Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I could try speaking to her," says Henry. "If she cannot remember her dreams, and if she is willing, I can try mesmerism again."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Without revealing the exact reason for his request, Doctor North is able to persuade Georgina to enter the mesmeric state. (Such activities are not unknown as a source of amusement in society, and thus there is no need to explain his true motive.)

Whilst under the influence of animal magnetism, Georgina relates her most recent dreams; the which, as is true of many of those under the spell of Morpheus, are lost to memory as soon as one arises.

"I was there with my dear husband, with my precious babe in my arms," she relates, in a low, soft voice. "We strolled through fields of sweet-smelling flowers. Larks and doves alit upon my outstretched hand, and sang to me sweetly. Lambs frolicked at our feet, and even wild deer came to me, and offered their heads to be stroked, like gentle dogs."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"Not at all like that of the twins, then," remarks Eliza in a tone rather more dry than usual.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, but it is a dream about nature," says Henry. "Perhaps it does have to do with the goddess."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This experiment in mesmerism having been performed, with results, perhaps, raising more questions than have been answered, Harold takes the opportunity, now that the adventurers have returned to the manor home, to request another sitting by Eliza. As this is arranged, another idea springs into his head.

"A background of roses would be a fine addition to my painting. If you would care to gather some dozen or so, while I prepare my paints and brushes?"

As the rose garden lies near the Temple of Cotytto, this might be a chance, as they say, to strike at a brace of birds with a single stone.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I know just where we might find some," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Hmm, mayhap the young mistress' innocent nature be enough to trump any wanton desires," Lepus muses. "Let us gather roses near the temple, perchance to converse with yon goddess."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The rose garden proves to offer a wide variety of shades of blossoms, from deep red to pure white to bright yellow to gentle pink to vivid orange. It requires judgement to decide what combination of colors would best be suited for the desired background of the painting.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Eliza favours red and white roses, saying she thinks they will look better with the colours already present in the scene. She seems to be quite taken with the act of picking them, closely examining how the stems come apart or emerge from the ground. "How like are they to the working of our own bodies?" she asks.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Hm, I know not," admits Lepus. "Oft a young swain will try to win the heart of their ladyfriend with a rose; by all accounts."

The limit of knowledge on such matters exhausted, he snips off a yellow rose for himself (should it be required to attract the goddess of the dawn).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent selection," says Henry. "Yes, it is fascinating to see how vastly different forms of life have so much in common. Plants are different in many ways. They do not eat food as we do, but they absorb sunlight as well as nutrients from the soil and water. It was Robert Hooke who discovered that they are composed of cells, tiny chambers too small to be seen without a microscope. Our own bodies also consist of cells, though plant cells are surrounded by walls and are hardier than our own."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The adventurers return the blossoms to Harold's studio, and another long and exhausting session of posing begins for Eliza.
Eliza,After returning to the manor home with the roses, you are overcome with a pure and innocent affection for Harold, despite the uncomfortable ordeal of posing.
Lepus,You are filled with a sense of merriment when you return to the studio, almost giddiness.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus giggles and capers more than usual as he brings the rose to the studio.

“Hehehe, paint yon girl well young master!” he gurns at Harold. “So that she be immortalised!”

“Now, do the rest of us visit the temple this night?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Thankyou again," Eliza says to Harold after the new sitting. "There are few who look on me as they would a normal girl. I find it a great solace to be your subject."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed, I would like to see the temple," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Once day is done, and the adventurers have restored themselves in preparation for the evening's activities, they make their way to the temple. No doubt they carry lanterns, but the presence of many fireflies and bright moonlight make this hardly necessary.

The temple is simple in design, as Lord Highdark has remarked, consisting of thirteen Doric columns supporting a circular dome. The trail leading up to the temple, which is located at the top of as slight rise, winds widdershins in a tight spiral. Within the temple there is little to be found, save a scattering of leaves and twigs, stirred by a gentle wind. At the very top of the dome is a small chole, through which one can study the night sky, if there be some celestial body to be observed.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus moves to a position under the hole, shuffling about until he can line up a random star. In the same manner as he has conversed with several strange entities around the estate, he opens up his senses.

"Oh denizen of the temple, may we converse with thee?" he enquires.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Father, there is something I do not understand," Eliza says quietly to Dr North while Lepus works. "In my instruction, you speak of there being only one god. Yet the title of god and goddess is granted to others too, like the beneficiary of this temple. Does god bear more than one meaning?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, an excellent question, Eliza," replies Henry. "There is in fact only one true God, with a capital G, who created all things. Yet there are other things worshipped by man that are called gods and goddesses, with a lowercase g. Some of these beings may not be real, but the inventions of man. Others may be supernatural entities that may have some power of their own, though nothing to compare with the power of God, who has commanded that we have no other gods before Him, for He is a jealous God."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A softly glowing beam of light pours through the opening in the dome, as if the full moon happened to appear in all her glory directly above it, although this is of course not the case. Whatever the source of said light, it vanishes nearly before it is glimpsed.

In the direction of the fine grove of white birches that lies at no great distance from the temple comes the sound of raucous merrymaking; laughter, shouts, songs, the blaring of pipes, and the booming of drums. The sound grows louder. By the graceful swaying of the birches, it may be deduced that a party of revelers approaches.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”