Page 1 of 1

Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century; Or, The Whims of Father Time

It has been some years since a group of adventurers, thrown together by the winds of fate, joined forces to oppose wicked and unnatural beings, that light might once again reign where darkness had fallen. One of philosophical bent might speculate that the retreat of such evils into the shadows is a reflection of the chaos that has erupted on the Continent. Who would have guessed, a mere score of years ago, that a monarch would have been overthrown and executed? Perhaps it might have been easier to foresee that the uneasy peace that existed between Britain and France would explode into warfare. Even so, not even the most gifted sibyl would have dreamed that an obscure Corsican would rise to become a tyrant.

Mars, that bully among the gods, smiled and thrust his bloody sword into the heart of Europe. Now, perhaps for only a brief moment, he rests, and allows Pax to overtake his reign.

Summer, 1802. A time of peace, or so it seems. A time to pause and reflect, to cling to old friendships and acquire new ones. A time to enjoy the bounties of Nature, who has blessed England with a pleasantly warm and dry climate this year. A time to prepare for whatever challenges the Fates might have in store.
Spoiler:
Players are free to continue with their same characters, now a dozen years older. You may advance to the next level, with the appropriate changes per the guidelines:

https://engineoforacles.files.wordpress ... ee-pdf.pdf

We'll go over this together if you need any help.

New characters may also be created at this time, using the same process as before. I'll wait to see what happens before beginning the new adventure proper.

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
One of fervid imagination might capture a vision of the Fates -- Clotho, the spinner; Lachesis, the measurer; Atropos, the cutter -- at work in the Olympian home of the gods, determining the future of those who dwell below. Who can say what they have in store for such as we?

Letters arrive at the homes of three mortals.

To Captain William Palliser:

[The letter is written in a pretty but unsophisticated hand.]

My Dear Sir:

I blush to confess that we have not yet been introduced, although you have often been pointed out to me as a man of courage and resolution. It may be nothing more than the foolishness of a maiden's heart, but something about your appearance speaks to me of one who would not fail to come to the aid of those helpless to protect themselves. Something is amiss within these time-shrouded walls. Papa tells me that I am a silly girl, and no doubt he is right; yet still I fear.

Will you not come to Highdark Hall, and ease my trembling soul? Even if my worries be no more than fancy, it would greatly sooth my fevered brain to have one such as yourself to chase away the shadows.

Sincerely,

Georgina Augusta Altumber

PS: Please be so kind as to burn this letter after you have read it, as I have no wish for it to fall into the hands of another, lest my forwardness in addressing you bring shame upon my family.

To Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse:

[The letter is written in flawless, even elegant French, in a bold hand. It is presented here in an English translation unworthy of the original.]

Monsieur:

You know me not, yet I know of you. Our interests are, I believe, not dissimilar.

I say no more. There are those here with prying eyes and ears. Come to Highdark Hall and we will speak further.

[The letter bears no signature.]

To Doctor Henry North, Earl of Dunwich:

My Lord:

I flatter myself that my name is not entirely unknown to you. Your own reputation as a man of great learning and accomplishment is, of course, known throughout the realm.

I wish to consult with you upon a curious matter concerning my household. A full account of the details would make this letter tedious to read, and I am aware that you are busy with your researches. If, at some time in the future, it would be convenient for you to attend upon me at Highdark Hall, all will become clear. I can promise you all the hospitality that I am able to provide for you.

I remain,

Yr Obt Serv,

Nat. John Altumber, Lord Highdark

All of the persons thus addressed are well aware of the location of the renowned Highdark Hall, an estate of great age and size. It is located some distance north of London, upon the moors. None of them have previously been there, or are personally acquainted with its inhabitants, although it is apparent that those who dwell therein are well aware of those to whom they have written. If they choose to undertake a journey to the estate, they have sufficient time to prepare themselves in such manner as they see fit.

Doctor North:
Spoiler:
Some dozen years of marriage having passed, do you wish to indicate that children have been been born? (I might suggest 1d4 children, with 50% chance of girl or boy.) Even with your medical skill, childbirth is a dangerous procedure for both mother and infant, so there will be some risk!

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, that sounds good to me. Number of children: [dice]0[/dice] Sex of children (1=boy, 2=girl): [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Congratulations on a large family!

Rolls against Mrs North's CON for each ordeal of childbirth. CON = 9 + 3 for Dr. North's professional skills = 12.
[dice]0[/dice]

I will reroll the two failures, expending Mrs North's current Grace Points.[dice]1[/dice]

Bad luck, unfortunately. Mrs North will suffer 2d6 points of damage for difficult childbirths.[dice]2[/dice]

The first experience of childbirth, perhaps due to its novelty, was not an easy one, although it only left Mrs North a bit the worse, and she soon fully recovered. The second was unremarkable, as was the fourth. Sad to say, the third was not so simple. It has left Mrs North a pale, languid creature, although she always displays a brave and optimistic countenance. No doubt Doctor North was even more solicitous of her than before this experience.

Let's see if that difficult third birth had any effect on the child. CON = 9 + 1 for TI + 3 for Dr. North's profession = 13 [dice]3[/dice]

Fortunately all four children are in good health. I leave it up to you to give them ages (anything from infancy to eleven) and names. Of course, you will have to decide how they will be cared for during your adventures; whether at home with their mother, with a caretaker if Mrs North accompanies you, in a boarding school if old enough, etc.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 am
by SunlessNick
William will follow this Georgina's request to burn the letter, and make his way to Highdark in search of whichever form of excitement it may promise.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The journey to Highdark Hall proves to be a pleasant one, quite suitable for an experienced soldier who is used to riding on horseback. Before reaching the manor house proper, one passes through a large expanse of parkland, containing many outbuildings, gardens, copses, ponds, and the like. Particularly notable is a fine hedge maze of great size. The approach to the house provides an imposing view. The building consists of three stories; it is also evident that there must be a basement and an attic as well, as are suitable for such a fine home. As is common, there is a high central portion of the house, with slightly lower wings on each side. At the present time there is a single footman, dressed in dark blue livery, at the main gate, behind which lies a wide avenue, surrounded on both sides by tall yew trees, which leads to the house. He greets Captain Palliser with a friendly smile and a bow, although there is no sign that he recognizes him. He appears in all ways to be a pleasant, ordinary sort of fellow of his station. As of yet he makes no move to open the heavy iron gate.

"Yes, Sir?"

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:38 am
by Rooter
"Curieuse," Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse, late of Paris, mutters to himself upon receiving this enigmatic summons. if nothing else, he considers, the trip will provide an opportunity to leave London, where spies from his beleaguered homeland are most likely to be watching, for a time. He packs his equipment in a haversack and makes arrangements for the next coach. The pantacle he uses to perform Incantations is worn around his neck, concealed beneath his shirt, while his Object of Power, in the form of a silver ring, never leaves his finger.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The coachman -- disagreeable fellow! -- is only able to convey Monsieur de Labrousse at some distance from Highdark Hall, upon the high road leading to Cambridge. The rest of the journey, the driver explains, must be made on foot.

"Doin' ye a favor stoppin' at all," the man remarks, in an accent which is atrocious even for an Englishman. "Be off with ye, or ride on to Cambridge. Makes no never mind to me."

The other passengers being eager to continue onward -- and, possibly, being no friend to one who speaks in the elegant tones of a Parisian -- there is little choice but to continue by shank's mare, as the vulgar English phrase has it.

The walk requires a few hours, as the countryside surrounding Highdark Hall is of great extent and the paths that lead to the parkland are hardly worthy of the name. At last, as the sun is low in the West, the manor house and its associated structures come into view. Given the mysterious nature of the missive summoning him here, the question of whether the Frenchman should present himself at the main gate, or seek some other means of entering, is worth pondering.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry sends a reply to Lord Highdark's letter, letting him know when he can expect him to visit. While he will miss his wife's company, he knows that in her weakened state since John's birth that travel would be difficult for her, and so he will leave her at home unless she truly wishes to accompany him. Ivan will go with him as his valet. The Russian has served him loyally through the years, and has remained in his employ after earning enough money to bring his family to England from Novgorod.
OOC,Thank you! The children are Lizzie(11), Henry, Jr.(9), John(6), and Mary(4). Those children who are old enough will be in boarding school, [b]Henry[/b] knowing the value of a good education, and the others will be home with their mother, though there will also be a nanny and a governess, as well as other servants, on hand to help.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Doctor North arrives on the day arranged for, in his own coach. By this time, after years of faithful service, Ivan is well able to serve as driver. Along the way, they pass by a public coach stopped by the road, where a single passenger -- a Frenchman, to judge by certain words he speaks to himself -- disembarks and sets off on foot.

By coincidence -- or might it be Fate? -- the pair reach the main gate just as a man of soldierly mien, on horseback, is engaged in conversation with a young footman.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well met, gentlemen," says Henry. "I am Dr. Henry North, Earl of Dunwich. Are you also guests of Lord Highdark?"

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The footman bows low. "Welcome, my Lord. The Master's expecting you. Is this gentleman a friend of yours?"

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Henry to the footman. "I'm afraid I don't yet know these two gentlemen."

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm
by Rooter
Vincent, who has been keeping out of sight of the footman, sees his opportunity and steps forward. "Ah, but I know you Docteur. My name is Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse. I am a practitioner of the mystic arts. I recognize you and your manservant from the account given to me by our mutual acquaintance, Mademoiselle Lila Davenport, when I encountered her in Paris some years ago. She told me of your, ah, unusual adventures. I believe we may have been invited here together, and perhaps this other gentleman too, for a shared purpose, non?"

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, you know Miss Davenport!" says Henry, shaking Vincent's hand. "Any friend of hers is a friend of mine. I have not seen her in some time, alas. You are right, I do not believe it is mere chance that we have all been invited here."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:12 am
by SunlessNick
"I have been travelling for some time, and am weary," says William, mindful of Georgina's wish not to be revealed as inviting him but unable to come up with a better cover story, "and I overheard that the Lord of Highdark Hall was accepting guests at the moment. My name is William Palliser, late of the King's Army." To the other two newcomers, he adds, "I am delighted to make your acquaintance, Gentlemen."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"A pleasure, sir," says Henry, shaking William's hand.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:49 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The footman, impressed by the fellowship shown by Doctor North to the two unknown gentlemen, bows once again.

"This way, my Lord and sirs."

The fellow trots ahead, allowing the coach (wherein, no doubt, the courteous Doctor North will allow Monsieur de Labrousse to ride) and the man on horseback to follow. When he nears Highdark Hall, he places two fingers in his mouth and whistles loudly. A pair of young men in rough clothing arrive, and arrangements to take care of the coach and horses are made efficiently.

The footman leads the three men up a steep set of stairs to the main entrance of the house. He pulls the rope which summons another of his station to open the large front door. A few words are exchanged between the two servants, and care of the visitors is turned over to the other.

This fellow appears to be of a more retiring nature than the other, perhaps because his duties require him to remain indoors, where silence is the servant's best form of eloquence. In any case, he answers any inquiries put to him in a civil manner, but volunteers no conversation.

The room immediately beyond the front door is the Grand Vestibule, of good size, wherein all arrivals are met. It is equipped with chairs and couches, upon which the visitors are invited to rest while Lord Highdark is informed of their arrival. There are statues depicting classical themes in each corner of the room, and landscape paintings upon the walls.

After some time, the footman returns with Lord Highdark and withdraws. Nathaniel John Altumber, Lord Highdark, is a man of middle years, excellently attired, of handsome countenance, dark-haired and dark-eyed. His manner is of one much used to high position. He glances at the three men for a moment, then addresses Doctor North.

"I believe I have the pleasure of seeing the renowned Doctor North in person. Thank you for coming, my Lord. I am afraid I am not acquainted with your companions; are they physicians as well?"

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, my Lord," says Henry. "I've only recently become acquainted with these gentlemen myself, but they are not physicians. This is Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse, a practitioner of the mystic arts." He motions to the Frenchman. "He and I have a mutual friend. And this is William Palliser, a retired officer in His Majesty's Army." He gestures to the other man.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lord Highdark raises his eyebrows.

"Mystic arts, indeed! Charlatanry, say I! Well, we shall have no French mountebanks here, sir." Taking a deep breath, he grows calmer. "But since Doctor North tolerates your company, I can do no less. Captain Palliser, I have had word of your gallantry upon the field of battle. You are welcome."

"Gentlemen, no doubt you are weary from your journey, and the hour is late. Allow me to have my man Jasper convey you to guest rooms for the night. He shall also supply victuals, wine, spirits, cigars, and whatever other simple refreshment you might require. I shall speak to you on the morrow."

Lord Highdark rings for the servant. He proves to be a man about the same age as his master, very tall and slender, and of a greatly dignified manner. No doubt this is Lord Highdark's butler. Having him take care of the guests rather than a valet or footman is an honor.

Jasper leads the three men to the main staircase, in the center of the building. From here there can be seen two courtyards open to the sky, one for the enjoyment of the family and one to supply the kitchen with fresh produce. One side of the ground floor consists of public rooms, the other the kitchen and other such rooms.

Climbing to the second floor, it is obvious that these rooms are reserved for the family. It is here that Lord Highdark's office is located, which seems a likely place for to-morrow's interview to occur.

The guest rooms are located on the third floor. To be exact, they take up half of that level. The other half appears to be sealed shut, perhaps for repairs.

The visitors pass through a drawing room into a corridor, which leads to several bedrooms as well as a single shared bathing area and necessary room. Jasper shows the guests their rooms. It is notable that, without precise instructions from his master, he conveys Doctor North to the finest and largest room, Captain Palliser to one nearly the same, and Monsieur de Labrousse to one not quite as accommodating.

"I shall bring food and drink to the drawing room," Jasper says, in a deep, slow voice. He does so, then leaves the guests to refresh themselves and converse in privacy.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 pm
by SunlessNick
"This Miss Davenport must be a remarkable lady to have the friendship of both a natural philosopher and a, what was the phrase, practitioner of the mystic arts," remarks William once the three men are alone.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed she is," says Henry. "She possesses remarkable courage. It is unusual for a man of science such as myself to align with practitioners of the mystic arts, but it has happened before. I believe what I can see with my own eyes, and I have seen much. I remain of the opinion that there is a rational explanation for seemingly magical phenomena, that what we observe as magical effects operate under undiscovered scientific principles."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:08 pm
by Rooter
"An admirable philosophy, Docteur," Vincent replies and, with a muttered word, produces a candle flame upon the tip of his finger. The flame winks out after a few seconds. "As for Mademoiselle Davenport, Capitaine, when last I heard, she had traveled across the Atlantique with a Gypsy maid, never to return to these shores. But we must look to our own battles, non? I confess I do not know who invited me to Highdark Hall but I suspect it was not Lord Highdark, who would I think rather die than ask a Frenchman for aid. There is something happening in this house of which we must be wary."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I have seen an effect like that before," says Henry. "A fellow named Duncan I used to know could achieve similar feats. The Gypsy maid must be Miss Ines. She and Miss Davenport both traveled with me some years ago. Our travels took us to France at one point, as it happens. If it was not Lord Highdark that invited you, perhaps it was Lady Highdark? Do you have the invitation? It is possible to tell by the writing whether a man or a woman scribed it."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 pm
by Rooter
Vincent proffers the brief message for inspection. "Duncan? Ah, you must mean Monsieur Rachman. I am afraid my colleague has not been seen for a long time."

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's the man," says Henry, examining the invitation. "It is indeed a small world."

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 am
by SunlessNick
"While we are alone, I will confess that I too was invited, by one who feared danger within these walls. I am however bound not to reveal the identity of my correspondant without their leave. But I think I may say that the tone of it was very different from this letter."

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:08 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT=16[dice]0[/dice]
In this modern age, graphology is an exact science, just as much so as, say, phrenology.

Doctor North is able to determine that the brief message was inscribed by the hand of a young woman (but not, certainly, a child.) The handwriting indicates great intelligence, with the shape of certain letters suggesting hints of melancholy and eccentricity.

After some time, Jasper returns with a note from Lord Highdark, addressed to Doctor North, requesting that he attend upon him at ten of the clock. (The guest drawing room is, of course, furnished with a fine clock.) There is no indication as to whether the other two gentlemen should be present or not.

Half an hour before the appointed time, a very young scullery maid arrives with rolls, butter, preserves, tea, and chocolate so that the guests may break their fast. She is somewhat flustered to have been thus entrusted with an important errand, and quickly rushes out once the victuals have been served. As the clock strikes ten, a manservant not previously encountered arrives to conduct Doctor North to Lord Highdark's study, which is located on the second floor, just off a fine portrait gallery, wherein may be seen paintings of the Altumber family and their ancestry. The fellow is not aware of his master's exact intentions, and is unable to offer any information as to what Doctor North might be prepared to expect from the meeting, nor whether the other two gentlemen are expected to accompany him.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry shares his findings with his companions. "The young woman who wrote this invitation seems much like me in many ways," he muses. "It isn't clear whether Lord Highdark wishes the two of you to accompany me to his study or not, so I shall leave it up to you gentlemen." Henry follows the servant, regardless of whether the others join him.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 am
by SunlessNick
"I find it unlikely Lord Highdark wishes to discuss this matter with anyone but Lord Dunwich," says William, attacking the refreshments with gusto. Should Vincent concur and remain, he will ask what brought a Frenchman to England's shores - is he perhaps a member of the aristocracy who fled the Revolutionaries? (It must be noted that despite the likelihood of William having fought against France during the recent wars, he betrays no sign of hostility to Vincent, nor to the French factions who which he refers).

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm
by Rooter
Feeling that his presence would only serve to rile Lord Highdark, Vincent also elects to remain, expecting that his mysterious correspondent will duly reveal herself to him once his arrival at the Hall is known. "Oui, Capitaine, you are most perceptive," he replies without elaborating, also helping himself to the food, which is somewhat plain to his Gallic tastes. "But I have no quarrel with you British. It is a shame our people do not get along, non?"

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 pm
by SunlessNick
"Indeed it is," agrees William. Changing the subject, he remarks, "I am intrigued as to what could be at work in these walls that three different people would call for what seems to be three different manners of aid."

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time, the two gentlemen left together receive a written message from yet another footman that Lord Highdark would be pleased to receive them at supper, where he will have the honor to present them to his family. Doctor North, of course, is also invited.

Captain Palliser:
Spoiler:
There is an additional message for Captain Palliser, in a more familiar tone, which advises him that Lord Highdark's eldest daughter is prone to romantic fancies, particularly where military men are concerned. He trusts the Captain will not find her company too tedious.
Monsieur de Labrousse:
Spoiler:
During the preparations for the meal, Monsieur de Labrousse receives an unsigned card from a young maidservant, who proves to be a mute, and thus incapable of answering inquiries save by inarticulate grunts and moans. In a hand which is, by now, familiar, it reads The Hedge Maze, Midnight.
Doctor North:
Spoiler:
The conference with Lord Highdark elicits the information that he is concerned with the behavior of his youngest daughters, a pair of identical twins not yet ten years of age. Rather than go into detail at this time, he asks Doctor North to observe the children at supper, and requests an opinion as to whether they are suffering from some form of brain fever.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm
by SunlessNick
William folds additional note away quickly, but looks intrigued at the contents.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 pm
by Rooter
Vincent thanks the maidservant and makes ready for supper.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Lord Highdark," says Henry. "As a father myself, I can quite understand your concern."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Not long before supper is to be served, the three guests are escorted to the dining room by Jasper. This is located on the first floor. The path taken allows the gentlemen a glimpse of a fine salon, decorated with astrological symbols, located opposite the front door. Beyond this, barely seen, is a large, circular ballroom. The guests pass through a spare, masculine room containing Lord Highdark's hunting trophies, then into a smaller room, decorated in a Baroque style, filled with curious seashells and other treasures of Neptune. The dining room itself is located at the end of a corridor which leads into various chambers designed for the amusement and edification of the Altumbers.

Lord Highdark receives the guests graciously, as Jasper withdraws to see to the kitchen staff. Much time is taken with introducing the members of his family to the three gentlemen.

Lady Highdark (who, at times, is addressed by her husband as Constance) is about the same age as Lord Highdark, with dark hair, eyes, and complexion which suggests Italian, Spanish, or possibly even Moorish ancestry. She is very courteous and displays signs of subtle wit, which sometimes goes above the head of her husband.

Lord Highdark's heir, Harold, is not yet twenty years of age. He is a pleasant-looking fellow of charming manners. One can almost overlook the fact that he is afflicted with a limp, which requires the use of a walking stick.

Two or three years younger than her brother, Georgina Altumber is pretty, favoring her mother's dark coloring, but in a gentler way. She is very soft-spoken and shy with the new arrivals.

Of about the same age is a fellow who does not resemble the rest of the family. This is Henry, a foundling adopted by Lord Highdark. He is a strong, handsome lad with a serious mien, not entirely at ease in fine company. Conversation proves him to be possessed of strong opinions. It is notable that he is very solicitous of Georgina.

Finally, Lord Highdark's youngest children are introduced. Julia and Juno -- or is it Juno and Julia? -- are identical twins, under a decade old, pleasantly-featured and full of youthful high spirits, chattering away, asking many questions, and, it appears, fond of mischief. It quickly becomes apparent that they are the two apples of Lord Highdark's eye, and that he is a most indulgent father, often dismissing their mother's attempts to restrict their behavior. It would be tedious to relate their constant prattling, but perhaps the following example will provide sufficient evidence of their curious manner of speech. Without waiting to be invited, they approach the guests as if they were friends of their own age, holding a porcelain doll which they pass one to another during the course of conversation. Julia -- or is it Juno? -- speaks first, followed by Juno -- or is it Julia? -- and from that point on they alternate.

This is --

Poppy. She is --

not really a --

doll. She comes --

to life and --

talks to --

me.

Some concentration is required to follow their conversation.

Once all the introductions have been made, the first course (turtle soup, with a light white wine) is ready to be served. Lord and Lady Highdark, of course, are seated at the ends of the long table. Not one to stand on ceremony, Lord Highdark invites his guests to be seated wherever they might please, so as to allow them to converse with such persons as seem most agreeable to them.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Were I a betting man, thinks Henry, I'd wager that Lady Highdark wrote that letter. Its author is clearly a lady of wit. He takes a seat opposite the twins so that he can best observe them.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:43 am
by SunlessNick
William is rather of the opinion that Georgina must be the one who sent the invitation to him and greets her with slightly too extravagent courtesy. If he can, manage it, he will take a seat next to her - failing that, Harold.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a truism that, to one who is alert, there is no such thing as a private conversation around the dinner table.

Lord Highdark and Harold, as is proper, sit closely together, and discuss matters of business, as well as anecdotes concerning hunting; an activity in which his lameness prevents Harold from participating.

Lady Highdark sits near the twins, frequently requesting that they speak more quietly, and correcting their table manners when necessary. It can be seen that this has little effect. At one point, reaching the point of exasperation, she taps one of the girls lightly on the wrist with a spoon. (The crime for which this punishment was elicited was reaching for the sugar bowl without requesting permission.) It is a remarkable fact that the scolded child does not react, but that her sister cries out in a dramatic manner, as if she has suffered a great injury. Much of the time the two girls whisper alternately to their doll, which, in violation of proper behavior, they refuse to set aside during the meal.

As luck would have it, Captain Palliser is able to sit next to Georgina, with Henry on his other side. A faint blush colors her features throughout the meal. Her conversation with the guest is, at first, restricted to pleasant remarks about the weather. Henry is bolder, demanding stories of valor on the field of battle.

"When I am a soldier, I shall toss Bonaparte into the sea!"

With more enthusiasm than politeness, he often addresses Georgina directly, leaning forward to speak to her as if Captain Palliser were not present.

"Would you like me to go fishing to-morrow and catch something for Artemis?"

"That would be lovely," Georgina replies without looking at him.

(The guests will be aware, by this time, that Artemis is a cat, of whom Georgina is very fond. The feline has not yet been seen by the visitors, as Georgina is very well-mannered and would not think of allowing her pet into the dining room. When not in the presence of her mistress, Artemis wanders outside in search of small prey, naps in the warmth of the kitchen, or is cared for by Miss Rye. Miss Rye, not yet introduced to the guests, is governess to the twins. Of course, she does not dine with the family.)

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am
by Rooter
Vincent, who finds himself seated at the table beside Harold, replies courteously to the introductions and eats quietly, taking in the various subtleties of the interactions around him.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for Esoteric Knowledge = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Monsieur de Labrousse notices that Harold's walking stick, exquisitely carved from dark wood, is engraved with unusual markings. He is unable to tell if they be of a magical nature or not. Whether this be due to a gap in his knowledge of the arcane, or if the walking stick is merely marked in a whimsical fashion, is impossible to determine.

In any case, Harold proves to be an amiable enough dining companion, with a good knowledge of art. (He admits to dabbling in painting from time to time; no doubt as compensation for his inability to engage in vigorous outdoor activities.) Once in a while his attention drifts from conversation, and is drawn to the exchanges between Georgina and Henry, as if he is greatly interested in what they have to say to one another.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:15 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
I may be mistaken but the manual says the Esoteric knowledge ability is for reading symbols and lore etc - I'll just stick to that usage rather than go looking everywhere for anything preternatural.
"Ah, oui monsieur, I paint a little myself," Vincent replies. "At least, I did years ago before the situation in my country became, how do you say, interesting. And I confess I have not hunted since I was a boy. So many distractions, non?" he adds, pointedly following Harold's gaze toward Henry and Georgina.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Um, yes. As you say," Harold responds in a distracted manner. It is apparent that his attention has been drawn to some ridiculous boast or other made by the foundling which has brought a smile to his sister's face.
Spoiler:
You are quite correct. I will alter the previous posting to reflect this.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Children can certainly be a handful, Lady Highdark," says Henry with understanding. "I have four of my own, but no twins. How do you tell them apart?"

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"One does not attempt to distinguish Scylla from Charybdis, sir," Lady Highdark responds with a wry smile. "One merely does the best one can to navigate one's way between them."

Although they have not been directly addressed, the twins respond to Doctor North's inquiry in their unique manner, pointing at themselves and each other alternately.

"I am--

"Julia and--

"She is--

"Juno. No,--

"She is--

"A wicked liar--

"And Poppy--

"Shall punish--

"Her, for I--

"Am Juno--

"And she--

"Is Julia."

This would not seem to clear matters up to any appreciable degree.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:26 am
by SunlessNick
William is happy to tell tales of the battlefield, becoming quite loquacious as he does so. He directs as many of his words to Georgina as Henry, hoping to fascinate her with the scenes of honour and courage.

Charisma 11 +1 Seduction
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12

Perhaps she torn between the fancies of adventure and the talk of violence that would inevitably creep into such accounts, no doubt troubling to such an innocent young being.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once the other courses have been served and enjoyed -- cold mutton with mustard, red wine, asparagus as a special treat, and port, walnuts, and a good Cheshire cheese to finish -- the twins are hurried off to the care of their governess. Lord Highdark invites the guests to spend the rest of the evening in innocent amusements. Georgina might be persuaded to play upon the pianoforte, or the visitors may wish to play at cards or billiards. Lady Highdark proves to be slightly unconventional, as she shows no wish to withdraw from the company of the gentlemen after the meal.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:20 am
by Rooter
Anxious to make a favorable impression upon his hosts, Vincent picks up a billiard stick. "Anyone to play?" he inquires of the gathering. He is fairly useless at the game but perhaps these English will enjoy besting a Frenchman at something for once.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'd be up for a game," says Henry, taking a stick of his own and racking the balls. Billiards is just a simple matter of physics, after all. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. "Would you like to break, or shall I?"

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:08 pm
by SunlessNick
William settles himself to watch the game. Should Georgina remain, he will choose a seat near her - otherwise he will continue to keep Henry's company (the foster son, not disturbing Lord Dunwich at play) - while Henry is clearly also interested in Georgina, coversation with him was otherwise quite congenial).

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst the game is underway, with Lady Highdark proving to be as skilled a player as any of the gentlemen, Georgina takes advantage of her nearness to Captain Palliser to speak softly to him, trusting that the clatter of the balls and the conversation of the players will ensure that her words are not overheard. She speaks without looking directly at the Captain, eyes downcast in a demure fashion.

"Your tales of the horrors of the battlefield are most frightening, sir, but they have assured me that you are a gentleman of courage. I wish only that poor Henry were not so entranced by the prospect of war! I do not wish any harm to come to him.

"Nevertheless, I now do not feel quite so much a fool as to have requested your company here. Oh, Captain, you do not how I tremble at times! There is much here that is not as it should be.

"I have beheld glowing figures drift through the park lands surrounding this house on moonless nights. From the sealed wing on the third floor, to which all entrance is forbidden, I have heard low moans, as of a soul in torment, and strange sounds which bring to mind the clashing of metal.

"Once, when I was searching for dear Artemis, who had wandered into the root cellar, beneath the house, I was nearly overcome by a vile stench, as of something wet and rotting.

"No doubt you will think these things the senseless imaginings of one with little knowledge of the world. That may be true, but now that you are here I do not feel so afraid."

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well played, Lady Highdark," says Henry after she sinks a particularly difficult shot. She is a woman of wit indeed, he thinks. "Do you enjoy riddles and conundrums as well? I've thought of a good one. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that Julia always tells the truth and Juno always lies, Suppose further that you wish to determine which is which, but you may only ask one of them a single question. What question would you ask?"

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 am
by SunlessNick
"I should certainly not wish for so lovely a girl as you to be afraid," replies William to Georgina, "and I am proud to dispell such feelings if I may. These things you have seen and heard may be fancies or may not, but if it will set your mind at ease, I will undertake to investigate them for you."

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After spending a great deal of time in careful thought, Lady Highdark remarks in this manner.

"That is a pretty problem, my Lord, which admits of no Alexandrian sword to sever its knot. Let us consider the following inquiry.

"'If I were to ask your sister if she were Julia, what would she say?'"

"Let us suppose that Julia tells the truth and Juno lies. In such case, Julia, knowing that Juno would lie and say 'yes,' would truthfully say 'yes.' Juno, knowing that Julia would truthfully say 'yes," would lie and say 'no.'

"Now let us suppose that Julia lies and Juno tells the truth. In such case, Julia, knowing that Juno would truthfully say 'no,' would lie and say 'yes.' Juno, knowing that Julia would lie and say 'no,' would truthfully say 'no.'

"In either case, whosoever answers 'yes' is Julia and whosoever answers 'no' is Juno, so there is no need to make such inquiry more than once, of one child only."

Lord Highdark, after hearing the first part of this lengthy explanation, makes some remark about "women's nonsense" and bids good evening to his guests.

Once he is gone, Lady HIghdark seizes Doctor North's hand boldly, and, with sorrowful expression, asks "Do you think my two little poppets are mad?"

__________________________________________________________________________________

Whatever response might be made, Doctor North will later join the other two gentlemen for conversation in the guest drawing room. It is evident that they have each been summoned here for a different reason; whether they may be of use to each other is a question to be considered.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Truly I do not yet know, having only observed them for a short period of time," says Henry, giving her hand a gentle reassuring squeeze. "There are those who say that I am mad, and I cannot say for certain that they are wrong, for if I were indeed mad, my madness itself would influence my observations. Although, if I am mad, then rest assured that it is quite possible to live a successful and fulfilling life in spite of madness. There are other possibilities, of course. The twins may simply act the way they do out of mischievousness, for instance. I do believe that they each know what the other is thinking, from the way they speak. They seem to me to be of one mind. I shall have to observe them further to come to any conclusions. That was excellently reasoned on the riddle, by the way."

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 am
by Rooter
"Mon dieu!" Vincent exclaims later in the guest drawing room. "My head is spinning. This is why I prefer the elemental to the intellectual. Too much thinking is bad for the brain, non? Does fire need a reason to burn? Non! Now I bid you bonne nuit."

Vincent retires to rest before his midnight rendezvous; but first he makes a brief reconnoitre of the house's exits and ways in order that he should leave undetected since his mysterious correspondent evidently wishes to remain incognito.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discreet inquiry elicits the information that the Hedge Maze (which, being one of the most notable features of the Highdark estate, would interest not only Monsieur de Labrousse, who makes such question of it, but the other gentlemen as well) is located at a moderate distance from the manor home. One may follow a pleasant, winding pathway to it, passing by the stables and carriage house, an apple grove (of which Lord Highdark is proud, bearing as it does fruit of surpassing quality, which produces fine cider), and then making its way through the West Lawn to the Maze.

"Not as I'd go there meself," remarks the plain but efficient maidservant who arranges the guest's room, "and sure not by night. 'Tis haunted, say some, and others speak of poor lost souls doomed to wander its paths 'til the last of days." She is, of course, of a superstitious nature, given her class.

It is, by the by, obvious that the only evident way to exit the manor house is through the great front door, unless one were to attempt one's egress via a window. Such is all that it known to the maidservant, in any case.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:42 am
by Rooter
"Merci, mademoiselle," Vincent replies to the maidservant. "I believe I shall take a promenade outside. It is a fine night, non?"

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm
by SunlessNick
While Vincent is retired, William asks, "May I presume upon your discretion, Lord Dunwich?"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Captain Palliser," says Henry. "How may I help you?"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Vincent:
Spoiler:
moonlight; 1 = new moon, 28 = full moon, other numbers in between[dice]0[/dice]

The moon is a little more than half full, providing sufficient light to make one's way along the well-marked path to the Hedge Maze. If one were to leave the path for the woods, of course, finding one's way would prove more difficult.

The Frenchman first passes by the stables and carriage house.

dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]

The sound of his footsteps upon the gravel path draws the attention of someone nearby.

"Who's there? Who's there, I say!"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 am
by SunlessNick
"It was impossible not to overhear Lady Highdark's question to you regarding her younger daughters. However it was fair Georgina who summoned me here - you understand of course, that there was no shameful purpose behind her entreaty, and that her desire for aid should not be misconstrued. But I confess that I am a man of the here and now, and somewhat out of my depth." William relates what Georgina told him, relying on His Lordship's discretion. "I have heard such illnesses of the mind may run in families. I would not like to think there is a connection between Georgina's fears and what you have been called upon to investigate. And yet I cannot bring to mind any other explanation beyond youthful fancy. And if so, it seems you might be better able to aid her than I."

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:07 am
by Rooter
Vincent:
Spoiler:
Vincent strikes a jovial tone. "Sacre bleu! Can a guest of his lordship not go for an innocent walk in the moonlight?" Under his breath he mutters a few syllables, prepared to sway things should hostilities ensue.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure of the usage of the Beguile spell from the manual but if appropriate it seems to give a Charisma boost. Also, let me know if the cheesy French-isms get too much for you.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent:
Spoiler:
Vincent strikes a jovial tone. "Sacre bleu! Can a guest of his lordship not go for an innocent walk in the moonlight?" Under his breath he mutters a few syllables, prepared to sway things should hostilities ensue.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure of the usage of the Beguile spell from the manual but if appropriate it seems to give a Charisma boost. Also, let me know if the cheesy French-isms get too much for you.
Spoiler:
Yep, that's exactly correct. And the Frenchisms are fine.
CHA = 9 + 3 for Beguile = 12[dice]0[/dice]

The speaker emerges from his hiding place near the carriage house. He is a fellow no longer in his youth, armed with a pistol.

"Oh, yes, indeed, sir! Beg your pardon, I do. There's been thieves about, you see, and I'm to keep watch.
Please continue on your way, sir."

The path winds its way near the apple orchard.

WIS = 11[dice]1[/dice]

Vincent has the idea that something might have passed through the orchard recently, judging by the stirring of branches that has just ceased; but whatever it might have been, hare or merely the breeze, there is no sign of it now.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:37 am
by Rooter
Vincent:
Spoiler:
Wary after the fellow's warning of thieves, Vincent pauses by the apple orchard and performs an incantation to Detect Evil in order to determine if one of malign intent is in the vicinity.

(-1 HP)

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Wary after the fellow's warning of thieves, Vincent pauses by the apple orchard and performs an incantation to Detect Evil in order to determine if one of malign intent is in the vicinity.

(-1 HP)
Spoiler:
There is no sign that any thing, person, or creature of Evil nature has been in or near the apple orchard at any time since it was first planted.

The gravel path continues on to the Hedge Maze, and then within it, dividing immediately upon entrance into paths leading right and left.

WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]

Vincent wastes no time wandering hither and yon within the twisting paths of the Maze. He quickly spots a scrap of cloth upon the ground to the left; walking in that direction, another; and so on, leading him by the shortest possible route to the center of the Maze. There, seated upon a stone bench near a marble statue of a beckoning nymph, is a woman dressed more heavily than one would expect for a mild night of summer. She wears full cloak and gown, as well as velvet gloves, all seeming to be of a deep maroon color, as best as can be told by moonlight. Most remarkably, her face is hidden from casual inspection by a veil of sheer fabric, through which only the outline of her features can be seen in such light. Upon Vincent's appearance, she holds out a handkerchief, from which, it is evident, the small piece of cloth have been torn. She does not yet speak or rise.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 am
by Rooter
Vincent:
Spoiler:
"Enchanté, madame," Vincent says with a short bow. "How may I be of service?"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
"Enchanté, madame," Vincent says with a short bow. "How may I be of service?"
Spoiler:
The woman rises and approaches, still holding out the handkerchief. As she nears, enough of her features can be made out to reveal the striking contrast between her pure black hair and very pale skin, and that her countenance is of rare beauty, even thus half-hidden.

When close enough, a strange scent, suggestive of the perfumes of the Orient, rises from the handkerchief. CHA = 11 + 3 = 14[dice]0[/dice]

Just for a moment, Vincent feels an unexplained desire to submit to the woman's will. The feeling quickly passes. He realizes that the sensation is similar to his own ability to Beguile, but that it has no magical basis; nor has it had its intended effect.

The woman cries out, in a low voice, "Failure! Why must I be cursed with failure?" She runs off, intending to flee the Hedge Maze, obviously in a state of frenzied melancholy.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:51 pm
by Rooter
Vincent:
Spoiler:
"Madame!" Unsure of what just transpired, Vincent gives chase.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Doctor North and Captain Palliser are awakened in the night by the sound of a woman sobbing loudly outside. For the moment, this remains a mystery, although they will soon learn what has transpired during their slumber. Being of chivalrous nature, they will of course rush to the windows of the rooms and see if they can determine what is the matter.

What has occurred, they will later be informed, is this. The woman rushed away from the Hedge Maze in a state of agitated sorrow. Her heavy gown prevented her from escaping entirely from Monsieur de Labrousse, who only wishes to help her, although it was a long and difficult chase. As it was, she was able to reach the west side of the manor house, where she made movements as if she intended to climb the outside wall. Seeing the Frenchman close behind, she abandoned this effort, and ran around the back of the house, leading her pursuer a less-than-merry chase, finally falling to the ground on the east side of the house, below the guest rooms on the third floor. Here she remains, wailing and moaning incoherently.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:05 am
by SunlessNick
William is used to keeping track of direction and proceeds to descend by the direct route to reach the stricken woman's location.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also hurries downstairs to see what assistance he can render, bringing his medical case.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once the situation is explained to the new arrivals, Doctor North begins an examination.
Spoiler:
With INT = 16 + 3 for Profession + 1 for Scientific Knowledge, only 20 fails to diagnose, and just barely.[dice]0[/dice]
Although the process of diagnosis proves difficult, mostly due to the woman's agitation, inability to communicate, and lack of co-operation, Doctor North is finally able to determine that she is suffering from a state of both extreme excitability and extreme melancholy; a most dangerous combination indeed. A full cure would require several months of rest and isolation, accompanied by multiple sessions of induced purging of black bile. For the moment, it might be possible to restore the victim to a communicative state through the use of sedating nostrums administered in a tranquil environment, although this is a treacherous procedure, not without risk.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:16 am
by Rooter
"Ah, my poor cherie," Vincent says sadly. "Even though I believe she attempted to trick me, such sorrow brings a tear to my own eye and to my heart." Gently he takes the perfumed handkerchief from her. "She can have my guest room for the night; I will sleep in the servant's quarters if necessary."

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry tells the others his diagnosis, and the possible risks involved in bringing her to her senses quickly. "Do you know who she is?" he asks. "Whoever is responsible for her should make that decision, either her parents, or, if she is married, her husband, for she is in no condition to decide anything for herself."

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Vincent notices that the handkerchief still bears the unmistakable aroma of the strange perfume.

None of the guests have ever seen this woman before. Her ravings have subsided to an appreciable degree, probably due to simple exhaustion. It would be possible to transport her without rousing the interest of anyone indoors, if so desired. (There are, by the way, a sufficient number of guest rooms on the third floor to provide the woman with her own accommodations, without requiring Vincent to vacate his own.) On the other hand, perhaps the guests would prefer to wake a servant, or even one of the family, to see if this person is known to them.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 am
by SunlessNick
"I shall convey her inside," says WIlliam. "She may still need your care, Your Lordship, which leaves it to you Monsiuer to rouse one of the footmen to discern whether she is a member of the household."

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 am
by Rooter
Vincent considers. "I think, Capitaine, it may be best not to alert those in the house to her presence until she can explain herself to us. She has suggested in her secret messages that there are enemies here at Highdark Hall and whether they are also our enemies remains to be seen, non?" He shows the perfumed handkerchief to Doctor North. "This substance is chemical not magickal, Docteur. Perhaps a, how do you say, analysis can tell us more?"

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am
by SunlessNick
""I see the sense in that Monsieur."

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 16 + 1 Scientific Knowledge, but the Profession of Physician doesn't quite apply here.[dice]0[/dice]
Through a quick series of chemical tests, Doctor North is able to determine that the handkerchief has been treated with an extremely complex solution containing multiple substances, distilled from a variety of plant, animal, and mineral sources. If one were to attempt to duplicate it, one would need to obtain raw materials from many places in the world, possess sophisticated distillation and refining equipment, and spend a great deal of time preparing it.

The guests apparently in agreement not to inform the inhabitants of the manor house of the woman's presence, at least not yet, they are able to place her within one of the guest rooms. By the time this is accomplished, she has fallen into a deep sleep; but only one who could perceive the dreams of another could tell if it is peaceful.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Does she have anything on her person that may help identify her?" asks Henry, checking the handkerchief for a monogram. "A letter, perhaps? A distinctive ring?"

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:29 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A brief examination reveals no marks upon the handkerchief, nor anything else providing a hint as to the woman's identity. It would seem to be an act of impropriety to make a more intimate search.

The point may be a moot one. After remaining in a state of deep slumber -- her room watched, no doubt, by one of the guests, each taking a turn during the night -- she awakes at an early hour. Not so early as servants do, to be sure, given the many preparatory tasks which must be undertaken long before the sun blesses the Earth with its warmth; but earlier than, for example, Lord and Lady Highdark and their offspring, who would rarely witness a sunrise. The time spent making herself more or less presentable allows the gentlemen sufficient opportunity to witness her emerge from retirement. Upon seeing them, she casts her gaze away and remarks, in a voice of controlled sorrow, "Forgive me for disturbing your rest. I will return to my room and trouble you no more."

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 pm
by SunlessNick
"Madam, you were in a state of considerable distress," says William. "I think I may speak for us all when I say that whatever trouble or danger has befallen you, we would be glad to offer you whatever help we may. Certainly we would not dream of sending you off alone."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "But where are my manners? I have not introduced myself. I am Dr. Henry North, Earl of Dunwich, at your service. These gentlemen are Captain William Palliser and Vincent Courcelles de Labrousse."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 am
by Rooter
"But perhaps you are already aware of who we are, madame--or is it mademoiselle?" Vincent adds. He raises the letter he received, written in perfect French. "Did you not seek my aid? Why then did you attack me?"

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Ravenscroft's Story

I see that my attempt to withdraw from a humiliating situation will be of no avail. For this I have no-one to blame but myself. I gambled that my Perfume of Persuasion would prove effective, and win me the co-operation of one whose achievements for the recently martyred royalty of France are known to a privileged few in this kingdom. My failure to do so induced a fit of agitated melancholy, to which I am intermittently subject. Whether this be an imbalance of the humours, or a darkness of the soul, I leave unanswered. I will relate my life's history in a frank and open manner, without that coyness which women are supposed to possess.

My name is Mary Ravenscroft. I came into the world something more than a score of years ago, the only child of poor but respectable parents. My mother's eyes closed for the last time at the moment mine first opened. My father, bereft of a helpmeet, raised me with great care and affection, if little material comforts. As I was his sole heir, I enjoyed the modest privileges he would have afforded to a son. A rare thing in this wicked world, in which Woman is assumed the servant of Man!

I received such education as he could provide. As I do not suffer from that womanly vice known as modesty, which men think proper to my sex, I will confess that I was a gifted pupil, and soon exceeded him in knowledge. All else that I have learnt has come from such men as would deign to instruct a female, and, much more importantly, from books which I could beg, borrow, or, on occasion, steal. I quickly became proficient in ancient and modern languages, and the principles of natural philosophy.

Has it ever occurred to you, gentlemen, what might become of a woman without wealth, but with education and -- I warned you I have no modesty! -- the kind of physical beauty which attracts the attention of males? If I were dull and plain, I would now be a common servant. If learned and plain, a tutor or governess, such as Miss Rye. If dull and pretty, I might have drifted into harlotry. But to be learned and pretty, what else could I do, in this world where the scholarly occupations are restricted to men, than to play the courtesan?

Without going into all the details of my chosen career, in time I captured the eye of Lord Highdark. His great wealth affords me all of my material needs, as well as the materials and equipment I require for my researches. In exchange, I endure his intimate embraces. Lady Highdark is aware of this arrangement, and prefers to have her husband direct his passions in my direction rather than in that of an ignorant slattern. Of course, she does not acknowledge my existence in any way. We are both careful to make sure that our paths never cross, and that no other member of the family knows of me. The servants -- who always know so much more than their masters, it seems! -- see to my needs as I require, and otherwise disregard me. This is the reason that my cries when I was held fast in the grip of my affliction went unremarked.

I have now revealed myself to you and, as every woman must in this world made for men, trust to your discretion. I fancied that I would be able to compel Monsieur de Labrousse to make use of his skills in my effort to unlock the secrets of Highdark Hall. I am as addicted, you see, to the thirst for knowledge, as the smoker of opium is to the fancies of delusion. But as my Perfume of Persuasion has failed, I can no longer hope for such. I will go back to my silent room, for which I sold my so-called virtue.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:10 am
by Rooter
"You intrigue me, mademoiselle, and I bid you to stay one moment," Vincent replies. "Perhaps you shall still have my skills, and those of these other gentlemen if they be willing, for I perceive that you acted from desperation rather than cruelty, non? These secrets of Highdark Hall you speak of, are they secrets of the arcane, or are they of learning, or of wealth? And in what manner might we serve such a quest?"

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Ravenscroft considers this for a moment.

"If you are truly willing to indulge one subject to the vice of curiosity, to as great a degree as Satan was to pride, than I am compelled by my own obsession to reveal to you those mysteries of Highdark Hall which consume me.

"Firstly, then, are those matters pertaining to the Altumber family themselves. Lord Highdark is, as you will have ascertained by now, a simple man. Perhaps our intimacy has influenced my opinion, but I think it accurate.

"Lady Highdark is another matter. Often she is away from the estate for days at a time, without obvious excuse. Lord Highdark, as you will imagine, welcomes these absences for his own reasons; but they remain unexplained, which is a thing I cannot abide, even in the smallest matters.

"The peculiar nature of the young twin girls cannot have escaped your notice. Are they, as one of mystical nature might suggest, one soul in two bodies? Or is their behavior mere mischievousness?

"As I am unable to reveal myself to Lord Highdark's offspring, lest I be forced to vacate his estate, my opportunities to investigate these matters is limited.

"Then there are curious phenomena to be noted both within and without the manor. What are the glowing shapes seen on moonless nights? Whence come the strange sounds from the sealed rooms? What manner of offal produces the more than commonly foul odors arising from beneath the house?

"These things intrigue my restless mind, and I am frustrated by the restrictions placed upon me which prevent me from fully exploring them.

"Now I must return to my chambers, before Lord Highdark's family rises, in order to prevent an unfortunate encounter with them."

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"You may rely upon my discretion, Miss Ravenstone," says Henry. "I believe in the education of women. My first wife, God rest her soul, was a gifted student like yourself, and I've no doubt she could have surpassed me had she not passed away in childbirth, along with our son. My youngest child, your namesake, also shows genius. She is only four, but she has been reading for a year and has an insatiable curiosity not unlike your own. You should not be forced to submit to Lord Highdark's advances. I would be pleased to be your patron and allow you to use my fully stocked laboratory to continue your research, should you ever wish to leave here, with no strings attached. However, I understand that you must unravel the mysteries of Highdark Hall first, and I must admit to being intrigued myself. I shall investigate them and inform you of my findings."

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:17 am
by SunlessNick
"II am no philosopher,," says William, "but be assured of my own affords also."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Ravenscroft takes her leave. The three gentlemen are granted the freedom of the home and estate while they are guests of Lord and Lady Highdark. The family having no particular business occupying them at this time, they are available to serve as companions to the guests as they so please. The many servants are instructed to accommodate the gentlemen as they would their masters. They are, of course, certain areas of the home reserved for the use of the family, as well as others sealed from all entry, but otherwise the guests may wander where they wish, inside or outside.

At the moment, Lord Highdark is examining his collection of curious specimens of the natural world. Lady Highdark is preparing to go for a ride on horseback. Harold is reading a large book, and taking notes with a quill on fine parchment. Georgina and Henry have both gone for a walk, leaving at different times. Julia and Juno are busy with their lessons, conducted by Miss Rye.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are many mysteries here," Henry says to his companions. "We have our choice as to which to investigate first, as well as whether to do so together or separately. I am most interested in the mystery of the twins, which is after all the reason that Lord Highdark summoned me, and Lady Highdark also shares his concerns, though they are occupied at the moment with their lessons. I am curious as to where Lady Highdark goes. It might be a good idea for someone to follow her discreetly, in case she is about to disappear for days as she is wont to do. I would not be a good choice for that, though, as she has spoken to me extensively and would recognise me instantly. She is very observant. Miss Davenport could have followed her trail from a distance without being seen, but she is not with us. We might also investigate the source of the foul odours beneath the house."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:56 am
by Rooter
"Indeed, Docteur," Vincent replies. "Though I expect it will be no simple matter to access the sealed areas, as Miss Ravenscroft has no doubt attempted. Perhaps we should spend some time to win the trust of the Highdark family. Or at least to understand their desires, non? I suspect the Lord and his specimens are better companions for another than myself and I am not so good at riding to accompany the Lady, I think, but Harold seems an approachable fellow. Perhaps I will see what he is reading."

As a student of astrological matters necessary to his craft of magic, Vincent consults his pocket tome on the lunar phases to determine when the next moonless night is scheduled to occur.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:04 pm
by SunlessNick
"Lady Highdark's excursions may be for much the same purpose as her husband's in keeping Miss Ravenscroft," says William with a perhaps too much bluntness. "But it would be as well to find out. I am a keen rider, so f I were to follow her, it would not be too hard to pass my presence off as coincidence. In the meantime, Miss Ravenscroft is not the only party to have spoken of apparitions, so I can make further enquiries on that score."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:09 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Vincent quickly recalls that, during his midnight excursion, the moon was more than half full, and in its waxing phase; it will be something less than a fortnight before the new moon. For the next few days, the moon will rise a few hours after the sun sets, and remain in the sky until the late morning.

After a brief time spent wandering around the manor home, he discovers Harold bent over a large volume, bound in what seems to be an old-fashioned way, in his father's study. Upon seeing Vincent enter the room, he places an unused quill in the book to mark his place and shut it. He rises and greets the guest.

"Good day," he says, walking over to shake Vincent's hand, walking stick in left hand as he limps his way across the room. "I trust your accommodations have proved satisfactory. You are welcome here, of course, but if I may be so bold as to inquire, for what purpose have you come?"

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By subtly turning casual conversation to the subject of supernatural visitations, without expressing either belief or skepticism about such matters, William is able to ascertain that no member of the family save Georgina claims to have witnessed such. A few of the servants, primarily those whose duties involve outside labor, claim to have witnessed a pale glowing shape, much like a will-o'-the wisp, floating above the small lake behind the manor house which is known, by a romantic fancy of Lord Highdark, as the Misty Tarn.

By this time Lady Highdark has set out from the stables. William will have to decide whether to follow her openly, risking the chance of discovery, or set out after her a bit later, requiring him to attempt the difficult business of tracking.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry goes to keep Lord Highdark company and examine the specimens in his collection.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lord Highdark rather absentmindedly greets Doctor North as he peers through a magnifying glass at a rock containing a fossil.

"Strange little petrified creature, what? So many legs. Comes all the way from the Blue Lias cliffs, near Lyme Regis, in Dorset. Quite a selection of curios about the place. Snake-stones, devil's fingers, verteberries, and whatnot.

"Well, do not allow me to bore you with my harmless hobby-horses. I trust your time here has been comfortable. Tell me, have you have sufficient opportunity to observe the twins?"

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am
by Rooter
In the study:

"Merci, monsieur," Vincent replies, shaking Harold's hand. "Please do not get up on my account. As to my purpose, when Docteur North was invited by your father to examine the twins I was brought along to determine if there may be any, how do you say, ill humors in this old house itself which may be affecting the children. I have some small expertise. Par exemple, I understand you have a drainage problem below, non? Tell me, would it be possible to access the sealed areas without trouble?"

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see," Harold replies. "Indeed, a most disagreeable odor can be found in the basement; but, after all, that is where the cesspit is located. Although such matter can provide excellent material for a rose garden, one cannot expect it to possess the same pleasant aroma, ha, ha. Besides, the basement is where the servants reside, and you know what the lower classes are like." He seems to meditate upon this for a while, frowning and speaking as to himself. "Yes, there must not be any intimate connexion between the lower classes and their betters."

Recovering his former cheerful mood, he continues. "As far as the sealed areas of the house -- you mean those on the third floor and in the attic, I take it -- I am afraid I cannot offer you much guidance. They have been so since before I was born. I confess that, as a child, I sometimes attempted to make my way into them, like some common thief. This effort was without result, as they are sealed in a way which would require the strength of Herakles, or the skill of Daedalus, to enter them."

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:16 pm
by SunlessNick
While conversing with Georgina herself, William endeavours to instill a deeper fascination in the girl.
OOC:   Charisma 11, +1 Seduction
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 8; success  
The aura of a military man is perhaps stronger when freed from the violent details of the battlefield.

Following Lady Highdark openly would likely be counterproductive - her destination is presumably meant to be secret.
OOC:   Widom 10, maybe +1 from Profession (would it be fair to say it would come under soldier?), maybe +3 from Expert Equestrian (the book) mentions "chases" on horseback, but not tracking a rider on horseback)
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12; success if Expert Equestrian counts, otherwise failure.  
William is skilled on horseback, but it remains to be seen whether that is enough that he can follow Lady Highdark's trail.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've begun to observe them," says Henry, "but I have not made enough observations to draw a definite conclusion yet. There are two possibilities. The twins do act as though they share a single mind between them, and that may turn out to be the case. It is also possible that they are putting on an act out of mischievousness. I have an experiment in mind that I'd like to try once their lesson ends. I plan to put them in separate rooms and then have one of them write down a word of her choice on a scrap of paper. Then I will go to the other room where her sister is, and ask her what word she wrote. If they do truly share one mind, she will know. However, she may not be truthful in her reply, and she could tell me that she does not know, or guess the wrong word, even if she does know it. It is also possible that she might guess the word correctly, but that they do not share a single mind, if they are capable of knowing each other's thoughts. Further experimentation will be needed, but that should make a good start, and the results of the initial experiment will indicate in which direction I should proceed."

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The Tracking thing is a little tricky here; it costs a ten point penalty from Wisdom for one not trained in it (or a Demon Hunter after something preternatural.) However, given the Expert Equestrian skill, and for the sake of an interesting story, let's allow William to Track without the penalty when following someone on horseback.
Just before setting out after Lady Highdark, William is confronted by the foundling Henry, who is red-faced, disheveled, and breathing rapidly, having evidently run for some distance. He speaks rapidly, and with barely restrained passion.

"I have just been out walking with Georgina -- Miss Altumber -- and her conversation is of nothing but the dashing and charming Captain Palliser. Captain Palliser this! Captain Palliser that! Do not think me such a fool as to imagine that you are without designs upon her. I may not possess your fine manners or bearing, nor was I born to high estate, but I am not without honor. I warn you not to press your attentions upon her. Good day, sir!"

With that, he marches away.

After this encounter, William is able to follow the subtle traces of Lady Highdark's path. They lead to a small, rough-hewn wooden structure surrounded by trees, such as might be used by hunters. The hoofprints about the place indicate that Lady dismounted here, entered the structure, then remounted and went on. It would be possible to follow the tracks further. It would also be possible to investigate the structure, although this would allow Lady Highdark to gain some distance beyond her pursuer.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"An interesting possibility," Lord Highdark replies. "I must warn you, however, that Julia and Juno have never been separated since their birth. Every attempt to do so, even for a moment, results in outbursts of rage and despair that I can only compare to the shrieks of souls in Perdition. Neither Lady Highdark nor I thought it worth the battle to keep them apart. Perhaps you might have more success. I suggest that you speak to Miss Rye who, if truth be told, has spent more time in their company than their parents. They should be finished with their lessons in a short time."

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 pm
by SunlessNick
William will take the chance and investigate the structure.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 pm
by Rooter
in the study:

"Merci, this information is trés useful," Vincent replies to Harold. "Ah, I noticed some interesting carvings upon your walking stick at dinner. May I take a look?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William will take the chance and investigate the structure.
No apparent attempt has been made to hide the things within it. As best as can be told, the structure serves as a storage area. It can easily be seen that it contains a brace of pistols as well as a supply of ammunition. There are also indications that another such set of weapons was formerly stored here, but has been recently taken away, judging by the patterns of dust found on the simple cabinet wherein the pistols are found. Another item of furniture, resembling a crude closet, holds a set of men's riding clothes. Once again, it seems as if another such set has been removed. Upon a rough table lie a set of women's riding clothes.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"In that case, Lord Highdark," says Henry, "I won't try to separate them. I'll have to put them in chairs back to back, to keep them from communicating for the duration of the experiment. I'll just have to give specific instructions and hope they obey. I'll couch the whole thing as a game, and offer them each a prize if they get it right. Perhaps a toffee? I'll go speak to Miss Rye once their lessons are done."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:in the study:

"Merci, this information is trés useful," Vincent replies to Harold. "Ah, I noticed some interesting carvings upon your walking stick at dinner. May I take a look?"
"Certainly," Harold replies with a touch of pride. He braces himself carefully on the desk and offers the stick. "It is a most curious piece, is it not? I obtained it from a wandering Gypsy not long ago. Not that I normally approve of dealings with such persons, you understand, but it was such a handsome piece of work that I could not resist. Certainly, it is preferable to the ordinary walking sticks upon which I formerly relied. The carvings are said to bring good luck."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"In that case, Lord Highdark," says Henry, "I won't try to separate them. I'll have to put them in chairs back to back, to keep them from communicating for the duration of the experiment. I'll just have to give specific instructions and hope they obey. I'll couch the whole thing as a game, and offer them each a prize if they get it right. Perhaps a toffee? I'll go speak to Miss Rye once their lessons are done."
This being agreed to, Doctor North is directed to the nursery on the second floor, near the bed chambers of Lady Highdark and her daughters. The twins no longer in their infancy, the nursery is now used by them as a place of instruction and recreation. It is a cheerful room decorated in pastel colors, full of the usual playthings; blocks, a fine Noah's Ark, and so forth. Several childish drawings of animals are scattered about.

Doctor North is introduced to Miss Rye. She is a woman slightly past the first blush of youth, with features plain but not unpleasant. Her mien and manner are serious.

"How may I be of service, my Lord?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:38 pm
by SunlessNick
"It seems I was mistaken about Lady Highdark's purpose in these excursions," murmurs William to himself. Leaving everything as he found it, he resumes his attempt to follow Lady Highdark's trail.
OOC:   Wisdom 10, +3 Expert Equestrian
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12, success  

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm
by Rooter
In the study:

"Oui, it is a fine work," Vincent says, admiring the walking stick. "And let us hope the luck is true, non? A Gypsy may know more than they seem." He hands the stick back and takes his leave.

Vincent heads down to the basement, intending to smell this mysterious odor for himself.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Miss Rye," says Henry. "Lord Highdark wishes for me to discover the reason for the twins' behaviour, so I thought the first thing I should do was to come see you. You've spent a great deal of time with them and know them very well, and I would value your insights." He then explains his experiment idea to her. "Perhaps you could be of assistance in getting them to cooperate."
OOC,I've got a pretty good idea of what [b]Lady Highdark[/b] gets up to on her excursions.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"It seems I was mistaken about Lady Highdark's purpose in these excursions," murmurs William to himself. Leaving everything as he found it, he resumes his attempt to follow Lady Highdark's trail.
OOC:   Wisdom 10, +3 Expert Equestrian
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12, success  

The track leads on for quite some distance, into wild areas where a man on horseback can only travel slowly. Due to the density of the trees, foot travel might actually be faster. From time to time other hoofprints can be seen to join those of Lady Highdark.

Eventually the path leads to a low rise, from which it is possible to observe an open area just below.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Four figures, dressed in riding outfits, stand near their steeds, caring for them in ways that indicate that they will soon be ridden again. Not far from them is a man dressed in ragged clothing. He seems nervous, judging by the movements of his legs and hands. Despite this state of agitation, he makes no effort to flee from the others, nor is he bound in any way. The riders wear pistols, but they are not currently in use. They engage in soft conversation, not audible from this distance, with occasional rough laughter. They are not aware that they are being observed.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:In the study:

"Oui, it is a fine work," Vincent says, admiring the walking stick. "And let us hope the luck is true, non? A Gypsy may know more than they seem." He hands the stick back and takes his leave.

Vincent heads down to the basement, intending to smell this mysterious odor for himself.
The main entrance to the basement leads to a large room filled with furniture, either not in the best condition and in need of repair, or not required for some other reason. To the left, beyond a room filled with all manner of lumber and woodworking tools, lie the bedchambers for the female servants. To the right are those for the male servants, as well as storage rooms for other equipment. Beyond this lie the wine cellar, root cellar, meat cellar, and other such kitchen storage areas which require a constant cool environment. A set of stairs leads far down to the cesspit, which is, of course, kept well away from the other rooms in the basement. (The servants tasked with emptying chamber pots into it have a task which is not envied by any of their fellows.) Given the large number of servants employed by the Altumbers, there are always a number of them about, working, sleeping, or skylarking.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you, Miss Rye," says Henry. "Lord Highdark wishes for me to discover the reason for the twins' behaviour, so I thought the first thing I should do was to come see you. You've spent a great deal of time with them and know them very well, and I would value your insights." He then explains his experiment idea to her. "Perhaps you could be of assistance in getting them to cooperate."
OOC,I've got a pretty good idea of what [b]Lady Highdark[/b] gets up to on her excursions.
"Certainly, my Lord. One need only accept their quaint eccentricities, and find them to be agreeable children." Miss Rye addresses the twins.

"Ladies, this gentleman wishes to play a game. Will that not be most enjoyable? Please do as he tells you, or Poppy will be displeased."

"Yes, Miss--

Rye, we shall--

be pleased to--

play this--

game with the--

fine gentleman. We --

do not--

wish to upset--

Poppy again."

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent," says Henry. "If you win the game, I shall give each of you a toffee. In order to win, it's important to play by the rules, and that means following the instructions exactly." He takes two chairs and places them back to back in the center of the room and invites the girls to sit down on them. Then he takes a small writing desk and places it in front of one of the girls, putting upon it a scrap of paper and a quill and inkpot. "Now, it is important that you say nothing at all. I want you to write a word, any word at all, upon this piece of paper, but remember not to say anything." He won't look at the word on the paper himself yet, just to rule out the possibility that they could be reading his mind instead of each other's.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The twins grow silent -- no small achievement of its own! -- and glance at each other, as well as gazing intently at their little doll. They take their places and write as instructed. Doctor North watches carefully to make sure there is no cheating.

Once retrieved, the papers both say, in identical, childish handwriting, ARDELIO.

Being quite familiar with the language of the ancient Romans, Doctor North is able to translate this as MEDDLER.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done," says Henry, handing them each a toffee. "You have won the game. You may speak again now. That's a pretty dolly you have. Did your parents give it to you?"

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, no--

indeed, sir. We--

found her among--

the great stones that--

stand in a circle--

behind the house. Papa--

calls them the Druid--

Stones."

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 am
by Rooter
In the basement:

Sniffing the air, Vincent heads in the general direction of the steps leading further down to the cesspit. He stops the first servant he encounters. "Excusez-moi, I have heard reports of an unusual odor beneath the house. But not the cesspit, comprendre? Have you encountered it?"

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Aye, summat comes from root cellar, does. Turnips it is, says I. Never cared for 'em, meself."

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 am
by Rooter
"Merci," Vincent replies, and bends his steps in the direction of the root cellar.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The root cellar is a large, cool, dim room with a wide variety of vegetables stored in wooden bins. At first, one is greeted with the sharp scent of onions, followed by the more earthy aromas of beets, swedes, carrots, cabbages, parsnips, and the turnips to which the servant objected. Lord Highdark being a man of resource, and fond of unusual foodstuffs, has even imported a small supply of lumpy tubers from the New World.

After some time, the air becomes permeated by a disagreeable odor that resembles the stench of rotting fish. It is peculiar that it should have only appeared after one was in the room for some time; one would have thought it so overwhelming that it would have been noticed at once. It is not evident from exactly where it arises.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 pm
by SunlessNick
William presumes that one of the four armed figures is Lady Highdark. Without drawing closer he tries to discern if the other three are men or also ladies in men's clothing - if he cannot within a few minutes, he will withdraw.

(His conclusion is that Lady Highdark appears to be engaging in banditry, or some similar criminal enterprise - a most amusing development in which he has no intention of interfering.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Ah," says Henry, thinking that this explains much. It must be this mysterious doll that is somehow the cause of their strange behavior. "How long ago did you find her?"

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William presumes that one of the four armed figures is Lady Highdark. Without drawing closer he tries to discern if the other three are men or also ladies in men's clothing - if he cannot within a few minutes, he will withdraw.

(His conclusion is that Lady Highdark appears to be engaging in banditry, or some similar criminal enterprise - a most amusing development in which he has no intention of interfering.)
They have made no effort to disguise themselves. It is quite obvious that the other three are men.

After a while, Lady Highdark -- there is no doubt that it is she -- speaks much more loudly than before.

"It is nearly the hour, my good man. Are you ready?"

"As ready as ever will be," replies the man in rags. "'Tis this or back to Newgate, and I've no hankerin' for the gallows."

"A wise decision." She turns to the other men. "Ready, gentlemen?"

They reply with enthusiastic acknowledgements.

"Very well. We will begin in one quarter of an hour. Run!"

This last word is shouted. The ragged fellow scurries away as quick as his legs will take him. Lady Highdark and her companions prepare their pistols and mount their horses.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Ah," says Henry, thinking that this explains much. It must be this mysterious doll that is somehow the cause of their strange behavior. "How long ago did you find her?"
"Oh, was ever--

and ever so--

long ago. We--

were just little--

then. Miss Rye--

took us to see--

the stones and--

we fell into--

a very deep--

sleep and--

woke with Poppy--

at our side in--

our own bed. You--

must forgive--

the naughty--

girl, sir. She--

doesn't like--

you."

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course I forgive the naughty girl," says Henry. "Miss Rye, do you remember when this happened?"

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I am afraid the children are overly imaginative, my Lord. They are very fond of fairy stories and such nonsense. This doll -- you see it is a dirty, ragged thing, but they dote upon it so -- has been in their possession time out of mind. Where or when they obtained it, heaven only knows. I certainly had nothing to do with it.

"To speak truly," Miss Rye says more softly, "it has become something of a blessing in disguise. Any attempt to remove it from them results in unspeakable tantrums and destructive behavior that would shame an imp. It is not my place to question the manner in which Lord and Lady Highdark have chosen to raise their children. I merely make observation."

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:48 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:This last word is shouted. The ragged fellow scurries away as quick as his legs will take him. Lady Highdark and her companions prepare their pistols and mount their horses.
Hunting a man down is a very different thing from banditry. William will note the direction the man is running, and pause just long enough to see whether Lady Highdark and her companions appear to be keeping their word about waiting a quarter of an hour. Then he will return to his horse and ride hard in a direction calculated to intercept the man.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I see," says Henry. "Thank you, Miss Rye. I shall return to his Lordship now." He then goes to seek out Lord Highdark, to inform him of what he's learned and to inquire about the Druid Stones.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The four hunters do indeed seem to be telling the truth about allowing the man a head start. Captain Palliser will, of course, be aware of the fact that racing after the fellow will reveal his presence to the others.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Lord Highdark accepts Doctor North's account of the experiment with the twins.

"Interesting, most interesting," he muses. "Something of a metapsychosis, what? Well, as long the little dears are happy.

"As for the Druid Stones, that is my own whimsical designation for a group of standing stones, not far from the Misty Tarn; another of my fancies, you see. You are familiar with Stonehenge? The structure on my property is of a similar nature, but much smaller. It is a fine place from which to observe the tarn and engage in peaceful meditation."

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, I would like to see these stones for myself," says Henry. "The twins claim that they found their old doll among the stones. Miss Rye doesn't believe this to be the case, but she does not recall the origin of the doll, only that they've had it for as long as she can remember. I suspect that the doll is what enables them to share minds with each other. However, Miss Rye informed me that any attempt to take it away from them would result in them having horrible tantrums. It may be possible to fashion a counterfeit doll that looks identical and swap it, if they ever put the thing down. It wouldn't surprise me if they sleep with it, which would otherwise be the ideal time. Judging from the dirty state of the doll, it doesn't appear they bathe with it, so perhaps a switch could be made then. Still, I think they would be able to know the difference, if taking it away causes their ability to depart. Perhaps I can learn more by examining the stones."

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 pm
by Rooter
in the root cellar:

"Sacre bleu!" Vincent pokes among the vegetable bins for as long as he is able to stand it in an attempt to ascertain the origin of the foul odor.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:52 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The four hunters do indeed seem to be telling the truth about allowing the man a head start. Captain Palliser will, of course, be aware of the fact that racing after the fellow will reveal his presence to the others.
If there is no route that will maintain his concealment, then pursuing the quarry would be suicide - assuming the three men are armed similarly to Lady Highdark, it would be their eight pistols to William's one.

In that case, William will wait until close to the point where they mean to give chase, then shoot Lady Highdark's horse before riding away hard. Hopefully Lady Highdark will not want to be left alone, and will insist on taking one of her compatriot's horses, which means only two of them will be able to give immediate pursuit - that seems to offer the best chance for both himself and the quarry.
OOC:   Dexterity 12 +1 Soldier Profession +3 Good Shot
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 5, success  
Should William be able to outdistance his pursuers, he will circle the Hall so he can be seen to approach from a different direction. Otherwise he will make for the shack where he recalls another pair of pistols being stored.
OOC:   Dexterity 12 +3 Expert Equestrian
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 13, success (though I assume their own rolls will contest this)  

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:in the root cellar:

"Sacre bleu!" Vincent pokes among the vegetable bins for as long as he is able to stand it in an attempt to ascertain the origin of the foul odor.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Despite a brave effort to determine the exact origin of the stench, it is impossible to find a single source. Rather, it seems to permeate the room from all directions at once. After a while it vanishes, as if it had never been there at all.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
William will wait until close to the point where they mean to give chase, then shoot Lady Highdark's horse before riding away hard. Hopefully Lady Highdark will not want to be left alone, and will insist on taking one of her compatriot's horses, which means only two of them will be able to give immediate pursuit - that seems to offer the best chance for both himself and the quarry.
The shot strikes home!
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The beast falls to the ground, injured but not to such a degree as it will be necessary to slaughter the brute. Lady Highdark is thrown from her steed.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Unladylike curses reveal the fact that she has suffered an injury as well, but not one that threatens her life. Unable to remount at this time, she shouts to the three men.

"Where did that come from? Find him!"
Spoiler:
3 x WIS = 9[dice]2[/dice]
Fortunately for the brave Captain, none of the fellows are able to discover from whence the shot was fired. Cheated of their sport, they make haste to provide what care they can to Lady Highdark. Captain Palliser is able to return to the manor home unmolested.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Ah, I would like to see these stones for myself," says Henry. "The twins claim that they found their old doll among the stones. Miss Rye doesn't believe this to be the case, but she does not recall the origin of the doll, only that they've had it for as long as she can remember. I suspect that the doll is what enables them to share minds with each other. However, Miss Rye informed me that any attempt to take it away from them would result in them having horrible tantrums. It may be possible to fashion a counterfeit doll that looks identical and swap it, if they ever put the thing down. It wouldn't surprise me if they sleep with it, which would otherwise be the ideal time. Judging from the dirty state of the doll, it doesn't appear they bathe with it, so perhaps a switch could be made then. Still, I think they would be able to know the difference, if taking it away causes their ability to depart. Perhaps I can learn more by examining the stones."
"Not even during their weekly bath time are they away from their silly plaything," Lord Highdark explains, "clutched in a hand out of the tub that it might not be dampened. Personally, I think it foolish to wash oneself when there is no need, but my lady wife is of more modern prejudices, and I yield to her will in such matters. Be that as it may, you are certainly free to explore the Druid Stones at your leisure. If nothing else, I am sure it will find it a pleasant excursion."

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Lord Highdark," says Henry. "I believe I shall examine the Druid Stones now. How may I get there from here?"

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a simple matter to direct Doctor North to the Druid Stones. By taking the walking path directly behind the manor home, one soon comes to a crossroads. Directly ahead, the path continues on to the Misty Tarn, where there is a small boathouse and dock for those who wish to sail to the islet in the center of that lake, upon which grows a very large, ancient oak tree. To the right lies a small chapel, and a modest residence for the purpose of accommodating visiting parsons. To the left, the path climbs a hill to reach the Druid Stones.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 am
by Rooter
In the root cellar:

Nothing so foul-smelling and strange could be good, Vincent considers. He murmurs an incantation to detect the presence of Evil.
Spoiler:
-1 HP

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:08 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The uncanny power of the spell reveals that a being of dull but all-encompassing malevolence lies at some distance below the root cellar, near the northwest corner of the room.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry ascends the path to the Druid Stones.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm
by SunlessNick
William makes sure to circle the Hall so as to be seen returning from a different direction than the one Lady Highdark rode out on. Upon arrival he will enquire as to the whereabouts of his fellow guests.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As luck would have it, Captain Palliser comes upon Doctor North as he is on his way to the Druid Stones. No doubt they will exchange such information as they possess, and decide whether Captain Palliser wishes to accompany Doctor North on his excursion. Captain Palliser will, of course, be informed that the Frenchman is exploring the basement at this time.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:01 am
by SunlessNick
William will accompany Lord Dunwich, reasoning that the excursion will serve to distance him from what befell Lady Highdark.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As has already been indicated, the Druid Stones stand upon a rise which provides a view of the Misty Tarn. The explanation for the lake's fanciful name is evident. Even on a clear, warm day, such as the gentlemen are currently enjoying, wisps of fog drift over the surface of the water.

The stones themselves form an irregular circle, although a few have fallen through the course of time. What people might have erected them, for what purpose, and using what methods -- for they are obviously quite heavy, and stand about twice as tall as a man -- remain matters of speculation. Like the much larger and more complex Stonehenge, some of romantic fancy have suggested that they were raised by Merlin's enchantments; others, that they are erected by the giants said to inhabit the world before the Flood. A few suggest that they are the result of Druid ritual, or witches' black magic. There is, of course, no real evidence for any of these hypotheses.

All is peaceful and calm here. The only sound is the distant cry of birds.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we should find Monsieur de Labrousse and bring him here," says Henry. "He may be able to tell if there is something mystical about this site."

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 am
by Rooter
In the root cellar:

Perturbed by his findings, Vincent retraces his steps back up into the house to see what the others are doing; and perhaps it is nearly time for déjeuner?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After enjoying -- if that is the correct word; this English food! -- a light repast, Monsieur de Labrousse is informed of the current whereabouts of the other two guests, and is able to join them after a brief and pleasant walk. They are investigating the Druid Stones, having as yet come to no conclusion about them.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:13 pm
by SunlessNick
Has Lord Highdark or one of the servants accompanied William and Lord Dunwich? If not, William will describe what occurred with Lady Highdark when Vincent arrives. "The man in rags spoke of Newgate or the gallows, so one may assume he was a criminal. But even a criminal does not deserve to be hunted for sport like an animal."

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "That's even worse than her being a highwayman, which is what I had suspected when you first mentioned the pistols and the male riding clothes. You did well in stopping her this time, but she will try again one of these days. We need a permanent solution. Blackmail is one possibility to stop her from hunting men, but she would be a very dangerous woman to cross. She would most likely kill anyone who attempted such a thing. And then there are her companions. I don't think they would stop, even if she did."

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 am
by Rooter
"Oui, and there is an evil presence at work in Highdark Hall," Vincent adds, explaining his discovery beneath the house. "This may be influencing the behavior of Lady Highdark and perhaps the twins also, non?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:31 am
by SunlessNick
William seems not to entirely follow Vincent's explanation, but takes it seriously enough. "Lady Highdark's behaviour, however villainous, can have little bearing on the other matters we are investigating. This malevolence you sense may, and as you say, may be influencing her also. It should be our priority. Though I confess I must defer to the two of you as to how to proceed against it."

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think you are right about that," says Henry. "I shall have to see if I can locate the source of the odour." He fills in Vincent and William about his deductions. "That mysterious doll may be influencing the twins, and they apparently found it here. Can you sense anything about these stones, or the site in general?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:02 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There are no servants, or anyone else, within earshot, so the three guests may discuss matters in full confidence. After some time, however, they can see, from a distance, Lady Highdark, now dressed in proper female attire, slowly riding back to the manor home. It is evident that both she and her mount are not in the best of condition. Near the house, a servant helps her dismount and limp inside.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 am
by Rooter
Vincent shrugs. "It is not so easy. I must rest soon." But he murmurs the syllables of another incantation to Detect Evil here.
Spoiler:
2 HP remaining.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Frenchman is able to determine that a source of evil was located among the stones a few years ago, but that it has been moved to some other place since then. He is clearly in need of time to recover from the effort involved.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am
by Rooter
After relaying his findings, Vincent heads back to the house to rest until the evening meal.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm
by SunlessNick
"Shall we examine the cellars for ourselves?" asks William once he and Lord Dunwich are alone.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let us go," says Henry. "I can collect samples to analyse later, and you and Ivan will be more than capable if the evil there decides to manifest."

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When the three guests return from their excursion, Lord Highdark remarks that Lady Highdark has returned from her ride with a slight injury, and will not be present at the evening meal.

"Nothing serious, gentleman. Seems some d-----d fool of a hunter discharged a pistol in her direction. Thought her horse was a stag, I suppose. Missed her, Heaven be thanked, but threw her from her mount."

After offering their wishes for a swift and full recovery, Vincent retires whilst Henry and William explore the cellar. Their experience is similar to that of the Frenchman, although of course they do not possess his uncanny ability to experience evil as if it were a physical sensation.
Spoiler:
WIS from low to high of Ivan, William, and Henry = 9, 10, 11[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North is too busy making a close examination of the contents of the room to notice what the other two men discover quickly. Perhaps this is what some call missing the forest for the trees. In any case, he will soon be informed that a cunningly constructed trap door, set upon the floor in a dark corner, has been found. The foul odor seems to be stronger here than elsewhere.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm
by SunlessNick
Can the trapdoor be opened without forcing it?

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon closer examination, it becomes obvious that the trap door is not secured in any way. However, it is clearly designed to be operated from below rather than above. To open it from the root cellar would require the use of a knife or some other such object to pull it up.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well spotted," says Henry. "We'll need a source of light to see below, of course. I happen to have a device I invented, the Illuminator, that will suffice. It shouldn't be hard to open it. A prybar would be ideal, and there may be one in the cellar for opening barrels and crates." He and Ivan begin to look around for one.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Such a tool is easily obtained. Upon first being opened, the trapdoor emits a powerful miasma of the disagreeable odor. The sound of something moving in water echoes from far below. The Illuminator reveals a long shaft, slick with moss and lichen, running down a great distance. The light reflects off a pool of slime-filled water that lies at the bottom. There is no obvious way to descend to, or, for that matter, to ascend from, the pool.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"The evil must be down there," says Henry, wrinkling his nose. "It certainly smells evil. While I could rig up a rope and pulley system if we wished to climb down the shaft, it doesn't exactly look safe - or dry, for that matter."

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 am
by SunlessNick
"Certainly I would wish for rougher clothing before attempting a descent."

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no evident purpose to remaining in the root cellar for now, the adventurers make their way back upstairs, preparing themselves for the evening meal and sharing such information as they possess. By now the Frenchman is in better condition, able to accompany them to the dining room.

The meal is an informal one. Lady Highdark is excused due to her injury. It seems that the twins are also not present, no doubt because of the absence of their mother. Lord Highdark and his adult children are there, as well as his adopted ward. Cold meats and bread make up the bulk of the meal, as well as uncooked vegetables such as radishes, cucumbers, celery, and the like. It is notable that Henry, the foundling, frowns at Captain Palliser throughout the meal.

"I trust you enjoyed your excursion to the Druid Stones, gentlemen," Lord Highdark remarks. "Has this aided your investigations in any way?"

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it was relaxing," says Henry. "It may have given us some help in our investigation. I'll let Monsieur de Labrousse fill you in on what he was able to observe there."

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 am
by Rooter
"Ah, oui, I feel there is an unusual history of the stones as there is of the house itself," Vincent says. "We must learn all we can. Tomorrow maybe we try to look in the sealed areas, non? But for the stones, perhaps you recall a few years ago, my lord, a strange visitor?"

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Strange visitor, sir? I know not what you mean," Lord Highdark replies. "Perhaps this is some imagining of the passionate French nature, which is not always kept in check by reason."

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry's thoughts return to the trapdoor and the shaft in the cellar. He could set up a rope and pulley system later and use it to lower a bucket on a rope down the shaft, much like one would do with a well. With the bucket, he could take a sample for analysis.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am
by Rooter
"Touché," Vincent replies to Lord Highdark. "I believe you may be correct, monsieur. I am fond of, par exemple, ghost stories. Do you have any stories of Highdark Hall?"

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Ghosts? Nonsense! A foolish superstition, fit only to frighten naughty children," Lord Highdark says.

"But Papa," Georgina remarks softly, "have you not heard me speak of strange figures seen upon the Misty Tarn on moonless nights?"

"Mere illusion, my dear," her father answers indulgently. "Fog and starlight."

"I have no wish to be quarrelsome, sir," Henry says," but I have witnessed such as well, while in the company of Miss Altumber. They seemed to be nearly human in form and--"

The foundling is interrupted by a harsh remark from Harold.

"Were you not forbidden to go out with my sister after sunset? It is most unseemly. Perhaps a good thrashing would restore your memory."

Lord Highdark attempts to restore order by changing the subject.

"I heard you mention the sealed areas of the house," he says to Vincent. "I must insist that they not be disturbed."

He makes no further explanation, evidently assuming his word, as lord of the estate, is law.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am
by Rooter
"As you wish, monsieur," Vincent replies, turning back to his meal.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The mood having grown somber, there is little more conversation until the end of the meal, when all go about their business.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've had some thoughts about that shaft we found," Henry tells his companions when they're alone. "Once we set up a rope and pulley, we can tie a bucket to the rope and lower it down the shaft to collect a sample of the liquid so I can analyse it, just like drawing water from a well. Whatever's moving in the water may interfere, but if it does, at least we should get a good look at it."

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 am
by SunlessNick
"A good idea," says William.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With the help of a servant skilled in carpentry -- and, fortunately, not one of an inquisitive nature -- such an apparatus is assembled by the middle of the afternoon the next day. It proves to have been a wise precaution to procure much rope, as the bucket is lowered a very great distance, into impenetrable darkness, until it can be felt to have reached the bottom. It requires much time and effort to raise it again. It seems that the bucket was unmolested during its time below. It returns full of greenish, foul-smelling water, full of vegetable matter as well as gelatinous objects of irregular size and shape. Some of these move about, as if under their own power, although no organs can be discerned in their soft, slimy, protean forms.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 pm
by Rooter
Meanwhile, Vincent seeks out the more edifying company of Miss Ravenscroft, and relates the previous day's discoveries. "So you see, mademoiselle, there is evil here. The others are men of the material world but I think you cannot catch such evil like a fish, non? And some presence at the stones years ago which may be linked. There must be something in the history of this house and its people to draw such beings and I wonder if the answer may be found in the sealed rooms. But his lordship has forbidden entry! You are familiar with this building, mademoiselle, what do you suggest?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 am
by SunlessNick
At the same time, William will take a walk with Georgina and pose a similar question. "It is true that your father has ordered against entering that part of the house, and naturally I would not suggest you going against him. Nevertheless, your perceptive nature has proven a match to your beauty, and find myself bound to believe your accounts of the apparitions you have seen - and it seems that if a cause for them is not apparent elsewhere, then it may be there. I am sure you are acquainted enough with all the ways of this house to know of a way it might be investigated without direct disobedience."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry goes to the laboratory, the one that Mary Ravenscroft had mentioned using, to conduct scientific analysis on the substances in the bucket, starting by distilling them into individual substances so that each can be analyzed separately.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Locating the laboratory requires the assistance of Miss Ravenscroft. From her bedchamber, located in a discreet but accessible place on the second floor, a hidden panel grants access to a flight of stairs. These lead upward two floors. As she passes the first of these, Miss Ravenscroft points out the solidity of their surroundings.

"As you can see, there is no access to the third floor from here. If there were, we would be able to reach the sealed rooms on this level. This is, as you know, the same level as your guest rooms."

The three continue to the fourth floor. The stairs end in what at first seems to be a blank wall. Another secret panel grants access to a small but well-equipped laboratory.

"Beyond the thick walls of this room," Miss Ravenscroft explains, "lie other sealed area. I possess not the strength to open them, and have not yet devised an instrument to do so. Perhaps you will have more luck."

Analysis of the contents of the bucket reveal that it contains, surprisingly for a place this far from the coast, seawater. It contains a large number of sulfurous compounds, explaining the foul smell.
Examination under a good microscope reveals all manner of animalcules invisible to the naked eye. The shapeless, translucent objects are similar to jellyfish, although they possess not even the simple organs of those creatures.

From this room can be heard, from time to time, a sound as of very heavy footsteps not far away. The very faint sound of someone sobbing and muttering comes from somewhere near as well.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Georgina is at first reluctant to discuss such matters. After gentle persuasion, however, she speaks, softly and hesitantly, with a blush.

"Henry and I have been fond of each other since we were children. Once, when we were quite young, he led me into certain of the sealed rooms; in what manner I do not know, save that he seemed to possess a skill at entering into these places. We did not enter very far into these areas, and I understood little of what I saw; odd-looking books and strange instruments, for the most part. I heard disturbing sounds, and asked Henry to take me away from them. I have not returned since."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:58 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I have not returned since."
"Perhaps you could show me the route you took," says William. "You would be safe with me by your side."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm
by Rooter
On the fourth floor:

"Mon dieu!" says Vincent, pressing his ear to the sealed wall. "Who is there?"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello!" calls Henry. "What is going on? Can I help?" He is sure that if it comes to it, he could devise an instrument to open the sealed areas, or failing that, Ivan certainly possesses the necessary strength.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:On the fourth floor:

"Mon dieu!" says Vincent, pressing his ear to the sealed wall. "Who is there?"
Spoiler:
WIS=11[dice]0[/dice]
There is no response, simply the continuing sobbing and muttering. Vincent is unable to make out anything of what is said.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Hello!" calls Henry. "What is going on? Can I help?" He is sure that if it comes to it, he could devise an instrument to open the sealed areas, or failing that, Ivan certainly possesses the necessary strength.
There is no response to Doctor North's inquiries.

"One of Highdark Hall's many mysteries," Miss Ravenscroft remarks, with a surprising lack of concern. "I am afraid that I must leave you to it, gentlemen, as I have a rendezvous to keep with Lord Highdark, and I would not wish to jeopardize my position here."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I have not returned since."
"Perhaps you could show me the route you took," says William. "You would be safe with me by your side."
With some reluctance, Georgina leads William to the fourth floor. The eastern half is easily accessible, but contains nothing but empty rooms. The central area, as well as the western rooms, are sealed off.

"I do not know how Henry managed to enter the western rooms," Georgina remarks. "I simply followed him inside. The central area defeated even his efforts, and it is from there that the frightening sounds emerged."

As if in response to her words, a low moaning sound comes from behind the thick walls of the central area.
Spoiler:
Her CHA = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Georgina shivers in terror and clings to William's arm. She grows pale, and seems to remain sensate only by great effort.

"Let us leave this place! I fear it is haunted!"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Georgina shivers in terror and clings to William's arm. She grows pale, and seems to remain sensate only by great effort.
"Of course, Georgina. We can search from here." William takes her arm and leads her back to the safer parts of the house. "Perhaps it would be better if you kept this excursion of ours secret for the time being, lest an account of what we heard alarm others in the house." His kisses her hand in farewell, letting his lips linger a little longer than is proper, then goes to find the others.

"Gentlemen. Georgina has shown me a place from which Henry, the foundling boy, gained entrance to the sealed rooms. She was not able to recall the exact route - it was many years ago - but our combined efforts may be able to find it. And in light of the talk of haunting, I must confess I heard some very strange sounds from within."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a short time, the sounds cease, and there is only silence. It seems likely that they only occur at infrequent intervals, and have thus not drawn as much attention as might have been thought.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry shares his discoveries about what was at the bottom of the shaft. "We were ordered not to disturb the sealed areas," he says, "but we were not told not to enter them - though I think Lord Highdark would not appreciate the distinction. Still, the source of the evil is within that shaft, not in the sealed areas. Perhaps we should research the history of this property and the Highdark family. We need to learn more about the nature of this evil and how it got here, and why it seems to have moved from the Druid Stones to the shaft under the cellar. We could start in the library, or at least some of us could."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 am
by Rooter
"My english is not so good for reading history books, Docteur," Vincent remarks, searching the wall for some hidden means of entry.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry shares his discoveries about what was at the bottom of the shaft. "We were ordered not to disturb the sealed areas," he says, "but we were not told not to enter them - though I think Lord Highdark would not appreciate the distinction. Still, the source of the evil is within that shaft, not in the sealed areas. Perhaps we should research the history of this property and the Highdark family. We need to learn more about the nature of this evil and how it got here, and why it seems to have moved from the Druid Stones to the shaft under the cellar. We could start in the library, or at least some of us could."
Doctor North spends a full day exploring Lord Highdark's library for any relevant information, among the many volumes dedicated to the history of the Altumber family; which, if truth be told, makes for very dull reading.
Spoiler:
int = 16[dice]0[/dice]
One quaint and curious volume, a century or more old, relates a unpleasant event which occurred long before the book was composed. It seems that certain disreputable persons made use of the Druid Stones to perform blasphemous rituals, which the anonymous author refuses to describe. Some dozen or so of these were tried, tortured, and hung for witchery. The author admits that not all of these may have been guilty of that crime. According to the dying words of one of the accused, "the Ancient One will rise and devour Highdark Hall." The bodies of those executed were thrown into the Misty Tarn.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:47 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:"My english is not so good for reading history books, Docteur," Vincent remarks, searching the wall for some hidden means of entry.
Spoiler:
wis = 11[dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be any obvious way to enter.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry tells his companions about his findings, hoping that Vincent will have some insight into the supernatural elements.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Stretching a point here to allow an INT (9) check + 1 for Esoteric Knowledge = 10[dice]0[/dice]
After having the events described in the odd little book described to him, the Frenchman is able to recall other arcane references to a so-called Ancient One. Some grimoires suggest that there are ways to summon such a being, said to be a fearsome creature dwelling in the depths of the ocean, to do the bidding of the summoner. These mystical tomes warn that the ritual required is of great difficulty, and is prone to bring grim consequences for one who attempts it.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:41 am
by SunlessNick
"Presumably we can conclude that at least some of those accused were attempting such a ritual," says William. "But how does it connect to the other matters we have witnessed?"

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There would appear to be no obvious answer to this inquiry. The adventurers having spent some time in their investigations, they retire to a well-earned rest.

After an unremarkable morning, Lady Highdark asks Captain Palliser if he would care to accompany her on an early afternoon ride. (She has obviously fully recovered from her injury.)

Lord Highdark has no objection if the two wish to go off together unchaperoned, as he is a gentleman of advanced ideas. He can not, however, resist adding a humorous remark.

"All of the females in this family are mad for soldiers."

Overhearing this jest, both Harold and Henry react with ill-hidden annoyance. After a moment of glaring at each other without speaking, they leave the room, heading in different directions.

In a moment, Miss Rye arrives with a bit of news.

"I am most sorry to report, my Lord and Lady, that Miss Julia and Miss Juno have run off."

From the calm reaction of their parents, it is obvious that this is neither surprising nor disturbing. Lord Highdark addresses Georgina.

"Go fetch the little rapscallions, will you, dear?"

"Yes, Papa," is the meek reply.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:02 am
by Rooter
"Allow moi to accompany you in this task, mademoiselle," Vincent says, bowing to Georgina. "I imagine these two children are a, how do you say, handful. And i am not a soldier, ha ha."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:10 pm
by SunlessNick
William could not refuse Lady Hightdark without looking suspicious, so he will accompany her as she wishes (but will make sure his pistol is loaded.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"A double handful," says Henry. "I can help too. I'm also curious where the girls have gone and what they're up to."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:11 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After fetching steeds from the stables, William and Lady Highdark make their way east of the manor house, past vegetable gardens, herds of cattle, flocks of sheep, and such products of the earth. A narrow path turns southward, leading to the Altumber cemetery.

Cenotaphs and monuments, many streaked with moss and fungi and other markers of the ravages of time, cover a grassy field. A brisk wind brings an unexpected chill. After regarding this melancholy prospect for a while, Lady Highdark addresses her companion.

"I take it that you have often sent men to their graves, sir. Does it not produce within you an extraordinary appreciation for our brief time in this mortal realm?"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Discovering which way the mischievous twins have gone is a difficult business at best.
Spoiler:
Tracking = WIS -10 for those not trained in the skill. Georgina = 9, so she can't succeed; Henry and Vincent = 11 so they have a small chance.[dice]0[/dice]
It is not surprising, then, that the hunt for them will not prove an easy one.

"Where, oh where have they got this time?" Georgina remarks. "Perhaps we should make our way to the Observatory, from where we may be able to see them."

The guests will be aware, by now, that the Observatory, the highest point on the estate, lies to the extreme northeast of the manor house. The path to it follows the same as that taken by William and Lady Highdark not long before, but turns to the north rather than the south.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:17 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I take it that you have often sent men to their graves, sir. Does it not produce within you an extraordinary appreciation for our brief time in this mortal realm?"
"Indeed it does, Lady Highdark," says William. "Life is never richer than when under the shadow of death. One may even see it in the way the plants cling to the monuments around us."

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Capital idea," says Henry. "I feel right at home in an observatory."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:54 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the party makes their way to the Observatory, they are able to see William and Lady Highdark engaged in conversation, although their words are lost to the wind. It can be seen that Lady Highdark withdraws a wooden case from her saddlebag.

William:
Spoiler:
"We are of kindred natures, I perceive. Perhaps, then, you would care to game for the ultimate stakes?"

Lady Highdark opens the case. It contains two pistols.

"One of these is filled with powder and a bullet, the other is not. I propose that you select one, and that we fire upon each other from a moderate distance. I assure you that there is no sensation to compare with the thrill of the close embrace of death."
The Observatory is a building of modest dimensions, set upon a rise which provides a striking view of its surroundings. Nearby, to the south, stands the enormous trunk of an ancient, mighty tree said to have been blasted by lightning more than a century ago. A little further away, to the west, are a series of caves, whose extent has not yet been explored. A small telescope allows a view, some distance to the west, beyond a copse of ashes and oaks, to the Misty Tarn and the islet within it. There seems to be some kind of movement on that small island, although the telescope offers only a blurred view of it.

"Perhaps they have gone into the caves," Georgina says, with a slight shiver. "I would not enter them myself, but my sisters are fearless."

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
"We are of kindred natures, I perceive. Perhaps, then, you would care to game for the ultimate stakes?"

"One of these is filled with powder and a bullet, the other is not. I propose that you select one, and that we fire upon each other from a moderate distance. I assure you that there is no sensation to compare with the thrill of the close embrace of death."
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]One of us to take the life of the other? You must be a fortunate Lady indeed if you play this game with all your guests.[/color]" William will pick up both pistols, and point them at Lady Highdark, sighting along them. "[color=#800000]Which shall I choose, I wonder?[/color]" (He will weigh them in his hands as he holds them - though a quick look at google suggests the difference in weight between a pistol and ball is 340:1, so I don't think he could tell if one's loaded and the other not).

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about that little island?" asks Henry. "I saw movement there. It could be them, unless it's an animal or something."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:18 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It would seem likely that reaching the islet would be easier than blundering around in the dark labyrinth of the caves.

"There is a small boat and dock at the Misty Tarn," Georgina explains. "If one of you gentlemen would be so kind as to take command of the oars, and the other the tiller, we could reach the island quickly. I fear I have not the strength or the skill myself."

The walk to the dock is a pleasant one, albeit a bit windy. The little boat has seen much use, it appears, and care will be needed to avoid any mishaps in its use. Two men and one young woman would appear to be the limit it can carry safely.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:

VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]One of us to take the life of the other? You must be a fortunate Lady indeed if you play this game with all your guests.[/color]" William will pick up both pistols, and point them at Lady Highdark, sighting along them. "[color=#800000]Which shall I choose, I wonder?[/color]" (He will weigh them in his hands as he holds them - though a quick look at google suggests the difference in weight between a pistol and ball is 340:1, so I don't think he could tell if one's loaded and the other not).
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]0[/dice]

William's extensive experience with firearms allows him to tell which of the pistols is loaded. The next question to be answered is in what manner to address this challenge.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]217638:0[/dice]

William's extensive experience with firearms allows him to tell which of the pistols is loaded. The next question to be answered is in what manner to address this challenge.
VictoriaSilverwolf,William hands the unloaded pistol to Lady Highdark, and says "[color=#800000]Thirty paces, then?[/color]" Assuming she agrees (and assuming she doesn't have another loaded pistol about her person to shoot him with while they get into position - a risk he supposes he has to take), when it comes time to shoot, he will deliberately miss her.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:26 pm
by Rooter
"Zut alors," Vincent mutters, taking up the oars.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry takes his place at the tiller. "Ivan will have to remain behind," he says. "While he'd make an excellent oarsman, the boat is simply too small to support him."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]217638:0[/dice]

VictoriaSilverwolf,William hands the unloaded pistol to Lady Highdark, and says "[color=#800000]Thirty paces, then?[/color]" Assuming she agrees (and assuming she doesn't have another loaded pistol about her person to shoot him with while they get into position - a risk he supposes he has to take), when it comes time to shoot, he will deliberately miss her.
Spoiler:
Lady Highdark accepts the challenge. After counting off the paces, she turns and attempts to fire. Of course, there is no effect.

With eyes closed, she awaits the report of the loaded pistol, shivering with emotion as it goes off. After taking several deep breaths, she says "I believe you have missed, sir. Let us return, before inquiry is made as to the sound of the shot." During the ride back to the manor home it is evident that she is in a state of mind best described as ecstatic rapture, such as is reputed to have been the experience of certain saints.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Vincent STR = 9[dice]0[/dice]
A strong current, where no one could expect one to be found, acts to prevent the Frenchman from propelling the boat forward, despite his best efforts. It will require all the skill that Doctor North can muster to steer the vessel in the proper direction, despite the opposing force.
Spoiler:
DEX = 10[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately, this proves impossible, due to the stubborn opposition of the current.

"How strange," Georgina remarks. "The waters of the Misty Tarn are always quite still, save during exceptionally windy weather. Today there is scarcely a whisper of breeze to be felt. It is almost as if--"

Her speculation is cut off by a gasp, as she points towards the little island, upon which may be seen what appear to be several pillars of mist surrounding a very large tree. The day being warm and dry, this is a most unusual phenomenon.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 am
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
Let us return, before inquiry is made as to the sound of the shot." During the ride back to the manor home it is evident that she is in a state of mind best described as ecstatic rapture, such as is reputed to have been the experience of certain saints.
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]Need we return so soon, Lady Highdark?[/color]" asks William. "[color=#800000]I held your life in my hands just now, and it would be a fine thing to feel the pulse of that life a little longer.[/color]"

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am
by Rooter
"Sacre bleu!" Vincent says. "This is not natural. But I also know of unnatural mists, non?" He murmurs the words of an incantation to create an Obscuring Mist around their boat then takes up the oars again to attempt approach from a different direction under cover.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "It defies the laws of physics."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Obscuring Mist seems to calm the waters, allowing the adventurers to approach the island silently and unseen. Upon landing, the air is surprisingly cold. Georgina shivers in her light day gown. The pillars of mist move slowly in a circle around the large tree, maintaining a regular distance from each other.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
Let us return, before inquiry is made as to the sound of the shot." During the ride back to the manor home it is evident that she is in a state of mind best described as ecstatic rapture, such as is reputed to have been the experience of certain saints.
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]Need we return so soon, Lady Highdark?[/color]" asks William. "[color=#800000]I held your life in my hands just now, and it would be a fine thing to feel the pulse of that life a little longer.[/color]"
Spoiler:
"Indeed, sir? And what, pray tell, further amusement did you have in mind?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we approach for a closer look?" suggests Henry, his voice low as if the mist might overhear him.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 am
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]Why that of life itself, Lady Highdark,[/color]" says William. "[color=#800000]As we agreed, life it at its richest when confronted with death. We confronted one another, we quickened one another's hearts and fired one another's blood. Surely it would be well to rejoice in the life we have so mutually ennobled?[/color]" [ooc]I've bumped William's perversity up to 14 for this.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:04 am
by Rooter
"I don't like this strange cold. It can be a sign of evil. We must make sure les enfants are safe. Mademoiselle, stay close to me." Vincent murmurs an incantation to Detect Evil.
Spoiler:
2 HP remaining.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]Why that of life itself, Lady Highdark,[/color]" says William. "[color=#800000]As we agreed, life it at its richest when confronted with death. We confronted one another, we quickened one another's hearts and fired one another's blood. Surely it would be well to rejoice in the life we have so mutually ennobled?[/color]" [ooc]I've bumped William's perversity up to 14 for this.[/ooc]
Spoiler:
"You intrigue me, sir. Shall we retire to my chambers?"

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:"I don't like this strange cold. It can be a sign of evil. We must make sure les enfants are safe. Mademoiselle, stay close to me." Vincent murmurs an incantation to Detect Evil.
Spoiler:
2 HP remaining.
The spell reveals that the misty figures are indeed a source of malign intent.

The adventurers are able to hear childish laughter coming from the isle, its source hidden by the mist.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could be the girls," says Henry. "Or it could be something else trying to make us think it's them."

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:35 am
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]A splendid idea,Lady Highdark,[/color]" agrees William.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:06 am
by Rooter
"Perhaps a little persuasion to reveal its secrets is in order, non?" With a brief incantation Vincent creates a flame above his hand and takes a tentative step toward the tree, holding the flame aloft. "Children?" he calls.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The flame causes the misty figures to move slightly apart, offering a better view of the tree. It can be seen that the twins are dancing about it, as if engaged in a game of Queen-of-the-May, but are strangely quiet, given their loquacious nature. They catch sight of the adventurers, cease their dance, and address them.

"Oh, there --

"you are, Georgina. And --

"these gentlemen are --

"welcome as --

"Well. Come play --

"with us forever --

"and ever."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]A splendid idea,Lady Highdark,[/color]" agrees William.
Some time later, Lady Highdark and William are seen within Highdark Hall, in a flushed but pleased condition, as if they have been engaged in vigorous exercise.

"Did you have a pleasant ride?" inquires Lord Highdark.

"Indeed, my dear," Lady Highdark replies.

"Good, good. I say, Georgina has still not returned with my two little poppets. I trust no harm has come to them."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm afraid we haven't that long, young ladies," says Henry. "Your father requires your presence."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:08 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Good, good. I say, Georgina has still not returned with my two little poppets. I trust no harm has come to them."
"That is troubling," says William, the practical side of his nature reasserting itself. "Do you know in which direction the search party was last seen?"

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I'm afraid we haven't that long, young ladies," says Henry. "Your father requires your presence."
They make no response, but merely giggle.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Good, good. I say, Georgina has still not returned with my two little poppets. I trust no harm has come to them."
"That is troubling," says William, the practical side of his nature reasserting itself. "Do you know in which direction the search party was last seen?"
"I believe they were heading in the general direction of the Observatory," Lord Highdark remarks.

"Yes, I caught sight of them from a distance while you and I were . . . riding, sir," Lady Highdark says.

This is sufficient to set William on the right path, at least at first.
Spoiler:
will be generous and assume his tracking skill is 13, as before[dice]0[/dice]
He does not catch sight of them, however, and makes his way all the way to the Observatory. From this elevation he is able to detect some sort of activity happening at the small island in the Misty Tarn, but it is unclear what it might be.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"You must return," says Henry, recalling what Miss Rye had said to get them to obey before, "or Poppy will be displeased."

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm
by SunlessNick
William will head in the direction of the Tarn, it being unclear what other lead he might follow.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"You must return," says Henry, recalling what Miss Rye had said to get them to obey before, "or Poppy will be displeased."
This evidently has the desired effect upon the two, as they begin to approach. However, before they are within arm's reach, the mists gather about them, so that they are obscured from view. This does not prevent their voices from being heard.

"We are trying, but --

"our friends do--

"not wish us--

"to leave."

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William will head in the direction of the Tarn, it being unclear what other lead he might follow.
In a short time he is able to observe the others upon the small isle, although it is not entirely clear what is happening. It is also not clear how one is to approach them, if so desired, given the fact that the only boat available docked upon the island as well. To what depth the waters of the Misty Tarn might reach is not obvious.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am
by Rooter
Vincent reaches his hand and the flame out to where the children were, speaking an incantation to Beguile whatever evil force is compelling them into obeying his will against theirs. "Let the children go, evil spirits."

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 pm
by SunlessNick
Lord Dunwich had to leave Ivan behind, so William approaches him. "How long have they been on the island?"

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Perhaps a quarter of an hour," the loyal Russian informs him.

The misty beings, if such they be, seem convinced by Vincent's words and manner that he is not one to be toyed with. They withdraw from the twins, moving together so as to form a sort of cloud-like barrier around the tree. The children join their rescuers, chattering away as if nothing untoward has occurred.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done!" says Henry, leading the way back to the boat.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 am
by Rooter
Vincent ushers Georgina and the children along after. "Mademoiselle, is there some special meaning of this tree you know?"

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Only that it is very old indeed. I have never cared for this place myself."

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm
by Rooter
Once back at the boat, Vincent assists Georgina and the children aboard before picking up the oars again. He eyes the children sternly. "You two have some explaining to do, non?"

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry takes his place at the tiller once more, wanting to be away from the island as soon as possible.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:24 pm
by SunlessNick
"If what I just saw is any indication, you have pinpointed the source of the problem," observes William drily upon their return. "I trust you and your sisters are unhurt," he adds to Georgina.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Why, whatever do--

"you mean, monsieur. We--

"were just playing."

It seems that no harm has come to anyone, although Georgina is clearly in a state of anxiety.

On the way back to the manor home, the party runs into Harold and Henry just outside, engaged in a heated exchange of words, not yet audible to the witnesses. Harold directs a blow of his cane at the foundling, who dodges it, then extends a hand in a threatening manner, yet not touching his opponent, and chants something in a language which does not seem to be English, judging from its cadences.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry listens to the chant, hoping it is in one of the several languages he knows.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 16 + 3 Gift for languages = 19[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North is able to recognize the language as Romany, as well as its general meaning, that it is meant to invoke harm to the listener.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's a gypsy curse," Henry whispers to his companions. He had picked up the language from Ines during their travels in the last century.

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 pm
by SunlessNick
"What is the meaning of this?" demands William, his gaze taking in both boys, but fixing harder on Henry. "Standing here fighting while your sisters were missing? You demean both them and yourselves with this display!"

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Both young men face William, their evident animosity towards one another seemingly forgotten for the moment.

"This is none of your affair," Harold remarks coldly. "I must also point out that you have spent entirely too much time in the company of Georgina. She is a simple child, far too likely to be swayed by romantic fancies. If I may speak bluntly, I fear that your intentions are not yet proven entirely honorable."

"Georgina--" Henry begins.

"You will not address my sister in that familiar manner," Harold insists.

"Georgina," Henry continues, disregarding this command, "is a woman grown, able to speak for herself." Addressing her, he goes on. "Tell him that this posturing toy soldier means nothing to you. I have been patient with the playful dalliance between you two, but no longer. You must declare that you are mine and mine alone, before man and God."

Before the young woman, in evident distress, can make any answer, Harold lashes out with his cane, striking a glancing blow at the foundling.

"Never!"

Driven off by this attack, Henry rushes away, spitting out a final few words in the Gypsy tongue.

The twins, apparently finding this all very amusing, giggle and whisper together.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 pm
by Rooter
"Mon dieu," Vincent mutters, heading to the house to rest after his exertions on the island.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm
by SunlessNick
"If you care about honour, perhaps you should thank these gentlemen for finding your other sisters," says William to Harold, in a calm tone.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Harold seems ready to speak, but suddenly clutches his throat and collapses to the ground in a dead faint. Georgina rushes to him. He recovers his senses in a moment and sits up, apparently none the worse. This proves to be illusory, however, when he speaks.

"Where am I?" His voice is weak. "Who are you people?" He rises, and is taken somewhat aback when a weeping Georgina embraces him.

"Please calm yourself, Miss," he says. "Whatsoever your distress may be, such intimacy with a stranger is unseemly."

"Harold has gone--

"away. We shall now--

"play Hide and Go--

"Seek," the twins say.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 am
by SunlessNick
"Monsieur, we may need you!" calls William after the departing Vincent. He crouches down beside Harold, his stern manner gone in an instant; "It is all right, lad, this lady is your sister. Do you truly not recognise her? Whatever has befallen you, you are at your home, and you will be made safe." He looks back at Lord Dunwich, "Could this be the foundling boy's doing?"

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 pm
by jp1885
With everyone focussed on Harold, they can be forgiven for failing to notice something else amiss just outside the house. A gardener has clearly been negligent, for piled up against a fine tree is what appears to be a pile of trash. To be more accurate, a bundle of rags, bits of stick, string and a few pieces of glass, glinting in the sunlight. Set atop this pile is an old-fashioned, and very battered, tricorne hat.

While the adventurers attend the confused lad, they might not see the midden rising up...

...into the shape of a man...

He shambles towards the gathering slowly and quietly, so that the first thing that alerts them to his presence is an awful miasma of unwashed clothes, pipe tobacco and body odour.

"Hehe, Lepus has been watching so he has," he addresses to the world in general; his tittering accent strange. "They said I should come and so here I am."

He points a bony finger at Harold.

"T'is a Gypsy curse that addles the boy! But can Lepus help? Pssst! Why, isn't Lepus a Gypsy too? Oh yes oh yes, help he can!" He capers a little, before bowing down low. "For a little food and lodgings if you please - a tiny price for such a fine lad hmmm?"

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please proceed to Book the Second, Chapter the Second.