Page 1 of 1

Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil; Or, Chaos Viewed From Afar

Summer, 1789

Many an English heart is filled with gratitude that Providence has seen fit to place its owner upon that peaceful isle, now that the Continent has erupted in disorder. France seems to stumble on the brink of revolution, as may be illustrated by an assault on the Bastille, a fortress, armory, and prison symbolic of royal power.

England has its own woe. King George III is subject to fits of madness. Heaven be thanked that he retains the love of his subjects.

Peace reigns in the homes of our adventurers. After a simple but merry June wedding, Doctor and Mrs North enjoy the blessings of Hymenaeus, whilst their erstwhile companions better themselves with study and practice.

Doctor North:
Spoiler:
If one may raise a delicate subject, do the newlyweds intend to produce issue? One may assume that Doctor North is acquainted with ways to prevent this, as well as ways to make the dangerous business of childbirth less hazardous, although not entirely without risk.
Ines:
Spoiler:
You may choose to train an animal of any reasonable kind -- e.g. a raven but not a tiger -- to perform tricks and otherwise serve as a loyal companion. Or, if you prefer, you may add an additional form of entertainment to the skills of singing and dancing, such as juggling, legerdemain, fortune telling, etc.
Miss Davenport:
Spoiler:
You may acquire and become skilled in the use of any reasonable additional weapon, either preternatural -- e.g., silver bullets, ashen stake, etc. -- or natural -- e.g. a sword, crossbow, etc. In addition, you may choose to become an expert in the nature and weaknesses of a particular class of preternatural being -- e.g. revenants, spirits, fairies, monstrous animals, monstrous humans, etc.

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:40 am
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
While the care of Dr and Mrs North is no doubt the best Ines could ever hope for, one can only assume that a dragon's venom makes for a difficult convalescence. During that time, the Gypsy girl practices legerdemain as a means of keeping her body active before she is strong enough to dance again (she also thinks about ways to incorporate feats of conjuring so as to add spice to her dancing routines).

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am
by Rooter

During this time in her home city of London, Lila acquires a new pistol with a supply of silver bullets and works on improving her marksmanship for any challenges which may lie ahead. Following her recent travels she also focuses her preternatural studies on that class of being called spirits, knowing that preparation is essential and that this time of respite will not last for ever.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,While [b]Henry[/b] is afraid to lose [b]Elizabeth[/b] and/or a child in childbirth as he did [b]Julia[/b] and their son, he does want to have children. If [b]Elizabeth[/b] would rather not, he will use his medical knowledge to prevent it. If she does wish for children as well, then he will rely on his medical expertise to reduce the risks.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,While [b]Henry[/b] is afraid to lose [b]Elizabeth[/b] and/or a child in childbirth as he did [b]Julia[/b] and their son, he does want to have children. If [b]Elizabeth[/b] would rather not, he will use his medical knowledge to prevent it. If she does wish for children as well, then he will rely on his medical expertise to reduce the risks.
Spoiler:
Since Elizabeth is now an NPC, I have to go with my best interpretation of her character. It seems to me she would want a child. We'll deal with that situation a little later; say, Spring of 1790.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It so happens that Doctor North, Ines, and Miss Davenport all receive a missive from the same party. Aside from the individual greetings, the content is the same. (Ines may require some assistance in deciphering the letter, but this is easily obtained.)

I am directed to inform you that Mrs Henrietta Piper, with whom I believe you are acquainted, at least indirectly, is not long for this world. She wishes to receive you at her home at your earliest convenience.

In haste,

Hezekiah Crayle, executor.

Attached are brief instructions as to the best path to take to the aforementioned domicile. The Piper manor lies in the Surrey Hills, a particularly scenic, but somewhat isolated, area south of London, perhaps a day's ride.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:55 pm
by SunlessNick

"Is this the lady who directed you to the Pyrennes?" asks Ines of Miss Davenport.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I may be able to help her," says Henry. "It sounds unlikely that I can preserve her life, though I can but try, and failing that I can at least make her last moments more comfortable."

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 am
by Rooter

"Indeed," Lila replies to Ines. "Mrs. Piper has also given warning and advice in several other affairs of the preternatural. She clearly holds some special insight. i for one am curious as to how we may assist her and it is well that Doctor North should be on hand to ease her passing. Let us proceed forthwith."

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The journey to Mrs Piper's manor house is a slow and pleasant one, through rolling hills and past many a folly erected to please the eye of the traveler. The home is a modest but admirably situated one, located upon a rise which allows one a fine view of the large depression whimsically known as the Devil's Punchbowl.

Upon arrival the guests are greeted by Mister Crayle, a gentleman whose bespectacled countenance and severe manner of dress suggest a clerk and a Nonconformist. The few servants defer to him, as if he has taken over the duties of running the household.

"My Lord and ladies," he says by way of greeting, "thank you for responding to my letter in a timely manner. Mrs Piper is very weak. She wishes to speak to you privately. I will direct you to her bedchamber."

This done, he withdraws.

It can be seen at once that Mrs Piper, lying abed, is very thin and pale. Her eyes are watery, but she rewards her visitors with a smile.

"Good," she says. "You are here. Help me up. I have something to show you."

Although the guests may object to the wisdom of this, given her condition, she insists. With assistance, she is able to make her way to a corner of the room. By pressing on the walls in a certain way, a secret chamber is revealed. It is just barely large enough for a person of modest size, such as Mrs Piper, to enter. The interior is only dimly lit from without, but one can detect a peculiar object inside. It appears to be a metallic sculpture of a human head, resting on a pillar. No further details can be perceived without entering the tiny chamber.

"My source of wisdom, my destruction, and my legacy," Mrs Piper remarks, somewhat cryptically. She then falls unconscious, as if the effort of revealing this object was too taxing for her weakened condition.

Doctor North:
Spoiler:
As events proceed, it may be relevant to state whether Mrs North, née Carrow, has accompanied the other members of the party. Assume that she is not yet in a delicate condition.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry rushes to catch Mrs. Piper and has Ivan carry her back to the bed and ease her into it. Then Henry takes out his smelling salts to revive her.
OOC,Yes, [b]Elizabeth[/b] will come too. So far there is no indication that this will be dangerous.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 am
by Rooter

Meanwhile, her curiosity piqued by Mrs. Piper's cryptic remarks, Lila steps carefully inside the revealed chamber to examine the metallic sculpture.
Spoiler:
I hope that she is able to fit inside the chamber with the description stating 'a person of modest size'. If this is unfeasible I will edit the post. I would guess the characters' physical sizes from largest to smallest to be Ivan, Dr. North, Lila, Ines, Mrs. North.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mrs. Piper remains in an unresponsive condition, but her signs of life are stable. It seems wisest to return her to her bed for the moment.

Miss Davenport is able to squeeze into the small chamber, with little room to spare. The object is revealed to be made of brass, and has the shape of a nearly featureless human head, with only faint suggestions of nose, mouth, eyes, and so on. The pillar upon which it rests is unremarkable; it appears to be made of wood painted white, vaguely suggestive of marble.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:30 pm
by Rooter

"Hmm." Lila gives the brass head an experimental tap.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This action causes a hollow ring to resound within the head, as one might expect; what is more surprising, however, is the fact that it also causes a dull, reddish light to appear in the small depressions representing eyes, as if they were filled with miniscule dying coals.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:29 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines draws a sharp breath. "Why does she show us this?"

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

Once he is sure that Mrs. Piper is comfortable in her bed, Henry examines the strange object, curious as to what causes the red glow.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Close examination (as best as can be done, given the limited room) reveals no obvious source of the peculiar illumination; it is as if the brass itself glows in this manner, but only in the places resembling eyes. By placing one's hand carefully over the spot, one can determine that there is no difference in temperature due to this phenomenon; the entire head remains cool to the touch.

After some time examining the object, the witnesses are startled to observe the place resembling a mouth move slightly. From within the head there is faintly heard a single word spoken in a resonant whisper.

"Ask."

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry has seen enough strangeness in his travels that things like this no longer startle him. "Who are you?" he asks the head, which seems a reasonable question with which to start.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"My name is Legion, for we are many."

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am
by Rooter

"Perhaps it would be more pertinent to ask 'what are you'?" Lila ventures, trying to recall if she has come across mention of such a clearly preternatural being in her readings.
Spoiler:
Intelligence 11 + 1 Demonology[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Davenport is able to ascertain from certain arcane authorities that the object in question is known, simply enough, as a Brazen Head; that it answers all questions put to it truthfully, but may express itself in a manner which can lead to misinterpretation; and that it will respond only once per day to each person who addresses it.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 am
by Rooter

Lila explains her supposition to the others before turning back to the object. "Well, Brazen Head, I shall ask of you my question first. Mrs. Piper told us that you are her destruction and legacy. What did she mean by this?"

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"My mistress won much knowledge, and prospered; she won more, and withered. Soon I will serve another."

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines swallows, and asks "How did you come be what you are?"

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Before the world was, I am."

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"From what you've said, Miss Davenport, and its own statement to me," says Henry, "this thing must be demonic. That was a quote from the Bible, where the man had thousands of demons in him. Jesus Christ went to cast them out, and they said that to Him. They pleaded with Him to let them go into a nearby herd of pigs instead, which He did. Then the pigs ran off a cliff to their deaths. Perhaps I should have Ivan ask the Brazen Head how it can be destroyed."

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am
by SunlessNick

"Safely destroyed," adds Ines.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The faithful servant makes the inquiry as directed.

"Nothing can endanger he who can summon the Son of the Morning and bind Him to his will. Only the Light-Bringer can remove me from this plane."

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:18 am
by Rooter

"Meaning the devil himself, I presume," Lila muses. "I am not sure that destroying the head should be our aim, at least not until we have managed to ascertain the cause of Mrs. Piper's 'withering' if it is not from natural causes. While I am sure that Doctor North is correct in saying the thing is of ultimately demoniacal intent in its gifts of knowledge, the harm may lie in how the knowledge is used or misused. I think we need to ask it exactly what this knowledge was which Mrs. Piper supposedly won to render her thus if that is the case. Mrs. North, you still have a question remaining." As an aside, she adds. "I wonder if Mrs. Piper is intending to bequeath the head to one of us."
Spoiler:
Did Dr. North use his question when he asked who it is?

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
That is correct.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"We only have one question left for the day, so we should use it carefully," says Henry. "Is it wise for us to gain that knowledge, however, considering the state to which it has reduced our hostess? Perhaps we should instead ask something about her condition, so that I can treat her. We'll probably get straighter answers from her than we will from that head."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am
by Rooter

Lila concurs with this suggestion.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By this time Mrs Piper has recovered sufficiently to respond briefly to whatever inquiries may be made.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:59 am
by SunlessNick

Ines offers to find some water and light food for Mrs Piper, on the assumption that Miss Davenport and Dr North will better know what questions to ask her.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope you're feeling better, Mrs. Piper," says Henry, doing what he can to ease her suffering and improve her condition, as well as examining her to diagnose what ails her. "Do you know how you came to have this affliction?"

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst engaged in conversation with the suffering lady, Doctor North is able to make a preliminary diagnosis of chlorosis, also known as the Green Sickness, from the peculiar tinge it produces in the patient's skin (although this may be more properly described as excessive paleness, with a slight yellow tone, rather than true green.) The disease is most often found in young, unmarried women, although obviously that is not the case here.

After further discussion, another symptom not so obvious is elicited, to wit: An aversion to normal food, accompanied by a unnatural craving to consume such substances as sand and clay.

As to how this condition came about, Mrs Piper is unable to say. As the most obvious cause for similar diseases is loss of blood, and Mrs Piper is quite well-informed as to preternatural sources of exsanguination, she has taken all proper precautions against such. To put it crudely, this was not the work of a vampyre. Minute examination does not reveal even the tiniest wound which might explain this loss of a vital fluid. (If one may raise a delicate matter, Mrs Piper is clearly beyond the age at which persons of the female sex suffer the Curse of Eve, so this cannot be the explanation either.)

Exhausted by this examination and discussion, Mrs Piper falls into a deep and restful sleep, after being persuaded to take some nourishment from the kind Ines.

A knock on the door, once answered, reveals Mister Crayle.

"Mrs Piper appears somewhat improved," he remarks, "although I am not hopeful for recovery. Her decline has been slow but steady. One can only pray and hope.

"By the by," he continues, "did Mrs Piper happen to mention anything about a certain item she wishes to bequeath to one of you? I am afraid she has been uncommonly vague on this matter, perhaps due to her illness."

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 am
by Rooter

"I believe we know the item in question," Lila says. "Although we are still hopeful something may be done to prevent Mrs. Piper's passing. I wonder if we might question the servants as to any trips she may have undertaken or unusual guests received around the time her symptoms first began."

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time spent questioning the few servants, who appear to be simple, honest souls, it is ascertained that Mrs Piper rarely received visitors, although she occasionally went on excursions (as the party may recall from their previous encounter with her in Lancaster.) Rather she spent a great deal of time composing letters and alone in her chambers. The first signs of illness were noted by Cook; it is not surprising that this most valuable member of the staff is of sharper wit than most.

"Year and more ago the mistress started turning away my best dishes," this formidable woman relates. "Have to coax her like a baby to eat, the poor thing. Now she be wasting away, bit by bit. No cause I can see."

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did anything else unusual happen around that time?" asks Henry. "Had she gone on a journey shortly before it started?"

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"It seems to me 'twas just after the mistress came back from Lancaster that she took sickly. What might have happened there, bless me if I know."

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 am
by Rooter

in order to leave no stone unturned, Lila avails herself of the opportunity to investigate Mrs. Piper's chambers for any clues, looking over the contents of her writing table and bookcases and even the window sashes for any signs of entry.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
General search based on WIS = 12 + 1 for True Innocent = 13[dice]0[/dice]
If there is anything of interest in these areas, Miss Davenport is unable to locate it. It may be very well hidden from prying eyes; or, of course, it may not exist at all.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Henry says to Cook. "I'll go see how your mistress is doing." He returns to Mrs. Piper. "Did something unusual happen on your trip to Lancaster, or perhaps on the way back?" he asks her.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Unusual!" Mrs Piper makes a sound halfway between a cough and a laugh. "Sir, ever since I lost Mr Piper to an inhuman fiend, I have known nothing but the unnatural. Would that I could know again what it is to be unacquainted with the nether world which goes unnoticed by so many!

"As I recall, it was at Lancaster that I had words with Miss Davenport, who shares an interest in opposing these forces. Since then I have followed your most worthy actions. I need not speak of the methods used to keep myself aware of such matters.

"I returned here directly from Lancaster and was occupied for some time with arranging household matters; engaging persons to perform necessary functions and the like."

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:52 am
by SunlessNick

"Engaging whom?" asks Ines. "Who is new to the house?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Why, let me see," muses Mrs. Piper. "That would be Mister Crayle, I believe. Yes, I was in need of a clever and reliable person to handle matters of finance, and he has proven to be an invaluable aid."

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was wondering what might have happened then because that's when it seems your symptoms started," says Henry. "If we could find out what caused your condition, that may go some way toward treating or even reversing it."

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"As to that, I am unable to assist you. If this affliction is associated with some experience, none comes to mind."

After this further interview, Mrs Piper is once more fatigued and wishes to rest. As she is a courteous hostess even in her time of suffering, the party is invited to partake of victuals and stay the night, the manor possessing sufficient guests rooms to accommodate all.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 am
by Rooter

"I for one would be pleased to stay the night and further consider the matter," Lila says, mindful of perhaps being able to question the Brazen Head further on the morrow. "Will you also be staying, Mr. Crayle? And, forgive me if you cannot answer, but I wonder does the unfortunate Mrs. Piper have an heir set to inherit her no doubt valuable estates and fortune upon her passing?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am in residence here, Madam. Mrs Piper's affairs requiring much time, we have found this to be a convenient and pleasant arrangement. As to the inheritance, I am afraid that, despite my best efforts, it is not quite as extensive as one might expect, Mrs Piper being of charitable nature, although I believe there are several curious items made part of her legacy. I am not privy to the names of her heirs, but it is my understanding that they are a numerous and varied lot, Mrs Piper having no issue nor other close kin."

All arrangements being made, the guests enjoy a meal of better than average quality. It is a sad fact that Mrs Piper is unable to join them. Cook, much concerned, reports that she accepts only a small amount of gruel.

The night passes uneventfully. In the morning it can be observed that Mrs Piper's condition is worse, the unnatural tinge of her skin more pronounced. She also refuses all nourishment, and is unable to communicate intelligibly.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm
by SunlessNick

While they are alone - perhaps during the night - Ines confides to Miss Davenport that she suspects Miss Piper's condition is the doing of someone in the house rather than an intruder or an event that took place in Lancaster. Mr Crayle is the only newcomer Mrs Piper mentioned, though Ines is uncertain how much opportunity he would have to afflict her in secret.

During the day, she mingles with the female servants, playing the part of Miss Carrow's maid, and tries to glean if any have only recently been taken on (considering that someone of Mrs Piper's class might perhaps have neglected to account for domestic staff when answering the Gypsy's query).

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Before we turn in for the night," suggests Henry, "Elizabeth should ask the head a question. Perhaps how Mrs. Piper's condition can be cured?"

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Conversation with the servants reveals that Mister Crayle is the only new member of the household staff. Being of a somewhat higher class, they do not have much contact with him, but he is generally thought to be a quiet sort of fellow, neither overly familiar nor proud of his position.

In response to Mrs North's inquiry, the Brazen Head makes answer thus:

"Triturate a handful of dried foxglove leaves and dissolve in a dram of aqua vitae. This will end her suffering after it is consumed."

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I should have suspected the Brazen Head would answer thus," says Henry. "End her suffering indeed! Foxglove is a deadly poison."

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:16 am
by Rooter

"Mrs. Piper's condition is worsening," Lila says urgently. "We must act swiftly if anything is to be done to save her. She might not see tomorrow. Ines may well be correct in her suspicions concerning Mr. Crayle. I suggest one of us should keep a watchful eye on him. In the meantime, given that Mrs. Piper's symptoms such as the consumption of sand and clay appear to defy natural science I shall attempt to discern if there is any potential preternatural involvement." She heads off to consult the book on demonology she carries with her for any references to such strange cravings.
Spoiler:
She has one 'Book on Demonology' listed in her equipment though I am not sure if this is sufficient for the purpose.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
This would seem a reasonable use of the Demonology skill. INT = 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 True Innocent = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Careful research into such bizarre symptoms reveals that no such behavior has been associated with any form of the preternatural. Rather it seems to be strictly a question for Natural Philosophy, whether it be the result of imbalance in the four humours, a phrenological abnormality, or some other natural cause.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure what more I can do for her that I'm not already doing," says Henry. "We do have another set of questions we can ask the head, but given our previous results, I wouldn't expect it to yield much. Still, perhaps one of us could ask it what caused her condition. I have a feeling that if we could figure that out, we may be able to reverse it, or at least to buy her some more time. It could be that Mr. Crayle is responsible in some way, but we will need more information about him."

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps one of use should watch her during the night," suggests Ines. "If her problem is of this world, it must be illness of poison, and if it is poison it must be given to her somehow."

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent suggestion," says Henry. "Of course, poison could just as well be administered in the daytime. We should make sure that at least one of us is with her at all times, and we should post a watch at night. We may want to take shifts for that, and it might be a good idea for whoever is on watch to hide. A visible guard would be a deterrent, but that wouldn't solve the problem. We want the culprit to show up so we can catch him in the act. Otherwise, he may just wait until we've gone. We can't guard her forever."

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This appears to be a strategy of great virtue. It remains to be seen who shall undertake it, at what times, and in what manner concealed.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can stay with her during most or all of the day," says Henry. "That wouldn't look unusual, as I am caring for her and trying to treat her condition. Perhaps the best time to spring our trap is when I finally leave. The culprit may be impatient after waiting for hours for me to step out of the room and might not wait long after I'm gone, little knowing that someone else is lying in wait. The compartment housing the head would be a good hiding place, as it seems designed for concealment."

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 am
by Rooter

Lila concurs with this idea. "Given the compartment's small size it would need to be myself or Ines concealed there."

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:29 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines expresses willingness, though she visibly shivers at the thought of spending the night with the demonic head.
OOC:   See also my comment in the OOC thread.  

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two valiant ladies agree to take turns concealed within the secret chamber, which may be kept just slightly ajar, in order to observe any skulduggery which may occur during the night, this being a tedious and difficult task which would greatly try the patience of a single individual.
Spoiler:
1 = Ines 2 = Miss Davenport[dice]0[/dice]
At some point during the time when Ines keeps watch over the gloomy interior of Mrs Piper's bedchamber, lit only by moonlight penetrating the single window, a most peculiar event occurs. From the ceiling, through a small aperture which opens silently, a length of twine descends. At its end is tied a stone about the size of an infant's palm. It is lowered until it is just above Mrs Piper's forehead, where it remains for a time. Afterwards, it is raised from whence it came, there being no other evidence that it was ever there.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am
by SunlessNick

As soon as the aperture is closed Ines steels quickly out of the room and alerts the rest of the company. The miscreant must be in the space above the room, or just leaving it, and may be intercepted - she wonders if she should have tried to cut the twine and take the stone, but at least the culprit will be unaware.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm
by Rooter

"Peculiar, indeed. Let us proceed quietly in order not to warn them of our coming. Can we identify which chamber lies directly above?"

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Silent investigation reveals that the object descended from an attic, in an area directly above Mrs Piper's bedchamber. By the dim, wavering light of a candle, it can be seen that a complex clockwork mechanism controls the peculiar device's movements, as well as the sliding back and forth of the small aperture from whence it came. As of yet, it does not seem that anyone else is aware of the party's activities; apparently all other persons are sound asleep.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I could probably sabotage the mechanism," says Henry, examining it. "I could just prevent it from opening - or maybe also cause it to make a loud noise when someone attempts to open it. Of course, now that we know that the miscreant uses the attic, we can hide there tomorrow night and catch the fiend. Still, there may be things we can do tonight. Whoever did this is likely to still be awake, and Crayle is my first suspect. We can see if he's in his room and whether or not he is clothed and awake, though that may arouse his suspicions."

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:58 am
by Rooter

"If the clockwork device is cleverly automated then perhaps the perpetrator does not need to be awake nor even to come up here in person," Lila suggests. "Can you ascertain if this is the case? If so, we can at least as you say disable it in order to spare Mrs. Piper from more harm even if we cannot expose the fiend. I should like to know what this strange stone is, though, and how it could cause such effects." She peers closely at the object in question.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The small stone is of a black color with a metallic luster, and appears to consist of an assemblage of octahedral crystals.

The clockwork mechanism can be seen to be extraordinarily complex, even upon casual examination.

Obtaining any further information that this, or attempting to obtain the stone or disable the mechanism, would require great stealth to avoid producing an appreciable amount of noise. The same may be said of an attempt to observe the bedchamber of Mr Crayle, or, for that matter, any other member of the household.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If I were to sabotage the mechanism, or simply remove the stone, we'd risk making a lot of noise," says Henry. "It would require incredible stealth. Perhaps you should try, Miss Davenport, and I could walk you through what you would need to do."

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:52 am
by Rooter

Lila agrees. "Let us attempt to retrieve the stone so that it can be studied further."

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 18; I don't think the True Innocent would be close enough during this expedition into a remote and secluded place to warrant the bonus point.[dice]0[/dice]
The intended excursion is accomplished skillfully, Miss Davenport moving, as the saying goes, as quietly as a church mouse. She returns to her companions with the stone in hand.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well done," says Henry. "We can examine the stone in privacy. I should be able to determine something of its physical properties, and in the meantime it will cause Mrs. Piper no further harm. It may be harmful to us, though, so we had best be careful with it."

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 am
by SunlessNick

"Does this machine remind anyone else of Roterstein's works?" asks Ines.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While the others contemplate that provocative question, Doctor North is easily able to determine that the object is a lodestone, obvious from its affinity for iron and steel. It appears to be an unusually powerful sample of that extraordinary mineral, judging from the difficulty he has pulling his surgical instruments away from its grip. As to its purpose as part of the curious device discovered, that is not so clear.

Mrs Piper continues in her fragile condition, neither worse not better.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"The thought had crossed my mind as well," says Henry. "The alternative is that there's another fiendish, brilliant inventor around. Of course, whenever he comes up with a name for himself, it's always some translation or variation of 'red stone.' I'd recognize him if I saw him again - and vice versa. This stone is a lodestone, similar to one I have in my possession from that cabinet of curiosities, but this one is far stronger. Magnetism may affect the human body in unknown ways. Blood contains iron, after all. This may have been the cause of Mrs. Piper's condition, though she is not improving with it removed. Still, at least she is no worse, and she may improve with time. We may want to stake out the attic, in case the culprit returns to check on the device when it no longer functions. We could also ask further questions of the head, for whatever that's worth."

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 am
by Rooter

"I have been wondering why anyone would wish harm to befall Mrs. Piper. Since she has no great material wealth to obtain it strikes me that possession of the Brazen Head is the likely goal of the perpetrator."

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think you must be right," says Henry. "If we could get a look at her will, we could see who she intended to get the Brazen Head."

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am
by Rooter

"Indeed, perhaps it is time we spoke with Mr. Crayle. The question is, can we trust him?"

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no urgent business at hand, Mister Crayle is quite willing to be interviewed by whichever members of the party wish to do so, and under what circumstances they deem fit.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we question the Brazen Head first?" asks Henry. "Granted, even asking it simple questions is likely to result in needlessly cryptic answers, but it may be worth a try. I could try asking it who its new master will be after Mrs. Piper passes on."

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am
by Rooter

"Very well," Lila agrees. "I shall try asking it who constructed the machine in the attic."

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The responses to these two inquires are as follows.

"Whosoever seizes me."

"It was built by a man named Heinrich Müller."

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:56 am
by SunlessNick

"I could ask the head by what other names Heinrich Müller goes," suggests Ines.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a thought," says Henry, "After that, Elizabeth and Ivan still have their questions that can be used to follow up."

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Image

"I could ask the head by what other names Heinrich Müller goes," suggests Ines.
The head seems to chuckle a bit.

"His close friends call him Heinie."

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I see the head is helpful as always," says Henry. He directs Ivan to ask the head with whom in this house Heinrich Müller is working.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Heinrich Müller works for no one."

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:42 pm
by SunlessNick

"'With' becomes 'for,'" says Ines. "I wonder how Mrs Piper got anything out of this head."

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever wants this thing obviously hasn't spent time talking to it, or it wouldn't be such an object of desire," says Henry. "That name is the one useful thing we got out of it, and that won't do us a lot of good unless we know what he looks like. Elizabeth, would you please use our last question for the day to ask it for a description of this Heinrich Müller?"

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Heinrich Müller is a short, very slender man of middle years, with thin, sandy hair, pale blue eyes, and a blotchy complexion. He is currently wearing a finer suit that he has usually worn. If you encounter him, you will find that he is extremely quiet."

After contemplating this unusually lengthy answer, it will occur to the party that this description does not fit well the appearance of any person with whom they are acquainted.

Meanwhile, Mister Crayle makes inquiry, now that he is aware that Doctor North is a physician, if there is any treatment for Mrs Piper's ailment.

"If not, I am afraid that I must begin the arrangements for managing her estate, as modest as it may be. The situation would, of course, be much simpler if I knew where she has secured her will. I am nearly certain that such a document was prepared, witnessed, and signed before I entered her employment, but I had not opportunity to determine its location. Now, of course, the poor lady is unable to communicate this information. It is a regrettable situation for all concerned."

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I believe I've stablised Mrs. Piper," says Henry, realizing that Heinrich Müller must be dead and that someone else is exploiting the mechanism he created, "but I haven't yet exhausted every possible avenue of treatment. I'm not prepared to give up hope. Still, my companions and I can try to locate the will for you. We can conduct a search of the house, if you'll allow us the run of the place."

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am entirely at your service, my lord. Please keep me informed of any unusual discoveries you may make."

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:09 am
by Rooter

"Speaking of unusual discoveries, I wonder, Mr. Crayle, whether you are familiar with this curious type of stone we found in the attic," Lila says, showing the lawyer the lodestone removed from the device while watching him carefully for any signs of recognition.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
His INT = 9[dice]0[/dice]
"I cannot say that I am familiar with such. It is quite heavy for its size. It is perhaps some sort of precious stone in an unrefined state?"

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is a lodestone," says Henry. "A rather strong one."

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see. How curious. I suppose it may be of some interest to natural philosophers."

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 am
by Rooter

"If Mr. Crayle is guilty of any wrongdoing then he certainly conceals it well," Lila remarks to the others once the lawyer is out of earshot. "Where shall we begin searching for Mrs. Piper's will? We have exhausted our questions for the brazen head this day, not that I suspect it would have been very helpful in any case."

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It may be of interest to the party to examine a sketch of Mrs Piper's modest manor home.
Spoiler:
Link given below; I can't make the image anything less than gigantic.

https://www.thewbba.com/wp-content/uplo ... r-plan.jpg
It will be noted that the upper floor, not shown, consists of the guest rooms currently inhabited by the adventurers, as well as servants' quarters. Having been in residence for some time, the party may presume that nothing of particular interest is to be found there. The southeast bedchamber is that of Mrs Piper; note the room connected to it, which serves general purposes, as well as the necessary room adjacent, which is also connected to the hallway. The southwest bedchamber has been used by Mister Crayle since he has been in residence; note a similar room connected to it, as well as the room adjacent, but not connected, which serves for storage. The unlabeled rooms in the northwest corner are the small kitchen and larder. The so-called salon also serves as the dining area; or so it did when Mrs Piper was able to tolerate victuals.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:15 am
by SunlessNick

"Could it be concealed within the alcove with the head?" ask Ines. "The thing can at least be counted on to distract the eye."

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's worth a look," says Henry. "I'd like to try an experiment with the lodestone. If we could catch a mouse, I could try dangling it over the creature to see if it has any effect on its appetite."

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Close examination of the small alcove wherein the Brazen Head is located reveals nothing else.

Vermin being a universal inhabitant of even the finest estates, experimental mice are easily obtained. Exposure to the lodestone for several hours is observed to induce fatigue, paleness and dryness of skin, labored breathing, difficulty walking, rapid heartbeat, and reduced appetite in the creatures.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:55 am
by Rooter

"Manor houses, even smaller ones such as this, are often known to hold concealed chambers and passages," Lila suggests. "The bedchambers and their connecting rooms seem like a possible place to search for such. Perhaps some false panels or a hidden doorway or the like."

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It so happens that Mister Crayle will be absent for some hours this day, having been called away on an affair of business which is of no great importance, but requires his presence at another place. This should allow the party sufficient time to search throughout the manor, provided that they engage in this pursuit simultaneously.

It is evident that the more rooms that are searched, per the sketch provided, the more chance of locating anything of interest located in the house; contrariwise, it is equally true that more persons searching one room at the same time increase the probability of discovering something within it, provided that it be there at all.

It is a pretty puzzle to determine which members of the party should search which areas of the manor.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"As I suspected," says Henry. "The mice shows similar symptoms to Mrs. Piper, and the lodestone is the cause. We need to remove it from the premises. We don't want it to affect us either. After that, I should like to search Mr. Crayle's room while he is absent."

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am
by Rooter

"Very good. Meanwhile, since we must act swiftly before Mr. Crayle returns, I shall go to the north side of the house and search the parlor and drawing room."

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Mister Crayle's room searched by Doctor North with, one presumes, Mrs North present to provide a source of inspiration. WISDOM = 11 + 1 TI = 12 [dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be anything of particular interest within Mister Crayle's bedchamber, or else it cannot be found, despite Doctor North's best efforts. He may choose to search another area whilst Miss Davenport continues her own investigation.
Spoiler:
Parlor: WIS = 12 [dice]1[/dice]Drawing Room: [dice]2[/dice]
The drawing room also proves to be of little interest. However, the parlor, where Mrs Piper often received remarkable guests prior to the time she fell ill, is more intriguing. Half-hidden among scattered pages of sheet music lying upon the spinet is a letter from a local apothecary, describing a method whereby one may prepare a palatable tonic derived from iron ore. It is dated not long after Mrs Piper first succumbed to her current illness, and is addressed to her "in regards to your recent inquiry." It is a notable fact that it was found in such a place, and not among Mrs Piper's other correspondence, which is well-known to be very well organized.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:14 pm
by SunlessNick

That leaves the salon for Ines.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"So someone other than Mrs. Piper sent to the apothecary for the recipe for this tonic," says Henry. "The iron ore may have similar effects to the lodestone, so she may still be exposed to the cause of her symptoms. I shall search Mrs. Piper's bedroom next. Perhaps there will be some of the tonic there, which I can then test on the mice."

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Glancing among the many books upon the shelves in the salon, Ines notices that one is out of place. Quite aware that this is a classic hiding place, she procures the book. It proves to be a slender volume, illustrated in a most unusual style by the author, a certain Wm. Blake, and containing poems dealing primarily with themes of childhood and innocence. It appears to have been privately printed by the author, and is no doubt merely meant to delight his own ego. Be that as it may, folded up and secured within its pages is a copy of Mrs Piper's will. Written in the peculiar language of the law, a full understanding of its contents is beyond the wise but poorly educated Gypsy lass. She must, at this moment, decide whether to replace it where it was found, or take the risk of bringing it to one of her fellow adventurers for interpretation, running the risk that person or persons unknown may become aware of its absence.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12 as before[dice]1[/dice]
While Mrs Piper is sound asleep, Doctor North is able to make a thorough search of her bedchamber. A small bottle of dark brown liquid is discovered beneath the bed, as if it had fallen there. It bears a label, lettered in an elegant hand, stating spiritus ferri. It appears to be completely full; upon closer examination, in fact, it can be seen that the wax seal has not been broken. Similar to the dilemma which Ines faces, Doctor North must decide is securing the bottle for his own purposes is worth the risk of someone discovering that it is missing.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 am
by SunlessNick

For the moment, Ines replaces the will, but proceeds immediately to Miss Davenport to relate what she has found. It occurs to her that one of the adventurers could read the document in the salon itself, since whoever hid it is unlikely to check the hiding place while someone else is there (or look to closely at what that person is reading).

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry doesn't want to risk breaking the seal yet to do testing, not wishing to alert whoever had put the bottle there. He returns it to its hiding place for now, knowing he can check on it later at any time to see if the seal is broken, and lets the others know what he has discovered.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am
by Rooter

"All very mysterious," Lila remarks. "Who apart from the servants and Mr. Crayle could have access to Mrs. Piper's bedchamber? In any case, should we show the will to Mr. Crayle as requested or see if one of us can read it first? It may tell us something but then again doing so may be a breach of Mrs. Piper's wishes."

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Crayle has not yet returned," points out Henry. "I hardly think he could fault us for examining the will to...verify its authenticity. I'd be happy to read it. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm well educated enough that I should be able to translate it into understandable English."

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some difficulty making their way through the turgid legal language of the will, it becomes clear to the party that the bulk of Mrs Piper's estate, of no great size, is to be divided among several distant relatives, none known to the adventurers nor any living nearby. There are also modest amounts of money to be paid to the servants.

There is nothing out of the ordinary about all this. Two provisions which are of more interest is the fact that, if no relatives care to inhabit the manor, it is to be given into the hands of Mister Crayle, to be disposed of as he sees fit; secondly, that "a metal sculpture, of curious form" (and not otherwise described) is be given to Miss Davenport, "that it might aid her in her pursuits."

The sound of an approaching coach announces the return of Mister Crayle from his errand. The servants light the candles as the sun hangs low in the sky.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Odd that Mr. Crayle, who is new to this house, would be named in this will in the event that no relatives surface," says Henry, "and she only recently met Miss Davenport, yet both are mentioned in it. It must have been rewritten recently, and since he stands to benefit, I suspect he may have done it. We may wish to return the will to its hiding place and not yet let him know we've found it until we've had a chance to investigate further."

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:10 am
by Rooter

Lila agrees. "He has given us no reason other than circumstance to suspect him but what do we truly know of Mr. Crayle? Let us inquire as to how his trusting relationship with our host came about. I, too, am no expert in legal matters but perhaps it is the usual thing for a lawyer to handle the estate in this manner, though."

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the saying goes, talk of the Devil, and he's presently at your elbow.

Which is as much to say that Mister Crayle enters the manor at this moment, greets the adventurers politely but with few words, and makes inquiry as to the condition of Mrs Piper, or if there is anything else that has occurred during his absence of which he should be aware.

"If not," he continues, "I must make excuse, as my journey has left me somewhat fatigued. I shall direct the servants to prepare a simple repast of bread and cheese for me, than I shall retire. You may, of course, dine as you like."

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:43 am
by Rooter

"We would be pleased if you would dine with us, sir," Lila replies. "We are all fellow friends of Mrs. Piper's, are we not? I imagine you must have been well-acquainted with our good host even before she engaged your professional services, given the clear trust she has in you. Come, you must tell us how you met her. It can't have been easy for you to move out here alone to aid Mrs. Piper in her sickness. Where did you say your offices were?"

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mrs. Piper's condition is unchanged," says Henry. "At least she is not getting any worse. I do hope your fatigue isn't a sign of illness, Mr. Crayle. Perhaps I should examine you."

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Perhaps you are right, my lord. And as I have never been one to refuse an invitation from so charming a lady, I will dine with you, if only briefly."

It may be observed during the meal that Mister Crayle eats little, and that his claim to be fatigued is rendered believable by the paleness of his countenance and the sagging of his eyelids.

In response to Miss Davenport's inquiries, he explains that he became acquainted with Mrs Piper when they both happened to attend a salon in the city of Lancaster, where he was previously employed as a clerk for a shipping firm.

"Having a fair opinion, if I do not overly flatter myself, of my knowledge of law and finance, acquired through experience rather than formal education, she was kind enough to offer me this position. As it was clearly superior to my previous position, and I had neither wife nor kin to keep me in Lancaster, I accepted.

"And may I be so bold as to inquire in what manner you came to be acquainted with that unfortunate lady?"

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Crayle, I fear you may be developing some of the same symptoms as Mrs. Piper," says Henry, realizing that his suspicions may have been misplaced. "You are already losing your appetite, and the fatigue you feel may also be due to a similar condition."

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Dear me, how distressing. I confess that I do not entirely feel myself, but I hope I am not fated to fall into the same condition as Mrs Piper. Is there any preventative which you might suggest?"

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 am
by Rooter

"As I recall, we first met poor Mrs. Piper in the audience at a theater in London," Lila replies. "The Belle's Stratagem, I believe it was, though I was somewhat inebriated at the time due to a prior encounter with a sailor. In any case, she and I have a shared interest in the preternatural."

At the disturbing suggestion that Mr. Crayle may also be afflicted, she calls over one of the servants to inquire if any of the staff in residence have also taken ill in the past year.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is quickly established that all of the servants are in good health, perhaps because they well away from the insalubrious vapors of London.

At this point Mister Crayle announces that, as pleasant as the company has been, he must retire for the evening. He seems a little better than before, whether it be from the conversation or good, simple victuals.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:08 am
by SunlessNick
[Rendered moot]

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I believe it was exposure to the lodestone that caused her symptoms," Henry tells Mr. Crayle as he leaves. "It has a similar effect on the mice I tried it on. The magnetic properties of the iron may be having some effect on the sanguine humours. Removing it keeps them from getting worse, but I'm still trying to find a way to improve her condition. We should examine your room carefully to ensure that there's nothing there that could be causing your distress."

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I have no objection," Mister Crayle remarks, "but, I beg you, please wait until the morrow. I confess that I am quite tired. I bid you all good night."

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it would be best to search now," says Henry. "If there is another lodestone or something else with magnetic iron in your room, you would be exposed to it all night long, with possible further ill effects."

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Hmmm. Well, I suppose it is of no avail to come between a physician and his diagnosis. Proceed, then."

The combined efforts of all of the investigators fails to find anything of interest in Mister Crayle's bedchamber. Meanwhile, he falls asleep in a chair, snoring quite loudly.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's leave him be," says Henry quietly. "If he awakens early, he'll get in bed. We should leave the room so we can discuss matters without disturbing him."

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 am
by Rooter

"i am still unsure about the fact of Mr. Crayle inheriting the estate. Unless someone can come up with a circumspect way of asking him about the legality of this provision we may need to show him the will. I suppose we might send the document away for verification by another lawyer though that would take time which Mrs. Piper may not have. Then there is the matter of the tonic discovered under her bed. Either way, given all that has transpired, perhaps we ought to keep alert overnight for further activities."

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm
by SunlessNick

"I wonder that he became ill once the two of you took apart the machine weakening Miss Davenport," says Ines.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is an interesting possibility," muses Henry. "When he started showing symptoms, I thought I had misjudged him, but we may still not be able to trust him fully. Still, I think we should 'find' the will in the morning and present it to him. I'd like to check on the tonic now to make sure the seal is still intact, and we may want to take shifts again tonight to watch Mrs. Piper from the alcove and make sure nothing untoward happens to her."

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After an uneventful night, the adventurers waken to discover that Mister Crayle has mostly recovered from his previous state of imperfect health, and insists on ascribing it to an unpleasant journey in a coach commanded by an inexperienced driver, as well as the wearisome task of undertaking such a trip on a dull but necessary affair of business.

Mrs Piper also shows some sign of improvement, in that she is able to take nourishment and converse for brief periods of time. However, whether it be the ravages of the illness, or the inevitable decay of the faculties to which all who reach a certain age are subject, her behavior and statements reveal signs of confusion. The vial, yet unopened, remains where it was.

During a quiet moment, Mister Crayle makes discreet inquiry of Doctor North as to whether Mrs Piper should be declared incompetent to run her affairs.

"It may be a mercy to her," he says, "and it would be no shame. Even His Majesty is heir such weaknesses of the mind, it is said."

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am
by Rooter

"Mr. Crayle!" Lila interrupts, coming in from the next room. "Ines and I were just in the salon and we found what appears to be Mrs. Piper's will!" She waves the document before him. "Isn't it curious that we are both mentioned in it?"

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"It must have been written recently, then," says Henry, watching Mr. Crayle's reaction. "Miss Davenport only met Mrs. Piper last year, and I believe your acquaintance with her is even more recent. As for Mrs. Piper's condition, I have seen that she is starting to improve this morning. It may be that she will yet make a full recovery in time, and I am not prepared to declare her incompetent at this point. I have heard such rumours of His Majesty, but even if they are true, I cannot imagine anyone trying to have him declared incompetent."

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I bow to your expertise, my Lord."

After examining the document for a time, Mister Crayle pronounces it in order.

"This appears to have been written in Mrs Piper's own hand, with which, of course, I am quite familiar. It is signed by two disinterested witnesses, as is proper. Yes, everything seems quite correct.

"I confess myself not entirely surprised by the provision which places me in possession of the manor should no other relation of Mrs Piper care to undertake such a burden. The lady had often expressed to me the fact that she had few living relatives, and those residing at some distance.

"As for the curious bequeathal to Miss Davenport, I must admit that I do not understand it, such an item being entirely unknown to me."

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 am
by Rooter

"The item is perhaps best described as an antique curio," Lila replies. "I doubt it has much intrinsic monetary value to anyone without an interest such as that shared by myself and our host. May I ask what you would intend to do with the estate should it fall to yourself, sir? Would not the crown or at least His Majesty's government usually take charge?"

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That would indeed be true had not Mrs Piper left specific instructions for its disposal. As things are, I shall endeavor to contact as many of her relations as may be located and inform them of the situation. I fear that both my fingers and my quills will soon be worn down!"

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you have any idea who might have hidden the will, or why?" asks Henry. "I'd think it would have to be one of the servants, and you know the staff better than anyone here."

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That is indeed curious," Mister Crayle replies. "I cannot fathom what motivation could have driven them to take such an action, as they have been generously provided for. Nor, if truth be told, can I imagine that any of them possess the education to understand the will. No, I am afraid you must look elsewhere for the culprit who wished to conceal this document from discovery whilst Mrs Piper was incapacitated."

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm
by Rooter

"There must be something we're overlooking," Lila muses.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about a visitor?" asks Henry. "Has Mrs. Piper received any other visitors recently before we arrived?"

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That is possible, although I cannot say for certain one way or the other. As you might imagine, I am often away for a day or two on various errands of business.

"It occurs to me that tradesmen are not uncommonly about the place, taking orders and delivering sundry items now and again, although I cannot imagine why any would be involved in such matters. During the early stages of her illness, there was much business with the nearest physician and apothecary -- gentlemen of unsullied reputation, I hasten to say -- but to no great avail."

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know what medicines Mrs. Piper has been taking?" asks Henry, curious if that tonic was one of them.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That is not known to me, my Lord, being a matter outside of duties."

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm
by Rooter

"And are we certain that the iron tonic discovered beneath Mrs. Piper's bed will harm rather than cure her? The fact that it was discarded unused might suggest she was prevented from taking it, just as the will was hidden."

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps we could catch another mouse for Dr North," suggests Ines.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I had been planning an experiment with the tonic," says Henry. "I hadn't wanted to break the seal, but at this point, I think it would be worth trying on some mice to see what effect it has on them. It may be harmful if the iron is magnetic, but otherwise it may prove helpful. I wouldn't want to try it on Mrs. Piper unless I was sure that it at least will cause no further harm."

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The next day is spent performing the type of experiment discussed. The results are clear. The tonic -- of course, only minuscule amounts are required for such tiny creatures -- restores the mice previously weakened by exposure to the lodestone to a state of vigorous health.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry quickly goes to administer the tonic to Mrs. Piper, hoping to restore her to health.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 pm
by SunlessNick

At the same time, Ines will look in the space above Mr Crayle's room, to see if there is a similar device to the one that afflicted Mrs Piper.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry quickly goes to administer the tonic to Mrs. Piper, hoping to restore her to health.
It does appear that regular, small doses have a salubrious effect, although the healing process is a slow one.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
At the same time, Ines will look in the space above Mr Crayle's room, to see if there is a similar device to the one that afflicted Mrs Piper.
Spoiler:
WIS=11[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps because the space is quite small and poorly lit, it is impossible to determine if there is anything amiss therein.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"The tonic appears to be working," Henry reports to the others. "It will take some time to restore her to full health, of course, and we still have to unmask whoever was responsible for her condition. If Mr. Crayle is still showing symptoms, I can give him some of the tonic as well, though we may need to order more from the apothecary. We should speak to the apothecary anyway and find out who delivered the tonic to this house, and who received it."

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 am
by Rooter

Lila asks one of the servants who has been responsible for arranging and administering Mrs. Piper's medications.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some discussion, the information is elicited that, to save the trouble of a journey to London, Mrs Piper sought the advice of a certain Doctor Browne, a retired physician residing not far away, in the early stages of her illness. There is also one skilled in the apothecary's art in the nearest village, by the name of Hardsworthy; however, to the knowledge of any of the servants, Mrs Piper has not done business with him for quite some time; not since one of his concoctions restored the health of a horse that had suffered from "the wheezes."

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like to speak to Doctor Browne," says Henry. "As a fellow physician, he'd probably be just as interested in speaking to me. If he prescribed the tonic for Mrs. Piper, I can learn that from him."

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A message is conveyed to Doctor Browne, who is quite willing to consult with Doctor North at his convenience, and meet with other members of the party. Doctor Browne being of somewhat advanced age and not as spry as he once was, requests that the visitors arrive at his home, which lies at no great distance, whenever they please. (The young manservant who has served as go-between is of the impression that Doctor Browne would be glad of company, as he is a bachelor gentlemen who does not often receive guests.)

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am
by Rooter

Lila elects to remain at the manor with Mrs. Piper.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:51 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines chooses to remain as well. While she now knows the layout of the house, she will take the chance to learn the same of the grounds as well.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst Ines and Miss Davenport remain about the manor, enjoying a modest but well-maintained garden, Doctor and Mrs North pay a visit to Doctor Browne. He proves to be a portly, gray-haired gentleman, dressed in a manner which suggests little concern for his appearance, and sporting a pair of spectacles as often seen upon his forehead as before his eyes. This being, to all appearances, a household without servants, Doctor Browne scurries about preparing tea with more enthusiasm than skill. After some idle chit-chat, he inquires if he is able to be of some medical assistance, obvious pleased that a physician from the great metropolis should wish to consult with an "old country sawbones."

Meanwhile, Mrs Piper's healing continues apace. Mister Crayle, who seems perfectly healthy, indicates in casual conversation with the ladies that business requires that he take his leave on the morrow, and that he may be away for one or two days.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you, Doctor Browne," says Henry, shaking his hand. "I'm currently caring for Mrs. Piper, and I understand that you were her physician during the onset of her symptoms. I was hoping to speak to you about what happened when she was under your care, and what medicines you prescribed for her."

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see. A most interesting case indeed. Mrs Piper's symptoms suggested an imbalance between Cytherean and Arean influences; not terribly uncommon in the female. I suggested that regular ingestion of the marital element would aid in correcting the problem. I have not heard from the lady for some time, however. Has there been any improvement in her condition?"

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am
by Rooter

"I presume that with the improvement in Mrs. Piper's health all is settled with her affairs?" Lila replies to the lawyer back at the manor. "But you must take care not to exert yourself unduly. I recall how fatigued you seemed after your last trip. Perhaps you might benefit from a dose of Mrs. Piper's tonic."

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Well, we shall see about that. I confess that I do not place much faith in medicinal concoctions, which seem as likely to harm as to heal. That Mrs Piper benefits from such is excellent news. No doubt in a few days she will be able to communicate intelligibly and make her wishes known."

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"There has now, but for a while before I arrived it had been getting worse," says Henry. He shows him the bottle of tonic. "Is this what you prescribed her? It proved most effective in treating her condition. However, she had not had any prior to my arrival. I found it hidden in her room, the seal intact. Do you know who delivered the medicine to her, and who at her house received it?"

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After locating his spectacles (which prove to be located on top of his head) Doctor Browne examines the vial closely.

"Ah, yes. Spirits of iron. The very thing I suggested. I directed Mrs Piper to contact the apothecary, what-you-may-call-him, Hamworker or some such, about obtaining such. I presume this was done, seeing as you have this in hand, but beyond my initial recommendation I am not aware of the details as to how this manufactured and delivered."

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you have an address for this apothecary?" asks Henry. "Perhaps written down somewhere, such as in a letter?" he adds, certain that Doctor Browne won't remember it, seeing as he can't even remember the man's name, let alone that he left his spectacles on top of his head.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some fumbling about with many sheets of paper, an address for Mister Hardsworthy is located, under a plate which, judging by crumbs found upon it, had recently held a simple meal. His shop is located nearby, in the small village which supplies such goods as are required by manor homes.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Doctor Browne," says Henry. "I shall have to look him up. It has been a pleasure speaking with you."

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a simple matter to pay a visit to Mister Hardsworthy, busy at work in his small shop, with the aid of a young lad serving as apprentice. Once introductions have been made, and he is made aware that Doctor North is a physician, he makes inquiry if the preparation of a nostrum is required.

Whilst this interview is underway, Mister Crayle sets out on his stated errand, and Mrs Piper recovers sufficiently to permit brief conversation.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Actually, you've already prepared it some time ago," says Henry, showing Hardsworthy the bottle of tonic. "You filled this prescription for Mrs. Piper, and it has proven very effective. Unfortunately, it seems to have been misplaced for a long time, and I'm trying to discover how that might have happened. She had been at Death's door before I found it and started to administer it. Do you have someone who rnade a delivery to the Piper house, or did someone come to pick it up?"

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"How extraordinary," Mister Hardsworthy exclaims. "This is indeed the tonic I prepared, as requested in a series of letters exchanged amongst Doctor Browne, Mrs Piper, and myself. I recall quite clearly that young Peter here delivered it a matter of some weeks ago. Didn't you, lad?"

"Yes, sir," Peter says somewhat shyly. "Gave it to the fine lady what opened the door. Brought my master the payment and all."

"Quite so," Hardsworthy remarks. "Account settled in full. How it came to be mislaid is beyond my imagining."

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 am
by SunlessNick

Ines takes care to observe the manner of Mr Crayle's departure, and as best as she can determine which direction he goes.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is evident that Mister Crayle goes alone, on horseback, and heads in a direction which leads neither to the nearest village nor to the road which runs to London.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 am
by Rooter

Meanwhile, Lila takes the opportunity to apprise Mrs. Piper of all that has transpired over the past few days. "While I am pleased that you considered me worthy of inheriting the Brazen Head, as I am sure Mr. Crayle is pleased to take care of your estate, I am most relieved that it will not come to pass. Was it yourself who concealed the will in the book?"

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Still somewhat weak, Mrs Piper replies "Concealed? Not I. For what reason?"

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"A fine lady, but not Mrs. Piper?" asks Henry. "Could you describe her? Did she give her name?"

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Young Peter blushes a bit.

"If word she said, never heard it I did. 'Twas most I could do to give vial and take coin. Hair like fire she had, most to the ground, and great wide eyes green as grass."

It is immediately evident that this description does not fit any person heretofore encountered. Mister Hardsworthy is of the opinion that the lad is given to fancies.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your help," says Henry. "I shall have to make inquiries at the house. Surely someone like that would be memorable."

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:38 am
by SunlessNick

Ines will not break in on the conversation between Miss Davenport and Mrs Piper, but will relay what she saw when Miss Davenport emerges - or when Dr North returns, if that happens first.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am
by Rooter

At Ines' news, Lila asks one of the servants who presumably have knowledge of the local geography what lies in the direction taken by Mr. Crayle.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When the adventurers are once again assembled, conversation with all in residence at the Piper estate fails to yield even one who admits to having seen a person fitting the description offered by young Peter.

In response to the questioning of Miss Davenport, it seems that Mister Crayle rode off into a wild and unsettled region of the Surrey Hills, just beyond the Devil's Punchbowl.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should try to follow his trail," says Henry. "He certainly left in an awful hurry once Mrs. Piper began to recover."

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being general agreement, it only remains to be decided which members of the party shall take part in the attempt to track Mister Crayle, and in what manner.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines would be able to show his initial direction more fully than she could tell it, so she will go.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think I should go with you," says Henry, "as long as Mrs. Piper's recovery is continuing apace. My wife could stay with her and keep her company, unless she wishes to go with us. I think I should bring Ivan, however. He may be needed should we find Mister Crayle and anyone he may be going to meet."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 am
by SunlessNick

"I should certainly be glad of the protection."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am
by Rooter

"I am hesitant to leave Mrs. Piper vulnerable if this mysterious woman should take the opportunity to return," Lila says. "Perhaps I should remain with her for now."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This being settled, and Mrs North glad of the company of Miss Davenport, the bold trio proceeds in the direction taken by Mister Crayle. The countryside being too rough for a coach, and, indeed, difficult of crossing by any but the most sure-footed, they are supplied with good horses. (The servants will, of course, assume that they merely wish to enjoy the scenic countryside.)
Spoiler:
Some time required for all the arrangements, this would seem to be more a matter of Tracking than Tailing. The area is little traveled, adding a +2 bonus for success against Wisdom; however, none of the party is trained in the art of Tracking [unlike Miss Davenport, who is not currently present], so there is also a -10 penalty. Let's see if anyone is lucky.

Doctor North: WIS = 11 - 8 = 3 [dice]0[/dice]

Ines: WIS = 11 - 8 but +1 for Animal Husbandry, in following a horse = 4 [dice]1[/dice]

Ivan WIS = 9 - 8 = 1 [dice]2[/dice]
It would seem that the area, full of rolling hills and depressions, covered with thick grass stirred constantly by the wind, makes following Mister Crayle's path nearly impossible, without the expertise of one adept at that difficult skill. Certain possibilities are sure to occur to the adventurers. One might wait for Mister Crayle to return, then follow him more closely when next he leaves the estate. There is, of course, no way of telling when this might be. The party might wish to return to the manor and enlist the aid of Miss Davenport, although this would entail some delay. Or, possibly they may wish to explore the unusual and beautiful natural amphitheatre known as the Devil's Punchbowl for any clews, this being an area subject to many legends as to its creation, and almost certainly a place where Mister Caryle has passed by, there being no other good path for one on horseback. Such a search is likely to prove fruitless, to be sure, but if nothing else it might provide pleasant diversion.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 am
by Rooter
Meanwhile, back at the manor, Lila decides to give the Brazen Head one more try.

"Head," she asks. "Who is the lady with hair like fire and eyes like grass that was in this house?"

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Brazen Head is apparently quite amused by this. After a burst of laughter, it answers.

"The one made from dust by the Enemy might have said 'That was no lady, that was my wife.' A jester will say that as well, one or two centuries from now."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 pm
by SunlessNick

"I think Miss Davenport is right to stand guard over Miss Piper," ventures Ines. "We may pick up the trail again at the Punchbowl."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She is the only skilled tracker among us," says Henry, "but she is also the best suited to protect Mrs. Piper, other than perhaps Ivan. We could go back and have him relieve her, but that would take time. We may as well look around while we're here, and then return if we don't find anything."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
For searching the area, saving rolls against WIS as before, no penalties. Same order of characters.[dice]0[/dice]
It is perhaps not surprising that Ines, born with the gift of intuition, discovers something unusual. It appears to be a lump of hardened clay, about the size of a man's head, upon which are written letters of the Hebrew language, Doctor North being able to recognize them.
Spoiler:
INT = 14 + 3 Gift for Languages = 17[dice]1[/dice]
He is also able to translate them quite easily. They appear to form the word met, meaning dead. Upon closer examination, it seems as if another letter was once inscribed before those spelling out this word, but it has been rubbed away so that it is illegible.

Further searching of the area does not yield anything else of interest.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard of this," says Henry, who knows all about rumored means of creating artificial life. "It's the old Jewish legend of the Golem. It's an automaton created from clay that can be used to perform various tasks. Sometimes they can be guardians, but this one has been disabled. When it's created, the Hebrew word emet, meaning truth, is inscribed upon its forehead. When the first letter, the aleph, is scratched out, that leaves the word met, meaning dead. At that point the Golem ceases to function. We could try reinscribing the aleph to activate it, but that could be dangerous. A Golem is a fearsome foe in battle, it is said, and we do not know this one's purpose. It could attack everyone who comes into the area, for instance. We could always rub out the aleph again if it proves to be hostile, but it may cause some damage first."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 am
by SunlessNick

"Why would such a thing be here?" wonders Ines. "If this the language of the Jews, must a Jew have made this 'golem?'" sounding out the last word carefully. She looks around, as if half expecting to see someone. "My father had litte good to say about them, but my mother reminded most people have little good to say about the Gitani either." (Dr North may discern that Ines is somewhat nervous of this find, and trying to fill the silence of the empty landscape).

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"In all likelihood a Jew crafted it," says Henry, "though I suppose it's possible to learn the technique. I admit to some curiosity as to how it's done. This looks like it is merely the head of the Golem. I wonder what has happened to the body...of course! Crayle must intend to affix the Brazen Head to it!"

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 am
by SunlessNick

"If that is his purpose, we have probably learned as much as we can here," says Ines. "We should return to the house - with Mrs Piper's recover, he may not mean to wait any longer."

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The bold adventurers return to the Piper estate without further incident.

Meanwhile, Mrs Piper has recovered sufficiently to inform Miss Davenport, now that they have a chance to be alone, that she wishes the Brazen Head to pass into her possession upon her demise, that it might not fall into hands that would use it for sinister purposes.

"Despite its annoying habit of concealing as much information as it reveals," she explains, "it has proved invaluable to me as a means of keeping myself aware of many things relating to the unnatural. Thus I have battled as best I might against such forces of darkness as that which left me a widow. I feel that I can trust you to avoid the temptation of using it in a selfish manner."

Some time after the others return, Mister Crayle appears, just as the sun is setting. As before, he seems fatigued and out of sorts, but insists that only a good night's rest is required to restore him to a full state of health.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's disturbing that your symptoms seem to be returning, Mister Crayle," says Henry. "Perhaps I should examine you."

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"As you like, my lord, although I suspect that sleep, that great healer of ills, shall prove the best physician."

A thorough examination yields no sign of disease, save for indications of severe fatigue, as if Mister Crayle has labored intensely for many days, or been deprived of slumber for an equal period of time.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I believe you are correct," says Henry. "Sleep is the best treatment for your symptoms of exhaustion, but that still leaves the underlying cause. Just what have you been doing that has left you so exhausted?"

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:05 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines will have brought the golem head back with her, but will not let Mr Crayle see it.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It will be noted that, given the very great weight of the hardened clay object -- much more so than one would expect -- the mighty strength of Ivan is required to lift it. Finding a proper hiding place for it will require some careful thought.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

In response to Doctor North's inquiry, Mister Crayle makes answer in this manner:

"I expect it is simply the necessity of riding hither and yon on dull errands of business which are necessary for the proper management of Mrs Piper's estate, but which offer little profit and less pleasure. I bid you good night."

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:16 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:It will be noted that, given the very great weight of the hardened clay object -- much more so than one would expect -- the mighty strength of Ivan is required to lift it. Finding a proper hiding place for it will require some careful thought.

"If the body is similarly heavy, moving must be very troublesome," says Ines. (The only way she can think of for Mr Crayle to do would be to drag it with his horse. When he has retired, she will venture to the stable to take a look at the horse he rode off on, and attempt to use her skill in Animal Husbandry to discern how haxing have been its exertions of the day).

Also, one Mr Crayle is out of the way, it may be worthwhile for Miss Davenport, and perhaps Mrs Piper if she is sufficiently well, to look at the golem head themselves - their occult knowledge may discern something Dr North's training in natural philosophy would miss.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"I bid you good night as well, Mister Crayle," says Henry. After he is out of earshot, he talks with the others. "Yes, you must be right. It cannot walk on its own, not unless it's activated, and it probably wouldn't be obedient to him if it were. But why not take the Brazen Head to the body rather than the other way around? Perhaps we could hide the golem's head in the secret chamber housing the Brazen Head, behind the pedestal on which it sits? We could cover it with a cloth or something. Though if he goes in there to ask the Brazen Head a question or to steal it, he may see it."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Inspection of Mister Crayle's horse shows no sign that it has undertaken any particularly arduous task. If anything, it seems to have been used only for a short journey.

It is impossible to place the large clay object within the hidden alcove without drawing a great deal of attention from Mrs Piper, who evinces a great interest in it.

"Apparently someone has attempted to create a golem, as you surmised," she explains. "Whether or not this effort was successful, and what might have become of the rest of its body, I am unable to say. I can tell you that such a being can only be brought to life by a person of the Hebrew religion, preferably a rabbi. Mere ritual is not enough, without the power of faith."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," says Henry, a bit regretful that he cannot learn the process himself. "What if someone were to place the Brazen Head on the body of the golem in its place?" asks Henry.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mrs Piper allows herself a shrug. "I cannot say what the results of such a bizarre experiment might be. I suspect that nothing good would come of it."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am
by Rooter

"Mr. Crayle is as yet unaware of the Brazen Head's location," Lila says. "Though he has inquired in what seemed an innocuous manner on several occasions. And this evidence of his horse indeed raises some doubts as to the truth of his statements. I wonder what his faith, if any, is? He hasn't mentioned and I don't imagine there is a large Hebrew contingent nearby. Perhaps we could draw him into discussion on the topic, or invite him to the chapel and mark his reaction."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discreet inquiry elicits the information from more than one of the servants that Mister Crayle has often been observed to spend Sundays in silent meditation. This, and the manner of his dress, suggests that he is a Nonconformist, possibly a member of the Society of Friends.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"If he is indeed a Quaker," says Henry to the others, "he should be opposed to the use of violence, and that would include poisoning. It is of course possible that he is not. If he does not know the Brazen Head's whereabouts, that may be the best place to hide the other head for now. Perhaps tomorrow if Mister Crayle leaves again, we can try again to follow his trail. Had you been with us, Miss Davenport, we might have been able to follow him better."

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A few days pass by quietly. Then, one fog-shrouded morning, Mister Crayle announces that his presence is once again required at another place in order to conduct some necessary business. He breaks his fast lightly with tea, bread, and marmalade, whilst the other guests enjoy a more substantial meal, with such choices as cold veal pie or kippers. His early departure allows for some time to go by before the adventurers follow his path, if they choose to do so.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 am
by Rooter

"I shall follow although I am still hesitant to leave Mrs. Piper unguarded. What of this unknown woman with hair like fire? The Head's riddle about her being 'no lady' leads me to wonder if she was perhaps an illusion, a Glamour created by one with such an ability."

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm
by SunlessNick

"Could the Head itself create such an illusion?" wonders Ines. "I am willing to remain with Mrs Piper. Whatever Mr Crayle's activities, either you or Dr North would be better able to understand them. And you may need Ivan's protection if it is dangerous."

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Henry. "I'm hopeful that nobody will try anything as long as Mrs. Piper is not alone."

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
That being decided, the party sets out to track Mister Crayle, with the aid of Miss Davenport's experience in such matters.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12 + 2 for an area not heavily traveled + 1 for Demon Hunter tracking; which implies that there is something, not yet fully clear, preternatural about this situation = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Her companions are quite impressed with Miss Davenport's ability to make use of subtle clues to follow Mister Crayle's path, while remaining out of sight of the fellow.

After some time, the adventurers catch sight of Mister Crayle, upon his steed, nearing a natural stone formation, something like a small cave or rock shelter, which lies not far from the Devil's Punchbowl. He dismounts and enters therein.
Spoiler:
General WIS checks for everybody, without adjustments. Doctor North = 11, Miss Davenport = 12, Ivan = 9[dice]1[/dice]
Doctor North and Miss Davenport both catch a brief glimpse of a figure within the cave who matches the description of the flame-haired woman, just before both she and Mister Crayle vanish into the darkness within.

All is well at the Piper estate. Mrs Piper engages in pleasant conversation with Mrs North and Ines. It is to be noted that she displays some familiarity with Gypsy lore.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to hear what they're saying to each other," whispers Henry, "or at least one of us does. Miss Davenport, you're by far the stealthiest of us. Do you think you could get close enough to overhear them unnoticed?"

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 am
by Rooter

Lila nods, and creeps silently toward the mouth of the cave.
Spoiler:
Dexterity 18[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Davenport is able to approach the cave without being seen by those within. There is no conversation between the two. Indeed, Mister Crayle seems to be in a somnambulant state, walking very slowly toward the woman with eyes wide open and unblinking. After they stand close together for quite some time, he turns away, now in a more normal mental state, but seemingly quite fatigued, judging by his posture and frequent yawns. The woman retreats deeper into the cave (although it is clear, from its modest size, that she cannot have gone very far.) Mister Crayle prepares to mount his steed.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pm
by Rooter
Lila hurries back to the others to report what she has seen.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines is intrigued as to where Mrs Piper learned of her people. She - perhaps with some help from Mrs North - also relates the events that took place in the Pyrennes. Since she was the one who sent us there, it may be of interest to her.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Further conversation makes it clear that Mrs Piper is well acquainted with many different varieties of arcane lore from various parts of the world. She confesses that she directed the party to the Chateau de Hautommes for the purpose of learning more about the phantom said to haunt the place, and to investigate the possibility that Isaac del Zaragoza knew something of the magic of the Berbers. That this exposed the adventurers to unexpected dangers is regrettable, and she requests their forgiveness.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Mister Crayle begins riding back in the direction of the Piper manor, seemingly oblivious to his surroundings.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"She must have seduced him, after a fashion," says Henry when Lila reports what she's seen. "She is draining him, though not in exactly the same fashion as a vampyre would. If we are to confront her, we may wish to have Miss Ines with us, and to be better prepared. We may also wish to continue following Mister Crayle to see if he makes any additional stops."

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 am
by Rooter

"Indeed, we should know what manner of creature we face before attempting to hunt it," Lila agrees. "It may be wise to confront Crayle with what we know first, for he may yet be a victim of coercion, as you say. Let us follow him."

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following Mister Crayle proves to be a simple task. He appears to be nearly unaware of his surroundings, letting his horse find its own way back to the Piper manor, nodding occasionally while mounted, as if asleep. Upon arrival at the manor, he shakes his head several times, as if to clear it, dismounts, turns the horse over to the groom without speaking, and enters.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"He certainly didn't seem himself," says Henry. "We can ask the head questions, for whatever good that might do, but I think we should talk to Mrs. Piper first. Then we can see if any of the books in her collection have any useful information."

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Inquiry as to the identity of the mysterious woman seen with Mister Crayle elicits no information from Mrs Piper. Being of a somewhat romantic nature, she suggests that what has been witnessed is no more than a secret rendezvous with a paramour. If anything, she seems to approve of such a possibility.

"As to his weak and distracted condition," she adds, "is not that the normal state of Man when entranced by Woman?"

The guests are certainly welcome to make use of any volumes present in Mrs Piper's library. The books being organized, if such a word can be used, in an unusual, even eccentric manner, if they are able to indicate the specific subject in which they are interested, she may be able to direct them to the appropriate tome.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 pm
by SunlessNick

"I've observed other grow all the more invigorated," says Ines - not quite wickedly enough to glance at Dr North as she does so. More soberly, she adds, "From the tale of the apothecary's boy, she still interfered with Mrs Piper's receipt of treatment. Her intention seems malign, whatever her nature."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is true," agrees Henry. "This woman hid the medicine that, once I discovered it, was able to restore you to health. She is clearly a bad influence on Mister Crayle."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see," Mrs Piper replies. "I had best give this mysterious woman a strong talking-to. Are you able to tell me whereabouts she might dwell? Surely the cave is merely a fanciful meeting place for the enraptured pair. I cannot imagine that a creature described so eloquently by young Peter as a 'fine lady' could spend much time in such a place."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"The cave is the only location we know where she might be found," says Henry, "but it would not be wise for you to go there by yourself. She may be more powerful than she looks. I suspect that she has some supernatural ability. We need to discover more about her before we confront her, and find out who - and what - she is."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:10 am
by Rooter

"indeed, I was going to suggest that Mr. Crayle himself might be our best source of information, however he may claim it is as Mrs. Piper says, an amorous liaison, even we offered to help him." Lila ponders. "This creature, which the Brazen Head has intimated is no 'fine lady' despite what young Peter might say, is not confined to the cave, since we know that she has been to the house before. I wonder if we could find a way to lure her here again? Also, Mrs. Piper, the Devil's Punchbowl is surely a source of many local legends which may hold some grain of truth. Perhaps you have a volume of such associated local lore in your library which might give mention of some clew since the apparent lair is there or thereabouts?"

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Davenport is directed to a section of Mrs Piper oddly arranged collection of books and documents dealing with local matters. The majority of these prove to be descriptions of the flora and fauna of the region, local history, and the like.
Spoiler:
INT = 11 + 1 for Demonology + 1 for the True Innocent being about = 13[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is, however, a quaint and curious volume penned by an eccentric clergyman of some years ago. Intuition suggests to the Demon Hunter that it is of relevance to the current situation.

The title of the book is Genesis Decoded; Or, The Hand of the Creator Revealed, With Particular Attention Drawn to a New Interpretation of Certain Landscapes of England. One chapter outlines the author's hypothesis that the natural formation known as the Devil's Punchbowl was, nearly six millennia ago, the site of the Garden of Eden, and that its current condition is due to the Fall of Man and subsequent expulsion from the Earthly Paradise. As evidence, the author points to certain peculiar marks upon the land, which he claims are inscriptions, that indicate that it was here that life was first breathed into dust.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Casual conversation with Mister Crayle elicits remarks suggesting that the time he has spent away from the Piper manor is, as he first stated, involved with minor matters of business. Subtle inquiry as to the exact nature of such, cleverly disguised as mere idle curiosity, produce various documents which would appear to confirm this; bills of sale and such. Mister Crayle appears to consider this a very dull topic of conversation.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:08 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The title of the book is Genesis Decoded; Or, The Hand of the Creator Revealed, With Particular Attention Drawn to a New Interpretation of Certain Landscapes of England. One chapter outlines the author's hypothesis that the natural formation known as the Devil's Punchbowl was, nearly six millennia ago, the site of the Garden of Eden, and that its current condition is due to the Fall of Man and subsequent expulsion from the Earthly Paradise. As evidence, the author points to certain peculiar marks upon the land, which he claims are inscriptions, that indicate that it was here that life was first breathed into dust.
OOC:   Did Miss Davenport inform the rest of the company of what the Head said about the woman with fiery hair?  

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"England is truly a beautiful land," says Henry, "but I never expected that the Garden of Eden had been here. This woman - she reminds me of the stories of Lilith, Adam's supposed first wife. Pure heresy, of course, but she may be trying to assume such a role."

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It may be presumed, unless stated differently, that all members of the party will share whatever information they have garnered.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:50 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines does not know the story of Lilith - though when appraised of it, she will observe that the brass head did suggest that Adam might have called her wife. After a moment, she adds, "But could the demon in the head have one it itself would look on as a wife? The reference to Adam a way to confuse?"

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"While the head does deliberately try to confuse," says Henry, "all of its answers are technically true, if incomplete and misleading. That must have been where I got the idea about Lilith. Let's see if there's anything about her in the books here."

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 14 + 1 ti = 15[dice]0[/dice]
If there is something more about the mythical being known as Lilith, other than what is common knowledge, it is either not contained in any of the volumes available, or the haphazard manner in which the library is organized makes it impossible to find.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:54 pm
by Rooter

"These ideas seem linked to Faith," Lila speculates thoughtfully. "Mrs. Piper has intimated that the power of Faith is required to bring a Golem to life, while Mr. Crayle's behavior is reminiscent of a kind of worship toward this being. Many monsters can be destroyed with the power of Faith but perhaps here is one which draws from it."

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a possibility," says Henry. "I think we all have faith in something, which may render us all vulnerable. There is also the chance that her power to entrance only works on men, not on women, though we cannot count on that."

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:08 am
by Rooter

"Indeed. I believe we must form a plan of action to resolve matters. Whether he is unaware of his actions or not, Mr. Crayle appears to be being used for access to Mrs. Piper with acquiring the Head, as has been speculated, the potential aim. I see two possibilities. The next time Mr. Crayle is about to depart on his supposed errands, we should tie him up and keep him here, drastic as it sounds. That way we deprive the woman of her contact and perhaps lure her into revealing herself in a weakened state. Alternatively we could inform Mr. Crayle of the Head's location and thus the information will likely find its way to the woman, following which we may try to entrap them when they attempt to take the Head. Or I suppose we might simply go to the cave and confront this being yet I suspect it will not be so easy."

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"I would sooner face her without whatever strength she draws from Mr Crayle," says Ines. "And if he is indeed a victim in this, the information about the head's location may mark an end to his use to her - we should not take that chance."

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Henry. "That's the one thing we must not do. I am loathe to detain Mister Crayle by force, but we cannot let him return to that cave. We can also ask the head questions while we are here, though again it will try to confuse us. I'd like to know what weaknesses the woman has, and also whether women are immune to her powers."

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:00 pm
by Rooter

"Yes, I agree, Ines. I would nominate Ivan to gently confine Mr. Crayle to his room with the use of some rope. It is for his own good, after all."

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mister Crayle is taken aback by this sudden confinement, although, being of gentle nature and of no great strength, makes little effort to resist. Despite the reassurances of the party, he protests this treatment vehemently.

"I was not aware that I inhabited the same household as brigands," he remarks with some bitterness. "Do with me as you like, and abscond with such valuables as you may find, but do no harm to my patroness, or may the wrath of Heaven fall upon your heads."

After some time has passed, Mister Crayle shows signs of entering a trance-like state, as if subject to the will of a mesmerist. A little while later, just as the sun sinks below the surrounding hills, one may observe, coiled about a nearby tree, a serpent of unusual size. At the same time Mister Crayle makes ineffective efforts to escape from confinement. In a moment all is darkness without.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think she is coming for him, since he cannot come to her," says Henry, readying his pistol and cane. "Everyone, get ready."

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A knock upon the front door is clearly heard throughout the house. The footsteps of a servant, on the way to answer it, quickly follow.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:54 am
by SunlessNick

It seems preposterous to engage in melee such a creature as this woman appears to be, but Ines dons her brass knuckles just the same. When the servant's footsteps ring, out, she will intercept whoever it is and bid them hide themselves - if the door is to be opened, she will do it herself.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon opening the door, the flame-haired, emerald-eyed woman, dressed in a simple gown of purest white, is seen without. With a disarming smile, she inquires "May I enter?"

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 am
by SunlessNick

Trying to steel herself in case the woman's mesmerism might affect her, Ines asks her who she is and why she is here at this hour.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am Hezekiah's -- Mister Crayle's -- very close friend. I have come to make sure he is well, as I have not heard from him when I expected to. May I come in and see him?"

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:44 pm
by Rooter

"You may not enter," Lila says firmly, hurrying up. "We know that you are a fiend who has been using Mr. Crayle in your nefarious designs upon Mrs. Piper." She has instructed Ivan to fetch the Golem head from its hiding place and indicates it in the servant's hands. "Perhaps you recognize this? And perhaps you may also recognize a certain device which has brought Mrs. Piper near to death. No doubt you intended for Mr. Crayle to inherit the Brazen Head then have it from him for yourself. But we have foiled your scheme."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry remains out of sight, in case the woman has some sort of power over men. While he is firmly dedicated to Elizabeth and is sure he could resist this woman, he is reluctant to put matters to the test if it is not necessary, though he stands ready to intervene should he be needed. He hopes Ivan can overcome her wiles if she tries to use them on him; his servant's dedication to his master is also considerable.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Then let your destruction be upon you," the woman says in a sweet and gentle voice.

The party may or may not be startled to witness the metamorphosis of the woman into the serpent of unusual size witnessed at sunset. During the process her gown is shed like a snake's skin, falling to the ground and dissolving into pale mist. Her chalk-white body writhes to the ground and her green eyes glow with inner fire. Most extraordinary of all, the scarlet strands of her hair fall from her head and are transformed into so many vipers, hissing as they writhe about the manor, forming a sort of reptilian moat. Their mistress scurries off into the darkness and is lost to sight.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder if perhaps we should destroy the Brazen Head," says Henry. "The aqua regia I carry should do the job, but that's not accounting for its supernatural powers. It did mention when we asked how it might be destroyed that only the devil could unmake it. Another thing we might try is to reactivate the golem, but that would require finding its body first. The only place I can think it might be is that cave, which may be where she is retreating. We may need to confront her. Or perhaps the just the golem's head can be reactivated, simply by reinscribing the aleph. The golem's head won't be able to move on its own, but maybe it can talk."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 am
by SunlessNick

Are the snakes still outside?

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
From the hissing sounds which can be heard clearly emerging from the darkness, the house is still encircled by numerous serpents.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can't set foot outside," says Henry when he hears the hissing, "not while those snakes are still out there. The first thing we need to do is secure all the doors and windows so they can't get in."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm
by Rooter

Lila calls to the servants to do as the doctor has suggested and bar the doors and windows. "This idea of perhaps having the Golem talk sounds a good one. Two heads may prove better than one."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines assists the servants with barring the house, all the while uttering both prayers and Gitani charms against evil.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While the house is secured, the adventurers have time to discuss to whom should fall the task of attempting to reanimate the golem's head. Mrs Piper offers the opinion that, although creating a new golem from clay would require a person of the Hebrew faith, reactivating one previously created may be possible for a gentile, although she cannot answer for what other effects might ensue from such a procedure. Meanwhile, Mister Crayle appears to have fallen into a state of catatonia.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 pm
by SunlessNick

"Should it be one of knowledge or faith who makes the attempt?" asks Ines.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Both are vital," remarks Mrs Piper. "I fear that I possess neither virtue to a great enough degree to be of much assistance."

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am
by Rooter

"And neither, I fear, do I," Lila adds. "If it is to be done then it must be the doctor and you." She stands watch at the entrance with dagger drawn, glancing worriedly at Mr. Crayle. "And I fear time is short."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I certainly have the knowledge," says Henry. "I'm not without faith myself, though Elizabeth has more than I do. I'd be willing to try to reactivate the golem."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 am
by SunlessNick

"Together?" suggests Ines. "Yours is most certainly a marriage made in Heaven."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This agreed upon, Doctor North attempts to revive the golem, with the prayerful assistance of Mrs North.
Spoiler:
This shouldn't be too difficult for the allied pair, and I'll give as many bonuses as make sense.

INT = 14 + 1 for Scientific Knowledge + 3 for Gift for Languages + 1 for True Innocent = 19. [dice]0[/dice]

CHA = 11 + 1 for Grace + 1 for Faith = 13[dice]1[/dice]
Doctor North, with his knowledge of Hebrew and careful examination of the faded mark upon the forehead of the golem, is able to transform the word met to emet by drawing a perfect aleph in the proper place. No doubt the simple and sincere faith of Mrs North is of vital importance as well, and is not the God of the Old Testament that of the New as well?

To the amazement of all present, even though they may be prepared for the awakening of the golem, the figure grows from merely a head to the full figure of a man of hardened clay, the extra mass appearing as if from out of nowhere as first torso, then arms, then legs appear. In its final form the golem is enormous, standing a full ten spans high. It resembles a crude statue of a human being, its features only roughly shaped. Hairless, its stone skin a deep brown, it has short, thick fingers upon its mighty arms. It is without ears or nose, and has only holes such as might have been made by a child at play to serve for eyes and mouth.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps because her entreaties to Heaven were involved in its revivification, Mrs North is able to witness the unexpected appearance of the creature without swooning. In a voice without inflection, but which roars out in the way a cannon might speak, it says "Command me."

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry is in awe of the golem, elated at having restored this construct to some semblance of life. He isn't sure whether it possesses knowledge or simply carries out tasks, but he figures it is worth a try. "Golem, tell us what you know of Lilith," he commands.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"She caused my maker to create me. Now he is no more. I was not, but now I am."

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who was your maker?" asks Henry. "Who deactivated you, and why?"

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Heinrich Müller created me, at the direction of another I do not know. When he discovered the purpose for which I was intended, he erased that which gives me life. This much I know from hearing his words spoken to me, but I do not know who commanded him or why."

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, I've seen the man's handiwork before," says Henry. "For what purpose were you intended?"

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I know not. I know only what I am told, and few speak to me save to command."

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm
by Rooter

"And our first command to you is a simple one, Golem," Lila says. "We are surrounded by snakes whose bites one whose body is of clay is presumably invulnerable to. Please destroy the snakes. Then it seems we may need you to escort us to Lilith's lair. She still has some kind of hold over Mr. Crayle which we must break."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"You are to obey the orders of these my companions as you would my own," adds Henry, in case the golem would normally only obey the one who gave it life.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With lumbering steps the golem goes outside the house. It may be noted that the serpents do not attempt to enter, as if they are unable to do so. One by one, the golem grips the vipers in its giant fists and squeezes them until they are lifeless. Given the large number of serpents -- perhaps a hundred or more -- and the slow, methodical movements of the golem, it is obvious that it will take a great deal of time to destroy them all. Perhaps by daybreak it will be safe to emerge from the manor home.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:24 am
by SunlessNick

Ines asks one of the male servants to watch over Mr Crayle in the company's absence - "He must not be released yet, but please make sure he comes to no harm."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am
by Rooter

Lila nods. "We shall see how he appears on the morrow. With any luck once the snakes are cleared perhaps Lilith's influence upon him will too be gone."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Members of the household managing to obtain some much-needed sleep, despite the unnerving sound of stone hands crushing serpents, and the angry hissing of said vipers, the morrow dawns. Without the manor home stands the golem, seeming to be no more than a crudely formed statue. Most likely the less sophisticated servants consider it to be no more than an unusually eccentric work of art.

Mister Crayle seems to have obtained some rest as well, despite his uncomfortable situation.

"I trust you have some explanation for this imprisonment," he states coldly, upon meeting the adventurers in the morning. "It is evident that you are not common thieves, and Mrs Piper appears to place great trust -- not misplaced, I hope to Heaven! -- in you. I have been informed, by the household staff, of an unusual infestation of venomous serpents during the night. What this peculiar phenomenon has ought to do with your inexplicable treatment of me, I cannot fathom."

It will be obvious to the party that Mrs Piper has kept Mister Crayle ignorant of all preternatural matters, as he evinces no knowledge of the golem. If there have been whispers amongst the servants, he has paid no heed to them.

Questions concerning the flame-haired woman produce only denials that he is familiar with any such person.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:09 pm
by Rooter

"You have been unwell," Lila says. "An imbalance of the humors, I expect. It was necessary to restrain you in order to prevent your doing harm to yourself or others. Indeed, in a fit of madness of which you are evidently unconscious you attempted to elope with this flame-haired woman and set free a number of snakes from a traveling menagerie. I believe it may be safe to untie you so long as Doctor North is satisfied in his examination."

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes," says Henry, "it was unfortunate but necessary to restrain you. You have my apologies for your treatment, but it was for your own good. You seem to be much improved this morning, so I see no reason not to release you provided you agree not to leave the house. Ivan will stand ready in case you suffer a relapse."

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This explanation appears to assuage Mister Crayle's suspicions, and he agrees to the stated limitations on his actions, having no particular business which would require him to leave the estate. The golem remains motionless outside, awaiting any further commands.

All would seem quiet for the nonce. It is only the next day that disturbing rumors circulate among the servants, which, as ever, eventually find their way to their masters and mistresses. It seems that a few boys -- there is no agreement as to their exact number -- have gone missing from the nearest village. Among them it seems, is young Peter, the apothecary's apprentice. The common opinion is that they have gone, as so many have, to seek their fortune in London or some other great city. One odd detail is that a very young girl claimed to have seen one of the boys go off with a "booful lady."

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lilith must have lured them off to her lair," says Henry. "We're going to have to confront her there to rescue them. We cannot allow her to drain them and to increase her strength. Fortunately, we have a golem to help us,"

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 am
by Rooter

"We must be prepared," Lila says grimly, paying a visit to the Brazen Head. "Head, what is Lilith's weakness?"

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Ecclesiastes, Chapter the First, Verse the Second," the Brazen Head replies, with some hesitation, as if the words are painful to pronounce.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity," quotes Henry. "While the text is speaking about how King Solomon saw everything in the world as vain and profitless, perhaps we need to take it out of context to understand what the golem meant. If Lilith's weakness is vanity, then we could try showing her her own reflection in a looking glass. That should serve to distract her."

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 am
by SunlessNick

"We still have the mirror in which the spirits were trapped," says Ines. "Macaria may have robbed it of its magic, but traces of its past may remain to the eyes of a being like this serpent woman." After a moment she adds, "We also have the service she promised us. I do not know what she might be able to do against our enemy, but perhaps she can save the boys."

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It would seem that the adventurers have need of an agreed strategy; that if, indeed, the flame-haired woman be sought, and the mirror taken, how and by whom this might be done; and, if the mysterious Macaria's aid be sought, by whom and how such a request might be phrased.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I believe it is to you that Macaria promised the favour, Miss Davenport," says Henry, "so it should be you who calls upon her if necessary. However, we had best hold that in reserve until we know it is needed. A powerful boon like that is not something to be used prematurely. Whoever holds the mirror should be one who is best able to resist Lilith's powers."

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am
by Rooter

"The mirror seems a good idea," Lila agrees. "If the indications are true then one of Faith will be best able to resist her powers, hence I would suggest Ines or Mrs North. I don't believe it is yet a matter of life and death such as to involve Macaria. The boys will be of more use to Lilith alive than dead."

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being general agreement, the party makes preparation to confront their quarry in the place where she was once before encountered. As to the exact details of this excursion -- whether it be worth the risk to expose Mrs North to possible peril, or if her purity of soul may prove invaluable, to mention just one question worthy of discussion -- such may be decided upon at the time of setting out.

Howsoever this may be, the adventurers find themselves at the shallow cave in full daylight, as seems wisest. There is no sign that anyone dwells therein, although this cannot be determined with certainly without exploring the interior further.

(It is a curious fact that there is no sign of the many serpents slain by the golem, as if they had vanished like dew. The golem itself remains motionless, and could not be told from an ordinary statue, albeit of a particularly artless sort, by even the closest examination.)

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 pm
by SunlessNick

"If any among us can sway the boys from Lilith's influence, it would be Mrs North," says Ines. "Perhaps she should attempt this whilst I approach Lilith with the mirror."

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm
by Rooter

"Yes, I am sure she is willing," Lila says. She takes out her lantern from her haversack in preparation to enter, though perhaps the cave is shallow enough that it might not be required.

(Before departing she has commanded the Golem to accompany them, providing it with a large hat and coat so that its appearance may not be remarked upon while traveling in broad daylight.)

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, Elizabeth would be best suited to rescue the boys," says Henry, "and I know I can count on Ivan to protect her. We also have the golem, who will no doubt prove useful. However, I'm still disturbed by the fact that Heinrich Muller disabled it once he discovered the golem's intended purpose. It must have been Lilith who directed him to create the golem for her own reasons, which means she expected to be able to take control of it - or at least of Heinrich."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A beam of light from Miss Davenport's lantern penetrates the darkness within the shallow cave. Revealed within its Stygian depths is the horrific sight of a python of monstrous size, such as are rumored to exist in jungles where no human foot has trod. It appears to be thirty or more spans in length, although this is impossible to determine with any degree of exactitude, given the manner in which its body twists and turns in a most complex manner. More disturbing than its sheer size, however, is the fact that it holds within its coils a pair of young boys, apparently in a trance state, their eyes and mouths wide open but their bodies motionless. The python itself does not move, and seems to be asleep, it eyes closed and its respiration slow and heavy. A bulge in the middle of its body reveals that it has recently fed; the humanoid shape of that bulge reveals all too well upon what it has dined.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Although all present are repulsed by this hideous sight, it is a sign of Mrs North's courageous desire to rescue the boys from an unspeakable fate that she does not fall into a swoon

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"That must be her true form," whispers Henry. "We may need the golem to rescue the boys from her clutches. You also have weapons that have power against evil, Miss Davenport, and she is as evil as they come. We also must consider that she has displayed power over males, but not females. I and Ivan may be susceptible."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am
by Rooter

Lila nods determinedly and draws her silver dagger. "It is awful that we arrived too late to save one of the victims but it does thankfully afford us the opportunity to strike while it is feeding. I shall attack first which will no doubt awaken the beast and then we will have one chance for Ines to use the mirror to distract it while the others attempt to free the boys from its clutches. If Doctor North's suspicions concerning the Golem's purpose are correct I do not think we should rely upon its aid."

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
With the presence of the True Innocent and the Danger Bonus, success at striking the python with a base DEX of 18 is certain unless I roll a 20. [dice]0[/dice] Damage will be 1d6+3 bonus points at this level[dice]1[/dice]
The silver blade strikes home on a portion of the soft, unscaled underbelly of the creature, inflicting an appreciable amount of damage. Yellow-green ichor flows from the wound, eliciting a peculiar hissing sound as it strikes the ground. The python opens its eyes, revealing them to be brightly glowing green ovoids. Enraged, it tosses aside the two entranced boys as if they were mere poppets. It writhes and attempts to seize its attackers within its coils.
Spoiler:
DEX = 17[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps due to its wounded state, the creature's tail passes harmlessly past Miss Davenport's body. There is no guarantee, however, that she or her fellows will remain so fortunate.
Spoiler:
This roll of the dice is for the use of your Presenter.[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm
by SunlessNick

As Miss Davenport strikes and the serpent awakens, Ines darts forward holding the mirror before its eyes - trying not to look into them herself.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The mirror has no apparent effect on the gigantic serpent, whose thrashings suggest that it has only the limited intelligence granted by Nature to those of its kind. Paying no attention to the object, it instead hisses at the intruders and prepares to attack.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think that's actually her," says Henry. He fires his pistol at the giant serpent now that the boys are out of the line of fire, reasoning that if Lilith is capable of taking control of him, at least the weapon will have been discharged. "Golem, destroy the serpent!" Ivan protects Elizabeth while she helps get the boys to safety.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 10 + 1 for the True Innocent = 11[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]+ 3 for level
Doctor North's aim is true, and once again the python suffers a serious wound. It is obvious from its movements that it is in great pain, but far from fully incapacitated.
Spoiler:
The golem has a DEX of 8. I don't think such a being would benefit from the True Innocent.[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]no level bonus
The clay-man lashes out with its mighty fists, striking the serpent directly in its skull. The beast shrieks with rage and strikes back at the golem.
Spoiler:
DEX = 17[dice]4[/dice]
Possibly the damage done to its reptilian brain has blurred its senses. In any case, once again the python is unable to grasp its foe within its coils.

Doctor North is able to drag the boys to safety. They remain insensate, which one might consider a blessing. The serpent is bleeding profusely, pools of the unnatural fluid that fills its veins forming on the ground. Yet still it lives, ready to take its vengeance upon its attackers.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 am
by Rooter

Seeing the serpent reeling and the victims clear, Lila's instincts to destroy evil take the upper hand and she strikes out again with her dagger, hoping for a killing blow.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
As before misses only on 20[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
With a mighty thrust of her dagger, Miss Davenport strikes directly at the heart of the creature. With a final hiss, the serpent expires.

As the bold Demon Hunter rests after these exertions, no doubt with much relief to have been spared injury in battle with such a being, she and her companions are witness to a astonishing transformation.

The body of the serpent, with the swiftness of thought, dissolves into a mist, softly glowing as if hidden candles illuminated it from within. Almost as quickly, it reshapes itself into human form, finally resolving into the image of the woman the party have come to know as Lilith. Her fiery locks and loose and free, nearly as tangled as the coils of the python. Her eyes are the same glowing shade of green as those of the serpent. She wears only a simple white shift, such as might have adorned one of Homer's day.

"Didst think could slay one born of fire? Thou art no less dust than yon man of clay."

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 pm
by SunlessNick

"Born of fire? How can that be?" asks Ines, hoping that Lilith's purported vanity will induce her to talk.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe the mirror will work now that she looks like that," whispers Henry to Ines.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Know thou not the tale? 'Tis oft sung by bards," Lilith replies to the Gypsy's question. "He Who Must Not Be Named brought me to life from the new-born Sun and Moon, just as the Man was crafted from the Earth. Together all Paradise was ours! But I refused to serve the Man, so the Other Woman was taken from the body of the Man. The Wise Serpent and I tempted them to their doom. Because I tasted not of the Fruit, I shall not know the sting of Death." She lifts her arms and raises her voice to a shout. "Thus am I Mistress of Serpents and Queen of Hell, and thou canst not stand against me!"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Taking Dr North's advice, Ines holds up the mirror again, with the words, "You do not know yourself then, as Adam and Eve did? Then know yourself now."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lilith appears to be entranced by her own image, staring into the mirror with a distracted smile.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 am
by Rooter

Lila sheathes her dagger, knowing violent confrontation is futile. "We must convince her to depart," she says to the others. "Or else somehow banish her. Who knows what trouble she could cause if she possessed the Brazen Head." She considers. "I have an idea. They are both creations of Hell. The Head appeared discomforted even speaking a reference to holy writ. What if this place were consecrated? An innocent boy has died here and should be given a grave and the proper rites." She looks to the pious Mrs North, who no doubt carries a small bible on her person, and directs Ivan to gather some wood from nearby to build a cross to plant as a marker and a ward. She also has a vial of Holy Water to sprinkle on the ground of the cave.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:53 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines carefully keeps the mirror in Lilith's view while the others work.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent idea," says Henry. He sets to work helping to consecrate the cave while Elizabeth and Ivan do their parts.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The ritual of consecration proceeds without interruption. Once it is completed, Lilith is seen to melt into a mist, which sinks into the ground and is seen no more. The mirror remains behind, resting on the earth safely. The two boys awaken from their trance, with no memory of what has occurred since they left the village. It may be noted that the apprentice Peter is not among them.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm afraid we were too late for Peter," says Henry, "but at least we were in time to rescue the other two." He admires Elizabeth looking after the boys, thinking that she'll make a wonderful mother someday.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Emotionally drained, the party returns to the Piper estate, from whence the boys will be returned to their homes. No doubt questions will be raised by their families and acquaintances. Some thought will be required to provide answers that will satisfy inquiry.

In a similar way, Mister Crayle, once free from bondage, expresses a desire to be informed as to the meaning of these peculiar events. In particular, he now experiences strange gaps in his memory, concerning times when he formerly recalled being engaged in ordinary errands of managing Mrs Piper's affair.

"I trust there is some rational explanation for all of this?"

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"There is," says Henry. "I am a man of science and reason, and there is a rational explanation for everything, even if we don't always know what it is. You fell under the influence of a very wicked woman calling herself Lilith. As near as I can tell, she used a form of mesmerism to influence you and tamper with your memories. She is gone now, and she should trouble you no more."

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This answer appears to placate Mister Crayle to some degree, although his attitude toward the adventurers lacks a certain warmth. Mrs Piper, of course, is more aware of the preternatural nature of what has occurred. Having reached a certain age, she wishes to lessen her involvement with such matters.

"Do what you will with the Brazen Head and the golem," she remarks, at a time when confidences may be shared without being overheard. "For my part, I would lock them away forever where they may do no harm, but perhaps your hearts are braver than mine.

"I am curious also as to what might have become of this Heinrich Müller, presumably no longer among the living, and what other weird devices of his design might be causing mischief. I worry also that you may not have seen the last of Lilith."

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 am
by SunlessNick

"And we must decide what to tell the apothecary and poor Peter's parents," observes Ines dejectedly.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should destroy the Brazen Head if we can find a way to do it," says Henry, "but locking it away seems like a good alternative in the meantime. I would like to keep the golem, however. While I possess the knowledge to deactivate it, it does not seem right for me to take away its life after I have given it. Still, we cannot take it with us everywhere without drawing notice. It should be safe enough at my castle unless it's needed, however."

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The evident concern felt by Ines for the fate of young Peter is sure to touch the hearts of all present. Plans must be made for which members of the party wish to bring the ill news to the family of the boy; with, no doubt, some consideration as to how his disappearance might be explained to those who have been bereft of his company. The exact method by which the golem is to be transported to Doctor North's castle without drawing undue attention is also a matter worthy of thought.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Since I spoke to the apothecary before," says Henry, "I should be the one to give him the bad news about his apprentice. I suppose we can tell him and the boy's family that this Lilith woman presumably killed him, though we did not find a body. As for transporting the golem, if I must I can deactivate it temporarily so that it is reduced to its head, which Ivan could carry in a trunk. Then, when we get to my castle, we can reactivate it again. It would make a good guard for the Brazen Head as well when we're not around."

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm
by Rooter

"I trust you will be well, Mrs. Piper," Lila bids their host in fond parting after these matters have been settled. "Mr. Crayle has shown himself to care for your well-being and I am sure he will be an able guardian in your retirement."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
These arrangements being made, the party returns to their various domiciles. No doubt all will be eager to return to a more normal way of life for some time, as revolution threatens to bring the Continent into a state of chaos.