Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Chapter the Fourth: The Masquerade

Post by Priest »

Alas Elizabeth's brave attempt to keep control of her fear crazed mount comes to naught at the sudden appearance of something that even to her eyes has no right to be. Through rapidly darkening sight and wildly swimming senses, she is vaguely aware of the direct approach of the thing, it seems she is to be the target of its attack.

She is dimly aware of three things which seem to almost happen at once, in a slow motion. Lila guiding her mount between herself and the creature, Mr Rachman chanting in a strange, unfamiliar tongue, and dear Henry sweeping his pistol aloft. However all that follows is darkness as she slips into a dead faint...

She opens her eyes from the comforting blackness of her faint to find herself unhorsed and surrounded by her caring companions. Of the horrid creature there was no sign.

As her eyes focus and colour slowly returns to her cheeks she is aware of some urgency in the talk of the others. It would seem Lila is keen to follow the trail of the thing to a close by cottage, that of the Dupray twins...
Fainting,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/430900]To avoid fainting: Cha 11[/url]: [u]1d20[/u] [b]17[/b] I apologise for my earlier misreading of the cice. Elizabeth will hang on to her 'Grace Point' for the moment, so her horse has gone lost when she fainted
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

At the cottage, Lila is still on edge from the attack and would prefer to search the grounds for any further signs of demonic activity, though she looks to the others to see what they propose.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let us search around outside first," suggests Henry. "We need to know what we are getting into before we go in. Perhaps we can find the assailant's horse, and clues may be in the saddlebags. It certainly did not go inside the house. There must be a stable here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

It is obvious that one of the horses has recently been ridden hard, and that it has not been properly cared for after its exertion, as if the rider were in great haste. An inspection of the saddlebags reveals that they contain multiple stones of a size appropriate for use in a slingshot. There is nothing else of interest in the stable.

At this point it may be appropriate to note that the Dupray cottage consists of a single floor. Besides the small stable, the grounds contain only the very large garden. The ladies will recall, from their previous visit, that the relatively modest home consists of the great hall, used for many general purposes, including the musical salons; a small kitchen and dining area; a single room for the Dupray's only servant, a maid-of-all-work, next to the kitchen; a bedroom for Miss Dupray and a bedroom for Mister Dupray. Besides the front door, there is only one entrance, which leads directly into the kitchen, no doubt for the convenience of the servant.

As of yet, the arrival of the adventurers has not drawn the attention of the person in the great hall.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's all the evidence we need to show that at least one of the Duprays was behind the attack," says Henry. "We could slip in through the servants' entrance and confront whoever's there, or we could simply knock as if we are visiting and ignorant of their involvement. We could ask questions regarding Mary's disappearance and see what we can learn before we tip our hand."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Recalling Cook's tale of two other women in attendance at the Duprays' going missing, Lila agrees with Doctor North's suggestion of attempting to learn what they can of Mary's disappearance through questioning.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Looking a little disheveled and pale from the recent experience with the creature, Elizabeth smiles at Dr North. "It might be better to adopt Henry's second suggestion, rather than become mere thieves in the night". She brushes aside an errant lock of hair that has fallen across her eyes, "Please allow me to knock at the cottage. For I believe that the Dupray's would not turn away a distressed maiden in search of aid".
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth's smile warms Henry's heart, and he returns one of his own. Nobody else his been able to make him smile in a long time. "An excellent point," says Henry. "Very well. The rest of us shall be nearby in case they have less than honourable intentions."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The door is soon opened by Mister Dupray, who wears a dressing gown. He face lights up with a wide smile.

"Elizabeth! Uh, that is, I am delighted to see you, Miss Carrow. And Miss Davenport as well, of course. I do not believe that I have the honor of being acquainted with these two gentlemen, but you are all welcome. Please come in, and do forgive my state of dishabille. I often spend an evening alone in conversation with my quill, ha-ha."

After the introductions are made, Mister Dupray invites his guests to share toast and mineral water with him. "I find that a light repast is conducive to the creative process. If I may be so bold . . ."

Mister Dupray shows his guests a sheet of paper with the following lines (much revised, with words crossed out and others written in their place):

The path to Paradise, I vow,
Is very steep and narrow;
Yet I have found the true way now.
'Twas writ on Cupid's arrow!
That merry archer loosed his bow
And cried, "Love's name is

Mister Dupray coughs and blushes a bit. "It is, of course, not yet complete. Do you think the rhyme in the fifth line is very bad? But forgive me. It is obvious that you have come here for some more serious purpose. What can I do for you, mes amis?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry can't help feeling a twinge of jealousy at Mr. Dupray's obvious reference to Elizabeth in his composition, but he reassures himself that she would never fall for such an obvious ploy. "One of Mr. Harcourt's servants, Mary, has gone missing," he says. "We were hoping you or your sister might have seen her recently."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Dupray seems puzzled. "Missing, you say? I suppose she has run off somewhere, as servants are wont to do now and then." He thinks a moment. "Mary, Mary . . . I imagine you mean the little Irish girl who assisted the guests with their costumes at Mister Harcourt's masquerade. I heard her praised by Miss Carrow" -- a flush comes to his ivory cheeks -- "for her skill as a seamstress. No, I cannot say I have seen her since that evening. Violette -- my sister, you understand -- is in her room sleeping. I'm afraid that she finds my nighttime scribbling a dreary form of entertainment. Allow me to question her."

He goes to Miss Dupray's room and taps lightly on the door. Receiving no answer, he enters quietly.

"Violette? It is I, Antoine," he whispers. After a while, more loudly, "Awake, s'il vous plait!" A moment later, in some alarm, he turns to his guests. "Fetch the candle, quickly!" When it is brought, he looks about the room. The bed has not been slept in. "She is not here! Is it possible that she is missing also? My friends, you must help me look for her. Perhaps she has only gone for a walk in the moonlight, although that would be very much unlike her. However, if she has met with some unfortunate fate, the scoundrel who has abducted her must have left some evidence of his foul crime. I give you free leave to search throughout the house and on the grounds. I will stand outside and call for her."

More candles are lit and distributed. Mister Dupray stands outside the front door. "Violette? Where are you?"

The only answer is the wind.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course we'll help search for her," says Henry. "We should probably start with her room. She may have left a note or something that would tell us where she's gone. How long ago did you see her last? "
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

It is plain to Lila that Mister Dupray is infatuated with Miss Carrow. She recalls the mysterious riddle of seduction Elizabeth had shown her at the musical salon and considers it likely it was penned by the same hand. Still, it is none of her affair - she is more concerned with the presence of supernatural forces in the area.

Though Antoine's concern for his missing sister seems genuine, there is still the matter of the horse in the stable which clearly belonged to the attacker with the slingshot. For the time being she decides to give Antoine the benefit of the doubt since he seems a harmless enough lovelorn romantic. "Let us search the garden," she says. "If Miss Dupray has left any indications of her passage I may be able to track them."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Of course we'll help search for her," says Henry. "We should probably start with her room. She may have left a note or something that would tell us where she's gone. How long ago did you see her last? "
"Why, let me think. Violette retired to her room this afternoon, I believe, with a headache. I have not seen her since. Please do search her room for any message she might have left, sir."
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Wisdom to see if you find anything of interest in the room.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote: "Let us search the garden," she says. "If Miss Dupray has left any indications of her passage I may be able to track them."
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Wisdom to see if you find anything of interest.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Wisdom check re garden: 12[dice]0[/dice]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Unfortunately, if there are any clues in the garden as to whereabouts of the missing ladies, Miss Davenport is unable to locate them. Some other strategy will have to be applied.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry thoroughly searches the room, leaving nothing unchecked.
OOC,Wisdom roll (11) searching [b]Violette[/b]'s room: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth, content to let the others begin the search, smiles at Antoine, gently taking his arm. "My dear Monsieur Dupray, I am certain that your sister has not gone far and that my good companions will soon uncover her whereabouts. However, with such strange happenings of recent hours I fear that discovery of her fate is of the utmost importance. Therefore may I ask if anything strange has occurred recently, maybe a secret or a hidden thing?" As she speaks she studies his expression for any odd changes.
- Anais Nin
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan follows miss Davenport out into the garden to aid with the search. Surely the young lady can't have just vanished into thin air.
Spoiler:
search. Wisdom 17 [dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Ghastly Affair”