Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Vincent:
Spoiler:
moonlight; 1 = new moon, 28 = full moon, other numbers in between[dice]0[/dice]

The moon is a little more than half full, providing sufficient light to make one's way along the well-marked path to the Hedge Maze. If one were to leave the path for the woods, of course, finding one's way would prove more difficult.

The Frenchman first passes by the stables and carriage house.

dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]

The sound of his footsteps upon the gravel path draws the attention of someone nearby.

"Who's there? Who's there, I say!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"It was impossible not to overhear Lady Highdark's question to you regarding her younger daughters. However it was fair Georgina who summoned me here - you understand of course, that there was no shameful purpose behind her entreaty, and that her desire for aid should not be misconstrued. But I confess that I am a man of the here and now, and somewhat out of my depth." William relates what Georgina told him, relying on His Lordship's discretion. "I have heard such illnesses of the mind may run in families. I would not like to think there is a connection between Georgina's fears and what you have been called upon to investigate. And yet I cannot bring to mind any other explanation beyond youthful fancy. And if so, it seems you might be better able to aid her than I."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Vincent:
Spoiler:
Vincent strikes a jovial tone. "Sacre bleu! Can a guest of his lordship not go for an innocent walk in the moonlight?" Under his breath he mutters a few syllables, prepared to sway things should hostilities ensue.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure of the usage of the Beguile spell from the manual but if appropriate it seems to give a Charisma boost. Also, let me know if the cheesy French-isms get too much for you.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:Vincent:
Spoiler:
Vincent strikes a jovial tone. "Sacre bleu! Can a guest of his lordship not go for an innocent walk in the moonlight?" Under his breath he mutters a few syllables, prepared to sway things should hostilities ensue.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure of the usage of the Beguile spell from the manual but if appropriate it seems to give a Charisma boost. Also, let me know if the cheesy French-isms get too much for you.
Spoiler:
Yep, that's exactly correct. And the Frenchisms are fine.
CHA = 9 + 3 for Beguile = 12[dice]0[/dice]

The speaker emerges from his hiding place near the carriage house. He is a fellow no longer in his youth, armed with a pistol.

"Oh, yes, indeed, sir! Beg your pardon, I do. There's been thieves about, you see, and I'm to keep watch.
Please continue on your way, sir."

The path winds its way near the apple orchard.

WIS = 11[dice]1[/dice]

Vincent has the idea that something might have passed through the orchard recently, judging by the stirring of branches that has just ceased; but whatever it might have been, hare or merely the breeze, there is no sign of it now.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Vincent:
Spoiler:
Wary after the fellow's warning of thieves, Vincent pauses by the apple orchard and performs an incantation to Detect Evil in order to determine if one of malign intent is in the vicinity.

(-1 HP)
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Wary after the fellow's warning of thieves, Vincent pauses by the apple orchard and performs an incantation to Detect Evil in order to determine if one of malign intent is in the vicinity.

(-1 HP)
Spoiler:
There is no sign that any thing, person, or creature of Evil nature has been in or near the apple orchard at any time since it was first planted.

The gravel path continues on to the Hedge Maze, and then within it, dividing immediately upon entrance into paths leading right and left.

WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]

Vincent wastes no time wandering hither and yon within the twisting paths of the Maze. He quickly spots a scrap of cloth upon the ground to the left; walking in that direction, another; and so on, leading him by the shortest possible route to the center of the Maze. There, seated upon a stone bench near a marble statue of a beckoning nymph, is a woman dressed more heavily than one would expect for a mild night of summer. She wears full cloak and gown, as well as velvet gloves, all seeming to be of a deep maroon color, as best as can be told by moonlight. Most remarkably, her face is hidden from casual inspection by a veil of sheer fabric, through which only the outline of her features can be seen in such light. Upon Vincent's appearance, she holds out a handkerchief, from which, it is evident, the small piece of cloth have been torn. She does not yet speak or rise.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Vincent:
Spoiler:
"Enchanté, madame," Vincent says with a short bow. "How may I be of service?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
"Enchanté, madame," Vincent says with a short bow. "How may I be of service?"
Spoiler:
The woman rises and approaches, still holding out the handkerchief. As she nears, enough of her features can be made out to reveal the striking contrast between her pure black hair and very pale skin, and that her countenance is of rare beauty, even thus half-hidden.

When close enough, a strange scent, suggestive of the perfumes of the Orient, rises from the handkerchief. CHA = 11 + 3 = 14[dice]0[/dice]

Just for a moment, Vincent feels an unexplained desire to submit to the woman's will. The feeling quickly passes. He realizes that the sensation is similar to his own ability to Beguile, but that it has no magical basis; nor has it had its intended effect.

The woman cries out, in a low voice, "Failure! Why must I be cursed with failure?" She runs off, intending to flee the Hedge Maze, obviously in a state of frenzied melancholy.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Vincent:
Spoiler:
"Madame!" Unsure of what just transpired, Vincent gives chase.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Doctor North and Captain Palliser are awakened in the night by the sound of a woman sobbing loudly outside. For the moment, this remains a mystery, although they will soon learn what has transpired during their slumber. Being of chivalrous nature, they will of course rush to the windows of the rooms and see if they can determine what is the matter.

What has occurred, they will later be informed, is this. The woman rushed away from the Hedge Maze in a state of agitated sorrow. Her heavy gown prevented her from escaping entirely from Monsieur de Labrousse, who only wishes to help her, although it was a long and difficult chase. As it was, she was able to reach the west side of the manor house, where she made movements as if she intended to climb the outside wall. Seeing the Frenchman close behind, she abandoned this effort, and ran around the back of the house, leading her pursuer a less-than-merry chase, finally falling to the ground on the east side of the house, below the guest rooms on the third floor. Here she remains, wailing and moaning incoherently.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

William is used to keeping track of direction and proceeds to descend by the direct route to reach the stricken woman's location.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry also hurries downstairs to see what assistance he can render, bringing his medical case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Once the situation is explained to the new arrivals, Doctor North begins an examination.
Spoiler:
With INT = 16 + 3 for Profession + 1 for Scientific Knowledge, only 20 fails to diagnose, and just barely.[dice]0[/dice]
Although the process of diagnosis proves difficult, mostly due to the woman's agitation, inability to communicate, and lack of co-operation, Doctor North is finally able to determine that she is suffering from a state of both extreme excitability and extreme melancholy; a most dangerous combination indeed. A full cure would require several months of rest and isolation, accompanied by multiple sessions of induced purging of black bile. For the moment, it might be possible to restore the victim to a communicative state through the use of sedating nostrums administered in a tranquil environment, although this is a treacherous procedure, not without risk.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Ah, my poor cherie," Vincent says sadly. "Even though I believe she attempted to trick me, such sorrow brings a tear to my own eye and to my heart." Gently he takes the perfumed handkerchief from her. "She can have my guest room for the night; I will sleep in the servant's quarters if necessary."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry tells the others his diagnosis, and the possible risks involved in bringing her to her senses quickly. "Do you know who she is?" he asks. "Whoever is responsible for her should make that decision, either her parents, or, if she is married, her husband, for she is in no condition to decide anything for herself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Vincent notices that the handkerchief still bears the unmistakable aroma of the strange perfume.

None of the guests have ever seen this woman before. Her ravings have subsided to an appreciable degree, probably due to simple exhaustion. It would be possible to transport her without rousing the interest of anyone indoors, if so desired. (There are, by the way, a sufficient number of guest rooms on the third floor to provide the woman with her own accommodations, without requiring Vincent to vacate his own.) On the other hand, perhaps the guests would prefer to wake a servant, or even one of the family, to see if this person is known to them.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I shall convey her inside," says WIlliam. "She may still need your care, Your Lordship, which leaves it to you Monsiuer to rouse one of the footmen to discern whether she is a member of the household."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Vincent considers. "I think, Capitaine, it may be best not to alert those in the house to her presence until she can explain herself to us. She has suggested in her secret messages that there are enemies here at Highdark Hall and whether they are also our enemies remains to be seen, non?" He shows the perfumed handkerchief to Doctor North. "This substance is chemical not magickal, Docteur. Perhaps a, how do you say, analysis can tell us more?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

""I see the sense in that Monsieur."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”