Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Chapter the Sixth: A Peaceful Interlude

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth, at first startled by the appearance of the creature, finds herself increasingly amused by the effect the rushing animal is having on the 'ladies' of the party. She is however tasteful enough to hide that amusement behind a concealing fan, which she flutters in a most animated and ladylike manner. She feels for the obvious alarm that the fox is consumed by and moves towards it in the hope she may, in some way, be able to protect it from the more bloodthirsty of the gathering. It is after all nothing more than a fearfilled animal and she has encountered far scarier things of late.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ivan is accustomed to obedience. When one of his master's friends tells him to do something, he does it without hesitating or even thinking about it. The sight of the lovely Elizabeth standing nearby inspires him, and he manages to get hold of the little creature. The fox nips him when he seizes it, but Ivan is good at enduring pain and maintains his hold on it.
OOC,[b]Ivan[/b]'s Dexerity roll (9 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 10) trying to catch the fox: [dice]0[/dice] Dexterity roll (9 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 10) to avoid being bitten: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The bite of the fox does not usually cause very severe injury. In this case, however, the loyal and brave Ivan has suffered a moderate wound.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
It occurs to Doctor North that there is some chance that the animal is a carrier of hydrophobia, a most dread disease.
Spoiler:
Only if I roll a twenty. [dice]0[/dice]
Fortunately, close inspection reveals that the fox appears quite healthy. Held firmly in the strong hands of the Russian valet, it seems to direct its attention to Miss Carrow.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against Charisma to determine if the fox can be tamed.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan dressed in his finest attire, and feeling more that a little uncomfortable amidst the social grandeur. Turns and smiles at miss Carrow.
"Work your charms well, miss Carrow. Who knows who's eyes are upon you now, nor what interest may be stirred"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth watches the large manservant, Ivan, struggling to hold the small furry animal despite its furious attempts to bite him. She moves to his side and makes a small clucking sound, much as one might to a small child, however it seems to have little effect as the fox continues its attempts at escape. Yet she perseveres and a calm seems gradualy to encompass the fox, and with a slow gentle movement she extends her hand towards the now unstruggling, yet panting, creature.
"There, there little friend where did you come from?" she coos.
Charisma,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/446538]Charisma roll - Fox Taming 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]16[/b] Alas!! However, I may risk one of my Grace Points and reroll as this may be an important moment. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/446542]Charima reroll; 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]7[/b] Hurrah for a second attempt!
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It would seem to be a reasonable hypothesis that the fox was once a lady's pet, now strayed from its mistress. How else to explain that it now behaves in the manner of a lap dog? It will lie quietly in the arms of Miss Carrow, or follow at her feet, or, when necessary, allowed itself to be tied up in a secure place and await her return.
Spoiler:
Which reminds me -- Mister Rachman should indicate the current location of his familiar. If it remains with him, it is sure to draw attention.
If Miss Carrow wishes to give it a name, it may be relevant to note that it is a vixen. It is rather small for a member of its kind, and quite lovely, with soft, rich fur, deep red above and pure white below. (An indication that it has been groomed by its mistress.) It will attempt to nip at anyone who tries to harm its mistress.
Spoiler:
The characteristics of a fox:

Perversity: 9
Disposition: Cautious
Charisma: 8 Intelligence: 4 Wisdom: 18
Strength: 3 Dexterity: 16 Constitution: 9
Speed: 11 walking, 3 burrowing
Armor Class: None
Hit Dice: 0 (1-3 hp)
Attacks: 1 (1-2 points from bite)
Special Abilities: Nightvision, Superior Hearing, Superior Sense of Smell
Weaknesses: Afraid of Fire, Fascinated By Light
Assets: Leaping, Swimming
Afflictions: None
Preternatural Powers: None
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done, Elizabeth," says Henry. "Good job, Ivan. Give Elizabeth the fox, and then I'll see to your wound." Ivan hands the fox over to her, and Henry examines his bite.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"My thanks sir", says Elizabeth smiling at the large servant as he passes her the small furry bundle. For a moment or two she eyes the small creature noting that it seems quite content to nestle in her arms, "Hmm, I think I shall call you 'lucky' as there can be no little doubt that you have been indeed most lucky this night". With a small musical laugh she tickles the head of the now at peace fox.

"Dear Henry, may I prevail upon you to have your fine man, Ivan, take care of Lucky for the rest of this evening? For I fear for such a small harmless creature in the precense of these fine, upstanding gentlemen of the hunt"
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Adequate arrangements have been made for the accommodation of the servants of His Grace's guests. It would seem prudent to allow Ivan to rest and allow his injury to heal, while enjoying the company of members of his own class as well as nutritious, if not elegant, provisions. Lucky is content with table scraps and the amused attention of the other servants.

At about noon the guests make their way into the dining halls for the first course of the day. It consists of a wide variety of soups, both clear and cream-based, as well as fish and small game birds prepared in numerous ways. The guests select which dishes they wish, keeping in mind the fact that this is only a small portion of the victuals which will be presented throughout the day and evening. White wine is served, and toasts are made to all present, requiring an amount of time far greater than the simple act of eating.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Even during the daytime, each table is brightly lit with numerous candles. These are, of course, not entirely without hazard.

During a particularly long and dreary toast, presented by a gentleman whose wit is not as acute as he seems to think it, the attention of a lady near the adventurers, who is wearing a particularly elaborate hairstyle, wanders. Carelessly, she leans toward her nearest companion in such a way that her coiffure touches a candle. Suddenly her hair is aflame!

How will you react?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While the obvious instinctual thing to do would be to pour water on her head, Henry knows that would be disgraceful - and also completely unnecessary. As a scientist, he knows that fire needs oxygen from the air in order to burn. Deprive a fire of oxygen, and it will quickly be extinguished. Lavoisier is a genius, he thinks as he looks around for a bowl of the appropriate size, preferably an empty one. If he can't find an empty bowl of the right size, he'll simply take such a bowl that isn't empty and pour its contents out into another container. Then he intends to upend the empty bowl and places it over the woman's head to smother the flames.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Thanks to Doctor North's quick thinking, and the fortunate happenstance that a bowl formerly containing terrapin soup (the popularity of which has led to the fact that its tureen is very nearly empty) is at hand, tragedy is averted. The lady's coiffure, its lavender color betraying the fact that it is a wig, is damaged, but no harm has come to its wearer. The lady in question, a matron of middle years, sputters a few unintelligible sounds, then runs off, no doubt to adjust her appearance. The gentleman seated next to her, a portly fellow with thin gray hair and spectacles, rises with a wide smile.

"Handsomely done, sir! I told Polly that the grotesquely elaborate hair styles currently in vogue are not only unseemly in their preening vanity, but impractical as well. But what is the word of a husband compared to the tyranny of that whimsical monarch Fashion? Much gratitude, sir, for more amusement than I have been afforded in a very long time."

Introductions are made. The gentleman, one Samuel Perkins, Esquire, a surveyor and draughtsman in service to many aristocrats, is interested in the adventurers' situation.

"I suspect that General Rainsford and His Grace may be found in one of the game rooms between courses, at play at billiards. Good luck in your quest."

This proves to be sound advice. Amongst other ladies and gentlemen amusing themselves at backgammon, piquet, and other innocent pastimes, may be found the General and the Duke concentrating with great fervor over their game. Engaged also at billiards are a few other persons of both sexes. An appreciable sum of money passes hands frequently, as wagers are made, often over a single play. At length one of the players withdraws, opening a space at the table.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Which of us shall play?" Henry asks his friends. "The game of billiards is simple physics, of which I have knowledge. The angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Of course, there's still the matter of being nimble enough to get the balls to go where one intends. I'm not bad at that, though I suspect Miss Davenport would be for more accurate than I. Perhaps if she plays, I could use a system to signal her as to which ball she should try to knock into which hole. Hmm...there are fifteen balls...yes, I can uniquely identify a ball by number with four fingers. I could extend the fingers of my left hand to indicate the number of the ball. My pinky will count for one, my ring finger for two, my middle finger for four, and my index finger for eight. Just add up the numbers of the fingers you see, and you'll know which ball I indicate. I can do something similar with three fingers of my right hand to specify the pocket, as there are six of those. We can just number them arbitrarily, with the far right pocket being number one and proceeding clockwise. Of course, that doesn't tell you which edges to bounce it off. Perhaps I should just play."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"As you wish, doctor," Lila concurs, not quite managing to follow the thread of his explanation. "You may be afforded the opportunity to introduce us to our hosts. Of course, Mister Rachman has proven himself to be good at games and I'm sure will make an able deputy. Elizabeth and I shall be on hand to offer our support."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Lila's words Elizabeth nods an agreement, "Please carry on dear Henry, as Miss Davenport says I shall do my best to be of support in this endevour"
- Anais Nin
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

" As miss Davenport, mentioned, I do seemed to aquired some luck at games. But again, as with the wist, billiards is something I have nothing more than a passing aquaintence with. With some intruction, I would be more than willing to try my luck" Duncan smiles and gives a small bow towards Henry.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Quick introductions are made. Although the two distinguished gentlemen are well aware of their visitors' intention to discuss Mister Harcourt's condition, it is evident that they would prefer to delay such matters until the end of the evening. For the moment the game is of far more importance.

After some discussion it is agreed that General Rainsford and the Duke of Northumberland shall play as a team against Miss Davenport and Mister Rachman. Doctor North will be allowed to dispense advice as to the best shots to be made, and Miss Carrow is welcome to provide inspiration for her comrades. A quick explanation of the game is offered to Mister Rachman.

Balls carved from ivory cover the wool covering of the wooden table. Each player is issued a stick known as a mace. The end of the mace is thick and blunt, and is used to push the balls. The other end, known as the queue, is thin and pointed, and may be used to strike the balls for certain difficult shots. A hoop and an upright stick serve as targets, as well as shallow pockets in the corners of the table.

The talented Mister Perkins is at hand to provide a sketch of the game.

"A small wager always adds interest to any test of skill," His Grace announces. General Rainsford nods in agreement. "My friend and I would be willing to hazard a gold guinea each upon the outcome. Perhaps one among you has some item of value which you would be willing to risk?"

This requires some thought. It seems unlikely that Doctor North would place the Cauterizer at risk, nor Mister Rachman his kris. Miss Davenport has more than one weapon on her person, as well as the blessed rosary, and Miss Carrow still carries the vial containing the alleged love potion. Perhaps one of the four adventurers has some other item on hand. Will one of them volunteer to meet His Grace's wager?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

After a moment's consideration, Lila recalls one unusual item still in her possession: the mysterious black rose she was gifted on that fateful night of their first encounter with the masked highwayman. Knowing of the two gentlemen's interest in the occult, she retrieves the unnatural bloom and proffers it for inspection. "What of this, sirs?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

His Grace examines the flower closely. "Strange; most strange. It would make an enviable addition to my cabinet of curiosities, would it not, Charles?"

"Indeed. I venture to say that there is not another like it in the whole of England."

This statement by General Rainsford may cause the adventurers to exchange knowing looks.

"Very well," His Grace continues. "I accept your terms. Let us see who shall emerge the victor."
Spoiler:
In order to keep events moving, I shall make several die rolls on behalf of those engaged in the game.

The Dexterity of the General and of the Duke will be 9, with no modifications.

[dice]185879:0[/dice]
The General begins with an excellent shot, scoring both on the hoop and a pocket.
Spoiler:
[dice]185879:1[/dice]
The Duke does not aim so well, and scores no points.
Spoiler:
One roll to see if Doctor North's mathematical calculations are of benefit.

INT = 12 + 1 for Scientific Knowledge + 1 for the True Innocent = 14

[dice]185879:2[/dice]
Doctor North is able to plan an effective strategy for his comrades.
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman's Dexterity is 13 + 3 for Good at Games + 1 for the True Innocent + 1 for Doctor North's strategy = 18

[dice]185879:3[/dice]

Miss Davenport's Dexterity is 18 + 1 for the True Innocent + 1 for Doctor North's strategy = 20

[dice]185879:4[/dice]
Surprisingly, given the extraordinary skill of her fingers, Miss Davenport does not play quite as well as expected. Mister Rachman, with his enviable luck, ties with the General. The wager is not yet settled. The game continues between the two remaining participants.
Spoiler:
[dice]185879:5[/dice]

[dice]185879:6[/dice]
Mister Rachman wins a gold sovereign from each of the hosts.

After this enjoyable diversion, the guests have sufficiently digested the light first course (and discreetly made any visits to conveniences as may be required) to allow for dancing to take place prior to the heavier second course. All proceed to the large ballroom, where a number of musicians are tuning their instruments. The players may make any preparations they see fit.
Spoiler:
In editing this posting I have somehow messed up my dice codes, so you'll have to take my word for it. It worked out OK for you, in any case.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry turns to Elizabeth, a smile on his face. "Elizabeth, would you please do me the honour of giving me the first dance?" he asks, hope in his voice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth unable to unravel the intricacies of this game, yet aware of the passion of competition it has aroused, is glad of the chance to move away from the table. She smiles her most beautific smile making sure to include all within range, and courtesies to the doctor, "I should be pleased to accept though I confess little aptitude for dancing, having been accused by my tutor as possessing two left feet". Again that laugh, at once so virtuous yet with a mixture of carefree abandon with a hint of childish delight that makes it so appealing, then with a swirl of emerald green silk she moves towards the dance floor in readiness for the next dance.
- Anais Nin

Return to “Ghastly Affair”