Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd like to speak to Doctor Browne," says Henry. "As a fellow physician, he'd probably be just as interested in speaking to me. If he prescribed the tonic for Mrs. Piper, I can learn that from him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

A message is conveyed to Doctor Browne, who is quite willing to consult with Doctor North at his convenience, and meet with other members of the party. Doctor Browne being of somewhat advanced age and not as spry as he once was, requests that the visitors arrive at his home, which lies at no great distance, whenever they please. (The young manservant who has served as go-between is of the impression that Doctor Browne would be glad of company, as he is a bachelor gentlemen who does not often receive guests.)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila elects to remain at the manor with Mrs. Piper.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines chooses to remain as well. While she now knows the layout of the house, she will take the chance to learn the same of the grounds as well.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Whilst Ines and Miss Davenport remain about the manor, enjoying a modest but well-maintained garden, Doctor and Mrs North pay a visit to Doctor Browne. He proves to be a portly, gray-haired gentleman, dressed in a manner which suggests little concern for his appearance, and sporting a pair of spectacles as often seen upon his forehead as before his eyes. This being, to all appearances, a household without servants, Doctor Browne scurries about preparing tea with more enthusiasm than skill. After some idle chit-chat, he inquires if he is able to be of some medical assistance, obvious pleased that a physician from the great metropolis should wish to consult with an "old country sawbones."

Meanwhile, Mrs Piper's healing continues apace. Mister Crayle, who seems perfectly healthy, indicates in casual conversation with the ladies that business requires that he take his leave on the morrow, and that he may be away for one or two days.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pleased to meet you, Doctor Browne," says Henry, shaking his hand. "I'm currently caring for Mrs. Piper, and I understand that you were her physician during the onset of her symptoms. I was hoping to speak to you about what happened when she was under your care, and what medicines you prescribed for her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I see. A most interesting case indeed. Mrs Piper's symptoms suggested an imbalance between Cytherean and Arean influences; not terribly uncommon in the female. I suggested that regular ingestion of the marital element would aid in correcting the problem. I have not heard from the lady for some time, however. Has there been any improvement in her condition?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I presume that with the improvement in Mrs. Piper's health all is settled with her affairs?" Lila replies to the lawyer back at the manor. "But you must take care not to exert yourself unduly. I recall how fatigued you seemed after your last trip. Perhaps you might benefit from a dose of Mrs. Piper's tonic."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Well, we shall see about that. I confess that I do not place much faith in medicinal concoctions, which seem as likely to harm as to heal. That Mrs Piper benefits from such is excellent news. No doubt in a few days she will be able to communicate intelligibly and make her wishes known."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There has now, but for a while before I arrived it had been getting worse," says Henry. He shows him the bottle of tonic. "Is this what you prescribed her? It proved most effective in treating her condition. However, she had not had any prior to my arrival. I found it hidden in her room, the seal intact. Do you know who delivered the medicine to her, and who at her house received it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After locating his spectacles (which prove to be located on top of his head) Doctor Browne examines the vial closely.

"Ah, yes. Spirits of iron. The very thing I suggested. I directed Mrs Piper to contact the apothecary, what-you-may-call-him, Hamworker or some such, about obtaining such. I presume this was done, seeing as you have this in hand, but beyond my initial recommendation I am not aware of the details as to how this manufactured and delivered."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do you have an address for this apothecary?" asks Henry. "Perhaps written down somewhere, such as in a letter?" he adds, certain that Doctor Browne won't remember it, seeing as he can't even remember the man's name, let alone that he left his spectacles on top of his head.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After some fumbling about with many sheets of paper, an address for Mister Hardsworthy is located, under a plate which, judging by crumbs found upon it, had recently held a simple meal. His shop is located nearby, in the small village which supplies such goods as are required by manor homes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Doctor Browne," says Henry. "I shall have to look him up. It has been a pleasure speaking with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a simple matter to pay a visit to Mister Hardsworthy, busy at work in his small shop, with the aid of a young lad serving as apprentice. Once introductions have been made, and he is made aware that Doctor North is a physician, he makes inquiry if the preparation of a nostrum is required.

Whilst this interview is underway, Mister Crayle sets out on his stated errand, and Mrs Piper recovers sufficiently to permit brief conversation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Actually, you've already prepared it some time ago," says Henry, showing Hardsworthy the bottle of tonic. "You filled this prescription for Mrs. Piper, and it has proven very effective. Unfortunately, it seems to have been misplaced for a long time, and I'm trying to discover how that might have happened. She had been at Death's door before I found it and started to administer it. Do you have someone who rnade a delivery to the Piper house, or did someone come to pick it up?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"How extraordinary," Mister Hardsworthy exclaims. "This is indeed the tonic I prepared, as requested in a series of letters exchanged amongst Doctor Browne, Mrs Piper, and myself. I recall quite clearly that young Peter here delivered it a matter of some weeks ago. Didn't you, lad?"

"Yes, sir," Peter says somewhat shyly. "Gave it to the fine lady what opened the door. Brought my master the payment and all."

"Quite so," Hardsworthy remarks. "Account settled in full. How it came to be mislaid is beyond my imagining."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines takes care to observe the manner of Mr Crayle's departure, and as best as she can determine which direction he goes.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is evident that Mister Crayle goes alone, on horseback, and heads in a direction which leads neither to the nearest village nor to the road which runs to London.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Meanwhile, Lila takes the opportunity to apprise Mrs. Piper of all that has transpired over the past few days. "While I am pleased that you considered me worthy of inheriting the Brazen Head, as I am sure Mr. Crayle is pleased to take care of your estate, I am most relieved that it will not come to pass. Was it yourself who concealed the will in the book?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”