Page 1 of 1

Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search; Or, The Hunted and the Haunted

Ines makes her way to the local village, engaging in conversation with various folk to see if any might have information about Guillaume.
Spoiler:
CHA = 10. Special note: Due to the Asset of Beautiful, a roll of 11 to 13 inclusive will mean that she has attracted male attention only.[dice]0[/dice]
The inhabitants are quite friendly and talkative. More than one reports that a man resembling Guillaume (who is difficult to mistake, due to his great size) was seen purchasing provisions, as if for a long journey. After this, he seems to have simply disappeared. No one seems to have witnessed his departure.

Meanwhile . . .

Miss Davenport attempts to track the missing man, searching carefully through the surrounding countryside for clues.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12[dice]1[/dice]
There does not appear to be any trace of him. This is most peculiar, as the tracks of many other persons, on foot or on horseback, are clearly visible, but none matching either Guillaume's very large boots, nor hoof-prints of a depth which would suggest an animal carrying such a giant of a man has passed by.

Puzzled by this mystery, Isaac pauses to meditate upon the problem.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]2[/dice]
It appears he has an idea.

"I have seen things like this in the land of the Berbers," he says. "The prints of camels -- you are familiar with that strange beast of the desert? -- which vanish suddenly in undisturbed sand. Persons seen clearly at a distance who disappear from sight without explanation. Whatever it was that Guillaume found at the Chateau seems to have given him some sort of preternatural power. I fear that makes him very dangerous indeed."

Re: Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:15 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The inhabitants are quite friendly and talkative. More than one reports that a man resembling Guillaume (who is difficult to mistake, due to his great size) was seen purchasing provisions, as if for a long journey. After this, he seems to have simply disappeared. No one seems to have witnessed his departure.

After offering her thanks, Ines makes her way to wherever Guillaume made his purchases - whether that be a village shop or farmer's residence - to inquire further. She will purchase something herself (perhaps it would be well to confess that this is not simply to foster friendly relations, but to fortify her for what is presumably a strenusous walk through the mountainous terrain) and ask whether he said anything about where he might be bound.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 10, same special note as before. [dice]0[/dice]
After some inquiry, Ines is able to determine that Guillaume obtained his provisions from a local merchant -- in point of fact, the only local merchant in this small community -- who happens to be married to one of the same Gypsy blood. With this bond between them, the information is soon shared that the missing man, while in his cups, bragged about his intent to make a great fortune for himself in England. Seeing as the fellow had no means of transport save his own two good legs, and did not seem wealthy enough to afford either a horse or a coach to take him to the sea, and thence across the Bay of Biscay, this was not taken seriously.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am
by Rooter

"Curious, indeed," Lila murmurs.

Upon their return to the Chateau, she reports that Guillaume appears to have vanished from the locality through some preternatural means. She inquires of his family if, having been given the means to travel where he might, they can think of any particular place or goal which he might have expressed some prior interest in.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon questioning, Charlotte recalls that her elder brother often spoke of making his fortune in one of the French colonies in the West Indies. Undertaking such a venture would, of course, be a difficult and expensive task, one for which Guillaume was never prepared at any stage in his life.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines offers her thanks again, and begins the walk back to the Chateau to report her findings.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When the adventurers are all together, away from the members of the de Hautommes family and their servants, Isaac ventures an opinion.

"Based on the evidence I have seen, I suggest that Guillaume is in possession of an enchanted item which allows him to travel a great distance in an instant. I realize this seems fantastic, but I have seen things in the North African desert even more astonishing. If I am correct, my experience with such things allows me to speculate that he will not be able to make use of the item more than once per day, and that it will leave him in a state of exhaustion, requiring a full night's rest to recover. The distance he can transport himself in this manner does not exceed seven leagues. Obviously he cannot cross the vast expanse of the ocean this way. I suspect he will make his way to the port city of La Rochelle, which lies about ninety leagues from here, where he may attempt to obtain passage on a ship. This should take him something less than a fortnight. With a coach equipped with good horses and an experienced driver, you should be able to reach the same place at about the same time.

Everything I have said is merely speculative, of course. Make of it what you will."

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am
by Rooter

"If what you say is true then we must depart without delay in order to apprehend Guillaume. We know that he is bent upon acquiring wealth. Who knows what mischief he might cause with such an item in his possession."

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no apparent objection to this idea, the party obtains a good coach and driver. The journey to La Rochelle is an uneventful one, the weather mostly clement, the roads in fair condition, and the inns of acceptable quality.

La Rochelle is a busy port city, vital to trade with the New World. It is not quite so prosperous as it was before the Seven Years' War, when France lost so much territory in that distant part of the world. Still, there are ships coming and going, dealing in sugar from the West Indies, furs from what little remains of New France, and, to the dismay of many, slaves from Africa. The city is also famed for its fine faience, this tin-glazed earthenware often bearing Oriental themes.

Once the party has arrived, and made arrangements at one of the many inns, they face the problem of finding Guillaume among so many teeming thousands.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 pm
by SunlessNick

"Where are the places where one could secure passage?" asks Ines. "He is a... memorable man."

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is evident that the best place to seek information is at the docks, which are full of ships loading and unloading, arriving and departing, and sailing men from all over the world. As to the matter of whom to approach, and in what manner this should be done, that is up to the adventurers themselves.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm
by Rooter

"I suggest we begin by inquiring of the dock officials as to which ships are bound for England, and perhaps the West Indies, and thence inquire of those ships' masters if a man matching Guillaume's description has sought passage with them."

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There are numerous small packets and the like bound for England. After much tedious inquiry, the adventurers discover that a man fitting Guilliaume's description has arranged for passage upon one such, Le Petite Fille, in two days. Similar questioning of the larger ships yields the information that Le Sirene, currently being refitted, sails for Trinidad (a Spanish possession, but populated with many French colonists) in a month or so, and that Guilliaume had made inquiries about sailing with her. Evidently he seeks to obtain a sum of money in England by some means or other, then return to La Rochelle to pay his way aboard Le Sirene. His current whereabouts are not known to the sailors questioned.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm
by Rooter

"Well, do we attempt to locate his lodgings here? Or perhaps it would be easier to simply return to the La Petite Fille in two days' time in order to apprehend him."

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 pm
by SunlessNick

"Searching for his lodgings makes it no harder to return to the ship if we must," says Ines.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 am
by Rooter

"The question is how do we search? To trawl through every inn and lodging place in the town would seem impossible, especially if Guillaume does not wish to be found. I am inclined to spend the two days making arrangements for our own travel back to England unless there are any suggestions."

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There are many packets bound for England each day, now that the weather has turned mild. The party may wish to engage the services of any number of these, or, if they prefer, to board Le Petite Fille along with their intended target of inquiry.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 am
by Rooter

"If we were to book passage on Le Petite Fille for ourselves that would be a sure way to encounter Guillaume."

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we should certainly book passage for ourselves," says Henry, "but we should also search for him in the port in the time remaining before the ship sails. If we can find him before he leaves France, we may yet be able to convince him to return to his unit before it is too late. Once the ship leaves port with him, that will not be so easy. There are ways we can logically narrow down where Guillaume has lodged. We know he does not have much money, and he will have spent most of it on his passage to England. We should inquire in the cheaper inns first."

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The arrangements are made for passage to England in two days' time. Meanwhile, inquiry reveals that those seeking inexpensive lodging convenient to the harbor generally make their way to an establishment of questionable reputation known as Le Joyeux Marin, located within sight -- and smell! -- of the docks. Upon initial inspection, it reveals itself to be a noisy place at all hours of the day and night, with frequent fights involving fists and knives, obviously ignored by officers of the law. Women of fallen virtue, particularly those who have lost the first bloom of youth, are often seen about the place. Many a sailor has lost his meager fortune or his freedom here, and just as many are those marked with scars or the loss of an eye or a limb. It remains to be decided who shall investigate the place and in what manner.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 am
by Rooter

"Not I," Lila declares.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 am
by SunlessNick

"I have been in such places before," says Ines. "And I doubt Guillaume paid much heed to me at the Chateau."

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would stick out too much in a place like that," says Henry. "I'd probably also be robbed blind within minutes of setting foot there. It is likely to be dangerous. Would you like for Ivan to be there too? I doubt Guillaume took notice of him either. He can wear the anonymous clothing we picked up in Paris, and he can pretend to arrive separately. If there's any trouble, he'll be able to help you."

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As Ines enters Le Joyeux Marin, she attracts much attention from within. Grins and leers from sailors; curiosity and disdain from their female companions. Having the wisdom to arrive during the daytime, when the patrons are not yet entirely under the influence of spirits, she finds the place reasonably calm, with only a few loud arguments going on. A stout man wearing a dirty apron approaches. With her recently acquired knowledge of gutter French, Ines is able to follow his muttered conversation.

-- You buying? Or selling? --

This remark brings a few chuckles from some of the sailors. Meanwhile, Ivan arrives, drawing notice for his size and obvious strength. Many of the sailors take care to avoid looking directly at him. The man in the apron addresses him.

-- Food, drink, or something else? --
Spoiler:
Mr Handy may role-play the part of Ivan whilst his master is not present.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines will go to the counter and purchase a cheap pastry and wine. If it's another girl behind the counter, she will say as she paying, "I wonder if that giant man is looking to buy some company."

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy
"Food," grunts Ivan in broken French. "Maybe the drink and something else later." He is a big man with a big appetite, and he can eat for quite some time while Ines does what she needs to do. He keeps an eye on her, masking it as attraction. He isn't the only man watching her, to be sure. He also keeps aware of their surroundings.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
1 = man behind the counter, 2 = woman[dice]0[/dice]
The woman whom Ines approaches is a slatternly sort of middle years. She wears a large amount of cheap jewelry and clothing more notable for its colorful designs than its quality.

-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --

With that, she moves her head in the direction of a table where three burly men are engaged in a game of dice.

-- They aren't friendly to folks who don't follow the house rules. --

Meanwhile, an older sailor, much in his cups, rises unsteadily from his table and half-walks, half-stumbles over to Ivan.

-- Big fellow, aren't you? Want to arm wrestle? Loser pays for the next drink. What do you say, friend? --

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan sizes the sailor up, grinning. "You're on, friend," he said. He doesn't think the old man will pose much of a challenge, but he'll try not to hurt him when he wins. He rests his elbow on the table, his hand open to clasp his opponent's.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --

Ines gives the woman a conspiratorial look and asks, "Any men set to travel soon then? A few good memories for when he's stuck among the sailors could be good takings for us both." At the same time, she keeps an eye on the room, in case the search should prove as simple as Guillaume appearing in search of his own food and drink.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Ivan sizes the sailor up, grinning. "You're on, friend," he said. He doesn't think the old man will pose much of a challenge, but he'll try not to hurt him when he wins. He rests his elbow on the table, his hand open to clasp his opponent's.
Spoiler:
STR=16[dice]0[/dice]
Ivan wins easily, although the old sailor is stronger than he looks. With a salute he tosses a coin, with remarkable skill, to the woman behind the bar.

-- Brandy for the big man! --

After these words are spoken he droops in his chair and falls asleep, snoring loudly. The woman, after biting the coin with what few teeth she has left to test its authenticity, brings Ivan a large tin cup full of a deep red liquid.

This incident has drawn the attention of the three men previously pointed out by the woman, who whisper among themselves.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- Any arrangements made in this place, I get half the takings, understand? For your protection, if you see what I mean. --
Ines gives the woman a conspiratorial look and asks, "Any men set to travel soon then? A few good memories for when he's stuck among the sailors could be good takings for us both." At the same time, she keeps an eye on the room, in case the search should prove as simple as Guillaume appearing in search of his own food and drink.
Spoiler:
More a matter of luck than anything else . . .WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
There is no sign of Guillaume as of yet. The proprietress (for such she would appear to be) suggests that Ines head up the rickety stairs next to the bar. There are a few small rooms upstairs, where those who have partaken overmuch of the fruit of the vine may, as they say, sleep it off. The rooms are also used for other purposes, of course.

-- First room on the left. -- the woman says. -- He's got money, and an eye for women, if I'm any judge. --

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"Merci," says Ivan. He raises his cup in salute to the sleeping sailor before quaffing it, savoring the taste.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:"Merci," says Ivan. He raises his cup in salute to the sleeping sailor before quaffing it, savoring the taste.
Spoiler:
CON=11[dice]0[/dice]
Ivan notices that the brandy makes him feel very sleepy, but he is able to force himself to stay alert.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:-- First room on the left. -- the woman says. -- He's got money, and an eye for women, if I'm any judge. --

Ines finshes her pastry and wine, then heads up the stairs to the door the proprietress indicated. Rather than go in, she puts her eye to the keyhole, trying to get a glimpse of the man within.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 pm
by Mr. Handy
Ivan finishes his meal and heads upstairs, not wanting to be too far from Ines in case she needs help. He allows his drowsiness to show through, and it shouldn't come as any surprise to whoever drugged his drink that he is going upstairs, apparently to sleep it off.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
To peer through the keyhole without drawing the attention of whoever might be inside: DEX = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Whilst bending low to peer through the keyhole, the many beads, bracelets, and other cheap baubles which Ines wears produce enough noise to draw the attention of the man within. He opens the door wide and examines her closely.

He is a tall, slender man of middle years, dressed in sailor's clothing, but of a higher quality than one would expect from his current lodgings. He wears a black patch, which appears to be made of fine silk, over one eye. Others signs of a life not entirely safe from hazards are the many small, faded scars upon his face and hands. Without these, he would be reasonably good-looking, with a ruddy complexion and dark, golden hair which he wears in long curls that fall over his shoulders.

--Ah! -- he says. -- About time the sea-witch who runs this purgatory sent up a pretty one. Come in, come in! They call me Captain Jacques, and you'll find that I can be a generous friend. --

He casts a single glance at Ivan, but otherwise shows no particular interest in the Russian.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 pm
by SunlessNick

A little unsure she knows what she's doing Ines goes into the room, but before this Captain Jacques can do more than close the door, says, "I like generosity, Captain, but perhaps you would prefer a chance to make money rather than spend it."

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This remark definitely raises the fellow's interest.

-- Indeed? Tell me more, my dear. --

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan checks to see if one of the rooms on either side of the one which Ines entered is vacant.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
A matter of luck, I'd say. WIS = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Both rooms appear to be currently occupied. From the one further on the left (the last room in that direction), can be heard loud snoring. From the one on the right, the laughter and murmured conversation of a woman and a man emerges. There is one more room beyond that one, making a total of four rooms in all. Ivan is not yet close enough to the last room to determine if it is empty or not.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan approaches the last room just to check if it is empty, but he does not want to stray too far from Ines.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Luck again . . .WIS = 9[dice]0[/dice]
From this last room a loud argument can be heard, even from a moderate distance. Apparently there is a disagreement of some kind among several players of a card game.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan returns to the section of hall outside the room Ines entered and lies on the floor, feigning sleep. With all of the rooms full, he doesn't think this should be suspicious. He remains alert and attentive, however, listening to what is going on beyond the door and gripping his sword cane tightly, ready to spring to his feet and use it if needed.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 am
by SunlessNick

"I have some friends who are seeking a man," says Ines. "A man who is set to sail in two days. They wish to find him before he leaves, and you seem one who may know where such men might be found."

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Jacques considers this.

-- There are many such men about; and as of yet I have not seen this money or which you speak. --

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 am
by SunlessNick

"The money waits with my friends," says Ines, "while the man is memorable indeed. A giant in height." She adds a few other details of Guillaume's appearance, along with his evident temper.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- Ah! That one! He spends most of the day and night sleeping in his room What do you wish with that lazy giant? --

Meanwhile . . .

The three sailors seated together in the room below head up the stairs together. They study Ivan for a moment.

-- Asleep at last. Let us take him aboard before he wakes. --

-- He is a big one! You take his arms, Pierre and I will take his legs. --

With that they approach the Russian, intent on seizing him.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan springs to his feet suddenly, standing to his full height and brandishing his cane, ready to draw the blade if the sailors are not sufficiently intimidated by his presence. "Think again," he says, glaring at them. "Turn around and walk away while you can."

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Taken aback by this unexpected resurrection, the three fellows back away until they are in front of the farthest room, from whence the argument was heard. One of them knocks on the door. When it is opened, rapid conversation ensues. The gist of this is that help is needed. Three more men emerge from the room. All six are armed with small knives.

At this point the stairway lies between Ivan and the men. Given courage by their numbers, yet not ready to attack, they stand their ground.

-- I believe it is you who should leave -- states the closest man, perhaps the boldest. -- Such trickery as you have shown is not welcome here! Or perhaps you wish to join our little crew voluntarily? -- he concludes with a snarl.

All of this commotion is loud enough to be heard by Ines.

-- Do not worry, -- Jacques says. -- My men are just welcoming a new recruit. Such are often reluctant until they have been convinced to sail with us. --

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines cannot tell how many men Ivan is facing, but it is obviously a lot - despite her mission here, she cannot allow the loyal Russian to face them alone. She launches a sudden attack at the Captain, trying to knock him down.
OOC:   Dexterity 10, + 1 Boxing (can attack twice)

SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 5
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 20

SunlessNick rolled 1D6: 2  
The Gypsy's first attack strikes a mild blow, but the Captain is too well versed in brawling and is easily able to evade her second.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
"I cannot join your crew," says Ivan. "I already have a Master. Powerful Master, rich Master. He gave me this." He unsheathes his sword from the cane, displaying it as both a symbol of his master's wealth and a deadly weapon. "I am here about my Master's business. I leave when it's done, not before. You stay out of the way, you won't be harmed. If you want my services, you must make deal with Master."

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Jacques is taken aback by the unexpected attack by the bold Gypsy. He rubs his jaw where her first attack left a glancing blow.

-- Say what they will about me, I've never harmed a woman yet. --

He pulls the door open and shouts at the men.

-- Avast, you sons of bachelors! This one and his doxy are not worth the trouble. Go back to your skylarking. --

With a few muttered curses, but evident relief, none of them willing to fight an unprofitable battle, the men retreat, one trio back to their game and the other back downstairs.

Jacques firmly pushes Ines out of his room, then addresses Ivan.

-- Truce for now, but no more tricks! My lads may be stupid, but they'll keep their eyes on the pair of you. --

With that he slams the door shut.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:33 am
by SunlessNick

Ines makes sure Ivan is well and unhurt, then says that the captain told her Guillaume is asleep in one of the rooms up here.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Ivan nods and points at the door to the room on the left, from behind which he had heard snoring. "In there," he says.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:12 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC:   How big is Guillaume compared to Ivan?  

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
OOC:   How big is Guillaume compared to Ivan?  
Spoiler:
About the same.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:07 am
by SunlessNick

"I do not think we can take him without more trouble than we can handle," says Ines to Ivan. "But we have at least confirmation that he is here. Perhaps we should return to Dr North and Miss Davenport. Guillame must leave some time, and that captain did not seem to like him much - I do not think he will care to warn him about us."

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Ivan nods. "Master will know what to do," he says.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the pair leave the unsavory environs of the tavern, they notice three of the men that Ivan had encountered dragging another man, obviously unconscious, to a ship elsewhere in the harbor. They emerge from the ship's hold after a while, without the other man.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's what they wanted to do with me," says Ivan. "They put something in my drink to put me to sleep, but I fooled them."

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 am
by SunlessNick

"They weren't ready for your strength," says Ines. "Still, I am sorry to have put you at risk."

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Ivan shrugs his mighty shoulders. "Everything is risk," he says philosophically, with more wisdom than one might think he possessed. "I just glad you not hurt. My job to protect you, and I do it good."

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:14 am
by Rooter

As the party regroup to discuss their plans, Lila listens to Ines' and Ivan's account of their inquiries at the dockside establishment. "Very good. How shall we go about apprehending the fellow now that we know his exact whereabouts? Could he be physically restrained while in possession of an arcane object which permits him to travel at will? I do not suppose he would easily give up such an object without strong persuasion on our part."

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 am
by SunlessNick

"I suppose that would hinge on how he must make use of it," says Ines. "Ivan and I may be able to pinpoint the window of his room from the outside, though there is no promise of it being possible to make a quiet entry."

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"We know that he can only use the item once per day," says Henry, "and that its use exhausts the user. That must be why he was sound asleep, as Ivan reported. He should stay that way for now, but we will need to identify the object and remove it from him. Before we set out, we can ask the other family members what it could be. I've heard tales of seven league boots before, though I've never previously lent them credence."

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 pm
by SunlessNick

"He should at least be relieved of any magic he has, but what are we to do with him then?" asks Ines. "He seems a worthless man at heart, but other than his desertion from the army, has he yet committed any crime for which he should face punishment? He is no Roterstein or DuPray.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is true," says Henry. "It is my hope we can convince him to return to his unit and do his duty. If he does so quickly enough, he will face punishment for being absent without leave - most likely flogging, but a big man like him can endure it. However, if he flees France, he will be a deserter, and deserters are hanged if caught. Since that is not enough of an incentive, perhaps I can offer him a financial incentive, enough funds to get to the West Indies in style, after his tour of duty is completed and he is discharged."

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This discussion amongst the adventurers occupies some amount of time, not to mention the hazardous events which proceeded it. By this time the sun is low on the horizon, painting the Bay of Biscay crimson. Doctor North's desire to obtain more information from Guilliaume's family is understandable, but alas! They are many leagues away.

Le Petite Fille is due to set sail for Plymouth the next day, with a brief stop to trade at Brest, at four bells in the morning watch. The party may retreat for the evening, no doubt to less dangerous lodgings, that they may arise freshly prepared for the early morning departure of the packet, or they may make plans to attempt to reach Guilliaume during the night. (It is a simple matter to determine the room in which he slumbers. It is not so easy to decide how one might reach it from outside.)

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we wait until morning to approach him?" asks Henry. "He'll be able to use the object again to escape, but he's unlikely to do so. He would miss his ship."

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am
by Rooter

"It may be best as you say, doctor," Lila concurs.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being general agreement that discretion is the better part of valor, the adventurers quickly locate more appropriate lodgings. The night passes uneventfully.

Very early in the morning -- indeed, the chariot of Helios has not yet appeared in the east -- there is a loud knocking on the doors of the rooms wherein the ladies and gentlemen have sought rest. After what may include muttered requests for patience and scurrying for proper clothing from the various members of the party (the knocking continuing whether it be ignored or those without denied entrance), they will discover officers of the law awaiting their attention. The two rooms being near to each other, the conversations which follow are heard by all (and, perhaps, by unseen eavesdroppers, the policemen not being soft-spoken fellows.) For all intents and purposes, the words addressed to the persons in whom the officers are interested -- it being quickly disclosed that Ivan and Ines are the targets of their inquiry -- are identical.

-- We have reason to believe that you witnessed a serious crime yesterday afternoon. We must ask you to come with us and make a formal statement. --

Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:37 pm
by SunlessNick

"What crime? Where?" asks Ines. She does not gather her belongings, to take with her, knowing they safer in the custody of Miss Davenport and Miss Carrow than with her in the hands of the authorities.

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
One of the officers, who is apparently in charge, consults a sheet of paper.

-- It is stated here that a woman of Gypsy appearance and a man of very large stature were seen witnessing the abduction of an unconscious person who was forcibly taken aboard a ship under the command of one Jacques Delacroix, and that they neither reported this to the authorities nor made any effort to prevent it. --

Returning the paper to his waistcoat, he continues in a less formal manner.

-- Unfortunately, this report came to our notice soon after the vessel in question slipped away in the middle of the night. I will have to ask the two of you to come with us and provide evidence that you are not in league with this Delacroix, an infamous pirate. --

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry has dressed quickly but elegantly. "My servant does not understand much French, regrettably," he says, gesturing to Ivan, who does an admirable job of looking confused. "I shall be happy to accompany him and translate."

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- As you wish, Monsieur, -- the officer replies. His manner is cordial but cold, and it is impossible to determine if he truly suspects the adventurers of criminal acts.

The local headquarters of the police are located not far away. As the sun rises, those accompanying the policemen catch a glimpse of Le Petite Fille at rest in the harbor. This is a reminder that it sets sail in a few hours.

Some time is taken with routine questions as to the identities of the party, their place of origin, their intended destination, et cetera. At last the officer in charge raises the issue at hand.

-- What do you know of this Jacques Delacroix and his larcenous activities? --

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 am
by SunlessNick

Ines curses under her breath in Calo, suspecting that the abduced man may be Guillaume.

At the police building, Ines sticks with a shallow version of the truth. If the Jacques she encountered is the same that they speak of, his men attempted to abduct Ivan for their crew, but were unwilling to face his strength when they saw their attempt to drug him had failed. She will also add that Ivan was protecting her from unwholesome attention from men in the tavern - hoping that this detail will provoke some chivalrous fellow feeling for him.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 10 + 3 for Beautiful = 13[dice]0[/dice]
The officer is quite taken with the story told by Ines and is clearly sympathetic.

-- I quite understand, Mademoiselle. This Delacroix is a rascal! One of these days he shall pay for his crimes, have no fear! You are free to go. --

As they are escorted back to their companions, Ines is able to recall that the abducted man was far too small to be the hulking Guillaume.

The party has sufficient time to reach La Petite Fille before she sets sail.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let us gather our things and head for the ship," Henry says to his companions. "We should be able to catch up with Guillaume there."

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The adventurers board Le Petite Fille without trouble. Not long after their belongings are stored securely they find Guillaume standing near the bow, looking off into the distance. When he notices them, he is at first visibly astonished. Soon however, he recovers his wits and addresses them with a smile.

"I shall speak to you in the native tongue of your island nation," he says, "although, like German, it is too harsh for truly civilized peoples. The crew of this packet are no doubt ignorant of it -- and possibly of French as well, judging by their dull countenances -- and I have no wish for them to overhear what we might say.

"I am surprised to see you here, and I credit your wit for having deduced my whereabouts. I presume you have come with some message from my poor, suffering parents. I am afraid that you have come on a fool's errand, for I wish to have nothing more to do with them. Let my liver-less brother inherit all! Let my sister turn trollop! I care not. I turn my back upon the lot of them.

"As we are forced to share company for a brief time, I bid you welcome. As your errand is in vain, I suggest that you debark when we reach Brest."

Le Petite Fille is soon underway, the shouts of the crewmen mingling with the cries of seabirds, the scent of saltwater carried in the breeze. The small vessel begins its voyage slowly, remaining in sight of land, as it crawls up the coast to Brest. It will reach that harbor by nightfall.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 am
by Rooter

Lila approaches Guillaume. "Sir, might I inquire as to your intentions when you reach Britain?"

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 8 + 3 for Beautiful + 1 for cheek scar (due to Guillaume's Perversity) = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Obviously intrigued by the Demon Hunter, Guillaume approaches her with a crooked grin.

"Riches, my bold beauty! Riches to make myself a king of my own little island, where winter is unknown and clothing nearly so! Of course, a king needs a queen, or a concubine, or several, upon whom he can lavish many fine gifts in return for her favors."

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 am
by Rooter

"Indeed. Though I might venture to suggest that you are rather getting ahead of yourself, sir, for I fancy the acquisition of these riches you speak of will not be so easy as you suppose. One is reminded of the proverb that if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Unexpectedly, that brings a hearty laugh from Guillaume.

"But what needs one walk, or even ride, when one might fly?"

With that, he turns to gaze upon the azure waters of the Bay of Biscay.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry joins Guillaume at the rail. "If it is wealth you seek, I could assist you there," he says. "However, there are things more important than wealth, I've found. I have plentiful wealth that I would gladly trade for what I cannot have. If you leave France, you will be branded a deserter. You will never again be able to return to your home country, never again be able to see your family. You may not think much of them now, but you would come to miss them in the years to come. However, I have an alternative proposal. If you were to return voluntarily to your unit, you would be guilty of no more than absence without leave. You could take your punishment, do your duty, and fulfill your service. If you would be willing to do that, I would be willing to provide you with more wealth than you might gain from your plans: a down payment when you disembark in Brest, and the rest when you have completed your service and show me your discharge papers."

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Allow me to assure you, my generous friend, that certain -- shall we call them incidents? -- during my time of service prevent me from returning, if I wish to continue the privilege of breathing. As for your wealth, well, I have my own plans which, if I may be immodest, are likely to bring me more profit than your entire fortune."

Further conversation is without effect as the packet makes its way to Brest. The ship is refitted at the port and various items are traded back and forth with local merchants. The paying passengers are free to leave Le Petite Fille or remain aboard as they see fit.

Guillaume is observed disembarking, apparently with some destination in mind.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we follow him?" Henry asks his companions. "I wasn't expecting him to disembark here. I had thought he was bound for England, but perhaps he intends to reboard after completing some errand here."

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am
by Rooter

"Perhaps some of us should remain aboard since not all of us may be adept at following him without his noticing."

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 pm
by SunlessNick

"You are clearly the best of us in that regard, MIss Davenport," says Ines. "Whilst Ivan and I are still the ones to whom he will have paid the least heed."
OOC:   Has Guillaume left any belongings aboard the ship?" If so, Ines will add:  
"Perhaps I and Miss Carrow may search his belongings. If we are discovered, she can play the part of having caught me and persuade the crew to allow her and Dr North to deal with me."

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"The smaller the group that follows him, the less the chance of discovery." says Henry. "Miss Davenport is the best suited for the task. I don't think Elizabeth would feel comfortable about lying - or going through Guillaume's things, for that matter. But anyone could stand watch and then pretend to catch you if someone comes along."

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This plan being agreed upon by all involved, the adventurers separate and carry out their diverse actions.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is quite adept at tracking, and Guillaume remains entirely unaware that he is being followed. As they walk the narrow streets that run along the long and heavily fortified harbor (Brest being strongly defended against perfidious Albion), it is obvious that this is very much a military town, particularly when it comes to the navy. Guillaume's experience in the army (although clearly an inglorious one) allows him to strike up conversations with idle sailors and marines, from one of whom he apparently obtains the information he seeks. After some time, he enters an obscure shop and emerges a while later with a case of the kind use to carry a brace of pistols. The purpose for which he has obtained this weaponry is not yet clear.

While this occurs, Ines attempts to examine Guillaume's belongings without drawing undue notice.
Spoiler:
DEX 10 + 1 for the True Innocent nearby = 11[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately, one of the crew of Le Petite Fille is sharper of eye and ear than might be expected.

-- What is this? A thief we have aboard! A cage for you, little robber-bird! --

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:57 am
by SunlessNick

Ines shrinks away from the crewman, not wanting to say anything that would interfere with how Dr North wishes to play the part of discovering her.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ivan, take hold of her," Henry commands his hulking servant as he faces Ines. "What do you have to say for yourself, Miss?"

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 am
by SunlessNick

"I was just looking! I wouldn't have taken anything!"

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- I leave the wench in your hands, Monsieur. -- the sailor says with a leer, no doubt pleased to have gifted another with the responsibility.

By this time Guillaume and Miss Davenport have arrived separately. Soon Le Petite Fille is on its way to Plymouth.

After some time have passed, another vessel appears from the direction of the Celtic Sea. It is a swift ship of moderate size, although larger than the tiny one it approaches. Not much longer a sailor with a spyglass shouts to the others.

-- It is The Black Fox, by all the devils! I fear we are to be raided! --

The master of the packet orders his men hither and yon, preparing for battle. Although these waters are generally free of combat during peaceful times, it seems that some brigand has dared to play pirate so close to the coast.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quickly, we must ready our defenses!" calls Henry, gripping his cane. Ivan draws his sword and stands ready.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines slips on her brass knuckles and does the same. Trying to still her pounding heart, she tries to discern whether this Black Fox is the same ship aboard which she and Ivan saw that unfortunate being taken.
OOC:   Intelligence 9, -3 Dull
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 11  
Unfortunately, to the Gypsy's unschooled eyes, one ship the same as another, and she hadn't been paying much attention in any case.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:52 am
by Rooter

"I am doubtful if our little ship has any defenses to speak of," Lila observes. She has Roterstein's throwing disc weapon in hand. "I have seen this cut through a tree. I fancy I could put a hole in the side of yonder vessel or slice through a mast or at least do some damage." She turns to Guillaume. "Well, sir, what will you do now? Perhaps you may never reach England in order to make your hoped-for fortune."

Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:18 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Black Fox easily overtakes the little packet. She is a vessel that would be scorned by any proper buccaneer, but seeking out helpless prey as she does, she is clearly at an advantage. She possesses only one small cannon, as far as one can tell. One of her crewman fires the gun's fuse.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9[dice]0[/dice]
A hit upon one of Le Petite Fille's sails renders her helpless to escape the approaching enemy. With a mighty crash, the two ships collide.

-- Prepare to be boarded! -- cries out one of the pirates. In a few moments Le Petite Fille will be swarming with the blackguards.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
The ships being so close together, it can be seen that no less than fifteen villains prepare to leap aboard the packet.
Spoiler:
DEX= 9[dice]2[/dice]
As luck would have it, they are mostly a clumsy lot, and only five make it across on their first try, the others cursing as they find themselves caught on ropes or sliding upon wet decks. They are out of action for the moment, but may not always be so.

While this is going on, Guillaume ignores Miss Davenport's remarks. He clutches at a medallion worn on a chain around his neck for a moment, then lets go of it.

-- Too far, -- he mutters to himself.

With a pistol in each hand he fires at the attackers.
Spoiler:
DEX 9[dice]3[/dice]
One shot wastes itself flying off into the air, but the other strikes one of the pirates. He staggers back against the rail, crashes through it, and falls into the sea.

The adventurers will barely have time to react to this onslaught before the pirates attack, and their less agile fellows once more attempt to board.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quickly, before they get their footing!" says Henry. Not having pistols of their own, he and Ivan rush forward to try to drive the pirates who made it aboard back into the sea. His main concern is to protect Elizabeth, so they will target the ones nearest to her.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm
by Rooter

Lila takes aim and launches the spinning disc toward the pirate ship's main mast with hopes of toppling it and its sails down upon the villains beneath, if not capsizing their vessel altogether.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm
by SunlessNick

While Miss Davenport is aiming for the other ship's mast she will have little opportunity to defend herself, so Ines will go for the pirates closest to her.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Quickly, before they get their footing!" says Henry. Not having pistols of their own, he and Ivan rush forward to try to drive the pirates who made it aboard back into the sea. His main concern is to protect Elizabeth, so they will target the ones nearest to her.
Spoiler:
DEX = 10 + 1 TI + 3 True Love = 14; DEX = 9 + 1 Affection + 1 TI + 1 Guard = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Damage by Doctor North[dice]1[/dice]
Spoiler:
Damage by Ivan[dice]2[/dice]
Doctor North, granted the courage of a tiger by his devotion to his beloved, rushes forward with his cane and knocks the pirate in the head with a mighty blow. The brigand falls to the deck unconscious. The loyal Ivan makes an equally valiant effort, and pierces his opponent's breast with the sword cane. The man's life blood drenches the deck.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Image

Lila takes aim and launches the spinning disc toward the pirate ship's main mast with hopes of toppling it and its sails down upon the villains beneath, if not capsizing their vessel altogether.
Spoiler:
dex = 18 + 1 TI = 19[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
degree of damage done[dice]1[/dice]
Spoiler:
dex = 18 + 1 TI = 19 for the disc's return[dice]2[/dice]
Miss Davenport hurls the bizarre weapon at The Black Fox. The disc makes a loud shrieking sound as it sails through the air like an enraged bird of prey. It strikes the ship's main mast and does a moderate amount of damage to it; another such hit will no doubt sending it toppling to the ground. As if it had a will of its own, the disc returns to Miss Davenport's hand without harming her with its razor-sharp teeth.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Image

While Miss Davenport is aiming for the other ship's mast she will have little opportunity to defend herself, so Ines will for the pirates closest to her.
Spoiler:
DEX = 10 + 1 TI + 1 Boxing = 12; Ines gets two attacks per round due to Boxing[dice]0[/dice]
Valiantly entering battle with a degree of determination not often found among members of the fairer sex, Ines engages the pirate in fisticuffs.
Spoiler:
Damage[dice]4[/dice]
With great skill her brass knuckles render the man dead to the world.

Of the five invaders who boarded Le Petite Fille, three are badly injured and may be dying. The two remaining are free to make their own attacks.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9[dice]1[/dice]
One slashes blindly with a cutlass, stirring the air but causing no harm to any living creature. The other, with evident skill, throws a knife at Guillaume and strikes home.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
The blade causes only slight injury to the Frenchman, for the moment.

Meanwhile, the ten pirates who failed to board try again.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]3[/dice]
Exactly half of them are successful. The crew and captain of Le Petite Fille, not being of heroic mettle, cower and conceal themselves as best they can. The adventurers now face a total of six uninjured pirates, who seem determined to attack in a moment.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,My weapon is a regular cane; [b]Ivan[/b] has the sword cane. Does [b]Ivan[/b]'s avocation of Guard give him another +1? [b]Ines[/b]'s first attack (the 11) should hit. She has DEX 10, plus 1 for the True Innocent, plus another 1 for Boxing, giving her a total of 12.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,My weapon is a regular cane; [b]Ivan[/b] has the sword cane. Does [b]Ivan[/b]'s avocation of Guard give him another +1? [b]Ines[/b]'s first attack (the 11) should hit. She has DEX 10, plus 1 for the True Innocent, plus another 1 for Boxing, giving her a total of 12.
Spoiler:
Edited to reflect these changes. The second one in particular was a silly math error.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am
by Rooter

Lila readies and launches the throwing disc at the pirate ship's mast once again. This time, instead of attempting to catch it on its return, she flings herself for cover and shouts in English at the others to get down, letting the weapon wreak its destruction among those villains who have boarded.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines follows Miss Davenport's instruction.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX 19[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Damage[dice]1[/dice]
The flying disc slices clear through the mast, which crashes down upon the deck of The Black Fox in a tangle of ropes and sails, knocking not a few men into the sea.

When there is time to reflect upon the nature of this arcane weapon, it will become clear that, will I nill I, it seeks to return to the one who has thrown it, for good or evil. Evidently eager to be rid of the thing, Miss Davenport dodges it.
Spoiler:
DEX 19[dice]2[/dice]
This done skillfully, the object flies off into the ocean, where, if fate be kind, it will remain.

Meanwhile, the half dozen pirates aboard Le Petite Fille, oblivious to the fate of their fellows aboard The Black Fox, concentrate their efforts upon Guillaume.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9 [dice]3[/dice]
Half of these manage to strike blows upon the giant Frenchman with club and knife.
Spoiler:
damage [dice]4[/dice]
Guillaume lies unconscious. Working quickly, one of the pirates snatches the object worn around the stricken man's neck. With a wordless cry of triumph, he races back towards the crippled pirate ship.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]5[/dice]
The deck, slippery with blood and salt water, proves to be his unmaking. He falls into the water and is lost to sight. The two brigands who assisted him in his assault upon Guillaume attempt to snatch the object from his hand before he is swept off the packet.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]6[/dice]
One man is able to do so, and makes his own effort to board The Black Fox.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]7[/dice]
Evidently more sure-footed than the other, he is successful in this effort. Once this is done, orders are shouted on The Black Fox to disengage. This requires much time and effort, given the severe damage done to the ship, but eventually it crawls away, towards whatever port it might call home. The master of Le Petite Fille is only too happy to be on his way again.

And what of the four invaders left aboard the packet? Obviously fearful of the harsh punishment meted out to bandits of the sea, each leaps into the sea.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]8[/dice]
As if the Devil smiles upon them, all four are able to swim out to the slow-moving Black Fox and climb aboard her, no doubt eager to work some other mischief.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry and Ivan do likewise, ready to defend themselves if this doesn't work.
OOC,I think there are only six conscious pirates aboard our ship. Five made it aboard in each of the first two rounds, [b]Guillaume[/b] took down one, [b]Ines[/b] got one, and [b]Henry[/b] and [b]Ivan[/b] each got one, leaving six.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Henry and Ivan do likewise, ready to defend themselves if this doesn't work.
OOC,I think there are only six conscious pirates aboard our ship. Five made it aboard in each of the first two rounds, [b]Guillaume[/b] took down one, [b]Ines[/b] got one, and [b]Henry[/b] and [b]Ivan[/b] each got one, leaving six.
Spoiler:
corrected, thanks. I really need to learn how to count.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry races to Guillaume's side with his medical supplies to do what he can for his injuries, prepared to use the Cauteriser if they are severe enough.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 am
by SunlessNick

Ines keeps her eyes on the Black Fox, to be sure that it is indeed retreating, and not attempting some kind of parting shot.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Ines is able to report that The Black Fox has no further interest in Le Petite Fille, and is limping away from the area.

The Cauteriser is able to bring Guillaume back into the land of the living.

The crew of the Le Petite Fille, shaken but unblooded, continue on their way to Plymouth.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am
by Rooter

"Did you observe the cowardly behavior of our ship's crew?" Lila remarks to her companions. "I should say the captain of Le Petite Fille owes us a boon for saving his vessel." She eyes the injured Guillaume without sympathy. "And you, sir, may wish to be more forthcoming with us now that your little escapade is evidently at a sorry end. I presume the pendant which those brigands stole is the mysterious object of power which you discovered?"

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:45 pm
by SunlessNick

"And was clearly the object of the pirates' attack," adds Ines.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, I noticed that as well," says Henry. "They obviously knew about it, and they knew they would find Guillaume with it on this ship. Somebody must have told them. My guess is someone found out about it in La Rochelle and knew which ship he booked passage on, then informed the pirates. We do have a live captive, the one I knocked over the head. Perhaps he can be persuaded to talk."

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Guillaume, in an understandably foul mood, is reluctant to express much gratitude to those who have saved his life. Instead, he grumbles about the loss of the object and swears to recover it.

The unconscious pirate, once he has been revived with many pourings of salt water upon his injured pate, is more loquacious. Evidently he feels himself betrayed by his fellows. No doubt he also believes that co-operation may save him from the noose.

-- The Captain, may the devil's mother-in-law marry him, will take Le Renard Noir to its hiding place on Ouessant, the island you English call Ushant. I know not exactly where she makes her harbor, but the Captain would dare not voyage much further without seeking refuge so she may be repaired. --

The small isle in question lies at no great distance from the current position of Le Petite Fille. The adventurers know of it as a place inhabited by about one thousand persons, primarily engaged in fishing. It possesses one fine, large harbor, and many smaller ones.

Perhaps one might be reminded of the old Breton proverb regarding the place, as well as two other islands in the same part of the sea.

Qui voit Molène voit sa peine / Qui voit Ouessant voit son sang / Qui voit Sein voit sa fin.

"He who sees Molène sees his pains / He who sees Ushant sees his blood / He who sees Sein sees his end."

The saying relates to the difficulty in navigating the rock-filled waters in the area, but one might see other forebodings in its grim words.

Meanwhile, Le Petite Fille continues on its way to England.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Our captain was reluctant enough to fight the pirates when they boarded his ship," says Henry. "I doubt he'd be willing to beard them in their den, let alone pass through the treacherous rocks around Ushant."

Ivan grins at the reference to the devil's mother-in-law. In his homeland, such references to the devil's relatives are made often.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:59 am
by Rooter

"He might not be willing but, given that we saved his crew and vessel, I believe the captain ought to be gracious enough to make the attempt if we so desire to travel to Ushant and retrieve the pendant. Surely a pirate's hands are worse than those of Guillaume for this powerful object to fall into."

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:01 pm
by SunlessNick

"I do not think he differs from them very much," says Ines. "But no, it will de dangerous in their hands, or in those of any they might sell it to."

Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That is true," says Henry. "If we are to pursue the pirates, it is better to do it now, before they have the opportunity to repair their ship or replace their losses. Currently they are at a disadvantage. Our captain does owe us a favour after we defended his ship. I think it is time we collect."

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After much negotiation (and not a little bribery) the master of Le Petite Fille agrees to stop at the main harbor of Ushant, located on the western side of the island, just long enough to drop off the adventurers. It is a busy place, full of small fishing boats. It is not unexpected that there is no sign of The Black Fox, that vessel having chosen, no doubt, to make her berth in a smaller and more isolated inlet somewhere else on the island. Two naval battles having been fought in recent years in the waters about the isle, during the conflict between England and France that resulted from the American rebellion, the party is not unacquainted with the physical appearance of Ushant.

As to how to find the pirates' hide-out, that is a puzzling question indeed.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:just long enough to drop off the adventurers.

Ines will bring up the question of how the company is planning to leave the island if Le Petit Fille isn't staying.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent point," says Henry. "We should question our prisoner further about Ushant and see what he knows about the harbor and any contacts he has there, both to find the hideout and to obtain passage off the island when our task is finished."

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Further conversation with the brigand shows that he does not know exactly where The Black Fox might be harbored, the captain of said vessel having made use of many a little-known inlet as a hiding place in the past. As for the prospect of leaving Ushant, as far as he knows the only method is to accompany a fishing vessel to the coast of France, which lies not far way, these boats being so small that they dare not brave the Channel.

Grateful for having been saved from the hangman, the fellow is willing to act as a guide for the party, as he has some small knowledge of the island and its people.

-- Where shall we begin, my friends? There are few to be found here but casters of nets, but perhaps one among them may have seen Le Renard Noir hereabouts. --

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm
by Rooter

"It strikes me that the pirates will require materials to repair their damaged ship," Lila ventures. "Perhaps there are those locally with shipwright knowledge or tools who have been approached in order to obtain such materials very recently." She puts this suggestion to their new guide.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, a good idea," says Henry with a nod.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This clever notion leads quickly to the discovery that a local artificer has been hired to provide such materials, paid for with a motley assemblage of coins from many nations, and with many questions unanswered. One peculiar thing, the fellow reveals after his tongue has been loosed with drink and silver, is the fact that the items in question were carried off on a small boat, such as a larger vessel often carries for short excursions. Given the size of the island's main harbor, this would require far more time and effort than transporting it by land almost anywhere else on Ushant, the boat being of no great size, the task of rowing in and out of the harbor a laborious one, and multiple trips being required.

The only reasonable assumption is that The Black Fox is secreted not on Ushant itself, but in some inlet on one of the smaller islets that surround it. A quick glance at the map reveals the most likely of these to be Keller Island, located to the north of Ushant, and of sufficient size to conceal a ship from curious eyes.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent," says Henry. "We'll need a boat of our own to reach Keller Island, and we'll want to approach at night, to make it less likely that we're seen."

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 am
by SunlessNick

"We should assume they will be expecting an attempt to recover the pendant," says Ines. "Though with luck, they will think only Guillaume, not ourselves."
OOC:   Speaking of which, did Guillaume come with us?  

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Silently brooding over the loss of an object which is clearly of great value to him, Guillaume has accompanied the adventurers and their piratical guide as a reluctant ally. If questioned, he makes it clear that the item rightly belongs to him, and that he will fight any efforts to wrest it from him.

Regardless of what the others might do, he plans to hire a rowboat and make his way to Keller Island, which is quite near to Ushant.

-- Come with me or not, -- he remarks, breaking his silence. -- It matters not a whit to me. --

It may also be noted that the pirate, who offers no name but "the Crab," is reluctant to go along, but will do so if it is demanded of him.

It remains to be decided who among the party will make the brief but potentially hazardous voyage to Keller Island, and whether these persons will go with Guillaume or make their own way across the narrow channel that separates the two isles.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should go with you," Henry says to Guillaume. "You nearly died, and you're still not in the best of health. You may need my medical skills. And where I go, Ivan shall go as well. His strength will no doubt prove useful."

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 am
by Rooter

Lila agrees with the plan of accompanying Guillaume. She turns to "the Crab". -- You don't have to come with us if you wish. But you may be able to tell us something of your former ship and crew which could help us in our endeavor. Do you suppose it likely that the captain of the Black Fox will hold the pendant himself and if so would he keep it on his person or stored somewhere? --

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- After rewarding the fellow who seized it, -- the pirate replies -- I can only imagine that the Captain will secure it within his chest, which is guarded night and day by his most loyal cutthroats. -- It seems evident that the Crab does not wish to be thought of as one such cutthroat. Eager to be off, he bids farewell to the adventurers.

A rowboat is secured, after some negotiation with an honest widowed fishwife, who is also willing to provide Miss Carrow with simple accommodations. (One hopes she enjoys the taste of salt cod.)

As planned, the journey begins under moonlight. With Ivan and Guilliaume to row, progress is swift. On approaching Keller Island, there is no sign of The Black Fox, which must have taken shelter on the other side of the isle.

-- As we have been forced to work together, -- Guilliaume remarks with a touch of sarcasm, -- I bow to your wishes. Shall we land and approach by land, or sail around the island? --

Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should make landfall here and cross the island on foot," says Henry. "The pirates, if they're expecting pursuit, will expect it by sea. Here we can come ashore without being seen as we approach."

Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 am
by Rooter

"This seems the best way to approach," Lila concurs. "However, having the boat close to hand would be preferable if we are compelled to make a hasty escape afterward. We must hope to avoid pursuit in that case."

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:35 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines says nothing, but is obviously relieved at a strategem that allows her to be on her feet as the company approaches the ship.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Guilliaume has no objection to this plan.

"As I find myself in the company of experienced strategists," he remarks, "do you recommend that we approach now, by the light of moon and lantern, or wait until dawn?"

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it best we approach under cover of night, preferably without additional light," says Henry, "which would give us away to any sentries. We do have a lantern, and I also have a device I invented that generates light. Perhaps we could light our way for the first part of the journey, then put it out when we get near to the pirates' camp. They outnumber us, so I think stealth is our best bet. With enough luck, we may even be able to recover your pendant and be gone before they even know we've been there."

Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines agrees with Dr North's assessment. "If they are expecting an attempt to take back the pendant, waiting only gives them more time to prepare."

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 pm
by Rooter

Lila has no objection to this proposed plan, either. She readies her lantern and offers to lead the way, being somewhat more nimble of foot in the dark than the bulkier men.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This plan of action agreed upon, the party makes its way toward the other side of the island. Like a ghostly shadow, The Black Fox is a black silhouette in the moonlight. All is quiet, save for the footsteps of a sentry upon the deck.
Spoiler:
DEX rolls for all: Henry = 10, Lila = 18, Ivan = 9, Guilliaume = 9; Ines = 10[dice]0[/dice]
The rocky and irregular ground makes it impossible to near the vessel without producing some noise. Although the lookout has not, as best as can be told, detected the invaders, he has heard their movement.

-- Who goes there? --

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 am
by SunlessNick

Ines will follow the lead if anyone tries anything else, but otherwise tries to stay still and quiet, hoping the sentry will assume he was mistaken.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also remains silent and motionless, hoping that the sentry will think it was an animal.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discretion once more being proved the better part of valor, the sentry resumes his patrol of the ship. His rounds are more or less regular; apparently the master of The Black Fox imposes something resembling military discipline upon his motley crew. After some time has passed, it will be possible to tell when the sentry is out of sight of the adventurers, and vice versa.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry observes the sentry carefully, using his pocketwatch to time the pattern of his patrol so that he can tell exactly how long the man is visible and how long he is not. While it may be too dark to see the watch's hands move, the regular soft ticking is a good way to measure time when the watch is held to his ear.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:37 am
by Rooter

"Should we all attempt to sneak past?" Lila whispers. "Do we perhaps try to disable the sentry? Our goal must be the captain's cabin."

She peers closely at the ship in the gloom. Is there perhaps a mooring rope which can be climbed to board the ship, windows which might mark the cabin and even be entered from without, or does their only means of entrance lie past the sentry and the deck?

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"The more people who sneak, the more likely it is they'll be observed," Henry whispers back. "One of us should try to sneak aboard while the sentry is out of view. If caught, the rest of us can rush the ship before anyone can react. If not, it may be best to sneak up behind the sentry and disable him so that the rest of us can board, or it may be better to try to slip into the captain's cabin and recover the pendant without the pirates being any the wiser. The latter option seems more prone to failure, however, as the sentry will still be patrolling."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Close examination under bright moonlight reveals that there are indeed ropes tying The Black Fox to the shore, and that these may provide a means of boarding her unobserved. It seems probable, however, that the Captain's cabin, which is likely to contain a storeroom of ill-gotten gains, is not so directly reachable. As the Crab has revealed, the treasures therein are guarded night and day, and it will require boldness as well as stealth to gain access to them.

Growing somewhat impatient, Guilliaume indicates in low whispers that he is willing to make a direct assault upon the vessel, but will bide his time if anyone wishes to approach her in a less obvious manner. He grips his pistols, reloaded since his last encounter with the pirates, in his mighty fists.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:14 am
by SunlessNick
OOC:   How many did the Crab say were aboard?  

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party will recall that the Crab mentioned that there were "many" of his fellow pirates aboard The Black Fox, but that he could not give an exact number, not being able to count very well once he runs out of fingers. In view of the fact that no less than fifteen brigands attempted to board Le Petite Fille, not all successfully, it is reasonable to assume that the crew numbers roughly a score, perhaps less, perhaps more.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:11 pm
by Rooter

"It seems likely we shall have need of a physical strike to overcome such a well-guarded prize but we may do so without a full-scale assault, Mr. de Hautomnes. We are not an army. I suggest you put those pistols away since a single gunshot will surely bring the entire crew down upon us. I can try to board by climbing one of the ropes while the rest of you follow the doctor's suggestion in getting past and possibly disabling the sentry. That way, if one of you should be discovered and the alarm is raised, I may still be able to sneak in and liberate the pendant while you provide a distraction to draw the guards away. Otherwise, all being well, we can simply meet aboard."

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:10 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines is agreeable to this plan.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 18[dice]0[/dice]
As silently as any cat, Miss Davenport makes her way aboard The Black Fox without drawing attention. A single wave to her companions indicates that all is well. With great stealth, moving quietly from one hiding place to the next, she is able to make her way to a point near the the Captain's quarters. A tall, heavily bearded fellow stands in front of the door, smoking a pipe, occasionally whistling a melancholy tune.

It remains to be seen if any of the other adventurers will make a similar effort to board the pirate ship. The sentry continues his rounds, nodding to the man guarding the Captain's rooms as he passes by, but remaining, as of yet, unaware of the intruder who lurks nearby.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,My idea was that whoever sneaks aboard could quietly take out the sentry, so that the rest of us could get on the ship without being noticed.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:57 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,My idea was that whoever sneaks aboard could quietly take out the sentry, so that the rest of us could get on the ship without being noticed.
OOC:   How stealthy is Ivan? He seems best able to subdue the sentry quietly without killing him.  

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Spoiler:
We'll have to see if Rooter wishes to follow this plan of action. It could certainly be done when he passes by.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:22 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Sorry Mr. Handy, like Nick I assumed that Ivan would be the best to take out the sentry, I'm not too sure how Lila can do that. She only has her daggers for monsters and she won't kill a human. I was just thinking that Lila could be in place as a stealthy backup to try for the pendant in case the alarm gets raised by the sentry, with the aid of the distraction to draw the guards away from the cabin. Hopefully that won't happen but if you don't think one of you should try for the sentry I could attempt with Lila, maybe by hitting him on the back of the head with the handle of her dagger or something. But I'm not confident she has the Strength.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Ivan[/b]'s not very stealthy, or very accurate. He has a DEX of 9. Mine is not much better, at 10, and [b]Ines[/b] has the same score. You could always have borrowed my cane, or simply use a tree branch or other handy blunt object found on the ship such as a belaying pin, to conk him over the head. You could also use your Feat of Strength or Dexterity to boost your Strength. If it doesn't work, then the rest of us can come running if the sentry calls for help. If you'd rather not try that, I can have [b]Ivan[/b] try to sneak aboard when the sentry is out of view. It might help is chances if you are able to distract him. You could also do something as simple as spilling water on the deck in the sentry's route (where he's out of our view) and get him to slip and fall. If that doesn't disable him, it should at least keep him busy so [b]Ivan[/b] can board.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:59 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Yes you're right. Let's try distracting the sentry so the rest of you can get past. If he doesn't take the bait then there might still be a chance to knock him out.

Seeking to divert the pacing sentry's attention in order that her companions can board, Lila seizes a spare belaying pin lying among a pile of loose rigging from the ship repairs and throws it across to the far opposite side of the deck from where the others hide, hoping its noise will draw the man away to investigate, thus leaving the coast clear.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This ploy has the effect of drawing the attention of both the sentry and the fellow standing outside the entrance to the Captain's quarters. They rush to investigate. In a little while they will discover the belaying pin, attribute the sound to happenstance, and return to their posts; but for the moment the coast, as they say, is clear.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:28 am
by SunlessNick

Ines boards the ship as quickly and quietly as she can. Being the lightest of the four, she hopes the gangplank will make the least noise beneath her.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry and Ivan also stealthily approach the ship following Ines.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Having distracted the two men on guard, the bold adventurers are able to make their way near Miss Davenport. It only remains for them to make their way into the Captain's quarters. Guilliaume follows the others. Despite warning, he carries his pistols close at hand.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am
by Rooter

With speed of the essence, Lila waves for the others to head on into the Captain's quarters. "I will stand watch here to warn if the guard returns." She seizes Guillaume by the arm. "Perhaps you should wait here with me, sir."

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seemingly entranced by the Demon Hunter's courage and beauty, the powerful Frenchman nods his head, pistols cocked and ready.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're stealthier than the rest of us," Henry whispers to Lila. "We do not want to risk awakening the captain. Perhaps you should go in to ensure he remains asleep."

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 am
by Rooter

With no time to argue, Lila nods and heads inside as carefully but swiftly as possible.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 18[dice]0[/dice]
This is done with great care, Miss Davenport opening the door very slowly so that no squeak emerges.

Beyond is a small -- but no doubt luxurious, for such a vessel -- suite of two rooms. From the inner emerges the sound of soft breathing. The outer contains the usual array of nautical equipment, as well as a large trunk as described by the Crab. Examination reveals that it is secured with an iron padlock. The key is not evident.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 am
by Rooter

If she could remove the chest as a whole, Lila thinks, then perhaps one with the strength of Ivan could carry it away across the island. But does she have the strength to lift it? It is likely very heavy.
Spoiler:
If appropriate she will use her Feat of Strength in the attempt to lift the chest and carry it out to Ivan.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Feat of Strength usage increases STR to 12[dice]0[/dice]
Desperation temporarily granting her the might of a Hippolyta, Miss Davenport is able to convey the trunk outside the Captain's quarters.

"Have your servant break open the lock," Guillaume says with a whisper that somehow sounds like a shout, "or I shall shoot it off!"

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:02 pm
by SunlessNick

"Not here," hisses Ines. "Do you want to bring the whole crew down on us?"

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"As you wish," he replies, "but I must have the talisman! Hurry!"

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ivan can carry the chest," whispers Henry. "We need to be off the ship before the pirates return, and then we can open the chest and look through it at our leisure. In addition to your talisman, we'll also have the rest of the pirates' treasure. With the cabin door shut, they may not notice anything amiss until morning. Let's go."
OOC,If there's any chance he can fail to carry it, [b]Ivan[/b] will use his Feat of Strength. [b]Gullaume[/b] could also help, he's strong too.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two mighty men are able to carry the trunk to shore. Slowly and carefully the party retreats to a secluded area where it can be examined. There is still the problem of opening it.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 am
by Rooter

"I believe the best place for this chest and its dangerous contents is the bottom of the sea," Lila declares. "I think we ought to row out and throw it overboard."

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With that statement, the enraged Guillaume aims his pistols at the adventurers.

"I have only two bullets, but as Heaven is my witness, I shall use them rather than let you destroy what belongs to me! Now open that trunk, or I will. That will still leave me with one bullet, and I can shoot with either hand."

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:34 am
by SunlessNick

"Heaven will have little regard for a man who would kill for a magical trinket," says Ines. "And as one who has set foot in a precinct of Hell, I tell you do not be so eager to earn a place there."

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you fire that pistol, we'll all end up in one place or the other," says Henry. "Something like a score of angry pirates will hear it and come after us, and we can't fight that many. Fortunately, there's no need to make so much noise to open the chest. Ivan should be able to break that lock open. Should his strength prove insufficient, which I have never seen happen, I also possess a substance that can dissolve the lock's metal silently."

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am
by Rooter

Lila shakes her head sadly. "It is folly to allow such objects of power into the hands of man - of any man. Ines speaks truly. Power corrupts. You see, Monsieur, how it has driven you to threats. Even you, Doctor North, cannot resist its lure. Do not open the chest."

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have no desire for the pendant for myself," says Henry. "As dangerous as it is, it is another man's property, and I have no right to deprive him of it or destroy it without his consent. I also do not wish for our friend to fire his pistol, for then we shall all die." He turns to Guillaume. "For you the pendant is a means to an end, and that end is vast wealth. The pirates' chest must contain a fortune. Would you accept that in exchange for the pendant?"

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Do whatever must be done then."
Spoiler:
STR = 16[dice]0[/dice]
The mighty Russian is easily able to break off the lock, which seems to be somewhat rusty and in need of some repair.

The chest is full of small coins and jewels in a chaotic heap. A quick glance does not appear to reveal anything of unusual value. As Guillaume rummages through them in search of the object he desires, the question remains; will anyone attempt to stop him?

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 am
by SunlessNick

Ines has no illusions of being able to stop Guillaume if he remains set on his course.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 am
by Rooter

"And what of the right of those who will be helpless against one armed with such power? Besides, if the pendant can be said to be any man's property it is that of the Baron de Hautomnes, not his wayward son. But as you say, he may take the pirates' ill-gotten treasure by all means." Lila joins Guillaume in searching through the chest, trying to spot the pendant before he does.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Searching is more wisdom than anything else. WIS = 12 vs WIS = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is able to locate the talisman before the Frenchman. Enraged, he aims both pistols at her and demands its return.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:23 am
by Rooter

"If you want it then go and get it, sir," Lila says evenly before turning on her heel and throwing the pendant as far out into the sea as she can.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In a state of blind fury, Guillaume discharges both pistols in the general direction of the adventurers.
Spoiler:
DEX = 9;[dice]0[/dice]
One bullet flies off into the heavens; the other finds a target.
Spoiler:
Dr. North = 1, Ivan = 2, Ines = 3, Lila = 4, somebody else = 5/6[dice]1[/dice]
As fate would have it, the bullet strikes the roused sentry, who had rushed in the direction of the first shot.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
He is slightly injured, but not to such a degree that he cannot alert his fellows to pursue the party.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am
by Rooter

"I believe it is time to make a swift retreat," Lila observes, setting off back toward the boat. "Monsieur, you are welcome to that treasure if you can carry it," she adds over her shoulder.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines follows Miss Davenport. Should her swift feet bear her to the rowboat before the others [the Fast asset], she will set about untying or cutting it free from its moorings.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party is able to make a quick retreat whilst Guillaume, in a state of excessive choler, is engaged in pitched battle with the pirates. Whatsoever may be the outcome of this conflict of arms, the adventurers will make haste to avoid it.

By this time the rosy fingers of dawn have made their first appearance. At some point in the short journey from one side of the isle to the other, the party encounters an aged man, his gray hair and beard long and tangled, his limbs lean and wiry, his skin tanned dark as a Saracen by many suns, his outfit no more than a crudely sewn goat skin.

"Who goes, a-hey," he croaks in a high-pitched voice. "None comes to poor Tom many and many a day, then comes tens, a-hey. Poor Tom's a-cold, a-hungry, hey. Hides from t'others Tom does, but not these, Tom thinks, a-hey. Wouldst not leave Tom a-dying, wouldst, hey?"

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I wouldn't leave you to die, sir," says Henry. "We do happen to have room in our boat, if you want to get off this island," he adds, thinking that Guillaume won't be going with them. He had saved the man's life once, but this time he was determined to throw it away, and there was nothing more he could do for him.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow eagerly joins the party in their small craft, making swift work of whatsoever fresh water and provisions they may possess. He speaks little during the brief trip back to Ushant, although he mumbles to himself around crumbs and sips of water constantly.

"Tom's old, a-hey," he eventually remarks. "Tom's alone many and many a year, hey. Tom wonders, who wears crown, a-hey."

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"In the British Empire, it's King George III," says Henry. "In France, King Louis XVI. Currently it's the Year of Our Lord 1789. In what year did you arrive on the island?"
OOC,I'm assuming that New Year's has come and gone with all the time we've spent in France, especially with all the travel.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"George as slew the serpent, hey? Tom knows him not, nor t'other two of name. Tom's Queen is Good Bess, a-hey. How long, how long? Tom knows not clocks nor stars, hey. Not his to say, no."

Upon reaching Ushant, the arrival of the party draws some small amount of attention from the fisherfolk setting out at dawn on their daily quest for sustenance. Not a little of this curiosity derives from the peculiar appearance of their unexpected guest, who shows no signs of wishing to depart their company.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 am
by Rooter

"Well, we are likely returning to the mainland of France and thence back to Britain once we have arranged passage. There is little to see and do on Ushant but fishing. i am sure you are welcome to join us if it is your intention to travel."

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm
by SunlessNick

"We should be away as quick as we can," says Ines. "Guillaume would surely point the pirates in our direction should they have taken him alive."

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This precaution seeming reasonable, it now only requires some negotiation with a willing party to obtain transportation to the mainland. There are a handful of fishermen more or less at leisure about who might not be amiss to earning coin. It is a notable fact, however, that the sight of the elderly fellow accompanying the party -- who shows no signs of wishing to leave their side -- causes these locals to display signs of consternation, not a few crossing themselves in the Papist manner.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Their reluctance to let old Tom in their boats is nothing some extra money can't overcome," says Henry, "and I can certainly afford it. Some may refuse, but surely someone will accept. Human greed is a powerful motivator, as we just witnessed with Guillaume. He threw his life away for it, and he can't take any of that treasure with him."

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 am
by Rooter

Wondering at the locals' reaction to the odd stranger, while the others are engaged in seeking transport Lila moves out of the old man's earshot and discreetly inquires as to why they regard him with such evident consternation. Perhaps they fear he carries disease?

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to this inquiry, an elderly fishwife whispers nervously.

-- Cursed he is. Been so since my grandam's grandam was a girl. Not natural, it is. Best leave bad enough alone, says I. --

With that she refuses to provide any other information.

Meanwhile, the sound of clanking coins is sufficient to convince a young fisherman, hardly more than a boy, to convey the party. His vessel is a small one, of course, and he makes his way slowly, stopping often upon the tiny isles that lie betwixt Ushant and Brittany. At last the adventurers arrive at the small town of Le Conquet, the most westerly settlement in the mainland of France. It may be recalled that it was here that Henry VII, then plain Henry Tudor, made landfall when fleeing Wales during the unpleasant contention for the throne of England. Casual discussion of this curious fact of history evokes a reaction from the old fellow accompanying the party.

"Bad times they was, Tom knows, hey. Rose and rose fought 'til was naught but thorns. Harry wise, Tom's foolish, a-hey."

The young fisherman being reluctant to venture any further from his home, it remains for the party to makes its way to Brest, where a ship of sufficient size to reach England may be engaged, the distance being some five leagues or so.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"You lived through the Wars of the Roses?" Henry asks Tom, wondering if he truly is centuries old. "I've only read about them in books. Do you remember the year of your birth, or who wore the crown then?"

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Tom knows not when came into world, a-hey. The lion's heart was gone many and many a year under the cross when Tom was a-running and a-playing, hey."

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 am
by SunlessNick

"How can this be>" asks Ines in a shaky voice. (She does not seem to entirely understand the historical references made by Dr North, save that they represent a vast span of time; and her superstitious heart is quick to take seriously the possibility that Tom has lived it).

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:37 pm
by Rooter

"A curse, the fishwife said. And curses may take strange forms. His speech reminds me a little of old Gypsy folk ... but perhaps not. Well, is there a regular coach from here to Brest or do we face a journey on foot?"

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Being able to live for centuries may not seem like a curse at first glance," says Henry, "but I can see how it can be one. Living all that time, and having everyone you know die. I've experienced all too much of that in my short life, and I cannot imagine it going on repeatedly for hundreds of years. Still, if everyone could live that long, as the book of Genesis records people did before the Flood, then it would be an advantage. Of course, that didn't stop the Flood from being necessary. People were still given over to evil, even moreso in those times than nowadays."

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is a road of sorts from Le Conquet to Brest, but it is not heavily traveled. The little town itself possesses no inn, but perhaps one might make inquiry among the residents and obtain accommodation or transportation, although this might require some delay. To rely on shank's mare, as the saying goes, would take a full day to reach Brest at a moderate pace.

It is a remarkable fact that, during Doctor North's somewhat melancholy meditations upon the apparent longevity of the man traveling with them, he responds with some dismay during the allusions to Scripture.

"Not to speak of that, hey. Tom's a-feared, won't hear the word, no."

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I shan't force you to listen, Tom," says Henry, "but why are you afraid? Is it to do with your curse? Do you know how you came to be so afflicted?"

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Poor Tom's mad, lost most of ago, a-hey. Yester-morrow's gone, save this that and t'other. Wherefore nor why says not, hey."

It would not appear that these remarks are particularly enlightening.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 am
by Rooter

"Indeed," Lila says. "We should be able to reach Brest by nightfall and obtain more proper accommodation than is to be found here. I am ready to set out if we all are."

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I am ready," says Henry. "It will be nice to see England again after so long away - though it hasn't been anywhere near as long for me as it has been for Tom here."

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 pm
by SunlessNick

When the company reaches Brest, Ines will visit a church one last time before returning to a Protestant land.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party proceeds to Brest without untoward incident, a bit tired from the long walk but otherwise in good spirits. Accommodation is obtained at a pleasant inn, where the adventurers may refresh themselves with the excellent local cider and the noted crêpes bretonne, very thin, savory buckwheat cakes.

Ines is directed to the nearest church. The elderly fellow reacts with great distress when he comes in sight of the building and scurries away from it. Upon being questioned as to the reason for this, he falls to his knees and lifts his clenched hands to the party.

"Will free Tom, hey? Tom's a-weary, no stone to lay his head under. Will end Tom's a-wandering, hey?"
Spoiler:
If Ines wishes to pass the evening in prayer and meditation she may obtain one Faith point.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Free you?" asks Henry. "I'm not sure I understand. How are you not free now, and how can we set you free?"

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"River runs to sea, Tom must run a-home, hey. But Tom mayn't, no, barred and blocked from where the meddlesome priest bled his last, a-hey. If could enter, then may be at rest, but no door opens for poor Tom. 'Tis a puzzle too vexsome for brain of Tom, p'haps not others, hey?"

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
If Ines wishes to pass the evening in prayer and meditation she may obtain one Faith point.
Spoiler:
I don't understanad - I couldn't find Faith points in the rulebooks. Do you mean reduce Ines's Perversity?
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"River runs to sea, Tom must run a-home, hey. But Tom mayn't, no, barred and blocked from where the meddlesome priest bled his last, a-hey. If could enter, then may be at rest, but no door opens for poor Tom. 'Tis a puzzle too vexsome for brain of Tom, p'haps not others, hey?"
"Are you saying you cannot die, even if you wish to?" asks Ines.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I meant to say Grace point. Used to re-roll a bad dice result.
"Aye, no way for a-sleeping but not a-dreaming, hey. If Tom could go a-walkin' into where saint fell, where Tom can not go, might could find rest. Poor Tom's a-weary o' wanderin', a-hey."

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Meddlesome priest?" asks Henry. "Do you mean Thomas a Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury who was killed in the cathedral there by four Crusaders, apparently on behalf of the King? Were you one of those knights, Tom? Is that why you're cursed? If we could find a way for you to enter Canterbury Cathedral, then the curse would be broken? I'm sure there must be a way, and if we all work together, we could find it."

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Enthusiastic nods from the fellow indicate that Doctor North has hit upon the heart of the matter, although the afflicted old man is not articulate enough to express this in the appropriate words.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 am
by Rooter

"Remarkable," Lila says. "Shall we make arrangements for passage on a ship back to London with an extra berth for Tom?"

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 pm
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
I meant to say Grace point. Used to re-roll a bad dice result.
Spoiler:
I get it now. Ines will definitely wish to spend the evening so.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, an excellent idea," says Henry. "London is a good place to do what research we need, and when we're ready we can proceed from there to Canterbury."

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This being settled, arrangements are made for passage from Brest to Plymouth, which lies roughly sixty leagues from London.

During the passage, which is a swift and pleasant one, owing to good weather, it is notable that the sailors, notoriously a superstitious lot, avoid having anything to do with the old fellow. If questioned about this, they are unable to provide clear reasons, explaining their behavior as based on bad feelings about him.

Upon arrival at the noted port city, the man shows some signs of excitement.

"Knows this place Tom does, a-hey. First of the four is the soft silver, a-grows in the ground not far, hey. Gives to Tom, will?"

Whilst engaged in obtaining lodging and transportation, the party may spend some time contemplating these puzzling words. Asked to clarify the nature of the item desired, the fellow -- whose wits are clearly not in as good a shape as one might wish -- is unable to recall the proper name of it.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am
by Rooter

"Given the nature of what Tom ultimately seeks, I wonder if now might not be the time to seek the favor of advice from Macaria on what must be done in order to accomplish this," Lila suggests.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should hold that favour in reserve for now," says Henry. "We may need it later when it's a matter of life and death. Let's first try to figure this out ourselves. Apparently we need four things, and the first one is something silver and soft that grows in the ground near here. A mushroom, perhaps?"

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am
by SunlessNick

"Dandelions?" wonders Ines, thinking of of the way the seeds drift like spirits.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am
by Rooter

"Ah, I see." Lila racks her brain for an idea as to what this 'first of the four' might be.
Spoiler:
Wisdom check 12 as I'm afraid my own brain is non-functional. Or should it be Intelligence 11?
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Davenport's intuition suggests a possible hint as to the nature of the item in question. It cannot be mere coincidence that Tom (for such we shall assume is the name of the elderly fellow, presuming that he speaks of himself in the third person rather than some unknown other) bethought himself of the "first of four" upon arrival in this region of England. Could there be some substance for which this area, where Devon and Cornwall meet, is noted?
Spoiler:
I don't want to give too much away, so I'll allow a successful Wisdom or Intelligence roll to provide some kind of hint.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
I don't want to give too much away, so I'll allow a successful Wisdom or Intelligence roll to provide some kind of hint.
Curses! I believe I have gleaned the answer, but it does not seem like something Ines would realise. :x (Though I would not so impugn the character of our dear Victoria as to suggest that she is sniggering at this).

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Go ahead and make a suggestion. There is no restriction on what bright idea might occur to any character.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 am
by SunlessNick

"Substance," says Ines as if tasting the word. "Could it be tin? I once travelled a little while with a whitesmith, and I think he spoke of his tin coming from Cornwall."

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This remark draws the rapt attention of Tom, who undergoes a seeming metamorphosis. Suddenly he seems taller, more alert, even younger. He stands straight, unlike his usual twisted posture, and addresses Ines.

"Yes, tin is the first of the four items. It is associated with Earth. The other three are associated with Air, Fire, and Water. A lump of virgin tin, newly torn from the Earth, the size of a large man's hands, must be obtained to begin the process of removing the curse."

After this remarkable statement, Tom returns to his former condition. He is unable to recall anything he said, and speaks in his usual eccentric and half-mad manner.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:55 am
by Rooter

"Fascinating," Lila says. "Well, Canterbury lies east beyond London hence we have some journeying to do first, and the countryside is likely dotted with mines. Shall we strike out or inquire in Plymouth town?"

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that does make sense," says Henry. "We might as well inquire while we're in town. It shouldn't be too hard to find some virgin tin with it so plentiful in the area, though most deposits of it will already be owned. Perhaps Ivan could get a job for a day mining tin, asking to keep such a lump rather than be paid in money."

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a simple matter to obtain a lump of unworked tin, and the party proceeds on the long journey to Canterbury.

After some time on the road, the adventurers (and their hired driver) pause for rest and refreshment at a pleasant spot, where a gentle stream runs past a grassy field. This inspiring scene appears to excite Tom into a state of agitation.

"Second of four was, is not, 'twill be, a-hey. Gather must the rain that falls not from sky, hey."

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 pm
by SunlessNick

"The spray from a waterfall? Or perhaps dew?" suggests Ines, buoyed by the success of her earlier intuition.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:36 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When he hears this statement, Tom once again undergoes a transformation in character.

"Collect a flask of fresh morning dew and stopper it well, that it might not evaporate."

After making this lucid statement, he returns to a state of incoherence, and is unable to supply any more information regarding this peculiar errand.

If the party wishes to undertake this seemingly pointless errand, it will have to remain at this grass-filled place, and await the first traces of dawn, when dew is likely to form, the day being warm and the evening expected to be cool. This will entail such precautions as are proper for remaining in this isolated locale overnight.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's collect the dew, then," says Henry. "It must represent the element of Water. Fortunately, flasks with stoppers are basic scientific equipment, and I should have one. I can seal it with wax, too."

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm
by Rooter

"Very good. Perhaps it would be prudent for us to set a watch overnight. Bandits are not unheard of and there are stranger things abroad."

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I agree," says Henry. "Ivan and I can each stand watch. I'll take the last watch, so that I can collect the dew when it forms."

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Ivan's watch is uneventful. During Doctor North's watch, the barking of dogs shatters the quiet of the night. The sound draws near, and it is evident that the curs are approaching.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
As they reach the limits of the firelight it becomes evident that the party faces two wild canines, who live by whatever means they can, without the proverbial friendship Dog is supposed to have for Man.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"They must be hungry," says Henry. "We can try throwing them some food in the hopes that they'll want to eat that rather than us. Meat would be the most likely to divert them. If that doesn't work, I can try to frighten them off with the light from my Illuminator."

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 4 [dice]0[/dice]
Both mongrels have been successfully diverted by the offer of meat, at least for the moment. The question remains as to whether the party should continue to wait the few hours until dawn, when the dew may be collected, and risk a change in the dogs' temperament, or abandon this attempt and risk not finding a suitable place to attempt it once again.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:47 pm
by SunlessNick

Awakened by the commotion, Ines looks to Lucky, hoping that her Gypsy talent with animals and Miss Carrow's pure love for the vixen will be able to keep her calm in the presence of the dogs.
OOC:   Charisma 10, +1 Animal Husbandry, +1 True Innocent, -3 Fear of Dogs (which might communicate itself to Lucky) = 9
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 6, success.  

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Might they like music?" suggests Henry. "The right song might keep them calm and perhaps help them fall asleep."

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Soothed by the dulcet tones of Miss Carrow's song, the curs soon retreat.

The journey continues without incident for some days. At a place where the coach is slowed somewhat by marshy ground, Tom becomes agitated as before.

"Third of four is the fire that burns not, a-hey. Let them as may gather so do."

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm
by SunlessNick

"Do you mean peat, Tom?" asks Ines.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The only reply is a sad shaking of the head to indicate that the suggested substance is not the correct one.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Fireflies, perhaps?" suggests Henry, racking his brain.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to this statement the bedeviled Tom once again temporarily regains his sense.

"Fill a flask with a sufficient number of these minuscule creatures to cast a fair light. Take care that they be provided with sufficient moisture and fresh air each day, without allowing them to escape, so that they may still provide the necessary glow when brought to the Cathedral."

He then relapses into his former state.

These insects being nocturnal and fond of damp places, it will be necessary to enter the marshland after sunset; an activity not entirely without hazard.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:41 pm
by Rooter

"I am willing to go firefly-hunting," Lila volunteers. "Do we have anything resembling a net? Perhaps something can be fashioned using one of Miss Carrow's lacy kerchiefs."

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This cleverly devised item being assembled by agile fingers, Miss Davenport, heedless of the way in which the moist ground might soil her boots and gown, heads out in search of the tiny and elusive creatures. As dusk fills the marsh with an eerie half-light, the curious pale glow known to the common folk as a will-o'-the-wisp, and to the learned as ignis fatuus, appears at a moderate distance. The sight calls to mind the words of John Milton from his magnum opus.

. . . a flame,
Which oft, they say, some evil Spirit attends,
Hovering and blazing with delusive light,
Misleads the amazed night-wanderer from his way
To bogs and mires, and oft through pond or pool;
There swallowed up and lost, from succour far.

There is also a soft, slithering sound coming from somewhere not far away. Its source is not immediately evident.

What manner of investigation or precaution these phenomena require is a matter to be considered.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think trying to chase will-o'-the-wisps would be a bad idea," says Henry. "We'd only end up getting lost. I think we should concentrate on finding the fireflies, but that slithering could be a snake. We should shed some light on the area, either the lantern or my Illuminator. When we do catch the fireflies, we can trap them in a jar and poke holes in the lid to keep them alive, but too small for them to escape. We'll need to put some water in there for them too."

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 am
by Rooter

"I have heard that fireflies are drawn to lights which mimic their own," Lila agrees. "Let us hold our position and try to bring the creatures to us rather than stumble around in the swamp." She takes out her small lantern and raises it aloft, moving the shutter back and forth in an attempt to imitate the fireflies' light.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:38 pm
by SunlessNick

Meanwhile, Ines keeps her eyes to the ground, trying to discern whether a snake or any other dangerous animal might be approaching. She urges Ivan to do the same, as two pairs of eyes are better suited to the task than one.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
These wise precautions protect the party from venomous adders which inhabit the marshy ground.

The fireflies thus obtained and cared for, the party rests for the night, their dreams uninterrupted by any disturbance.

As the next few days go by, Tom seems to have grown silent and introspective. It is not until they have reached London, a welcome sight after so much time spent abroad, that he again speaks.

"Last of four is the air none not green may breathe, a-hey. Then done is done, and poor Tom's a-home."

The adventurers will, of course, take time to restore themselves in this greatest of all cities.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could that be the air that plants breathe?" wonders Henry. "You mean fixed air? It was Dr. Joseph Black who determined that it's what animals - and men - breathe out. All we need do is exhale to produce it, though if we need greater quantities, I could use Dr. Black's method of heating limestone or Joseph Priestley's method to drip oil of vitriol on chalk to produce it, and then dissolve it in water. I could then use a sealed container to hold it."

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is no surprise that Doctor North's great familiarity with Natural Philosophy has yielded the correct answer. Once more sanity returns to the bedraggled old man.

"Assemble these four symbols of the Elements at the place where I slew the saint who bears my name. Then and only then will order be restored and I find eternal rest. But beware the jealous guardians!"

After this he lapses back into madness, and is unable to provide further information.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, it's clear what we must do," says Henry. "Once we collect some fixed air, we'll have all four Elements. Then we must travel to Canterbury and go to the spot where Thomas a Becket was slain with them. We'll just have to watch out for these guardians."

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 pm
by SunlessNick

"I at least must return to Rochester when we travel," says Ines in a melancholy tone. "The young woman, the Chevalier's former love, I must tell her that I failed her."

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This itinerary being decided upon, the adventurers will have adequate time to gather such materials as they wish, and otherwise prepare themselves for the journey ahead. In particular, it is a question worth pondering as to whether Miss Carrow had best remain in London -- perhaps arranging for future nuptials -- and thus avoid exposing herself to the unknown dangers of the quest, or accompany the party and continue to provide inspiration for the others.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry does not want Elizabeth placed in further danger, but he also doesn't want to exclude her if she does wish to accompany them to Canterbury, so he asks her whether she would prefer to remain in London or go with them. He also writes a letter to his patient to let him know that he has returned to England and will pay him a visit when he can.
OOC,I'm not sure if that is on the way to Canterbury or not. I can't even remember who he is or where he lives, it was so long ago.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I believe that Ines is referring to one of the many random subplots I've improvised for this adventure. The character is question is actually Pierre LaMont. Long story short: Ines encountered a woman in Rochester claiming to carry his child who thought he was dead, and wished her to carry a letter acknowledging his paternity to his family. The party encountered his mother in France, and discovered that he was kept locked up in their chateau, as he was subject to fits of madness after having fallen off a horse and hit his head. When last seen, he was left at the Sorbonne with the best medical care available in hopes of effecting a cure.

Rochester would not be very much out of the way on a trip to Canterbury.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
I don't think Lila has anything outstanding from before.

Doctor North might be referring to the patient he treated for gout just before leaving for France. I managed to find the letter he got:

My Lord,

I regret to inform you that Mister Beddows' condition has worsened. Far from relieving his gout, the nostrum you prepared for him has led to extended periods of internal upset. I have volunteered to send this message to you on his behalf, fearing that, left to his own devices, his letter would prove intemperate. If you are ever in the vicinity of Lancaster upon another occasion, perhaps you would be kind enough to attempt some other remedy.

In haste,

Mary Jones, Nurse

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I see. Lancaster would be quite far out of the way.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:16 pm
by Rooter

While back in London, Lila sends a note of regards to the mysterious Mrs. Piper, whose warnings led them to France.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 pm
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
I believe that Ines is referring to one of the many random subplots I've improvised for this adventure. The character is question is actually Pierre LaMont. Long story short: Ines encountered a woman in Rochester claiming to carry his child who thought he was dead, and wished her to carry a letter acknowledging his paternity to his family. The party encountered his mother in France, and discovered that he was kept locked up in their chateau, as he was subject to fits of madness after having fallen off a horse and hit his head. When last seen, he was left at the Sorbonne with the best medical care available in hopes of effecting a cure.

Rochester would not be very much out of the way on a trip to Canterbury.
Spoiler:
Yes, that is who I was referring to. Though the news is bad, Ines cannot shirk delivering it.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is not unexpected that some time passes whilst various letters are exchanged throughout the kingdom.

Perhaps it is also no great surprise to discover, via a short reply from the nurse Mary Jones, that Mister Beddows has succumbed to the disease from which he suffered so. Requiescat in pace.

With some help from her companions, Ines is able to compose a letter directed to the young woman whom she encountered at the Six Poor Travellers House in Rochester. The person in question having gone elsewhere in the meantime, there is only a brief reply from the proprietor, stating that her present whereabouts are unknown to him.

Miss Davenport composes a letter to Mrs. Piper, relating the strange adventures she has shared with her companions. That lady does not appear to be very surprised by much that has occurred. Strange woman! However, she expresses great interest in the fate of the fellow known only as "poor Tom," and is able to supply a small bit of information as to the hazards the party may face in their effort to provide him with eternal rest.

The guardians of whom this wretched figure speaks will most likely be of four kinds, one associated with each element, in keeping with the Law of Balance. I suggest you make whatsoever preparations that may seem appropriate to deal with such manifestations.
Spoiler:
This is the time to obtain whatever supplies, within reason, you may desire. I will allow you to decide amongst yourselves whether Miss Carrow should come with you or not. I will be off for a day, then be back for a couple of days. At that time I will probably start a new chapter.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry collects various things to aid them. In addition to replacing his confiscated pistol, he collects a bellows, which might be useful against the guardian of Air, and a bag full of sand that could be of help against the guardian of Fire.
OOC,I'm going to be away myself from tomorrow through Sunday. Yes, that was the patient to which I referred.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:05 am
by Rooter

Beside the obvious step of packing torches to make natural fire, Lila consults her tomes on Demonology for any references to what happened at Canterbury or element-specific substances which may aid them.
Spoiler:
Intelligence 11[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Regarding Miss Carrow, I say we leave her since she isn't being played anymore plus with Ines, Dr. North, Ivan and Lila we would have four for the four guardians.