Page 1 of 1

Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrophe

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrophe; Or, Mysteries Unsolved

Given the destruction visited upon Highdark Hall by the series of tremors, it is a relief to discover that the injuries received by servants and family alike are of a minor nature. Doctor North's services are welcome by those suffering from bruises and small wounds. There is, to be sure, much chaos and excited conversation among those gathered without the stately home, the moods of those assembled varying from fear to distraction to excitement, as if this event were excuse for merry-making. Notable among these are Lord Highdark, being comforted by son and wife, and Georgina, receiving the same tender treatment from husband and feline companion. (Said beast, with all the cunning of her kind, having found a secure hiding place at the start of the disaster.)

In time, some of the servants, bound more to duty than their peers, enter the manor home and begin the long and tedious process of repairing what can be and discarding what cannot. After some wandering about aimlessly, the madwoman encounters the twins, who act as if this situation were no more than a holiday. Upon catching sight of the doll Poppy, she attempts to wrest it from their grasp; a task which proves impossible, as if the children possess more than the strength expected from those of such a young age, and which leads to a serious degree of conflict, the three rolling about of the ground and striking at each other with hand and foot.

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrop

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"If she gets the doll," whispers Henry to his companions, "the twins may finally be free of its influence. One way or the other, we should put a stop to this before they get hurt."

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 am
by jp1885

Lepus stands back as the trio fight over the doll, wary of it's pernicious influence. Deciding that it is better for the twins to be free of the thing, he shouts something in the faerie tongue in the hopes of distracting Poppy.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]"The Ancient One has been bested oh Fae! The bride has been jilted and thou schemes have come to nought! Dost thou not wish to embrace to thy former ally?"[/color][/i]

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus stands back as the trio fight over the doll, wary of it's pernicious influence. Deciding that it is better for the twins to be free of the thing, he shouts something in the faerie tongue in the hopes of distracting Poppy.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]"The Ancient One has been bested oh Fae! The bride has been jilted and thou schemes have come to nought! Dost thou not wish to embrace to thy former ally?"[/color][/i]
Spoiler:
CHA = 11 + 3 for Attractive to Fairies = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Onlookers may observe that the trio of combatants cease their battle of a sudden; although, given the circumstances, they may have been paying little, if any, attention to the melee. Be that as it may, the twins and their aunt stand still, in a state of apparent calm, the poppet dangling from their hands, as it is currently grasped by all; one twin holding on to each arm, and its head in the fist of the madwoman. It almost seems as if they are deliberately holding it in a way which causes its blank porcelain eyes to face in the direction of Lepus.
Spoiler:
Thou see where none have eyes, hear where none have ears. Speak, then, of what thou desire.
Great power shall be thine if thou doth serve me faithfully.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am
by jp1885

Lepus bows, taking the faerie’s words as a compliment.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]”Old Lepus shall speak truly oh fae; thou knowest when falsehoods be spoken. Your slave I shall not be, for that way lies madness and a grave in the attic. Instead old Lepus shall offer thee a deal: free these three from your thrall and we shall seek to free thee from the prison that is yon doll. Dost thou not wish to return to thine own kind?”[/color][/i]

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:15 pm
by SunlessNick
The family are tending to one another, but the last William saw of the French magician, he had suffered grievous injury - thus his first act is to check on Vincent and see how he fares. After that, it would appear prudent to report to Lord and Lady Highdark what occurred beneath the house.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry observes, Ivan at his side, ready to assist Lepus if he needs help, but deferring to the strange man's expertise.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Vincent is recovering as well as might be expected, given the grievous injury wrought by the creature. Upon relating the adventurer's experiences, Lord Highdark is quick to dismiss them as mere fancy; Lady Highdark, on the other hand, directs a few of the hardier menservants to seal up the pit, and construct another one, in a different location, to accommodate kitchen offal, night soil, and other such offensive matter. This work will, of course, take some days.

Young Harold, showing much interest in the strange tale, hypothesizes that there must be some connection among the pit, which is known to contain a natural source of flowing water -- the reason it was chosen for its purpose -- the Misty Tarn, the Grotto Pool, and the Worried Stream that flows between them.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus bows, taking the faerie’s words as a compliment.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]”Old Lepus shall speak truly oh fae; thou knowest when falsehoods be spoken. Your slave I shall not be, for that way lies madness and a grave in the attic. Instead old Lepus shall offer thee a deal: free these three from your thrall and we shall seek to free thee from the prison that is yon doll. Dost thou not wish to return to thine own kind?”[/color][/i]
Spoiler:
How doth thou propose to work such? 'Tis a purpose not easily won, and fraught with peril for mortal flesh.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:38 pm
by jp1885

Lepus shrugs, as if mortal peril was but a trifle.
Victoria,[color=#008000][i]“All lives end sooner or later fae lady. ‘tis the challenge of such a task as I propose that makes a life worth the living. Wilt thou be my companion, mayhap my friend, and embark upon this on equal terms? Dost thou release these three and travel with Old Lepus?”[/i][/color]
The hedge wizard holds out his hand, as if to be handed the doll.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Never friend, for none of mortal kind may claim such with I. Yet may thou be of use for a time, 'til, as thy holy men say when joining hand to hand under thy God, 'death does us part;' though whose death this may be none may yet say. Come, then, and be as blade to swordsman; a thing to be cared for so long as it proves its worth to the wielder.
With little concern for that which they formerly held on to with the fierceness of wild beasts, the twins leave the doll called Poppy upon the ground, ready to be taken up by whosoever wishes. For a moment, their aunt gazes at it with with more intensity than would be thought proper; yet this state of seeming monomania soon passes, and the lady takes the two children into the manor home, one clinging to each hand.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am
by jp1885

"Aye, 'tis agreed."

Grinning, Lepus turns to his companions.

"The fae lady and I have reached an accord. She hath freed yon females from her thrall in exchange for the company of Old Lepus. 'twill be my task to free her from her prison," he nods at the doll, "during the course of our adventures."

He moves to pick up the doll, but pauses.

"Be on the alert, fine companions, lest she plays me false."

Stooping, he picks up Poppy and, if nothing untoward happens, stuffs her into a pocket so that her head is poking out.

"I trust you be comfortable, fae lady? How may I address thee now we are together?"

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:38 pm
by SunlessNick
"A well done step," William says of Lepus's bargain. "As to our other matter, I believe there may be something in young Harold's suggestion of a connection between the pit beneath the house, the Tarn and the Grotto. It may be that we can snag our shrunken adversary there."

When he has a chance to speak to Lord Dunwich and Vincent outside the Gypsy's hearing, he will say, "Elizabeth Altumber was willing to go to the creature as its bride, while she was yet in thrall to the doll. That may simply have been her madness, but we must consider the possibility that the spirit in the doll is in league with with the other. But I fear that to raise the subject in Lepus's hearing would allow the spirit hear it too."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, at last the Altumbers are free of its influence," says Henry, "We shall find a way to free the fae lady as well. For now, we should proceed to the Grotto. If the Ancient One is not there, we can trace the course of the water."

"That is a good point," says Henry when he speaks to William later. "We shall keep it mind, but not give voice to it where she can hear."

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "Aye, 'tis agreed."

Grinning, Lepus turns to his companions.

"The fae lady and I have reached an accord. She hath freed yon females from her thrall in exchange for the company of Old Lepus. 'twill be my task to free her from her prison," he nods at the doll, "during the course of our adventures."

He moves to pick up the doll, but pauses.

"Be on the alert, fine companions, lest she plays me false."

Stooping, he picks up Poppy and, if nothing untoward happens, stuffs her into a pocket so that her head is poking out.

"I trust you be comfortable, fae lady? How may I address thee now we are together?"
Spoiler:
Wouldst think to have true name so easy bespoke? Nay, fore that knowledge be given thee stone will burn and mountain walk. Think thyself fortunate enough to draw breath whilst many live not. On!

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party makes their way to the Grotto whilst the Altumbers and their servants labor to bring order out of chaos as best they may. The place is much as it was before, save that the many flowers strewn about have faded; as indeed, we all must. There are many places where the wax of candles long extinguished covers the smooth and slippery rocks bordering the pool of water in the center of the Grotto. It is not immediately evident to the observer in what manner the pool is filled, or whither its waters are discharged, it appearing quite still at first glance, closer investigation required to determine anything else.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am
by jp1885

Lepus nods.

"Poppy it be then."

He follows the others to the grotto.

"Should we venture onto the Misty Tarn," he says conversationally, "Mayhap the rune found in yon Wormy Caves will drive away the restless spirits that lurk on the isle."

He joins in the search, looking for any unusual signs, runes or traces of the Ancient One. Once the cave is searched, he will peer into the pool.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let us get a closer look," says Henry. "We should examine the pool and the surrounding area for any trace of the fell thing."

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
dex rolls for all, first of all. Henry = 10, Ivan = 9, William = 12, Vincent = 9, Lepus = 15. In that order, [dice]0[/dice]
Whilst approaching the seemingly still pool, Doctor North and Lepus both slide upon the slippery rocks and fall into the water. (Perhaps the learned Doctor's curiosity got the best of him, and the need to retain a firm hold on the poppet distracted Lepus from taking sufficient care.) The water proves to be very cold, almost as if it were ice rather than liquid. Emerging from the pool with the aid of their companions, the ill-matched pair have, at the cost of sopping wet clothing, at least determined that the water is supplied through many small springs, located just below the surface, producing a not unpleasant sensation whilst submerged. In addition to this, it is possible to tell that a large opening to one side of the pool leads to what must be quite a large cavern indeed, the gentle flow of water indicating that the cavern is only partly filled by the outpour.
Spoiler:
WIS rolls only for those who were actually in the water; North = 11, Lepus = 18[dice]1[/dice]
In addition to these discoveries, the experience that Lepus possesses with otherworldly charms and enchantments allows him to determine that some sort of spell has been cast upon the opening to the cavern, which allows one to pass through it for some distance without the need for respiration.

Whilst discussing these discoveries, the party cannot help but notice that Doctor North and Lepus are shivering and sneezing, obviously afflicted with ague from the cold water.
Spoiler:
In this universe, being cold and wet is the cause of a bad cold. Anyone who enters the water, by choice or accident, reduce CON by one until able to rest for several days while undergoing a treatment of warm baths and inhalation of steam.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:28 pm
by jp1885

Teeth chattering, Lepus relays his discovery to the others.

”We should investigate, yesno? Though mayhap a long stout rope would be useful in order to climb out, him?”

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 pm
by SunlessNick
"Are you both well enough to continue immediately?" asks William. "And perhaps Ivan should remain behind to assist those returning."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I can proceed," says Henry. "I am wet already, so I may as well. I can treat our colds after today's adventure is done. Ivan shall remain on dry ground and pull us out with the rope when we're ready to leave."

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:10 am
by jp1885

“Aye, old Lepus says the same.”

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Undaunted by the natural shocks, as the melancholy Dane put it, that flesh is heir to, the bold adventurers make their way into the chill waters of the pool, kept secure by a stout rope, easily obtained from the stables, held firmly in the mighty grip of Ivan. This aquatic venture is soon richly rewarded, as the explorers realize that, while in the pool, they feel no need to inhale the invisible, life-giving vapors of the air, but are as comfortable within the water as any member of the finny tribe. The effect is a brief one, as they quickly make their way into the hidden cavern beyond the pool, which is large enough to provide a place where one may sit upon relatively dry ground, as if one were on holiday by the seashore. Only a small amount of blue-tinged light penetrates from the grotto, illuminating the cavern in a dim and eerie fashion. Voices echo within the cavern, carved by Nature herself from the surrounding rock. A slow-moving underground stream flows from the grotto and is soon lost to sight in the darkness beyond this antechamber to what seems to be a stone labyrinth of unknown dimension.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:43 am
by jp1885

Lepus pauses, taking in his surroundings. Rifling through his many pockets, he mutters strange words while placing a broken pipe stem into an upturned portion of an animal skull.

A talisman of ‘know direction’ thus created, he feels confident that he will be able to navigate the tunnels.

Having found one cave decorated with runes, he asks Vincent to create a flame so that they might examine the walls.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 am
by Rooter
Vincent, still recovering from his injury, busies himself in lighting the candles in the grotto with a magical flame.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:00 pm
by SunlessNick
William left his pistol behind with Ivan (and recommended others do the same) as the water would ruin the powder, and quite possibly the assemblies. Other than that, he examines this new cave for other exits, and any signs of human presence - the presence of this spell implies that someone wished to have access to the cave, possibly regular access since it was left there permanently.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry has also left his pistol with Ivan. Once there is enough light, he examines the runes to see if he can interpret them.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Now that the gift of light has rendered the interior of this cavern visible to the human eye, it can be seen that the walls are full of crude inscriptions, in a variety of languages, some very familiar and some not. Those which are decipherable are, for the most part, variations on the words "I was here." Several dates, some going back a few centuries, are also written upon the walls, evidently with bits of charcoal and the like. It is evident that many have passed this way. What fate became of such, one cannot say.

Drawing the most interest is a roughly drawn map, left behind by some brave explorer, not entirely without some degree of artistic merit.

A few minutes of study make it clear that the adventurers are now standing in an area just below that shown by the map, and that the system of caves continues onward as shown. It is unmistakable that the central part of the diagram indicates a bridge which must be crossed to reach the more distant part of the caverns; but what meaning is to be assigned to the letter S, or what is indicated by the five-pointed stars inscribed in circles, and other such markings, is unknown.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 am
by jp1885

Studying the map, Lepus lines up his talisman, so that he knows which way leads north and thus whence direction the other passageways lead.

He considers questioning Poppy about the labyrinth, but suspects that she will only pipe up with assistance if it is to her benefit. Plus it would not do to become too reliant on such a Fae personage.

Wringing out some of his rags, he grins at the others.

"Forward, yesno?"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:12 pm
by SunlessNick
"Yes," says William. "I propose we chech the two nearer side caves before attempting the bridge, it it remains."

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Henry. "We should first write our own messages and the date on the wall. It seems the thing to do. I believe the letter S on the map denotes secret passages. If so, we need not cross the bridge at all. The tunnel to the right has one leading into another chamber, which then comes out on the far side of the bridge. First we should check the left passage, which looks to be a dead end."

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party advances in the direction chosen by consensus.

The passage to the left is of no great size, but sufficient to allow the adventurers to enter in single file. Stalactites and stalagmites, those curious formations which Nature has chosen to conceal within the Earth, cause the party to move slowly and with great caution. Constant dripping sounds echo throughout the caverns. Occasional bright reflections of candlelight, from certain shiny minerals located on the cave walls, appear like lonely stars in an empty night sky.

At the far end of the passage stand two pillars of small stones. These are clearly of human manufacture, created by the simple placing of one stone upon another. They are about a foot high or so, and there is an unusually smooth place on the ground between them, about the width of a man's hand.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 am
by jp1885

In a sloping, spidery hand, Lepus scrawls his name with the others before scribbling 'Poppy' in an approximation of faerie script.

Following his comrades to the left, he scrutinises the pillars.

"Yon gap be meant for a hand or foot, mayhap?

Not wishing to risk an appendage, he fishes a stick from out of his rags and, twitching slightly, pokes the space between the pillars gingerly.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry observes carefully to see what happens. "Perhaps a specific object is meant to be placed there," he hypothesizes.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:23 am
by SunlessNick
"Hopefully not the staff," William observes.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is no apparent effect produced by placing the stick between the two small stone pillars. The commotion caused by the party causes a few crickets, beetles, and other such small vermin to emerge from their hiding places, revealing the fact that there are numerous soft areas of sandy material within the rocky floor of the cavern.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:50 am
by jp1885

Noticing the vermin, and thence the softer areas of the floor, Lepus attempts to mark them out with the stick.
WIS 18 to make out any patterns,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:52 am
by Rooter
Vincent frowns as he studies the curious arrangement of stones, attempting to determine if they possess some esoteric significance.
Spoiler:
Intelligence 9 + 1 Esoteric Knowledge
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"It could be an item found elsewhere in these caves," says Henry. "If nobody has any further ideas, we should explore the right tunnel next."

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 pm
by SunlessNick
"I agree," says William.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:17 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Noticing the vermin, and thence the softer areas of the floor, Lepus attempts to mark them out with the stick.
WIS 18 to make out any patterns,[dice]227705:0[/dice]
Lepus notices that the softer areas of the cavern floor, more sandy than rocky, mark out a rough circle just in front of the two pillars, about the size of a punch bowl.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:19 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent frowns as he studies the curious arrangement of stones, attempting to determine if they possess some esoteric significance.
Spoiler:
[dice]227708:0[/dice]
The French magician is able to determine that the arrangement of the stones has no preternatural meaning; rather, it appears to be an entirely mundane way of leaving a message.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:23 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst their companions study the pillars of stones and the ground near them, Doctor North and Captain Palliser investigate the cavern on the right. They pass by a particularly tall stalagmite on their left, and note several boulders of moderate size in an alcove to the right. Otherwise, this chamber appears to be unconnected to any other, save the way they came in.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry examines the portion of the wall represented by the letter "S" on the map, tapping the wall to find any hollow spots, searching for mechanisms or some sort of secret passage.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:53 am
by jp1885

Lepus points out the circular area to the others nearby. He looks around for a rock of similar size and, presuming he can find one and can carry it, places it on the spot by way of an experiment.

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:02 am
by SunlessNick
William listens rather than looks, remaining alert for any danger that might be approaching from the the directions the party has yet to explore.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry examines the portion of the wall represented by the letter "S" on the map, tapping the wall to find any hollow spots, searching for mechanisms or some sort of secret passage.
It is hardly surprising to discover that the place so indicated produces a sound much like a large drum when one strikes it firmly; beyond this, there is no obvious mechanism or manner of opening it.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus points out the circular area to the others nearby. He looks around for a rock of similar size and, presuming he can find one and can carry it, places it on the spot by way of an experiment.
With a soft, almost whispering sound, the said stone sinks into the ground, where it is soon lost to sight. In a moment the ground appears as if it had been entirely undisturbed.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:William listens rather than looks, remaining alert for any danger that might be approaching from the the directions the party has yet to explore.
Given the cathedral-like interior of the caverns, one must expect that the softest whisper, or the most delicate movement of one's foot upon the sand and gravel covering the ground, produces echoing sounds louder than one would expect under different circumstances. In addition to these, there are occasional rapid, high-pitched, sharply defined sounds, reflected from the surrounding rock walls in such manner as to make their exact source impossible to determine.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 pm
by jp1885

Lepus mutters a warning to avoid stepping on any sandy areas. Avoiding the circle himself, he examines the stacks to see if he can work out their purpose.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a secret passage here all right," says Henry. "I can't find a mechanism to open it in the wall, but perhaps the answer is elsewhere in this cavern or in the one with the pillars. Lepus or Vincent may be able to apply their expertise. The stick would have allowed us to pass through the wall, but now it's just so much kindling, and good riddance too."

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus mutters a warning to avoid stepping on any sandy areas. Avoiding the circle himself, he examines the stacks to see if he can work out their purpose.
Close examination of the two pillars reveals that, through clever arrangement of one upon another, it is possible to rotate each individual stone about its center, without needing to disturb the position of the others. Experimentation with such movement leads inevitably to the conclusion that such must be done handsomely, lest the structures topple through carelessness. This might be thought merely a child's game, without method or purpose, were it not for the fact that each time a stone is turned, a peculiar sound, much like some great engine, is heard creaking from within the walls of the cavern itself.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:17 am
by jp1885

Muttering and twitching slightly , Lepus gingerly rotates the stones, trying to ascertain a pattern. Perhaps, if he can align them correctly, the stoned will open the secret passages?
INT 15,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Muttering and twitching slightly , Lepus gingerly rotates the stones, trying to ascertain a pattern. Perhaps, if he can align them correctly, the stoned will open the secret passages?
INT 15,[dice]227987:0[/dice]
By carefully observing certain chips upon the stones, seemingly the work of human hands and not of Nature, and aligning them, it is possible to cause previously unseen passages between the caverns to open, much in the same way as a drawbridge of former days, and then to close them again. In particular, a passageway between the first cavern to the right, and, previously unseen, a chamber beyond it, is now revealed, with many a loud creaking sound, as of hinges rusty with time. (Similar noises are heard coming from more distant areas, but as of yet these remain unseen.)

This room is notable for a group of curiously formed stalagmites to the right upon first entering.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
There are half a dozen of these, close to one another, each about the height of a tall man and shaped in such a way as to remind one of a crudely carved human figure.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:46 pm
by SunlessNick
Mentally shaking his head at the superstition the events of these past weeks have seemingly instilled in him, William wonders aloud whether these stalactites might be men somehow petrified.

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:04 pm
by jp1885

Lepus capers with glee as gears grind and the secret passage opens. He grins at the others before looking down at the doll in his pocket.

"'tis a clever mechanism yesno? Didst thou know of this place Poppy?"

He looks up at the ceiling. If there are stalagmites on the floor, surely there should be stalactites above?

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry is of a similar mind. "There may be a gorgon, or something akin to it, in these caves," he says, readying a mirror just in case. "These could very well be fellow explorers turned to stone by its gaze. Like Perseus, we must be prepared to reflect that gaze back at it."

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus capers with glee as gears grind and the secret passage opens. He grins at the others before looking down at the doll in his pocket.

"'tis a clever mechanism yesno? Didst thou know of this place Poppy?"
Spoiler:
Aye, for 'tis here one must make sacrifice, that I be set free. Think not to turn coward, for thy way back is denied thee.
He looks up at the ceiling. If there are stalagmites on the floor, surely there should be stalactites above?
There are indeed such structures, from some of which the slow dripping of water, nearly as white as milk as a result of the minerals suspended in the liquid, splashes upon the ground, forming tiny pools. Whilst taking note of this interesting phenomenon, the party is alarmed to hear a loud crashing noise, as the ground shakes as it did before, although reason dictates this is not likely to be the work of the same tentacled creature as formerly encountered, due to its current reduction in size. Be it the whim of capricious Nature, or some other cause, the result is unmistakable; large boulders now block the entrance into these caverns. As if by design, only minor changes occur in the other parts of the caverns, a few of the smaller stalactites breaking off the ceiling and falling to the ground.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 am
by jp1885

“‘‘twas the agreement, was it not, that neither would play each other false?” Lepus asks the doll. “Say what must be done.”

He turns to the others.

“The way back be blocked. The doll will have old Lepus make a sacrifice in return for freeing the twins from her influence. If these be my final moments, the it has been a pleasure to know thee.”

He bows deeply.

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I truly hope that will not be necessary," says Henry. "Cave systems usually have multiple entrances and exits, so there may yet be another way out of here. If we cannot go back, we must go forward."

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 pm
by SunlessNick
"Your life is worth more than that creature's whims," says William flatly.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“‘‘twas the agreement, was it not, that neither would play each other false?” Lepus asks the doll. “Say what must be done.”

He turns to the others.

“The way back be blocked. The doll will have old Lepus make a sacrifice in return for freeing the twins from her influence. If these be my final moments, the it has been a pleasure to know thee.”

He bows deeply.
Spoiler:
I spake not of thy life, little as that be worth, but of the service thou must perform. Gaze upon yon pool of darkness, across which bridge doth run. It must be appeased with such creature as doth dwell herein. Find such a one, defeat it, and send it living into the waters! Then shall thou be rid of me.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After this brief discussion, heavy slow footsteps, as of something of great size walking deeper within the cavern, echo throughout the chamber. In a moment, the far side of the cave to the right, at the point marked on the map with another S, shudders in time with the sound of mighty blows, as if a being of great strength were beating upon the stone wall from the other side, wishing to enter.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am
by jp1885

“Old Lepus’ life may be worthless to thee, fae lady...” the hedge wizard chuckles.

He looks up as the cave in wall shudders under mighty blows.

Poppy says whatever ‘tis that breaketh through must be bested and thrown living into the abyss under yonder bridge. We should make haste to prepare.”

Muttering various protective charms to himself, he inspects the stalagmites, keeping an eye out for any sandy patches on the floor.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:38 pm
by Rooter
"I will create an Obscuring Mist around us in hope to confuse ze beast's sight," Vincent says and mutters an incantation to this effect.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:19 pm
by SunlessNick
William draws his sword.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry, who had been unable to bring his pistols into the cave because the water would have ruined the powder, grips his cane and checks his devices. "In that case, we must retreat to the chasm's edge and get it to follow us," he says.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:45 am
by SunlessNick
"A sensible thought, Your Lordship," says William. "Perhaps you three should go now and find places to wait. I shall follow when the thing comes through the wall - with luck it will believe I am its only adversary until it reaches the dangerous ground."

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As his three companions make haste to withdraw as agreed, William witnesses the stone wall ahead of him break apart, as if it were no more than a child's castle of sand washed away by the tide. Standing in the opening, gazing about, is what appears to me a man of great size; perhaps eight or nine feet tall, barely able to stand in the cavern hunched over. His skin is pale wherever it is not darkened with filth. His only garment is a rag wrapped about his loins, such as savage dwellers in the tropical parts of the world are said to wear. His face is nearly hidden behind long, tangled hair that droops over his forehead and hangs down his back, as well as a beard reaching nearly to his belly. These hirsute growths are of a blazing red color, where not caked with dirt. Peeking out between hair and a large nose, obviously broken more than once in the past, are a pair of startlingly blue eyes. The fellow's limbs are in proportion to his great height, and his fingernails are long and sharp. His catches sight of William and speaks in a voice of thunder.

"Who. You."

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm
by jp1885

Lepus watches from his hiding place as the huge man lumbers forward. He searches the labyrinthine passages and seldom-visited chambers of his memory in an attempt to identify the fellow (red-bearded troglodyte giants being somewhat uncommon no doubt!)
INT 15 (+3 occult knowledge possibly?),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:48 pm
by SunlessNick
"I am Captain William Palliser. And with whom do I speak?"" William begins backing away slowly, in the hopes of luring the giant to where the others wait.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"He might have been dosed with the enlargement potion," whispers Henry. "Whether or not he was, the diminution potion would bring him down to size if we could get him to drink it. If we truly need to make him fall in the chasm, we could always pour water on the ground on the way to the edge to make him slide off of it, but I do not trust that doll."

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"I am Captain William Palliser. And with whom do I speak?"" William begins backing away slowly, in the hopes of luring the giant to where the others wait.

"Me. Gog," the fellow replies, thumping his chest with a massive fist, producing a sound not unlike of a bass drum. He squints at the new arrival.

"You. Bring. Food? Woman?"

The time that Lepus spends on meditating upon the huge man produces a single piece of knowledge, to wit: that the name claimed by him is a derivative of Gogmagog, the designation of a legendary giant said to dwell in Albion millenia ago. For whatever it might be worth to know, that mythical being was said to be of much greater size than the self-named Gog; besides, according to the noted Historia Regum Britanniae of Geoffrey of Monmouth, Gogmagog was slain in ancient times, not long after Aeneas fled Troy.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 pm
by jp1885

“Can this really be the Gogmagog of yore?” Lepus wonders.

“Fae lady, how came this brute to be thine enemie?”

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:48 am
by SunlessNick
"I fear I did not," says William. "I did not expect to find anyone here. Is this place your home?"

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Somehow I thought he would be taller," muses Henry. "Perhaps he's already had a diminution potion. Or perhaps the legends exaggerated his height. Goliath was easily a span taller than him."

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 am
by Rooter
At the mention of food Vincent searches his pockets. The nearest he has among his equipment is a small skin of wine which he proffers as either an offering should the capitaine require it or bait for the docteur's suggestion.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:Image

“Can this really be the Gogmagog of yore?” Lepus wonders.

“Fae lady, how came this brute to be thine enemie?”
Spoiler:
The Dweller in the Waters cares not for such as he or thee, only that It be paid tribute! What finer gift than flesh and blood of one so great? Send him living into the Waters and free me, if thou wouldst fancy reward.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"I fear I did not," says William. "I did not expect to find anyone here. Is this place your home?"

The giant nods slowly.

"Live. Here. No. Can. Leave."

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:At the mention of food Vincent searches his pockets. The nearest he has among his equipment is a small skin of wine which he proffers as either an offering should the capitaine require it or bait for the docteur's suggestion.

The giant sniffs the air curiously.

"Me. Smell. Drink. Not. See. Where?"

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 pm
by jp1885

“Ah, old Lepus sees it,” the wanderer mutters as he warily eyes the giant.

“Thou playest the Altumbers into the Ancient One’s maw so that thou can be freed. Denied this, thou chooses yonder brute even though he be blameless, yesno? Such a thing sits ill with old Lepus.”

He straightens up, coming to a decision.

“Come fae lady, let us introduce ourselves.”

Propping the doll up in his pocket so that she can see out, he grins apologetically at his friends, steps out from his hiding place, walks towards Gog and bows.

“We. Get. Food. If you. Lower. Me. In. Black water.”

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry observes carefully to see how the giant responds.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Squinting at Lepus, Gog shrugs his shoulders and sniffs at the fellow.

"Me. Think. You. Not. Like. Water. But. Me. Take. You."

He lifts Lepus up as if he were no more than a plaything, with surprising gentleness for one of such stature; evidently he means to do no harm to him. In a few booming steps they reach the edge of the water. Gog peers into its depths. The bridge over the ebon pool creaks, set to rocking by the giant's footsteps.

"Water. Bad. Take. Away. Good. Smell. You. Want. In?"

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm
by jp1885

Lepus peers into the water, looking between it and his friends for inspiration. He has no wish to harm the giant, but he knows double-crossing the doll might also have dire consequences.

“You. Good. Man.” he tells Gog as he fishes Poppy out of his pocket. “Spirit. In. Doll. Want. You. In. Water. I. Say. No! I. Go. Instead.”

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:04 pm
by SunlessNick
William does not sheathe his sword yet, but the giant does not seem hostile - indeed almost innocent in his way - so he keeps the blade low and to his side, making no threatening gestures with it. He does think one obvious possibility has been neglected though: "Would it not be better to simply cast doll and spirit into the water, and giveno man's life to it?"

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. "This large fellow has done no wrong that I can see, and that doll has been nothing but trouble."

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst this whispered conversation continues, producing a kind of low, whistling echo within the twisting corridors of the cavern, and as Gog scratches his head with a thick, long, filthy fingernail in an evident state of confusion, much of what Lepus has said to him going far over his head, the surface of the black water grows visibly disturbed, as if it contains a large school of fish, either in search of food or, contrariwise, attempting to flee whatsoever would feed upon them. (This is mere conjecture, to be sure, as no such creatures can actually be detected, only the movement of the water.) Deep in what passes for thought within his shaggy head, Gog absently taps one mighty, unshod foot upon the nearest part of the bridge, sending it swaying back and forth, as well as occasionally splashing into the water (which, by the by, may at least partially explain its disturbed condition.)

"What. Me. Do?" Gog makes inquiry thus, evidently having some dim understanding that the small humans within his domicile possess contradictory opinions as to whether Poppy or Lepus should enter the dark waters of the pool, or, indeed, if some other action be taken.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 am
by jp1885

“Old Lepus knows not the true nature of the doll, save she be a powerful fae. By releasing the young mistresses from her thrall, this fool,” he taps his chest, “hath entered into a compact to release her from her prison. The consequences of reneging on the deal would be bad.”

The wanderer sniffs.

“To throw the doll into the water, thou must take her forcibly from old Lepus. ‘tis a shame my grasp be weak...”

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I too lack strength," says Henry, "and Ivan is waiting outside." He turns to the giant and smiles. "I say, you certainly look strong. Can you take that doll away from my friend and throw it in the water?"

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 am
by Rooter
Vincent holds up the skin of wine and adds, "If you can you will have good drink, non?"

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With a wide grin that reveals many crooked, yellow teeth of unusual size, Gog reaches for the poppet.

"Me. Strong. Like. Drink."

That declaration of pride and desire completed, the giant grips Poppy in his mighty fingers, the way a person of ordinary stature might seize a pin. With a grunt of surprise, as if this seemingly simple task proves more difficult than presumed, Gog pulls at the doll with all his strength, the object in question apparently reluctant to leave its current owner (if that designation be not, indeed, the reverse of the truth.)
Spoiler:
str = 15[dice]0[/dice]
With a final effort, the huge muscles of his arm bulging like newly created hills upon the Earth, Gog manages to wrest the doll away from Lepus; the latter-named experiencing a sensation as if a portion of the skin of his hand had been torn away, although there is no such visible damage. The giant peers at the poppet for a moment, apparently deep in thought.
Spoiler:
wis = 9[dice]1[/dice]
A dazed look comes into his blazing blue eyes. Gripping Poppy close to his hairy chest, he growls at the adventurers and shakes his fist at them.

"You. Bad. Gog. Hurt!"

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 pm
by jp1885

Groaning in frustration, Lepus pulls at his beard.

“Nay! Now the fae lady commands yon giant! She will compel him to throw us into the water! Least now our compact is broken and not by my design. Ready your magick le sorcier, ready your potion my lord, ready your fists soldier!”

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:23 pm
by SunlessNick
William makes one attempt to talk the giant down, though he tightens his grip on his sword hilt as he does so. "A few moments ago, she demanded we throw you into that water, Gog - she is the bad one here."

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Instead of fighting," suggests Henry quietly, "we should retreat across the bridge. When he tries to follow us, the bridge may break under his weight. If not, William's sword will cut it free. We can always return through the secret passage later."

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:36 pm
by jp1885

Lepus capers a little. “Aye, hehe, a canny notion! If we can save the life of the big man, then all the better!”

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:02 pm
by SunlessNick
William retreats across the bridge as Lord Dunwich suggests.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry too crosses the bridge after William, trying to time it so that no more than one of them is on the bridge at the same time in case it cannot support both of their weight. "Alea iacta est," he quotes.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This clever strategy being agreed upon by all, the adventurers, one by one, make their way across the swaying wooden bridge, its surface made slippery by fungal growths and the increasingly frenzied agitation of the water.
Spoiler:
DEX rolls. Henry = 10, William = 12 + 1 for profession of soldier in danger = 13, Vincent = 9, Lepus = 15[dice]228518:0[/dice]
It is perhaps surprising that the bold man of arms and the wily Gypsy should happen to lose their footing, whilst the scholar and the enchanter make their way to safety. Such are the whims of the Fates. Let us hope that Atropos does not wield her shears.

The unfortunate pair are able to swim out of the black water, but not before an unseen something thrashes at them from below.
Spoiler:
DEX = 15[dice]228519:0[/dice]
Fortunately, whatever it is that attempted to strike at William and Lepus just barely missed them; so closely did its attack come, in fact, that both men felt something touch their bodies, although they were, understandably, too much concerned with reaching dry land to spend much time meditating upon the exact nature of said experience.

Still in an apparent state of blind rage, Gog makes his way over the slime-covered bridge, sending it rocking and swaying in a most alarming manner.
Spoiler:
DEX = 6[dice]228519:1[/dice]
As soon as he sets one giant foot upon the bridge, it collapses with the sound of many trees falling, sending him into the dark water, soon lost to sight. He emerges a moment later, engaged in a strange battle.
Spoiler:
dex = 6 and dex = 15[dice]228519:2[/dice]
The adventurers observe Gog feebly attempting to beat his fists against what appears to be the head of something between fish and serpent, whose fangs are embedded in the giant's arm.
Spoiler:
[dice]228519:3[/dice]
Although the big fellow roars with pain, his injury does not appear at all serious, there being no blood flowing from his flesh.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:40 am
by jp1885

Cackling with manic glee, Lepus draws his dagger and attempts to strike the aquatic creature.
DEX15,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:11 pm
by SunlessNick
William approaches from the other side to Lepus and stabs at the at the creature with his sword.
OOC:   Dexterity 11 +1 Profession (Soldier)
Rolled 1D20: 13  
But the blow is wide.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry swings his cane at the aquatic creature in the hopes of getting it to release the giant, striking it accurately with a mighty blow!
OOC,DEX roll (stat 10) to hit the creature: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to creature: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In the ensuing chaos of battle, many blows fall short of their goal. One, however, aimed with all the fabled accuracy of Wilhelm Tell, the legendary Swiss marksman, strikes home. The tip of Doctor North's cane pierces the silvery eye of the beast, causing thick ichor to flow from the socket. The creature roars and hisses with pain and rage, thrashing its body about in the water. Thus exposed, it is apparent that it resembles one of the animals said to inhabit certain Scottish lochs, but of a smaller size.
Spoiler:
dex =15[dice]0[/dice]

target of attack: 1= Gog, 2 = North, 3 = William, 4 = Vincent, 5 = Lepus, 6 = something else happens.[dice]2[/dice]
With the blind instinct of one of Nature's dumb animals, the beast ignores those who are actively attacking it, and instead directs its fanged jaws at its initial target, the equally enraged giant.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
Perhaps because of its anger, the creature attacks viciously, biting off more than one of the unfortunate Gog's fingers.
Spoiler:
1 = hand with Poppy, 2 = the one without[dice]3[/dice]
The hulking man, although severely wounded and howling with pain, still clutches the doll close to his body with his uninjured hand, as if losing it would be worse than death.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am
by jp1885

The wily Lepus notices that Gog still clutches the doll. He scowls, hoping that the giant would have dropped it in the struggle. Wishing that he had Vincent’s magical powers of persuasion, he wracks his addled brain for a way of getting the troglodyte to release the doll, thus giving him a better chance of saving himself.

“Oh fae lady! Oh Titania! Oh Lilith!” he yells in a strange language, “thou shall be consumed with thy slave! Have him throw you to old Lepus so that we may be reunited!”

Should the unfortunate pairing comply, the hedge wizard will ‘accidentally’ miss the catch so that the doll falls into the water.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Emboldened by his earlier success, Henry takes another swipe at the creature, landing a second excellent hit!
OOC,[b]Ivan[/b] has the sword cane. I just have a regular cane. DEX roll (stat 10) to hit the creature again: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to creature: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Blinded now by a second deadly accurate blow, the creature lets out one last mighty roar and vanishes beneath the roiling water. In the calm after this arcane battle of man and beast, the injured giant mutters incoherently to himself, gathering together such poor wits as he may possess. Meanwhile, the preternatural whispering of Lepus to Poppy continues apace.
Spoiler:
Battle of CHA here. Lepus = 11 + 3 for Attractive to Fairies = 14. Poppy = 13[dice]0[/dice]
All present seem to hear distant laughter, much as the tinkling of silver bells, coming from somewhere unseen. The sound is piercingly sweet, yet with a undertone that sends each a-shudder. Yet it is Lepus only who detects a meaning within said sounds, as if they were spoken words.
Spoiler:
What need have I now of thy prattlings and mewlings? Thy words are as the lowing of cattle! The lifeblood of yon finny serpent hath freed me! Mark this, mortal: Anon shall mine armies ravish the house that is doomed, and make merry upon its bones.
The laughter is then heard again, growing fainter and fainter, then fading into silence.

As if awakened from a dream, Gog blinks his eyes rapidly and gazes about. He then grins widely.

"Gog. Kill. Snake-fish. Gog. Strong."

As if entirely unaware of it, he casually drops the doll into the water, where it sinks at a greater rate than one might expect from its light materials.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:35 pm
by jp1885

“Oh calamity!” Lepus moans. “The fae lady is free from her prison! If old Lepus be right, she threatens the noble house with her armies. We must look to her defeat and quickly!”

Clambering out of the water, he claps Gog on the shoulder,

“Aye, Gog did good. You join us?”

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, well done, Gog!" cheers Henry, happy to let the giant take credit for the victory. "We can only hope the means to stopping Poppy lie in these caves." He uses his healing device to repair Gog's wound.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 pm
by SunlessNick
"An excellent victory, Gog" adds William. To the group at large he adds, "My instinct would be to send one of us back to the house to warn the residents, but I fear Lord Highdark would merely scorn such tidings. We should search the rest of the caves quickly, and then all of us return."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We cannot leave in any case," says Henry, "as the entrance has collapsed. We will need to find another way out. We have no choice but to proceed."

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Beaming with pride, the mighty giant gestures for the adventurers to follow him beyond the end of the bridge. After a few steps forward, a loud splash echoes from behind the party. It is, perhaps, no surprise that the recent battle weakened the bridge considerably, and it has now collapsed into the black pool, the depths of which are unknowable. Truly, there is no where to go but ahead.

Gog leads the others to a large, mostly empty cavern. Looking to the left, one sees a corridor which has evidently been carved by artificial means, rather than by the hand of Nature. The corridor narrows as it passes the spot marked on the map by two stars, although there is nothing evident at these places, then continues past the places marked as having secret doors, and ends at a door that is certainly not secret at all, for the vast structure is unmistakable. It is formed, it would seem, from some dark brown metal, and has no evident mechanism by which one could open it. Barely able to squeeze his way through the corridor, Gog smashes it with his fists, producing a sound so loud that one must cover one's ears to endure it. Yet there is no obvious effect on the door, which seems as unmarked as if newly forged.

"This. Way. Out. Me. Not. Know. How. You. Know?"

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 am
by jp1885

Leaning forward and squinting, Lepus studies the door, trying to find any obvious opening mechanism, lock or at the very least some kind of pattern.
INT 15 (+3 sharp eyesight?),[dice]0[/dice]
”Mayhap old Lepus has the measure of it...” he mutters.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:54 am
by SunlessNick
Are there hinges visible?

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the way to open this door is behind the two secret doors in the side passages," says Henry.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Are there hinges visible?
Close examination reveals no such mechanism; if truth be told, the door, if such it be, appears to be nothing more than a solid slab of metal, bound to the surrounding rock as if forged thus by Hephaestus himself.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Leaning forward and squinting, Lepus studies the door, trying to find any obvious opening mechanism, lock or at the very least some kind of pattern.
INT 15 (+3 sharp eyesight?),[dice]228646:0[/dice]
”Mayhap old Lepus has the measure of it...” he mutters.
By bringing his hawk-like eyes so close to the strange structure that the tip of his nose is chilled by the cold metal, Lepus detects tiny, barely visible inscriptions upon its surface, as if some being with exquisitely delicate fingers carved a message there with some unknown substance that could etch writings into such unyielding matter. In the dim, wavering light provided by weird, glowing fungi growing here and there within the cavern, the letters seem to dance and change form, until, all at once, they yield their meaning.

He who would pass through this gate
Must battle brace of foes
Withdraw, or stay and face your fate
Where wise man never goes
Seek your weapons, one and two,
That deep in stone do lie,
Then strike the doors for passage through
And kill, or else you die

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Perhaps the way to open this door is behind the two secret doors in the side passages," says Henry.
Close examination and experimentation with these hidden doors does not produce any evident way to open them, suggesting that something else is required to gain entrance to the chambers that lie beyond. As a very rough analogy, it is as if one did not possess the keys for the locks.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:35 pm
by jp1885

“Heh! Aye, old Lepus sees it!”

He repeats the rhyme to his companions, twitching and hopping from foot to foot as he does so.

“We must search for weapons, yesno? Mayhap at the places marked with the stars or yon secret passages?”

The hedge wizard elects to begin his search around the ‘starred’ area.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think you're right," says Henry. "There are two stars and two secret doors. Perhaps something at each of the stars will open one of the doors, and behind the doors are the weapons we need."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:38 am
by SunlessNick
William proceeds to the nearest of the places marked with a star.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Lepus WIS = 18, William WIS = 10[dice]0[/dice]
It is, perhaps, something of a surprise that Lepus, acquainted as he is with the occult and the hidden, discovers nothing at all at one of the areas marked by a star on the map, save indications that some other person has dug into the ground there at some time in the past. It may be that something was removed by said person at such time, leaving nothing to be found.

William, on the other hand, in the methodical manner of an experienced man of arms, discovers, by digging a few inches into the hard, packed ground, a metal disk, somewhat larger than a man's hand. It is simple in construction, being no more than a circle of some very shiny substance that has, evidently, some form of resistance to rust. He is clearly able to discern his own features in the disk, dim as the light in the cavern may be.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 am
by jp1885

“Bah! Old Lepus’ eyes be tired so they be. Heh, ‘tis a good thing you be of sharper wits brave soldier. There must be another disk hereabouts in a similar position, yesno? Mayhap they provide the key to open yon secret doors.”

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry, going over to inspect the location indicated by the other star.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:17 am
by SunlessNick
William nods in acknowledgment of Lepus's compliment. "I confess my wits are baffled by what purpose may be served by arranging this rigmarole."

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Indeed," says Henry, going over to inspect the location indicated by the other star.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps the seasoned eye of one well versed in the mysteries of natural philosophy allows Doctor North to locate that which the arcane wit of Lepus failed to find. Be that as it may, slyly hidden in a thin but deep crack in the cavern wall is a slender black object, in shape and size much like a willow leaf. It appears to be composed of a very smooth, shiny substance, much akin to glass. The edges and tips are quite sharp, and must be handled with great care to avoid injury.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Curious," says Henry, handling the object with care. "I suppose this could be a weapon. So could the mirrored disk, in the right circumstances. But perhaps we can use them to find a way to open the secret doors. We should examine them closely."

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm
by jp1885

Lepus agrees, hoping he'll have more luck studying the supposed secret doors.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Despite the very best efforts of all to uncover the secrets of the hidden doors through observation alone, they do not yield their secrets to the human eye, despite the knowledge and wisdom of the observer. If the curious objects play some part in unraveling these mysteries, it must be through the use of them, in some yet undiscovered manner.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:44 am
by jp1885

Lepus frowns, his addled mind whirring.

”Mayhap yon sharp piece be needed to draw on yon disk, hmm ?

By way of experiment, he makes a small scratch on the polished disk with the black object.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm
by Rooter
Vincent is at a loss but attempts to determine whether there is anything mystical about the objects' function of it they are purely mechanical.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It could be that the mechanism to open the secret doors lies elsewhere, like with the first secret door we encountered," suggests Henry.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus frowns, his addled mind whirring.

”Mayhap yon sharp piece be needed to draw on yon disk, hmm ?

By way of experiment, he makes a small scratch on the polished disk with the black object.
Despite the very sharp nature of the black object, it fails to produce any mark upon the shining disk.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Vincent is at a loss but attempts to determine whether there is anything mystical about the objects' function of it they are purely mechanical.
Spoiler:
[dice]229046:0[/dice]
The French mage's familiarity with objects of a similar nature enables him to determine that they do, indeed, possess preternatural characteristics; the manner in which this expresses itself is not as easy to determine, given the bewildering variety of such arcane things.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"It could be that the mechanism to open the secret doors lies elsewhere, like with the first secret door we encountered," suggests Henry.
Whilst considering this point, during which Doctor North continues to examine the places where such doors should, if the map be accurate, appear, he detects peculiar, very soft sounds coming from beyond the stone walls. At one place, the sound is a hissing one; at the other, a clicking. These grow slightly louder as he approaches the place from which they emerge, and fade into silence when he steps far away from them.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am
by SunlessNick
"Did you not posit a gorgon ealier, Your Lorship," observes William, indicating the mirrored disc.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm
by jp1885

Lepus looks askance at William, as if he has gravely offended the wanderer.

"Pssht! Old Lepus had not considered such a thing... On our guard must we be, yesno?"

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I did indeed," says Henry. "That disc would make an effective weapon against it. I heard hissing, as from a snake, through that wall. It is well known that Gorgons have snakes for hair. Through the other door I heard clicking. Whatever made that noise may be susceptible to the object I found. Or to the Gorgon's gaze, though it would be extremely risky to face both monsters at once. Perhaps we need to, as the verse said, strike the doors to cause them to open and release the beasts within. We could try the one behind which I heard hissing, though we'll want to blindfold ourselves first so that we do not see her."

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This plan seeming agreeable to all, it is no difficult task to obtain strips of cloth to make blindfolds. No doubt Lepus will provide such, as a few more rips in his clothing will not produce any noticeable change in his appearance.
Spoiler:
Anyone wearing a blindfold acquires the Affliction of Blind, which adds 3 to any saving roll (or reduces any basic characteristic by 3) for any task relevant to vision.
It remains to be determined who shall take possession of each of the objects discovered, and who shall dare to seek entrance to the hidden chamber that one assumes exists beyond the rock wall.

Observing the activity, Gog sounds signs of curiosity.

"What. You. Do? What. Me. Do?"

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:40 pm
by jp1885

Lepus will happily take charge of the mirror if no one else volunteers. He will angle it towards the section of wall from whence the hissing can be heard before asking someone to cover his eyes. When everyone is ready, he addresses the giant.

“Gog. Close. Eyes. Smash. Wall.” he instructs, pointing to the section. “Not. Open. Eyes!”

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Blindfolded, Henry grips his cane and prepares to defend himself if necessary, listening carefully.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Me. Do."

True to his word, Gog smashes his mighty fists into the rock wall, apparently oblivious to the bruising and bleeding this causes to his huge hands. The cavern echoes with the sound of his colossal blows. After some time has passed, this ceases, to be replaced by the sound of the giant's heavy breathing, this task being somewhat difficult even for one of his strength. Mixed with this, as expected, is the sound of many serpents hissing. Yet another sound mixes with these, one of a much more pleasing nature. It is a woman's voice, low and sweet, speaking in a way that is half-chanting and half-singing, in a language that the educated Doctor North will surely know to be ancient Greek, and most likely recognize as one of the most famous lyrics of the greatest poetess of that time and place, which may be rendered, if only in weak and tepid fashion, into the English tongue thus:

Again love, the limb-loosener, rattles me
bittersweet,
irresistible,
a crawling beast.
As a wind in the mountains
assaults an oak,
Love shook my breast.

Judging by a heavy sigh he produces, Gog appears to be entranced by the voice, although he can certainly not understand it.

"Woman . . ." he says, in a voice less booming than usual.
Spoiler:
WIS = 9[dice]0[/dice]
The woman continues to croon affectionate words in the Attic tongue to the giant, who can be heard laughing in delight. His heavy footsteps are heard walking in the direction of her voice slowly.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm
by jp1885

Using the giant’s footsteps and laughter, a blindfolded Lepus heads towards the woman’s voice, mirrored disk held aloft so that it might catch her reflection.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 pm
by SunlessNick
"Keep your eyes closed, Gog," cautions William, gripping his sword.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not woman, Gog!" says Henry as he too advances, using the cane to feel his way as well as the sounds for guidance. "Monster! Stay back from it, and remember not to look! Remember all those statues? That's what happens to people who look at it! They turn to stone!"

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 am
by Rooter
Behind, Vincent speaks a rapid incantation in an attempt to Beguile the giant into heeding their words of warning.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rooter wrote:Behind, Vincent speaks a rapid incantation in an attempt to Beguile the giant into heeding their words of warning.
Spoiler:
CHA= 9 + 3 for Beguile = 12[dice]0[/dice]
As if, somewhere deep within his thick skull, Gog somehow realizes the wisdom of this warning, he ceases his march forward toward the tempting voice, judging by the way his booming footsteps cease to echo within the cavern.

"Me. No. Look."

The hissing sound which has always been present grows more frenzied, as of an animal deprived of its prize.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:37 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Using the giant’s footsteps and laughter, a blindfolded Lepus heads towards the woman’s voice, mirrored disk held aloft so that it might catch her reflection.
Spoiler:
dex = 15 -3 for Blind = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Sightless as he is, it appears that the serpentine hissing is enough of a clue to direct Lepus toward his intended target. The hissing sound ceases, to be replaced with a woman's scream, which cuts off suddenly, to be followed by a crashing noise.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 pm
by jp1885

Assuming that the scream and crashing sound heralds success, Lepus risks a peek from under his blindfold.

"Be you vanquished, oh foul creature? Eh?"

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done!" says Henry, feeling around for the Gorgon with his cane to see if she has truly turned to stone.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators discover that, true to the tales of the ancients, the creature has been, so to speak, hoist with her own petard. What appears to be an unusually fine, if macabre, statue of a woman in the simple robes of a Grecian lady of the age of heroes, albeit one with serpents for hair, lies upon the ground, an expression of hate and terror upon her marble face. Bending down as low as he can from his great height, Gog strokes her alabaster cheek with surprising tenderness for one of such great stature.

"Pretty. Pretty."

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 am
by jp1885

Capering a little, Lepus chortles.

“She be yours forever oh giant. Now let us inspect the Gorgon’s lair, yesno?”

He will search the chamber for anything of interest.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry, removing his blindfold now that it is safe to look upon the Gorgon and helps in the search. "It is okay to look now. Let us see what else we can find. Then we will need to go through the other door. The other object we found is the weapon we need to slay whatever is making that clicking noise."

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It was, perhaps, not the most fortunate of ideas to investigate the lair of the Gorgon, for it appears that the the searching of the adventurers has stirred into action a nest of those creatures associated with the slain monster; to wit, venomous serpents, such as the one which Cleopatra brought to her bosom as her final action.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Despite this error in strategy, it seems that Fortune has partly smiled upon the party, as there is only one viper to be found in the nest, coiled and ready to strike in defense of the many eggs she has evidently recently brought into the world.
Spoiler:
dex = 15; target: 1 = Gog, 2 = Henry, 3 = William, 4 = Vincent 5 = Lepus, 6 = a surprise[dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice]
With the speed and accuracy with which Odysseus was said to wield his bow, the viper strikes at Gog, perhaps simply because he is the largest target, sinking her fangs deep into the giant's ankle. The huge man howls with pain unashamedly.
Spoiler:
damage from bite alone:[dice]3[/dice] Gog's CON = 15; saving roll needed to avoid the effects of venom.[dice]4[/dice]
Bleeding profusely from his wound -- which may be a blessing in disguise, as it could serve to wash away the serpent's natural poisons -- Gog grows red with fury and attempts to stomp upon the viper with his uninjured foot.
Spoiler:
dex = 8[dice]5[/dice]
The wily creature scurries out of range, avoiding the giant's step, which crashes into the ground with a loud boom. She prepares to attack the intruders again.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am
by jp1885

“Mayhap we should leave yon serpent to it’s nest, yesno? An amulet protects old Lepus from poisons. Get behind me, hm?”

Shielding his companions, the wanderer removes his ragged coat, ready to confound the snake should it pounce.
DEX 15 if required,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we must withdraw, Gog," says Henry, ushering the giant behind Lepus and toward the chamber entrance. "She is only defending her eggs, as any mother would. If we leave her alone, she will return the favour. Come, let me see to your wound."

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The movement of Lepus's coat, done with the grace of those bold Spaniards who battle bulls for the entertainment of cheering crowds, serves to protect the party as they make a careful withdrawal.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Once they're safe from the snake, Henry applies his wondrous healing device to Gog again to heal his wound. They'll need the giant at full strength in the next battle.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:11 pm
by SunlessNick
"The disk proved effective against the gorgon," says William. "So it is likely the other beast will be one susceptible to its bladed partber. Unfortunately, defeating the gorgon does not seem to have brought us closer to opening the door."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Going by the verse," says Henry, "I think the door will open automatically when the foes in both secret rooms have been defeated. Whoever is the most agile among us should wield the bladed weapon. Though as a physician I have a steady hand, that is probably not me."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:46 am
by SunlessNick
"I shall essay it," says William. He wraps some cloth around his hand before gripping the base of the object.
OOC:   Lepus has the highest Dex at 15 - William has 12 with +1 from Soldier.  

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Directed once again to make use of his mighty strength, greater than that of Samson before he was shorn of his locks, Gog batters the opposing wall with one giant fist. His other hand is wrapped around what is now the statue of the Gorgon, its huge grasp encircling that figure's slender waist with ease. He is able to carry the statue without diminishing his ability to carry out other feats of strength, despite the fact that, apparently made of marble, it must be of considerable weight.

Once the pounding sound of Gog's blows on the stone ceases, their task completed, the mystery of the second hidden chamber is not yet revealed, this being due to the fact that the bulk of the room, obviously much larger than the haunt of the Gorgon, is lost to sight, remaining in total darkness save for a small area illuminated from the corridor. The clicking sound is now more evident to the ear, and seems to be the rhythmic tapping of multiple hard objects upon rock. As no being emerges from within, it appears that only one bold enough to enter with a source of light will be able to discover what is yet unseen.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:59 am
by Rooter
Vincent produces a mystical Flame from his fingertips and makes ready to enter.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm
by SunlessNick
Armed with the black blade, William precedes the stalwart Frenchman into the chamber, looking around to see what the light illuminates.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:41 pm
by jp1885

Lepus follows closely, content for the gallant soldier and fantastical sorcerer to take the lead.

Apart from the occasional muttered gibberish, he keeps his own counsel; searching the dusty attics of his mind for any myths and legends about underground entities and obsidian blades. Mayhap the tapping be the rhythm of the little folk of legend, mining for precious baubles, as is thier wont?

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry follows along, knowing that his medical or scientific skills may be needed.

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
What is first revealed, within a chamber larger than might first be suspected, is a crude stone altar, stained with pale brown blotches inevitably suggesting blood from sacrificed beasts. None of these appear to be fresh. Beyond this, half-hidden in shadow, is a similarly primitive stone structure of unusual design. It resembles a throne, but one in which the base of the seat has been replaced by a thick, rugged, horizontal cylinder. It is evident what purpose this serves; claws, resembling those of a raptor of extreme size, are wrapped around it, supporting a creature who is as yet only dimly seen. The movement of these claws, as the being moves about upon its perch, produces the clicking sound heard within. At this distance, all that can as yet be told about the creature is that it appears to be partly avian -- the claws, as said, as well as what seem to be feathers, glowing in rich shades of scarlet, emerald, and ruby, whenever a bit of light strikes them -- and partly reptilian, as there are scales among the feathers of an equally jewel-like nature. As it is taller than an ordinary man, nearly reaching to the height of Gog, the upper part of its body remains in darkness. Most peculiar of all, from its unseen head spoken words emerge, in a voice somehow soft yet commanding. As to what meaning these words possess, one cannot say, as they are in a language unknown even to those of the party most familiar with the many tongues of humanity. The creature otherwise remains on its perch, neither approaching nor withdrawing from its visitors.

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:05 am
by jp1885

Even one so wise in eldritch lore as Lepus is perplexed by the creature. Perhaps it is akin to the feathered serpent once worshipped by the natives in certain parts of the Americas? The wanderer knows little of such matters, but on his travels once spent an instructive few hours in the company of a Jesuit priest who used to preach among the peoples of the Yucatan. He learned a number of useful phrases in their native tongue.
INT 15 +gift for languages,[dice]0[/dice]
He hazards a few words of greeting in this strange language, also adding some Fae salutations for good measure.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry ponders what manner of creature this may be from his knowledge of natural philosophy and legend.
OOC,Intelligence roll (16 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 17) to identify the creature: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Even one so wise in eldritch lore as Lepus is perplexed by the creature. Perhaps it is akin to the feathered serpent once worshipped by the natives in certain parts of the Americas? The wanderer knows little of such matters, but on his travels once spent an instructive few hours in the company of a Jesuit priest who used to preach among the peoples of the Yucatan. He learned a number of useful phrases in their native tongue.
INT 15 +gift for languages,[dice]229537:0[/dice]
He hazards a few words of greeting in this strange language, also adding some Fae salutations for good measure.
After being addressed in this manner, the being replies; not in the tongue of the aboriginal inhabitants of what is now part of New Spain, as might be expected, but rather in the perfectly intelligible English of a gentleman of some breeding and education. Indeed, the voice seems to be that of a young man of refined manners.

"Welcome. Have you brought the sacrifice?"

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry ponders what manner of creature this may be from his knowledge of natural philosophy and legend.
OOC,Intelligence roll (16 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 17) to identify the creature: [dice]229558:0[/dice]
To be sure, the creature resembles more one of the chimeras dreamt of by the ancients rather than any extant beast of nature. However, from readings of the curious lore of the original inhabitants of the semitropical regions of the New World, Doctor North is reminded of the deity known as, for obvious reasons, as the Feathered Serpent.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:14 am
by jp1885

Lepus bows deferentially to the creature.

“I beg thee forgive the curiosity of an old man. Prithee, how came thee to this land? Thou art from across the seas I wager. Dost thou receive sacrifice often? From whom dost thou take tribute?”

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent," says Henry. "He's a deity of the Aztec people, who lived in the Americas before they were conquered by the Spanish, which means he's a long way from home. Perhaps that blade is the sacrificial dagger."

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus bows deferentially to the creature.

“I beg thee forgive the curiosity of an old man. Prithee, how came thee to this land? Thou art from across the seas I wager. Dost thou receive sacrifice often? From whom dost thou take tribute?”
"Do the limits of time and space mean anything to a god?"

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "This is Quetalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent," says Henry. "He's a deity of the Aztec people, who lived in the Americas before they were conquered by the Spanish, which means he's a long way from home. Perhaps that blade is the sacrificial dagger."

"Indeed, sir. I trust all is in readiness? It has been long indeed since I have feasted on a human heart."

The being's serpentine neck bends down a bit, revealing the surprising fact that its head is neither that of a serpent nor that of a bird, but instead resembles that of a handsome young man, with pale blonde hair and almost perfectly white skin.

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can see why the Aztecs mistook Cortez for you," says Henry. "That proved to be a very unfortunate mistake for them."

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:14 pm
by SunlessNick
"I fear you will have to look elsewhere for your heart," says William, unwilling to dissemble with this pagan beast. He steadies his grip on the black blade.

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I can see why the Aztecs mistook Cortez for you," says Henry. "That proved to be a very unfortunate mistake for them."

"As well as for myself, sir. Is there a more forlorn figure than a deity without worshipers? Thus must I travel hither and yon upon this dusty world, seeking those few who remember me. With a thought, I will be able to fly from this place and seek my necessary fare elsewhere. If you prefer not to supply with me with my very special victuals, I shall not quarrel with you; when did god ever deign to battle mere mortal? However, once I am gone, you will find it impossible to leave this place, unless you possess the same powers as I.

"Forgive my loquaciousness. Let me speak plainly. Provide me with a human heart, and be free; refuse, and remain here for the rest of your lives."

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:"I fear you will have to look elsewhere for your heart," says William, unwilling to dissemble with this pagan beast. He steadies his grip on the black blade.
"Allow me to repay your lack of enthusiasm with a prophecy. You will die in the land where I once reigned over all other deities."

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Human hearts are in very short supply in this place," says Henry. "I'm still using my own, and I doubt my friends here would be willing to part with theirs. I'm not sure if our enormous companion even qualifies as human. My heart is not mine to give you in any case. I gave it to my wife a long time ago, and it is her property. Our children also own shares in it as well. One thing is clear to me, though: Captain Palliser here at least will emerge alive from this place. For if he does not, your prophecy cannot come to pass. If he lives out the rest of his life here, he surely cannot die there."

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The being chuckles in an all-too-human fashion.

"I wondered if any among you might be wise enough to detect that paradox. I confess that, like many of my fellow deities, such as my dear Greek sister, I am fond of turning and twisting the minds of mortals in order to test their wits. Now that you have seen through my, shall we say, white lie, I give you this reward. There is, indeed, another way out, if you can find it. (As you have already deduced, at least the bold captain shall.)"

With the suddenness of a bolt of lightning, a blinding light appears beyond the deity. Before anyone else can react, Captain Palliser rushes towards it and is soon gone. In less than a heart's beat, the blazing illumination has vanished, replaced by what appear to be three stone doors, such as might have been constructed by ancient peoples from bare rock. Upon each are words of fire, such as might have appeared upon the wall during Belshazzar's feast.

Upon the first: THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM

Upon the second: THIS DOOR DOES NOT LEAD TO FREEDOM

Upon the third: THE FIRST DOOR DOES NOT LEAD TO FREEDOM

"I see that your impetuous friend rushed through the correct door by trusting to, literally, blind chance, as none of you could have possibly seen anything in such dazzling light. The rest of you may choose to rely on Lady Fortune as well, although I know her well, and she is a fickle goddess indeed. Choosing the wrong door would have consequences which you would find most unpleasant.

"Oh, did I mention that one, and only one, of the statements written on the doors is true? The other two are false."

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:45 pm
by Rooter
"But zis is impossible," Vincent grumbles after racking his brain.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:04 pm
by SunlessNick
If I may still make a suggestion, despite William's departure:
The Feathered Serpent said,that only one of the statements was true - but it didn't say that only one of the doors led to freedom. The first and third statements directly contradict each other - therefore one of them must be the true one - therefore the second statement must be false, implying that the second door leads to freedom.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:22 pm
by jp1885
OOC,I concur SunlessNick.
Having listened to the conversation in twitchy silence, Lepus squints at the writing. After ruminating for a second or two, he nods.

"Aye, 'tis decided - the third door tells the truth and thus the second door leadeth to freedom. Mayhap, one day we may converse more fully oh deity, but alas not today - unless thou knowest how to defeat the Fae Lady and wish to grace us with a clue or somesuch parting gift?

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I quite agree," says Henry. "I've come to the same conclusion. The first and third doors cannot possibly be both true or both false, so one of them must be true and the other false. Logically, since only one door can be true, the second door must be false and must therefore lead to freedom."

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Excellently reasoned, gentlemen. You may go," the being replies, apparently pleased at having thus matched wits. "As for my aid in whatever coming battle you may face, I confess that my children in the other half of the world built their mighty empire with my help. At a price, to be sure; a single human heart, newly torn from the chest of its living owner with the use of an obsidian blade, for each individual enemy you wish to defeat. Make such sacrifice, and I will appear."

With those words, the deity vanishes. The adventurers are free to pass through the correct door, and emerge into the world of sunlight. Gog, however, expresses, albeit in inarticulate fashion, a desire to remain in his underground lair. As the others depart, they can hear him using his mighty fists to make such repairs upon the rock walls are as possible.
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please continue onward to Book the Second, Chapter the Sixth.