Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony; Or, Rites and Revelations

Upon their return to Harcourt House, the four guests discover that Mister Harcourt is still in seclusion within his locked room. After the frenzied activities of the previous evening, the relative calm of the manor house is a relief.

Davros, nearly fully recovered, offers a written message from Mister Harcourt.

Please forgive my inability to be address you in person. I will join you late tonight. It is vital that you be ready just before midnight to perform certain actions exactly as directed. I cannot emphasize this point sufficiently. Failure to follow my instructions to the letter may result in consequences harmful to all of us. I fully expect you to be faithful to your tasks.

Yr obt srv,

Wm Harcourt, Esq

As a matter of interest, the gypsy camp has moved on, leaving the tracks of its wagons behind. The guests may spend the day and the early evening in any manner which they choose.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Henry has yet to concoct the formula he has learned, he isn't so sure that's what he should do today. It's unlikely to be of immediate use, and he can always do so at his leisure later. He knows that he could test it out by killing a small animal and bringing it back to life, but the effect would be temporary. The animal in question would be alive to start with, so killing it only to bring it back seems wasteful. Besides, what would Elizabeth think of him if he did that? He cannot bear the thought of her disapproval, nor does he want to be apart from her. Elizabeth...Not since Julia's passing has he ever felt this way about a woman, and he had thought he never would again. He has to accept the fact that he is falling for her, though to admit it to himself is daunting, for then he has to consider the danger of losing her. To admit it to her would be even more difficult, but if he never does, what chance does he have? For in that case, he would have lost her already. But how can he broach the subject with her? One thing is certain, he cannot do so unless he is with her. He goes to see what she wants to do today.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila, still recuperating from her injury, is forced to spend the day resting in the house. "Would you care to join me for a game of whist, which requires two pairs of players, to help pass the time?" she inquires of the other guests.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan awakes from a restful night after the previous evening's troubles. He rises early and seeks any news of his companions, but they have not returned yet.

Wishing to find out any news on Mary and the mysterious stranger from last night, considering the early hour, he heads to where he knows there will be life, the kitchen.

His sudden appearance at the kitchen door seems to upset cook. “ oh sir you shouldn't be down here, it's not right”. He smiles and waves her concerns aside. “ I have come seeking three things from you. Firstly to check on Mary to see if she is coping with the trauma of her kidnap and detention. It is one thing to seek adventure in your life and quite another to have it thrust upon you. Secondly to enquire if there is any news about our mysterious guest from last night, has he woken yet? And finally and nearly most importantly could I please have one of your fine cups of coffee.”

Later whilst enjoying his coffee, Duncan see the carriage return and heads outside to meet his companions,eager to find out how miss Davenport fairs after her injury and to find out what occurred during the rest of the night. Whilst regaling their tales of the Dupray's, the door opens and Davros enters, looking much recovered, bearing a letter from Mr Harcourt.

After the company has read the note and are deciding on how to spend their day. Duncan sits thinking” so tonight's the night. And yet still so many unanswered questions and unexplained events. There is more to this than is apparent”. His thoughts are broken as miss Davenport asks if anyone is interested in playing whist? “ if you are willing to teach me the rules, then I will gladly play”
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Despite being unable to recall the particulars of the night's dreams, Elizabeth is overjoyed at the prospect of returning to Harcourt Hall especially given recent events at the Dupray household. She is saddened by the departure of Antoine, but it is a temporary sadness. Soon she is delighted to find herself, once again, the object of attention from Henry.

To Lias's request she readilly agrees to making up the numbers for cards, though she confesses to having little skill in that direction. Posing in, what to many might seem an amateurish seductress manner behind her laquered Japanese fan, she flutters her eyelids at Henry, smiles, and in her sweetest tone says, "Dear Doctor North, could I prevail upon you to partner me in this game of cards. If you can spare the time of course?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mary seems to be of stout heart, and is not unduly troubled by her misadventures. For the moment she is allowed to perform only light duties, kept company by her particular friend Davros.

The mysterious gentleman has not yet fully recovered from his injury. Most of the time he remains insensate. Once in a while he can be heard to murmur a few words in German. Doctor North is able to translate these as "find him" and "stop him" and similar phrases, devoid of specifics.

After the disturbing events of the previous evening, it is enjoyable to spend time in frivolous activities and light conversation. The game of whist, in particular, requires a high degree of concentration which allows one to escape from other concerns. It is, of course, a game which involves both luck and skill.
Spoiler:
All four adventurers will please make Ability Checks on both Wisdom and Intelligence. Everyone except Miss Carrow herself may increase these abilities by 1 because she is present. These three may also decrease their Perversity to 11, since they are spending a full day in her company.

Later that evening, as the guests await the long-delayed reappearance of Mister Harcourt, Mister Dupray's servant arrives on horseback with a note. It is addressed to Miss Carrow, but it is not sealed and there is no indication that it is meant to be private; in fact, its contents reveal that it is to be shared with her companions.

Dearest!

The sight of poor Violette among the other miserable wretches confined to the hospital for lunatics has left me in a state of despair. Alas, now I comprehend all too well those immortal words of the greatest of all Italian poets. Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate!

It is no doubt due to my current state of melancholy, as well as my recent bout with brain fever, that I have been subjected to uncanny visions. I see translucent figures in the shape of two young women, pleading with me without voices.

Enough! I must trouble you no longer with my delusions. I merely wish to thank you and your friends for offering me a ray of light in the midst of darkness. Certainly you and they are welcome in this lonely house at any time. I request also that I be allowed, on some happier day, to call upon you.

Always,

Your Antoine

The hour is too late to make reply at this time. Mister Harcourt is about to appear.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry had returned Elizabeth's smile and had been delighted to be her partner at whist. While he had played a clever game, he had still been a little distracted by her presence.
OOC,Perversity reduced to 11. Wisdom roll (11 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 12): [dice]0[/dice] Intelligence roll (12 stat + 1[True Innocent] = 13): [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan listens as miss Davenport explains the rules, then they all settle down to play. Still not entirely sure he comprehends the game, Duncan is glad of the distraction.
Spoiler:
wisdom 17 + 1[dice]0[/dice]
INT 9 + 1[dice]1[/dice]
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth does her best, but the recent drama and the note from Antoine distracts her slightly.
Wisdom and Intelligence,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/436587]Wisdom: 8[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]18[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/436588]Intelligence: 8[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]19[/b]
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila is happy to be distracted for a time from the discomfort of her injury and the unsettling events of the past few days, not to mention their host's ominous instructions. In spite of her own habitual standoffishness she finds herself enjoying the company of the other guests, in particular that of Elizabeth, whose cheerful, virtuous manner lifts her spirits.

She has a bit of luck with the cards, which makes up for her middling skill at the game. Despite his claim to be unfamiliar with the game, she notes that Mister Rachman outplays them all with both uncanny luck and skill. She observes too Doctor North's frequent glances in Elizabeth's direction.
Spoiler:
Wisdom check re whist: 12+1[dice]0[/dice]

Intelligence check re whist: 11+1[dice]1[/dice]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It would appear that there is some truth to the old superstition of "beginner's luck." Mister Rachman has outplayed all the others, and he and Miss Davenport are triumphant. Miss Carrow and Doctor North do not seem overly disappointed by their loss, being more interested in each other's company.
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman may add the Asset "Good at Games" [which I just made up] to his profile, and add three to any Ability, when an Ability Check is made involving a game of luck and/or skill.
At last Mister Harcourt appears. He seems more afflicted than usual. His skin is nearly dead white. Even with his cane he walks with great difficulty. When the remarkable events of the last two days are related to him, he is astonished, yet somehow does not seem overly concerned. Rather his attention is focused, almost to the point of monomania, on the procedures which he demands of his guests.

"A few minutes before midnight," he explains, pointing at the large clock in the great hall, "you must enter my room ready to act as I instruct you. I will be prostate on my bed. Miss Davenport must enter first. She will find the Hand of Glory above my head. She must light one of the fingers with a taper. This will place me into a sleep deeper than natural slumber.

"Doctor North must enter next. He must place the vial containing the preserved pineal gland -- the essence of humanity! -- by my right shoulder. Miss Carrow must enter next, and place the sprig of monk's hood by my left shoulder, to repel all that is inhuman.

"Mister Rachman must enter last. I am afraid that his task will be the most terrible, and the most important, of all. At precisely the last stroke of midnight -- not a moment sooner or later! -- he must take his dagger and plunge it into my chest. Do not be alarmed! I assure you that you will be not be performing an act of violence, but one of benevolence.

Please trust me, and do as I say. Do not allow whatever you may witness to weaken your resolve. My fate is in your hands."

As if to emphasize his words, Mister Harcourt removes his unique spectacles for the first time since his guests have seen him. His eyes are glowing red orbs, without pupils.

After this astonishing sight, the host retreats to his room. The four guests have an hour or so to discuss what they have seen, and what they will choose to do.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Though perturbed by their host's condition, Lila can readily understand his desire to be free from whatever supernatural curse afflicts him. "For my part I am willing to carry out our employer's wishes," she says to the others. "Though it would seem the crux of the matter lies in the hands, so to speak, of Mister Rachman."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have no problem with doing my part either," says Henry. "It seems a harmless enough action. It is only Mr. Rachman's task that will require a difficult decision. I cannot be sure why our host has asked this of us. Perhaps he has decided that death is the only cure for his affliction, but then why the other tasks? He must believe they will have some other effect, that he will in fact be cured of his condition. Either that, or he has gone to great lengths to convince us of it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Surprised by the deed required of him and at Mr Harcourt 's revelation , Duncan sits quietly pondering his actions. Suddenly he realises the others have stopped talking and gave turned to look at him.
“ It is not the deed,in itself, that greatly concerns me. The ceremony is not one I have come across before, but the components required would seem to make some sense. But we have had warnings from our mysterious stranger, specifically in the form of the cards. Mine saying not to trust him.
It is the result of completing the ceremony that we do not know. Do we free Mr Harcourt and destroy his , demon for lack of a better word? Do we kill Mr Harcourt and free his demon? Or do we save Mr Harcourt but free his demon to take host elsewhere? Does not completing the ceremony bring about some dire event?
Duncan sighs deeply, “ It is times like this that I miss my Grandfather, he would have known what to do. It is my deed to carry through, but it could put us all at risk.”
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth, who had seemed distracted all evening and had continued to be so during Mr Harcourts speech, followed a few moments after his departure with a shrug as though awakening from a daydream. If she had noticed his eyes or colouring she gave no sign, "For my part, my actions in this...ritual...are small it seems but a small matter to simply carry the flower to his chamber and place it accordingly"

She gently closes the volume of romantic poetry that rested open yet unread on her lap, "However, I am not sure that Mr Rachman's part is proper. It seems to me that the strange requests of our host borders on a madness possibly worse than that of Violet Dupray. Surely none here believe that there can be any other outcome from this other than our host's death?"

She pauses in her speech as if thinking for a moment, "I give you that we have seen some strange things during our stay at this place, but to return from death? Surely this is a madness of the most dangerous sort?"
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

We have heard the chimes at midnight

-- The Second Part of King Henry the Fourth, Act 3, Scene 2

There would seem to be general agreement that little, if any, harm can come from the required activities of Miss Davenport, Miss Carrow, and Doctor North, and that they may possibly be of some use.

Mister Rachman is left to the dictates of his own conscience.

The hour approaches.

BONG BONG

Miss Davenport enters Mister Harcourt's room. It is a small, spare chamber, containing a narrow bed and little else. There is one large window, through which the moon, which reaches complete fullness this night, shines brightly. As Miss Davenport approaches, she can see that Mister Harcourt is awake. His eyes are open, and without the spectacles they glow like coals in the darkness. When the Hand of Glory is lit and placed above his head, he immediately falls into a deep sleep. The reddish glow of his eyes, now closed, are replaced by a dim, eerie green glow from the lit finger. If it were not for the very slow and shallow rising and falling of his chest, he might be thought to be dead.

BONG BONG

As Doctor North enters, he notices Mister Harcourt's state of uncommonly deep sleep, which resembles that seen in certain individuals who have consumed an excess of opium. Perhaps the gruesome artifact at his head produces a similar substance when exposed to heat. In any case, it is a simple matter to place the preserved gland at his right shoulder. Remarkably, once it is near the slumbering man, it dissolves into a fine mist, which, seemingly of its own accord, drifts through the air languidly. It enters Mister Harcourt's nostrils and vanishes.

BONG BONG

Miss Carrow enters with the sprig of monk's hood. Like any ordinary flower, it is no longer in the same perfect condition as when it was first cut. (One cannot help but be reminded of the black rose, whose unnatural ability to remain fresh and fragrant remains unexplained.) As she places it at Mister Harcourt's left shoulder, it suddenly blossoms into its original state, and fills the room with an earthy, herbal, spicy scent.

BONG BONG

As requested, Mister Rachman enters last, his dagger in hand. He bears a great responsibility, and faces a terrible decision. Perhaps if he used his knowledge of the preternatural to consider the situation in more detail . . .
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman may choose to cast the Detect Magic Incantation. As it is a level one Incantation, casting it costs one-fifth of a Hit Point, which will heal naturally in a few hours. Obviously there are magical objects within the room, but a successful Ability Check against Wisdom (with the bonus for being near the True Innocent) made after the Incantation is invoked will reveal the general nature and purpose of these objects.
BONG BONG

Whether or not he is able to learn more, Mister Rachman must make a decision. There is so little time left!

BONG

To the surprise of all, a fifth person enters the room. It is the masked highwayman, again with a pistol in his left hand. He raises the weapon and aims at Mister Rachman.

"Do not use that weapon, if you value your life!"
Spoiler:
The four adventurers have a moment to act before the last stroke sounds. If Mister Rachman chooses to strike at Mister Harcourt with the kris, he may not take any other action.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry has many questions for the masked highwayman, but he only has time for one right now, so he asks the one that is most likely to distract him in case things turn violent. He recalls what Magda had said about her other son by Mr. Harcourt, the one who had gone bad. "Is Mr. Harcourt your father?" he asks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

As the tension in the room starts to build and Mr Harcourt slumbers under the influence of the hand, Duncan quietly casts detect magic, to see if he can gain any insight into the ceremony.
Spoiler:
wisdom 17 + 1[dice]0[/dice]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

maelstrom wrote:As the tension in the room starts to build and Mr Harcourt slumbers under the influence of the hand, Duncan quietly casts detect magic, to see if he can gain any insight into the ceremony.
Spoiler:
wisdom 17 + 1[dice]184856:0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman gains a great deal of insight into the nature and purpose of the magical objects in the room. Mister Harcourt is under a curse which is transforming him into something inhuman. In a desperate effort to avoid this metamorphosis, he has researched possible ways to avoid such a fate. The Hand of Glory is used to induce a state of preternatural sleep, to withstand the pain of the procedure. The pineal gland, thought to be the seat of the human soul, is meant to strengthen his own. The monk's hood -- perhaps better named wolf's bane under these circumstances -- is intended to weaken the transformation. Mister Harcourt also hopes that the enchanted blade will drive away the curse entirely, although it is indeed a dangerous option.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:[img]

Henry has many questions for the masked highwayman, but he only has time for one right now, so he asks the one that is most likely to distract him in case things turn violent. He recalls what Magda had said about her other son by Mr. Harcourt, the one who had gone bad. "Is Mr. Harcourt your father?" he asks.
Without turning his aim away from Mister Rachman, the masked highwayman replies "If you already know so much, you must know why I am here."

The moment has fled!

BONG

Return to “Ghastly Affair”