Page 1 of 1

The Salon: Out of Character Conversation

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Feel free to discuss anything out of character here.

Character generation thread now open.

Opening chapter posted.

Re: The Salon: Out of Character Conversation

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 pm
by DrPeterson
I'll try to get my character fleshed out this week. Things are a bit hectic this week as the government is finally opening a few official camps.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:33 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Take your time. I myself will be gone from late on the evening of July 18, then back from late on the evening of July 23 until early on the morning of July 24th, then away again until the afternoon of July 27th, then I should around for ten or eleven days. (Yes, I work weird days and hours.) This is all Eastern time here in the USA.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:12 pm
by maelstrom
I will be away from Sunday 31st till Aug 5th. Camping in the Lake district, so my internet access will be fairly limited. feel free to move Duncan on as you see if needed.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Very good. Have a good time!

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I have opened the second chapter.

Let me assure DrPeterson and all other potential players that this does not preclude them from joining in. Edits will be made to the text as necessary.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 am
by Rooter
Hi Victoria, and hi everyone else from a first-timer, I posted my character in the creation thread and providing everything is okay will begin catching up later today.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Excellent!

I would suggest that you make some sort of response to Chapter the First, then I have something in mind to bring you into Chapter the Second.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 pm
by Rooter
Great, will do. And thanks again for the introduction. Hoping not to embarrass myself.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:16 pm
by Rooter
Had to do a quick edit of that last post in chapter two when I realized I'd slipped into past tense instead of present. Sorry! Please tell me if I make any mistakes.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:57 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Don't worry about it. Past tense will work fine also.

You're doing a great job!

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:09 pm
by DrPeterson
Sorry about vanishing. Refugee situation is a bit more demanding than I anticipated. I'll pick up next week if that's still possible.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:12 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
DrPeterson wrote:Sorry about vanishing. Refugee situation is a bit more demanding than I anticipated. I'll pick up next week if that's still possible.

Please feel free to join in at any time.

Thank you for all your good work.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm
by Rooter
I really appreciate your guidance Victoria. Hopefully I managed to get my first dice roll right but I see in other posts that the roll mentions which attribute it's checking against, but I can't figure out how to include this. Sorry.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:10 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:I really appreciate your guidance Victoria. Hopefully I managed to get my first dice roll right but I see in other posts that the roll mentions which attribute it's checking against, but I can't figure out how to include this. Sorry.
Not to worry. That could just be added as a comment within spoilers.

This is all just for fun, so no problem!

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:10 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Just a note to say that I will be away from the computer for a couple of days.

I would also like to mention the fact that everyone is doing a wonderful job of roleplaying, and that this is the most fun I have had in a long time.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:20 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you, and thank you for running it. I'm really enjoying it too.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 pm
by Rooter
Likewise.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:58 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Thank you for the kind words.

If DrPeterson, and/or Qman, or any others who have expressed interest wish to join in at any time, I will be happy to arrange matters to allow them to participate.

(This post edited to make allowances for a change in the time line of events.)

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:19 pm
by maelstrom
Hi guys, I'm back after a slightly extended trip.
Looks like things are moving along very nicely. I will have a read and a catch up with events and should hopefully have some time to post tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:29 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Welcome back!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:31 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I got a nice message from the creator of this system when I made a comment about it on the website where it is found.
. I’ve checked out your game, and I’m delighted with how you are running it. I’m especially happy to see Ghastly Affair so well adapted to Play-by-post. Your game is an exciting read, and I’m definitely keeping up with it. Kudos to you and your players!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:59 pm
by Rooter
Yay!

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
You can listen to what Miss Carrow's song would have sounded like here:

https://archive.org/details/PlaisirDamo ... ouriLyrics

(Click on number Ten)

A different version, mostly in English, with different lyrics:

https://archive.org/details/JoanBaez-PlaisirDamour_970

A music video of the song, with a man singing, and the lyrics translated (sometimes a little awkwardly, to judge by the English) into multiple languages via subtitles:

https://archive.org/details/PlaisirDamour

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:20 pm
by Rooter
Very nice. And very inspiring. Thank you.

I know this is probably a bit of a cliche but I've begun toying with writing a story about my character, Lila Davenport. Here's a bit of the rough WIP so far:

[REDACTED]

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:26 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
This is really good. Great sensory detail, excellent psychological depth. Good job!

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:19 pm
by Rooter
You are very kind. I only have 2.5k words so far and no real plan but I see a potential novel and hope something comes of it.

I can't thank you enough for the positive effect you've had on my writing. Playing Lila has forced me inside her head and for the first time I'm thinking in terms of a character I want to write about rather than genre or plot. I'm interested in what makes Lila tick as a person.

Anyway, thank you for the inspiration and I'm really enjoying your game.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm
by maelstrom
Excellent work. I hope you keep it up and I will look forward to reading more.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 am
by Priest
I totaly agree. I find myself amongst role players and thinkers of the highest calibre :D

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:12 pm
by Rooter
Thank you both, very much appreciated.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:30 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I might mention that our own Wruter has also just won, by a wide margin, a 75-word writing challenge held at the SFF Chronicles website.

The votes:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/565083/

The story is the sixth one down here:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/564742/

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that was very good! I also like writing background stories for some of my characters, when I have time (which is rare).

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:48 pm
by Rooter
Thank you Mr. Handy, and I hope you find more time to have fun with your stories. And Victoria, you're making me blush!

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:45 pm
by Rooter
Strange, I included some text in my earlier post with the dice roll but when I checked back just now the text had gone. It might just be the dementia setting in unless it was deleted because I did something wrong? Anyhow I managed to duplicate what I'd written before.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:36 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:Strange, I included some text in my earlier post with the dice roll but when I checked back just now the text had gone. It might just be the dementia setting in unless it was deleted because I did something wrong? Anyhow I managed to duplicate what I'd written before.

I think I may have messed it up while I was trying to edit my own post. I had no idea that I could edit someone else's post. I'll have to watch out for that.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, all Keepers can edit any posts in their boards. I accidentally did something like that once, only worse. I was trying to reply to a player in my game's character sheet that he had just posted while was extremely sleep-deprived, and I must have hit Edit instead of Quote. I ended up erasing the whole thing. Fortunately, we were able to reconstruct it.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:53 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad Wruter was able to save that post despite my goof.

For those who might be interested, the printed version of the Player's Handbook for Ghastly Affair is now available as print-on-demand.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghastly-Affair-P ... 1535235063

CreateSpace:

https://www.createspace.com/6416247

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:53 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away from the computer for three days, so please feel free to continue engaging in conversation, sending each other private messages, and any reasonable actions for your characters.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 pm
by maelstrom
Sorry guys having severe laptop issues at the minute. Hopefully will be sorted by the weekend. I will make a breif post for now.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:27 am
by maelstrom
Problem with my laptop not solved as easily as I hoped. Will have to go a bit frankenstein and try surgery :o . I will just have to cope as best I can with my phone for now.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:22 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
maelstrom wrote:Problem with my laptop not solved as easily as I hoped. Will have to go a bit frankenstein and try surgery :o . I will just have to cope as best I can with my phone for now.

I am very sorry to hear that. Good luck with that.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:10 pm
by Rooter
Hope you manage to sort out the laptop.

Really enjoying the game, Victoria and everyone. Thanks for having me.

Well, I wrote the opening 18k words of a novel about Lila in just over a week before my brain crashed and nothing since. (This is normal for me.) I'm afraid it's very much a pulp romantic horror story but if nothing else it's been a great exercise in character development. Rather than abandon it I'm going to tidy up and post what there is here in bits, maybe just for archival purposes but maybe it will shake something loose and I'll find a way to continue. This carries on from the first bit of the beginning posted previously.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
This is quite compelling. Great atmosphere, good building of suspense, fine sensory appeal. Good job!

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm
by maelstrom
I will second that. Excellent work, I will look forward to your next installment.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm
by Rooter
Thanks so much both of you, I'm glad you don't mind me sticking this stuff up here, I'd probably delete it otherwise.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy
I agree, it's very good. I look forward to reading more. It's just as well that you post it a little at a time, as I probably wouldn't have time to read it all at once anyway.

This site also has a fiction section here, but it hasn't been used much in a while.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:52 pm
by Rooter
Thanks Mr. Handy! I did see the fiction section. Maybe once the complete first part (about 10k words) is tidied up I'll post it there.

This is the end of the introductory chapter of the draft. Sorry if it gets a bit hairy. By the way Victoria (if you read this) if any of this contradicts anything you had planned for the game please feel free to ignore it as 'alternate universe'. And thanks again.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wow. That was powerful. Tastefully erotic, very emotional.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 pm
by Rooter
I am very grateful for the encouragement you've given me Victoria. Your opinion means a lot to me, I admire your writing and commentary hugely (to anyone else reading this I know of Victoria's wonderful work from another site not just the game). I am now determined to finish the book. I'll tidy up the first section, posting here as I go along while I try to figure out how to continue.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:46 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Nicely done. A good contrast to the last section. You allow us to see some strong characterizations. The setting is as vivid as always.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:51 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away from the computer again for three days. Since we are at a tense and dangerous junction, you may wish to discuss the situation with your fellow players via private messages and decide on a group plan of action.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy
I didn't have a chance to post between the time Lila went for the door and it actually opened. Can I have my pistol already drawn?

I think our best bet is for Rachman to try to use Daze on Violette. If that works, the rest of us will have a free turn to act while she is stunned.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:29 am
by maelstrom
Well we are certainly not going to hand over Elizabeth. So if Henry has his pistol to hand then yes I think casting daze and rushing her us our best option. With Duncans charisma and his unsettling presence talking her down would not be a good option.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:30 am
by Priest
At this point Elizabeth may faint again (it's what she does :) ). So I pray that you brave gentlemen and Lila protect me in my time of need.
Of course the act of fainting may provide a needed diversion?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:47 am
by Rooter
Ah, great ideas. I was expecting Doctor North to be the first to leap to Elizabeth's defense, but if she faints would he have to catch her? And if Rachman's spell fails ... my only idea was using the manuscript as leverage but now I see your point that talking might not work.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
That's a good point. Elizabeth might not faint, depending on the roll, but it might be a good distraction to pretend to even if she succeeds. Even if I don't have the pistol in my hand, I'm still holding my cane and should be close enough to use it.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:42 am
by Priest
I cannot see why Elizabeth might faint, but she could pretend too. She could step back from the doorway as she falls and shout "Antoine!", maybe the mention of her brother's name might help the distraction?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:36 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I am back, so you may proceed with your plans.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:41 pm
by Rooter
[REDACTED]

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Great scene. Good metaphor for London as an animal with fleas. GREAT ending. Looking forward to more.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:28 pm
by Rooter
Thank you once again for all the encouragement you give me. I'm still trying to figure out how to tackle the second half of the book but revising and getting the opening out in bits like this is really helping me get a handle on things. And I hope you're enjoying the game as much as I am.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Very powerful emotions here. I quite like the realism of the supernatural events. The notion that Richard is fighting off his vampiric tendencies with a large amount of alcohol is an interesting one, and makes the addictive nature of it seem very real.

And, yes, I am having a blast with the game.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:41 pm
by Rooter
Ah, you're brilliant! I knew there was something lacking from the scene but couldn't think what it was, then your mention of him using the alcohol for that purpose (a detail I'd barely considered) brought it to me straight away and I've added the paragraph -

At that moment she also noticed a small furred shape lying on the floor next to him. Peering down in the moonlight Lila realized with a sickened jolt that it was the carcass of an animal, possibly a stoat or a weasel; one that was macerated and shrivelled almost beyond recognition, as though its innards had been completely drained.

Which brings out what you said in a much more visceral way. Thank you!

[REDACTED]

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:24 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Very good. I very much like the conflicted emotions that Richard is experiencing.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:49 pm
by Rooter
Thank you. I keep wanting to apologize for how pulpy it is because I know you're a far more refined writer than I am. Anyway, the direction of the book finally clicked in my brain last night and I'm still determined to do a complete draft and take it from there.

PS regarding current events in the game, if Lila dies I will never forgive you! (Joking.)

[REDACTED]

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Good stuff. Not pulpy at all, but a very good dark fantasy. Vixen is a fine character, and the ending is great.

(I have no intention of killing off any of the characters in the game, unless one gets into very, very bad trouble, but even so resurrection is always possible.)

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:10 pm
by Rooter
Thank you. Well, this is the last part of the opening section of the draft and I'll leave off the tidying and posting here with this in order to focus on starting writing again. Let me say again how grateful I am for all your comments and if I do finish the book it will be in no small part due to the encouragement and inspiration you've given me.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Very good. Another fine character created. Good sense of place, too.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm
by Rooter
Bit of a howler not one of us getting the roll for the dreams. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:Bit of a howler not one of us getting the roll for the dreams. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Yep, that didn't quite go the way I expected. But this game is supposed to surprise me as much as anybody else.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:59 pm
by Rooter
Victoria I am mortified to discover I've been using the wrong gender fiancee through the entire draft and I apologize for my stupidity. I think I'm going to quit writing because I'm clearly too dumb.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:Victoria I am mortified to discover I've been using the wrong gender fiancee through the entire draft and I apologize for my stupidity. I think I'm going to quit writing because I'm clearly too dumb.
Don't be silly. That's a trivial matter, one that can be corrected during the revision process. (Obviously you did catch it!) Keep going! You've got the heart and soul of a writer.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am
by Rooter
You're right of course and thank you, your words are a great comfort to me.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:30 pm
by Rooter
Very exciting Victoria!

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Thanks.

Once again I will be away from the computer, this time for four days, so carry on.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:06 pm
by maelstrom
Great game, Victoria. enjoying this alot.
Really wasnt quite sure which way the dagger was going to go untill I posted.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:55 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Our game wins praise from the creator of the system:

https://engineoforacles.wordpress.com/2 ... ctual-play

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:28 am
by maelstrom
Congratulations Victoria, one and all. :D :D

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away for another week. Can't wait to get back!

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:08 am
by Rooter
Can't wait to have you back!

I have to confess to being a bit stumped as to what action to take here apart from attacking the beast and hoping to knock it unconscious or something, unless Rachman has another spell up his sleeve. Maybe if Elizabeth arrives she can do something?

Also I really should have included a pistol in my list of equipment...

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 pm
by maelstrom
Im afraid to say im in the same boat. Im really not sure what to try next, as we dont want to kill the wolf. Lets hope one of our other companions has some cunning plan.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:12 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
The best laid plans of mice and me . . .

So somebody got sick at work and here I am, working 1 pm to 7 am. That should give me time to come up with something.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:12 am
by maelstrom
Evil Shewolf that you are. :evil: . But we're not going down without a fight. :D

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:17 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
maelstrom wrote:Evil Shewolf that you are. :evil: . But we're not going down without a fight. :D
I did back you into a corner, didn't I? But that was an excellent post you made, and deserves to be rewarded.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:11 am
by Rooter
Whew, yes, quite a surprise from maelstrom there. Thanks for the pistol Mr Handy. Victoria, my sympathies (and to the sick person of course).

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome!

I can empathize about that situation. I was just out sick this past week, and it probably wasn't pleasant for my co-worker who had to fill in for me. Then I'll have to catch up on things after returning, which will also be unpleasant.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:07 pm
by Rooter
I should have tried to catch the fox myself. I keep thinking too realistically.

In other news I'm still plugging away bit by bit on the Lila novel. The (very) rough draft is maybe 75% done with just the final section, which is set in France, left to write. I'm thinking of taking a break from drafting for the rest of the month and editing what there is though, as it's a mess. Half of it is handwritten as I tend to switch to pen and paper to get going again if I'm stuck - which means a lot of typing afterward. Strangely enough, there's a fox running around in the book too.

Anyway, enjoying the game hugely (and receiving an education at the same time).

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:51 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Glad to hear that the novel is progressing!

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:12 pm
by Rooter
Thank you so much. I've decided to spend the next few weeks on revision then look at tackling the final section in November. I was actually thinking of putting the opening up for critique at SFFC but ... I'm scared.

I'll just put one more bit here, this is the scene I tidied up today. It's intended to show Lila doing what she does as a hunter.

[REDACTED]

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Vivid and exciting. Good stuff.

The folks at SFFChronicles are good critics, so I'd advise posting something there.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 pm
by Rooter
Thank you once again and I will take your advice.

I'm glad Priest got that second roll, it would have been a shame otherwise.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:04 pm
by maelstrom
Keep it up. I really am enjoying reading your tale, I would love to be able to write as well as this, it's not as easy as it looks.

Victoria. With regards to my familiar. If we are staying somewhere near I will leave him to look after himself in my room, window open of course.
It would be a last resort to bring him to a a high society soiree, that would be cruel and unusable and as you said draw unwanted attention.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 am
by Rooter
Your kind words are very much appreciated maelstrom, half the battle is overcoming self-doubt and such encouragement gives me a real boost.

I would love to be able to write as well as Victoria!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm
by maelstrom
Sorry guys real life seems to be playing havoc with my free time at the minute. My posting my be a little more erratic than usual for the next week or so. This game seems to tick along at a pretty good pace, so if at any time you need to push Duncan along to keep things moving,rather than let the game stall, please do so.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45 am
by Rooter
Good idea, Mr. Handy! I was stumped.

Victoria--I know you're probably tired of me thanking you by now but I just wanted to say how very right you were and how very glad I am that I took your advice and put the opening up for critique. Since you (and others) said it basically works as an opening (which was my biggest fear, that the scene itself would be deemed redundant) it's given me a lot more confidence knowing that any issues, such as the historical errors, are fixable.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you! And definitely keep writing. No first draft is perfect, which is why it's good to get feedback so we can correct these things.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:58 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away from the computer for several days, so have fun!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:00 pm
by Rooter
Nice tale maelstrom! The diversity of our characters - not to mention the great writing - is one of the things which makes this game so wonderful.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:51 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
What the Mozart aria sounds like. I think you can appreciate the difficulty.

https://vimeo.com/8401340

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:43 pm
by Rooter
Whew, yes.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:04 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away for a week or so. Carry on.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:37 pm
by Rooter
I think we missed a chance for a humorous interlude when one of us could have suggested to the general to test the love potion by trying it himself and then he falls in love with Doctor North or someone.

Or perhaps not.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:26 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away again for a few days.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 pm
by Rooter
I hope Victoria is okay, she usually leaves a message if she's away, unless the previous one still stands? Anyway I hope she's okay.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:43 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I'm fine. Just forgot to say I was away.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 pm
by Rooter
Sorry Victoria, nervous disposition. (And that blog post you wrote about water shortages where you live didn't help.)

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
We got our water tanks filled up, but then had to get a new water pump, and now the new one is noisy. Oh, well. At least the extreme drought has broken, with some very welcome rain showing up.

More importantly, I will be away for a week, as far as I know right now, so fee free to fill in the details of the wedding scene.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:39 pm
by Rooter
Glad to hear it, and I hope things continue to improve.

As always, I look forward to your return.

And whew, this game never fails to surprise and delight - great stuff, everyone.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:56 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
The best laid plans . . .

I got called back in to work for two nights, maybe three, so I'll be around a bit.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:53 pm
by Rooter
You don't have a computer at home? That's quite remarkable in this day and age.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
We have one at home, but, ironically, the only place where I have any time to do an y of this fun stuff is during my work nights. The one at home is almost entirely used for buying things we can't buy in person.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 pm
by Rooter
Ah, quite. I count myself lucky to have been able to switch to part-time earlier this year - it's why I've started taking writing more seriously.

I think the breaks have been good for pacing the game though - I'll be bereft when it ends.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:00 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
It seems that maelstrom has not posted anything in this forum for more than a month. I hope that this is not because of some bad news. Real life has a way of interfering with things like this, so I hope that it is doing so in a benign way.

If the situation continues, I will take control of Mister Rachman in what I hope will be a logical way.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:15 pm
by Rooter
Agreed and acknowledged.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 am
by Rooter
Well, this morning, after a month of delays due to real life I finally finished the draft of the Lila novel, just in time for Christmas. I still have a fair amount of typing and editing to do but the story is complete and that makes all the difference. I'll take a break and start the revision process in the new year. I don't know if it's any good but at least it now exists and I've gained the experience. Let me thank you all again for your early encouragement which gave me a massive boost to get through the test of stamina which is novel-writing, and not least for the inspiration and enjoyment of this game.

Hope you all have a happy festive season.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:40 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Congratulations!

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:17 pm
by Rooter
Thanks, Victoria. Have you ever written a novel, or do you focus exclusively on short fiction? I can't imagine a writer of your skill being unpublished.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:41 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Thank you for the kind words.

Many years ago I made two feeble attempts at novels. One SF, one fantasy. Both about 40,000 words, and badly padded to reach that length. I am more comfortable at shorter lengths.

I've had short pieces published here and there over the years in small press markets. My story in The Haunting of Lake Manor Hotel just earned me an Amazon gift card of $26.00, which is the most money I've ever made from writing.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:26 pm
by Rooter
Interesting. If I've learned anything from you this past year it's that writing can be for fun as much as for anything else though.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:28 pm
by Rooter
How's it going, Victoria? Hope all is well out there on the frontier.

I fractured my big toe a few weeks ago. Tripped outside of a health center, ironically. So that's what's going on with me. Weather is cold and grey but that's pretty much all-year-round here.

Hopefully Priest will be back soon. I'm just letting you know I'm still here (whether you regard this as a good thing or not.)

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:47 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Yikes! Best wishes for a swift and full recovery.

I'm doing fine. Working a lot extra. (Somebody is out having a baby, somebody else had to be admitted to the hospital with chest pain while at work -- one advantage of working at a hospital -- and other people just want time off.)

Always glad to see you here. I'm just trying to figure out what comes next.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:13 pm
by Rooter
Thanks, expected healing time is about six weeks.

That scenario at work is a familiar one, believe me.

I just hope we haven't scared Priest away. Hopefully s/he will be back in the new year.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:54 pm
by Priest
I'm here so fear not, just been Christmassed. Is everyone waiting on me?

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
It would be of great help if you would indicate what action Miss carrow might take, now that the intruder's attention is drawn to her.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:12 pm
by Rooter
Today I completed revisions on the novel. It's as good as I can make it without help. Which might not be saying much but there it is. I didn't think when I started playing this game that I would end up with a book a few months later but somehow it happened. Again, thank you for reading those awful, error-ridden first draft excerpts and still managing to find nice things to say.

The critique I got of the opening was very helpful, especially in highlighting the extent of the historical innacuracies. The revision involved looking up the etymology of so many words and phrases on top of everything else -- e.g. 'fiance' wasn't even in use then, replaced with 'betrothed'.

After previous failed attempts at novels I finally have something I like enough to want other people to read. Clearly this game was a big inspiration for me so thank you.

For a title I'm torn between The Ballad of Lila Davenport and Hunter's Song.

I'm not sure what to do with the book yet. As far as I can tell selling them is more difficult than writing them. But I'll look around and try to figure something out.

In the meantime I look forward to seeing how the game unfolds!

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Personally, I like Hunter's Song better.

Congratulations on finishing the novel! That's a huge achievement.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:11 am
by Rooter
Hunter's Song it shall be.

Thanks. I've learned a lot.

And I hope you're not getting too buried at work.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:54 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Off for a couple of days, then back briefly for one day, then off for a couple of days, then back briefly for one day, then off for a day, then I should be back to normal.

(Irregular work schedule, and a trip to North Carolina to purchase the inventory of a book store. Should be the start of an interesting project.)

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:50 am
by Rooter
Wow, I look forward to hearing more about it.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 am
by Rooter
Everything okay, boss?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Doing OK. I was waiting to see if Miss Carrow wishes to send Lucky out tracking or not.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:32 pm
by Priest
Previously Elizabeth Carrow said:   So saying she puts the small animal on the ground and with a loving stroke of the foxes head whispers, "Take care my sweet love, now go seek Mary"  
I did :D

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:37 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Well that's weird. I always look for "new posts." How did I miss that one?

Thanks.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:16 am
by Rooter
I've put the Lila novel Hunter's Song up on Amazon Kindle Scout for 30 days:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/FZPT37SSZJDA

Anyone with an Amazon account can nominate it for publication.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:17 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Done!

Good luck with this project!

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy
I nominated it too. Good luck!

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 am
by carnage_lee
I've nominated it too! Good luck :)

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 pm
by Priest
Done, good luck.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm
by Rooter
Wow, thanks guys, I really appreciate the support!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away for a couple of days, back just for a bit on Friday, then away again until Wednesday.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 am
by Rooter
Victoria was having problems accessing the site so has asked me to let you know that she will be away for a few days.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 pm
by Rooter
Well, the Kindle Scout route wasn't to be for the book. I can't say I'm not disappointed but now it's a case of keep on looking, keep on trying.

Thank you all for your support in the attempt, Victoria, Mr. Handy, Lee, Priest.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm
by Rooter
Oh, and thanks also to Daniel James Hanley, the creator of Ghastly Affair, who gave the campaign a mention on the "Engine of Oracles" site.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
SunlessNick has been observing our game and sent me a message about it. I have invited him to join, either taking over the role of Mister Rachman or creating a new character. I told him I would ask your opinion one way or the other.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm
by Rooter
Very happy to have SunlessNick aboard - we've met before at Engine of Oracles, I believe.

If a new character is preferred perhaps Rachman could say farewell and sail back to the East on the ship we visited yesterday in the port.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd be glad for SunlessNick to join us too.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 am
by Priest
I too would have no objection. Perhaps he may be able to work out the answer to this damned riddle :?

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away from the computer for several days.

If our new member shows up, please help in character creation and whatever else is necessary.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 pm
by Rooter
Looks like Priest is away for a week too, so at least SunlessNick has plenty of time.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:59 pm
by SunlessNick
The post reply button has appeared on my page display, so Hi, and thankyou for allowing me to join in. (Though I'm afraid I would have been no help with that riddle - my own theory was that it was intended as a mocking characterisation of Dr North himself).

Anyway, Victoria said there was a choice between my playing Dr Rachman or a new character. The new character I have in mind is of the Gypsy Class, Ines Maya:

Ines is the daughter of a functionary from the Spanish diplomatic mission to the British Crown (whose name I haven't come up with yet, and is well out of Ines's life anyway) and his Gitana mistress Lucia - she was born in Spain, and brought to England with her parents. Spain's support for the American Revolutionaries caused many among the mission to return to Spain - among them was Ines's father, who knowing that he had to establish a new niche for himself quickly, decided that a Gypsy mistress and daughter would be disadvantageous, and abandoned Lucia and Ines without looking back - worse was the fact that Lucia had taken ill with consumption, and died not long after, leaving Ines alone.

She didn't want to find herself in an orphanage or similar institution, so for the last ten years - by now, she'd be in her early twenties - she's been making her way as she can, moving from city to city. She hasn't been able to join any of England's Gypsy bands, as her Spanish side is a black mark even to them. The only reliable livings available to a girl like her would be entertainment, petty crime, and whoring - she's managed to avoid the latter, thankfully, and is a good enough singer and dancer to benefit from the former - the middle one, well, happens sometimes. As a Gitana, she's not blind to the presence of weirder things in the world, and will be intrigued by those who know of them too.

Personality: Watchful - alternates between extravagently extrovert when she's performing, and unobtrisive otherwise, with little in between - a streak of honour that might be surprising to see in someone like her. I rolled 3d6 for Perversity and got 14, which doesn't seem inappropiate.

As you have no doubt discerned, however, Ines is hardly the sort of person that would naturally join the existing company, which means there'd be a bit of work for Victoria to write her in. I had suggested that she be in trouble with the next suitable supernatural villain, and either join you to see it dead, or if it's killed at the time, to help you with your own troubles in repayment. Do any of you have better ideas?

If nothing seems workable, then I could take over Mr Rachman instead. While I want to get my "beautiful girl whom dark forces are want to imperil" opportunity while I can :), Mr Rachman is a character I find interesting, and playing him would also be fun.

If everyone likes the sound of Ines, I'll take this to the Dramatis Personae and work on more detailed stats. I have a copy of the game, and obviously Victoria's rules are also in that thread.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome! You couldn't post in this board earlier because you need to have your account validated. Usually new users post in the Game Recruitment area, and I validate them when I see their posts. Then they can post in the game boards. Since I knew you were joining, I went ahead and validated you. Any Keeper, Global Moderator, or Administrator can validate someone, but I don't think the instructions have been posted anywhere convenient (a sticky in the Keeper's Lounge might be best).

Ines sounds great to me!

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 am
by SunlessNick
Ah, thankyou, on both counts. I've corrected the omission and posted on the welcome board now. :oops:

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 am
by Rooter
Ines sounds good to me too. Had you considered that there could be some link with the Gypsy we already have associated with the party - Magda?

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:14 pm
by Rooter
Actually, scratch that last thought regarding Magda - it's probably something for Victoria to decide.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:Actually, scratch that last thought regarding Magda - it's probably something for Victoria to decide.
If there was a connection, the easiest option would be if Lucia was from the same band rather than a Gitana and left them when she took up with the Spaniard. Not much would have to change about Ines but her dancing style and languages she knows. It's vanishingly unlikely she would recognise Magda, though Magda might recognise her resemblance to her mother. It'd be a heck of a coincidence, but that's hardly out of genre. I agree though, Victoria's call.

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
The new character is fine. I will come up with some way to introduce her to the party.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:24 pm
by Rooter
SunlessNick I put your picture in a reverse image search and it looks like the above tiny one is the only other version online.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:09 pm
by SunlessNick
Thankyou very much.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away for a day, then back for a day, then away for three days, the n back for several.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
More schedule craziness:

Away for a day, then back for a few days, then away for a few days, then back.

In other words, expect irregular posts for a while.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:06 pm
by Rooter
Just to keep you guys in the frame, I'm preparing to go the indie-publishing route with the Lila novel and hopefully get it out very soon. Does this cover look okay to you? (The white border isn't part of the cover, you have to click on the image to see it fully.)

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 pm
by SunlessNick
I like it. Will it be an ebook only, or paper?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
The picture seems blurry to me, and it's hard to make out the details. Is that intentional?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:37 pm
by Rooter
SunlessNick wrote:I like it. Will it be an ebook only, or paper?
Great! There will be a paperback but please allow me to send you (or anyone) an eBook or PDF file if desired.
Mr. Handy wrote:The picture seems blurry to me, and it's hard to make out the details. Is that intentional?
Er, yes, it is intentional. Hmm, the image is full resolution (though shrunk to quarter-size to post here) but it's a worry if people might see it as low quality. The idea is a kind of eerie artistic effect to capture the gothic horror element. You're the only one to mention it so far but perhaps I'd better seek a few more opinions.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 pm
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:Great! There will be a paperback but please allow me to send you (or anyone) an eBook or PDF file if desired.
I'll be getting the paperback, but I wouldn't say no to a PDF; thankyou!

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome, and thank you. I'd be happy to have a PDF!

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:43 pm
by Rooter
Mr. Handy, is it possible to send a pdf file as an attachment in a pm? Whenever I try to attach I get -

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
I thought you could attach a PDF to a PM, but I've never actually tried it myself that I can remember. I'll PM you my email address instead. I'm sure you can attach a PDF to that.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:50 pm
by Rooter
Mr. Handy, I wonder if it's possible to change my username? I just think 'Wruter' is such a rubbish non-word.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy
It is possible. I've seen a user change his own name, though he is a global moderator. I'm sure I can change yours. What username would you like instead?

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm
by Rooter
Thanks but I've been racking my brain all day and can't think of one so maybe I'd better stick with this. I'll change my avatar instead.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:52 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away for a couple of days, back for a day, away for three days, then back.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 am
by Rooter
Just wanted to share with you the final cover for the Lila book. I had to scrap the previous one but did what I should have done in the first place and hired a professional designer. This is what it looks like before the barcode etc. goes on.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:43 pm
by SunlessNick
I liked the previous one too, but this is fantastic.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
This cover is much better!

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 am
by Rooter
Thanks SunlessNick and Mr. Handy, I'm glad you think so.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am
by Rooter
Well, that's it, the book is out. We'll see what happens. I'm grateful to all of you for all the encouragement you've given me along the way. As you can probably tell I've found a lot of inspiration here. I've even got an outline and the first 2k words drafted of a second book about Lila (but whether I write it or not remains to be seen). Either way, it's been a blast, so thank you.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm
by SunlessNick
Rah! Setting up an order now.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 pm
by Rooter
Nick, I'm touched and astonished that you should wish to read it, still less own it. I have yet to see a paperback myself. Anyway, I very much appreciate your taking an interest.

Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 am
by SunlessNick
I've had the best of proofs that the lead character is interesting. :)

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I am away for a day, then back briefly for a couple of days, then away for four days.

I know that Priest has been posting and even running a game, so I don't know if the recent absence means a loss of interest in this game or some other factor.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:57 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Just a reminder that I will be away for four days.

The players may wish to come up with a plan in advance as to how they are going to locate the missing Antoine Dupray when they arrive in Paris.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:10 am
by SunlessNick
We certainly have little but time while we're walking to Dunkirque.

The big problem any plan has to deal with is that Miss Davenport is the only one who speaks French, which means no following different lines of enquiry at once. Do we know which port he arrived in?

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:11 pm
by Rooter
On the other hand the English are viewed with suspicion and possibly only Ines and Ivan could pass for other. We could ask in the port about Antoine, maybe also the coach company. Searching possibilities once we get to Paris besides Dr. North's idea of the mail office could be the Lamont letter if they're an influential family who have connections or maybe Ines asking around in street taverns where she dances about any odd new arrivals. Just a few ideas.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:01 am
by SunlessNick
As I had Ines suggest, Antoine is for his sister, so he's going to have to do some of the same things as we are.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:53 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
A couple of unexpected nights here at work, so I will be around for at least two evenings.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:15 am
by Priest
Sadly, and I hate doing this, I think I will have to bow out of this game, as I am struggling to keep up with the action (probably a timezone thing). However I have had a real blast playing in this story alongside you all. Victoria has done a wonderful job running this system, and I look forward to playing alonside you in some other guise. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:45 am
by Rooter
Very sorry to hear that. For what it's worth I don't think it's been any problem posting Elizabeth at the rate you have been doing anyway and she would be a big loss.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:08 pm
by SunlessNick
I'm sorry to hear that too.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:24 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I certainly understand the time problem. It happens to us all sometimes. I wish you the very best, and certainly feel free to jump back in at any time.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry you're leaving too, and I hope you'll have time to return. Maybe if the pace of the game slows down a little. I can usually only post once per day, and I often find that the game has moved quickly, though I've always been able to catch up and post.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:52 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away a couple of days.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:Away a couple of days.
Disregard that. I'm working more nights than I thought.

As a reward for covering for another person on an emergency basis, I was given an Amazon gift card, which I have used to purchase the illustrated Player's Guide and Presenter's Guide for Ghastly Affair.

I might as well mention here that I have started reading Hunter's Song and it is very good indeed. Written on a professional level, vivid, fast-moving, and with fully realized characters.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 pm
by Rooter
Thank you, I'm flattered beyond words. And I hope things aren't too hectic with work.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I finished Hunter's Song. Thank goodness it's not one of those modern, bloated novels you have to slog through. This was a pleasure to read, with plot twists I didn't see coming and plenty of action.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:38 am
by Rooter
Again, I'm flattered and unworthy. Structurally I planned it as a deliberate homage to the pulp fantasy paperbacks of the 70s/80s that I grew up reading - think the kind of stuff Ace published - so, as you say, it's not long (I share your despair with the massiveness of modern books), it's action-oriented and is essentially an heroic coming-of-age sort of tale in the guise of gothic romance. If nothing else I stuck to a simple plan and achieved what I set out to do with not a little help from you above all and several others, for which I'll always be grateful.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy
I've always liked long, epic books. As a case in point, I'm currently reading Outlander. I'm almost finished, but I have Dragonfly in Amber lined up to read next, followed by the entire rest of the series so far. It's also (mostly) an 18th century setting, though somewhat earlier than this. I'm not sure when I'll be able to read Hunter's Song, but I hope I can squeeze it in somewhere since it isn't too long.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
It has been pointed out to me that each of you should have had the opportunity to increase a Basic Ability by one when you were increased to level two. Please feel free to do so.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy
I'll increase my Intelligence.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 am
by Rooter
I've made a note that my Charisma was increased to 7 however I believe Lila is back to Level 1 following the encounter with the Wraith.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:I've made a note that my Charisma was increased to 7 however I believe Lila is back to Level 1 following the encounter with the Wraith.
I guess I'll just make it harder to get to the next level (which should not be for a while anyway.) Keep the increased Charisma.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 pm
by SunlessNick
I finished Hunter's Song. I enjoyed it - my one caveat would be that I hope Lila needs a little less saving in the next book. Which does of course also mean that I hope there a next book. It was very kind of you to put us in the acknowledgments - thankyou.

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 pm
by Rooter
Thank you, it's a huge compliment just to be read, and I much appreciate your very astute and useful critical feedback, too.

On another note it appears that our presenter is experiencing some technical difficulties preventing her from posting at present, which hopefully will be resolved shortly.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 pm
by SunlessNick
I'm going to be away for a couple of days. If Victoria's login problems resolve themselves while I'm gone, don't hold the game up for me any further; assume Ines will go along with whatever Henry and Lila suggest - if it comes to fighting miscreants under the trapdoor, she'll use her brass knuckles, and get between them and Elizabeth if all possible.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Interview with the creator of Ghastly Affair:

https://dreadpunk.com/2017/06/24/ghastl ... ielhanley/

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 am
by Rooter
I saw that, too. I was definitely one of those people who didn't realize how different this earlier period was to Victorian.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:38 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I have been told that Tabs will take over the role of Miss Carrow.

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:11 pm
by Rooter
Welcome Tabs!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:20 am
by SunlessNick
Hello there, Tabs!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Hooray! Welcome aboard, Tabs!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 am
by Tabs
Thanks, guys!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm
by Rooter
That picture is Miss Carrow perfectly.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am
by Tabs
Hi, I'm off on my hols. for 5 days. Mon-Fri.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I'm away for 5 days also, then back Monday and Tuesday (here in the USA.)

It might be best for all the adventurers to plan what they shall do once they reach Paris and environs.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 am
by Rooter
Regarding Paris I think we have three main possible goals:

1. Delivering the letter to the Lamont family Ines is carrying.

2. Investigating the rumors of rising supernatural forces.

3. Hunting down Violette Dupray to stop her from more madness.

(There is also still the matter of the mirror with the Wraith trapped inside and my character is stuck back at Level 1 until I can find out more about it.)

It's possible we could split up and each take a different issue.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm
by SunlessNick
Of these three goals, the letter is the least time sensitive - there's no indication that waiting puts the woman in Rochester in any jeopardy. But it's also likely to be the quickest to get done, whether in success or failure. Apart from the mission itself, the DuPont family and their servants may also be a last opportunity to get news of events in Paris from people close at hand. Lastly, it's the least likely to be dangerous.

I think Violette DuPray will also be looking for us. Marrying Elizabeth to Antoinne and killing Mr Witherly's loved one don't seem like crimes of opportunity - they seem targeted.

Rising supernatural forces is a vague thing to investigate - we could lose ourselves in that mission very easily. I also wonder if it may be connected to what DuPray is doing.

It might be worth trying the Bibliothèque Nationale and Bibliothèque Mazarine for information on the wraith.

I'm wary of splitting up with three of us injured.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy
I agree, we should stick together as much as possible. Yes, let's deliver the letter first. At least we don't have to worry about delivering the chest of mail any more, and we've already found Antoine. We will have to track down Violette somehow - or she'll track us down, as she has apparently done this time.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 am
by Tabs
I jumped in the deep end, taking on Elizabeth. I thought that I'd be swimming by now, but I'm still sinking. To be honest, I'm gonna quit. Apologies, especially to Victoria.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:43 am
by Rooter
You were doing fine.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:30 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tabs wrote:I jumped in the deep end, taking on Elizabeth. I thought that I'd be swimming by now, but I'm still sinking. To be honest, I'm gonna quit. Apologies, especially to Victoria.
I have absolutely no problem with how you were handling the character, so you would be welcome to continue.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:56 pm
by SunlessNick
Sorry to hear that, Tabs.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 pm
by Mr. Handy
You've been doing great, and I hope you'll reconsider and keep playing.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:03 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away for a full week (unless things change) and I have left you in something of a corner, so feel free to participate in any reasonable actions which may lead you to your goal and I'll catch up with you later.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am
by Rooter
[Redacted]

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:27 pm
by SunlessNick
Wrt what Victoria said, the leads we have seem to be:

1. Trying to find out where the posters of Violette are being printed.

2. Trying to find where Violette was living in the Quartier - she's probably pretty conspicuous.

3. Trying to trace Roterstein though his attempts at patronage (he'd have to be pretty lucky to have met Violette first).

4. Delivering the letter to the LaMont family, and fishing for other news at the same time.

I think 4 is out best option when it comes to 3 - out of the people we've heard of, they're the ones most likely to have come across rumours of disreputable scientists looking for financial backing (well, apart from other scientists, but we've tried that). However, if the authorities are after him as Lavoisier implied, he probably won't be using his real name.

But I think 1 is the better bet - the printing is likely to be ongoing, which means there are lines of distribution to follow, and Violette will be keeping tabs on it, so we may find an agent of hers who can lead us to her.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 pm
by Rooter
I was going to suggest 4 - to say that we lack contacts in the city and the LaMonts may provide an opening.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:32 pm
by SunlessNick
That's a good point.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 pm
by Rooter
As you say, it might help in tracing Roterstein or at least putting us in touch with someone who can. Let's see what Mr. Handy thinks.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy
I agree, number 4 should be our starting place. Also, if we can find someone who is distributing the posters, we can follow them to find out where they get them.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 pm
by SunlessNick
While we're visting the LaMonts, is there anyone we could induce to find a distributor of the leaflets? The restaurant proprieter seems fairly well-informed, and it's a topic of interest among at least several of his customers.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am
by Rooter
Do you mean the proprietor of our lodgings? It might be something to try when (if) we return in the evening perhaps?

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:16 pm
by SunlessNick
Both, perhaps.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 pm
by SunlessNick
My internet access is unreliable at the moment. I've managed to log in here on another machine, but if I go a couple of days without posting, that is why - I haven't lost interest in the game - if it happens, just decide what you think Ines should do.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
I will be away for a week (unless all goes well) so take time to think how you will continue your investigation.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm
by SunlessNick
If it is Roterstein who sabotaged the cages, he might have been seen, but I'm not sure how that helps us. Apart from that, do we have any leads to him beyond Ines's suggestion of playing bait?

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 am
by Rooter
We have the lead of the Ile de la Citie near the cathedral being a gathering place for radicals and were planning to visit there tonight, so it looks like the idea is to take the man to the Sorbonne for help as per Dr North's suggestion then go to the Ile de la Citie around midnight.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
Yes, that sounds good to me too.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am
by SunlessNick
That definitely sounds better than bait. :)

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm
by Rooter
Regarding languages, given that a season has now passed in Paris perhaps Dr. North and Ines could feasibly have had the opportunity to gain some French?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Wruter wrote:Regarding languages, given that a season has now passed in Paris perhaps Dr. North and Ines could feasibly have had the opportunity to gain some French?

I would suggest each player who wishes to gain a working knowledge of French (or another common language, given the opportunity) should choose to make an Ability Check with appropriate bonuses and penalties against Intelligence. Choosing to do this will use up a fair amount of the player's time, so I will occasionally choose to limit what other activities that player may have time to do.

(In this I am being more liberal than the guidebook, which suggests that it take 2 years to learn a language.)

If they choose to attempt this and are successful, Doctor North will gain a working knowledge of formal French, and Ines a working knowledge of street French. This will effect how they interact with various French speakers.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 pm
by SunlessNick
Ines wouldn't have been doing a great deal else while recovering from her injury (though she also wouldn't have been interacting with many people). In any case, the Intelligence check was unsuccessful.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Intelligence roll (13 + 3[Fast Learner] + 3[Gift for Languages] = 19):
[dice]0[/dice]
Oh, I forgot that Elizabeth would be with me! That makes the 20 a success.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Intelligence roll (13 + 3[Fast Learner] + 3[Gift for Languages] = 19):
[dice]199951:0[/dice]
Oh, I forgot that Elizabeth would be with me! That makes the 20 a success.
Automatic success for picking up a working knowledge of formal/scientific French over the several days that have passed.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away for a few days, so you may wish to make these decisions in the meantime:

Who will go with whom.

What equipment (within reason) you will carry.

Whether you will follow someone to the cathedral or go on your own.

Once at the cathedral, whether you will attempt to contact someone or search on your own.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 am
by SunlessNick
My thoughts:

If we divide, it should only be into two groups, Lila in one and Henry in the other, because they're the only ones who can speak French.

Lila going ahead and leaving a trail does sound like a good plan, if a dangerous one. It would also be easier and less suspicious for one person to follow someone than four. Or perhaps "bump into them on the way."

I don't think we should try to pass Henry off as a peer of Rotterstein, because most people coming to this meeting are here to see Violette-as-Jeanne, and we don't know how many of them even know Rotterstein is a part of this.

Those with pistols should bring them, but Henry might be better off leaving his sword cane behind - a stick is a class marker. Ines will bring her brass knuckles. Do we want one lantern each or one per group?

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan has a sword cane, Henry just has a cane, but you're right, both are indicators of wealth and privilege. We shouldn't go unarmed, though, but we can carry knives. Our pistols were confiscated when we crossed the border, but perhaps we can buy some. I agree with splitting into two groups at most, though Lila could scout ahead a little, and we might want to each appear to be alone, though somewhat near each other. We should each have our own light source, in case we get separated.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am
by SunlessNick
Huh. For some reason I'd got it into my head that you already had, and used them against the boar at the gardens. Definitely not unarmed, though, I agree.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:07 am
by Rooter
The cathedral is a Catholic institution so Ines might have some cover. If Lila is to use stealth to follow one of the cloaked figures maybe she could carry some colored rosary beads to leave markers for the others to follow. I think she will stick with her daggers though Dr. North buying a new pistol sounds useful.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 am
by SunlessNick
Ines could go to the catherdral before nightfall and keep an eye out for anything that happens shortly before the Sun sets. (After the injury from the boar and excursion into the mirror, she'd welcome a few hours there before we go into battle again).

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Back after quite a while. I will presume the above suggestions meet with no objection.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am
by Rooter
I have this draft of a Lila Davenport short story (approx 4.5k words) titled "A Cure for Melancholy". The tentative idea was to release it as a free ebook-only download in December to promote the novel. But I'm inexperienced at this length and I think I've messed it up. If anyone has time to read it I would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I thought this was a good story up until the very end. The way in which Mr. Pilson fights off the demon was much too sudden. I think you need to expand this climactic scene quite a bit.

Here's one idea, just as an example. Suppose the struggle is between Mr. Pilson's lighthearted nature and the humorless nature of the demon. Mr. Pilson, even though in physical and spiritual agony, would force himself to laugh at the demon, and would do whatever he could to make the others laugh at it also. This would make the theme of your story (and its title) stronger. Perhaps the ladies could be induced to sing comic songs and so forth.

Just a notion, anyway.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 am
by Rooter
Thank you. You're absolutely right, I had wanted the story to be around 3k words long so when it reached 4.5k I was just rushing to tie everything up. Your idea is a brilliant one. It's a mark of how differently out brains work that such a thing never occurred to me and also that I have no real idea how I would even write such a scene but you've certainly shown me the way.

On reflection I'm going to discard the short story idea as they're too refined a skill for me. A short story basically has to be flawless but a novel is allowed to have something wrong with it. It's clear to me now that this, if it goes anywhere at all, should be repurposed and expanded into a novel chapter. Even the references to Mr. Pilson's occupation and why he has attached himself to Lila are just fragments of a larger story.

Thanks again for all your help.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am
by Rooter
On another note I've just taken delivery of a paper copy of the Ghastly Affair Player's Manual from Amazon to complement the PDF and can highly recommend it as a physical object.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Yes, they are very nice books, full of fine artwork and nice little bits of historical trivia.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:05 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away for another three days, so make plans for your excursion and for whom you will inform.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:52 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away again for a couple of days.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 pm
by SunlessNick
Well there's a cliffhanger. :)

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away again for a week.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
And once more away for a week.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And yet again gone, this time until December 6.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:48 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Once more, this time until 12/20/2017.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:53 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Away again, until 1/1/18.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:07 pm
by SunlessNick
Happy New Year, then, everyone.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am
by Rooter
Happy new year.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Off for at least a day, then maybe back for a while on 1/18/18*, then off four days, then back for a stretch.

(*Depends if I can get to work on that day. Barely made it down our quarter-mile long, steep, curving driveway after some snow and cold temperatures. Going back up is a lot harder, so I'll most likely have to leave the car at the bottom and hike back up the hill to home.)

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm
by Rooter
Take care. Conditions are similar here.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a day, then back briefly on February 1, then away for five days, then back for a week.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until late on February 21.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:19 am
by SunlessNick
I'm going to have no home internet access for most of the first half of March. I'll be able to log in from public places, but not with any reliability. If I'm not around at any point, feel free to have Ines act how you see fit.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Off for the weekend (mandatory continuing education) and then back late Monday night.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 pm
by SunlessNick
My home internet seems to be restored.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sorry, folks. I have been away from the computer for several days because I had to have my gall bladder removed. I'm doing fine now. I'll try to add something tonight and get back into the swing of things.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 am
by SunlessNick
Wow. I'm glad you're ok.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am
by Rooter
Very glad to hear you're doing fine now.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome back! I'm glad you're doing better.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until Saturday, probably just briefly, then back starting Monday for several days.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm
by SunlessNick
I hope it's normal away-reasons, not surgery-related.

Meanwhile, I'll probably be away on Tuesday.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away from the computer for a while. Back briefly early Friday, then back for several nights in a row starting Tuesday.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am
by SunlessNick
My image for Ines is starting not to show up, so I'm testing some new ones... and this is the winner.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am
by Rooter
It's a great picture.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Very nice indeed!

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until the night of May 2. Continue as you like.

We'll see if Miss Davenport shows up again.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 pm
by Rooter
She's just waiting with Dr. North and the others while Ines and Ivan are investigating, isn't she?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Very good. Wanted to make sure you were still with us.

You can meet and discuss and plan until I return.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 pm
by Rooter
Sorry, I should have been more specific about her intended actions in my post.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Just for fun, I have created a very loose and simple adaptation of the Ghastly Affair system for the storytelling/role-playing site Storium.

https://storium.com/game/ghastly-affair ... -1/scene-1

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 am
by Rooter
Excellent. Let me know if you're ever in need of another player, otherwise I'll just follow along as a spectator.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Excellent. Let me know if you're ever in need of another player, otherwise I'll just follow along as a spectator.
One problem is that, since I have a free membership with Storium (and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee, cheapskate that I am), I can only have three players in a game.

What I can do, however, is "clone" the game; basically starting a new one with the same setting.

If you are serious about joining in, you'll have to create a membership with Storium. I'd advise going to their "help" screen and making your way through their "tutorials" to learn how their simple but unique system works.

https://storium.com/game/player-tutorial/act-2/scene-2

https://storium.com/game/narrator-tutor ... -2/scene-1

Here's the "clone" game, ready to accept three new players:

https://storium.com/game/ghastly-affair ... ntury-copy

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:50 am
by Rooter
Well I would be happy just to follow and I don't want you to get tired of me but that's very kind. I've registered and will submit a character who is completely different to Lila.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Well I would be happy just to follow and I don't want you to get tired of me but that's very kind. I've registered and will submit a character who is completely different to Lila.

I think it would be impossible to grow tired of you, my friend.

I look forward to seeing the new persona!

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I will be away until late on the evening on the 16th.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Here a few more hours then away until late on 5/30/18.

Until then, you might want to decide, as a party, whether you wish to wait until dawn or set out at night.

Either decision will carry possible risks and benefits and encounters.

If making camp for the night, will you want a fire or not? Do you wish to set two or three watches for the night or not?

If setting out at once, will you use moonlight only or carry a lantern (with which I will presume you are equipped)? If so, who will carry it?

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until late on the 13th.

(And if you're wondering about the new character just introduced, so am I . . .)

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
My schedule is going to be very erratic for the next few days, so bear with me.

(And I really have no idea where I'm going with the current scene . . .)

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:02 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:(And I really have no idea where I'm going with the current scene . . .)
For what it's worth, it didn't show. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 pm
by Rooter
The dreams seem to indicate that the characters go their separate ways. Is this the end of the game?

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:The dreams seem to indicate that the characters go their separate ways. Is this the end of the game?
Not necessarily. Interpret them as you will.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am
by Rooter
I have updated Lila at Level 4 in the character thread, increasing Charisma to 9. I have also taken the liberty of posting in the recruitment thread in case there are any new players wishing to join at this natural entry point.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:21 am
by SunlessNick
I raised Ines's Dexterity to 11 for 4th level (it seems most in keeping with her experiences). The advancement table notes that her damage bonus is now +2. I haven't rolled to add hit points, because Vicki prefers to do that. :)

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:I raised Ines's Dexterity to 11 for 4th level (it seems most in keeping with her experiences). The advancement table notes that her damage bonus is now +2. I haven't rolled to add hit points, because Vicki prefers to do that. :)
Well, actually, I don't care one way or the other. Go ahead and roll for 'em if you like.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Well, actually, I don't care one way or the other. Go ahead and roll for 'em if you like.
Sorry, my mistake. I got a 1.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy
That's rotten luck. :(

I never did roll for HP at 3rd level. I had 4 to start and got a 1 at 2nd, but at 3rd I think you gave us all 24 HP in total. If we're going back to regular HP, I'll roll for both levels:
[dice]0[/dice]
Well, looks like I'm in the same boat as Ines. I have 7 HP total.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:16 am
by SunlessNick
It's a good job we have Lila and Ivan to do the fighting.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:19 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I don't mind everybody having maximum possible hit points, as it is not my intention to kill you off. I won't be keeping careful track of these anyway. It's just, if you suffer one hit point, you have a slight injury; if, say, six, you're hurt badly; and so on.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
My schedule is irregular for a while. Here today for a while, then in the middle of the night Saturday/Sunday, then off for a while, then back for a while starting Wednesday night. I will try to respond to any activities that take place when I can.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:35 pm
by SunlessNick
It's my turn to be going away tomorrow, for two weeks. I'm not sure whether I'll have net access while I'm gone, so if I disappear, have Ines act as you see fit, and I'll be back around the 7th.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Gone until late Wednesday night.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sam message as above.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Back earlier than I thought. Continue to discuss the situation as you like.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:43 am
by SunlessNick
It's my turn to be away for a couple of days; back sometime Friday.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a week (unless something changes.)

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Called back in to work for a couple of nights, so will be around just briefly, then away for a while as stated before.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I'll be around briefly on Friday, but otherwise gone for a week.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Irregular schedule for me coming up; away for a day, back for a couple of days, then away for three days, then back for eight nights.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Unless something changes, I will be away for a full week, but then back again for twelve days.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for two days, then back for a week.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I have had a message from one of our players indicating a desire to create a new character. This is certainly fine with me. I don't know if anybody else would like to do the same. If there is sufficient interest in doing so, I could advance the time line to, say 1802 (a brief period of peace between France and England) or 1815 (after the Napoleonic Wars.) This could be an "inside" adventure, taking place almost entirely within a large estate. (I would make use of the very detailed map of Highdark Hall as provided by Daniel James Hanley, the creator of Ghastly Affair, at the Engine of Oracles.) You could also have the characters you have already created as well.

One thing I have in the back of my mind is Mister Hanley's brief mention of "Groovy Ghastly Affair," adapting the system to the 1960's. This would be somewhat lighter in tone, something like an old B movie of the time.

Any comments are welcome.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd be open to jumping to 1802 or 1815, though I'd want to keep my character and just age him. The 1960s adaptation sounds intriguing too.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:14 am
by Rooter
It should be noted that I've read the new Highdark Hall book so am already familiar with the setting and characters etc. I confess I'm not sure what to make of the 1960s idea as I'm unfamiliar with all the references of films and such mentioned on Daniel's post.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:52 am
by Rooter
Victoria has pointed out that she would simply use the maps of the house rather than the events in the supplement for Highdark Hall. In the instance of a 1960s setting, how would characters be created since the manual seems very specific for the Georgian era?

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I would be pretty much winging it, based on some hints from the Engine of Oracles site.

Examples:

https://engineoforacles.wordpress.com/2 ... ly-affair/

https://engineoforacles.wordpress.com/2 ... /#comments

I would probably fool around with this somewhat; maybe adding Hippie as a character class, for example.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
I can envision myself playing a descendant of Henry and Elizabeth in the 1960s setting, either a Parapsychologist or a True Innocent.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is also possible to be some kind of reincarnation. Surely you've seen those movies where somebody looks exactly like the painting of an ancestor.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I have added a post to the "I'm Thinking of Running a Game" forum.

If Mr. Handy (or another moderator) will create a forum for "Groovy Ghastly Affair" I will start the wheels turning.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
Oh, fab! 8-) You're all set. Here is the new forum.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:30 am
by Mr. Handy
Henry's HP gain for level 5:
[dice]0[/dice]
That takes me to 10 HP total, as I finally got more than 1 on one of these rolls. Now I have as many HP as Ivan does.

I'll add another +1 to Intelligence, which takes me to 16. I'll cannibalize the Mad Invention I had made at the previous level (Cure Light Wounds, 2) and the Illuminator (Light, 1) to free up enough level slots to create a new Mad Invention, the Regenerator (Cure Serious Wounds, 4). I still have the Cauteriser (Close Wounds, 1). While it might make sense to add the Golem as a new Monstrous Servant, it isn't listed in the rulebook. Anyway, it's not likely to see use, as it remains at the castle, guarding it and the Brazen Head.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm
by SunlessNick
I would assume, if Lila is departing, it would be to continue her mission - would she be willing to have Ines go with her? Because I think Ines would want to. If Lila would agree to that, I will come up with a new character.
Rooter: what class is your new character going to be, so I don't duplicate it?

ETA: Sorry, just to be clear: Is the proposal to continue this game in 1802, start a Groovy game, or both?

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:54 pm
by Rooter
It looks like we now have both.

In the intervening years Lila has emigrated to new frontiers and new battles in the American colonies. Certainly Ines could accompany her but please don't feel you need to make a new character unless you really want to - I just feel I have to move on from Lila now.

Below is the basic new character I came up with, a magician. I would suppose that he is a minor French noble who with his occult powers was involved in some form of espionage for the French government or crown and was forced to flee in the Revolution for some reason, seeking refuge at Doctor North's castle (or at Highdark Hall or somewhere else) in England - perhaps he made the acquaintance of Lila Davenport while she was back in France at some point, who told him of their adventures and vouched for the others, hence he will not be unaware of everything prior.

As for Groovy Ghastly Affair, you've convinced me, Victoria. And Liz North is a great idea. I just hope there are enough players.

NAME: Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse
CHARACTER CLASS: Magician
BACKGROUND: ???

CHARISMA: 9
INTELLIGENCE: 9
WISDOM: 11 (including +2 adjustment)
STRENGTH: 9
DEXTERITY: 9
CONSTITUTION: 9
PERVERSITY: 9
HIT POINTS: 4
DAMAGE BONUS: None

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Esoteric Knowledge (+1), Use Incantation, Perform Ceremony,
Create Talismans, Employ Pact

WEAKNESSES: Magical Implement, Power Object

EQUIPMENT: 1 dagger, 1 set of ordinary clothes, a haversack, ceremonial clothes, 1
Talisman, 1 Magical Implement (pentacle), 1 Power Object (a ring), a book of magic spells and theory, a dried root, blank journal, pen & ink, salt, candles, chalk, a skin of wine.

0 LEVEL SPELLS: Beguile, Create Flame
1ST LEVEL SPELLS: Detect Evil, Obscuring Mist

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:01 am
by SunlessNick
Rooter wrote:In the intervening years Lila has emigrated to new frontiers and new battles in the American colonies. Certainly Ines could accompany her but please don't feel you need to make a new character unless you really want to - I just feel I have to move on from Lila now.
In truth, deciding that Lila's mission is a thing worth doing and asking to join her in it is a course I've had in mind for Ines for a while now. So it feels right to go with it.

I'll try to come up with a new character quickly :).

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Thanks for joining in.

Monsieur de Labrousse:

Beguile may either be an Incantation, a Ceremony, or a Pact. If a Ceremony, it can be prepared in advance until such time as it is needed. If a Pact, the nature of the agreement with a specific Spirit should be specified. (For a Zero level Pact, this would a very simple "sacrifice" such as burning a small offering of food to the Spirit.)

Create Flame is an Incantation only.

Detect Evil may either be an Incantation or a Talisman. Note the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Obscuring Mist is an Incantation only.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:03 am
by Rooter
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Thanks for joining in.

Monsieur de Labrousse:

Beguile may either be an Incantation, a Ceremony, or a Pact. If a Ceremony, it can be prepared in advance until such time as it is needed. If a Pact, the nature of the agreement with a specific Spirit should be specified. (For a Zero level Pact, this would a very simple "sacrifice" such as burning a small offering of food to the Spirit.)

Create Flame is an Incantation only.

Detect Evil may either be an Incantation or a Talisman. Note the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Obscuring Mist is an Incantation only.
They are all Incantations.

As a side note I took the name from:
Clotilde-Suzanne Courcelles de Labrousse, commonly Suzette Labrousse or Suzanne Labrousse (1747-1821) was a French medium, known for her prophecies during the French Revolution, of which she was said to have foretold the outbreak. She was used by the Jacobins and Maximilien de Robespierre as a tool for political propaganda.
Could be a fictional relative.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Very cool. 8-)

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 am
by Rooter
I think prompting you to use an emoticon might be my greatest triumph, Vicki.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
Rooter wrote:As for Groovy Ghastly Affair, you've convinced me, Victoria. And Liz North is a great idea. I just hope there are enough players.
Thank you. I've often made characters in different games related to each other, particularly the Carpenter family, though from there I worked backwards from modern times. Liz North is actually the sort of character I had originally intended Liz Penhaligon in Watch the World Burn to be, but her EDU was low, so I made her a young student instead. She also turned out to be a combat monster despite the fact that I put no initial points into any combat skills.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a day, then back briefly for a couple of days, then away for four days, the back for a week.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A reminder that I will be away for four days.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 am
by SunlessNick
I'm playing a Redcoat, so I've made my dialogue font red.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Very nice.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a day, then back for a day, the away for two days, then back for a long stretch.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:17 pm
by SunlessNick
Happy Christmas everyone.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:52 pm
by Rooter
Happy Christmas and new year.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Festive Belated Solstice!

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
My usual time away from the computer:

Back for a little bit on Friday morning, then away until the next Wednesday night, then around for a week.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:56 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a week.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:44 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until late Wednesday night.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Gone until early Friday, then just here for a bit, then back late Wednesday for a week.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks, Victoria has graciously given me leave to join in this ghastly affair.
Lepus is looking forward to the adventure,yesyesyes he is hehehehe.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am
by SunlessNick
Welcome aboard!

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:09 am
by Rooter
Welcome jp. Victoria, good luck not spelling the name as lupus.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Welcome jp. Victoria, good luck not spelling the name as lupus.

You're quite correct. I need to keep in mind that cinematic classic, Night of the Lepus.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 am
by jp1885
Ah the classics...

I didn't accidentally name Lepus' picture as lulpus.jpg, honest.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for six days.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a while, then back briefly Sat/sun, then away until Wednesday.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Apologies for failing to aniounce that I would be away for a week.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 am
by jp1885
No need to apologise Victoria. Glad everything is well!

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for the weekend, back Monday for a bit, then back again for a week starting late Wednesday.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As usual: Away tomorrow, back for a short time on Thursday, then away until Wednesday.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:14 am
by jp1885
Writing this now to give you plenty of notice, but I'll be on holiday from 24th May to 1st June with little or no internet access.
Feel free to NPC my character while I'm away.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until late on May 15.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until 5/27.

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:37 pm
by jp1885
Rejoice, for I have returned.
I was able to write sporadically whilst away, but will be back to full posting capacity by tomorrow evening.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm
by jp1885
I must add that I read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell whilst on holiday - great inspiration for Ghastly Affair!

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:I must add that I read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell whilst on holiday - great inspiration for Ghastly Affair!
Yes, indeed. Also a very fine novel, which I greatly enjoyed.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
My usual time away. Might be back for a bit on Friday and Sunday, but then back for a week starting Wednesday.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 pm
by SunlessNick
My internet is being squirrely at the moment, and next Friday is the earliest I can be sure of it working again. In the meantime, I will log in from public places as much as I can, but if you need to make a decision on William's actions, do so. In general, he's considering much of this situation beyond him, and will defer to the others unless there is fighting to be done.

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
More of my irregular schedule: Here at least a little on Thursday and Monday, then back for a full week on Wednesday.

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a full week.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Off tomorrow, then back briefly next two days, then off four days, then back for a week at least.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until Wednesday night.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away one day, then back for two, then away for two, then away for one, then back for a week

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away tomorrow, then back, probably briefly, for two days, then away for four days, then back for a while.

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away until Monday, here briefly, then away until Wednesday.

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mixed up schedule coming up. Gone for next two days, then around just a bit Friday, then away Saturday, then around, but may not be able to get here for three days due to an unusual schedule. I'll try. Things should be back to normal after that.

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
More schedule weirdness. I may be here quickly on 10/10 and 10/11, then back for a while as of 10/16.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Back a bit on Friday, the n away until Wednesday night.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:30 pm
by jp1885
Apologies if I’m a little slower in posting at the moment. I’ve just got a new job and the learning curve is extremely steep! I’ll do my best to keep up and hope my middle-aged brain cells hold out :D

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:41 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Back for a bit on Saturday, then back for a week on Wednesday.

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:20 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sorry. I forgot to say that I would be away until late on 11/27.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away most of a week, but likely to be here briefly Friday and Monday.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 pm
by SunlessNick
I'm going to be away until the 30th. (I figure my latest post makes it pretty clear how William intends to treat with this feathered serpent - other than that, decide his actions as you see fit).

And have a good Midwinter everyone.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm
by Rooter
It's time for me to take a break in 2020. I'm completely burned out, can barely type a sentence anymore. My character will return home on some business. Maybe in future things will settle and I'll have the energy to start again but for now I need to step back. Sorry.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:04 pm
by jp1885
Totally understand - I've had to cut back on the number of games I'm in myself. Hope all goes well in 2020!

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:47 am
by SunlessNick
I'm sorry to hear that, Rooter. Take care - hope things improve for you.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Best wishes to you always!

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a week, might be here briefly Friday and Monday.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand. I hope things get better for you too.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for a week.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Off for the usual week.

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm
by jp1885
Hey Victoria, out of interest (and because I feel the final showdown with the Fae Lady is nigh), when do our characters level up?

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Good question. I actually have not been paying any attention to this question at all, just winging it off the top of my head (as I am sure you can tell.)

Tell you what. Just before the big battle to come -- I guess that's not a spoiler, is it? -- we'll deal with this. How about if it takes place during a "rest" period after the characters deal with the iron barrier and whatever else they want to do about getting ready. Probably a new "chapter."

Fair enough?

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 am
by jp1885
Sounds good to me :)

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am
by jp1885
Lepus (Gypsy/Magician classes): Add 1d4 to Hit Dice, add a Spell of Level Two (or two of Level One), 1 to Damage Bonus
+1 Charisma = 12
Hit dice - [dice]0[/dice] up to 10
New spells - Detect Evil (level 1), Unseen Servant (level 1)
Damage bonus 1

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:21 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for another week, although I may have a little time on the weekend and Monday.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 pm
by Mr. Handy
I just realized looking at the rules that I wouldn't have been able to create the Regenerator (Cure Serious Wounds) when I made level 5, as it's a level 4 Mad Invention, and I wouldn't be able to create it until I'm level 7, so I'll reshuffle my Mad Inventions. I can, however, make a level 3 Mad Invention if I cannibalize one of my level 1 devices. My new Mad Invention is the Force Projector, which has the Elf Strokeeffect. It is in the form of a small rod that, when pointed at a target and activated, generates a field of electromagnetic force that strikes the target and scrambles its brain. I have the option of recruiting a new Monstrous Servant instead of making a new Mad Invention, but I have a level 5 Monstrous Servant in mind, and I won't have enough levels to recruit it and still keep Ivan until I get to level 7, and I'm just reaching level 6. I'll increase my Dexterity this time, which takes it to 11. My Intelligence was 16 already, as I'd raised it at every previous level.

List of Mad Inventions:
Cauteriser (Close Wounds, 1)
Illuminator (Light, 1)
Lesser Regenerator (Cure Light Wounds, 2)
Force Projector (Elf Stroke, 2)

New hit point total:
[dice]0[/dice]
My Damage Bonus (which I'd forgotten I even have) is now +2.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 am
by SunlessNick
William, level 2:

I'm torn between incresing Dexterity (he's been back in the fray) or Wisdom (he's been exposed to the preternatural world). I'll make up my mind soon.

Hit points: Rolled D6, got a 5.

Damage bonus is now +1.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy
I changed my mind about which Mad Invention I was going to invent. It's more important to have offensive firepower that would be effective against the fae (presuming she has a brain) or her minions than a defense that only protects me, so I edited my post above. I'm going with Elf Stroke.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for the usual week.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And another week.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 am
by SunlessNick
This eve, I am stricken with signs of the covid plague, and must sequester myself away from others. It is not my intent to end my participation here - I merely relate the news so that should I become absent a reason will be apparent.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
You have my very best wishes as you deal with this difficult situation.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 am
by jp1885
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:You have my very best wishes as you deal with this difficult situation.
Same here - all the best and I hope you get through this and come out the other side in good health.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:05 am
by SunlessNick
Thankyou. (I think I should have said confine rather than sequester).

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy
I hope you feel better too. I also have symptoms and am self-quarantining. They started Friday night. Two days ago was the worst, but I think I've turned the corner, though it's still a problem. My symptoms are relatively minor so far, at least.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:I hope you feel better too. I also have symptoms and am self-quarantining. They started Friday night. Two days ago was the worst, but I think I've turned the corner, though it's still a problem. My symptoms are relatively minor so far, at least.
I'm sorry. I the upswing continues.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:51 pm
by jp1885
Best wishes to you too Mr. Handy!

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy
Thank you! I'm not 100 percent yet, but I'm doing much better today.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another week away.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another seven days.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm
by SunlessNick
If I disappear in the immediate future, it'll be because my internet's right at its monthly data limit - if that happens I'll be back on the 19th - have William act as you need in the meantime.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Away for the usual week.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The usual week off.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another seven days.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And again.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A week off.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I had trouble getting here the last three nights, and right now I only have a short time. Back tomorrow night.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am
by jp1885
It’s been down for all of us Vic. Hopefully I’ll have time to write something tonight.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
The site was undergoing maintenance, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. About a week and a half ago I was notified that it would happen starting on Friday the 26th at 10:00 PM Eastern time, and it should have come back up by Saturday at 8:00 AM, but I had then forgotten about it until Friday night, when the site went down while I was in the middle of posting shortly before 11:00 PM. It's been down until today, and I saw that all the posts I made Friday night were gone, as they must have backed the site up some time before they took it down. A spammer I had eliminated was also back, so I had to get rid of it again.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 am
by SunlessNick
Thanks for the info.

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And the usual week off.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another week away.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:29 pm
by SunlessNick
Did anyone else have another round of trouble accessing the site the last couple of days? I didn't even get a maintenance page just a search error saying it couldn't find the site at all.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm
by jp1885
Yeah it hasn’t been loading for me until today.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I have added some stuff today, during my extra day here, to make up for last time.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A week away.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The usual seven days away, but maybe back a little on the weekend.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week off.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
One more week away.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And again.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A week off.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:42 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
gone 7 days

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:07 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
I will be away as usual, might be here briefly on the weekend.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days away.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:33 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another week gone.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Only 4 days away.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The usual week.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Five days away.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A week away; maybe here a bit Thursday.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Off for a week, might be here briefly Thursday and Saturday.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:51 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A week away.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
5 days away.

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days away.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Another week away.

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week off, maybe here a bit Friday.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
My schedule is all mixed up for the next week, so I don't know when I will be here, but I'll try to show up, if only briefly, when I can.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week away, but maybe here for a bit Friday and Monday.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days away.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week away.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:31 am
by jp1885
Just a quick heads-up guys: I’ll be on holiday for a week on Friday, so I might not be posting much.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days off

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The usual week off, maybe a bit on the weekend.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week away.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days off

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week away.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Week away.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week off.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seven days again.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
7 days away.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Usual week off.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
And again.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seven more days.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:22 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sorry to say this, but I am going to have to end these sessions. Nothing bad is happening here; I just lack the time and energy. Thanks to all for sticking with it through thick and thin, and best wishes to everyone.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:23 pm
by jp1885
I’m sad that we won’t be able to continue our adventures, but I know how much time and energy it takes to run these games, so I understand.

I hope you stick around as a player, and I thank you for all the fun times with Lepus, Tony and P!

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry to see these adventures end, but I understand perfectly. I've been wanting to get Zombie Apocalypse moving again, but I simply haven't had the time lately. I've enjoyed these games too, and thank you for running them for as long as you have. I'll archive them over the weekend if I remember. If you ever do have the time and energy to run them again, I'll be happy to bring them back and play in them again.