Page 1 of 1

Chapter the Sixth: A Peaceful Interlude

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:47 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Chapter the Sixth: A Peaceful Interlude; Or, The Calm Before the Storm

Only a week after sending the letter to General Rainsford, a reply is received at the London quarters of Doctor North.

My Lord,

I have read your recent entreaty with much interest. His Grace the Duke of Northumberland and I share an interest in thaumaturgy and other esoteric arts, having had some small success with alchemical experiments. If this knowledge can be of some service to you, I am at your disposal. Although I do not have the pleasure to be acquainted with Mister Harcourt, I sympathize with his affliction, having witnessed much suffering among the brave soldiers in the service of His Majesty.

After some time in conference with His Grace, we are in agreement that a meeting to discuss these matters would be of benefit. He has mentioned your name to me on more than one occasion as a gentleman of rare genius, whose researches are not fully appreciated by the commons.

I look forward to making your acquaintance with pleasure. I am certain that His Grace shares the same sentiments.

Yr ob't serv,

Cha. Rainsford

Appended to the letter is a formal invitation to dine with the Duke of Northumberland a certain number of nights hence. It is made clear that any reasonable number of guests are also welcome, His Grace being famous for his large dinner parties and his generosity.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
It will be not quite a fortnight since the guests left Harcourt House. During the next six days the adventurers may make whatever preparations they see fit. Being all currently lodging in London, it will be an easy matter for them to meet and discuss various matters of interest. Herr Hoffer has chosen to remain at Harcourt House, to assist with managing Mister Harcourt's affairs during his incapacity. Magda remains in a convalescent state and is slowly improving. Mister Dupray's condition is neither improved nor deteriorated.

Re: Chapter the Sixth: A Peaceful Interlude

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:05 am
by Mr. Handy

As soon as Henry receives the letter, he sends a message to each of the others and asks them all to meet at his lodgings so they can discuss matters.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:19 pm
by Rooter

Lila has spent the past week since arriving back in London fully recovering from the injury she sustained at the hands of Violette Dupray, exercising with her weapons and attempting to focus on other matters. Yet her experiences at Harcourt House are never far from her thoughts.

Upon receiving Doctor North's message she responds immediately that she will attend.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm
by Priest

It has been a week of relative boredom for Elizabeth. True she has been able to spend some time shopping and indulging in the latest gossip, yet she has missed the excitement of that time and with it the new friends she had made. So upon receipt of Henry's invitation her excitement soars. She speedily pens an acceptance and begins to plan her wardrobe for the meeting.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:20 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
It will soon be established that the following facts are well known to the general public about these two distinguished gentlemen.

General Charles Rainsford began his career as a young man during the War of the Austrian Succession, carrying the standard during the battle of Fontenoy, a major engagement during that long and complex conflict. He also served with distinction during the second Jacobite rebellion, as well as various periods of service in Gibraltar and Germany.

He was elected a member of the Royal Society some years ago and is known to be a Rosicrucian and a Freemason. He has corresponded with Illuminist groups on the continent and is considered to be something of an expert on the philosophical systems of the late Emanuel Swedenborg and the Kabbalist rabbi Hayyim Samuel Jacob Falk.

Hugh Percy, His Grace the Duke of Northumberland, served with the rank of Lieutenant General during the early years of the American Rebellion, but resigned his command due to disagreements with General William Howe. He is rather ill-favored in appearance, and afflicted with gout and poor vision. He has a reputation for a quick temper, but also for being generous and courteous.

It is expected that a formal dinner party held by such an illustrious figure will be nearly an all-day affair, with several courses served over many hours, as well as intervals of conversation, entertainment, and dancing. Due to the very large number of guests present, it will require some effort to have a private word with either of the two gentlemen. As well, it is also wise to keep in mind that fact the unexpected events may occur at any large ball or dinner, which could have an effect on one's social status.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm
by maelstrom
Duncan sits cross legged on the floor.
The letter that slid under his door dragging him from his thoughts. He eyes the envelope, with suspicion, through narrowed eyes.
Has time passed so quickly?
He glances around his room, the half eaten bowls of food. The salt piles and magical markings on the bare wood of the floor, the candles burnt down to stumps.
ah.... maybe. how time fleets.
He stands, his knees aching with the effort of moving after so long in one position. The air is heavy with the scent of incense and burnt candles. He walks across the room, careful not to disturb the chalk and salt markings on the floor.
He picks up the letter and opens it. Reading Dr. Norths message.
"It would seem my little friend, it is time to return to the world" he says with a smile.
A shrill chattering reply emanates from the rafters.

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:52 pm
by Rooter

At Doctor North's lodgings, Lila is pleased to see the others again.

"I fear gaining privacy with the esteemed general and the duke may prove no easy matter," she says. "It has been some time since I last played the games of high society. Be that as it may, I am sure we can each play a part in our approach so that the entire burden of introductions does not fall upon the good doctor."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you all for coming," says Henry with a smile when Ivan admits them. "I am pleased to see you all - especially you, Elizabeth. This is my new valet, Ivan." He indicates the hulking servant. "I'm sure all of us will be able to contribute. I have kept to myself in recent years, but I still remember how to play the games of high society. I can give everyone pointers on etiquette during the time we have before the dinner. Mr. Rachman's knowledge of the arcane will no doubt be useful, as will your own knowledge of the supernatural, Miss Davenport. And of course, your musical talents may be of use, Elizabeth, in addition to your obvious charms."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:33 am
by Priest

Elizabeth smiles at the assemblage, a smile that broadens in response to Henry's praise of her talents as well as his having missed her company. She has, for the occasion of the dinner party, purchased a fine dress of a glorious green silk, which she was assured by the dress maker, matched the green of her eyes.
"Dear friends, I will do my best to help us gain an interview with the Duke, whom I have heard is a most generous and polite gentleman. Of his companion, General Rainsford, I confess I know little other than his being a most gallant warrior. In their honour I have learned the musical piece by Herr Mozart presented to me most recently my rendition of which, I trust, may capture the gentlemen's attention"
She smiles again, her most beauteous and chaste smile which causes her eyes to flash like the ocean depths...

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 pm
by Rooter

"I have no doubt that it will, Elizabeth," Lila says. She hesitates before adding, "For my part I confess I have always been better at the dancing than the conversation when it comes to such formal occasions. The minuet, the waltz... Though I hope I am not too out of practice."
Spoiler:
OOC:   Dancing isn't mentioned in my character creation but I'm just floating it as an idea based on her noble upbringing and the fact she has the lowest Charisma but the highest Dexterity.  

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:43 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:
"I have no doubt that it will, Elizabeth," Lila says. She hesitates before adding, "For my part I confess I have always been better at the dancing than the conversation when it comes to such formal occasions. The minuet, the waltz... Though I hope I am not too out of practice."
Spoiler:
OOC:   Dancing isn't mentioned in my character creation but I'm just floating it as an idea based on her noble upbringing and the fact she has the lowest Charisma but the highest Dexterity.  
Spoiler:
Since successful dancing is based on an ability check against Dexterity, this is perfectly appropriate.
All agree that this raises an interesting topic for discussion. It is one of the great paradoxes of high society that it may look with disfavor upon those who are too conformist as lacking verve and style, but also disdain those who violate the myriad unwritten rules of proper behavior. To pass safely between the Scylla of dullness and the Charybdis of scandal is a difficult task indeed.

As a convenient illustration of this dilemma, brought up by Miss Davenport's remarks, it may be noted that the minuet, a stately series of movements, is perfectly respectable at all times, but may be considered somewhat sedate by the fashionable. Performing it well might earn one respect for propriety, but performing it poorly could result in ridicule.

In contrast, the waltz, newly imported from the continent and often thought of as daring, due to the closeness of the partners, presents different challenges. To perform it well may win one a reputation as a fearless innovator, while performing it poorly could render one disreputable.

Similar challenges may arise concerning many other aspects of such an affair. What should one wear? What type of wig and powder and headgear? (The way one dresses is, fairly or not, much more of a concern for the ladies than for the gentlemen. They take greater risks, but may win greater acclaim.) Equal consideration must be given to one's behavior during conversation, gaming, dining, and so on.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we will gain a private audience by playing it safe," says Henry. "Yet at the same time, we don't want to be too daring. I think performing a waltz may have a better effect than a minuet."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:39 pm
by Rooter

"Indeed, doctor," Lila agrees.

Discussing the myriad potential social pitfalls with the others, she is cognizant of the care she will have to take in general and as a woman. She admires Elizabeth's choice of green silk and realizes that a visit to a tailor's shop is in order for her to obtain a dress more colorful and fashionable than the somewhat somber clothes she has become accustomed to wearing in the far from glamorous life of a hunter. Nevertheless she decides to forego the elaborate wig and powder--her complexion is naturally rather pale in any case--in favor of making a progressive statement by wearing her hair in a natural style and applying only a small amount of make-up.

Despite the seriousness of their goal she finds herself quietly anticipating the return--however brief--to the pomp and splendor of high society.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:18 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
The day has come. As per the instructions accompanying the invitation, the festivities are to begin with a morning promenade at ten of the clock in the pleasure garden of His Grace's estate. It is a very busy place, with many persons of the upper classes strolling leisurely on the scrupulously maintained paths which wend their way among stately trees and hedges. Often a servant accompanies a master or mistress. Lone musicians wander through the crowd and vendors of beverages offer their wares. Conversations range from trivial to consequential. One may overhear gossip, assignations, biting witticisms at the expense of those not present, flirtations, philosophical musings, literary criticisms, and political arguments, to name only a few of the topics under discussion. In such a whirl of humanity, it is not entirely surprising that strange events are likely to occur.
Spoiler:
It is only fair to advise the players that this Interlude will involve several random incidents, not directly related to their quest. These may aid or hinder their progress, or be irrelevant. The manner in which they are addressed may have future consequences. The die rolls you will see here are for the use of your Presenter, that she may be as uncertain of what is to come as the players.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
To the evident surprise of all present, a fox runs wildly through the crowd, as if in pursuit of its prey, or, perhaps, as if it is being pursued. Dashing this way and that, causing great excitement among the ladies (not to mention the tiny dogs carried by many of them,) it eventually races directly at the adventurers. "Tally-Ho!" shouts one comical fellow, although of course this is neither the time nor the place for a hunt.

In what manner will you react?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry steps aside to allow the fox to pass.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:03 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry steps aside to allow the fox to pass.
There are a number of other persons nearby.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Dexterity (plus one for the True Innocent nearby) to avoid bumping into someone.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry tries to avoid other people, but he barely brushes against someone.
OOC,Dexterity roll (10 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 11) to avoid bumping into someone: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:58 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Doctor North brushes against a heavily powdered and rouged lady, setting her elaborate coiffure awry. "Well!" she says, with a flounce of her fan, marching away before an apology can be offered.

The fox continues to scurry about at a rapid pace, often returning to areas where it has already been, as if it is confused by the large number of humans surrounding it. The other adventurers will most likely need to react to it in some way or another momentarily.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:20 am
by Rooter

Conscious of the necessity to retain a stately composure Lila looks around for a servant, the nearest being Doctor North's hulking valet Ivan. "Good man, kindly apprehend that poor animal."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:49 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:Conscious of the necessity to retain a stately composure Lila looks around for a servant, the nearest being Doctor North's hulking valet Ivan. "Good man, kindly apprehend that poor animal."
Spoiler:
If Ivan chooses to obey this request, he must make an Ability Check against his Dexterity to seize it; if successful, another must be made to avoid being bitten. He will have the one point bonus for being near the True Innocent. (If the first Ability Check fails, the fox will run off and not be seen again.)

If Ivan choses not to obey this request, the fox will continue its random scurrying and will disrupt the movements of the adventurers until it is dealt with in some manner.

Bitten or not, the first successful Ability Check will allow Ivan to retain the fox.

If retained, Miss Carrow may attempt to tame the fox with an Ability Check against Charisma. If successful, it will become her loyal pet. If unsuccessful, the fox will remain wild and must be dealt with in some manner.

Mister Rachman make attempt to cast an appropriate spell at any time if this seems appropriate.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:15 pm
by Priest

Elizabeth, at first startled by the appearance of the creature, finds herself increasingly amused by the effect the rushing animal is having on the 'ladies' of the party. She is however tasteful enough to hide that amusement behind a concealing fan, which she flutters in a most animated and ladylike manner. She feels for the obvious alarm that the fox is consumed by and moves towards it in the hope she may, in some way, be able to protect it from the more bloodthirsty of the gathering. It is after all nothing more than a fearfilled animal and she has encountered far scarier things of late.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Ivan is accustomed to obedience. When one of his master's friends tells him to do something, he does it without hesitating or even thinking about it. The sight of the lovely Elizabeth standing nearby inspires him, and he manages to get hold of the little creature. The fox nips him when he seizes it, but Ivan is good at enduring pain and maintains his hold on it.
OOC,[b]Ivan[/b]'s Dexerity roll (9 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 10) trying to catch the fox: [dice]0[/dice] Dexterity roll (9 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 10) to avoid being bitten: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
The bite of the fox does not usually cause very severe injury. In this case, however, the loyal and brave Ivan has suffered a moderate wound.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
It occurs to Doctor North that there is some chance that the animal is a carrier of hydrophobia, a most dread disease.
Spoiler:
Only if I roll a twenty. [dice]0[/dice]
Fortunately, close inspection reveals that the fox appears quite healthy. Held firmly in the strong hands of the Russian valet, it seems to direct its attention to Miss Carrow.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against Charisma to determine if the fox can be tamed.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:28 pm
by maelstrom
Duncan dressed in his finest attire, and feeling more that a little uncomfortable amidst the social grandeur. Turns and smiles at miss Carrow.
"Work your charms well, miss Carrow. Who knows who's eyes are upon you now, nor what interest may be stirred"

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:47 pm
by Priest

Elizabeth watches the large manservant, Ivan, struggling to hold the small furry animal despite its furious attempts to bite him. She moves to his side and makes a small clucking sound, much as one might to a small child, however it seems to have little effect as the fox continues its attempts at escape. Yet she perseveres and a calm seems gradualy to encompass the fox, and with a slow gentle movement she extends her hand towards the now unstruggling, yet panting, creature.
"There, there little friend where did you come from?" she coos.
Charisma,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/446538]Charisma roll - Fox Taming 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]16[/b] Alas!! However, I may risk one of my Grace Points and reroll as this may be an important moment. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/446542]Charima reroll; 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]7[/b] Hurrah for a second attempt!

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
It would seem to be a reasonable hypothesis that the fox was once a lady's pet, now strayed from its mistress. How else to explain that it now behaves in the manner of a lap dog? It will lie quietly in the arms of Miss Carrow, or follow at her feet, or, when necessary, allowed itself to be tied up in a secure place and await her return.
Spoiler:
Which reminds me -- Mister Rachman should indicate the current location of his familiar. If it remains with him, it is sure to draw attention.
If Miss Carrow wishes to give it a name, it may be relevant to note that it is a vixen. It is rather small for a member of its kind, and quite lovely, with soft, rich fur, deep red above and pure white below. (An indication that it has been groomed by its mistress.) It will attempt to nip at anyone who tries to harm its mistress.
Spoiler:
The characteristics of a fox:

Perversity: 9
Disposition: Cautious
Charisma: 8 Intelligence: 4 Wisdom: 18
Strength: 3 Dexterity: 16 Constitution: 9
Speed: 11 walking, 3 burrowing
Armor Class: None
Hit Dice: 0 (1-3 hp)
Attacks: 1 (1-2 points from bite)
Special Abilities: Nightvision, Superior Hearing, Superior Sense of Smell
Weaknesses: Afraid of Fire, Fascinated By Light
Assets: Leaping, Swimming
Afflictions: None
Preternatural Powers: None

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Elizabeth," says Henry. "Good job, Ivan. Give Elizabeth the fox, and then I'll see to your wound." Ivan hands the fox over to her, and Henry examines his bite.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:05 pm
by Priest

"My thanks sir", says Elizabeth smiling at the large servant as he passes her the small furry bundle. For a moment or two she eyes the small creature noting that it seems quite content to nestle in her arms, "Hmm, I think I shall call you 'lucky' as there can be no little doubt that you have been indeed most lucky this night". With a small musical laugh she tickles the head of the now at peace fox.

"Dear Henry, may I prevail upon you to have your fine man, Ivan, take care of Lucky for the rest of this evening? For I fear for such a small harmless creature in the precense of these fine, upstanding gentlemen of the hunt"

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:51 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Adequate arrangements have been made for the accommodation of the servants of His Grace's guests. It would seem prudent to allow Ivan to rest and allow his injury to heal, while enjoying the company of members of his own class as well as nutritious, if not elegant, provisions. Lucky is content with table scraps and the amused attention of the other servants.

At about noon the guests make their way into the dining halls for the first course of the day. It consists of a wide variety of soups, both clear and cream-based, as well as fish and small game birds prepared in numerous ways. The guests select which dishes they wish, keeping in mind the fact that this is only a small portion of the victuals which will be presented throughout the day and evening. White wine is served, and toasts are made to all present, requiring an amount of time far greater than the simple act of eating.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Even during the daytime, each table is brightly lit with numerous candles. These are, of course, not entirely without hazard.

During a particularly long and dreary toast, presented by a gentleman whose wit is not as acute as he seems to think it, the attention of a lady near the adventurers, who is wearing a particularly elaborate hairstyle, wanders. Carelessly, she leans toward her nearest companion in such a way that her coiffure touches a candle. Suddenly her hair is aflame!

How will you react?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

While the obvious instinctual thing to do would be to pour water on her head, Henry knows that would be disgraceful - and also completely unnecessary. As a scientist, he knows that fire needs oxygen from the air in order to burn. Deprive a fire of oxygen, and it will quickly be extinguished. Lavoisier is a genius, he thinks as he looks around for a bowl of the appropriate size, preferably an empty one. If he can't find an empty bowl of the right size, he'll simply take such a bowl that isn't empty and pour its contents out into another container. Then he intends to upend the empty bowl and places it over the woman's head to smother the flames.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:39 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Thanks to Doctor North's quick thinking, and the fortunate happenstance that a bowl formerly containing terrapin soup (the popularity of which has led to the fact that its tureen is very nearly empty) is at hand, tragedy is averted. The lady's coiffure, its lavender color betraying the fact that it is a wig, is damaged, but no harm has come to its wearer. The lady in question, a matron of middle years, sputters a few unintelligible sounds, then runs off, no doubt to adjust her appearance. The gentleman seated next to her, a portly fellow with thin gray hair and spectacles, rises with a wide smile.

"Handsomely done, sir! I told Polly that the grotesquely elaborate hair styles currently in vogue are not only unseemly in their preening vanity, but impractical as well. But what is the word of a husband compared to the tyranny of that whimsical monarch Fashion? Much gratitude, sir, for more amusement than I have been afforded in a very long time."

Introductions are made. The gentleman, one Samuel Perkins, Esquire, a surveyor and draughtsman in service to many aristocrats, is interested in the adventurers' situation.

"I suspect that General Rainsford and His Grace may be found in one of the game rooms between courses, at play at billiards. Good luck in your quest."

This proves to be sound advice. Amongst other ladies and gentlemen amusing themselves at backgammon, piquet, and other innocent pastimes, may be found the General and the Duke concentrating with great fervor over their game. Engaged also at billiards are a few other persons of both sexes. An appreciable sum of money passes hands frequently, as wagers are made, often over a single play. At length one of the players withdraws, opening a space at the table.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Which of us shall play?" Henry asks his friends. "The game of billiards is simple physics, of which I have knowledge. The angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Of course, there's still the matter of being nimble enough to get the balls to go where one intends. I'm not bad at that, though I suspect Miss Davenport would be for more accurate than I. Perhaps if she plays, I could use a system to signal her as to which ball she should try to knock into which hole. Hmm...there are fifteen balls...yes, I can uniquely identify a ball by number with four fingers. I could extend the fingers of my left hand to indicate the number of the ball. My pinky will count for one, my ring finger for two, my middle finger for four, and my index finger for eight. Just add up the numbers of the fingers you see, and you'll know which ball I indicate. I can do something similar with three fingers of my right hand to specify the pocket, as there are six of those. We can just number them arbitrarily, with the far right pocket being number one and proceeding clockwise. Of course, that doesn't tell you which edges to bounce it off. Perhaps I should just play."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:07 am
by Rooter

"As you wish, doctor," Lila concurs, not quite managing to follow the thread of his explanation. "You may be afforded the opportunity to introduce us to our hosts. Of course, Mister Rachman has proven himself to be good at games and I'm sure will make an able deputy. Elizabeth and I shall be on hand to offer our support."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:20 pm
by Priest

At Lila's words Elizabeth nods an agreement, "Please carry on dear Henry, as Miss Davenport says I shall do my best to be of support in this endevour"

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:37 pm
by maelstrom
" As miss Davenport, mentioned, I do seemed to aquired some luck at games. But again, as with the wist, billiards is something I have nothing more than a passing aquaintence with. With some intruction, I would be more than willing to try my luck" Duncan smiles and gives a small bow towards Henry.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:03 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Quick introductions are made. Although the two distinguished gentlemen are well aware of their visitors' intention to discuss Mister Harcourt's condition, it is evident that they would prefer to delay such matters until the end of the evening. For the moment the game is of far more importance.

After some discussion it is agreed that General Rainsford and the Duke of Northumberland shall play as a team against Miss Davenport and Mister Rachman. Doctor North will be allowed to dispense advice as to the best shots to be made, and Miss Carrow is welcome to provide inspiration for her comrades. A quick explanation of the game is offered to Mister Rachman.

Balls carved from ivory cover the wool covering of the wooden table. Each player is issued a stick known as a mace. The end of the mace is thick and blunt, and is used to push the balls. The other end, known as the queue, is thin and pointed, and may be used to strike the balls for certain difficult shots. A hoop and an upright stick serve as targets, as well as shallow pockets in the corners of the table.

The talented Mister Perkins is at hand to provide a sketch of the game.

"A small wager always adds interest to any test of skill," His Grace announces. General Rainsford nods in agreement. "My friend and I would be willing to hazard a gold guinea each upon the outcome. Perhaps one among you has some item of value which you would be willing to risk?"

This requires some thought. It seems unlikely that Doctor North would place the Cauterizer at risk, nor Mister Rachman his kris. Miss Davenport has more than one weapon on her person, as well as the blessed rosary, and Miss Carrow still carries the vial containing the alleged love potion. Perhaps one of the four adventurers has some other item on hand. Will one of them volunteer to meet His Grace's wager?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 pm
by Rooter

After a moment's consideration, Lila recalls one unusual item still in her possession: the mysterious black rose she was gifted on that fateful night of their first encounter with the masked highwayman. Knowing of the two gentlemen's interest in the occult, she retrieves the unnatural bloom and proffers it for inspection. "What of this, sirs?"

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
His Grace examines the flower closely. "Strange; most strange. It would make an enviable addition to my cabinet of curiosities, would it not, Charles?"

"Indeed. I venture to say that there is not another like it in the whole of England."

This statement by General Rainsford may cause the adventurers to exchange knowing looks.

"Very well," His Grace continues. "I accept your terms. Let us see who shall emerge the victor."
Spoiler:
In order to keep events moving, I shall make several die rolls on behalf of those engaged in the game.

The Dexterity of the General and of the Duke will be 9, with no modifications.

[dice]185879:0[/dice]
The General begins with an excellent shot, scoring both on the hoop and a pocket.
Spoiler:
[dice]185879:1[/dice]
The Duke does not aim so well, and scores no points.
Spoiler:
One roll to see if Doctor North's mathematical calculations are of benefit.

INT = 12 + 1 for Scientific Knowledge + 1 for the True Innocent = 14

[dice]185879:2[/dice]
Doctor North is able to plan an effective strategy for his comrades.
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman's Dexterity is 13 + 3 for Good at Games + 1 for the True Innocent + 1 for Doctor North's strategy = 18

[dice]185879:3[/dice]

Miss Davenport's Dexterity is 18 + 1 for the True Innocent + 1 for Doctor North's strategy = 20

[dice]185879:4[/dice]
Surprisingly, given the extraordinary skill of her fingers, Miss Davenport does not play quite as well as expected. Mister Rachman, with his enviable luck, ties with the General. The wager is not yet settled. The game continues between the two remaining participants.
Spoiler:
[dice]185879:5[/dice]

[dice]185879:6[/dice]
Mister Rachman wins a gold sovereign from each of the hosts.

After this enjoyable diversion, the guests have sufficiently digested the light first course (and discreetly made any visits to conveniences as may be required) to allow for dancing to take place prior to the heavier second course. All proceed to the large ballroom, where a number of musicians are tuning their instruments. The players may make any preparations they see fit.
Spoiler:
In editing this posting I have somehow messed up my dice codes, so you'll have to take my word for it. It worked out OK for you, in any case.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry turns to Elizabeth, a smile on his face. "Elizabeth, would you please do me the honour of giving me the first dance?" he asks, hope in his voice.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:30 am
by Priest

Elizabeth unable to unravel the intricacies of this game, yet aware of the passion of competition it has aroused, is glad of the chance to move away from the table. She smiles her most beautific smile making sure to include all within range, and courtesies to the doctor, "I should be pleased to accept though I confess little aptitude for dancing, having been accused by my tutor as possessing two left feet". Again that laugh, at once so virtuous yet with a mixture of carefree abandon with a hint of childish delight that makes it so appealing, then with a swirl of emerald green silk she moves towards the dance floor in readiness for the next dance.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:52 pm
by Rooter

Lila somewhat more sedately moves to wait with the other not-yet partnered ladies hoping for a turn with one of the gentlemen guests.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry follows Elizabeth out to the dance floor. "I'm sure you'll do fine, my dear," he says, enraptured. "Shall we try a waltz?"

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:08 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Whilst the musicians are engaged in preparations (and not a little gossip), several unattended ladies and gentlemen walk casually about the room, exchanging glances, whispers, and, on the part of the ladies, carefully calculated movements of fans. One gentleman in particular attracts attention because of his unusual appearance. His black hair is worn long, neither hidden by a wig nor tied back with a ribbon. His dark complexion is free for all to see, without a trace of powder. His clothing is black and unadorned, almost like that of a servant, but it is of very fine make. His expression is brooding, his posture slightly bent, his hands held behind his back. He paces rapidly, as if he is searching for something. Despite his eccentric dress, he is undeniably a handsome and attractive figure.

The reactions of those around him are varied. Some avoid him, while others, primarily ladies, address him with smiles. He is polite to all, but seems distracted. For a moment his attention is drawn to Miss Carrow; a not uncommon happening, to be sure, but in this case one cannot help but be reminded of a moth circling a flame. When he sees that she is accompanied by Doctor North, he turns away. As chance would have it, he faces Miss Davenport.

"I do not know you," he says. "I am George Witherly."

This most irregular introduction confirms the impression made by his clothing and manner that Mister Witherly is not one to bow to the dictates of society. As further evidence, his next words are even more bold and unconventional.

"You are a fine-looking woman. I want to dance with you."

Before any response can be made, Mister Witherly strides over to the musicians, speaks to them briefly, and offers them a few coins. Upon his return the players begin the opening bars of a waltz -- perhaps requested by Mister Witherly in response to Doctor North's invitation -- which causes much excited conversation among the guests. He holds his hand out to Miss Davenport.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am
by Rooter

At first taken aback by the directness of the gentleman's approach, Lila hesitates. Yet his handsome appearance and intriguing demeanor--not to mention the warmth rising to her cheeks at his compliment--are undeniable. Aware of the onlookers' gazes upon them, she smiles and takes his hand as the music swells.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:55 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
A number of the more conservatively dressed and older guests are taken aback by the selection of this modern form of dance. Others, more fashionable and younger, are eager to join in, with many a laugh at their own daring. Some seem quite skilled at this radical pastime, while others are less than adept.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow DEX = 7; she does not receive a bonus for herself as a True Innocent, only inspiring others.

[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Carrow, although new to the waltz and, truth be told, not exceptionally gifted at the terpsichorean art, dances lightly and gracefully, charming all who see her.
Spoiler:
Doctor North DEX = 10 +1 = 11

[dice]1[/dice]
Doctor North can only struggle to keep up with the sylph-like movements of his partner, and provides a figure of fun for some of the more frivolous guests present.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport DEX = 18 + 1 = 19

[dice]2[/dice]
Due to her former position, Miss Davenport has great experience with social dancing, and carries off the waltz with perfection.
Spoiler:
Mister Witherly = 9 + 1 = 10

[dice]3[/dice]
Her new acquaintance Mister Witherly proves to be equally adept. Many of the other guests gather around them, curious about this strangely haunted-looking but attractive couple. It seems likely that their example will make the waltz a popular choice for the courageous.

During moments when the partners are particularly close, Mister Witherly takes the opportunity to whisper to Miss Davenport. Indicating Miss Carrow with a tilt of his head, he says "Some have descended from the Empyrean realms, it seems. But you and I have walked through Hell!"

Before a response can be made to this extraordinary statement, a strange incident interrupts the festivities.
Spoiler:
[dice]4[/dice]
A very respectable lady of middle years -- oh, dear, is it the hapless Mrs Perkins again? -- slips and falls, knocking over several waltzing couples. A group of very fashionable ladies titter in amusement at her evident consternation. They soon begin an unheard conversation of sorts, making use of their fans to communicate with one another. It is obvious that they are discussing Mrs Perkins in ways that they would not dare to speak aloud. This may be the moment of her fall from grace.

How will you react?

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I could ask her to dance," Henry suggests, "but that is unlikely to help her reputation if I cannot dance better than I already have. Perhaps Mr. Rachman coukd. He currently lacks a partner."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 am
by maelstrom
Duncan, caring less for the approval of polite society than most, has nothing to loose by trying to aid Mrs Perkins. Walking over Duncan catches her attention, smile and bows towards her.
"Mrs Perkins,if it's not to bold to presume. Would you do me the honour of the next dance?"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Mrs Perkins is too flustered to do more than nod her acceptance. The musicians, perhaps in an attempt to create an aura of calm after this unwelcome excitement, begin to play a stately minuet. (Miss Carrow, with her newfound musical knowledge, will recognize it as one of many composed by the gifted Herr Mozart.) Many eyes are upon Mrs Perkins and her exotic partner.
Spoiler:
Mrs Perkins DEX = 9 + 1 =10
[dice]0[/dice]
It would appear that grace of movement is not one of Mrs Perkins virtues.
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman DEX = 13 + 1 = 14
[dice]1[/dice]
Being a stranger to this form of amusement, Mister Rachman does not display excessive skill either, much to the amusement of the bevy of stylish ladies.

Seeing this, Mister Witherly bows his head quickly to Miss Davenport. Hands locked behind his back, bent forward at a noticeable angle, he marches towards the gossipers.

"Although you bear the plumage of peacocks, you have the hearts of vultures."

The only audible responses are gasps. There is much excited fluttering of fans.

It is time for the second course of the dinner. Mister Witherly offers his arm to Miss Davenport.

"If you would dare to run the risk of scandal?"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 pm
by Rooter

Lila is quietly amused and impressed by Mister Witherly's bold flaunting of propriety--and her curiosity piqued by his earlier remarks. "Indeed, sir," she replies, taking his arm.

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 pm
by Priest

Elizabeth smiling at the obvious distress caused to the 'ladies' by Mr Witherley turns to Dr North whispering at she does, "Dear Henry, at the risk of appearing forward and somewhat wanton, may I ask if you will escort me in this dance?"

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:00 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
The second course is served. It consists primarily of roast meats of various kinds, including wild game. There are also thick stews, breads, and an assortment of vegetables, the bounty of summer making this possible. Red wine replaces white, and there are also spirits available, as well as mineral water for those who are unable to handle much strong drink. It will be noted that, among his other eccentricities, Mister Witherly dines only on vegetables and water.

The conversation turns naturally to their illustrious hosts. "No fools, they," he admits. "More than I can say for most dabblers in alchemy. Not chasing gold, anyway. Worth talking to."

After the leisurely dining is completed, a servant announces that there is to be a Grand Entertainment, the nature of which is kept secret. When the guests gather in a large room which has been designed as a private theater, it is revealed that each present will be required to provide some form of amusement for the assembly. Although no one is eager to be first, eventually a volunteer steps up. One by one the others sing, dance, recite monologues comic or dramatic, and so on. Mister Witherly delivers an impassioned, if at times difficult to follow, speech on the political philosophy of the late Monsieur Rousseau, much of which is shockingly radical in outlook.

At last the four adventurers are called upon to make a contribution.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry had been only too delighted to dance with Elizabeth again.

When the time comes for him to entertain, he decides to use some of the chemicals he carries to provide a scientific demonstration. He uses tongs to hold a small quantity of each substance over a candle's flame to show how they burn in different colors, which can be used to help identify them. He culminates the experiment by first blowing out the candle and then taking out a small vial of phosphorous, which he carefully uncorks while making sure everyone stays back for safety reasons to show that it produces a green glow when it's exposed to the air. Fortunately, it is not hot enough at night for it to actually combust. The demonstration concluded, he replaces the cork securely.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:17 am
by Rooter

Lila performs a solo dance routine for the guests, catching Mister Witherly's eye as she sways, steps and glides in time to the music.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 am
by maelstrom
Duncan faces the crowd and bows low.
”Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me to furnish you with a tale from my distant home, the magical island of Java. The tale of Lord Barong and the demon Queen Rangda.”

Mahendradatta was a Javanese princess, sister of Dharmawangsa of the East Javanese Isyana Dynasty. She was the queen consort of Balinese king Udayana and Mother to Airlangga. Mahendradatta was known for her devotion to the worship of Durga in Bali.

Mahendradatta sought out the mysteries and followed a path away from the light, eventually found out she was condemned by Airlangga's father because she practiced black magic.

She was cast out in disgrace and became known as Rangda. Hurt and humiliated, she sought revenge upon her ex-husband's court and the whole of his kingdom. She summoned all the evil spirits in the jungle, the leyaks and the demons that caused plague and death throghout the kingdom.

Airlangga stood to face his own mother, to save the kingdom. A fight occurred, but she and her black magic aided troops were so powerful that Airlangga had to ask for the help from the spirit king, Barong in order to defeat her.

Barong came with Airlangga's soldiers, and the fight ensued. Rangda cast a spell that made Airlangga's soldiers all want to kill themselves, pointing their keris at their own stomachs and chests. In response, Barong cast a spell which caused the soldiers body's to be resistant to the sharp keris. A mighty battle raged and Rangda seeing that her darkness could not overpower the light of Barong, fled the field, so as to spill her bile and venom from the shadows but never again in battle.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:36 pm
by Priest

Elizabeth furrows her brow at Mr Rachman's tale, Alas, she thinks, hardly a tale fit for a dinner table. Yet she resolves to lighten the mood a little with a rendition of the Libereto so recently recieved from Herr Mozart, hoping that the piece's somewhat dark tone will not darken the mood of the party any further.

addressing the assemblage she, in her sweetest voice, begins;
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Sarastro
Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr.
Verstossen sei auf ewig,
Verlassen sei auf ewig,
Zertrümmert sei'n auf ewig
Alle Bande der Natur
Wenn nicht durch dich!
Sarastro wird erblassen!
Hört, Rachegötter,
Hört der Mutter Schwur!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:13 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
After Mister and Mrs Perkins finish a scene from Mister Goldsmith's popular comedy "She Stoops to Conquer," the assembled guests discuss the skill, or lack thereof, with which each offering was performed.
Spoiler:
Doctor North INT = 12 +1 +1 = 14

[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's lucid explanation for the striking colors produced by the chemicals wins the admiration of the more intellectual members of the audience, negating any loss of social status which may have been incurred through earlier mishaps. (Somewhere in the crowd might be overheard a whisper of "Black magic!" from one of more superstitious temperament.)
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport DEX = 18 + 1 = 19

[dice]1[/dice]
It is not at all surprising that Miss Davenport is able to perform a solo dance with great skill. Among the many voices crying "Brava!" is that of Mister Witherly, who seems quite taken with the performance.
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman CHA = 8 + 1 = 9

[dice]2[/dice]
Unfortunately, it seems as if Mister Rachman's exotic tale proves bewildering to most of the guests, who are unfamiliar with the culture of his homeland. ("Pagan witchcraft," murmurs someone in the crowd.)
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow CON = 9 + 3 = 12

[dice]3[/dice]
Miss Carrow is able to perform the very difficult aria without error, leading to a sustained burst of applause.

The guests proceed to the third and final course, which consists of fresh fruits, sweetmeats, jams, jellies, and creams, served with sweet wines. Surrounding the various desserts are elaborate sculptures carved from cakes and confections, in the shape of gardens and forests full of tiny animals. In the center of each table a candy dolphin leaps from a pool of water.

After the sweets, coffee is served in several smaller rooms, where one is encouraged to engage in conversation. As the adventurers mingle with the other guests, a number of topics come up for discussion.

For those interested in politics, there is the newly approved Dolben's Act, which restricts the number of slaves which may be carried in each ship, in an attempt to reduce the mortality of the passage. Some abolitionists approve of the Act as a first step, while others see it only as a way to make the slave trade seem legitimate. There is the recent riot in Grenoble, France, which some (including Mister Witherly) interpret as a prelude to open revolt against Louis XVI. Some are pleased to see the traditional enemy of England suffer these disturbances, while others worry that the spirit of rebellion may spread.

For those of more literary inclination, there is a new novel, Mary: A Fiction. Although published anonymously, rumor has it that it was written by a woman, perhaps one who shares her heroine's name. The work depicts a woman who is highly intelligent, opinionated, and unconventional. Some see it as bold, others as shocking.

There are, of course, many other topics under discussion. To be accepted in society, one must prove oneself to have opinions which are original, without being scandalous; witty, without being frivolous; and intelligent, without being incomprehensible.

Which conversation will you join, or initiate, and what will you say?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:43 pm
by Rooter

Having visited France some months earlier--albeit under the duress of a preternatural foe--Lila is inclined to agree with Mister Witherly's outlook and engages him and the other guests with some reminiscences of the common scenes she witnessed there: the widespread food shortages, the unrest among the general populace. "It is the people who now cannot afford to buy bread that I have pity for. We must not forget that it is the poor who always suffer the most in these circumstances. And why should it be only the nuns in their abbeys who perform acts of charity? I fear a weak nobility may deserve revolution for failing in their common duty."

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:40 pm
by Priest

Her cheeks still radiating from the reception of her rendition of the Mozart, Elizabeth quickly joins a discussion that ranges from music to litterature.

"Of course I find myself in some sympathy with the view expressed several years ago by the Reverend James Peacock as to Francis Bacon being the actual author of the works ascribed to Mr Shakespeare. Although possibly a heretical thought I feel that the name William Shakespeare is nothing more than a pseudonym for Francis Bacon in the event of upsetting the Tudor monarchy"

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry joins the literary discussion. "I find the character of Mary to be realistic," he says, a wistful look forming in his eyes. "She reminds me in many ways of my late wife, Julia. Ah, she was as brilliant as she was beautiful. She was more intelligent even than I, a very fast learner, and with a keen interest in the sciences. I taught her everything I knew, which did not take long, and then she surpassed me. Had she lived, she could have been a great scientist, and there would have been no limit to what the two of us could have accomplished together. She had the idea to harness the power of James Watt's steam engine to move carriages and ships. Do not underestimate women, for they can be far more clever than men often give them credit for. Had she been born a man, she could have accomplished anything. With an Oxford education like my own, she could have made even greater strides. Of course, had I proposed that they admit female students at Oxford, they would have called me mad." In fact he had done just that, and they had called him mad, but revealing that fact might not be the best course of action.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:01 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
It would seem that Mister Rachman would prefer to listen rather than speak; often a wise decision for one who is inevitably seen as something of an outsider.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport INT = 11 + 1 = 12

[dice]0[/dice]
Despite her experiences in France, the men discussing politics dismiss Miss Davenport's views, primarily because of her sex.

"To paraphrase the great Doctor Johnson," one portly gentleman of advanced age remarks, "A woman speaking of world affairs is like a dog walking on its hind legs. It is not done well, but you are surprised to find it done at all."

There is much amusement, primarily among those of the male sex. Mister Witherly is quick to offer his sympathy for the way she has been treated.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow INT = 8

[dice]1[/dice]
By way of contrast, Miss Carrow's opinion as to the authorship of the works generally ascribed to the Bard of Avon excite much interest and lively debate. Some defend the honor of Shakespeare, others dismiss him as an "upstart crow" and claim that his writings were actually created by others. (One eccentric fellow states firmly that the true author was none other than Queen Elizabeth; a notion which finds no support from others.)

In any case, Miss Carrow wins admiration for offering a compelling topic for discussion.
Spoiler:
Doctor North INT = 12 + 1 = 13

[dice]2[/dice]
Doctor North has also impressed the other guests with a well-reasoned and convincing argument for the intellectual rights of women. Although a few of the men remain skeptical, they admit that he has presented a strong case. The ladies, many of whom fancy themselves, sometimes with reason, as sophisticates are delighted by his praise for their faculties.

Overall, the four adventurers have navigated the treacherous shoals of society adequately. It is true that there have been a few mishaps, but that is only to be expected. Remarkably, Miss Carrow has managed to avoid any faux pas. For this reason, she is invited to serve as a representative for the group.

Once the majority of the guests have departed for the evening, Miss Carrow and her companions are invited to a private audience with His Grace. It seems he is eager to display the contents of his Cabinet of Curiosities, previously mentioned during the game of billiards. This is a large and expertly wrought piece of furniture, in which a wide variety of unusual items are displayed behind glass.

Some items represent the Animal Kingdom.
Spoiler:
[dice]3[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]4[/dice]
Specifically, there is the nest of a paper wasp; a dried starfish and a dried seahorse; the mummified body of a curious animal, seemingly part mammal and part reptile, from the newly colonized and mysterious land of Australia; the gigantic and gaudy feathers of a bird native to the southern part of the Americas; and, frightful to behold, a hideously deformed fetus, preserved in a jar.

There is also an item from the realm of Flora.
Spoiler:
[dice]5[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]6[/dice]
This takes the form of a large, deep red, irregular ball of resin derived from a tropical tree. (Mister Rachman will be able to recognize this as jerang, a product obtained from the rattan palm, said to have beneficial medical properties.) The substance is popularly known as Dragon's Blood.

Some curiosities are of a mineral nature.
Spoiler:
[dice]7[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]8[/dice]
To wit: An oddly shaped black pearl; the fossil of a peculiar worm-like creature of ancient times; a large diamond; a nugget of gold; a tiny stone said to have fallen from the sky; an unusual, bright blue lump of clay; arrowheads chipped from flint, found in the American colonies; a piece of bone-white coral from the coast of Australia; and a lumpy, roughly spherical rock which has been split open to reveal a beautiful crystalline interior of many colors.

Lastly, there are various oddities which fall outside these categories.
Spoiler:
[dice]9[/dice]
Spoiler:
[dice]10[/dice]
Specifically, there is a small mirror of remarkable clarity; an iron maiden, serving as a grim reminder of medieval horrors; and a peculiar book, bound in an unfamiliar type of leather, and filled with writing in no known language.

The guests are free to examine these items and to make inquiries as to what might be known of them.

His Grace nods to Miss Davenport. "I failed to win the ebony blossom from you, due to your Oriental friend's skill at billiards." Turning to Miss Carrow, he continues "I have reason to believe that you possess another unusual item. Unless I am misinformed, you have about your person a vial containing an elixir said to possess unusual properties. I wonder if you would be willing to exchange it for something in my collection. Feel free to discuss this with your companions while they examine my collection."

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:35 am
by Priest

Smiling her most beautific smile, Elizabeth curtesies, "Why thank you your Grace, amidst such treasures I am humbled that you should desire such a small trinket and will readilly discuss with my companions a trade".

Before turning away she indicates the looking glass, "This mirror, could you explain its purpose for it looks such an ordinary thing?"

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:47 pm
by Rooter

Still feeling dejected following the dismissive reaction to her opinion, realizing that she should have known better than to speak openly of such things since most men--and indeed women--were not as progressive in their outlook as the good Doctor North, Lila distracts herself by examining the various oddities on display. Her curiosity is drawn to the strange book. "Sir, might I inquire as to the provenance of this item?" she asks their host.

To Elizabeth she murmurs, "I should be quite willing to exchange the black rose on your behalf if this vial is of importance to you."

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:32 pm
by Priest

Maintaining her focus on the seemingly inoffensive looking glass, Elizabeth whispers to Lila, "I would not ask that of you. We are sure that the rose presents a puzzle that we are unable to explain as yet, while Mr Harcourt was more than a little dismissive of gypsy potions, claiming them to be in many cases to be innefective or even dangerous to the imbiber. If we are indeed to make a trade for one of these", she indicates the strange items arrayed before them, "Then I would sooner part with the elixir than your rose"

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:06 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
The mirror is a small one, easily held in one hand. It is of Renaissance Venetian manufacture, crafted by a very skilled artisan. The glass and the silvering behind it are without visible flaw, producing an unusually clear reflection. When held at an angle to a clear sky, the glass seems to nearly disappear.

Although it forms a portion of His Grace's collection primarily for its beauty and quality, there is a quaint legend associated with it. The noted -- some might say infamous -- occultist Count Alessandro di Cagliostro (if, indeed, that be his name, little known for certain about that mysterious gentleman) is said to have had it in his possession at one time, and used it for the purpose of detecting and capturing invisible spirits. If there be any truth to the story, breaking the mirror would release these malevolent phantoms; a fate far worse than the traditional seven years of bad luck.

As for the strange book, not much is known. Experts in the art of bookbinding have examined it, and suggested that it was bound four or five centuries ago, possibly in the skin of an auroch, a type of wild cattle no longer known to exist. It appears to be a colorfully illustrated compendium or catalog of natural philosophy, with many detailed drawings of flora and fauna. Besides the text, which is written in letters (if such they be) bearing no resemblance to any known alphabet, the most peculiar thing about it is the fact that the plants and animals portrayed are unknown to science. Whether it be an fantastically elaborate hoax or a mystical treatise remains a matter of speculation.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have two of them as well," whispers Henry to the ladies. "I would part with one if you like, and then you can still keep yours." He examines the objects in the cabinet. "This small meteorite looks interesting. Where was it found? Does it have any magnetic properties?"

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:37 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Meteorite?" says General Rainsford. "A curious word, one I have not heard before. A derivative of 'meteor,' I take it. It seems then, my lord, that you accept the possibility that a stone may fall from the sky? I am sure you are aware that Monsieur Lavoisier, whom I believe you mentioned in your enlightening lecture on the colors produced by flaming substances, is of a contrary opinion. If I am not mistaken, such also is the view taken by Mister Jefferson, a noted scholar --"

"And an infamous rebel," His Grace interjects. "Let us not allow the statements of a Frenchman and a colonial influence us, gentleman. Whatever the origins of this unusual rock may be, let us examine its properties."
Spoiler:
About 86% of meteorites are stony chondrites, 8% stony achondrites, 5% iron, 1% stony-iron.

[dice]0[/dice]
It seems that, among the various objects said to have fallen from the heavens, this is one of the rarest types. It contains iron and nickel alloys as well as silicate minerals. Thus, it does indeed have magnetic properties.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed I do accept the possibility that rocks may fall from the heavens," says Henry. "It is a logical conclusion drawn from Newton's theory of gravitation. The Earth must exert a huge gravitational pull, and thus any passing small rock could be drawn to it. Yes, this particular specimen is most interesting. It does indeed have magnetic properties, as you can see." He dangles his pocketwatch near the tiny stone, and there is a slight tug as it is pulled towards it. "It is a lodestone. There are very few like this, and you are most fortunate to have one in your collection, Your Grace."

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:01 pm
by maelstrom
"A truly fascinating collection your Grace, it must have taken some time to gather "

He peers eagerly at each item in turn. Recognising the rattan resin, he points it out to Henry as something used at home to help close wounds, amongst many other uses for the sticky substance.

Duncan listens as Henry explains about the meteorite and is intrigued by the magnetism that he demonstrates. He looks over the ancient book with interest, in the hope he may be able to understand something in it. The mirror is a thing of beauty and obvious skilled craftsmanship. The tale of its belonging is interesting and sparks his interest.
Spoiler:
Duncan waits until the others are preoccupied with one of the other curios and quietly casts detect magic .

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:47 pm
by Priest

Despite the attraction of the mirror, Elizabeth manages to step aside and whisper to her companions, "Although I must confess a desire for the mirror, that has more to do with its perfection than any tale of supernatural powers attached to it. If any of you, better versed in the strangness of our needs, know of anything that we might find useful amongst these treasures, then I am quite willing to trade this elixir for it"

Then turning to the doctor, she smiles and whispers, "Thank you for your kind offer dear Henry. But I think what you may find from the study of these strange blooms may prove of more value than any worthless love philtre" His earlier words in regards to his late wife has deeply touched her, and makes his offtimes odd behaviour and moods more understandable.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:37 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
maelstrom wrote:
Spoiler:
Duncan waits until the others are preoccupied with one of the other curios and quietly casts detect magic .
Mister Rachman suffers from a slight headache.
Spoiler:
The level one incantation does one point of "non lethal" damage = 1/10 of a hit point lost.

The Detect Magic spell works automatically to reveal that there is something magical in the room. A successful Wisdom check will reveal details.

WIS = 17 + 1 = 18

[dice]0[/dice]
His interest seems particularly drawn to certain items.
Spoiler:
The preserved fetus is that of a low level imp. Certain ceremonies can release it from its inanimate state.

The resin has preternatural healing powers.

The properties of the mirror have been accurately described in its legend.
His Grace has noticed that there has been much discussion about the black roses and the elixir. If the adventurers would care to offer both, he would be willing to exchange a pair of his curiosities for them. Of course, if they possess anything else of interest, that might enter into negotiations as well.

"I wonder if there is any way to test this alleged elixir for efficacy," General Rainsford muses.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Elizabeth," Henry whispers back, basking in her glow. "You have no need of a love elixir anyway. If you wish a man to fall in love with you, all you need do is smile at him." He longs to say more, but this is as close as he dares come to confessing his feelings with others present.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:51 pm
by Rooter

"I believe I should be willing to part with my rose in addition to Miss Carrow's vial," Lila offers, having been unaware that Doctor North also had possession of two of the flowers. "That is, if more than one of these objects are of interest to my companions. Mister Rachman, perhaps you have knowledge of some of these exotic items?" she asks, noting his gaze drawn to certain pieces in the collection.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:20 pm
by maelstrom
Duncan turns to Miss Davenport
"Well Miss Davenport from what little insight I have gleaned. The resin seems to exude an aura of vitality and I can only presume it will bring more benefits than it normally would. Its exact properties would need some further examination. Given our groups proclivity towards attracting.... unrest, it may prove of use to us.

The mirror is an intriguing item and somewhat of a double edged sword. It may well work as his Grace has told and be able to capture a spirit, but it is fragile and if broken could release its prisoners. I cannot tell if it holds anything at the minute, or how many spirits it could contain.

The last is the jar holding that deformed thing. That creature, even though inert, is not truly dead, even now I can sense the malevolence that pervades it. If brought back, it will woo and coax one down dark trails. It is best left where it is or better yet destroyed.

I’m afraid that’s about all I can tell you for now and as soon as I have nothing to offer his Grace in exchange, the choice is down to those that do."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should definitely trade for the resin, then," says Henry. "The mirror may be useful, though also dangerous. The lodestone is of interest as well, though it may only be useful in limited circumstances. However, the items we have to trade are yours, ladies, so the choice is as well."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 am
by Priest

Elizabeth favours Henry with a smile, though disapointment radiates from her eyes, "Alas though I must admit to a desire for the mirror, I concour with Mr Rachman's assessment in that it is a fragile thing and if it does indeed function as his Grace tells, then that fragility may prove a danger. As for the other items I am happy to be guided toward the resin, if it is as Mr Rachman suggests, of possible benefit"

Matching actions to words she replaces the mirror on its cushion, though it will be noted with more care than she had used earlier when picking it up for study. "As for the creature in the jar, I find it a most disturbing thing and I for one would be most happy if I never saw the thing again. So, is it the resin then?"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:08 pm
by Rooter

"I agree, this would seem the most sensible choice," Lila concurs.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:37 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
There is quick agreement from the two gentlemen, and the irregular lump of resin is given into the possession of Mister Rachman, who seems most familiar with it. The vial of the alleged love potion is placed into the cabinet of curiosities, to be examined at a later date. After some negotiation, it is also agreed that one of the black roses is a fair trade for the lodestone alleged to have fallen from the heavens. It is entrusted to Doctor North because of his knowledge of natural philosophy.

"Now," General Rainsford says, "down to the business at hand. I understand that you believe that His Grace and I may be of some use in the case of an unfortunate gentleman who has succumbed to an unusual illness. What more can you tell us?"

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can only describe his symptoms as a form of lycanthropy," says Henry, who wouldn't have believed it himself had he not witnessed it. However, these men are well studied in the occult and may lend it more credibility. "His son placed a Gypsy curse upon him, in revenge for bringing him into the world. Mr. Harcourt underwent a horrific transformation. He became bestial, both in appearance and behaviour. He fled from his home into the wilds, but we managed to track him down and subdue him, though some dogs were lost in the effort. The moon was full at the time, and his condition seems to be tied to the lunar cycle. When the moon waned, he reverted to his normal physical state, but when the moon is full again in about a fortnight, he will suffer the same symptoms again unless we can find a means to cure his aflliction, and I doubt any bonds will hold him then."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:09 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
There is much excited conversation between the two learned gentlemen. Many questions are asked, and detailed information about Mister Harcourt's unfortunate circumstances is elicited.

"The arcane ceremony in which you all participated seems to have been partially successful," His Grace ventures to suggest. "Without it, I believe that there would be no hope for the gentleman short of Providence. As the situation stands, however, I believe that earthly endeavors may be beneficial.

"From an alchemical perspective, Mister Harcourt is currently under the influence of silver and its patron orb, the Moon. You are no doubt aware of the many legends associating reversion to a bestial state with Luna and her symbolic metal. There are two methods which might be undertaken to combat this influence. The victim might be subjected to the influence of a baser metal and the symbols of its patron planet. The disadvantage of this approach is the influence it might have on the personality of the patient. Lead, for example, could easily make a person very saturnine (its patron being Saturn, of course.)"

"Allow me to provide you with a list of the baser metals and their patrons," General Rainsford says. He quickly writes out a list in a soldier's bold and simple handwriting.

COPPER -- VENUS

IRON -- MARS

TIN -- JUPITER

QUICKSILVER -- MERCURY

LEAD -- SATURN

"The lower the metal appears on the list, the stronger an effect it will have on the patient, for good or for ill. In any case, the metal would need to be ingested in considerable amounts."

"The other approach," His Grace continues, "would be to make use of gold and its patron, the Sun, in an attempt to raise the patient to a higher spiritual level. In addition to the great expense of obtaining a suitable amount of the noble metal, the intense power of the solar rays and their material image could have deleterious effects, much as fire may be either a useful servant or a fierce master."

"There is another factor to consider," General Rainsford adds. "One who has been subjected to this unnatural burden is likely to come under the influence of a malevolent entity. I would advise caution and watchfulness."

After more discussion, the adventurers are advised to seek out Mister Witherly. That moody gentleman has the manner of one who has dealt with situations not entirely dissimilar to that of Mister Harcourt.

"Good luck, my friends," His Grace says.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Your Grace," says Henry. "You have been most helpful. We shall seek out Mr. Witherly as you suggested."

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm
by Priest

As they move away from his Grace's presence Elizabeth frowns slightly in deep concentration before, using her fans to sheild her words, whispering to the others, "If, as his Grace has suggested, a malevolent spirit is to be dealt with, mayhap the mirror may have been a worth the risk" Her voice still echoes the remorse she felt at having to forgo the enticing handglass.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:31 pm
by Rooter

"One hopes Mister Whitherly has not already departed with the other guests," Lila says distractedly.

To Elizabeth she replies, "Perhaps you are right. But given the duke's advice perhaps Doctor North may be able to make use of the lodestone's metallic properties." After some consideration she adds, "I have a special rosary which we could try to go back and exchange for the mirror if it may be needed but let us hear what Mister Witherly has to say first."

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
After a bit of searching Mister Witherly is discovered in an isolated part of the estate. He greets the adventurers politely but in a somewhat distracted manner.

"I have been enraptured by this novel," he admits, displaying a copy of Die Leiden des jungen Werthers by Herr Goethe. (Doctor North is able to translate the title as The Sorrows of Young Werther.) The book has caused a sensation on the Continent, even being banned in some places, due to the suicide of its romantic, artistic young hero. It seems that some young men of a particularly sensitive nature have chosen to dress in the manner of the protagonist and, in a few cases, taken their own lives in a frenzy of agitated melancholy.

"To die in order to avoid inflicting suffering on others," Mister Witherly remarks. "Is that not a fine way to end one's existence?"

In order to avoid further discussion of this unpleasant subject, the recent interview with His Grace and the General is related to Mister Witherly.

"Sound advice, if somewhat difficult to follow. The choice of the proper metal, as well as the manner and extent of its use, may require much thought and experimentation. Your quest is a noble one, and I will do all I can to aid you in its success. Would that my own past efforts to correct evils had not been wasted. But I say no more of that. Being free of obligations, I shall accompany you to Mister Harcourt's estate."

(One cannot help but note the fact that Mister Witherly has boldly invited himself along without waiting to be asked.)

While arrangements are being made for transportation and the like, Mister Witherly is able to draw Miss Davenport aside. "I have not often seek a hawk in the company of a dove," he says, somewhat cryptically. "As lovely as the dove and her song may be, I would much prefer to fly with the hawk as she seeks her prey."

After a few moments of silence, the subject of the rosary is brought up. Mister Witherly takes the time to show the object to His Grace, who expresses an interest in it. (General Rainsford dismisses it as "Papish nonsense," but his opinion does not sway His Grace.) He is willing to exchange it for the mirror.

The adventurers are free to make such plans as they please before they return to Harcourt House.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:41 pm
by Rooter

Lila is puzzled as to whether Mister Witherly's cryptic remarks should be taken as a compliment--for a brief moment she is reminded of Antoine Dupray's riddles to Elizabeth, albeit on a somewhat darker scale. Yet she feels her pulse quicken at the brooding intensity of his demeanor.

Having noted Elizabeth's earlier covetous glances at the mirror she offers it to her for safekeeping--such an accessory seems more suited to the fair Miss Carrow in any case--along with an exhortation to be most careful lest it is broken.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"The lodestone would work if we decide to use iron," says Henry, "but I don't know if we want to make Mr. Harcourt martial. It's also rather small, though its magnetic properties may be of some benefit. Before we return to his house, I shall obtain significant quantities of all of the baser metals, as well as gold. I have enough wealth that I can afford it, and the gold will still retain its value if we decide not to use it. We'll have to speak to Mr. Harcourt upon our return, and we can conduct experiments to see how smaller quantities affect him before trying larger ones."

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:40 am
by Priest

Elizabeth accepts the mirror from Lila with many warm thanks, "As you say, I shall take the greatest of care of the handglass to avoid any mishaps. It shall be carefully wrapped in my thickest wollen stockings and kept in the small wooden box in which I keep my most cherished possessions"

For the moment Elizabeth stares into the glass as if searching for some other image than her own reflection.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:29 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Priest wrote:
For the moment Elizabeth stares into the glass as if searching for some other image than her own reflection.
Spoiler:
Wisdom = 8

[dice]0[/dice]
For a moment the surface of the mirror is clouded, and a vision of two young women, their arms held out as if pleading, appears. It soon vanishes.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:18 pm
by Priest

Elizabeth stops suddenly, her attention fixed on the mirror and her brow furrowing in concentration. For no more than a moment she seems as if entranced by the polished glass surface, then shakes her head, "S'funny I could swear I saw something within" She stares deeper but the image is gone the mirror is nothing more than a mirror from which her reflection stares back.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:27 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
The Patient Reader will soon be able to proceed to Chapter the Seventh.