Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by maelstrom »

Turning to Miss Carrow and Herr Hoffer,
“ My Grandfather used to tell tales of the Anjing ajak, the wolf man. But I always believed they were tales, now I know he was teaching me as always. But I only remember them as tales of black magic and death. I hope that one of you has knowledge of how to contain this beast, for it would lay heavy on my soul if there is no redemption for Mr Harcourt.”

Duncan lowers into a low crouch, his dagger raised at arms length, in preparation of beasts onslaught. The beginnings of an incantation murmur in the back of his throat.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila tenses as the man-beast turns toward them. She has her dagger quickly drawn but, having witnessed their quarry's inhuman strength against the dogs, realizes any direct physical attack may be foolhardy, especially in her already-injured condition. She edges toward the unconscious Magda. Perhaps, since the man-beast has retained enough humanity to seek out his Gypsy lover, she can appeal to that vestige of conscience? "Mister Harcourt!" she shouts. "William!"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Duncan lowers into a low crouch, his dagger raised at arms length, in preparation of beasts onslaught. The beginnings of an incantation murmur in the back of his throat.
Spoiler:
Is there a particular spell you wish to cast?
"Mister Harcourt!" she shouts. "William!"
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Wisdom to see if your appeal is able to pierce the curse's effect on his mental faculties.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I did not give you leave to depart," says Henry, hurrying after the highwayman. "What exactly is this other business of yours?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The highwayman pushes Doctor North back roughly. "That is none of your concern. Now, shall we break company amiably, or must I resort to force?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry backs off, not desiring to shoot him, especially not after having just kept Davros from doing so. He has his doubts about how effective it would have been, anyway. We should have bound him when we had the chance, he thinks. "No force is necessary," he says. "You know I wish you no harm. I ask only that you reconsider what you have done to your father. Vengeance is not worth the cost."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila can see that her entreaty has had no effect on the man-beast and she braces herself for an attack.
Spoiler:
Wisdom check re curse: 12+1 danger bonus[dice]0[/dice]
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Spoiler:
Duncan will prepare daze, but will only cast if the beast moves to attack any member of the group. Hoping it will daze the beastial side and allow Mr Harcourt a measure of control
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Despite her obvious confusion at the turn of events, Elizabeth watches as the tall scarred highwayman departs the room swiftly pursued by Henry. Alone other than the brooding Davros she looks to where the window looked out into the night. "So sir, is there news of your father's location, and his state of being?"

In the other room she can hear the subdued tones of Henry in conversation with another, and realising who this other is feels she must attempt to prevent Davros from pursuing and acting out of hatred...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In response to Miss Carrow's inquiries, Davros at first only shakes his head, apparently too distraught to answer. He makes no attempt to pursue the highwayman further. A moment later he says "I go to him. Follow if you are brave." He returns to his horse, waiting only a moment to see if the other will accompany him.

The highwayman lifts his hat and bows low to Doctor North. "I take my leave. We shall see how true a prophet you may prove." He pauses to look at Miss Carrow, and seems to lose some of the arrogance in his manner. "Think of me what you will, but remember this: I have never harmed a woman." With that he disappears into the night, no doubt to a place where his own steed is hidden.

Meanwhile . . .

It is apparent that whatever part of Mister Harcourt remains rational is beyond the ability of Miss Davenport to reach. He snarls savagely at the dogs and humans. It would appear that there is no way to predict what his next action will be.
Spoiler:
1 = the dogs
2 = Magda
3 = Herr Hoffer
4 = Mister Rachman
5 = Miss Davenport
6 = runs away
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
With a sudden burst of rage the beast-man moves to attack Herr Hoffer. Mister Rachman gestures at the creature as it launches itself at the man.
Spoiler:
A saving thrown against the target's wisdom negates the effect of daze. In his current form, Mister Harcourt has a wisdom of 9.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Before it can make its intended attack against the German visitor, the creature is brought to a halt by the effect of Mister Rachman's actions. It seems confused and stands still, as if mesmerized.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Elizabeth, if you wish to accompany him, I shall go with you," says Henry. "If you would rather not, then I shall remain with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan sees the wolfman pause,
"HARCOURT " he yells, " Remember yourself, this is not who you are, Remember!"
Spoiler:
If possible Duncan will try to use sanctuary on Mr Harcourt's presence, to seperate him from the attack of the beast within.
With all the mental strength he can muster Duncan pictures himself grabbing the snarling maw of the wolf, burring his fingets into the fetid fur and tearing it away, as if a mask, to reveal the face of Mr Harcourt.He calls something in a foreign tounge.
Spoiler:
"Lord Barong, show him your light!".
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Congratulations on coming up with a very imaginative way to use the Sanctuary spell. The beast-half may still be able to negate it with a successful ability check against wisdom.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The attempt to restore Mister Harcourt to full rationality has failed. The stubborn beast-soul is too powerful, it seems.

However, the effect is enough to render the creature stunned for a moment. The adventurers will have time to perform further actions before it does anything else.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"As you wish sir" calls Elizabeth after the departing Davros, "But pray give me a moment to fetch a coat"

As she pulls the heavy woolen riding coat on she glances over at Henry, "Please do dear Henry, for we may have need of your pistols I fear"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then let us be off, Elizabeth," says Henry, helping her on with her coat. He offers her the pistol that the highwayman had dropped. "You are welcome to this one, if you like. It is generally a good idea to use both hands when firing it, or one is likely to break one's wrist."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth takes the large horse pistol pistol with as much delicacy as she can, making certain to avoid the trigger. Both length and weight make it look ridiculous in her small hand, and she eyes the thing nervously. "Thank you, but I decline for I am afraid that I would prove as dangerous to my friends as I would to some enemy. Perhaps it is best kept by yourself or handed to Davros, though I think he would be loathe to fire upon his father whatever the reason"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're quite welcome," says Henry, taking the pistol back as he heads out after Davros with Elizabeth. "In that case, I shall hold onto it for now. Perhaps Miss Davenport can make use of it when we catch up to her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When Miss Carrow and Doctor North arrive, they find a troubling scene. Their fellow adventurers quickly narrate the night's extraordinary events. Miss Davenport will gladly accept the pistol. For a moment events seem at an impasse. Then the man-beast emerges from from his confusion and takes action.
Spoiler:
1 = dogs
2 = Magda
3 = Herr Hoffer
4 = Mister Rachman
5 = Miss Davenport
6 = Miss Carrow
7 = Doctor North
8 = runs away
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
As if he bears some strange hatred for the German visitor, once again the creature strikes out at him.
Spoiler:
The creature has a dexterity of 15 in this form.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Fortunately for Herr Hoffer, its sharp claws barely miss his flesh, tearing only his coat instead. The creature halts its attack for a time to howl at the moon.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

The beast is winning
Duncan thought with a sinking heart.
The Soul of the land was First Born, then, that of the Animal and finally there came the lives of Men. The Land is the Eldest, Duncan, Never forget that. The Mountains, the Earth and the Sky. They hold the privilege, of an ear to the God. Behold to your Elders in all things, and in all things you will better.
He herd the resonant voice of his Grandfather Prounounce.
"HENRY, for her souls sake, get Elizabeth out of here"
“Lila, look to Hoffer, I will take care of Magna. Nobody shoot unless he attacks” He cries.
Duncan moves over towards Magda’s inerert body. Shielding Her body with his, he removes his jacket and carelessly, tosses it aside. Reaching up he grabs the collar of his shirt and rips it down, buttons shedding like chaff in the wind. His Shirt cast aside, he seeks, and grabs hold of one of the gypsy’s dogs collars and draws it to him.

Duncan’s eyes meet with that of the Wolf.

It Lifts it head and howls at the Moon. Despair, rich in It’s voice, Hunger it’s master.

Slowly Duncan draws the sacred blade across his bare chest. The Tattoo’s on his back, thirsting for his Sacrifice, to the Spiritual force of Java. Fresh Blood spills forth and Duncan smears it across the head of the dog.
He throws His knife down and takes hold of the dogs collar and flings it towards the Wolf.
“ Feed if you must, WOLF. But Remember you are a MAN. We Stand here, Guardian’s of your fragile soul. Be the Land, be the Sky, BE THE SOUL OF MEN AND STAND WITH US ”
Last edited by maelstrom on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry positions himself between Elizabeth and the beast that was Mr. Harcourt to shield her. He holds his pistol ready, but he holds his fire until and unless the creature tries to attack.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”