Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Chapter the Fourth: The Masquerade

Post by Rooter »

Emerging from the library at midday, Lila wonders at the playing cards left on the dining table and their ominous messages. Four cards for four guests. But which message is intended for which guest? It strikes her that Gypsies may dabble in such fortune telling. Her resolve to visit the camp for herself this afternoon is firmed and she prepares to set forth. She pockets the cards.

Observing the two men at the front door and their enigmatic message, though unable to infer what this buried item may be, she once more ponders their host's motivations.
Last edited by Rooter on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

After spending the morning enjoying the weather and meditating on passing events at Harcourt hall. Duncan decides to go and see how Dr. North’s investigation of the deceased horse is progressing.

Upon arriving at the stable, Duncan is somewhat shocked by the condition of the corpse, having seen the results of leopard attacks at home. Talking to the doctor reveals what he has discovered from his examination. It seem to make little sense, the small size and footprints, why no paw prints? and the smell is overwhelming, something just doesn’t sit right in Duncan’s mind and a cold shiver runs down his spine.

When the Doctor points out the blood and trail leading away from the scene. Duncan declares that he will follow it. If some beast has come into the Halls ground and fed like this, it may well be inclined to return. He heads back to his room to fetch his stoutest cane. upon passing through the hall he discovers the cards and thier cryptic messages, mysteriously left.

Events here are becoming more tangled than mangrove roots. The cards he recognises as tarrot cards, but he knows little more of their meaning, maybe there would be a book covering the subject in the library. But for now he collects his cane and heads back to the stable and the trail of blood.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It had occurred to Henry that if he had concocted the formula he had been given, he might have tried using it to restore the horse to life, at least temporarily. He didn't have it ready, and by the time he could produce it, the horse would have been dead too long for it to be effective. It was too large an animal, regardless. Also, one look at the horse - or what was left of it - told him that it would have been in vain anyway.

"I had suspected wolves at the outset," says Henry, looking up from his examination, "but this is not their work. Whatever beast did this has sharp teeth and claws, but it isn't very large. There are no animal tracks, though, just the prints of bare feet, possibly of the grooms. Whatever did this resembles a man, but is not a man. If I had to guess, I would say some sort of ape, but of course there are none anywhere near here. There are traces of the creature leaving in that direction." He indicates the trail of blood. "If you wish to hunt it, Dr. Rachman, you should not go alone. I would go with you. Elizabeth, I would welcome your company, though this may be dangerous."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

For a moment Elizabeth looks at the butchered remains of the horse, she has seen worse, but there is something unsettling about these remains. She considers turning down the doctor's invitation, yet the fires of curiosity are burning strongly within her. Surely with two strong and capable gentlemen to guard her against whatever beast did this, she has little to fear. Dr North mentioned bear or wolves, yet surely there are no bears of wolves left in England, still she is hard pressed to think of any indigenous predator capable of such carnage. She recalls seeing the aftermath of a fox attack on chicken house prior to her relocation with her aunt, but no fox would be able to inflict such savagery on an animal as large as a horse.

With a last look at the remains she turns, smiling, to the doctor, "I doubt that I need fear with such brave men to protect me" she includes the strange Mr Rachman in her smile, "I shall willingly accompany you. I trust that you both are suitably armed, if we should happen upon a ferocious beast? Or should I armed with my parasol protect us all?" She finishes her words with a small, musical, laugh.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

It is a simple matter to follow the trial through the high grass to the deserted outbuilding. Not far away there is evidence of the ground having been disturbed. It appears as if a long, shallow pit had been dug, then filled in, then torn open again. Upon closer examination of the pit, a pile of human bones, in the same condition as those of the horse, are found. The remains of clothing, torn into shreds, reveal that this is the body of the young highwayman. There is no sign that whatever creature might be responsible for this destruction left the area after doing its work; the trail does not continue in any direction, and it would have been impossible for it to travel without disturbing the grass.

There would seem to be nothing to do for the moment but to return to Harcourt House for a light midday meal. The servants make it clear that Mister Harcourt cannot be disturbed for any reason until tomorrow night.

The four guests are free to engage in speculation about the events they have witnessed, and as to the meaning of the messages left on the four cards. As there would seem to be nothing else detaining them for the rest of the day, there will most likely be general agreement that a visit to the Gypsy camp that afternoon might not be without profit. If nothing else, it would be an act of common courtesy to warn them that a dangerous beast may be in the area.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila is quietly glad that the other guests will accompany her to the camp. Parlaying with Gypsy folk is not a skill either her noble upbringing nor her demon hunter training has gifted her. Miss Carrow in particular may possess the common charm she herself lacks.

Upon hearing their account of the violated corpse of her horse, she realizes that the signs match those of the description of the creature she learned in the library, which she encountered in the churchyard the previous night, and decides to inform the other guests of the possible presence of a Ghoulish Revenant in the area. She is unsure of how they will react to being told of supernatural affairs but feels it is best they are warned. Ghoulish Revenants are the cursed and reanimated corpses of those who ate human flesh while alive. They hunger for flesh, preferably human. They do not care if it is fresh or rotted, and will happily despoil a graveyard if no living prey is available.

Now that she knows what the creature is her hunter's instincts tell her she will be compelled to attempt to vanquish it sooner or later.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a short and pleasant walk to the Gypsy camp. Recognizing Miss Carrow and Doctor North from their previous visit, the inhabitants are friendly, no doubt expecting to earn more coins. Very soon, however, Magda emerges from the largest and most elaborately decorated of the wagons. She confronts the visitors directly.

"Why William send you here? What you wish?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth listens to Lila's warning, but does not truly understand what she is being told. Some vile undead creature who preys upon human flesh, she shudders involuntarily as if someone had just walked over her grave. For a moment she thinks to challenge the notion, but decides to ignore the idea, prefering to believe the events the work of some natural creature of flesh and bone rather than some flesh hungering monster from nightmare.

She is still wrestling with the thought when the Gypsy woman from the masquerade suddenly appears, "Sent...William...no one sent us madam we merely wished to visit the camp"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Miss Carrow is correct," adds Dr. North. "We have come back of our own accord, and we have brought a couple of our friends with us: Miss Davenport and Mr. Rachman. We also wanted to warn you that a dangerous beast is in the area." He is not sure he believes the talk about Ghoulish Revenants, but he lacks any other explanation, and he has seen something else recently that defies explanation as well. In any case, he thinks it best to let Miss Davenport describe the creature, as she is the expert on the subject.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila steps forward at the prompting of Doctor North and, despite feeling somewhat intimidated by this wild Gypsy woman, begins to recount the odd happenings around Harcourt House.

"One gathers from your, ahem, interjection at the ball last night that you and our host are acquainted with each other," she says. "We have no wish to pry into your private affairs, of course, but if there is anything you can tell us which may assist in our travails I am sure we would be most grateful."

"There is one other matter," Lila adds, taking out the playing cards. "These arrived mysteriously. Perhaps you or your people are aware of their meaning?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Magda does not seem overly surprised by the description of the creature.

"Dead follow Gypsies," she says, somewhat mysteriously.

She examines the cards. "Playthings." She briefly looks at the backs of the cards, but it is obvious that the messages written there mean nothing to her. It seems likely that she is completely illiterate.

One by one she hands a card to each of the guests.

The one bearing the title Le Bateleur (which Miss Davenport can translate as "the mountebank") she gives to Mister Rachman. "You are trickster, I think. This card is yours."

The one called L'Amoureux ("the lovers") she gives to Miss Carrow. She wears a sly smile. "You have lover, no? This card is yours."

The one named La Force ("strength") she gives to Miss Davenport. "You are strong woman. This card is yours."

The card with no name, whose image is familiar to all, she gives to Doctor North. "This is your enemy. This card is yours."

In a much softer voice than usual, she asks "Will Davros live?"

Assured that he is recovering from his wound, she regains her confident manner.

"Good. I not lie. If he die, I kill William." She seems to consider the visitors for a moment.

"You are his friends. You must know. Long ago, William is married. His wife go mad. She do very bad things. William is sad. My people come here. He come to see." She pauses for a moment.

"Because I am Gypsy, because I am woman, because I dance, men think I am whore." She turns her head to spit on the ground. "Not William. He talk gentle words. He come to me many times." She is lost in thought for a while.

"I give him sons, as woman should. His wife die. He wish to marry, but I am Gypsy. I must journey always. I go away, take his sons. One is good boy. When he is grown, I come back, take him to father. He is Davros." There is another pause in her story, and she seems distressed.

"Other son is bad. I not speak his name. He run away, break my heart. That is why I kill William if Davros die. Then I kill myself." She seems to cheer up a bit. "But you say he live. Good! Then I go away. Tell William I love him, but I am Gypsy. I must be free."

With that, she turns away from her visitors and returns to her wagon.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"What do you mean?", asks Elizabeth, "Dead follow Gypsies" She assumes Magada is referring to the Revenant, or whatever, Lila called it. So is the Gypsy suggesting that such things exist? Now she is really confused, yet still chooses to believe that some kind of natural creature is involved content to leave the supernatural to children's tales and to the works of poets and drug fueled authors.

When Lila produces the strange cards for the Gypsy to interpret, she is intrigued. However Magda's presumption that the card she refers to as 'The Lovers' could in any way relate to her startles her. Her cheeks redden and flush, perhaps with annoyance at the inference, or unconcious desire, she cannot tell.
"Madam, please I do believe this card refers to someone else. I have no lover"
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"What do you mean?", asks Elizabeth, "Dead follow Gypsies?"
"The hunting woman can tell you."
"Madam, please I do believe this card refers to someone else. I have no lover."
"Woman can have lover and not know."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth watches in confused silence as the Gypsy woman dissappears inside her wagon. With each declaration, Elizabeth's confusion deepens. She assumes that by 'Hunting Woman' Magda is referring to Lila, so obviously Lila knows more than she is telling. Elizabeth glances towards her trying to understand the level of trustworthiness to be found in someone who until very recently had been unknown.

She looks away turning her gaze to Dr North, was he this mysterious lover of which she does not know? She acknowledges that his attention has become somewhat oppresive, yet at no time has he attempted anything improper. Or does the Gypsy know something she does not? Mr Harcourt had alluded to knowing the identity of her secret admirer, is this knowledge something that the Gypsy shares? She decides to broach the subject to Mr Harcourt later. For the moment she awaits whatever developments will flow from the visit to the Gypsy camp...
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila turns the playing card over in her hands, reading the message written thereon with skepticism. The one you seek is not far. Could it be...? But no, she dismisses the thought immediately. In any event, from Magda's reaction it seems the Gypsies were not the authors of these messages. In which case, who is toying with the guests in this manner?

Dead follow Gypsies... Yes, she is aware that for reasons unknown the restless dead are drawn to Gypsy people, so Magda speaks the truth in this regard. Noting Miss Carrow's suspicious glance in her direction, Lila mutters a brief explanation of this phenomenon which is not common knowledge outside of demon hunter circles.

The revelation of Davros' parentage, whom she had assumed was a simple servant, also leaves her somewhat nonplussed. She does not recall seeing the man since the night of their arrival at Harcourt House, but then she has had other concerns occupying her attention.

All in all, this visit has raised more questions than answers, leaving her to ponder...
Last edited by Rooter on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry examines the Death card. "I won't give up on my quest just because some anonymous stranger says it's in vain," he declares before speaking to Magda as she leaves. "Davros will live, do not worry. One of the highwaymen wounded him as he brought us into this area in the coach, but I was able to stop the bleeding and save his life."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When the four guests arrive back at Harcourt House, the sun has nearly set. Things seem to be in something of an uproar. Servants are running hither and yon. All attempts to rouse Mister Harcourt, still in seclusion in his room, have failed. The servants are reluctant to break his door down. Davros has left his sickbed, but is only able to take a few steps before collapsing.

Before the guests can inquire as to what peculiar circumstances have led to this ado, they are greeted by the gentleman who was disguised as a vampyre during the masquerade. He still wears simple black clothing, but now it is clean. His skin is no longer discolored by paint, and the fangs and claws are gone.

"I trust you all received my messages? Forgive me for being somewhat mysterious, but there are certain parties who might take unwarranted interest were I to be specific. In particular, I must warn you against --"

A mighty crash shatters one of the windows. The man is struck down. Upon examination, it is clear that a large, blunt object -- later found to be an ordinary rock -- has smashed into his head. Although he is not dead, it is obvious that he will be unconscious for some time. A servant rushes to the window to report finding a slingshot on the ground, and someone running away quickly.

As if all this commotion were not enough, Cook appears from the kitchen in a state of frenzy.

"Mary's gone missin'! No trace to be found, like them other girls. And the Master dead to the world. What's to be done?"

Indeed; what is to be done?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Still confused by the visit to the gypsy camp and Magda's cryptic words, Elizabeth finds her confusion deepened by the events at the House. What is happening?
The sudden appearance of a now human looking gentleman, to whom she has not been introduced, almost sends her senses into a mad whirl. What messages and warn against what or who?
Then with a smashing of glass the stranger is struck down before he can finish his words.

At this turn of events she feels the very room begin to spin and the ground turn to liquid beneath her feet, darkness starts to cloud her vision. Yet, before her senses fade entirely she hears the frenzied entrance of the cook and her mournful cry,
Previously cook said:   "Mary's gone missin'! No trace to be found, like them other girls. And the Master dead to the world. What's to be done?"  
OOC:   I thought Elizabeth might faint at this point, for dramatic effect.  
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

From his abruptly interrupted words Lila realizes this gentleman must be responsible for the cryptic messages on the playing cards. But who or what was he trying to warn them against? Standing over the prone form she looks to the passing servants. "Does anybody know the identity of this man?" she asks.

At Cook's sudden entrance she glances sharply at the servant. "Other girls, madam? Pray, to which other girls do you refer?"

From the corner of her eye she sees Miss Carrow begin to sway...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

His gaze never far from Elizabeth, Henry moves quickly to catch her in case she falls before going to check on the stranger who warned them and Davros.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”