Post by SunlessNick »

"They are lovers? I understand now."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry is curious how Eliza knows of such things, though he says nothing on the subject. Perhaps memories of her former life are resurfacing. "Agreed as well," he says. "Let us waste no time in setting out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Investigation of the hermit's hut reveals that the goats, chickens, and pigs have been allowed to run free. Given the likewise abandoned crops, and the richness in flora of the surrounding moor, this has not proven to be much of a burden to them. Being fully domesticated, they show no inclination to leave the immediate area.

The interior of the hut is something of a shambles, particularly in contrast to its appearance when first seen. Scattered about are ordinary household objects, as if someone were in haste to secure those items of most importance.

If there be a way to engage the attention of Eos, as suggested by Lepus, the manner in which this might be accomplished is not immediately evident, given that interaction with deities lies somewhat outside the field of hedge magic.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Having spent some time in the hut, even if not in her right mind, Eliza tries to picture the scattered objects in their places and reason out what may be missing.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus pokes around the hut for anything of interest.

“I know not how to invoke the goddess,” he says conversationally. “Though mayhap calling for her at daybreak might suffice; she being the goddess of dawn, yesno?”

Once he has finished searching, he will mooch outside, looking for tracks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I suppose it is worth a try," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Having spent some time in the hut, even if not in her right mind, Eliza tries to picture the scattered objects in their places and reason out what may be missing.
Spoiler:
int = 9[dice]0[/dice]
If there is order to this chaos, Eliza is unable to determine what it might be.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Lepus pokes around the hut for anything of interest.
]
Spoiler:
wis = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Hidden in a tall clay jar with two handles and a narrow neck are several small bronze coins, evidently of great age.
“I know not how to invoke the goddess,” he says conversationally. “Though mayhap calling for her at daybreak might suffice; she being the goddess of dawn, yesno?”

Once he has finished searching, he will mooch outside, looking for tracks.
Spoiler:
tracking requires wis - 10 = 8, but + 2 for infrequently traveled area = 10[dice]1[/dice]
The hermit, in apparent haste, made no attempt to conceal his movements. By following the disturbed flora of the moors, it is apparent that he first made stop at the ruins of Duncan's Cairn, then, from thence, proceeded to the south side of the Highdark estate.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: "I suppose it is worth a try," says Henry.
There remains the question of what type of ceremony might prove pleasing to the alleged deity. There is time to consider the question, as the otherwise pleasant gathering at Highdark Hall interrupted in so frightful a manner, it is now late in the afternoon.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I have found the knave’s trail,” announces Lepus.

“Though it grows dark, shall us rush to the attack or stay our hands? Mayhap there be a classical scholar among the assembled guests who might advise us,” he muses, idly inspecting the coins as he does so.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Eliza visibly restrains herself from rushing after the hermit there and then - instead she says, "We dealt with his previous attack, and that was when preparation and surprise were on his side."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We dealt with it, yes," says Henry, "but he escaped. We need to make sure he doesn't do that again. I think we may want to talk to a scholar and find a way to contact the goddess first. If she can get through to him, he will not flee."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is deemed a wise idea for all to get a good night's rest before undertaking any further action. The other guests having taken their leave, no doubt with many a tale to tell, the manor home is, for the nonce, at peace.

Not so for all who reside therein. For, as is related during a light breaking of fast, Lady Highdark admits to enduring a series of disturbing dreams, the exact nature of which is not fit for open discussion. No others report such an experience, save Harold, the eldest son of the Altumbers. (Said person, by the by, also making inquiry as to under what circumstances Eliza would be willing to pose for portraiture, the Highdark heir fancying himself something of an artist.)

Arrangements are made to secure an interview with a learned antiquary, cognizant of Attic rituals. That personage residing at some distance from the estate, sending message to him and then awaiting his arrival requires a full day of patience, during which the adventurers may engage in such action as they please.

Upon examination of the old coins, they prove to be that small denomination known as obols, and show signs of having been exposed to water for an extended period.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I would be delighted to pose for you," Eliza says to Harold. "Perhaps while we await the scholarly gentleman, if that is sufficient time?"

In private she asks Dr North and Lepus whether they think the hermit could be responsible for these dreams - "though I do not know why he should afflict the family and not us."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Having examined the coins, Lepus carefully pockets them, promising to return them to Charon should he ever encounter the ferryman.

His grubby ears pick up at the mention of dreams.

"Didst thy father also suffer from such things my lord?" he asks Lord Highdark. "Mayhap such a thing passes from father to son? Oh! I have heard tell that often a mesmerist can reveal long forgotten dreams."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He may be responsible," says Henry, "though with all the strange occurrences around here, it could have some other source. I could attempt the technique of mesmerism to help someone recall forgotten dreams, if the subject is willing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Withdrawing with Eliza into a room which currently serves as an artist's studio, Harold rummages through a mare's nest of curious objects, discarding many to one side without much care for order, and selecting those few he deems appropriate. After some time engaged in this activity, he offers these to his chosen model. These prove to be a stuffed owl, an olive branch bearing a few fruits (shriveled with age, it seems), a shield covered with the skin of a hairy animal of some sort, and a wooden spear tipped with a bronze head.

"I shall entitle this work Athena Parthenos," he declaims.

Moving to a large chest in one corner of the room, he reaches inside, throwing out all manner of fanciful garb, until he discovers what appears to be a long, loose, sleeveless garment of simple design, ivory in color.

"Array yourself. I shall return after sufficient time has passed to allow you to be entirely pleased with your appearance," he remarks, indicating a tall mirror standing near his easel and paints. He leaves the room with a bow.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lady Highdark agrees to be mesmerized, but Harold prefers not to undergo the procedure.

Doctor North induces a trance through the alignment of her flows of animal magnetism, this procedure involving regular movements of his hands over her person. Once in this state, she speaks in a voice lower than is her norm.

"Cotytto! Mistress of wild places! I come to thee! I come!"

With this pronouncement, she falls into unconsciousness, but is easily roused. Questioned as to the reason for her outburst, she denies memory, but is observed to be blushing, a phenomenon not often associated with that worldly and sophisticated lady.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Having examined the coins, Lepus carefully pockets them, promising to return them to Charon should he ever encounter the ferryman.

His grubby ears pick up at the mention of dreams.

"Didst thy father also suffer from such things my lord?" he asks Lord Highdark. "Mayhap such a thing passes from father to son? Oh! I have heard tell that often a mesmerist can reveal long forgotten dreams."
All present, save for Harold and Lady Highdark, deny being subject to nightmares, save on rare occasions, and are not familiar with such being common among their ancestors.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Argh, I misread the above and thought it was Lord, not Lady Highdark who had the dreams.  
Lepus ponders the information elicited. He draws Dr. North aside.

“Mayhap the dreams are sent to those of a passionate disposition? The young heir be a man of strong feelings and temperament and the mistress of the house... mayhap our old soldier friend would attest to her vices... Be there a temple to Cotytto in the grounds? She be a goddess of carnal passion, yesno?”

Return to “Ghastly Affair”