Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eighth: A Brace of Conundr

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus agrees to take the vicar to see the child, pausing only to obtain a piece of raw meat from a kitchen, food stall or somesuch.

“Mayhap thou couldst baptise the child Henrietta, in honour of her father,” he says conversationally along the way, figuring that if she does indeed take on the characteristics of her namesake, then a brave person of Gypsy blood would would prove advantageous in later life.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
William,You are drawn into the woods by the tempting beauty, who quickly throws her arms around you. Before things can go any further, however, three young Gypsy men jump out from where they have been hiding, brandishing knives. At the same time, the woman slaps you across the face and begins shouting angrily in her own language. One of the men says "So you think to dishonor our sister? For that you must pay!" There have been the remains of fawns found in the deer park, apparently slain and devoured by a wild beast.
Vicki,Which order are these incidents coming in? Is the dance before or after our excursion to the crime scene? Anyway, William answers, "[color=#800000]I would contest that my intentions were dishonourable. And I presume you fellows know better than to murder one of Lord Highdark's guests while on his land, especially one who seeks to clear you of a death of which you are already suspected, and thus this display is meant merely to frighten me. Nevertheless, you have played me well,[/color]" nodding to the girl, "[color=#800000]so I shall indeed pay.[/color]" With that he offers some coins to all four of the Gypsies.
"We should darken our lanterns as we approach," says William. "The firelight will hide us from those nearby."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry nods and does as instructed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus agrees to take the vicar to see the child, pausing only to obtain a piece of raw meat from a kitchen, food stall or somesuch.

“Mayhap thou couldst baptise the child Henrietta, in honour of her father,” he says conversationally along the way, figuring that if she does indeed take on the characteristics of her namesake, then a brave person of Gypsy blood would would prove advantageous in later life.
The Reverend Mister Frye responds to this suggestion with little more than a "hmm" or two, evidently lost in thought. Once welcomed into the manor home, he explains that he wished to extend greetings of the season, and to make inquiry of the infant's well being. (Such statements being entirely truthful, while not referring to the further purpose of the visit, thus sparing the clergyman's conscience while leaving the sensibilities of the Altumbers undisturbed.)

Young Artemis is discovered, as is not unusual, in her mother's arms. Upon the arrival of the visitors, she climbs out of Georgina's embrace, makes her way to Lepus, and grabs at the pocket of his cloak with her tiny hand.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
William,You are drawn into the woods by the tempting beauty, who quickly throws her arms around you. Before things can go any further, however, three young Gypsy men jump out from where they have been hiding, brandishing knives. At the same time, the woman slaps you across the face and begins shouting angrily in her own language. One of the men says "So you think to dishonor our sister? For that you must pay!" There have been the remains of fawns found in the deer park, apparently slain and devoured by a wild beast.
Vicki,Which order are these incidents coming in? Is the dance before or after our excursion to the crime scene? Anyway, William answers, "[color=#800000]I would contest that my intentions were dishonourable. And I presume you fellows know better than to murder one of Lord Highdark's guests while on his land, especially one who seeks to clear you of a death of which you are already suspected, and thus this display is meant merely to frighten me. Nevertheless, you have played me well,[/color]" nodding to the girl, "[color=#800000]so I shall indeed pay.[/color]" With that he offers some coins to all four of the Gypsies.
William,Assume all of this happened after the initial investigation, but before going to the Deer Park. In any case, the Gypsies are completely mollified by the sight of the coins, snatching them up and rushing back to the camp of their own kind. It is probable that this is a scheme that they have worked upon outsiders more than once in the past.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry nods and does as instructed.
Spoiler:
dex rolls Henry = 11, William = 12 + 1 for Soldier/Dangerous Situation = 13[dice]235817:0[/dice]
Given the fact that the ravages of winter's fury have left many twigs and branches scattered about the Deer Park, it is not very surprising to discover that moving silently is difficult. Doctor North produces only the very quiet sound resulting from walking among dead leaves, but, as Fate would have it, William, despite his experience in approaching the enemy with stealth, steps on a dry branch, producing a cracking noise that, in the dead of night, seems as loud as a pistol shot.

The figure near the fire stands, outlined against the flames only as a silhouette of great size. A deep, loud voice is heard, crying "Who approaches? Who dares disturb my woeful existence?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As the babes crawls towards him, Lepus whispers aside to Reverend Frye.

“Observe. Be this the behaviour of a Christian suckling babe?”

He tosses the raw bloody meat a short distance from the child.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My apologies, sir," says Henry. "We were trying not to disturb you. I am Dr. Henry North, Earl of Dunwich, and my companion here is Captain William Palliser. Perhaps we can be of assistance to you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"He speaks far more fluently than did the creature we seek," says William quietly. More loudy he adds, "And with whom do we have the honour of conversing?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
As the babes crawls towards him, Lepus whispers aside to Reverend Frye.

“Observe. Be this the behaviour of a Christian suckling babe?”

He tosses the raw bloody meat a short distance from the child.
As expected, the infant quickly snatches the morsel and devours it eagerly, producing low, breathy sounds within her throat.

Georgina, observing this, merely smiles and says "What a fine appetite she has! She shall grow sound of wind and limb."
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The Reverend Mister Frye is not so sanguine. In point of fact, he grows sickly pale, closes his eyes, and drops into a swoon. Once revived with spirits of ammonia, he is shown to a chair, where he reclines awkwardly, muttering to himself. "Such teeth! Surely this is devil's work. I must prepare to perform the rite of exorcism."

These statements are met with disapproval by the mother of the child, who cuddles Artemis in her arms, and insists that there is no need for such Papery.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When the pair of adventurers have announces themselves, the figure retreats to the opposite side of the fire, so that its form is blurred by the dancing of the flames.

"Approach no closer! To gaze upon my person is to know such disfigurement as would freeze the blood within your veins. I, most solitary and despised of creatures, cling to my weary existence, though I despair of finding even a single moment of rest. I warn you! I would destroy rather than be destroyed, for I fear oblivion even more than I loathe life."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus scowls, not expecting such an over-reaction.

“Calm thyself Reverend; canst thou see thou art alarming the parents?”

Suspecting that talk of fae curses and wotnot will further alarm the vicar, he tries a little bamboozlement.

“Didst not the Bishop of Hereford write that exorcism if one so young can actually attract further devilment? ‘twas from his work that old Lepus got the idea of re-baptising yonder babe. Such a noble thing could be done here and now.”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Neither of us are strangers to sights that freeze the bood," says William. "We are seeking information, which you may have. Pray allow us to converse with you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have seen many things that you might not even be able to imagine," says Henry. "We would like to help you, if we can."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus scowls, not expecting such an over-reaction.

“Calm thyself Reverend; canst thou see thou art alarming the parents?”

Suspecting that talk of fae curses and wotnot will further alarm the vicar, he tries a little bamboozlement.

“Didst not the Bishop of Hereford write that exorcism if one so young can actually attract further devilment? ‘twas from his work that old Lepus got the idea of re-baptising yonder babe. Such a noble thing could be done here and now.”
Spoiler:
cha = 12; you have a large number of afflictions that should reduce this, but I'll just treat them like one, and subtract 3 = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Drawing himself up to his full height, the Reverend Mister Frye looks down his rather long and pointed nose and replies "I happen to be acquainted with the Right Reverend Folliott Cornewall, and I doubt one of his unsullied piety and reputation would deign to discuss theology with a person such as yourself. Think not to advise upon that subject, and I shall refrain from offering any opinions regarding beggary and ragpicking. Good day, sir!"

With that remark, he bows to Georgina and withdraws, perhaps to engage in preparations for the rite he suggested, albeit without the approval of the infant's mother.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Moving about the fire in such manner as to reveal his form to vision, the figure is revealed to be a hulking giant, far taller and broader than is common, dressed in rough clothing that seems to have been assembled, catch-as-may-can, from various mismatched bits of raiment. His face is pale and doughy, with features that appear as if they were formed from clay by an unskilled potter. His limbs are thick and heavy, huge hands with stubby fingers and equally large feet wrapped in rags.

"Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Muttering unpleasant things about the reverend and vicars in general, Lepus attempts to try, probably in vain, to counter the curse himself in the way he would remove gypsy curses.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

William's instinct is to ask whether this wretched being is responsible for the constable's death, but he forces himself to begin with a different question: "How did you come to be here? Are you one of Miss Ravenscroft's creations?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I have seen worse," says Henry. "At any rate, I judge a man not by his outward appearance, but by what he has in his heart."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Muttering unpleasant things about the reverend and vicars in general, Lepus attempts to try, probably in vain, to counter the curse himself in the way he would remove gypsy curses.
Lepus,There is no apparent effect upon the feline-like infant, nor, for that matter, on the babyish cat. However, an unanticipated phenomenon occurs, seemingly within the brain of the hedge wizard. It seems as if a voice, familiar from a previous encounter, fills his head. [i]free me and i shall undo this enchantment if you desire it the man of arms also may have his wish if he aids in my escape [/i]

Return to “Ghastly Affair”