Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eighth: A Brace of Conundr

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done, Ivan!" says Henry. "Hand the urn to Lepus so that he can properly dispose of it. That was a close call." He nods to William. "It has a limited number of uses before it must be recharged, but there are still at least a couple left."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The injured creature, having no appetite for further battle, continues to run off at a speed somewhat surprising for one of such great size, heading in a northwesterly direction.
Spoiler:
The Reanimated Wretch has a Speed of 10; just a little faster than the basic human speed of 9.
As if there were not yet sufficient chaos to satisfy Eris, the anguished cries of the female reanimate are heard from the east, growing ever softer as, if the sound be accepted as evidence, that being races in that direction.
Spoiler:
She has the same Speed, but is moving erratically due to her lack of knowledge, so could be caught.
Her humors already of an unstable nature, it may come as no surprise to witness Miss Ravenscroft also race away from the area, but to the west.
Spoiler:
Speed 9, so could be caught.
To add to the worries of the adventurers, there remains the question of how to ensure that the spirit within the urn does not escape, and do further mischief.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus tucks the urn into the recesses of his noisome clothes.

"Yon monster may elude us for the nonce, but the jilted bride must be caught and returned mayhap to her proper state. The mad woman too must to brought to account, for she be the author of all this."

"Old Lepus shall bury this urn in the Wormy Caves - let the evil spirit keep the bats company."

Victoria,Lepus shall wander off in the direction of the caves. However he will then divert to Tamsin's Close where, after placating it's denizens with some morsels of food, he will bury the urn in the soil among the undergrowth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That will do for now," says Henry, "but it was unearthed before and could be again. We should seek a way to dispose of it permanently later. I will pursue the female creature, but I will not harm her. She has done no wrong and is merely frightened." He hurries after her. "Come back, my child!" he calls. "Please do not leave me!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Lord Dunwich has demonstrated his ability to calm the female creature, so William will go in pursuit of Miss Ravenscroft.
Victoria,William remembers what the creature said, that a third wish will allow the spirit within to assail the world as it chooses. Without certainty that a wish of his own would count as a first instead a third that is too much of a risk to take, even for his faltering soul.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lepus,The urn is successfully buried in that place. It is noticeable that the many small creatures dwelling therein move away from the site of its interment. Whilst passing through the Back Ramble, you hear the sound of rapid hoofbeats, at some distance to the north.
Doctor North,The creature is easily caught; indeed, once in sight of her creator, she runs to him and embraces him, displaying much more strength of arm than would be expected in a member of the female sex. After whimpering a few times, she speaks, for the first time. "Fada."
William,Keeping the absconding madwoman in sight, you are able to observe that she takes refuge within a shed, located on the extreme western side of the Deer Park, adjacent to the high brick wall that surrounds the estate. In a moment, bright white light emerges from therein, through gaps in the rude structures wooden planks.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,William approaches the shed quietly and listens to what sounds may be within.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Victoria,After mumbling a number of protective cantrips and curses over the urn (having wrapped it in strands of thorns and drawn certain sigils on the sides, including the one discvovered in the cave, for good measure), [b]Lepus[/b] bids the creatures good-day, apologising for leaving such an evil thing in their care. He solemly charges them with keeping intruders away from the spot before leavingmore morsels in payment.
Intrigued, Lepus leaves the urn in it's dark home (thus away from temptation), and follows the sound of the hoofbeats. Wary, lest they be from local gentry out on the hunt, he keeps to the bushes and trees.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I suppose I am your father," says Henry, returning her hug. "The world can be a cruel place, but don't let it get you down. The people who rejected you don't appreciate you, but the problem is with them, not with you. There are people who will fear and hate you because they do not understand you. It is best that you not be seen by most until you are ready. I can teach you how to function in the world, how to be a lady. Come with me, and let us see if we can find my friends." He leads her back the way they had come. If they are not present, he will bring her to where he knows Lepus was heading, the Wormy Caves, in the hopes of meeting up with him.
Victoria,I've been planning for some time to bring in a new Monstrous Servant, a Reanimated Wretch, when I reach level 7. I needed to wait until then, as [b]Ivan[/b] takes up 2 levels, and a Reanimated Wretch is level 5. I was thinking that the female creature could fit that bill. Once we leave Highdark Hall, I can house her in my castle until such time as I gain a level, at which point she could be considered ready to interact with the world.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,William approaches the shed quietly and listens to what sounds may be within.
William,From within the structure come deep rumbling sounds, as of thunder heard from a great distance. There are also hissings and gurglings, similar to what you have no doubt heard when witnessing one skilled in the distiller's art transforming wine into brandy.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Victoria,After mumbling a number of protective cantrips and curses over the urn (having wrapped it in strands of thorns and drawn certain sigils on the sides, including the one discvovered in the cave, for good measure), [b]Lepus[/b] bids the creatures good-day, apologising for leaving such an evil thing in their care. He solemly charges them with keeping intruders away from the spot before leavingmore morsels in payment.
Intrigued, Lepus leaves the urn in it's dark home (thus away from temptation), and follows the sound of the hoofbeats. Wary, lest they be from local gentry out on the hunt, he keeps to the bushes and trees.
Lepus,You are able to detect, at the limit of vision, a figure on horseback galloping to the highest point on the part of the moors lying to the north of the estate. From there, the figure stops for some time, as if in observation. It then rides, at a more measured pace, towards the high brick wall surrounding the property, to a point just opposite to where a small shed is situated. Being so near the other side of the wall, it is then difficult to observe the figure without attempting to climb the wall, a task made more difficult by the sharp metal spikes atop it.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Yes, I suppose I am your father," says Henry, returning her hug. "The world can be a cruel place, but don't let it get you down. The people who rejected you don't appreciate you, but the problem is with them, not with you. There are people who will fear and hate you because they do not understand you. It is best that you not be seen by most until you are ready. I can teach you how to function in the world, how to be a lady. Come with me, and let us see if we can find my friends." He leads her back the way they had come. If they are not present, he will bring her to where he knows Lepus was heading, the Wormy Caves, in the hopes of meeting up with him.
Victoria,I've been planning for some time to bring in a new Monstrous Servant, a Reanimated Wretch, when I reach level 7. I needed to wait until then, as [b]Ivan[/b] takes up 2 levels, and a Reanimated Wretch is level 5. I was thinking that the female creature could fit that bill. Once we leave Highdark Hall, I can house her in my castle until such time as I gain a level, at which point she could be considered ready to interact with the world.
Doctor North,The creature clings steadfastly to you, expressing inarticulate grief whenever not by your side. Otherwise, she is content to follow wheresoever you may lead. It is a curious fact that, taking the most direct path to the Wormy Caves, there is no sign of Lepus to be found; nor, indeed, that anyone has passed by that area for some time.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,Reasoning that Miss Ravenscroft may have bolted the door to the shed and not wishing to warn her by trying it, William draws his remaining pistol and kicks at the door intending to break it open.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Feeling mischievous, Lepus tosses a clod of earth over the wall at the point he reckons the horse rider to be, listening out for any reaction.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Seeing that Lepus is nowhere in sight, Henry goes with the creature back in the direction that leads to where they had parted at the deer park, hoping that he will find him somewhere along the route that Lepus should be taking. He has a better idea of where to put the urn anyway. Where better to keep it than the secret chamber in his castle that houses the Brazen Head, an object that must remain hidden until the end of time, guarded by a tireless golem?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Feeling mischievous, Lepus tosses a clod of earth over the wall at the point he reckons the horse rider to be, listening out for any reaction.
The response is a few muttered curse words, too low to make out in detail, in a deep voice. There is also the sound of digging.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,Reasoning that Miss Ravenscroft may have bolted the door to the shed and not wishing to warn her by trying it, William draws his remaining pistol and kicks at the door intending to break it open.
William,Let's try a STR check. STR = 12[dice]0[/dice] The door proves to be quite a solid one, and apparently latched shut. William's actions produce little effect save to produce a loud noise. "Who's there? Stay away, if you value your life!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Seeing that Lepus is nowhere in sight, Henry goes with the creature back in the direction that leads to where they had parted at the deer park, hoping that he will find him somewhere along the route that Lepus should be taking. He has a better idea of where to put the urn anyway. Where better to keep it than the secret chamber in his castle that houses the Brazen Head, an object that must remain hidden until the end of time, guarded by a tireless golem?
Wending their way back from whence they came, this curious pair of wanderers discovers a set of recent footprints, breaking away from the point where intersecting paths meet between the kennels and the Huntsman's Cottage. Where Doctor North and his charge went east, Lepus obviously headed north.

As they pass near the kennels, the hounds therein produce a loud howling, eliciting much cursing from the cottage. The female creature exhibits much fright at the sound, clinging close to her creator. She grows more calm as they continue north, but then expresses inarticulate anxiety as they travel upon the part of the Back Ramble nearest the high brick wall that surrounds the estate.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

His interest piqued Lepus elects to scramble up the wall to see who is grubbing about the other side. If he cannot manage this feat on his own, he will summon his unseen servant to give him a leg-up.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
William,Let's try a STR check. STR = 12[dice]237524:0[/dice] The door proves to be quite a solid one, and apparently latched shut. William's actions produce little effect save to produce a loud noise. "Who's there? Stay away, if you value your life!"
Vicki,Trying to cover this rather embarassing development, William calls through the door, "[color=#800000]It is Captain Palliser. Open the door - this night's business is not done.[/color]"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”