Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What stratagem did you use to force the stranger into a draw?" asks Henry. "The same trick might not work twice, of course, but then again it might."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:
"What stratagem did you use to force the stranger into a draw?" asks Henry. "The same trick might not work twice, of course, but then again it might."
The highwayman finds this amusing. "You are no player at chess, it seems! There are more possible variations of that game during even a small handful of moves than stars in the heavens! To force a stalemate against such a player, you must be ready to consider every possible move in every possible situation. I can advise you no further, as we have not eternity to discuss the countless ways in which to lose.

"One thing more. The One you seek to best is honor-bound to accept all challenges of luck or skill. Those who lose, lose all. Those who triumph, triumph only for a while. Think upon that before you call Him."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have no intention of calling upon him any time soon," says Henry with a wry smile. "I'm sure he will call upon me in due time, and I will need as long as I can get to prepare."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Outside, Lila realizes that, right or wrong, a quick decision is called for while the creature's trail is still fresh. "Given our host's evident acquaintance with the Gypsy leader Magda, and that those folk are known to have a troubled relationship with abominations of the night, we might try our luck by heading in the direction their caravan took," she suggests.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

" My very thoughts, Miss Davenport. Maybe he hopes Magna can aid him. No time to be wasted though, for I am sure the beast will be fleet of foot."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Davenport and Mister Rachman are quickly supplied with horses. Davros and Herr Hoffer insist on coming along as well.

It is a simple task to follow the ruts left by the wheels of the Gypsy wagons. They have reached open country, and are in the process of making their camp. A small fire illuminates the brightly painted wagons. Beyond the reach of its welcoming light, the full Moon paints the fields and woods with silver.

Davros dismounts and engages a few of the Gypsies in their own language. He nods at what he hears, and heads off into the surrounding forest without another word.
Spoiler:
The adventurers may make an Ability Check against their Intelligence, with the 3 point bonus for Gift for Languages, to determine if either or both are familiar with the Romany tongue.
Herr Hoffer examines the wagons. "Silver crosses, strands of garlic, wolf's bane. The traditional protections against evil. These people are obviously not unacquainted with unnatural beings."

The camp seems to be quiet. The inhabitants are wary, but not unwelcoming.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed, Herr Hoffer," Lila murmurs, recalling her and the other three guests' previous meeting with the formidable Magda. She glances around the firelit camp, wondering where the Gypsy queen might be. Lila has picked up enough words of the Romany language over the years to at least follow the gist of the traveling folks' speech.
Spoiler:
Intelligence check re language: 11+3[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Rooter on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
Spoiler:
Intelligence check re language: 11+3[dice]185127:0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport is able to understand that Davros asked where his mother had gone, not seeing her about the camp. The other Gypsies responded by telling him that she had gone into the forest to gather herbs.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila quietly relays to her two companions that she has overheard of Magda going into the forest to gather herbs. Uneasy, she peers off at the dark trees. "She has left the protection of the wagons, and with a creature whose nature we are unaware of on the loose. Perhaps we should go after Davros to ensure that he and his mother return safely."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
Lila quietly relays to her two companions that she has overheard of Magda going into the forest to gather herbs. Uneasy, she peers off at the dark trees. "She has left the protection of the wagons, and with a creature whose nature we are unaware of on the loose. Perhaps we should go after Davros to ensure that he and his mother return safely."
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport may attempt to track Davros, but will NOT receive the plus one bonus to her Wisdom, as she is not attempting to track a preternatural being. However, she may take a bonus of two for tracking through an infrequently traveled area. If Mister Rachman attempts the same thing, he may take a bonus of two points for the same reason, but will have to subtract ten (net loss of eight points) for lack of tracking experience.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

" I think that would be prudent Miss Davenport, Magda my well hold some answers towards curing the curse and we have no idea how much control, if any, Mr Harcourt has over the beast."
Heading towards the tree line, Duncan starts scanning the ground looking for signs of recent passage.
Spoiler:
wisdom 17 - 8 [dice]0[/dice]
Spotting signs Duncan calls out " Miss Davenport, this way I believe" and heads off into the woods following the trail.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Not far into the woods Magda and Davros are found engaged in earnest conversation. It is evident that the young man is concerned for her safety. As the two adventurers arrive and relate the extraordinary transformation they have witnessed, the Gypsy woman shows signs of distress.

"Poor William! The beast-man can only be created by Gypsy curse. Who has done this thing?"

"I not know," Davros says. He turns to the other two with a questioning look.

In the distance, the howl of a wild animal fills the night.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"It was a disfigured highwayman who claims to be your son and Davros' brother," Lila replies. She is about to continue when the sound of the howl freezes the words in her throat. Perhaps it is regular wolves but perhaps not. "Come, madam," she says urgently to Magda. "You should return to the safety of the camp at once while we attempt to subdue the beast." A sudden thought strikes her. "Unless you know of a way to lift the curse?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Both Magda and Davros are struck with shock to learn the source of the curse is of their own blood. From their excited comments, in a broken mixture of both English and Romany, it is evident that neither expected to hear from their lost relative again.

"I kill him," Davros swears.

"No!" Magda pleads with her son, but to no avail. Davros rides back to Harcourt House in a fury.

When the Gypsy woman has been restored to a relative state of calm, she denies knowing any way to lift the curse, short of death or divine intervention.

Herr Hoffer takes the two adventurers aside. "I am not a great scholar of atavistic metamorphoses," he says, "but I believe that certain obscure methods have been suggested to reverse their effects, known to but a few. Discovering them would take a great deal of time devoted to research, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, Mister Harcort -- or, rather, the thing that once was Mister Harcourt -- must be captured and controlled, or destroyed."

Another bestial cry fills the air.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Herr Hoffer is correct," Lila says. She looks over at the Gypsy woman. "Since the beast may be seeking Magda perhaps it would be best if we stayed with her. She may lead the beast to us and could also be of help in controlling it. We must be prepared to destroy it if necessary but let us not tell Magda of our intentions since I fear she would not react in a happy manner."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Loud barking interrupts the conversation. The sound seems to be that of a pack of dogs confronting their prey. A few times a sharp yip is suddenly cut off, as if one of the curs has been slain.

Upon investigation, it can be seen that, not far away, the Gypsy dogs are engaged in battle with what at first seems to be a human figure. When the adventurers move closer, it can be seen that it is dressed in Mister Harcourt's torn clothing. Its eyes glow like fire. Its arms -- or perhaps one should say forelegs -- are longer than those of a normal human being, and end in hairy paws with sharp claws. Its face, as well as all areas revealed through the ripped clothing, are covered in fur.

When it catches a glimpse of Magda, it attempts to speak, but the fact that its mouth is full of large fangs renders its speech unintelligible. The dogs snap at it furiously, as if they are enraged, but appear to do little damage. When it is able to strike at one of them with its claws, the animal is nearly torn in two, its body thrown a large distance away, revealing enormous strength.

Magda rushes to it. As if it is unable to control its savage urges, it strikes at her with the back of a paw, avoiding the use of its claws. The Gypsy woman is tossed on the ground as if she were no more than a child's doll and is rendered insensate. It turns it attentions to the others.

Meanwhile . . .

Davros arrives back at Harcourt House. He rushes into Mister Harcourt's room, where he finds the two guests and his brother. He aims his musket at his brother. Trembling, he seems unable to decide whether to fire the weapon or not.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry extends his hands slowly in a calming gesture. "Davros, do not do this,' he says. "What your brother has done is terrible, but shooting him would be terrible as well, and it will not make things better. Believe me, you do not want to take a human life, especially not your own brother's. I've only taken a human life once, and I have no intention of doing so again. That was self-defense, and I feel awful enough about it, but this would be cold-blooded murder. You are not a murderer, Davros. Do not become one now. If that is not enough to persuade you, I must remind you that you owe me a debt. I saved your life after your brother's band held up your coach. In return for giving you your life, I ask only that you spare your brother's. A life for a life, and your debt shall be paid in full."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Doctor North:
Spoiler:
Because you are using Reason in an attempt to persuade the highly conflicted Davros, please make an Ability Check against your Intelligence to see how convincing your arguments are.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry can see that his words have had the desired effect.
OOC,Intelligence roll (12 stat +1[True Innocent] = 13) to convince [b]Davros[/b] to spare his brother: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Davros lowers his weapon, unable to deny the wisdom of Doctor North's words.

"My dear brother has not the heart to play Cain," the highwayman says. He rises to his feet. "If you will excuse me, I have other business to which I must attend." He walks slowly, almost languidly, as if merely out for a stroll.

Davros spits out a few words in Romany.

"Ah! My goodhearted sibling wishes me to Perdition. No doubt his request will be granted soon enough.

"I have accomplished my purpose here. If we ever meet again, it will be merely a matter of economics."

With that he exits the room.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”