Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

This appears to be a strategy of great virtue. It remains to be seen who shall undertake it, at what times, and in what manner concealed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can stay with her during most or all of the day," says Henry. "That wouldn't look unusual, as I am caring for her and trying to treat her condition. Perhaps the best time to spring our trap is when I finally leave. The culprit may be impatient after waiting for hours for me to step out of the room and might not wait long after I'm gone, little knowing that someone else is lying in wait. The compartment housing the head would be a good hiding place, as it seems designed for concealment."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila concurs with this idea. "Given the compartment's small size it would need to be myself or Ines concealed there."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines expresses willingness, though she visibly shivers at the thought of spending the night with the demonic head.
OOC:   See also my comment in the OOC thread.  
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The two valiant ladies agree to take turns concealed within the secret chamber, which may be kept just slightly ajar, in order to observe any skulduggery which may occur during the night, this being a tedious and difficult task which would greatly try the patience of a single individual.
Spoiler:
1 = Ines 2 = Miss Davenport[dice]0[/dice]
At some point during the time when Ines keeps watch over the gloomy interior of Mrs Piper's bedchamber, lit only by moonlight penetrating the single window, a most peculiar event occurs. From the ceiling, through a small aperture which opens silently, a length of twine descends. At its end is tied a stone about the size of an infant's palm. It is lowered until it is just above Mrs Piper's forehead, where it remains for a time. Afterwards, it is raised from whence it came, there being no other evidence that it was ever there.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

As soon as the aperture is closed Ines steels quickly out of the room and alerts the rest of the company. The miscreant must be in the space above the room, or just leaving it, and may be intercepted - she wonders if she should have tried to cut the twine and take the stone, but at least the culprit will be unaware.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Peculiar, indeed. Let us proceed quietly in order not to warn them of our coming. Can we identify which chamber lies directly above?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Silent investigation reveals that the object descended from an attic, in an area directly above Mrs Piper's bedchamber. By the dim, wavering light of a candle, it can be seen that a complex clockwork mechanism controls the peculiar device's movements, as well as the sliding back and forth of the small aperture from whence it came. As of yet, it does not seem that anyone else is aware of the party's activities; apparently all other persons are sound asleep.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I could probably sabotage the mechanism," says Henry, examining it. "I could just prevent it from opening - or maybe also cause it to make a loud noise when someone attempts to open it. Of course, now that we know that the miscreant uses the attic, we can hide there tomorrow night and catch the fiend. Still, there may be things we can do tonight. Whoever did this is likely to still be awake, and Crayle is my first suspect. We can see if he's in his room and whether or not he is clothed and awake, though that may arouse his suspicions."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"If the clockwork device is cleverly automated then perhaps the perpetrator does not need to be awake nor even to come up here in person," Lila suggests. "Can you ascertain if this is the case? If so, we can at least as you say disable it in order to spare Mrs. Piper from more harm even if we cannot expose the fiend. I should like to know what this strange stone is, though, and how it could cause such effects." She peers closely at the object in question.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The small stone is of a black color with a metallic luster, and appears to consist of an assemblage of octahedral crystals.

The clockwork mechanism can be seen to be extraordinarily complex, even upon casual examination.

Obtaining any further information that this, or attempting to obtain the stone or disable the mechanism, would require great stealth to avoid producing an appreciable amount of noise. The same may be said of an attempt to observe the bedchamber of Mr Crayle, or, for that matter, any other member of the household.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If I were to sabotage the mechanism, or simply remove the stone, we'd risk making a lot of noise," says Henry. "It would require incredible stealth. Perhaps you should try, Miss Davenport, and I could walk you through what you would need to do."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila agrees. "Let us attempt to retrieve the stone so that it can be studied further."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
DEX = 18; I don't think the True Innocent would be close enough during this expedition into a remote and secluded place to warrant the bonus point.[dice]0[/dice]
The intended excursion is accomplished skillfully, Miss Davenport moving, as the saying goes, as quietly as a church mouse. She returns to her companions with the stone in hand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done," says Henry. "We can examine the stone in privacy. I should be able to determine something of its physical properties, and in the meantime it will cause Mrs. Piper no further harm. It may be harmful to us, though, so we had best be careful with it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Does this machine remind anyone else of Roterstein's works?" asks Ines.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

While the others contemplate that provocative question, Doctor North is easily able to determine that the object is a lodestone, obvious from its affinity for iron and steel. It appears to be an unusually powerful sample of that extraordinary mineral, judging from the difficulty he has pulling his surgical instruments away from its grip. As to its purpose as part of the curious device discovered, that is not so clear.

Mrs Piper continues in her fragile condition, neither worse not better.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The thought had crossed my mind as well," says Henry. "The alternative is that there's another fiendish, brilliant inventor around. Of course, whenever he comes up with a name for himself, it's always some translation or variation of 'red stone.' I'd recognize him if I saw him again - and vice versa. This stone is a lodestone, similar to one I have in my possession from that cabinet of curiosities, but this one is far stronger. Magnetism may affect the human body in unknown ways. Blood contains iron, after all. This may have been the cause of Mrs. Piper's condition, though she is not improving with it removed. Still, at least she is no worse, and she may improve with time. We may want to stake out the attic, in case the culprit returns to check on the device when it no longer functions. We could also ask further questions of the head, for whatever that's worth."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I have been wondering why anyone would wish harm to befall Mrs. Piper. Since she has no great material wealth to obtain it strikes me that possession of the Brazen Head is the likely goal of the perpetrator."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think you must be right," says Henry. "If we could get a look at her will, we could see who she intended to get the Brazen Head."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”