Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Chapter the Sixth: A Peaceful Interlude

Post by Priest »

As they move away from his Grace's presence Elizabeth frowns slightly in deep concentration before, using her fans to sheild her words, whispering to the others, "If, as his Grace has suggested, a malevolent spirit is to be dealt with, mayhap the mirror may have been a worth the risk" Her voice still echoes the remorse she felt at having to forgo the enticing handglass.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"One hopes Mister Whitherly has not already departed with the other guests," Lila says distractedly.

To Elizabeth she replies, "Perhaps you are right. But given the duke's advice perhaps Doctor North may be able to make use of the lodestone's metallic properties." After some consideration she adds, "I have a special rosary which we could try to go back and exchange for the mirror if it may be needed but let us hear what Mister Witherly has to say first."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

After a bit of searching Mister Witherly is discovered in an isolated part of the estate. He greets the adventurers politely but in a somewhat distracted manner.

"I have been enraptured by this novel," he admits, displaying a copy of Die Leiden des jungen Werthers by Herr Goethe. (Doctor North is able to translate the title as The Sorrows of Young Werther.) The book has caused a sensation on the Continent, even being banned in some places, due to the suicide of its romantic, artistic young hero. It seems that some young men of a particularly sensitive nature have chosen to dress in the manner of the protagonist and, in a few cases, taken their own lives in a frenzy of agitated melancholy.

"To die in order to avoid inflicting suffering on others," Mister Witherly remarks. "Is that not a fine way to end one's existence?"

In order to avoid further discussion of this unpleasant subject, the recent interview with His Grace and the General is related to Mister Witherly.

"Sound advice, if somewhat difficult to follow. The choice of the proper metal, as well as the manner and extent of its use, may require much thought and experimentation. Your quest is a noble one, and I will do all I can to aid you in its success. Would that my own past efforts to correct evils had not been wasted. But I say no more of that. Being free of obligations, I shall accompany you to Mister Harcourt's estate."

(One cannot help but note the fact that Mister Witherly has boldly invited himself along without waiting to be asked.)

While arrangements are being made for transportation and the like, Mister Witherly is able to draw Miss Davenport aside. "I have not often seek a hawk in the company of a dove," he says, somewhat cryptically. "As lovely as the dove and her song may be, I would much prefer to fly with the hawk as she seeks her prey."

After a few moments of silence, the subject of the rosary is brought up. Mister Witherly takes the time to show the object to His Grace, who expresses an interest in it. (General Rainsford dismisses it as "Papish nonsense," but his opinion does not sway His Grace.) He is willing to exchange it for the mirror.

The adventurers are free to make such plans as they please before they return to Harcourt House.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila is puzzled as to whether Mister Witherly's cryptic remarks should be taken as a compliment--for a brief moment she is reminded of Antoine Dupray's riddles to Elizabeth, albeit on a somewhat darker scale. Yet she feels her pulse quicken at the brooding intensity of his demeanor.

Having noted Elizabeth's earlier covetous glances at the mirror she offers it to her for safekeeping--such an accessory seems more suited to the fair Miss Carrow in any case--along with an exhortation to be most careful lest it is broken.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The lodestone would work if we decide to use iron," says Henry, "but I don't know if we want to make Mr. Harcourt martial. It's also rather small, though its magnetic properties may be of some benefit. Before we return to his house, I shall obtain significant quantities of all of the baser metals, as well as gold. I have enough wealth that I can afford it, and the gold will still retain its value if we decide not to use it. We'll have to speak to Mr. Harcourt upon our return, and we can conduct experiments to see how smaller quantities affect him before trying larger ones."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth accepts the mirror from Lila with many warm thanks, "As you say, I shall take the greatest of care of the handglass to avoid any mishaps. It shall be carefully wrapped in my thickest wollen stockings and kept in the small wooden box in which I keep my most cherished possessions"

For the moment Elizabeth stares into the glass as if searching for some other image than her own reflection.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Priest wrote:
For the moment Elizabeth stares into the glass as if searching for some other image than her own reflection.
Spoiler:
Wisdom = 8

[dice]0[/dice]
For a moment the surface of the mirror is clouded, and a vision of two young women, their arms held out as if pleading, appears. It soon vanishes.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth stops suddenly, her attention fixed on the mirror and her brow furrowing in concentration. For no more than a moment she seems as if entranced by the polished glass surface, then shakes her head, "S'funny I could swear I saw something within" She stares deeper but the image is gone the mirror is nothing more than a mirror from which her reflection stares back.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Patient Reader will soon be able to proceed to Chapter the Seventh.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”