Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

It would seem that the combination of human blood, whose scent is no doubt irresistible to the creature, and an easy victim in the form of the Gypsy cur make the beast-man forget all else. With remarkable speed it seizes the animal in its forelimbs and devours it in a matter of seconds. When this gory task is completed it collapses to the ground. Like fog melting in sunlight, the creature's fur, claws, and fangs vanish. Limbs reshape themselves into human form. Mister Harcourt, his clothing torn, filthy, and bloody, lies before them, completely insensate.
Spoiler:
Given this astonishing and horrifying sight, Miss Carrow should make an Ability Check against Charisma to avoid fainting. The adventurers will have either two or three insensate persons to deal with.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Though somewhat taken aback by Rachman's strange ritualistic actions, upon seeing the beast vanquished Lila sheathes the pistol Doctor North had provided and, after ensuring that Herr Hoffer is unharmed, considers the prone form of Mister Harcourt. "We should restrain him until he comes round, for his own safety as well as ours. I will ask the Gypsies for assistance." She hurries back toward the nearby camp, trusting that Davros and Hoffer will stand guard while the doctor looks after Elizabeth and Magda.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Henry. After making sure Elizabeth is all right, catching her again if she swoons, he goes to look after Magda.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth struggles to take in the blur of events. So much blood and horror.
Charisma,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/441724]Charisma roll to avoid fainting: 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]10[/b]
For a moment all seems to swim and begin to grow black, yet Elizabeth steels her nerve, takes several deep breaths and holding tight to Henry's sheilding arm keeps her feet.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Gypsies seem reluctant to have anything to do with the unfortunate Mister Harcourt.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport may make an Ability Check against Charisma, adding the one point for the presence of Miss Carrow, to see if she can persuade the Gypsies to assist her.
Doctor North is able to determine that Mister Harcourt has suffered no physical harm other than his disheveled state. Medical aid does not seem called for, and all efforts to bring him back to consciousness are without result.

Magda, on the other hand, has clearly suffered a severe blow to the head, although there is no external bleeding. It would seem likely that her condition is the result of excessive blood in the brain.
Spoiler:
Doctor North may attempt to bleed the patient to restore her to consciousness. This would require an Ability Check against Dexterity, with the addition of three points for the profession of medicine and one point for the presence of Miss Carrow. Success will bring Magda to her senses. Failure, however, will inflict 1d6 of damage.
Herr Hoffer offers an observation. "It cannot be mere coincidence that I was twice the target of the creature's attack. It seems possible that there is some connexion between the curse borne by this unfortunate personage and the enemy whom I have sought across the continent and onto this isle. It would be a long and difficult task to find a cure for this unnatural affliction, but the effort may enable me to track down the mutual enemy of Miss Davenport and I."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She is suffering from blood on the brain," says Henry after examining Magda. "I'm going to have to bleed her. It's not without risk, but I believe I can revive her." He knows that he still has the Cauteriser to stop the bleeding if anything goes wrong, so he feels confident about this - and wrongly so.
OOC,Dexterity roll (10 stat + 3[Profession(Doctor)] + 1[True Innocent] = 14) to revive [b]Magda[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Although bleeding is the standard procedure for many different ailments, it cannot be denied that it is a risky procedure at best. In this particular case, it seems to have done more harm than good.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Magda has six hit points, now reduced to four.
The loss of blood renders the Gypsy woman's dark skin a paler shade. It is evident that she will require a great deal of time to recover her senses. The injury caused by bleeding is not severe enough to require the use of the Cauterizer, but it may be possible to render First Aid, although even basic medical care is not without risk.
Spoiler:
"Bind Wound" (the Cauterizer) only works on a person whose hit points have been reduced to zero or less. Doctor North may attempt to render First Aid, using the same procedure and bonuses as Bleeding. Success restores one hit point, failure loses on hit point.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila's attempts to request the Gypsies' aid prove in vain and she returns to the others to inform them that they will have to remain vigilant while transporting their host back to Harcourt House. She watches with concern as Doctor North attempts to treat the evidently weakening Magda. At Herr Hoffer's observation she nods and says, "I would be quite willing to assist in this matter, sir."
Spoiler:
Charisma check re Gypsies: 6+1[dice]0[/dice]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Gypsies definitely do not wish to have anything to do with these strange events. In fact, from what Miss Davenport can understand of their language, it is clear that they would rather abandon their "queen" and move on, as they consider her to have been marked for bad luck. Several of them make traditional gestures against the Evil Eye as they depart.

It would seem that the adventurers must deal with the two insensate persons on their own.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth watches the departing Gypsies, horrified that they would show so little concern to one of their own, especially she who had been their leader until now. Pulling he gaze back to her immediate surroundings, she looks with a growing sense of trepidation toward the sleeping pair. "What can I do to help?" she cries aware that they need to return to the Hall, if Mr Harcourt is to be healed.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Let us fetch the horses and make ready to depart," Lila says, hoping to calm a clearly unnerved Elizabeth. "Perhaps we will need to bring back a carriage if they cannot be supported in the saddle. Doctor North, will Magda be well enough to undertake the physical stresses of the journey to Harcourt House this night, or must we seek an alternative arrangement?"
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan, looking pale and drained, rejoins the group. His shirt bound around his chest, crimson with his blood and his jacket fastened back in place.
Turning to the Ladies,
" My applogies for my brusque and savage actions, I hope the sight has not offended too much. I had to try, the Beast was raging and Mr Harcourt's voice was lost in the tempest of hunger, the distraction worked and Mr Harcourt found his way back to us,...this time."
" What is your opinion Doctor, can Magda be moved safely? Im sure we would all feel better back within the walls of Harcourt House, if that is possible."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think she can manage the journey," says Henry. "She's tougher than you might think. Of course, we'll have to carry her. She isn't going to wake up any time soon. Davros should be able to help us with his mother. Let me just see if I can minimize the damage." He attempts to treat her and undo some of the damage the bleeding has caused. Duncan looks as though he has been bled too much as well, but he is well enough that he can wait for now.
OOC,Dexterity roll (10 stat + 3[Profession(Doctor)] + 1[True Innocent] = 14) to treat [b]Magda[/b] with First Aid: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Basic medical care has restored Magda's color to some degree. With some effort, the adventurers are able to carry both insensate persons back to Harcourt House. Of course, since they must proceed at a slow walking pace, this takes most of the rest of the night.

Upon arrival, Herr Hoffer suggests that it would be best to ensure that Mister Harcourt be restrained, lest the transformation recur. There is general agreement that this is wise counsel.

After a long, deep sleep, well into the morning, the adventurers spend a mostly unremarkable day. There is much suspense as to what the night will bring. As forecast, the metamorphosis holds the unfortunate gentleman in its grip once the Moon has risen. Fortunately, the restraints hold fast. Careful examination reveals that the creature is somewhat less formidable than last night. Herr Hoffer speculates that this may have something to do with the fact that the Moon is no longer completely full. Be that as it may, it is evident that Mister Harcourt no longer constitutes an active threat to the safety of those around him, as long as the restraints are secured each evening. The next full Moon may prove a different matter.

Herr Hoffer has a notion. General Charles Rainsford, equerry to the Duke of Gloucester (the King's brother, of course,) besides being a distinguished military commander, is also known to be a enthusiastic student of the occult and esoteric. Not only is he a very high-ranking Mason and a member of the Order of the Rosy Cross, he has also conducted alchemical experiments with his close friend Hugh Percy, the Duke of Northumberland. If an audience could be arranged with that august personage, it is possible that information relevant to Mister Harcourt's condition might be obtained.

Magda's condition improves slowly. She is occasionally lucid, and is able to take small amounts of nourishment.

Besides the concern over Mister Harcourt's condition, thought by the staff to be some sort of debilitating disease, the kitchen gossip mostly concerns Mister Dupray. According to his single servant, who keeps ears, eyes, and tongue active, he continues to suffer from disturbing dreams, and has entered a state of languid melancholy.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I believe this may be worth the attempt," Lila agrees at Herr Hoffer's notion. "However, my own reputation among the societal elite is somewhat tarnished by past circumstances. Perhaps if the request for an audience with General Rainsford were to be issued by Doctor North, at least in name, we might enjoy a better chance of acceptance."

Upon hearing of Antoine Dupray's sad state in the wake of troubling recent events she feels a momentary tug of sympathy for the lovelorn romantic, but it seems to her there are others better suited to offer comfort than she.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dukes may outrank an Earl," says Henry, "but I still might warrant their attention. They may even have heard of me already - though that could be somewhat of a disadvantage. Still, it is worth the effort. I shall write a letter at once requesting an audience."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Dukes may outrank an Earl," says Henry, "but I still might warrant their attention. They may even have heard of me already - though that could be somewhat of a disadvantage. Still, it is worth the effort. I shall write a letter at once requesting an audience."
Spoiler:
Please provide a description of the contents of the letter, particularly outlining the reasons for the request.
It will, of course, require some time for a response to the letter to arrive, General Rainsford having a great deal of correspondence to which he must attend.

The four guests may choose to return to their London lodgings and await a response to the appeal for an audience, or they may choose to remain at Harcourt House. Mister Harcourt's transformations should not prove more than Herr Hoffer and the servants can deal with, until the next full Moon.

In either case, the passage of time and the extraordinary experiences they have shared will prove to be not entirely without benefits.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Upon hearing of Antoine Dupray's malaise, Elizabeth is griefstricken that she might be the cause of it. Listening to the views of the others she interposes, "If I might be allowed to call upon Monsieur Dupray. I might be of some use in helping him to overcome this affliction. An affliction for which we are, no doubt, in a small way responsible for" She is of course referring to the recent occurence with his sibling. "I would welcome the accompaniment of any of you willing to come with me" She looks straight at Dr North, "However I will understand if other business is more pressing and will go alone if needs be"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would like to accompany you, Elizabeth," says Henry. "I've already written the letter, so there is no reason to remain here. I may be of aid to him too, especially as I am no stranger to melancholy. I can't blame him for falling in love with you, of course. How could he not?"
Text of the letter,[color=purple] "Dear [b]General Charles Rainsford[/b], I humbly request your assistance in arranging an audience with the Duke of Gloucester for myself and my colleagues, as we have need of his expertise. We are currently staying as the guests of [b]William Harcourt, Esquire[/b], and he is suffering from an unusual affliction that is beyond my ability to cure, but perhaps the Duke with his vast knowledge and wisdom may be of aid. The matter is of some urgency, as [b]Mr. Harcourt[/b]'s condition will take a turn for the worse within a month if nothing is accomplished. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Your obedient servant, [b]Dr. Henry North[/b], Earl of Dunwich [/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I had intended to return to my lodgings in the city to await the good doctor's reply, trusting that you will notify me should our request be granted," Lila tells the others. Touched by Elizabeth's virtuousness, and perhaps a little guilty, she adds, "However in the meantime before I depart, I should of course like to accompany you to visit Monsieur Dupray, if our company might lift the poor fellow's spirits."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”