Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Still somewhat weak, Mrs Piper replies "Concealed? Not I. For what reason?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A fine lady, but not Mrs. Piper?" asks Henry. "Could you describe her? Did she give her name?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Young Peter blushes a bit.

"If word she said, never heard it I did. 'Twas most I could do to give vial and take coin. Hair like fire she had, most to the ground, and great wide eyes green as grass."

It is immediately evident that this description does not fit any person heretofore encountered. Mister Hardsworthy is of the opinion that the lad is given to fancies.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your help," says Henry. "I shall have to make inquiries at the house. Surely someone like that would be memorable."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will not break in on the conversation between Miss Davenport and Mrs Piper, but will relay what she saw when Miss Davenport emerges - or when Dr North returns, if that happens first.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

At Ines' news, Lila asks one of the servants who presumably have knowledge of the local geography what lies in the direction taken by Mr. Crayle.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When the adventurers are once again assembled, conversation with all in residence at the Piper estate fails to yield even one who admits to having seen a person fitting the description offered by young Peter.

In response to the questioning of Miss Davenport, it seems that Mister Crayle rode off into a wild and unsettled region of the Surrey Hills, just beyond the Devil's Punchbowl.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should try to follow his trail," says Henry. "He certainly left in an awful hurry once Mrs. Piper began to recover."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There being general agreement, it only remains to be decided which members of the party shall take part in the attempt to track Mister Crayle, and in what manner.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines would be able to show his initial direction more fully than she could tell it, so she will go.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think I should go with you," says Henry, "as long as Mrs. Piper's recovery is continuing apace. My wife could stay with her and keep her company, unless she wishes to go with us. I think I should bring Ivan, however. He may be needed should we find Mister Crayle and anyone he may be going to meet."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I should certainly be glad of the protection."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I am hesitant to leave Mrs. Piper vulnerable if this mysterious woman should take the opportunity to return," Lila says. "Perhaps I should remain with her for now."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This being settled, and Mrs North glad of the company of Miss Davenport, the bold trio proceeds in the direction taken by Mister Crayle. The countryside being too rough for a coach, and, indeed, difficult of crossing by any but the most sure-footed, they are supplied with good horses. (The servants will, of course, assume that they merely wish to enjoy the scenic countryside.)
Spoiler:
Some time required for all the arrangements, this would seem to be more a matter of Tracking than Tailing. The area is little traveled, adding a +2 bonus for success against Wisdom; however, none of the party is trained in the art of Tracking [unlike Miss Davenport, who is not currently present], so there is also a -10 penalty. Let's see if anyone is lucky.

Doctor North: WIS = 11 - 8 = 3 [dice]0[/dice]

Ines: WIS = 11 - 8 but +1 for Animal Husbandry, in following a horse = 4 [dice]1[/dice]

Ivan WIS = 9 - 8 = 1 [dice]2[/dice]
It would seem that the area, full of rolling hills and depressions, covered with thick grass stirred constantly by the wind, makes following Mister Crayle's path nearly impossible, without the expertise of one adept at that difficult skill. Certain possibilities are sure to occur to the adventurers. One might wait for Mister Crayle to return, then follow him more closely when next he leaves the estate. There is, of course, no way of telling when this might be. The party might wish to return to the manor and enlist the aid of Miss Davenport, although this would entail some delay. Or, possibly they may wish to explore the unusual and beautiful natural amphitheatre known as the Devil's Punchbowl for any clews, this being an area subject to many legends as to its creation, and almost certainly a place where Mister Caryle has passed by, there being no other good path for one on horseback. Such a search is likely to prove fruitless, to be sure, but if nothing else it might provide pleasant diversion.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Meanwhile, back at the manor, Lila decides to give the Brazen Head one more try.

"Head," she asks. "Who is the lady with hair like fire and eyes like grass that was in this house?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Brazen Head is apparently quite amused by this. After a burst of laughter, it answers.

"The one made from dust by the Enemy might have said 'That was no lady, that was my wife.' A jester will say that as well, one or two centuries from now."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I think Miss Davenport is right to stand guard over Miss Piper," ventures Ines. "We may pick up the trail again at the Punchbowl."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She is the only skilled tracker among us," says Henry, "but she is also the best suited to protect Mrs. Piper, other than perhaps Ivan. We could go back and have him relieve her, but that would take time. We may as well look around while we're here, and then return if we don't find anything."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
For searching the area, saving rolls against WIS as before, no penalties. Same order of characters.[dice]0[/dice]
It is perhaps not surprising that Ines, born with the gift of intuition, discovers something unusual. It appears to be a lump of hardened clay, about the size of a man's head, upon which are written letters of the Hebrew language, Doctor North being able to recognize them.
Spoiler:
INT = 14 + 3 Gift for Languages = 17[dice]1[/dice]
He is also able to translate them quite easily. They appear to form the word met, meaning dead. Upon closer examination, it seems as if another letter was once inscribed before those spelling out this word, but it has been rubbed away so that it is illegible.

Further searching of the area does not yield anything else of interest.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've heard of this," says Henry, who knows all about rumored means of creating artificial life. "It's the old Jewish legend of the Golem. It's an automaton created from clay that can be used to perform various tasks. Sometimes they can be guardians, but this one has been disabled. When it's created, the Hebrew word emet, meaning truth, is inscribed upon its forehead. When the first letter, the aleph, is scratched out, that leaves the word met, meaning dead. At that point the Golem ceases to function. We could try reinscribing the aleph to activate it, but that could be dangerous. A Golem is a fearsome foe in battle, it is said, and we do not know this one's purpose. It could attack everyone who comes into the area, for instance. We could always rub out the aleph again if it proves to be hostile, but it may cause some damage first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”