Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Dramatis Personae: Character Generation

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Please create your characters here. Here is an outline of the process. You may also wish to refer to the Player's Handbook.

https://engineoforacles.files.wordpress ... ee-pdf.pdf

It is certainly not necessary to follow these steps in this exact order. For example, I did not have a good idea for Step One until the character began to take shape.

STEP ONE: CHARACTER INSPIRATION: This plays no direct role in the game, but may help you get a feel for your character. Is she like Jane Austen, or is he like Victor Frankenstein? The possibilities are endless.

STEP TWO: CHARACTER CLASS: Choose one of the following classes:
• Bandit: A lurking Footpad, flamboyant Highwaymen, or snarling Pirate
• Demon Hunter: Someone who studies and hunts the horrors of the darkness
• Everyman: Just an ordinary person, facing extraordinary circumstances
• Grave Robber: An opportunist who robs burial sites for profit
• Gypsy: A restless wanderer who lives by their wits
• Libertine: A social adventurer who flouts conventional morality
• Mad Scientist: An individual who would master the laws of nature, at any price
• Magician: One who works wonders with strange incantations, bizarre ceremonies, enchanted
talismans, and secret pacts
• True Innocent: A person of inspiring virtue
Optional: Let me know if you really want to play as a Vampyre or a Werewolf, and I'll try to work things out.

[Alternate method, not in the handbook, which I used for my own character: Determine your Basic Abilities first, then choose a character class as appropriate.]

You may wish to look over each class to learn about its special characteristics. Although "everyman" may seem dull, it does allow you to increase in level more quickly, and it does allow you to select almost any reasonable profession.

STEP THREE: BACKGROUND. Come up with your character's back story, limited only by your imagination. Again, you may wish to delay this step until you have a better idea of your character.

STEP FOUR: PERVERSITY. To what extent does your character follow social norms? To what extent does your character pursue wickedness for its own sake? How well are you able to understand the unnatural? How close are you to insanity?
[This is the closest thing to Call of Cthulhu "Sanity" in this game, although the numbers go the other way!]

Method One: Select a Perversity level of your choice from 3 to 18. (Lower or higher levels would be very rare in human beings.) Lower than 6 is Good, Higher than 15 is Evil. A typical person is 9. True Innocents are never higher than 6, Libertines are never lower than 12.

Method Two: Roll 3d6 to determine your level. Exception: True Innocents roll 1d6, Libertines roll 1d6+11.

STEP FIVE: PERSONALITY: What is your character like socially and emotionally? Again, you may wish to determine this later. It should be reasonably consistent with your other characteristics.

STEP SIX: APPEARANCE/MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTERISTIC: What does your character look like? What does she normally wear? In particular, what is the one thing most people would first notice about him? This might be relatively minor ("always carries an umbrella") or very important ("missing right arm.")

STEP SEVEN: BASIC ABILITIES. These numbers will determine your success at various activities, generally by rolling a d20 against your level, with various adjustments as appropriate. Lower than your Ability level is a success, equal or higher is a failure. If any Basic Ability falls below 3, the character is incapacitated, at least temporarily. If any Basic Ability reaches zero, the character is dead or permanently insane. (Neither fate necessarily removes you from the game!)

The Basic Abilities: Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution

Method One: All Basic Abilities begin at 9, with adjustments based on class.

Method Two: Roll 3d6 for each Basic Ability, then make adjustments based on class.
◦ Bandit: Dexterity +2
◦ Demon Hunter: Dexterity +2
◦ Everyman: +2 to any desired Ability
◦ Grave Robber: +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity, +1 Constitution, -1 Charisma
◦ Gypsy: +2 Wisdom
◦ Libertine: +2 Charisma
◦ Mad Scientist: +2 Intelligence
◦ Magician: +2 Wisdom
◦ True Innocent: +2 Charisma
STEP EIGHT: SPECIAL ABILITIES AND WEAKNESSES: These are determined by your class. See the appropriate section in the handbook (or, if you prefer, I can tell you what they are for your class.)

STEP NINE: HIT POINTS AND DAMAGE BONUS: Determined by your class. Again, see the handbook or I can tell you what the numbers are. (First level characters will get the maximum number of hits points rather than roll the die.)

STEP TEN: ASSETS AND AFFLICTIONS: Choose as many of these as you like, or none if you prefer. The only proviso is that the number of Assets must be equal to the number of Afflictions. Each class description has a list of recommended Assets and Afflictions, but feel free to choose any that seem appropriate to you, or even create your own, within reason.

STEP ELEVEN: WEALTH AND EQUIPMENT CARRIED: We won't deal with money to a great extent, so I'd suggest just describing your character as poor, middle class, wealthy, or whatever is appropriate. Each character class has a list of typical equipment carried. I won't quibble over carrying ordinary objects which are appropriate. (If you go exploring an abandoned house in the middle of the night, I won't object if you announce that you are using a flint to light a candle. If you carry a pistol into a formal ball, however, you better convince me you have a good reason.)

STEP TWELVE: SPEED AND ARMOR CLASS. Speed starts at 9, unless you are a Bandit Footpad, which starts at 10. Heavy clothing or equipment may reduce your speed. Armor starts at zero. Heavy clothing may increase it.

STEP THIRTEEN: NAME. This should be self-explanatory.

(I don't think we will need to deal with "forbidden topics" or "safe words.")

Not listed in the handbook directly, but important during character generation, are certain things which must be determined for certain classes. Magicians must choose spells, Mad Scientists must choose an Invention or a Monstrous Servant, and so on. We'll deal with these as they come up.

Go to it!
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Dramatis Personae: Character Generation

Post by maelstrom »

Here we go made a start on my char, not quite finished yet and Not what I was initially thinking of but he is what came to life.

NAME Duncan Budi Rachman.

CHARISMA: 8

INTELLIGENCE: 9

WISDOM: 17

STRENGTH: 10

DEXTERITY: 13

CONSTITUTION: 9
Gift to
PERVERSITY: 13

CHARACTER CLASS: Magician

BACKGROUND:
Born in Java to a British sailor and a Javanese mother. His Father, after contracting a mysterious fever whilst docked in java, was deemed too unwell and too high a risk to the rest of the ship to return on board. He was left in the care of the local medicine man and his daughter. He eventually recovered and after a lengthy courtship married the daughter and a son was born, Duncan.

Duncan spent much of his youth around the port of Jakarta with his Father and it soon became apparent that he had a gift for languages and often helped in translating between the Captains and sailors of the many nationalities that visited the port.

Unfortunately his mixed nationality made him a target for other youths and he found himself in many fights. After one particularly vicious fight, which resulted in upper portion of his left ear being bitten off, his father persuaded one of the local Silat guru’s to train Duncan. Eventually the other youths found Duncan was no longer such an easy target and the fights became fewer.

When not with his Farther Duncan spent his time with his Grandfather wandering the surrounding forest learning of herbs and roots and their uses as well as the animal and spirits that dwelt there. As the years passed his Grandfather was pleased to see that like himself Duncan was in tune with the ebb and flow of the spirit of the land and was able to tap into its power. Duncan began to spend all his time with his Grandfather learning more that just medicine and was Initiated into Javanese Magic and its mysteries.

1784 brought an influenza outbreak to Jakarta. Duncan’s Mother and farther both died in the initial outbreak and eventually so did his Grandfather. Before his Grandfathers death he told Duncan he had taught him as much as he could of the mysteries, but that he had not reached his full potential. Being a child of two worlds, both East and West, he needed to unite the two to ascend further.

As his final gift to Duncan his Grandfather drew him a magical sigil and told him to take the ash from his funeral pyre and mix it with the earth of Java and combine that with ink and have the sigil tattooed on his back, that way where he was he would have a connection to him and the spirits of Java.
He left Java shortly after and travelled to Europe, passing through Spain and France till he eventually arrived in London.

PERSONALITY: Calm and Intense.

APPEARANCE: 5‘ 8“ with a slight build, a fairly dark complexion with black hair. Missing upper left ear. Heavily tattooed.

MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTERISTIC: Very dark eyes verging on black. Most of left ear is missing after being bitten of in a fight.

SPECIAL ABILITIES Esoteric Knowledge (+1), Use Incantation, Perform Ceremony,
Create Talismans, Employ Pact

WEAKNESSES: (Magical Implement) Kris Dagger,
(Power Object) Extensive back tattoo, the ink imbued with ash from the cremated bones of his Grandfather.

HIT POINTS: 3+4

DAMAGE BONUS: +1

ASSETS Gift for languages

AFFLICTIONS Creepy Presence

MAGICIAN STARTING SPELLS
level 0
Incantations:
Light
daze

level 1
Incantations:
Detect magic

Ceremonies:
Conjure Familiar
Consecrate Object

Pacts:
Sanctuary (Blessing of Barong, lion like king of spirts. price: cannot eat the flesh of any animal for a day afterwards)

SPEED: 9

WEALTH: 900p

EQUIPMENT

ARMOR CLASS: none

If there is anyting that really wont fit just let me know and I will make any alterations.
Last edited by maelstrom on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Looks great. Very imaginative. You just need to look through the list of Spells from which you can select and choose those you like. You get two level Zero Spells, and two level One Spell, of any class (Incantations, Ceremonies, Talismans, or Pacts.)
About Incantations
• Magical Implement required to cast.
• Suffer Nonlethal Damage equal to spell's Level.
About Magical Ceremonies
• A particular Ceremony can only be cast once a day.
• Can take effect at a distance, if the Magician has an item belonging to the subject.
• Victims of hostile Ceremonial magic always get a Save to completely avoid the effect. If they
make the save they are immune to all further attempts by the Magician to use the Ceremony
against them.
• * Indicates that an effect that can be held “in reserve” until the Magician wants it to happen,
or a specified triggering event occurs. Only one spell can be held in reserve at a time.
About Talismans
• Constant effect for the intended possessor of Talisman.
• Discharged if touched by anyone other than Magician and intended possessor.
• No more than 1 Talisman can be active at a time.
• Talismans last 365 days before needing to be recharged.
About Pacts
• The list is not exhaustive, since Spirit beings can potentially grant Pacts that replicate any of
their Preternatural Powers, but represents suggested Pacts the Magician might possibly know
at First Level, or gain by an increase in Levels.
• The terms of each Pact must be defined, using the guidelines given in the Magician class
description, and bearing in mind the character of the entity that fulfills the Pact.
• A particular Pact may only be activated once a day
0 Level Magician Spells
0 LEVEL INCANTATIONS
Cast Freely.
Beguile
Close Wounds
Create Flame
Ghost Lights
Daze
Ghost Sound
Indistinct Phantasmagoria
Know Direction
Light
Mending
Whispered Message
Nightvision
Open/Close
Prestidigitation
Purify Food and Drink
Putrefy Food and Drink
Sorcerer's Hand
0 LEVEL CEREMONIES
No cost, 10 minutes to perform.
Arcane Mark
Banish Vermin
Beguile*
Enhanced Hearing
Enhanced Sense of Smell
Enhanced Sense of Taste
Enhanced Sense of Touch
Enhanced Vision
False Magical Aura
Feather Fall*
Ghost Sound
Mending
Purify Food and Drink*
Putrefy Food and Drink
Steal Milk
Whispered Message
0 LEVEL TALISMANS
Require 1p of materials, 10 minutes to charge.
Close Wounds
Know Direction
Prestidigitation
0 LEVEL PACTS
Beguile
Close Wounds
Create Water
Indistinct Phantasmagoria
Light
Mending
Purify Food and Drink
Putrefy Food and Drink
st LEVEL INCANTATIONS
Suffer 1 point of Nonlethal Damage per use.
Banish Spirit
Banish Vermin
Bind Spirit
Burning Hands
Calm Animals
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Comprehend Language
Create Water
Detect Evil
Detect Illusion
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Detect Secret Doors
Detect Undead
Discover Dead
Disguise Self
Elf Stroke
Enhanced Hearing
Enhanced Sense of Smell
Enhanced Sense of Taste
Enhanced Sense of Touch
Enhanced Vision
Enlarge Person
Erase
Feather Fall
Hold Portal
Hypnotism
Jump
Obscuring Mist
Pass Without Trace
Phantasmagoria I
Protection From Evil
Protection From Serpents
Read Magic
Remove Fear
Shield
Shocking Grasp
Shower of Stones
Shrink Person
Spider Climb
Steal Milk
Unseen Servant
Ventriloquism
1st LEVEL CEREMONIES
Require 10p worth of materials, 30 minutes to perform.
Bewitch Cattle
Cause Light Wounds
Charm Person*
Conjure Familiar
Conjure Monster I
Consecrate Object
Cure Light Wounds
Empowered Weapon
Fertility
Gambler's Curse
Gambler's Luck
Identify*
Magic Cipher
Mesmeric Healing
Protection From Serpents
Summon Spirit I
Unseen Servant
173 Back to Table of Contents
CHAPTER 7: PRETERNATURAL EFFECTS
st LEVEL TALISMANS
Require 100p, or the body parts of a Level 1 creature. 1 hour to charge.
Detect Evil
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Light
Nightvision
Purify Food and Drink (personal effect)
Sorcerer's Hand
st LEVEL PACTS
Banish Vermin
Cause Light Wounds
Conjure Familiar
Conjure Monster I
Cure Light Wounds
Darkness
Discover Dead
Enhanced Hearing
Enhanced Sense of Smell
Enhanced Sense of Taste
Enhanced Sense of Touch
Enhanced Vision
Enlarge Person
Fertility
Identify
Pass Without Trace
Phantasmagoria I
Protection From Evil
Resist Cold
Resist Fire
Sanctuary
Shield
Shower of Stones
Shrink Person
Sleep
Spider Climb
Steal Milk
Unseen Servant
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Here is my attempt at a character. I started out thinking a wicked libertine, but somewhere along the line Miss Elizabeth Carrow took over.

NAME: Elizabeth Carrow

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: Lucy Westenra and any other innocent young lady who happens to become the focus of any Gothic villain.

CHARACTER CLASS: True innocent

ABILITY ADJUSTMENT: Charisma +2 (True Innocents tend to be attractive and sweet-natured.)
CHA: 11 (9+2) , INT:8 9, WIS: 8 , STR: 6 , DEX: 7, CON: 9

PERVERSITY: 3

PERSONALITY: Virtuous and kind to all creatures

APPEARANCE: Willowy favours the colour blue, almost white blonde curls

MOST MEMORABLE FEATURE: A disarming smile of pure innocense

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Resist Evil Spirits, Grace of Heaven, Inspiration of the Virtuous (+1), Redemption, Faith (+1)

WEAKNESSES: Fainting, The Misfortunes of Virtue

ASSET: Good singing voice, musical

AFFLICTION: Bad judge of character

HIT POINTS: 6

Grace Points: 2

DAMAGE BONUS: None

WEALTH: Middle class poor

ARMOUR CLASS: 0

EQUIPMENT: 1 set of modest clothing, predominantly blue with a lace trimmed bonnet of fashionable style. A painted locket bearing the likeness of her departed mother. A delicate silver ring, a family heirloom. A small volume of the testaments given to her by her father for her tenth birthday. A strange poetic letter from an undeclared admirer, filled with immoral double entendres, which she keeps in a small drawer beside her bed. It is a guilty secret that she keeps hidden.

BACKGROUND:
Alas when Elizabeth’s parents died in a most unfortunate accident, she found herself in reduced circumstances forced to live on the charity of an aunt.
A true innocent in the ways of the world, her sudden initiation to the ways of the city have left her in a state of confusion and despair. However her singing has brought her much attention, not all of it good, and her aunt assures her will benefit her greatly in her search for a good marriage. Unfortunately curiosity is a curse that she tries her best to control, but sometimes it gets the better of her. For example the strange poetic letter she keeps hidden from her Aunt, she has no idea who the author is, and knows she should throw the vile thing on the fire, but, there is something delicious in the idea of a secret admirer...

I hope she is right.
Last edited by Priest on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Excellent! We will definitely have an interesting mix of characters.

With two aboard feel free to make an opening response in Chapter the First at your convenience.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sorry for the delay in getting my character created. I was away on vacation, then had to recover and catch up after returning. I thought I might not have time until this weekend, but I can at least get started tonight.

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: Dr. Victor Frankenstein, Dr. Herbert West

CHARACTER CLASS: Mad Scientist

NAME: Dr. Henry North, Thirteenth Earl of Dunwich

BACKGROUND: Dr. Henry North is a relatively young, upper class man from East Anglia. Everyone he has ever loved has died, and this has fueled his obsession with conquering death. If he can keep people alive, or perhaps even bring back the deceased, he need never fear losing someone again. While he was studying medicine at Oxford, his parents were both stricken by a sudden illness. He inherited his father's lands, which included a dark and gloomy castle, as well as his title (Earl) and vast wealth. However, none of that makes up for his losses. The castle, though filled with servants, feels empty without his family. After he completed his studies and earned his degree, he used his inheritance to set up a laboratory in a castle tower, where he conducts his experiments, primarily aimed at postponing and reversing death.

Henry fell in love with the beautiful Julia Markham, the daughter of a nobleman whose lands border his own. She shared his fascination for science and wished to learn more, though no university would admit women. Henry taught her everything he knew, and she proved an excellent student, soaking up knowledge like a sponge. She also assisted in his experiments. As they worked and studied together, she developed affection for him, and she readily accepted when he proposed marriage. Unfortunately, she died in childbirth with their infant son, who also died in the process. Henry was stricken with grief, and he remained secluded in his castle, working feverishly on his experiments, which also helped him to take his mind off of his loss even as he desperately sought some way to reverse it. He remained undisturbed by the outside world until one night he received a strange visitor...

PERVERSITY: 7 (+1) 8
[dice]0[/dice]

PERSONALITY: Henry is generally melancholy, often wallowing alone in grief and self-pity. He is reluctant to get attached to other people for fear that he will lose them, but sometimes he cannot help himself. He is a rational man who believes that everything has a scientific explanation. While many people think him accursed, he is convinced that there is no such thing...mostly.

APPEARANCE AND MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTERISTIC: Henry is tall and gaunt. He normally wears expensive clothing, usually black. The first thing people notice about him are his eyes, which have a haunted look about them. Staring into them is like staring into the Abyss.

BASIC ABILITIES:
CHARISMA: 9
[dice]1[/dice]
INTELLIGENCE: 14 + 2 = 16
[dice]2[/dice]
WISDOM: 11
[dice]3[/dice]
STRENGTH: 6
[dice]4[/dice]
DEXTERITY: 10 + 1 = 11
[dice]5[/dice]
CONSTITUTION: 14
[dice]6[/dice]

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Academic Credentials, Mad Inventions, Monstrous Servants, Laboratory, Scientific Knowledge(+1)

WEAKNESSES: Attracts Angry Mobs, Incurable Madness (Bipolar disorder)

HIT POINTS: 24 +3 = 27

DAMAGE BONUS: 2

ASSETS: Fast Learner, Gift for Languages, Good Manners, Mechanical Genius, Profession (Doctor), Wealthy Family

AFFLICTIONS: Bad Reputation, Bad Throwing Arm, Emotional, Melancholy, Traumatic Memory (wife's death in childbirth), Unlucky at Love

WEALTH: 900p
[dice]7[/dice]

EQUIPMENT CARRIED: pistol, laboratory clothes, rugged clothes, obscure medical text, journal, pen and ink, diploma from Oxford University (Doctor of Medicine), locket with a portrait of Julia, black doctor's bag with medicine, medical equipment, and surgical tools, vials with various chemicals, cane, Mad Invention (Close Wounds), Mad Invention (Light)

The first Mad Invention is called the Cauteriser. It resembles a short rod that contains two compartments, each containing a chemical. When a switch is flicked on it, the barrier separating the compartments is moved aside, allowing them to mix. The resulting chemical reaction generates heat, and when the device is applied to a person's wounds, it will cauterize them. It has a rubber grip, allowing the user to hold it without it being too hot. It might be painful for the patient, but it is usually applied to someone who is already unconscious. The chemicals must be refilled once they are depleted to use it again.

The second Mad Invention is called the Illuminator. It is a thin tube that produces a beam of pure white light that is amplified by gemstones and small mirrors within the tube. A cap that screws onto the end of the tube allows the light to be concealed and revealed at will.

ARMOR CLASS: 0

Lesser Regenerator = cure light wounds 2
Force Projector = Elf Stroke 2
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Excellent! Two more steps.

You need to select some form of madness:
• The Player must specify what form of insanity the Mad Scientist suffers from. He can specify a
real-world disorder, such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or Bipolar Disorder, or create an
entirely new and flavorful form of Incurable Madness.
• Mad Scientists are often haunted by memories of deceased loved ones, are convinced they can
somehow “perfect” humanity, or are plagued by unhealthy obsessions
And select one Mad Invention OR one Monstrous Servant (not both) of level One:
1st Level Mad Inventions
Banish Vermin
Beguile
Daze
Close Wounds
Create Water
Enhanced Hearing
Enhanced Sense of Smell
Enhanced Sense of Taste
Enhanced Sense of Touch
Enhanced Vision
Feather Fall
Ghost Lights
Ghost Sound
Know Direction
Light
Mending
Whispered Message
Nightvision
Open/Close
Phantasmagoria I
Purify Food and Drink
Sorcerer's Hand
(Note that details are available in the handbook. Also, note that, despite the facts that these names often sound like magical spells, they all work by "science," and you should specify if they are devices, chemicals, or whatever.)

These beings can be first level Monstrous Servants (details in the Presenter's handbook.) Again, they are controlled/created by "science," not magic.
Albatross
Baboon
Brute
Cannibal
Degenerate
Domestic Cat
Feral Child
Fighting Dog
Hawk
Hunting Dog
Lapdog
Rat
Raven
Rooster
Vulture
Walking Skeleton
Wild Cat
Wild Dog
Thanks for playing!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I hadn't had enough time to complete my character last night, but he should be ready now. I also needed to add in Assets, Afflictions, and Equipment.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Very good! Looks great!
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

This is the character I'd created from reading the rulebook before joining this forum - if she won't fit in or is too similar to one of the others I don't mind making a new one.

NAME: Lila Davenport.

Basic abilities -

CHARISMA: 6 (now 8) (low) currently 9 at fourth level

INTELLIGENCE: 11 (slightly above average)

WISDOM: 12 (ditto)

STRENGTH: 9 (average)

DEXTERITY: 16 (very high) - later adjusted to 18 (extremely high)

CONSTITUTION: 8 (below average)

PERVERSITY: 13 (above the norm but not evil) currently 11 at second level

I chose to be a Demon Hunter based on high dexterity and non-evil.

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: Mina Harker from Dracula.

CHARACTER CLASS: Demon Hunter

BACKGROUND: An heiress of a noble family, her world was shattered when the man she was engaged to marry was murdered by then turned into a vampyre, who then hunted her for her blood. In self defense she was forced to slay her former fiancee but was disinherited and outcast by her family as a result. Since then she has trained obsessively as a hunter of vampyres and other demons (high dexterity). Despite her professed hatred of the breed her experience with her fiancee, whose vampyric advances she almost gave in to (low charisma), have left her also strangely, almost fatalistically, drawn and sometimes even attracted to vampyres (above average perversity) which is a source of emotional conflict.

PERVERSITY: As above, basically Good.

PERSONALITY: Melancholy, reserved, anxious, conflicted.

APPEARANCE: Tallish, well-built, reddish hair kept on the short side, wears functional clothing.

MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTERISTIC: A haunted expression.

BASIC ABILITIES: As above.

SPECIAL ABILITIES: determined by Demon Hunter Class - Danger Bonus, Demonology, Feat of Strength or Dexterity, Resist Preternatural Effects, Tracking.

WEAKNESSES: Nemesis, Obsession.

HIT POINTS: from 1-8 for the Class - 2 (so disappointingly easy to kill but I see that can improve as she gains levels) currently 30 at fourth level

DAMAGE BONUS: +3 at fourth level

ASSETS AND AFFLICTIONS: Assets - Beautiful, Expert Equestrian, Gift For Languages (both these last two I figure come from the noble upbringing), Naturally Skeptical. Afflictions - Bad Reputation, Melancholy, Traumatic Memory, Unlucky at Love.

WEALTH: moderate - though no longer an heiress she is secretly being financially aided by a sympathetic wealthy uncle and has savings enough to cover most expenses.

EQUIPMENT: 2 weapons - silver dagger and stake & mallet of ash wood, a haversack, 1 set of somber clothes, a book on Demonology, a meal of dried bread and meat, a lantern with oil, a vial of holy water.

SPEED: default 9.

ARMOR CLASS: 1 for wearing thick clothing.

#

CHANGES AT LEVEL 2:

Perversity reduced to 11

Hit Points increased to 11

New weapon: iron dagger, also has acquired a pistol.

Charisma increased to 7 at Level 2.

CHANGES AT LEVEL 3

Charisma increased to 8

Hit Points increased to 24

Damage Bonus is +2

Has acquired a blessed dagger.

Has lost pistol.

Has acquired a Knot of Winds.

Has acquired 1 Faith point.

Has used Knot of Winds.

Has acquired some garlic bulbs.

Has acquired a throwing disc weapon.

Has lost disc weapon and blessed dagger.

CHANGES AT LEVEL 4

Hit Points addition[dice]0[/dice]

Charisma increased to 9

Damage Bonus is +3
Last edited by Rooter on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 am, edited 9 times in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Perfect! This will work very well.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Monstrous Servant (Brute, 2nd level)

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: Igor

CHARACTER CLASS: Everyman (Valet)

NAME: Ivan of Novgorod

BACKGROUND: Ivan is a poor Russian immigrant who has struggled to find acceptance after arriving in London. After a succession of odd jobs which did not pay well, mostly involving manual labor, Ivan applied for a position advertised by Dr. Henry North for a valet and assistant. Dr. North took him on, paying him well and treating him with respect, and in return he serves Dr. North loyally. Ivan has family back in Novgorod, who he hopes to bring to London to join him once he has earned enough money to be able to afford their passage.

PERVERSITY: 11

PERSONALITY: Ivan is courageous, relying on his physical strength and toughness to see him through whatever challenges he faces. He is fiercely loyal to those who treat him decently, but he gets angry when he is belittled. Few people are foolish enough to do that to Ivan considering his massive size, at least not to his face. He knows he is not very bright, but he tries to make up for it by working diligently.

APPEARANCE AND MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTERISTIC: Ivan is very tall and muscular, with an imposing presence. The most obvious feature he has is a scar on his left cheek.

BASIC ABILITIES:
CHARISMA: 9
INTELLIGENCE: 7
WISDOM: 9
STRENGTH: 16
DEXTERITY: 9
CONSTITUTION: 11

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Feat of Strength (+3 to Strength once per day, replaces Inheritance), Profession(Valet) (+1), Avocation(Guard) (+1), Affection(Dr. Henry North) (+1), Social Contacts(servants)

WEAKNESSES: Phobia(spiders) (-1), Prejudice(Finns)

HIT POINTS:
[dice]0[/dice]

DAMAGE BONUS: 1

ASSETS: Brave, Intimidating. Strong

AFFLICTIONS: Aggressive, Disfigured, Hunchbacked

WEALTH: Poor

EQUIPMENT CARRIED: Sword cane, black suit,

ARMOR CLASS: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Excellent! Thanks for taking such great care with that.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

I've done some stats for Ines, with a few questions Victoria will need to weigh in on. I can't recall off the top of my head what level everyone's reached, or whether I should start at 1st regardless.

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: Essentially, "Beautiful girl whom dark forces are wont to imperil, because that's the height of the Gothic, but without stepping too much on Elizabeth Carrow's toes."

CLASS: Gypsy; Level 4.

BACKGROUND: Ines is the daughter of a functionary from the Spanish diplomatic mission to the British Crown (whose name I haven't come up with yet, and is well out of Ines's life anyway) and his Gitana mistress Lucia - she was born in Spain, and brought to England with her parents. Spain's support for the American Revolutionaries caused many among the mission to return to Spain - among them was Ines's father, who knowing that he had to establish a new niche for himself quickly, decided that a Gypsy mistress and daughter would be disadvantageous, and abandoned Lucia and Ines without looking back - worse was the fact that Lucia had taken ill with consumption, and died not long after, leaving Ines alone.

She didn't want to find herself in an orphanage or similar institution, so for the last ten years - by now, she'd be in her early twenties - she's been making her way as she can, moving from city to city. She hasn't been able to join any of England's Gypsy bands, as her Spanish side is a black mark even to them. The only reliable livings available to a girl like her would be entertainment, petty crime, and whoring - she's managed to avoid the latter, thankfully, and is a good enough singer and dancer to benefit from the former - the middle one, well, happens sometimes. As a Gitana, she's not blind to the presence of weirder things in the world, and will be intrigued by those who know of them too.

PERVERSITY: 13.

PERSONALITY: Watchful - alternates between extravagently extrovert when she's performing, and unobtrisive otherwise, with little in between - a streak of honour that might be surprising to see in someone like her.

APPEARANCE: Middle height, lithe build but with good muscles, dark eyes. Usually wears loose dresses, not entirely scandalous, but certainly immodest for polite society. Should anyone see her body (for shame!), they will notice a variety of small marks and scars.
MOST MEMORABLE FEATURE: Shoulder-length black curly hair.

BASIC ABILITIES (9's Method):
Charisma 10 (raised at 2nd level), Intelligence 9, Wisdom 11 (9+2), Strength 9, Dexterity 11 (raised at 3rd and 4th levels), Constitution 9.

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Animal Husbandry +1 (the handbook says I can start the game with a small trained animal, but it doesn't feel like Ines would).
Boxing +1.
Entertainment +1 (Song, Dance, Legerdemain).
Gypsy Curse (once per Affair).
Sleight of Hand +1.

WEAKNESSES:
Desired by the Dead.
Social Descrimination.

HIT POINTS AND DAMAGE BONUS:
Hit Points: 9 (as of 4th level).
Damage Bonus: 2

ASSETS AND AFFLICTIONS:
Assets: Beautiful, Dancing Ability, Fast.
Afflictions: Afraid of Dogs (my usual interaction with dogs is when someone sets them on me), Dull (representing very little education), Horrible Manners (not deliberately).

WEALTH AND EQUIPMENT:
Lower class. A couple of changes of dress. A variety of cheap jewellery, castanets, brass knuckles (from Elizabeth Carrow's perspective, two oddly shaped pieces of jewelley each consisting of four plain rings joined by a ridged bar :) ). Small knife, little use as a weapon. Thick woolen shawl.

SPEED AND ARMOUR CLASS:
Speed: 9.
AC: 0 (thin clothing, no whalebone).
Last edited by SunlessNick on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Looks good.

I would think Entertainment could be both Singing and Dancing, even other stuff (Sleight of Hand, Storytelling, Fortune Telling, etc.)

Each "affair" would be when there's a lapse of time between sections (one should come up soon!)

Dancing as an Asset is fine (+3 to Dexterity when dancing.)

I would think Dancing skill would eliminate any Speed deficit for loose clothing.

Welcome aboard!
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Thankyou. Am I starting at first level, or where the others have reached?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Thankyou. Am I starting at first level, or where the others have reached?
For right now let's stick to first, but I am planning a change in time and location which will quickly advance you.

I have given you a chance to introduce yourself in the current thread,
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ok. I've edited my stats post to reflect your answers. And thanks.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Idea for a new character. Presently at first level, and I haven't come up with a picture yet.

CAPTAIN WILLIAM PALLISER

CHARACTER INSPIRATION: I liked the idea of us being mind/body/spirit trio.

CLASS: Swashbuckler (A mashup of Libertine and Everyman/Soldier).

BACKGROUND: Born in 1754; from the lowest echelon of the upper classes (the second son of a Baronet). William was at first jealous of his older brother James for being heir to the family's only supply of nobility - the life of a military officer was to get him out of the way - however he found the life suited him and never looked back. He spent the 1780's (most of the time of Book One of the campaign) fighting in India - later he took part in the French Revolutionary Wars. Nearing fifty years of age, he suspects his days on the battlefield may be over, and is at a something of a loss as to what else to be.

PERVERSITY: 16 (since he's "half a Libertine" I rolled it on 2D6+6)

PERSONALITY: William has forgotten how to see the world save in terms of danger - doctors of later centuries may understand this in a way that is beyond the ken of those in the Bloody Age, but he expects trouble, and if he doesn't find it is as likely as not to make or become it. In quiet times, he is dissolute and often lecherous, but when trouble threatens, his old resolve reasserts itself.

APPEARANCE: Strongly built, though age has sapped some of his strength. His hair is still a rich, dark brown - but his eyes are bloodshot.

MOST MEMORABLE FEATURE: He still dresses with the neatness that would be expected of an army captain.

BASIC ABILITIES (rolled):
Charisma 11 14, Intelligence 9, Wisdom 10 8, Strength 12, Dexterity 12, Constitution 11.

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
Profession +1 (Soldier; from Everyman): Can automatically succeed in routine tasks, and a Dexterity +1 roll for dangerous ones.
Affection +1 (from Everyman): While William once resentedhis brother James, now he dearly loves him.
Social Contacts (from Everyman): Up to Charisma; mostly former officers, and his brother James.
Duelling +1/+3 (from Libertine).
Seduction +1 (from Libertine).

WEAKNESSES:
Prejudice (from Everyman): William has nothing against the French or the Indians, who were fighting for their homes and people - but following their rebellion, the Irish are exposed as nothing but base traitors.
Fascinated by Innocence (from Libertine): Will try to tempt innocents in peacetime, but leap to their defence when danger threatens.

HIT POINTS AND DAMAGE BONUS:
Hit Points: 11.
Damage Bonus: +1.

ASSETS AND AFFLICTIONS:
Expert Equestrian.
Good Shot.

Bad Liar: Unlike the average Libertine.
Impatient.

WEALTH AND EQUIPMENT:
Upper class.

SPEED AND ARMOUR CLASS:
Speed: 9
AC: 0
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Very nicely thought-out character. Thanks!

Return to “Ghastly Affair”