Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Fifth: The Ceremony

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:
Text of the letter,[color=purple] "Dear [b]General Charles Rainsford[/b], I humbly request your assistance in arranging an audience with the Duke of Gloucester for myself and my colleagues, as we have need of his expertise. We are currently staying as the guests of [b]William Harcourt, Esquire[/b], and he is suffering from an unusual affliction that is beyond my ability to cure, but perhaps the Duke with his vast knowledge and wisdom may be of aid. The matter is of some urgency, as [b]Mr. Harcourt[/b]'s condition will take a turn for the worse within a month if nothing is accomplished. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Your obedient servant, [b]Dr. Henry North[/b], Earl of Dunwich [/color]
Spoiler:
Just to clear things up, although General Rainsford is equerry to the Duke of Gloucester, it is actually the Duke of Northumberland with whom he has performed alchemical experiments. I will interpret your letter in this sense, to avoid delays.

A reply will arrive within a fortnight. To be precise:

[dice]0[/dice]

In exactly one week you will have your response. That is about the time expected.
There appears to be general agreement that a visit to Mister Dupray would not be amiss. Upon arrival at his lonely cottage, the servant announces the arrival of the four visitors, and they are welcomed in. Mister Dupray is a bit thinner, a bit paler, and somewhat more subdued than previously. He cheers up slightly upon seeing Miss Carrow, but remains quieter than normal. After the usual preliminary subjects of polite conversation are exhausted, Mister Dupray is encouraged to discuss the current state of health of his sister and himself.

"Poor Violette is as well as can be expected. She no longer suffers from fits of violence and melancholy, and even seems reasonably happy. However, she has succumbed to the delusion that she is a French aristocrat of the male sex. She insists on wearing men's clothing. I am afraid that she will have to be confined for the rest of her natural life, and I have taken measures to ensure that she is as comfortable as possible.

"As for myself, I must confess that I suffer from bad dreams and restless sleep. Each night I seem to hear the voices of women, but I cannot understand their words. In my dreams I see a pair of shadowy figures, their arms extended as if they are pleading with me. As I am entirely unskilled in oneiromancy, I am unable to discover what these visions may portend. In an attempt to come to terms with this phenomenon, I have composed a sonnet based on my experiences."

Servants of Morpheus, why come thou now
In guise of mortal flesh, to haunt my nights
With images of woe and gloom? I vow
To understand thy nightly, dreary flights
Into my brain. O Furies, spare my sleep!
Why wear these masks of beauty, sweet and fair,
Then moan to me, as if from durance deep
And dark thou howl for freedom? From what lair
Of Hades must I rescue thee? What shades
Or spirits are thou? Ghosts or demons, speak!
Before the ebon curtain of night fades
And daylight steals thee away I seek
To know thy purpose. Will I never rest
Within the arms of Nyx, where all are blest?

"Enough of my worries. I trust you are all well? And how is Mister Harcourt? Has he recovered from his affliction?"

At this, the maid of all work, who has been attending to the needs of the guests, raises her eyebrows.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"His affliction is under control, for the present," says Henry. "It is not cured yet, but I'm hopeful that further research will enable him to overcome it permanently."
OOC,Thanks, I misunderstood that. That's how I would have phrased it in that case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I am pleased that his condition has not worsened, at least. If there is any manner in which I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to request my aid."
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport may make an Ability Check against her Intelligence, with the one point bonus for Demonology, to determine if the description of the dreams suggests anything to her. The other players may freely speculate.
In any event, whatever else may occur during the week, the adventurers will discover that their extraordinary experiences, as well as the rewards promised by Mister Harcourt, the awarding of which was arranged before his unfortunate transformation, have resulted in several benefits.
Spoiler:
All four characters are now second level.

Miss Davenport's hit points are now 8 + 1d8. She also has a +1 damage bonus during combat. In addition to the blessed rosary, she may select another special weapon (supplied by Mister Harcourt) which she does not yet possess; an iron dagger, silver bullets, a stake of ash wood, or anything else within reason which is designed for use against preternatural creatures. Be aware that, at second level, she will draw the attention of her Nemesis.

Doctor North's hit points are now 4 + 1d4. He also has a +1 damage bonus during combat. In addition to the formula for temporarily reanimating a small, recently deceased animal, already supplied by Mister Harcourt, he may also select one Mad Invention of level one, or one Monstrous Servant of level two, or two of level one. Be aware that, in either case, its use will run the risk of attracting an Angry Mob.

Mister Rachman's hit points are now 4+ 1d4. He also has a +1 damage bonus during combat. He may also choose any new Spell of level 1 or 0. He may also choose another of either level, thanks to esoteric knowledge gained from Mister Harcourt's library.

Having spent a great deal of time with the True Innocent, these three adventurers may also adjust their Perversity to any level from 7 to the current value of 11 (by my calculations.) I will judge that no further lowering will occur, since 6 or below is an inherently Good character, and these characters were all created as neither inherently Good or Evil.

Miss Carrow's hit points are now 4 + 1d4. She also has a +1 damage bonus during combat. She also now has two Grace Points which may be used to redo dice rolls. Some time before a reply to Doctor North's letter is received, she will obtain the manuscript from Herr Mozart which was promised by Mister Harcourt. (It is a preliminary version of the aria "Der Holle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" [Hell's vengeance boils in my heart], sung by a character called the Queen of the Night, from a work in progress to be called "Die Zauberflote" [The Magic Flute]. It is a remarkable work, difficult and striking, almost frightening. Learning it will give Miss Carrow the Asset of Musical, in addition to the Good Singing Voice she already possesses.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila puzzles over the significance of Monsieur Dupray's dreams.

Noting the maid's reaction, she quietly excuses herself while the others are talking to make use of the convenience - but instead slips into the kitchen, and privately confronts the maid when she re-enters. "Madam, do you know something of Mister Harcourt's condition?"
Spoiler:
Intelligence check re dream: 11+1[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
New hit points calculation: 8+[dice]1[/dice]

Lila's new Perversity will be 11.

She will take the iron dagger as a new weapon.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Lila puzzles over the significance of Monsieur Dupray's dreams.
Unfortunately, she is unable to recall a similar circumstance. It may be nothing more than the result of an irregular diet, as far as she can tell.
Noting the maid's reaction, she quietly excuses herself while the others are talking to make use of the convenience - but instead slips into the kitchen, and privately confronts the maid when she re-enters. "Madam, do you know something of Mister Harcourt's condition?"
"Condition? Damnation sent by Old Scratch hisself, says I. What he's done to earn it, I'll not guess. Not a soul be safe while he's alive, that's for sure."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Unfortunately, she is unable to recall a similar circumstance. It may be nothing more than the result of an irregular diet, as far as she can tell.
Nevertheless, Lila makes a mental note to avail herself of the library at Harcourt House once more before she departs for London, on the off-chance she may find a pertinent reference.
"Not a soul be safe while he's alive, that's for sure."
"Pray, what do you mean by this?" Lila asks, thinking of what happened to Harcourt's wife.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
"Pray, what do you mean by this?" Lila asks, thinking of what happened to Harcourt's wife.
"Word be that you've seen him yourself, running wild through wood like savage beast. No rest while that's loose, by my word."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I see," Lila says, realizing there is nothing more to be learned here, and goes to rejoin the others.
Spoiler:
OOC:   I try.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Additional Hit Points on top of my original 4: [dice]0[/dice] At some point during the week, I'd like to prepare the formula for reanimating a small dead animal. I'll choose to lower my Perversity to 7. I was looking at the sections for Mad Inventions and Monstrous Servants. While the maximum total levels of each is equal to your character's level, and you can take one or the other at each new level, it isn't clear that you can only take them at level one. How does one get higher level Monstrous Servants or more powerful Mad Inventions if that is the case? Am I able to take a 2nd level Monstrous Servant, as that is the maximum number of levels I can control at 2nd level (since I currently have zero levels). With Mad Inventions, I could take a second level 1 Mad Invention, which would take me to my maximum, but from my reading of the rules it seems I could also exchange may existing level 1 for a level 2 Mad Invention, essentially cannibalizing it. I wouldn't want to do that, though, as I want to keep the Cauteriser, but perhaps at 3rd level I could take a level 2 Mad Invention and still keep my level 1.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Spoiler:
New hit points [dice]0[/dice]
Duncan listens carefully as Mr Dupray tells of his sisters fate and then of the troubling dreams he has been suffering from himself.
The spirits have not been kind to this family and now even his sleep his plagued. surely there must be a way to ease their suffering. But without knowing the cause, how can a resolution be fashioned. The thoughts spiral around Duncan’s mind, entwining with those surrounding Mr Harcourt’s terrible transformation.
Duncan’s thoughts are interupted as Mr Dupray begins the recital of his dream sonnet.

Duncan listens and is sure there must be some clue lost amongst the words, but maybe it is lost on him, maybe his lesser knowledge of western phraseology. Maybe it is something else He can research.

It has occurred to him, that whilst they wait for a response to the Doctors letter, a brief trip back to London could be in order. A chance to resupply his meagre stock of Javan coffee and a few other supplies. Time to do some research in the many library’s available in London and a word with a few others wise in such matters. Lastly some time to conduct some ceremonies of his own in light of recently gain knowledge.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth listens to Antoine's tale with a growing horror. Had she been the cause of the poor man's malaise? She gazes with an imploring look towards Henry, "Is there nothing you can do to help Sir?"
With a bow of her head which allows the light to fully illuminate her golden curls she turns her smiling face to Antoine, "Dear Antoine tell me what I may do to bring peace to your mind? For I feel I am to blame for this situation you currently find yourself in"
Hit points,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/443915]Increase in Hit Points: 4+1d4[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]2[/b] So Elizabeth now has 6HP
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Additional Hit Points on top of my original 4: [dice]185564:0[/dice] At some point during the week, I'd like to prepare the formula for reanimating a small dead animal. I'll choose to lower my Perversity to 7. I was looking at the sections for Mad Inventions and Monstrous Servants. While the maximum total levels of each is equal to your character's level, and you can take one or the other at each new level, it isn't clear that you can only take them at level one. How does one get higher level Monstrous Servants or more powerful Mad Inventions if that is the case? Am I able to take a 2nd level Monstrous Servant, as that is the maximum number of levels I can control at 2nd level (since I currently have zero levels). With Mad Inventions, I could take a second level 1 Mad Invention, which would take me to my maximum, but from my reading of the rules it seems I could also exchange may existing level 1 for a level 2 Mad Invention, essentially cannibalizing it. I wouldn't want to do that, though, as I want to keep the Cauteriser, but perhaps at 3rd level I could take a level 2 Mad Invention and still keep my level 1.
Spoiler:
I had to look this over myself, and I was in error.

Take a look at the "Mad Scientist Advancement Table" (page 77.) The column "Max. Mad Invention Level" limits you as to what level of Mad Invention you can claim at your level. At level 2, you can still only claim a first level Mad Invention. However, your level 2 status, as you say, allows you to possess two level one Mad Inventions without having to destroy one. (The reanimation formula is a free one.)

However, I was wrong about the Monstrous Servant. (See page 75.) At level 2, you could have two level one Servants or one level two Servant.

However, it does seem clear that you can claim a new Mad Invention or a new Monstrous Servant (or two), but not both (not even one level one of each type.)

I hope that's confusing enough. I'm not one to rigidly enforce rules, so anything within reason is OK with me.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Priest wrote:Elizabeth listens to Antoine's tale with a growing horror. Had she been the cause of the poor man's malaise? She gazes with an imploring look towards Henry, "Is there nothing you can do to help Sir?"
With a bow of her head which allows the light to fully illuminate her golden curls she turns her smiling face to Antoine, "Dear Antoine tell me what I may do to bring peace to your mind? For I feel I am to blame for this situation you currently find yourself in."
A brief examination reveals that there does not appear to be any medical cause for Mister Dupray's disturbed mental condition.

He does seem to be cheered by the use of his first name by Miss Carrow.

"No, no, blessed angel! You have brought me nothing but delight. Surely this will pass away with time."

There is a long pause.

"If you truly wish to bestow a boon of exalted beneficence upon my unworthy self, there is one act -- I blush to mention it! -- which would doubtlessly relieve my troubled soul. That act which awakened Galatea from her stony sleep! Dearest Elizabeth, dare I request the favor of a single kiss?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth reddens at Antoine's request and for a moment considers refusal. However the idea of her guilt in being in some part resposible for the circumstance that he now endures, softens her heart, "As you desire a small kiss is the least I can bestow" she steps forward her resolve complete, and even though the shame of her wanton action burns within her, some deeper part yet flutters with excitement - a forbidden excitement.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shall do what I can, Elizabeth," says Henry, trying to restrain his jealousy, "but there is a limit to what I can do. You are not responsible for his condition, so do not blame yourself. He suffered from it before he ever met you." He regards Antoine. "The imbalance in your bodily humours has led to a surfeit of melancholy. From what I've been able to determine about your situation, you have a tendency to fall in love with various women. It is no surprise that you have fallen for Elizabeth, as she is a paragon of virtue and an unending fount of kindness and compassion, not to mention exceedingly beautiful. She is not the first woman you have loved, nor will she be the last. The best thing for you would be to find a woman who loves you in return, who feels the same way about you as you do about her. It is not an easy search, as well I know, but it is well worth the effort. I was lucky to find my wife, and when I lost her I too was overcome with melancholy. My heart was broken, and I believed I would never fall in love again. However, I was mistaken. You too can find happiness."
OOC,I'd like to recruit a Monstrous Servant, a second level Brute. Strength is one area where I severely lack, so it might be helpful to have an assistant who excels there.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I will meditate upon your wise counsel, Doctor. I am also certain that the precious gift of which I have been the most undeserving recipient will restore my spirits."

After various farewells have been made, the guests return to Harcourt House for a final evening before returning to London.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport may make another Ability Check against Intelligence + Demonology bonus to determine if Mister Harcourt's library contains a relevant volume of dream interpretation.
As good fortune would have it, the manuscript from Herr Mozart arrives that evening. Doctor North is able to provide a translation of the German libretto.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Sarastro
Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr.
Verstossen sei auf ewig,
Verlassen sei auf ewig,
Zertrümmert sei'n auf ewig
Alle Bande der Natur
Wenn nicht durch dich!
Sarastro wird erblassen!
Hört, Rachegötter,
Hört der Mutter Schwur!
The vengeance of Hell boils in my heart,
Death and despair flame about me!
If Sarastro does not through you feel
The pain of death,
Then you will be my daughter nevermore.
Disowned may you be forever,
Abandoned may you be forever,
Destroyed be forever
All the bonds of nature,
If not through you
Sarastro becomes pale!
Hear, Gods of Revenge,
Hear a mother's oath!
Although the music is undeniably extraordinary, and Miss Carrow's performance, even on a first reading, masterful, the grim lyrics must give one pause.

After a good night's rest, the four adventurers are eager to return to their familiar lodgings in the great city. No doubt they will soon be reunited to face new experiences.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I'd like to recruit a Monstrous Servant, a second level Brute. Strength is one area where I severely lack, so it might be helpful to have an assistant who excels there.
Spoiler:
This will require some thought.
Brutes are strong men who are employed to lift, carry, move, or break things. The stereotypical Brute
is exceptionally strong, with a 13 Strength at 1st Level. Unfortunately, the typical Brute is also dimwitted,
with an 7 Intelligence. To make a Brute, replace one of the character's Class Special Abilities
with “Feat of Strength” (as the Demon Hunter Special Ability).
Since this is a level 2 Brute, I assume its strength should be at least 14. I would say that you should be free to increase that to 18 -- the "normal" human maximum -- but for each point above 14 decrease intelligence by one point.

Besides the "Feat of Strength" ability, I'd say that the Brute should be an Everyman character; the other classes don't seem to really fit. With that in mind, I'd say that the basic characteristics besides Strength and Intelligence should be 9. Given the Everyman class, you would be free to increase one of those, of your choice, to 11. The brute should also have the Everyman abilities -- profession, avocation, affection, inheritance, social contacts -- and weaknesses -- phobia, prejudice -- of your choice. Obviously these should be reasonably appropriate to the character. Its Hit Points will be 6 + 1d6. If you want to give the Brute Assets and Afflictions of an appropriate kind, that would be fine; just be sure that it has the same number of each.

It would helpful to give it some kind of back story; name, description, how it came to serve you, etc.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

That evening, after Miss Carrow's haunting performance of the libretto, Lila peruses the house's library in search of a reference to Antoine Dupray's strange dreams.
Spoiler:
Intelligence check re library: 11+1[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Hooray!  
The following morning, she bids what she hopes is a temporary farewell to her companions. On impulse she gives Elizabeth a quick hug. "Take care, innocent one," she murmurs. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

Or women, she adds silently to herself.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A curious volume in Mister Harcourt's library, which appears to be an anonymous addendum to Sir Thomas Browne's famous essay on dreams, suggests that the type of recurring dream experienced by Mister Dupray might be the result of a haunting by Phantoms; these being defined by the unknown author as incorporeal Ghosts with no ability to produce physical manifestations, but capable of creating the illusory appearance of such. They may be benign or malevolent, but generally have some motivation, the which being attained, they will depart from the material plane. The other method of dismissing them is through the use of enchanted or blessed objects, or those made from iron or silver, or, in certain cases, simply through a powerful demonstration of Faith.
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will soon be able to proceed to Chapter the Sixth.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”