Page 1 of 1

Book the Second, Chapter the Second: An Unexpected Arrival

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Book the Second, Chapter the Second: An Unexpected Arrival; Or, The Ensorcelled Heir

Taken by surprise by the sudden appearance of this remarkable individual, the adventurers are struck dumb for a moment. They may also be struck by the person's obvious lack of cleanliness, which assaults the senses with a distasteful miasma.
Spoiler:
roll for Georgina's CHA[dice]0[/dice]
For a moment Georgina seems to be on the point of falling into a swoon from the distasteful sensation, but is able to recover her senses sufficiently to remain conscious.

"Whosoever you may be," she cries,"if you can lift this dreadful affliction Papa will be sure to reward you richly! And, oh, what has become of my dear Henry!"

It is true that there is no sign of the foundling. It is evident that Georgina is in a state of distress, torn between sorrow for her brother and fear for Henry.

Meanwhile, the twins examine the new arrival with great curiosity, walking around him and holding their doll up as if to examine him.

"You are a funny--

"little man. Poppy--

"says she knows--

"you from--

"somewhere."

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Second: An Unexpected Arri

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 am
by jp1885

The fact that a child's doll might know Lepus doesn't seem at all strange to the fellow. He bows low once more, doffing his tricorne to the twins.

"Hehe perhaps we have met before my little ones. Good morrow Poppy, mayhap we can chitchatchitchat in a while hm?"

Suddenly he straightens up and points at Harold.

"But first the curse! Let old Lepus see what he can do..."

He treats the bewildered youth to what he thinks is a reassuring grin, but is probably more like an unsettling leer. Keeping his arm outstretched, he works his bony fingers into complex patterns, muttering unfathomable words as he attempts to undo the curse.

As he gibbers, the more solid parts of his mind know that his powers will have to be stronger than that of this Henry. Hopefully the foundling's soft life indoors will have taken the edge off his vexing.
Victoria,Lepus will use his Gypsy abilities to try to remove Henry's curse, which if I've read the rules correctly, can be attempted by a Gypsy of higher level. I'm hoping that Henry is a 'minus' level, having lived in the big house for so long.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:49 pm
by SunlessNick
William finds himself stunned by the sudden arrival of this apparition, and even more so by the fact of allowing him to intervene in Harold's distress.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's make the attempt to lift the curse dependent on a WIS roll, which is very likely to succeed.[dice]0[/dice]
The words and gestures of the mysterious new arrival seem to have a salubrious effect upon the young man. He shakes his head and blinks his eyes, in the manner of one awakening from a vivid dream. He does not appear to be aware of what has occurred during the last few moments.

"Where has that bounder run off to?" he inquires, evidently referring to Henry. "The coward! He is in need of a good thrashing, by Heaven!"

Torn between joy at her brother's recovery of his senses, and distress at the loss of one dear to her, Georgina falls to her knees.

"You must not harm him!" she cries. "I love him!"

His face turning a frightening shade of deep red at this confession, Harold trembles with rage. As if he feels the need to direct his wrath at another, he faces Lepus.

"Are we to have all manner of beggars invade our home with their foul ways? Be off with you, man!"

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:52 am
by SunlessNick
"That man just healed your mind," says William to Harold. "I do not understand it, but none here can deny it. Let me help you - we should get you inside."

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am
by jp1885

Lepus takes a couple of steps backwards, thrusting his hands deep into his pockets.

"Pssht! I told you they wouldn't want my help. All Lepus asks for is a plate of scraps and a warm corner for the night, but are they grateful?"

He cocks his head, as if listening to some distant reply.

"Yesyesyes, but... Hmm... mayhap you are right..." He waves his arms as if dismissing an unsaid answer before lowering his head and glowering at Harold. "Or mayhap I should return the curse, hmm?"

Suddenly all trace of malice disappears from his expression. He chuckles, dancing a little jig.

"A foolish notion yesno? Such anger does not become the young gentleman, but if he wishes old Lepus to leave, then so be it, but poor old Lepus has been sent to help so he has."

He winks at the twins.

"Miss Polly knows this hmm?"

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Pshaw!" Harold exclaims. "Healed my mind indeed! There is nothing at all wrong with it, I assure you, that would require the questionable services of a mountebank."

It is evident that he recalls nothing about his temporary affliction.

"However," he continues, "as my sister possesses a tender heart, I suppose we can allow the fellow to find a scrap or two in the servants' quarters. Come inside, dear Georgina, and think no more of the scoundrel our father so foolishly took into our home."

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for you timely aid, stranger," says Henry, bowing to Lepus and trying not to inhale too deeply. "I am Dr. Henry North, thirteenth Earl of Dunwich. Your servant, sir."

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:07 am
by jp1885

Lepus lunges forward and grasps Henry's hands in greeting, no doubt to the good Doctor's discomfort.

"'tis an honour to meet such a noble scholar! I am Lepus: wanderer of the world, mender of broken things and student of hidden truths."

He steps back, mercifully releasing Henry's hands. Standing up straight, he salutes William.

"And a gallant soldier too!"

When Lepus' eyes fix on Vincent, he gasps.

"And a fellow student of les artes mystique! An auspicious day indeed! Such fine gentlemen have been very kind to old Lepus. Lots of hidden truths for us to discover here hmm? Mayhap you could tell me what has transpired so far?"

He hopes that the fine gentlemen will bring him up to speed on what has happened, for the voices have only told him so much.
Victoria,I assume the twins have run off to play? Lepus is intrigued by Poppy and would like to speak to her.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 am
by Rooter
"Sacre bleu!" Vincent says, holding a perfumed handkerchief to his nose and following the others inside.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Sorry Rooter, I thought Vincent was resting in the house. I'll edit my post above to include him.  

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Intrigued by this new arrival, as they are always in search of amusement, the twins, who have, willy-nilly, the run of the house, accompany Lepus to the servants' kitchen, where he receives a simple but nourishing meal.

"Poppy say you--

"may talk to her but--

"you must discover--

"how."

Meanwhile, in the main house, Harold seeks out Lord Highdark, making no secret of his intent that Henry be disowned and declared outlaw, accusing the foundling of an attack on him, and of attempted seduction of Georgina; this latter charge tearfully and shamefully denied by her, although, being of an honest nature, she must confess that, on occasion, they have gone off together unchaperoned.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:25 pm
by SunlessNick
Harold's meeting with Lord Highdark is of course a family affair on which William caanot intrude. However, he addresses his fellow guests on the same subject. "As I said to the young Master Altumber, it cannot be denied that this Lepus here healed his affliction. Equally, it cannot be denied that the foundling boy was the cause of it. We must find him before he can work any more mischief." (Better minds will have to discern whether Georgina's declaration plays any role in this assertion).

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:31 pm
by jp1885

While the fine folk debate in the main house, Lepus is ensconced in a corner of the lowly kitchen, being studiously ignored by members of the household staff. With much frowning and gurning he ponders the twins' reply.

Assuming his new best friends (whether they like it or not) have outlined their recent findings to him, he wonders whether spending a night among the druid stones might bring him into touch with Poppy.

He also considers asking his little friends and cousins, the faerie folk, for advice. But he is not sure whether such landscaped grounds would include any wild areas suitable for them to frolic, should indeed they feel like helping him at all.

After some consideration (amid much noisy mastication) he settles on an opening gambit. He grins at the twins.

"Such spirited little girls like to play games yesno? Old Lepus knows a fine game! Fetch me something - the first thing that pops into your head mind you - and bring it back to Lepus. Yesyesyes, a fine game! Run along now, fast as a hare! For when you return, old Lepus will show you a trick!"

The part of Lepus' mind that stands on firmer ground than the rest, reasons thus: if the twins are mentally linked with Poppy, then maybe their subconscious will cause them to bring back a clue to help him converse with the doll.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we must find him," says Henry. "He can't have gone far. We'll be better able to catch him up if we're on horseback. It seems I'm destined to spend the day searching for missing children."

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
William's tracking skill while on horseback = WIS 13[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Let's see if anybody else has better luck, with WIS - 10 for lack of training in tracking; highest WIS, with Lepus not yet being consulted, is 11, so I'll roll for all 3 -- Henry, Vincent, and Ivan -- and allow success if anybody gets a 1; tracking is hard![dice]1[/dice]
It seems that Henry has been careful to leave little, if any trace behind him. There being no others in the household willing to attempt to go after the foundling -- opinions among the family and servants ranging from "let him do what he will" to "none of my affair" to "good riddance," save for the heartbroken Georgina, who is in no state to be consulted, the adventurers may wish to seek the help of the mysterious Lepus, who may possess wisdom not revealed by his appearance.

Meanwhile, the twins have run off to parts unknown and returned to Lepus with an iron key, quite large and evidently not used in some time, judging by its rusty condition.

"Now you must--

"find the right--

"room and open it--

"up and speak to the--

"person inside."

Further questioning evokes only giggles from the two little girls. Evidently, however, they have somehow managed to obtain a key that opens one of the many sealed (or, perhaps, entirely secret) rooms within Highdark Hall, although the twins cannot be persuaded to reveal which one.

"That would--

"be telling and--

"would spoil the--

"fun."

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am
by jp1885

"Ah such clever monkeys!"

Twitching in his seat, Lepus thanks the twins as he secretes the key somewhere upon his person. For his promised trick...
DEX 15+1 (sleight of hand),[dice]0[/dice]Phew, only just!
...he takes the spoon he has been eating with and seemingly swallows it. Then he pulls it out of his left ear, before pushing it back in and pulling it out of his right ear, apparently passing it through his head.

Grinning, he allows the twins to go about their business before turning his attention to the key. Didn't his new friends mention a sealed area of the house? He decides to go and find them and, mumbling thanks to the servants, wanders out of the kitchen.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 am
by Rooter
Vincent has spent this time resting in his room and has just partaken of supper. "Curieuse," he says with regards to the key upon the malodorous Gypsy's arrival "The sealed areas are on the third floor, non? We have an acquaintance, Miss Ravenscroft, with a room there who may be able to help identify the door."

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry goes looking for Lepus and almost bumps into him as the strange man is seeking him. "Ah, just the fellow," says Henry. "We've had no luck trying to find the lad who ran off. I was hoping you might be able to track him down."

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 18, -10 for lack of tracking training = 8[dice]0[/dice]
Whether it be from a life spent mostly outdoors, or in some arcane manner, Lepus is able to determine that the young man has set off in the directions of the stables; upon investigation, it seems that he leapt upon the nearest steed available and rode at high speed toward the west; a direction that would eventually lead him to the wild and unexplored moors beyond the estate.

Meanwhile, discrete questioning of house servants has brought Miss Ravenscroft from her secluded room. She is filled with curiosity about what the adventurers may have discovered.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 am
by jp1885

Lepus bows so low to Miss Ravenscroft that he is practically bent double.

"What a treat for old Lepus to be introduced to such a fine lady," he mutters. "'tis an honour."

Straightening up, he grins at the assembled party.

"Hehehe, my meagre services are at your disposal, so they are. I've a mind to find the mate of this mysterious key, but will find an errant lad on the moors first if the fine company deem it so."

A keen observer may notice that, with something to focus his energies on, he does not caper and gibber so much.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we should find him first," says Henry. "The locked room has been undisturbed for some time, and it won't change if we wait a little. The lad will get further away if we don't hurry." He quickly fills Mary in on their discoveries so far.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:51 am
by jp1885

"'twill be but a trifle to find the lad, provided we don't get lost on the moors," Lepus sniffs matter-of-factly. "Moors are dangerous places, so they are. Give old Lepus a moment..."

He rummages through his clothes, producing a bone and a battered tin plate. Muttering under his breath, he places one onto the other, twisting and waggling his fingers over them. When finished, the bone floats over the plate, pointing north.

"'tis done."
OOC,Lepus embues the tin plate with Know Direction to create a level 0 talisman.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 pm
by SunlessNick
"If I hadn't seen such things..." mutters William under his breath. "We should go quickly."

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:17 pm
by Rooter
Vincent shrugs and remains seated. "This foolish man is not my concern. I say Monsieur Harold is right to defend his sister's honor, non? I will stay with Mademoiselle Ravenscroft and we will talk of secret rooms."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Leaving Vincent behind, the other adventurers procure horses and make their way across the windswept and wild moors. The roughness of the landscape makes progress slow. After some time, they catch a glimpse of Henry, standing by his own steed at the side of a cliff, the wind rustling his hair and clothes. He seems to be studying the landscape intently, even obsessively, as if it holds the key to his fate.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent shrugs and remains seated. "This foolish man is not my concern. I say Monsieur Harold is right to defend his sister's honor, non? I will stay with Mademoiselle Ravenscroft and we will talk of secret rooms."
Discovering Miss Ravenscroft in her secluded (but hardly secret) chambers in one of her frequent states of agitated melancholy, Vincent is able only to obtain a few coherent statements upon making inquiry of secret rooms.

"The attic! The attic! The screams! The things that should not be!"

At this point she falls into a faint. It will be recalled that the attic -- or, perhaps, more properly the fourth floor -- contains an open but unoccupied area to the east, a large, central locked area, two smaller locked areas to the west, and, beyond them, if one could only pass through, further areas unknown (this being evident from the extent of Highdark Hall.)

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we approach?" Henry asks his companions.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am
by jp1885

"Old Lepus is of his kind, mayhap I should approach the lad first, yesno?" Lepus whispers.

He walks casually, but carefully, towards Henry.

"'tis a fine vista hm? Fair stirs the blood of Romany folk such as us."

If Henry will allow it, he will approach the lad and bow low.

"Though, I'll wager, not as fair a view as the young lady who longs for you back at the big house - begging the fine gentleman's pardon for making so bold..."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Henry's story

"I perceive that you and I share common ancestry, although I know you not. Perhaps the Fates have brought us together so that one of my kind might know of my history, before it becomes one with the dust.

"Know, then, that my earliest memories, as hazy as wisps of morning fog that rise with the warmth of the day, are of these very moors. As a child, hardly more than an infant, I lived here, alone, like a beast. Of my progenitors, or of how I came to inhabit this wasteland without human company, or, indeed, how I survived before consciousness bloomed within my lonely skull, I know nothing. Perhaps there is some truth to the common fable of persons raised by animals as if they were their whelps. In any case, I lived as one such, and there is still much of wildness which burns in my heart.

"For many seasons I existed in this way. Rain was my drink, small creatures, devoured raw, my meat. No doubt I would have died soon, had not chance brought my pathetic existence to the attention of Lord Highdark. He took me into his home, named me, taught me the ways of men, even gave me something of an education. Whether this was done out of charity, or because my strange condition aroused his curiosity, I dare not speculate.

"Time has its way with us all. Eventually I became what you see before you. As I grew from boy to man, I found myself the object of contempt from Lord Highdark's heir, a burden I bore gladly when it was accompanied by affection from -- divine creature! -- Georgina. It was not merely her delicate beauty and refined manner, although these would easily melt the coldest heart ever to dwell upon this sad globe. No, it was her unremitting kindness to one unworthy to gaze upon her visage. God, that a damned soul should raise his eyes from Perdition, and see the countenance of an angel smile upon him! Would this not make even the flames of Hell bearable?

"I confessed my love, and, miracle beyond imagining, it was returned. As you well may think, this aroused the enmity of Harold to a pitch of unrestrained wrath, to which, to my shame, I responded with like passion. Somehow I felt the power of my ancestors rise within me, knew my nature, and used it to dissolve all recollection from his mind.

"Here I now stand, among the moors I left so long ago, pondering whether to wander the Earth until the Devil claims me for His own, or to return to Highdark Hall and face the punishment and humiliation which is what I deserve, or to hurl myself from this precipice and end an existence which has only brought misery to all."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 am
by jp1885

Lepus strokes his beard.

"'tis a sad tale..."

He grinds his teeth in concentration - this is going to take delicate tact and diplomacy...

"Blast your mewling hide! Throw yourself off then!" he yells. "Or, if you truly are of my blood, you will fight! Psssht! You loveth her, she loveth you - naught else matters! March to that big house and drag her away if need be; their fancy pantaloons be damned!"

He stamps his foot in indignation.

"Be a man, be a Roma! Aye, claim your prize and hang the consequences!"

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:15 am
by SunlessNick
"Perhaps we should have approached first after all," observes William to Lord Dunwich at the sight of this outburst. "Oh, a pox on my better angels." He rides up to the pair and says, "Return with us, lad. The harm you inflicted has been undone, and there may yet be time to heal this rift. Georgina's love for you has not dimmed."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Abashed by this accusation of cowardice, and reassured that his regrettable assault on Harold's mind has been reversed, the melancholy lad agrees to ride back to Highdark Hall with the others. Upon arrival, he requests, and is granted, a private interview with Lord Highdark. Georgina is relieved by his safe return, but prevented from speaking to him by the firm intervention of her brother, who appears barely able to control an impulse to violence.

After the interview in Lord Highdark's office, from which can be heard occasional raised voices, Henry emerges, in a state more downcast than ever.

"It is as I feared," he confesses. "Lord Highdark will admit of no connection between us. I am to leave the estate at once." He pauses, and sighs. "I would make bold to ask Georgina to escape with me, but the fierceness of Harold's defense of her honor admits of no possibility. Moreover, I could not ask her to share the life of a vagabond. Farewell, my friends. I face a long and lonely road."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 am
by SunlessNick
"My brother Sir James is the Baronet of Linton," says William. "If you present yourself there and give him my name, he may have a place for you in his service. It would be a harder life than you lived here, but it surely preferable to a vagrant's existence."

One might surmise he is perhaps motivated by guilt at the part his own actions may have played in this turn of events.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am sorry to see you go," says Henry to his namesake. "I've never been without a home myself. Even when I travel, I always have somewhere to return. I cannot imagine a vagabond's life. You may wish to consider the good captain's offer. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:08 pm
by jp1885

Lepus is not exactly well versed in matters of the heart, but even he has sympathy for Henry. Listening outside, lest he be thrown out of the fine house by it's outraged owners, he catches the lad as he leaves. Feeling that he's failed some sort of test, he attempts to make ammends.

"The fine young lady will not stay under her parent's thrall forever. Mayhap the gallant soldier William will pass his brother's address to her so that she can write, hm?"

He presses the plate and bone talisman he has recently created into the lad's hands.

"Take this - t'will stop you from getting lost; least for a short while."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Silently accepting the gift, Henry makes his way into the world, ready to present himself to the Baronet of Linton with the kindly offered recommendation of William.

Within Highdark Hall, it soon becomes clear that Georgina is inconsolable, having retreated to her room and not emerging from therein even to dine. From inside the room can be heard occasional sobs and whispered prayers.

By this time, Vincent will have no doubt reported his strange interview, if such it can be called, with Miss Ravenscroft, which would seem to raise more questions than it answers.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we see what the key unlocks now?" asks Henry.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:32 am
by SunlessNick
"Indeed," says William.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A brief time of experimentation reveals that the key, after some effort, due to the ravages of time upon the mechanism, unlatches a heavy lock that keeps the central room of the attic sealed. Within is a dark room, furnished only with the barest necessities; a small table with a carafe of water and the remnants of a simple meal of bread and cold meat, a cot with straw for bedding, and so forth. Seated upon the floor, dressed in what might have been a fine gown some decades ago, but is now little more than rags, is a woman of advanced years, muttering unintelligibly to herself. Her matted gray hair is extremely long, hiding her features from view. She does not acknowledge the arrival of the visitors.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:12 am
by SunlessNick
William's immediate reaction is to look for other entrances or rooms within the sealed area - Lord Dunwich is far more able to tend the unfortunate woman. It does not seem that this door has been recently used, but the meal must have been brought in somehow.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:10 am
by Rooter
"Bonjour, madame," Vincent says to the woman with a bow. "Forgive our intrusion. To whom do we parler, s'il vous plait?" He produces a flame from the palm of his hand to better illuminate the chamber.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 am
by jp1885

Lepus studies the disheveled figure, perhaps recognising a kindred spirit.

If she doesn't respond to the others, he will crouch down next to her and whisper:

"The doll, Poppy; 'twas she who sent us."

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I am Dr. Henry North," says Henry with a bow, "Earl of Dunwich and guest of Lord Highdark. Your servant, madam. Whom do we have the honour of addressing?" He examines the woman by the light of the flame, hoping to judge the state of her health from her appearance.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William's immediate reaction is to look for other entrances or rooms within the sealed area - Lord Dunwich is far more able to tend the unfortunate woman. It does not seem that this door has been recently used, but the meal must have been brought in somehow.
Spoiler:
WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice]
After a brief search, William is able to locate a hidden mechanism behind a cunningly disguised panel on one of the walls. Concealed thus is a small wooden box, no bigger than a man's head, attached to a cleverly constructed device of ropes and pulleys. Clearly this is designed to be raised and lowered by a person on another level of the house, in order to supply the inhabitant of the room with basic needs, and to carry away waste.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:"Bonjour, madame," Vincent says to the woman with a bow. "Forgive our intrusion. To whom do we parler, s'il vous plait?" He produces a flame from the palm of his hand to better illuminate the chamber.
The woman does not reply. Instead she scurries away, dragging herself away on hands and knees, in apparent fear of the flame.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus studies the disheveled figure, perhaps recognising a kindred spirit.

If she doesn't respond to the others, he will crouch down next to her and whisper:

"The doll, Poppy; 'twas she who sent us."
This distracts the woman from her fright, allowing Doctor North to examine her in peace.

She stares at Lepus with eyes of a gray-violet color, which no doubt were once thought of as very beautiful.

"Aye? 'Twas mine, 'fore stolen from me. Is come back, then?"

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I am Dr. Henry North," says Henry with a bow, "Earl of Dunwich and guest of Lord Highdark. Your servant, madam. Whom do we have the honour of addressing?" He examines the woman by the light of the flame, hoping to judge the state of her health from her appearance.
The woman ignores this polite inquiry, seemingly entranced by the mention of the doll. Upon examination, she appears to be in surprisingly good physical health, allowing for the normal infirmities of advanced age.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 am
by SunlessNick
"Is there no end to the secrets in this house?" asks William.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"She's around," says Henry. "She has some new friends now."

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 am
by jp1885

"Aye, she be in good company."

Lepus leans in a little closer.

"Might old Lepus know your name? Mayhap you will tell us the tale of thee and the doll?"

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The madwoman's story

"Name? Aye, I had a name once. 'Tis gone to dust now, and winds blow it hither and yon.

"Child was I when Poppy came to me, long and long ago. Spoke in angel's voice, soft as cloud and heavy as thunder. Ever by my side she was, as sun and moon ran wild and clocks spoke lies. Scores and scores of years, or might be 'twas days, went by, all blind and happy.

"Then -- oh, then! -- fire came! Fire! Fire! Died in it I did, and here I lie in my coffin, poor ghost.

"Will bring Poppy mourn at my grave, then?"

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:25 am
by jp1885

The strange woman speaks in riddles that makes Lepus' mind water, even as attuned to the weird as it is. Is she truly dead? A revenant?

While he considers his reply, he scrutinises her face. Is there any family resemblance to the Altumbers? He makes a mental note of her features, lest a portrait of the woman in happier times exists in the fine house somewhere.

"Mayhap dear lady, mayhap. I will have to ask the doll, but alas old Lepus knows not the secret of conversing with her. Know you still?"

He pauses as a thought snakes it's way through the undergrowth of his mind.

"Tell me also of the fire. Was you bound, dear lady? And the ring of stones, mean they anything to you? Knowledge of such things will help us bring Poppy to your grave."
OOC:   Edit: Oops, just went back and realised the cultists at the druid stones were hung, not burnt. Oh well, blames Lepus' imagination!  

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 am
by Rooter
Noting the woman's discomfort, Vincent snuffs out the flame light.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where is your grave?" asks Henry. "Perhaps we can bring Poppy and her friends for a visit."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 am
by SunlessNick
William tried to gauge which part of the house is below this room, at the lower end of this mechanism. Lord Highdark must be behind this imprisonment, but it remains to be seen how many others he has enlisted.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
The strange woman speaks in riddles that makes Lepus' mind water, even as attuned to the weird as it is. Is she truly dead? A revenant?

While he considers his reply, he scrutinises her face. Is there any family resemblance to the Altumbers? He makes a mental note of her features, lest a portrait of the woman in happier times exists in the fine house somewhere.
Spoiler:
int=15[dice]0[/dice]
Close scrutiny reveals the fact that the woman does, indeed, share certain distinctive features -- prominent nose and chin, et cetera -- with Lord Highdark.
"Mayhap dear lady, mayhap. I will have to ask the doll, but alas old Lepus knows not the secret of conversing with her. Know you still?"

"'Tis no mystery. Must listen, will-I nill-I."
He pauses as a thought snakes it's way through the undergrowth of his mind.

"Tell me also of the fire. Was you bound, dear lady? And the ring of stones, mean they anything to you? Knowledge of such things will help us bring Poppy to your grave."
"Oh, the flames that burn and will not consume! Aye, 'twas bound and will be again, to be hoped. The stones lay heavy upon, but no more."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Noting the woman's discomfort, Vincent snuffs out the flame light.
The woman becomes notably calmer when this is done, even sinking into a state of lassitude, as if under the influence of strong spirits.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Where is your grave?" asks Henry. "Perhaps we can bring Poppy and her friends for a visit."
"Why, 'tis all 'round you! Buried you are as well."

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William tried to gauge which part of the house is below this room, at the lower end of this mechanism. Lord Highdark must be behind this imprisonment, but it remains to be seen how many others he has enlisted.
Spoiler:
int = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Close examination of the device reveals little save that it extends for quite some distance, no doubt to the kitchens, as may have been deduced from its function.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am
by jp1885

"Bound by the doll yesno?"

While he considers the cryptic words, Lepus twiddles his beard, dislodging several small insects. Somewhere in his head, a small thought frantically waves for attention. He tries one more question, suspecting that too many enquiries will tire the old woman.

"Fine lady, does Poppy and thee know of the Ancient One?"

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Why, 'tis all 'round you! Buried you are as well."
William gestures toward the door the company entered through. "Buried you may have been, madam, but a way now lies open for you to return to the light. We are ready to conduct you hence."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"The only way to bring Poppy here is to bring the twins too," says Henry. "They won't let go of her."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 am
by jp1885

Lepus draws his companions aside, out of the old woman's earshot.

"Be not so hasty my lords. As yet we know nothing of this old lady Altumber - for an Altumber she clearly be - or the doll. Be they good or evil hm? Did you not tell me that the doll was found at the stones: a place where evil ceremonies were once conducted, yesno? There is much to learn, so there is, before we act."

He bows apologetically.

"This be old Lepus' suggestion anyhow. At least let me speak to the doll, now I have the wit to listen. 'til such time, mayhap we could search for other doors in and out of this 'grave'."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "Bound by the doll yesno?"

While he considers the cryptic words, Lepus twiddles his beard, dislodging several small insects. Somewhere in his head, a small thought frantically waves for attention. He tries one more question, suspecting that too many enquiries will tire the old woman.

"Fine lady, does Poppy and thee know of the Ancient One?"
"None knows, for canst be known, but ever was and 'twill be, but is not."

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:14 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Why, 'tis all 'round you! Buried you are as well."
William gestures toward the door the company entered through. "Buried you may have been, madam, but a way now lies open for you to return to the light. We are ready to conduct you hence."
"Wherefore, when all is within here?"

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:15 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus draws his companions aside, out of the old woman's earshot.

"Be not so hasty my lords. As yet we know nothing of this old lady Altumber - for an Altumber she clearly be - or the doll. Be they good or evil hm? Did you not tell me that the doll was found at the stones: a place where evil ceremonies were once conducted, yesno? There is much to learn, so there is, before we act."

He bows apologetically.

"This be old Lepus' suggestion anyhow. At least let me speak to the doll, now I have the wit to listen. 'til such time, mayhap we could search for other doors in and out of this 'grave'."
A thorough search by all concerned yields no further way in or out of the room.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:29 pm
by jp1885

Lepus chuckles at the old woman's cryptic answer - one addled mind dancing with another. Being unable to tie the old woman or the doll to this Ancient One, he decides to explore the old girl's resemblance to the lord of the manor.

"'tis a mean grave you have been buried in fine lady. Surely the Altumber family tomb be a better resting place, yesno? Tut-tut! I shall take them to task! Who buried you thus?"

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think you are right," says Henry. "We will need to speak to the doll."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:23 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus chuckles at the old woman's cryptic answer - one addled mind dancing with another. Being unable to tie the old woman or the doll to this Ancient One, he decides to explore the old girl's resemblance to the lord of the manor.

"'tis a mean grave you have been buried in fine lady. Surely the Altumber family tomb be a better resting place, yesno? Tut-tut! I shall take them to task! Who buried you thus?"
"Why, none but looking-glass, sure."

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:09 pm
by jp1885

"Hahhee!" Lepus dances a little jig. "'twas a twin, or one of close blood, says I!"

Chuckling, he turns to the others.

"The fine lady's answers are akin to a labyrinth: twising ever more as we progress. Shall we leave her to her eternal rest, mayhap to return another time?"

Lepus will wait for the others to perform whatever actions they wish, but is now ready to find the twins (or let them find him) and attempt to converse with the doll.

He also plans to learn more about the old woman, perhaps finding a portrait, although he knows he will hardly be allowed to shamble through the fine house!

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm
by SunlessNick
William is also of a mind to examine portraits.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent idea," says Henry, helping examine the portraits. "Once we've identified her, we can see what we can find out about her in the family histories in the library."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lord and Lady Highdark being currently occupied with the slowly but steadily declining health of the mournful Georgina, they pay little attention to what happens elsewhere in the household, allowing even the disreputable Lepus full access to all public areas.

After close study of the many portraits scattered hither and yon throughout the manor, the adventurers conclude that the madwoman most closely resembles Elizabeth Altumber, the much younger sister of Lord Highdark, and his only sibling. The official family chronicles, including Lord Highdark's own Bible, record her death from brain fever as having occurred more than a decade ago, when she was not yet twenty years of age. Despite the fact that the only extant portraits depict her as a very young woman, the resemblance to the elderly madwoman is unmistakable.

After some time, the twins become aware that the adventurers have expressed a desire to speak with Poppy. It is not immediately evident whether they accept this request as being in earnest, or if it is merely the play-acting in which adults often engage in order to indulge children.

"You may speak--

"to Poppy but--

"she will only answer--

"if you swear to obey--

"her even unto--

"death."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:00 am
by jp1885

"'tis a serious matter to ask old Lepus to swear such a thing."

Lepus gurns as he considers the implications of swearing fealty to the doll. After a few seconds he comes to a decision.

"But 'tis necessary, aye! Lepusimuss Erasmus Adamescu Bolohan does hereby swear to obey Poppy, even unto death!"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:14 pm
by Rooter
Perturbed, Vincent focuses on the doll, remaining silent except to murmur an incantation to Detect Evil under his breath.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:00 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   An addendum to my post above..  
Lepus is heartened by Vincent's concern, however he still keeps the fact that 'Lepusimuss Erasmus Adamescu Bolohan' is a completely made-up name, to himself.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Perturbed, Vincent focuses on the doll, remaining silent except to murmur an incantation to Detect Evil under his breath.

An unmistakable sense of malevolence fills the Frenchman's senses, clearly emanating from the doll.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus is heartened by Vincent's concern, however he still keeps the fact that 'Lepusimuss Erasmus Adamescu Bolohan' is a completely made-up name, to himself.

Nothing in particular seems to happen. The twins, as is their wont, whisper imperceptibly to the doll, and act in such a way as if they are listening to it, although there is no sound coming from it that can be detected.

"You must not--

"tease Poppy with naughty--

"lies or she will be--

"angry."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have the two of you sworn to obey Poppy, even unto death?" Henry asks the girls. "Is that why she talks to you?"

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Of course --

"we did, sir, as--

"did Aunty before she--

"went away."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:45 am
by SunlessNick
"And what does she order of you?" asks William.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:43 pm
by jp1885

Lepus frowns as his ruse is exposed. So this is no childish prank then...

"Pssht, just my little game. I thought Poppy liked games."

Although he knows not the method of detecting evil, he recognises the gestures Vincent has subtly made. He also notices his reaction.

"I would know more of Poppy before I devote my life to her. How does she know me?" He asks the twins.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"And what does she order of you?" asks William.
"We are too--

"little yet to be--

"of much use, but--

"when we are--

"grown, we shall--

"be of great help, she--

"tells us."

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus frowns as his ruse is exposed. So this is no childish prank then...

"Pssht, just my little game. I thought Poppy liked games."

Although he knows not the method of detecting evil, he recognises the gestures Vincent has subtly made. He also notices his reaction.

"I would know more of Poppy before I devote my life to her. How does she know me?" He asks the twins.
"There is little--

"indeed she does--

"not know."

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know where your Aunty went?" Henry asks the twins. "Why did she go without Poppy?"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 am
by jp1885

A dangerous thought blooms in the overgrown garden of Lepus' mind. He has no wish to pledge eternal obedience to the doll, but what if he could anger her into playing her hand?

"Psht! 'tis but a childish trick! Why, this 'Poppy' naught but a mommet; it's powers merely the imagination of children!"

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:14 am
by Rooter
Vincent shakes his head. "I sense it is an evil thing, this poppet, a source of malevolent influence. It may be the creature below the house is using the doll to influence the children, non? I think we must destroy it to save Highdark Hall." He holds his hand out to the children. "Give me the doll, s'il vous plait. We will get you another just the same, oui?" Anticipating some resistance he also murmurs an incantation to Beguile the children into obeying his wishes.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Do you know where your Aunty went?" Henry asks the twins. "Why did she go without Poppy?"
"Poppy sent her--

"far, far away, because--

"she was no longer--

"helpful."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
A dangerous thought blooms in the overgrown garden of Lepus' mind. He has no wish to pledge eternal obedience to the doll, but what if he could anger her into playing her hand?

"Psht! 'tis but a childish trick! Why, this 'Poppy' naught but a mommet; it's powers merely the imagination of children!"
This statement produces giggles from the two little girls.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent shakes his head. "I sense it is an evil thing, this poppet, a source of malevolent influence. It may be the creature below the house is using the doll to influence the children, non? I think we must destroy it to save Highdark Hall." He holds his hand out to the children. "Give me the doll, s'il vous plait. We will get you another just the same, oui?" Anticipating some resistance he also murmurs an incantation to Beguile the children into obeying his wishes.
Spoiler:
Beguile increases CHA to 12[dice]0[/dice]
At first, one of the twins -- is it Juno or Julia? -- nods and begins to hand the doll to the Frenchman, while the other -- is it Julia or Juno? -- looks on without objection. But before Vincent can take the plaything, she suddenly pulls it back, and both girls produce ear-splitting shrieks, as of tortured souls, that are difficult to believe could come from such young and innocent throats. Any attempt to reach out to the twins, or to the doll, results in an explosion of biting and scratching, as if the children had become wildcats. During this time, they appear to undergo a peculiar transformation. Their eyes become red and glowing, their nails grow into claws, their teeth extend into fangs. The effect is a very brief one, as long as no further attempt is made to obtain the doll; so much so that one would think it illusory. The adventurers will recall the Altumbers have ceased any efforts to separate the twins from their companion, for reasons which now seem clear.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've met your Aunty," says Henry once the girls calm down. "She misses Poppy."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am
by jp1885

While the twins spit and snarl like wildcats, Lepus does not seem the least bit surprised. Maybe it is an illusion, maybe not - he has no way of knowing. However he is certain that pledging his life to the doll would be a very bad idea!
He thinks for a moment while Henry addresses the girls.

The only clue the doll has given them is that she knows him from somewhere - could she be related to his little friends and cousins in the faerie realms?
Victoria,Lepus utters something in a polyglot mix of the faerie languages he has learned over the years. [color=#008000]<<Oh thee who resideth in the doll, be this mere illusion? If thee truly be powerful, then compel the twins to turn around thrice. Else-wise we shall walk away in contemp of thee.>> [/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:29 pm
by SunlessNick
"Poppy has not been kind to her," says William. "Certainly not how one would wish to see two pretty girls like yourselves dealt with."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "If she treated your Aunty like that, what's to stop her from doing the same to you once you're no longer useful to her?"

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"We feel sorry for--

"Aunty Beth, but there is--

"nothing to be--

"done for--

"her. Without Poppy--

"we would--

"die."

While saying this, the twins turn the doll, seemingly without knowing what they are doing, until it is facing directly at Lepus. Its painted eyes stare blankly at him.

Lepus:
Spoiler:
You hear a voice within your head. It is very thin and high, and sounds like someone speaking in a cavern.

"Woudst command those whom thou wouldst not serve? Nay, feeble mortal. Though thou hast some wisdom of our ways, thou know not our purpose. Best to flee, lest thou fall prey to what thou cannot undo."

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Would you like to see Aunty Beth again?" asks Henry.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:06 pm
by jp1885

Lepus gasps, stepping back a couple of paces. He falls to his knees, bowing his head in supplication.
Victoria,[color=#008000]<<Oh woe is old Lepus, for I have insulted thee, Fey Lady! Had I but known... Prithee deign to speak thy name, so that I may make proper contrition.>>[/color]

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Would you like to see Aunty Beth again?" asks Henry.
"We would but--

"Poppy says we--

"must not, and we--

"would not like--

"her to become--

"angry."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus gasps, stepping back a couple of paces. He falls to his knees, bowing his head in supplication.
Victoria,[color=#008000]<<Oh woe is old Lepus, for I have insulted thee, Fey Lady! Had I but known... Prithee deign to speak thy name, so that I may make proper contrition.>>[/color]
Spoiler:
There is high, almost musical laughter, as of silver bells ringing.

"Didst think me such a fool as to stumble into so pitiful a trap? Nay, my true name is for thee to discover; and thou shall not!"

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:18 am
by jp1885

Sighing regretfully, Lepus nonchalantly gets up off his knees and shrugs.

"We shall see Fey Lady, we shall see."

Sulkily he turns to his companions.

"Nothing more can be vouchsafed here. Let us leave these minxes to their play while we retire to discuss matters of more import."

And with that, he abruptly turns his back on the ensemble and wanders off, hoping that his companions will follow; allowing him to reveal what he's learned out of earshot of the twins.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Julia and Juno, obviously bored with all this adult talk, run off to amuse themselves.

After a few uneventful days pass, it becomes evident that Lord and Lady Highdark are concerned about the worsening condition of their eldest daughter. It seems that Georgina, apparently in the depths of melancholia, has taken to her bed, speaking nothing, answering inquiries with no more than weak sighs, accepting no more than the bare minimum of nourishment required to sustain life.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I will do what I can for your daughter," Henry tells Lord and Lady Highdark. "I already know the cause of her melancholia, for I have experienced it myself in the past. She has a broken heart. She loves young Henry, and she will be inconsolable until she sees him again. If either he is permitted to return, or she is permitted to go to him, her condition would improve dramatically."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 am
by SunlessNick
"She could not yet be aware of my recommending him to my brother," says William. "It may help if you Lord or Lady Highdark, or you Lord Dunwich, were to give her the news that he has a place to go and she a place to contact him."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 am
by jp1885

During those intervening days Lepus has been keeping himself to himself, suspecting that the Altumbers would take their worries out on a Gypsy wanderer such as he. When his fellow adventurers speak to him, he simply mutters "the doll: 'tis a faerie inside the thing. Voice thin as a reed and booming like a cave... Old Lepus needs to think a while..."

While the others tend to Georgina, he spends his time wandering the estate looking at places of interest (matters of the heart being somewhat alien to him). Eventually he finds himself standing before the blasted oak that broods south of the observatory. He bows before the tree.

"Hello noble one - how goes the day?"
OOC:   I've drawn a rough map of the estate, based on Victoria's descriptions and noticed that the blasted oak, something that would doubtless attract Lepus' interest, hasn't been visited yet.  

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:09 am
by Rooter
Meanwhile, Vincent checks the lunar calendar - is the next moonless night, when those reported strange lights may be observed, at hand?

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to the suggestion that Georgina be permitted some form of contact with Henry, Lord Highdark is incensed.

"Never! I took that scoundrel into my home out of the goodness of my heart, and he dared to abuse my hospitality by daring to court my daughter, who is far above his station. Let his name never be spoken in this house again!"

Some time later, when Lord Highdark has withdrawn to his office to attend to matters of business, Lady Highdark addresses the adventurers in a more sympathetic manner.

"I am afraid that my dear husband, for all his other virtues, is somewhat less than advanced in his attitude towards affairs of the heart," she says, with a particularly meaningful look at William. "I would not object if Georgina and Henry were brought together once more. But how can this be accomplished? If Lord Highdark were to discover such a plot . . ." Her voice trails off with a shudder.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
While the others tend to Georgina, he spends his time wandering the estate looking at places of interest (matters of the heart being somewhat alien to him). Eventually he finds himself standing before the blasted oak that broods south of the observatory. He bows before the tree.

"Hello noble one - how goes the day?"
Spoiler:
WIS = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Once again Lepus seems to hear a voice coming from inside his own head. This one is deep and slow, and seems very old and weary.

What mortal dares disturb my rest?

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Meanwhile, Vincent checks the lunar calendar - is the next moonless night, when those reported strange lights may be observed, at hand?
As luck would have it, the coming night is the new moon, and is expected to be particularly clear and well-suited to stargazing.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is Georgina in the habit of going riding?" asks Henry. "If not, perhaps she could take up the habit. Once you explain to her that riding can be a cover for other activities, I'm sure she'd agree. She can meet young Henry during these excursions. If the house where he is staying is too far, I'm sure the lad can be convinced to come to a place nearby for a rendezvous."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:31 am
by SunlessNick
"An excellent suggestion, Lord Dunwich," says William. "The exertion and outside air could only be salubrious for her health. Perhaps you and I might scout out some places that would be particularly healthful, Lady Highdark."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 am
by jp1885

This being the second disembodied voice to echo around Lepus' head recently, such an occurrence causes little consternation. He bows low once again.

"I am sorry for awakening you, noble one. I, Lepus, am but a poor wanderer and seeker of knowledge. Of late I have been baffled by a Fey lady who speaks from within a doll. Such a thing vexes me, so it does."

He straightens up, wincing as his back cracks a little.

"I merely wished to contemplate such matters under these mighty branches. Had I known that a mighty one slumbered therein, I wouldst have meditated elsewhere."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once made privy to the suggestion that she be allowed to contact Henry surreptitiously, Georgina is persuaded to take broth and similar simple nourishment, in hopes of recovering sufficiently to undertake such a plan.

In the meantime, Lady Highdark enthusiastically agrees to accompany William. It soon becomes clear, however, that she is more interested in the possibility of amorous dalliance than the supposed reason for these excursions.

At the blasted oak, Lepus hears the deep voice speak with great weariness.

Bring rest to those who seek it.

It then grows silent and unresponsive to further inquiry.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:33 am
by jp1885

Lepus tucks this cryptic message into a dusty drawer in his brain for future consideration, as he knows not it's meaning as of yet. He bows to the tree once more before treading softly away, lest he disturb it's slumber.

What to do next? He remembers seeing some caves not far away, and the voice in the doll sounded like it came from such a place, but if that was so, he did not feel sufficiently prepared to confront what could lie therein - least not alone.

And so he continues his wandering, heading towards the great house in the hope of rejoining his companions.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:It soon becomes clear, however, that she is more interested in the possibility of amorous dalliance than the supposed reason for these excursions.
The two goals are hardly incompatible - "Wherever we find for a liaison," William points out, "we must be well sure of its privacy. We would be remiss if we did not make thoroughly certain."

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Patient Reader will forgive the Humble Narrator as a curtain of propriety is drawn upon the encounter which follows. Suffice to say that a place sufficiently hidden from prying eyes is discovered, at some distance to the northeast of the manor house, among a densely wooded region known, appropriately, as the Lonely Copse.

As evening falls, Lady Highdark and William return to Highdark Hall, where all are gathered. With time, even Lepus has been accepted within the home, his role among the other guests assumed to be similar to that played by the indigent who are hired to impersonate hermits and dwell in the follies oft found near fine houses. This peculiar status does not, indeed, afford the privilege of dining with the family and guests; however, his presence at meals with another person of unusual circumstance -- videlicet, Miss Ravenscroft -- is tolerated, as is, of course, his presence at any time with any of the servants, from the lowest scullery maid of tender years, to the educated and dignified Miss Rye.

It is notable that at the evening meal, Georgina is present at table, although she takes only some broth and plain bread.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:59 am
by SunlessNick
William's mind returns to the practical, and he quietly discusses with Vincent and Lord Dunwich - to the extent that is possible without being generally overheard - what preparations are necessary for the coming night.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll leave the arcane preparations to the expert on that subject," says Henry quietly. "I can deal with scientific matters. I have my Illuminator, which will be good for providing light if it's needed. We may also want to borrow a spyglass so we can observe details from a distance. If they haven't one, I'm sure I can build one in the laboratory."

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 am
by SunlessNick
"I have one from my Army days," says William.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:41 am
by jp1885

After passing on his findings, and if she will countenance such eccentric company, Lepus will dine with Miss Ravenscroft. Should she prove receptive, he will speak of recent events, specifically the doll and the tree. Perhaps such a learned lady knows of such things, or knows of where knowledge of these matters might be found?

Failing that he will dine with the servants and engage them in such topics as local legends and hauntings.

Moreover, should his gallant friends outline their plans to him before they dine, Lepus will volunteer to assist Vincent in his stargazing.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent, Captain. The observatory may provide a good vantage point," suggests Henry. If Lepus tells him what the tree said, he will add. "I think that means we have to get the doll into Beth Altumber's room, especially considering what she said about asking Poppy to visit her grave, which is that room. Of course, that doll isn't going anywhere without the twins."

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Ravenscroft, being of an eccentric nature herself, is nothing loath to dine with Lepus, being otherwise fated to spend such time alone, save when Lord Highdark requires her company to sate his own desires.

Upon hearing of the fellow's experiences, she, being more inclined to natural philosophy than the arcane, suggests that the voices were mere fancy, no doubt a result of an imbalance in the humours; a disorder to which she is not a stranger. The doll she dismisses as mere childish imaginings.

"However," she admits, "as I am as curious as any cat, the peculiar errand upon which you and your companions are set rouses my interest.

"Despite the contempt with which the world views we of the so-called weaker sex," she adds, not without a trace of bitterness, "I am not entirely without resource."

As if to prove this statement, she indicates a small glass vial filled with a clear liquid, of the kind used to carry perfume, and a small metal box, the purpose of which is not immediately evident, which she carries on her person.

"I shall accompany you." This is stated as fact, rather than as a request for permission.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That evening is unusually dark and clear, the Milky Way blazing overhead. The party makes their way, by lantern or candlelight, to the rise known as the observatory. After Miss Ravenscroft spends some time studying the stars and planets through William's spyglass, she returns the instrument to its owner. The gentlemen are able to observe misty, vaguely human-shaped figures, such as were seen upon the small island within the Misty Tarn, at some distance to the east, between the caverns known as the Wormy Caves and the Lonely Copse.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:07 am
by SunlessNick
William observes the figures through his spyglass, attempting to determine their course and activities. He will then cede it to one of the more scholarly of the party so that that person may observe clues about their nature.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The blurred figures do not appear to be moving about at all, merely floating slightly above the ground.

Being told of the phenomenon, Miss Ravenscroft hypothesizes that it is a peculiar kind of fog, brought about by unusual conditions of the landscape.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we approach and take a closer look?" asks Henry. "Observation is at the heart of natural philosophy, after all."

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:16 am
by jp1885

Lepus scrutinises the misty figures and frowns.

"Nay, 'tis no natural fog. Old Lepus reckons they be spirits of the drowned. Evil things they be. If we approach, then carefully must we tread."

With his knowledge of the arcane, does the date, time, star alignment or moon phase ring any bells? To wit, does he know of any rituals or ceremonies similar to what he is seeing?

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:27 pm
by Rooter
"I will create an Obscuring Mist to surround us and conceal our approach," Vincent says, and murmurs an incantation.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Nay, 'tis no natural fog. Old Lepus reckons they be spirits of the drowned. Evil things they be. If we approach, then carefully must we tread."

With his knowledge of the arcane, does the date, time, star alignment or moon phase ring any bells? To wit, does he know of any rituals or ceremonies similar to what he is seeing?
Spoiler:
I'll stretch the rules a bit to make this a matter of Esoteric Knowledge. INT= 15 + 1 = 16[dice]0[/dice]
After considering the situation for a while, Lepus comes to the conclusion that he has not encountered things of this nature before, nor gained knowledge of such.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:"I will create an Obscuring Mist to surround us and conceal our approach," Vincent says, and murmurs an incantation.
The mist conceals the Frenchman entirely from view; those who stand close to him are partially obscured, the mist being of modest dimensions. Observing this phenomenon with some apprehension, Miss Ravenscroft elects to remain at a distance from it.
Spoiler:
The mist is about 5 feet in all directions.
As the curious adventurers approach the mists, it becomes apparent that they are illuminated, albeit in a very dim fashion, from within; else, indeed, they would be entirely invisible on such a dark night. They do not appear to react in any way to Miss Ravenscroft's scrutiny; passing a hand through one such, she reports no sensation other than a slight reduction in temperature.

When the mist-enshrouded persons approach, however, the mists glide, slightly above the ground, in such a way that they eventually surround them.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
At such close range, it can be seen that they are seven in number; whether this famously esoteric number is of relevance to the situation or not remains unknown.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening," says Henry to the figures, seeing that their presence has clearly been detected, and watches to see how they'll react.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 am
by jp1885

Suspecting that perhaps the figures are attracted to Vincent's magical mist, Lepus steps out of it's radius.

Although feeling perturbed as the figures start to surround the group, he stands still and by opening his mind (in the same manner as he conversed with the doll and the tree), simply looks and listens.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "Good evening," says Henry to the figures, seeing that their presence has clearly been detected, and watches to see how they'll react.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be any response to this polite inquiry.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Suspecting that perhaps the figures are attracted to Vincent's magical mist, Lepus steps out of it's radius.

Although feeling perturbed as the figures start to surround the group, he stands still and by opening his mind (in the same manner as he conversed with the doll and the tree), simply looks and listens.
Once the person of Lepus is fully revealed, the mists seem to take a particular interest in him, drawing closer about him and swaying slightly from side to side.

"A curious case of animal magnetism," Miss Ravenscroft remarks.
Spoiler:
WIS = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Despite this apparent attraction to him -- a phenomenon not unknown to those of Gypsy blood -- Lepus does not experience any form of communication from them, as if they are unwilling, or unable, to speak.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Anyone and everyone no doubt finds Lepus interesting," says Henry, continuing to observe the figures.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 am
by jp1885

Lepus twitches nervously as the misty figures close on him. He capers to one side, hoping to draw the creatures a safe distance away from his companions.

"So 'tis not the magic... faeries mayhap? Spirits of the departed as I suspected?" he mutters. "Monsieur Vincent, dost thou detect any malice in these apparitions? If the answer be oui, be it the same thou felt in the doll or under the house?"

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm
by Rooter
Vincent nods and mutters an incantation to Detect Evil.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent nods and mutters an incantation to Detect Evil.
There does not appear to be anything maleficent about the misty figures.

They continue to follow Lepus about, taking no apparent interest in anyone else.

After some time, a faint, glowing image appears before the assembled adventurers, not far from where the mist stand, at such a place where it seems intended for the eyes of the Gypsy, although it is visible to all.

"How remarkable," states Miss Ravenscroft. "A nocturnal fata morgana, I believe."

It takes the form of a blurred, ever-shifting depiction of a procession of seven individuals, robed as if they were pilgrims of an earlier time. They move across a vaguely depicted, forested landscape for a while. Then, with great suddenness, they are approached by another, more numerous group of persons, and what seems to be a pitched battle ensues, although only the newcomers attack aggressively, the others appearing purely defensive. Quickly, there are no more of the defenders remaining, and the image fades away.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:17 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC:   Henry would likely recall that dead beings took a similarly disproportionate interest in Ines.  
William keeps pace with Lepus, close enough to come to his aid (however this might be accomplished), but far enough that if the figures turn hostile, they must divide in order to attack both of them.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm
by jp1885

Lepus is relieved when Vincent answers in the negative, but is still glad that William is keeping pace as he walks slowly with the misty figures. His eyes widen as the vision of the battle (or is it a massacre?) unfold before him and takes some steps towards the scene.

"'tis a terrible crime that befell you oh Seven Pilgrims. How might old Lepus atone for such a thing and set your spirits at rest?"

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fascinating," says Henry, watching the scene with excitement. "It is as if we have just witnessed an event that happened in the distant past. It seems similar in some ways to the camera obscura, which can preserve an image at a given point in time, but this image moved. Of course, the camera obscura mimics the function of the eye, and the eye can perceive motion. Perhaps a sequence of still images in rapid succession could simulate motion...One might make drawings in book that vary slightly from page to page, and then flip through the pages quickly to produce such an effect..."

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:43 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"A remarkable notion, Doctor," Miss Ravenscroft replies. "Having had some success with the capturing of the patterns of sunlight upon materials treated with a solution containing silver and other substances, this suggests the possibility that one could inscribe such a series of images upon translucent surfaces and project lantern light through them, resulting in the illusion of motion."

Her intellectual curiosity excited by this discussion, Miss Ravenscroft elects to perform an experiment. She takes the small metal box she carries and aims it, as if it were a pistol, at the nearest of the mists.

"Galvanic fluid in a concentrated form," she explains. "It will be interesting to see what effect it has upon this curious meteorological phenomenon."

A sudden thin beam of white light, lasting far less than a second, emerges from the box. When it strikes the mist, that pale figure glows brightly for a moment, then returns to its normal state. It also moves away from Miss Ravenscroft, until it stands behind the others.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus is relieved when Vincent answers in the negative, but is still glad that William is keeping pace as he walks slowly with the misty figures. His eyes widen as the vision of the battle (or is it a massacre?) unfold before him and takes some steps towards the scene.

"'tis a terrible crime that befell you oh Seven Pilgrims. How might old Lepus atone for such a thing and set your spirits at rest?"
Previous attempts to communicate with the figures having been of no avail, it is no surprise that this inquiry produces no audible response.

There is, however, another vague and dimly lit image beheld by all, which appears to be the illusion of a funeral procession seen from a distance.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:16 pm
by jp1885

Lepus waves his hands irritably at Miss Ravenscroft as she points her contraption at the spirits.

"Desist fine lady! Trouble them not with your gimcrackery if you please!"

He sighs as the misty funeral procession passes by.

"Oh... 'tis a proper, I daresay Christian, burial you seek... prithee take me to the place where you lie, or circle 'round if it be the spot upon which we stand."

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"An ingenious device, Miss Ravenscroft," says Henry. "I don't think it liked having its likeness captured, but we'll be able to study the results later in a better light. I think we should get a closer look at that new phenomenon over there." He points out the funeral procession. "If these are reenactments of past events, we need to learn what happened here in times past so that we can better understand the present situation."

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:21 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the image of the funeral procession fades away, as if it were no more than a will-o'-the-wisp, the mists grow more transparent, as fog melts into the air when bright sunlight beams upon it. Before they are gone entirely, they appear to be moving in the general direction of the Wormy Caves.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm
by SunlessNick
"If these truly are an echo of departed spirits, perhaps those caves are where we should search for their remains," suggests William.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm
by jp1885

"Aye brave soldier, 'tis what old Lepus thinks also."

He runs his fingers through his beard, making both of them grubbier.

"Though yon scholar is right: these be modern scientificick times, so we must learn what's to be learned. Such a massacre would be in the histories of this fine house hm?"

"We must also find the services of a holy man for the funeral yesno? There be a parsons lodge by the church eh?"

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Henry. "If their remains have lain undisturbed in those caves all this time, they should remain so until the morrow at least. We can do some reading in the morning and then explore the caves."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon arising the next morning, the adventurers avail themselves freely of Lord Highdark's extensive, if eccentric, library. After some time spent perusing old chronicles of the area, yellowed and crumbling, it is discovered that, several decades ago, a party of pilgrims were waylaid by brigands in the area where the mists were seen, according to a single anonymous witness. No trace of the bodies of the slain were ever found. Local legend has it that they were carried deep into the Wormy Caves, but no one, in all that time, has been bold enough to explore that stony labyrinth much beyond its opening, for fear of fabled dangerous beasts thought to dwell therein.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I think we're all brave enough to venture into the caves," says Henry, "and Ivan and I have dealt with dangerous beasts before. We'll need our weapons, and we'll need light. I have my Illuminator, and we can borrow some lanterns or torches."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 am
by jp1885

If there is time, Lepus will also use the opportunity to look through the library for any other myths, legends and unusual happenings about the house and it's environs (for example the blasted oak, the misty tarn and the druid stones).

Upon completing the research, he capers nervously upon mention of the caves.

"Aye, if it must be - the caves 'tis then."

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:19 pm
by SunlessNick
William seems invigorated by the prostpect of a physical venture. He enquires of the groundskeeper whether the company may borrow a number of sacks. "Should we find the bones, we would need to bring them forth for a Church burial, and these may help prevent them becoming intermingled. Or more so than time has made them." A less spiritual implse bids him to bring his sabre and a loaded pistol.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
If there is time, Lepus will also use the opportunity to look through the library for any other myths, legends and unusual happenings about the house and it's environs (for example the blasted oak, the misty tarn and the druid stones).

Upon completing the research, he capers nervously upon mention of the caves.

"Aye, if it must be - the caves 'tis then."
Spoiler:
INT = 15; not really a situation for Esoteric Knowledge bonus, I think[dice]0[/dice]
If such information is located within Lord Highdark's extensive library, his eccentric organizing system renders it impossible to locate at this time.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The adventurers equip themselves and head for the Wormy Caves at a convenient time. It is obvious immediately that these caverns are narrow and twisting, such that those who enter must explore them in single file. The party will need to determine their marching order, as it were.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ivan and Captain Palliser seem to be our best fighters," says Henry. "One should take the front and the other the rear. I think the captain has better eyesight, so perhaps he should take the lead."

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:16 am
by SunlessNick
"An excellent suggestion Lord Dunwich," agrees William. "Considering the preternatural circumstances that surround our mission, perhaps our two practitioners of the arcane should take the second and second-last places." He glances at Vincent as he says this, evidently preferring the thought of the Frenchman as the one at his back.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 am
by Rooter
Vincent nods and follows the capitaine, producing a flame from his hand for light without need of a lantern.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:16 am
by jp1885

"'tis a fine strategem, aye."

Torch held tightly, Lepus takes up position second-to-last in front of Ivan, hoping that his keen senses will negate the darkness.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Henry, taking his place in the middle of the formation. He still has his pistol at the ready, though he will need a clear line of sight to any threats.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the bold adventurers proceed in single file down a long, steeply descending tunnel, which twists this way and that, their lights, natural or preternatural, startle the various vermin which call this place their home. These are, for the most part, harmless insects and the like, although the discovery of occasional tiny bones, as from some small beast, indicate that some predator or other also makes use of the caves.

After some time spent in this monotonous journey, the party discovers that the main tunnel splits two ways. There is no appreciable difference between the right tunnel and the left tunnel; both are of the same small diameter, and both head down into the depths of the caverns.

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to mark our trail," says Henry. "We can unravel string or thread behind us as we go, like Theseus in the Labyrinth. This may not be the only intersection in these caves. As for which way we should go, I would not advise splitting up. We should all go one way or the other, and I have no preference. Does anyone have any feeling about either tunnel?"

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:45 am
by SunlessNick
"I concur," says William. "Your mighty manservant should have little difficulty leaving discernable marks on the walls. If none object, I shall take the right-hand path for now."

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:58 pm
by jp1885

"Old Lepus will also stop us from losing ourselves, if the fine gentlemen care to wait for a moment..."

Fishing around in his noisome frock coat for some bits and bobs, he creates a Know Direction talisman in the form of a small stone rattling around a battered tin cup.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With both of these precautions taken, there is no chance that the adventurers will lose their way.

After journeying down the right-hand path for a brief distance, a quiet whining, mewling sound is heard from deep within a dark chamber just off to the left side of the main tunnel. It is of a high pitch, and seems to be composed of more than one voice, although its weakness, and the confusion of echoes within the cavern, make it difficult to determine its exact nature.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Probably an animal," says Henry quietly. "A dog, or a cat perhaps? Shall we take a closer look?"

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:57 am
by SunlessNick
William readies his pistol and slips into the chamber, moving to the side of the door to allow others access. He raises his torch trying to see what might be present.

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:20 am
by jp1885

If he can reach the good captain in time, Lepus will motion him to lower his torch. If whatever is inside the chamber remains ignorant of their presence, he will listen to the sound.

With his knowledge of Faerie languages, can he ascertain that it is similar to the voice he heard while talking to Poppy? If so, can he work out what's being said?

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
It soon becomes obvious to all that the chamber is inhabited by half a dozen fox kits, barking softly. Their eyes are open, and they are able to move about, stirred to curiosity by the new arrivals, but they are clearly only a few weeks old, not yet fully weaned.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"They remind me of my wife's pet fox, Lucky," says Henry. "This must be their nest. Their mother won't be far. We'd best be gone before she returns, or she may consider us a threat to her children."

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:13 am
by SunlessNick
William resumes the lead and continues down the corridor.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 am
by jp1885

Lepus giggles at the sight of the kits. He waggles his fingers in greeting and, figuring it be best to converse in faerie tongue, bids them good-day.

<<Grow strong oh mischievous ones.>>

And with that he resumes his place in the procession.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Proceeding further, the party soon enters a chamber large enough for two or three to stand side by side. Lanterns reveal marks on the walls, some merely long vertical lines, others smaller and more irregular. It is evident that the stone here is not extremely hard. It is also somewhat moist, as water drips, extremely slowly, into this room from minuscule crevices in the roof, which must lead, by some unknown, torturous path, to the surface of the Earth. Close examination of the floor reveals that a tiny rivulet of the water thus collected flows into a small tunnel, into which a person of no great size might squeeze, to an unseen destination. A similar small tunnel emits a very dim, pale green glow, seen only when the light from the lantern is turned away from it, of uncertain origin. To add a third enigma, there is another tunnel, somewhat larger, although capable of admitting only one person at a time, from which comes the unmistakable scent of decaying flesh.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"That green glow may be phosphorous," says Henry, "though Ivan will never fit in either of those small tunnels. The larger one may be what we seek, anyway. While the massacre victims perished so long ago that I doubt there's any flesh still on their bones, there may be other more recent victims there."

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 am
by jp1885

"Aye, could be..."

Lepus wrinkles his nose, for he likes not the smell (believe it or not).

Finger to his lips, he shambles to each tunnel entrance and listens at each in turn, using his sharp hearing in an attempt to ascertain what lies further in.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:38 am
by Rooter
Perturbed, Vincent tries to ascertain whether the direction of the tunnels might run in the same direction as the evil being submerged beneath Highdark Hall.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Aye, could be..."

Lepus wrinkles his nose, for he likes not the smell (believe it or not).

Finger to his lips, he shambles to each tunnel entrance and listens at each in turn, using his sharp hearing in an attempt to ascertain what lies further in.
No sound emerges from the tunnel with the pale green light. From the tunnel into which the water flows one can hear, far off, echoes of splashing. The larger tunnel produces a shuffling, clattering sound, as of something moving about.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Perturbed, Vincent tries to ascertain whether the direction of the tunnels might run in the same direction as the evil being submerged beneath Highdark Hall.
It certainly seems possible that any one of these tunnels, or even all of them, might lead in the general direction of Highdark Hall, although at some distance. Who can tell, however, what twists and turns might be found if one were to enter therein?

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:01 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:The larger one may be what we seek, anyway. While the massacre victims perished so long ago that I doubt there's any flesh still on their bones, there may be other more recent victims there."[/color]
"And it hardly seems likely that whoever brought the bodies into these caves would have gone to quite so much touble as the narrower tunnels. But before we go further, we should try to discern whether any of the marks on the walls in here are articial - it may to know whether someone has tried to find their way in here before."

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 am
by jp1885

Lepus relays his findings to the others.

"'tis no surprise there be water down there," he whispers, pointing to the damp tunnel. "But in yonder big tunnel, something be shuffling about, so it does..."

Holding his torch aloft, he follows the gallant soldier's lead and inspects the wall markings.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 15[dice]0[/dice]WIS = 18+1 Esoteric Knowledge = 19[dice]1[/dice]
The large, vertical markings do not immediately suggest anything in particular to Lepus, most likely because his attention is drawn much more closely to the smaller, irregular ones. From his experience with the peculiar, long forgotten -- to most -- rituals of the Druids, he is able to determine that these are roughly carved runes, meant to deter restless spirits.
Spoiler:
int = 9[dice]2[/dice]
If anything, William is even less able to make any particular judgment from the vertical marks.
Spoiler:
Might as well give everybody else a chance at INT rolls

Ivan = 7
Vincent = 9
Henry still at 15, if memory serves
[dice]3[/dice]
The Frenchman is also unable to tell anything from these marks. It is no surprise at all that Doctor North, with his profound knowledge of Natural Philosophy, is able to make some sense of them. It is apparent, from the depth at which they are carved, their length, and their grouping, that they are the work of a burrowing animal of unusual size. Just as he is explaining this to the others, Ivan, to the surprise of the rest, offers his own opinion.

"I know this. I have seen this many times in my own country. Badger. Big badger."

It is evident, if the Russian is correct, that the beast must truly be a prodigious example of its kind.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:53 pm
by jp1885

Lepus grins as he examine the runes.

"Old magic this, oh yes..."

Making a mental note of the shape of the markings, he fishes a blackened piece of burnt wood from his person and scratches a copy of them onto a scrap of paper, which he then tucks into his pocket.

He scratches his grubby beard upon Ivan's announcement.

"Hmm, would such a beast keep ancient bones?"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure," says Henry, thinking on what he knows of badgers and their habits. "However, if they were in the chamber already when it moved in, it is unlikely to dispose of them. Still, the remains we seek could lie elsewhere in these caves."

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm
by jp1885

To the other's undoubted surprise, Lepus suddenly boffs himself on the head.

"Pssssht! Old Lepus searches for the unknown, but would shy away when it comes! Never seen such a beast before, so I shall see it now!"

In other words, he's happy to investigate this huge badger.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Badgers eat anything," Ivan remarks. "Mean, too."

If the adventurers wish to find such a beast, it seems most likely that, if it is anywhere nearby, it has taken shelter in the largest of the three tunnels, the others being too narrow for what must be a specimen of truly extraordinary size.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is most likely down the larger tunnel," says Henry. "Whoever leads the way will be the target of its wrath."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:33 am
by jp1885

"Aye. The beast will have caught our scent by now too, but if the bones be in his lair... and I do so wish to see it..."

Lepus pauses, picking some dirt from his fingernails.

"But there be no point in getting us killed, or killing yon badger wantonly, yesno? Let us look for the bones elsewhere and return when we've a means to calm the beast, hm?"

If the others agree, perhaps returning to the junction and turning left might be wise.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, a sensible suggestion," says Henry.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:39 am
by SunlessNick
"Very well," agrees William.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:01 am
by Rooter
Vincent is also in agreement. "This green light is très curieuse."

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am
by jp1885

"Aye, 'tis a strange light. Yon tunnel is a narrow fit though - would the bones be down there? Old Lepus also wonders about the runes on the walls. Keep away restless spirits so they do - spirits from this tunnel mayhap?"

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It would be difficult to fit the bodies down that narrow tunnel," says Henry. "The green glow could simply be phosphorous. It occurs naturally in some caverns."

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Returning the way they came, the party follows the left-hand tunnel. Unlike the other, it does not further divide, but continues for some distance, more or less in a straight line, until it reaches a large pit blocking the way. The light of a lantern does not reveal any bottom to this gap in the tunnel, which continues onward beyond it. A sharp, acidic odor emerges from the pit.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 pm
by SunlessNick
How wide is the pit, and are there any outcrops on which a rope might be looped?

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm
by jp1885

Taking off his grubby tricorne, Lepus lies down at the edge of the pit with his head poking out over the rim. He twists his neck so that an ear is facing downwards. Can his keen hearing pick anything up?

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could lower a lantern on a rope to get a look down there," suggests Henry.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 am
by SunlessNick
"If I were hiding bodies in these caves, this would certainly be the place," agrees William.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:How wide is the pit, and are there any outcrops on which a rope might be looped?
Close examination reveals the pit to be wider than one could jump. The inner surface is indeed very rough, with several places where one might attach a rope, with sufficient care.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Taking off his grubby tricorne, Lepus lies down at the edge of the pit with his head poking out over the rim. He twists his neck so that an ear is facing downwards. Can his keen hearing pick anything up?
From far below, echoing off the stone walls, comes the sound of soft fluttering.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"We could lower a lantern on a rope to get a look down there," suggests Henry.
This is certainly a possibility. It would require one of steady hand to safely lower the lantern, if this plan is adopted. There are a sufficient number of lanterns for any member of the party to try.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:15 am
by jp1885

"Old Lepus hears a flitter-flutter - bats mayhap?"

Still lying prone, he reaches down and runs his hand along the wall of the pit to see if it is layered with droppings, guano or suchlike.

"Either way, 'tis a suitable pit in which to throw down bones."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:07 am
by SunlessNick
"And I do not think we need to search beyond it. I cannot imagine anyone going to the trouble of conveying bodies across this instead of throwing them down. Lord Dunwich, your man's arm is probably the most steadfast of us all."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Old Lepus hears a flitter-flutter - bats mayhap?"

Still lying prone, he reaches down and runs his hand along the wall of the pit to see if it is layered with droppings, guano or suchlike.

"Either way, 'tis a suitable pit in which to throw down bones."
Unmistakable bat droppings -- a valuable fertilizer -- do indeed cover the walls.
Spoiler:
CON = 14[dice]0[/dice]
After a while, Lepus develops a slight fever and a soft cough, along with minor aches and pains, as if suffering from a mild case of ague. He realizes that contact with bat excrement does not always have a salubrious effect upon one's health. No doubt he will warn the others of this possibility.
Spoiler:
Basing this on the fact that bat guano can produce a fungal infection in the human respiratory system. Since this was a borderline failure on a CON roll -- success is supposed to be a roll lower than the number, not equal or greater -- I'll be lenient and rule that it won't have any further effects than the slight, temporary annoyance noted above. Anybody descending into the pit will run the same risk, based on CON; a failure other than borderline will have consequences to one's health.

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"And I do not think we need to search beyond it. I cannot imagine anyone going to the trouble of conveying bodies across this instead of throwing them down. Lord Dunwich, your man's arm is probably the most steadfast of us all."
Eager to be of service, the mighty Russian attaches a lantern to a length of rope and slowly lowers it into the pit.
Spoiler:
Both DEX and STR involved = 9 and 16, in that order[dice]0[/dice]
His muscular arms have no trouble supporting the weight of the lantern, but as he lowers it the rope sways a bit, back and forth, until the lantern shatters against the rock wall. The party suffers the loss of one lantern. Before it broke, sleeping bats, far too many to even estimate their number, were seen lining the walls at some distance below the point where the lantern shattered. They are so numerous that they seem like one solid mass of brown fur. Below them is the bottom of the pit, just barely visible before the light was lost, so that no details of what might or might not lie upon the ground were seen.

Each member of the party possesses his own lantern, if he wishes to make another attempt, or asks Ivan to do so in his stead.

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"While as a physician I have somewhat steady hands," says Henry, "I lack the necessary strength. What we need is someone with both steady hands and a strong grip, and that is neither I nor Ivan."

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:26 am
by jp1885

Lepus coughs and splutters, massaging aching limbs.

"Be wary of their spoor," he croaks. "'tis an ill miasma."

"Old Lepus shall try with his lantern. If it shatters, no matter - others can be fetched, else I have the wit to mend such things."

Being careful not to touch any more droppings, he attempts to lower his lantern down on a rope.
STR then DEX (both 15),[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Years of rough living have given the wanderer just enough strength to hold the lantern steady as it descends. Grunting with effort he attempts to guide the lantern down the pit without disturbing the bat colony.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lepus proves to have a steady grip upon the rope. As the lantern draws near the bottom of the pit, which lies at a distance which would prevent even the greatest acrobat from jumping down to it without injury, its light reveals a jumble of human bones lying on the ground. There also appear to be some small metal objects scattered among the remains, judging by the glittering reflections the lantern produces, although their exact nature cannot be determined from this distance. Some of the bats stir slightly as the investigation proceeds, but for the most part they remain undisturbed in the arms of Hypnos.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done," says Henry. "This must be the place. We'll need to climb down there, gather up the bones and bring them out for a proper burial."

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:14 am
by jp1885

Lepus peers down the pit.

"Aye, yon pilgrims must be laid to rest, yesno? Such a venture be dangerous though - we must cover our faces, lest we be stricken wth ague. 'tis also a feat we cannot contrive without disturbing the bats, though mayhap old Lepus can compell them to leave."

Once the lantern has been hauled up, he steps back, considering a way of using the Banish Vermin incantation to move the bats further down the tunnel for a while.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:17 am
by Rooter
"Oui and if this fails, my spells are perhaps more effective to people but I will attempt to Beguile the bats to prevent them from stirring, non?" Vincent adds.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm
by SunlessNick
William sets about anchoring ropes for the climb down.

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm
by jp1885

Excited at the prospect of testing his magical skills with Vincent, Lepus waits for William to finish securing the rope. When everything is ready he motions everyone to stand back, lest his plan go awry.

Muttering an apology to the bats, he begins a gutteral incantation. He feels his energy sapping as the Banish Vermin spell leaves his lips.
OOC,Minus 1 HP non-lethal damage to cast Banish Vermin.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As if night had fallen, and their nocturnal instincts sent them in search of their insect prey in the dimness of the crepuscular light, the bats stir themselves, emitting many a high-pitched shriek -- much of which, natural philosophers tell us, unknown to Man, but familiar to Dog -- and fluttering their leather wings so rapidly that they appear only as a blur. Suddenly, all at once, the colony, like one mighty organism, lifts itself from its resting place and flies over the heads of the adventurers with extraordinary speed and grace, no single member doing so much as even grazing the persons who have invaded their home. Whether their eyesight be unusually keen, or whether they possess some other form of perception, they avoid all obstacles as they make their way through the rocky passages into the open air. If there be any witness to their emergence into daylight, no doubt the event will be recorded as an extraordinary phenomenon.

It occurs to Vincent that, these being, as far as one can tell, natural creatures, and thus not possessed of rational thought, preternatural beguilement would have no more effect upon them than, say, the reading of poetry.

Once they have passed by, William continues his labors. Kneeling down, bending over and straining his arms to reach a proper securing point, it is a task which requires much caution and skilled fingers.
Spoiler:
DEX = 12; + 1 for Profession of Soldier (not specifically listed in the long catalog of Everyman professions, but the other military professions seem to be related to Dexterity.) [dice]0[/dice]
No doubt because he has made use of similar stratagems in his many military ventures, he is able to secure a rope firmly to the wall of the pits. Testing it with a good, firm tug, it appears that it could easily support the weight of even one as great in body as Ivan (although not more than one person at a time.) Climbing down it will, of course, require steady nerves and a firm grip.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am
by SunlessNick
"Well then," says William. "I tied the rope, so it is fitting that I should be the first to test its efficacy. So let us be about it. Monsieur, would you kind enough to direct that remarkable light of yours into the pit?" William covers his mouth and nose against the smell and begins to descend.
OOC:   Strength 12, Dexerity 12
Rolled: 3  
Perhaps Providence is smiling on efforts to finally bring these poor souls to their rest.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry shines the light of his Illuminator down the pit to ease William's descent.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm
by jp1885

Lepus grins, pleased that he was able to show off his skills before the mighty sorcerer Vincent. As William climbs down, the gypsy stands ready to assist in case he gets into trouble.

"We have sacks, yesno?" He asks Henry, seemingly oblivious to his marvellous device.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry gets the sacks from Ivan, who had been carrying the group's heavier supplies, and prepares to lower them down.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
William discovers a jumble of bones, some still attached to scraps of clothing, covering the floor of the pit. The metal objects prove to be small religious medallions, generally of pewter and of no great monetary value. Evidence that the remains have lain here for quite some time is the fact that they are covered with a heavy layer of bat droppings.
Spoiler:
close enough to risk fungal infection from the guano CON = 11[dice]0[/dice]
The environment is clearly less than salubrious to the body's health. Fortunately, William has the resistance to disease which is so helpful to a soldier; Plague being the horseman who carries off far more fighting men than War. He is able to safely receive the sacks lowered down to him and fill them as he sees fit.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 am
by SunlessNick
William fills the sacks with the bones as he finds them - he had begun the enterprise with the idea of using the sacks to keep the bones of the different victims separate, but this seems impossible under the circumstances of their rest - and in truth, he is loath to spend the necessary time in this stinking pit. He adds the religious medallions to the contents of the sacks - they can be buried with these too. As each one is filled, he passes it off to be raised.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry instructs Ivan to haul up the sack.

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:03 am
by jp1885

Lepus hops impatiently from one foot to the other as the sacks are hauled up, occasionally casting nervous glances back down the tunnel.

"Yesyes, bring up the pilgrims before our friends flitter-flutter back!"

"A place must we find to bury them and a procure a parson to do the deed, yesno? Old Lepus knows there be a family plot, but wouldst the fine folk therein be willing to share with such humble bones? Mayhap there's a graveyard at the chapel? Failing that, a village church nearby, hmm?"

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party will recall that there was no churchyard near the family chapel, this being strictly a small building used for family services once a week upon Sunday, when a deacon journeys from Lowhaven, a small community located about one mile south of Highdark Hall, and ministers to the Altumbers.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
As fortune would have it, today is the Sabbath, and the party will be able to speak to the deacon either before or after services, as they wish. No doubt he is approaching even now.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 am
by jp1885

Once all the bones and associated relics have been collected, Lepus will help haul William back up out of the pit.

If all goes well, he will suggest they leave the caves forthwith, find a clergyman and arrange a suitable burial for the pilgrims' mortal remains.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says Henry. "He would know where to find suitable consecrated grounds."

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 am
by SunlessNick
William will leave the others to that task, and return to the Hall to bathe and get out of his filthy clothing.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party carrying the burden happens to run into a young gentleman in the clothing of a cleric, riding slowly on horseback in the direction of the chapel. The pale, thin, bespectacled fellow, once introductions are made, proves to be the Reverend Mister Frye, deacon to the Altumber family, on his way to service. Curious, and not a little startled, by the appearance of these new acquaintances and what they carry, he makes inquiry if he might be of service.

Meanwhile, within Highdark Hall, whilst William avails himself of hot water and a change of clothing, he overhears quiet but sharp words exchanged between Lord and Lady Highdark. The exact nature of their heated exchange, made during their preparations to attend chapel, cannot be ascertained; however, the manservant who assists William in his ablutions proves to be something of a gossip, and lets slip the information that Lord Highdark suspects Her Ladyship of harboring a lover, and intends on tracking down the guilty party and exacting rough justice from him. Her Ladyship, in exchange, makes use of a familiar idiom regarding a goose and a gander; a reply which amuses the manservant but not his master.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 am
by jp1885

Oblivious of his dishevelled and rather noisome state, Lepus thinks nothing of addressing the cleric, rather than stepping back to allow someone more suitable to do the honours.

"Reverend, you have heard the legend of the poor murdered pilgrims, yesno? Well their remains are found and we would ask you to inter them in consecrated ground. See, we have their bones."

He opens a sack for Rev. Frye's inspection.

"Note ye the holy medallions mixed therein - proof that they be pious men deserving of a Christian burial."

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm
by SunlessNick
"One hopes his Lordship meets with the success he is due," says William to the manservant. Once he is back in clean attire, he will seek out Miss Ravenscroft, reasoning that she would not be welcome at chapel with Lady Highdark - she was present when the idea of venturing into the caves was raised, and may wish to know how it turned out. Since she is of similar disposition to Lord Dunwich, he also makes mention of the green glow and the marks of the creature, in cae she is interested.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, they were clearly martyrs," says Henry. "It will be good to lay them to proper rest after all this time."

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Reverend Mister Frye is taken aback by this strange encounter, nearly falling off his steed, an elderly, mild-tempered mare. He alights upon the ground, brushes off his clothes, although they are in no great need of it, and wipes his spectacles upon the sleeve of his shirt, replacing them and blinking rapidly at the party one by one.

"Dear me, dear me. How extraordinary. Martyrs, you say. Be that as it may, even the lowliest sinner is worthy of decent burial, if I may be so bold as to offer an opinion. This is not a matter to leave until the morrow. I see you have among you one who rivals Samson," he says, indicating Ivan, "so digging a common grave should present no particular problem. If you gentlemen would be so kind as to accompany me to the Altumber family cemetery, there you shall find a place where deceased servants have been laid to rest. Surely His Lordship and Her Ladyship can have no objection, given the evident great age of the remains, and the impossibility of exact identification. We should have just enough time for a brief prayer for their souls before I am required at chapel.

"As far as the medallions, even an eye as untrained as mine can tell that they are of very unusual design, and might interest an antiquarian learned in such matters. However, if you decide to inter them with their deceased owners, that is certainly your decision to make."

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discrete inquiry of certain servants who are more versed in the secrets of Highdark Hall than one might suspect reveals the information that Miss Ravenscroft is currently engaged in experiments in natural philosophy, Lord Highdark having indulged her eccentricities by providing her with a small but adequately supplied laboratory, instead of the usual gifts of jewels and fine clothes. By this time, Miss Ravenscroft has grown to place a certain amount of trust in the adventurers who accompany the French magician to whom she wrote, and has yielded the information required to access the laboratory. In brief, one first obtains admission to Miss Ravenscroft's bedchamber on the second floor, enters a hidden stairway via a nearly invisible entryway, climbs two flights of narrow stairs in total darkness, and emerges, via another secret door, into the room. Herein are found alchemical equipment, prisms, a fine microscope, and so forth.

During her conversation with William, Miss Ravenscroft elicits great interest in what was found.

"I suspect, though I cannot be certain, that the green glowing light came from a substance which might be of great use to me in my researches. If I am correct, it produces a hitherto unsuspected form of motive power; a sort of 'cold fire,' if you will.

"As to the marks left by what appears to be a creature of great size, I can only speculate. Some time ago I was engaged in a series of experiments involving the growth of brutes. I achieved only modest success; rats the size of fleas, and mice as large as cats. It occurs to me now that some of the elixirs which I developed at that time went missing. Whether this has anything to do with your as yet unseen badger of prodigious size, I cannot say. Such an animal would be a great danger to man and beast."

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it only right that the medallions be buried with their owners," says Henry.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 am
by SunlessNick
"Both matters seem worthy enough of attention, Miss Ravenscroft," says WIlliam. "How large could do you think one of your elixirs could make a fox? We saw a nest of kits in the same cave, but the creature had not molested them."

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am
by jp1885

Curiosity gets the better of Lepus.

"Aye, we should bury them with their owners forthwith... though if old Lepus may cast his eyes over them first..."

If the others are willing, he will examine the medallions and make a note of any interesting runes and inscriptions. However, as he is also keen to see the pilgrims put to rest, he will not take too long over this.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am
by Rooter
Vincent also examines the medallions, should some aspect of them suggest something to his Esoteric Knowledge.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also examines the medallions and sketches the symbols upon them.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"Both matters seem worthy enough of attention, Miss Ravenscroft," says WIlliam. "How large could do you think one of your elixirs could make a fox? We saw a nest of kits in the same cave, but the creature had not molested them."
"The Elixir of Diminution, if applied in the proper amount, might reduce such to the size of mice. The Elixir of Augmentation, similarly made use of, would perhaps increase a beast of this kind to the size of a bear."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Curiosity gets the better of Lepus.

"Aye, we should bury them with their owners forthwith... though if old Lepus may cast his eyes over them first..."

If the others are willing, he will examine the medallions and make a note of any interesting runes and inscriptions. However, as he is also keen to see the pilgrims put to rest, he will not take too long over this.
Spoiler:
INT = 15 + 1 Esoteric Knowledge = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Lepus is able to detect, upon one of the medallions, a blessing, inscribed in crude Latin, which is said to protect the wearer from all poisons.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent also examines the medallions, should some aspect of them suggest something to his Esoteric Knowledge.
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Similarly, the Frenchman discovers a medallion inscribed, in a mixture of French and English, with a blessing which allows the wearer to see clearly in any situation where there is the least bit of light, such as a large room lit by a single candle, or a moonless, cloudy night, in which a single star shines. He realizes also that such a blessing cannot have any effect in absolute darkness, such as deep underground.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry also examines the medallions and sketches the symbols upon them.
It is quite obvious to the learned man of science that the medallions are inscribed in a hodgepodge of languages, as if they were carried by a party of persons as confused in their tongues as the inhabitants of Babel. They also seem to be blessings of some sort.
Spoiler:
This will be based on WIS = 11, more a matter of intuition than knowledge[dice]0[/dice]
Although the preternatural is a field of study outside his usual area of knowledge, his experiences with the uncanny have given him a feeling for such, to the degree that he can infer that all the medallions, save those already discovered by the pair of magicians, as inspiring as their messages might be, are without true supernatural power.

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:26 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"The Elixir of Diminution, if applied in the proper amount, might reduce such to the size of mice. The Elixir of Augmentation, similarly made use of, would perhaps increase a beast of this kind to the size of a bear."
"That is certainly large enough to have produced the traces we discovered," says William. "It sounds like a remarkable discovery. There are many times we might have been grateful for such a thing on the battlefield."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"These other medallions each have blessings inscribed on them," says Henry, "but the blessings are just words. These medallions have no intrinsic power. Clearly they did not protect their owners."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am
by jp1885

"This one will protect against poison, but not, it seems, being hacked to death."

Lepus pockets the amulet, grinning ruefully.

"The good pilgrims will not have much use for it in Heaven, yesno? Come, a grave we have to dig."

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "Ivan is more than capable of the job. Let us go."

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"The Elixir of Diminution, if applied in the proper amount, might reduce such to the size of mice. The Elixir of Augmentation, similarly made use of, would perhaps increase a beast of this kind to the size of a bear."
"That is certainly large enough to have produced the traces we discovered," says William. "It sounds like a remarkable discovery. There are many times we might have been grateful for such a thing on the battlefield."
"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party proceeds with their pious, if melancholy, errand. A simple grave is dug, quiet prayers are said, and the remains are laid to rest. Requiescat in pace.

Once the ceremony is performed, and the adventurers prepare themselves to make their way to chapel, if so they choose, curious sounds are heard, consisting of deep growls and loud chattering. It seems to be coming from beneath the ground, of all places.

To the astonishment of all, a beast the size of a large man emerges from the earth, burrowing its way out of the graveyard with large, curved claws. In all ways save its unusual size, it resembles a common badger. It snarls aggressively and, as if drawn to him in some unholy manner, charges at the Reverend Mister Frye.
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 2 = 11[dice]0[/dice]
That worthy gentleman cries out in fright, turns away as if to run off, but collapses to the ground in a swoon. The unnatural creature flies at him, intent on attack.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ivan, protect the Reverend!" calls Henry, leveling his pistol at the giant badger and firing. Ivan draws his sword and rushes into the fray.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"
"Who in the house knows the means to enter this room?" asks William.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am
by jp1885

For a moment, Lepus gapes in wonderment at the huge creature, but quickly leaps into action.
While Henry and Ivan tackle the beast, he attempts to drag the prone Reverend Frye behind a gravestone.
If he succeeds in this, he will draw his dagger and crouch over the cleric in a defensive stance (mayhap the wanderer's miasma of personal odours will act as particularly pungent smelling salts).

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"
"Who in the house knows the means to enter this room?" asks William.
"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 10 - 2 for the badger's armor class = 8[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's aim is true!
Spoiler:
damage bonus of 1[dice]1[/dice]
The bullet strikes deep. Blood gushes out from the body of the creature.
Spoiler:
the animal these number of hit points:[dice]2[/dice]
With one final piercing shriek, the loathsome beast lies still.

After some time passes, the Reverend Mister Frye regains his sense, to find himself lying in the ministering arms of Lepus.

"What . . what happened?" he asks weakly.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"An extremely large badger attacked you, Reverend," says Henry, stating the simple facts. "I shot it dead."

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:13 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."
"Clever and curious enough to both discover the chamber, and to take the elixirs. How many transformations could the missing materials have worked? And did anything else go missing?"

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 am
by jp1885

"Aye, 'twas a fine shot."

As Lepus helps the bewildered cleric to his feet he looks at the giant badger and sighs sadly.

"Poor beast..."

With his dagger still in hand, he approaches the monstrous creature and performs a minute inspection of the carcass.

"Still, no point in mourning the loss of what is gone, yesno? Old Lepus wonders how it came to be so big... Heh, and mayhap the odd tooth or claw can be of use in our ministrations, eh monsieur le sorcier?"

He grins at Vincent as he hacks off a badger claw, muttering his apologies as he does so.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."
"Clever and curious enough to both discover the chamber, and to take the elixirs. How many transformations could the missing materials have worked? And did anything else go missing?"
"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the Reverend Mister Frye takes several steps away from the beast, trembling a bit, the others make such observations as they can. As far as can be determined, its body is in all aspects, save size, of normal structure. It is notable that its behavior was more aggressive than one would expect from one of its kind. Although badgers are not known for their sweet dispositions, this was in particular apparently saw fit to out-Herod Herod, as the Bard put it.

After regaining a certain measure of calm, the deacon rushes to chapel, where family and servants are gathered awaiting service. The guests may attend if they wish, or may spend their time in whatsoever manner they see fit.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would like to attend services," says Henry, "though I'd like to preserve the remains of the badger, which Ivan should be able to manage. Later I can study them in the laboratory and try to discover why it grew to such prodigious size and why it was so aggressive."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:09 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."
"Then we may presume that the thief wanted them specifically. And moreover that he had the knowledge to understand what they were."

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 am
by jp1885

Lepus will spend a few moments meditating at the grave of the pilgrims and then, with the giant badger dead, will head back to the Wormy Caves to investigate it's lair.

He will navigate by way of his lantern and talisman of Know Direction.

Mayhap he will peek in on the fox cubs along en-route, but will not disturb them unnecessarily.

If nothing of interest can be found within the lair, he will find a quiet spot and rest (his recent incantation having sapped his strength a little).

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am
by Rooter
Vincent attends the chapel service to pay his respects.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."
"Then we may presume that the thief wanted them specifically. And moreover that he had the knowledge to understand what they were."
"Indeed. Perhaps you and your companions would be so kind as to investigate the matter, as the person responsible would no doubt go to ground were I to make inquiries myself."

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent attends the chapel service to pay his respects.
Spoiler:
The Reverend Mister Frye being a cleric of True Innocence, those who attend the service obtain one Faith point, used to reattempt one unsuccessful roll of the dice, due to the inspiration his piety provides.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I would like to attend services," says Henry, "though I'd like to preserve the remains of the badger, which Ivan should be able to manage. Later I can study them in the laboratory and try to discover why it grew to such prodigious size and why it was so aggressive."
"You go, I work," Ivan suggests. Perhaps this is due, in part, to the fact that he would be more used to the ceremonies of the Russian church than those of the English.

In any case, samples of the creature are obtained and, with as much alacrity as possible, preserved in spirits of wood. If one may peer into the future, one might see that further experimentation will elicit the information that the animal's blood contained a small amount of a strange substance, not easily identified. Furthermore, this substance appears to have distorted the beast's brain, changing its shape and nature of its convolutions.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus will spend a few moments meditating at the grave of the pilgrims and then, with the giant badger dead, will head back to the Wormy Caves to investigate it's lair.

He will navigate by way of his lantern and talisman of Know Direction.

Mayhap he will peek in on the fox cubs along en-route, but will not disturb them unnecessarily.

If nothing of interest can be found within the lair, he will find a quiet spot and rest (his recent incantation having sapped his strength a little).
The kits are seen being nursed by their mother, who yips at the intruder, but does not leave her brood. All else seems as it was before, with the green glow formerly observed neither brighter nor dimmer than before.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. Perhaps you and your companions would be so kind as to investigate the matter, as the person responsible would no doubt go to ground were I to make inquiries myself."
"It would my honour to do so, Miss Ravenscroft," says William. "I will pass on what you have told me. In the meantime, perhaps you would be willing to give some thought as to who in the household might have learning enough to identify these elixirs from among all your other creations - you have a much longer acquaintance with this place than we. For now, I shall bid you good day."

Taking his leave of Miss Ravenscroft (and idly wondering whether she too might make a intriguing conquest), William makes his way to the chapel where the others were bound.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am
by jp1885

Lepus chuckles, content that the foxes are safe with their mother. He presses on to the larger, rune-lined chamber and takes the larger tunnel that presumably led to the badger's set. He moves cautiously, listening for any signs of movement, just in case the badger that attacked them was not one and the same as the occupant of this lair.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry finds the service inspiring, and he thinks that Elizabeth would have enjoyed it had she been here. But of course, she would not have enjoyed some of the other happenings at Highdark Hall, not to mention that traveling would take a lot out of her. He resolves to tell her about the sermon upon his return home and makes a mental note to write about it in his diary.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lepus does not discover any evidence of any other creature inhabiting the cave.

All seems more or less quiet about the place for a day or so, despite the poorly hid animosity between Lord and Lady Highdark, as well as the mysterious disappearance of Miss Ravenscroft's peculiar elixirs. Georgina has managed to pay a brief, secret visit to her beloved Henry, a fact entrusted to the adventurers in grateful whispers. Despite this joy, however, there is another worry which troubles her innocent, sensitive soul.
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please continue onto Book the Second, Chapter the Third.