Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by SunlessNick »

"Why would such a thing be here?" wonders Ines. "If this the language of the Jews, must a Jew have made this 'golem?'" sounding out the last word carefully. She looks around, as if half expecting to see someone. "My father had litte good to say about them, but my mother reminded most people have little good to say about the Gitani either." (Dr North may discern that Ines is somewhat nervous of this find, and trying to fill the silence of the empty landscape).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"In all likelihood a Jew crafted it," says Henry, "though I suppose it's possible to learn the technique. I admit to some curiosity as to how it's done. This looks like it is merely the head of the Golem. I wonder what has happened to the body...of course! Crayle must intend to affix the Brazen Head to it!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"If that is his purpose, we have probably learned as much as we can here," says Ines. "We should return to the house - with Mrs Piper's recover, he may not mean to wait any longer."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The bold adventurers return to the Piper estate without further incident.

Meanwhile, Mrs Piper has recovered sufficiently to inform Miss Davenport, now that they have a chance to be alone, that she wishes the Brazen Head to pass into her possession upon her demise, that it might not fall into hands that would use it for sinister purposes.

"Despite its annoying habit of concealing as much information as it reveals," she explains, "it has proved invaluable to me as a means of keeping myself aware of many things relating to the unnatural. Thus I have battled as best I might against such forces of darkness as that which left me a widow. I feel that I can trust you to avoid the temptation of using it in a selfish manner."

Some time after the others return, Mister Crayle appears, just as the sun is setting. As before, he seems fatigued and out of sorts, but insists that only a good night's rest is required to restore him to a full state of health.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's disturbing that your symptoms seem to be returning, Mister Crayle," says Henry. "Perhaps I should examine you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"As you like, my lord, although I suspect that sleep, that great healer of ills, shall prove the best physician."

A thorough examination yields no sign of disease, save for indications of severe fatigue, as if Mister Crayle has labored intensely for many days, or been deprived of slumber for an equal period of time.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I believe you are correct," says Henry. "Sleep is the best treatment for your symptoms of exhaustion, but that still leaves the underlying cause. Just what have you been doing that has left you so exhausted?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will have brought the golem head back with her, but will not let Mr Crayle see it.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It will be noted that, given the very great weight of the hardened clay object -- much more so than one would expect -- the mighty strength of Ivan is required to lift it. Finding a proper hiding place for it will require some careful thought.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

In response to Doctor North's inquiry, Mister Crayle makes answer in this manner:

"I expect it is simply the necessity of riding hither and yon on dull errands of business which are necessary for the proper management of Mrs Piper's estate, but which offer little profit and less pleasure. I bid you good night."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:It will be noted that, given the very great weight of the hardened clay object -- much more so than one would expect -- the mighty strength of Ivan is required to lift it. Finding a proper hiding place for it will require some careful thought.

"If the body is similarly heavy, moving must be very troublesome," says Ines. (The only way she can think of for Mr Crayle to do would be to drag it with his horse. When he has retired, she will venture to the stable to take a look at the horse he rode off on, and attempt to use her skill in Animal Husbandry to discern how haxing have been its exertions of the day).

Also, one Mr Crayle is out of the way, it may be worthwhile for Miss Davenport, and perhaps Mrs Piper if she is sufficiently well, to look at the golem head themselves - their occult knowledge may discern something Dr North's training in natural philosophy would miss.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I bid you good night as well, Mister Crayle," says Henry. After he is out of earshot, he talks with the others. "Yes, you must be right. It cannot walk on its own, not unless it's activated, and it probably wouldn't be obedient to him if it were. But why not take the Brazen Head to the body rather than the other way around? Perhaps we could hide the golem's head in the secret chamber housing the Brazen Head, behind the pedestal on which it sits? We could cover it with a cloth or something. Though if he goes in there to ask the Brazen Head a question or to steal it, he may see it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Inspection of Mister Crayle's horse shows no sign that it has undertaken any particularly arduous task. If anything, it seems to have been used only for a short journey.

It is impossible to place the large clay object within the hidden alcove without drawing a great deal of attention from Mrs Piper, who evinces a great interest in it.

"Apparently someone has attempted to create a golem, as you surmised," she explains. "Whether or not this effort was successful, and what might have become of the rest of its body, I am unable to say. I can tell you that such a being can only be brought to life by a person of the Hebrew religion, preferably a rabbi. Mere ritual is not enough, without the power of faith."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah," says Henry, a bit regretful that he cannot learn the process himself. "What if someone were to place the Brazen Head on the body of the golem in its place?" asks Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mrs Piper allows herself a shrug. "I cannot say what the results of such a bizarre experiment might be. I suspect that nothing good would come of it."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"Mr. Crayle is as yet unaware of the Brazen Head's location," Lila says. "Though he has inquired in what seemed an innocuous manner on several occasions. And this evidence of his horse indeed raises some doubts as to the truth of his statements. I wonder what his faith, if any, is? He hasn't mentioned and I don't imagine there is a large Hebrew contingent nearby. Perhaps we could draw him into discussion on the topic, or invite him to the chapel and mark his reaction."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Discreet inquiry elicits the information from more than one of the servants that Mister Crayle has often been observed to spend Sundays in silent meditation. This, and the manner of his dress, suggests that he is a Nonconformist, possibly a member of the Society of Friends.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If he is indeed a Quaker," says Henry to the others, "he should be opposed to the use of violence, and that would include poisoning. It is of course possible that he is not. If he does not know the Brazen Head's whereabouts, that may be the best place to hide the other head for now. Perhaps tomorrow if Mister Crayle leaves again, we can try again to follow his trail. Had you been with us, Miss Davenport, we might have been able to follow him better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A few days pass by quietly. Then, one fog-shrouded morning, Mister Crayle announces that his presence is once again required at another place in order to conduct some necessary business. He breaks his fast lightly with tea, bread, and marmalade, whilst the other guests enjoy a more substantial meal, with such choices as cold veal pie or kippers. His early departure allows for some time to go by before the adventurers follow his path, if they choose to do so.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"I shall follow although I am still hesitant to leave Mrs. Piper unguarded. What of this unknown woman with hair like fire? The Head's riddle about her being 'no lady' leads me to wonder if she was perhaps an illusion, a Glamour created by one with such an ability."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Could the Head itself create such an illusion?" wonders Ines. "I am willing to remain with Mrs Piper. Whatever Mr Crayle's activities, either you or Dr North would be better able to understand them. And you may need Ivan's protection if it is dangerous."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”