey to Lancaster is unremarkable. The town is a prosperous one, it seems, with much activity at the busy port, where vessels depart for the West Indies with manufactured goods -- metalwork, furniture, woolens, and the like -- and return with sugar, rum, cotton, et cetera. (Less spoken of in polite company is the slave trade from Africa to the New World, which forms the third leg of this triangle of trade. There is much abolitionist sentiment about, if only whispered among close acquaintances, but it cannot be denied that much of Lancaster's riches are a direct result of this controversial practice.)

Lodgings are found not far from the River Lune, within sight of Lancaster Castle. The medieval structure is now primarily used as a prison, one of those visited by the humanitarian John Howard in his continuing struggle to reform conditions for the inmates. The death rate from gaol fever is quite high. Mister Howard, a Fellow of the Royal Society, is well known to Doctor North for his attempts to improve sanitation for the prisoners, as well as such innovations as separating the inmates by sex and by the nature of the offense.

Unlike Gretna Green, whose inns depend on eloping couples, those found in Lancaster cater primarily to traveling merchants, and are therefore somewhat more spartan. None the less, the demands of the flesh are sufficiently satisfied. Rooms are obtained for each married couple, as well as one to be shared among the bachelors and one for the single ladies.

Having arrived in the late afternoon, the travelers are free to explore the environs as they see fit. Perhaps a stroll along the river, with its view of the imposing prison, or some conversation at a nearby coffeehouse (such establishments falling somewhat out of favor in these modern times, although a few of these "penny universities" remain in business), followed by a performance of a play at the Grand Theatre, which is only a few years old. (Tonight there is a performance of the popular comedy The Belle's Stratagem by Mrs Cowley, which enjoyed such acclaim when it premiered in the Drury Lane theatre not quite a decade ago.) There is the port itself, where persons from around the globe are apt to congregate, as well as the busy establishments of rope-makers, shipbuilders, and tradesmen who deal in exotic items from distant lands.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What would you like to do this afternoon, my dear?" Henry asks Elizabeth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth smiles at Henry, she feels a little exhausted by the recent events so much so that she might sleep for an entire week. However she realises that her soul craves a bout of normality, her reason having been tested to its limits of late. "I thought maybe a hour or two of relaxation at one of the charming coffee houses Lancaster has to offer, then perhaps a performance of Mrs Cowley's The Belle's Strategem which I have heard is rather good"
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I should like to visit the port," Lila says, sensing that Doctor North and Elizabeth might wish to be alone. "I have need of replenishing my supply of Holy Water among other things but perhaps the tradesmen might offer some additional exotic items of interest." She asks Mister Witherly if he would care to accompany her for the sake of propriety. "Perhaps we shall see you later at the theatre," she adds to the others.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It will not be very surprising to discover that both pairs of newlyweds will be content to remain in seclusion for the remainder of the day. Arrangements are made for all to rendezvous at the Grand Theatre just before the performance is scheduled to begin.

Mister Rachman offers to accompany Miss Davenport and Mister Witherly to the port. "It is possible that there may be ships bearing items from the Orient. I may be able to supply some small amount of information concerning such, if indeed they be encountered."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

After some inquiries are made, it is determined that the most suitable coffeehouse to visit would be Pickering's, located at not too far a distance. (Some other establishments, it is said, not being entirely reputable.) Upon arrival, it is seen to be a busy place at this time of day, the customers being nearly all male, although there are a few women present, these being either extremely charming or unusually intelligent, or, in rare cases, both. (The females found in some of the lower coffeehouses are of another kind entirely.)

After paying the traditional entrance fee of one penny, the visitors are free to seat themselves wherever they please, at any of the many large tables where lively conversation is in progress. Coffee, tea, or chocolate will be served as desired.

Currently, there are open seats at many tables. Several young men, apparently students on holiday from one of the great universities, are laughing and singing and engaging in mocking debate; a finely dressed, older lady is listening with great attention to the conversation of a trio of gentlemen ; merchants are haggling over business; a pair of young fellows are engaged in a game of backgammon; local officials discuss politics; a solitary man in black is concentrating on a manuscript, to which he often makes amendments with quill and ink. The freedom of the coffeehouse is a notable exception to the ordinary rules of society, and persons of all classes save the most disreputable may freely mingle and address each other without the need for introductions.

The port is a lively place, with all manner of people found along the narrow lanes that run along the harbor. It is well that Miss Davenport is accompanied by two gentlemen, as some among the crowd may be associated with activities of a unlawful nature. With this reassurance, one may safely explore Bingley's, a small shop whose windows are filled with curious objects from exotic lands; The Laughing Mermaid, a tavern, relatively quiet at this time of day and a bit more respectable in appearance that one might expect; or the newly arrived merchantman Pearl of the East, whose captain is engaging in merry banter with a group of men and women as the crew unloads her cargo.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"By whom shall we sit, Elizabeth?" asks Henry. "Seeing the students takes me back to my university days, but you might have another preference."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth gazes towards the group of students to whom Henry is suggesting, "By all accounts dear Henry let us sit by them. For they seem a most merry group, and I confess my soul craves laughter and merriment".
She steps towards the group and gestures at several empty seats, "Do you mind sirs, are these seats free?"
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

At the port, Lila espies the recently-docked ship from the east and turns to Mister Rachman. "I daresay you must be anxious for news of your homeland. Let us approach the captain. Besides, it is often necessary to be direct if one wishes to procure more unusual items."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Evidently delighted by the rare sight of a charming young lady within Pickering's, the young students stand, make low bows, and scurry around each other to be the first to offer her a seat at his side. Hasty introductions are made in a most informal manner, largely due to youth and merriment. Judging by the large number of empty cups upon the table, the consumption of a considerable amount of strong coffee, with its stimulating properties, may also be a factor.

It soon becomes evident that these young men are on holiday from Cambridge. Two of them -- Thomas and William -- are reading Mathematics for their upcoming Tripos, while the other two -- James and Richard -- are reading Classics. (It will be noted that the environment of the coffeehouse, and well as the high spirits of the youths, has encouraged the use of first names only.)

"We have just been debating the merits of our rival studies," explains Thomas.

"Yes," agrees Richard. "Clearly familiarity with the wisdom of the ancients is the only sound basis for education."

"Rot," Thomas says. "Maths underlie all of Creation. The Greek and Roman scribblers are merely footnotes."

"Maths! Figures to fatten a usurer's purse!" He turns to Doctor North. "What say you, sir?"

Meanwhile, Williams and James, apparently of a less academic nature, have been paying much attention to Miss Carrow, offering to bring her beverages and sweetmeats and making poetic comparisons of her eyes to the Aegean and her hair to fine spun gold, much in the manner of the romantic poetry composed by their compatriots at Cambridge. It is evident that they are becoming jealous of each other's gallantries, and that an argument may begin.

The Pearl of the East is an East Indiaman, of the smaller and swifter design which the Americans, in their vulgar way, have recently taken to calling a "clipper." It has just arrived with a cargo of tea, spices, and a miscellany of other items from the Orient. It will be noted that the vessel is armed, no doubt against the possibility of raids from pirates. The crew consists of men from all around the globe, their speech resembling that of the Tower of Babel. Mister Rachman is able to communicate with a few of the sailors from the East in their native tongue. This fact, combined with the amusing antics of his clever monkey, have won him friends among the seamen. Mister Witherly attempts to determine the exact nature of the ship's cargo. Meanwhile, the Captain, a black-haired, deeply tanned fellow by the name of McRae, has taken an interest in Miss Davenport, going so far as to boldly touch the scar on her face.

"And how might that mark of distinction have come to decorate so fair a cheek?" He grins and winks at her.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”