Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"I see," Harold replies. "Indeed, a most disagreeable odor can be found in the basement; but, after all, that is where the cesspit is located. Although such matter can provide excellent material for a rose garden, one cannot expect it to possess the same pleasant aroma, ha, ha. Besides, the basement is where the servants reside, and you know what the lower classes are like." He seems to meditate upon this for a while, frowning and speaking as to himself. "Yes, there must not be any intimate connexion between the lower classes and their betters."

Recovering his former cheerful mood, he continues. "As far as the sealed areas of the house -- you mean those on the third floor and in the attic, I take it -- I am afraid I cannot offer you much guidance. They have been so since before I was born. I confess that, as a child, I sometimes attempted to make my way into them, like some common thief. This effort was without result, as they are sealed in a way which would require the strength of Herakles, or the skill of Daedalus, to enter them."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

While conversing with Georgina herself, William endeavours to instill a deeper fascination in the girl.
OOC:   Charisma 11, +1 Seduction
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 8; success  
The aura of a military man is perhaps stronger when freed from the violent details of the battlefield.

Following Lady Highdark openly would likely be counterproductive - her destination is presumably meant to be secret.
OOC:   Widom 10, maybe +1 from Profession (would it be fair to say it would come under soldier?), maybe +3 from Expert Equestrian (the book) mentions "chases" on horseback, but not tracking a rider on horseback)
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12; success if Expert Equestrian counts, otherwise failure.  
William is skilled on horseback, but it remains to be seen whether that is enough that he can follow Lady Highdark's trail.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've begun to observe them," says Henry, "but I have not made enough observations to draw a definite conclusion yet. There are two possibilities. The twins do act as though they share a single mind between them, and that may turn out to be the case. It is also possible that they are putting on an act out of mischievousness. I have an experiment in mind that I'd like to try once their lesson ends. I plan to put them in separate rooms and then have one of them write down a word of her choice on a scrap of paper. Then I will go to the other room where her sister is, and ask her what word she wrote. If they do truly share one mind, she will know. However, she may not be truthful in her reply, and she could tell me that she does not know, or guess the wrong word, even if she does know it. It is also possible that she might guess the word correctly, but that they do not share a single mind, if they are capable of knowing each other's thoughts. Further experimentation will be needed, but that should make a good start, and the results of the initial experiment will indicate in which direction I should proceed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
The Tracking thing is a little tricky here; it costs a ten point penalty from Wisdom for one not trained in it (or a Demon Hunter after something preternatural.) However, given the Expert Equestrian skill, and for the sake of an interesting story, let's allow William to Track without the penalty when following someone on horseback.
Just before setting out after Lady Highdark, William is confronted by the foundling Henry, who is red-faced, disheveled, and breathing rapidly, having evidently run for some distance. He speaks rapidly, and with barely restrained passion.

"I have just been out walking with Georgina -- Miss Altumber -- and her conversation is of nothing but the dashing and charming Captain Palliser. Captain Palliser this! Captain Palliser that! Do not think me such a fool as to imagine that you are without designs upon her. I may not possess your fine manners or bearing, nor was I born to high estate, but I am not without honor. I warn you not to press your attentions upon her. Good day, sir!"

With that, he marches away.

After this encounter, William is able to follow the subtle traces of Lady Highdark's path. They lead to a small, rough-hewn wooden structure surrounded by trees, such as might be used by hunters. The hoofprints about the place indicate that Lady dismounted here, entered the structure, then remounted and went on. It would be possible to follow the tracks further. It would also be possible to investigate the structure, although this would allow Lady Highdark to gain some distance beyond her pursuer.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"An interesting possibility," Lord Highdark replies. "I must warn you, however, that Julia and Juno have never been separated since their birth. Every attempt to do so, even for a moment, results in outbursts of rage and despair that I can only compare to the shrieks of souls in Perdition. Neither Lady Highdark nor I thought it worth the battle to keep them apart. Perhaps you might have more success. I suggest that you speak to Miss Rye who, if truth be told, has spent more time in their company than their parents. They should be finished with their lessons in a short time."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

William will take the chance and investigate the structure.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

in the study:

"Merci, this information is trés useful," Vincent replies to Harold. "Ah, I noticed some interesting carvings upon your walking stick at dinner. May I take a look?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:William will take the chance and investigate the structure.
No apparent attempt has been made to hide the things within it. As best as can be told, the structure serves as a storage area. It can easily be seen that it contains a brace of pistols as well as a supply of ammunition. There are also indications that another such set of weapons was formerly stored here, but has been recently taken away, judging by the patterns of dust found on the simple cabinet wherein the pistols are found. Another item of furniture, resembling a crude closet, holds a set of men's riding clothes. Once again, it seems as if another such set has been removed. Upon a rough table lie a set of women's riding clothes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"In that case, Lord Highdark," says Henry, "I won't try to separate them. I'll have to put them in chairs back to back, to keep them from communicating for the duration of the experiment. I'll just have to give specific instructions and hope they obey. I'll couch the whole thing as a game, and offer them each a prize if they get it right. Perhaps a toffee? I'll go speak to Miss Rye once their lessons are done."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:in the study:

"Merci, this information is trés useful," Vincent replies to Harold. "Ah, I noticed some interesting carvings upon your walking stick at dinner. May I take a look?"
"Certainly," Harold replies with a touch of pride. He braces himself carefully on the desk and offers the stick. "It is a most curious piece, is it not? I obtained it from a wandering Gypsy not long ago. Not that I normally approve of dealings with such persons, you understand, but it was such a handsome piece of work that I could not resist. Certainly, it is preferable to the ordinary walking sticks upon which I formerly relied. The carvings are said to bring good luck."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"In that case, Lord Highdark," says Henry, "I won't try to separate them. I'll have to put them in chairs back to back, to keep them from communicating for the duration of the experiment. I'll just have to give specific instructions and hope they obey. I'll couch the whole thing as a game, and offer them each a prize if they get it right. Perhaps a toffee? I'll go speak to Miss Rye once their lessons are done."
This being agreed to, Doctor North is directed to the nursery on the second floor, near the bed chambers of Lady Highdark and her daughters. The twins no longer in their infancy, the nursery is now used by them as a place of instruction and recreation. It is a cheerful room decorated in pastel colors, full of the usual playthings; blocks, a fine Noah's Ark, and so forth. Several childish drawings of animals are scattered about.

Doctor North is introduced to Miss Rye. She is a woman slightly past the first blush of youth, with features plain but not unpleasant. Her mien and manner are serious.

"How may I be of service, my Lord?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It seems I was mistaken about Lady Highdark's purpose in these excursions," murmurs William to himself. Leaving everything as he found it, he resumes his attempt to follow Lady Highdark's trail.
OOC:   Wisdom 10, +3 Expert Equestrian
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12, success  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

In the study:

"Oui, it is a fine work," Vincent says, admiring the walking stick. "And let us hope the luck is true, non? A Gypsy may know more than they seem." He hands the stick back and takes his leave.

Vincent heads down to the basement, intending to smell this mysterious odor for himself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Miss Rye," says Henry. "Lord Highdark wishes for me to discover the reason for the twins' behaviour, so I thought the first thing I should do was to come see you. You've spent a great deal of time with them and know them very well, and I would value your insights." He then explains his experiment idea to her. "Perhaps you could be of assistance in getting them to cooperate."
OOC,I've got a pretty good idea of what [b]Lady Highdark[/b] gets up to on her excursions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"It seems I was mistaken about Lady Highdark's purpose in these excursions," murmurs William to himself. Leaving everything as he found it, he resumes his attempt to follow Lady Highdark's trail.
OOC:   Wisdom 10, +3 Expert Equestrian
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 12, success  

The track leads on for quite some distance, into wild areas where a man on horseback can only travel slowly. Due to the density of the trees, foot travel might actually be faster. From time to time other hoofprints can be seen to join those of Lady Highdark.

Eventually the path leads to a low rise, from which it is possible to observe an open area just below.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Four figures, dressed in riding outfits, stand near their steeds, caring for them in ways that indicate that they will soon be ridden again. Not far from them is a man dressed in ragged clothing. He seems nervous, judging by the movements of his legs and hands. Despite this state of agitation, he makes no effort to flee from the others, nor is he bound in any way. The riders wear pistols, but they are not currently in use. They engage in soft conversation, not audible from this distance, with occasional rough laughter. They are not aware that they are being observed.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:In the study:

"Oui, it is a fine work," Vincent says, admiring the walking stick. "And let us hope the luck is true, non? A Gypsy may know more than they seem." He hands the stick back and takes his leave.

Vincent heads down to the basement, intending to smell this mysterious odor for himself.
The main entrance to the basement leads to a large room filled with furniture, either not in the best condition and in need of repair, or not required for some other reason. To the left, beyond a room filled with all manner of lumber and woodworking tools, lie the bedchambers for the female servants. To the right are those for the male servants, as well as storage rooms for other equipment. Beyond this lie the wine cellar, root cellar, meat cellar, and other such kitchen storage areas which require a constant cool environment. A set of stairs leads far down to the cesspit, which is, of course, kept well away from the other rooms in the basement. (The servants tasked with emptying chamber pots into it have a task which is not envied by any of their fellows.) Given the large number of servants employed by the Altumbers, there are always a number of them about, working, sleeping, or skylarking.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you, Miss Rye," says Henry. "Lord Highdark wishes for me to discover the reason for the twins' behaviour, so I thought the first thing I should do was to come see you. You've spent a great deal of time with them and know them very well, and I would value your insights." He then explains his experiment idea to her. "Perhaps you could be of assistance in getting them to cooperate."
OOC,I've got a pretty good idea of what [b]Lady Highdark[/b] gets up to on her excursions.
"Certainly, my Lord. One need only accept their quaint eccentricities, and find them to be agreeable children." Miss Rye addresses the twins.

"Ladies, this gentleman wishes to play a game. Will that not be most enjoyable? Please do as he tells you, or Poppy will be displeased."

"Yes, Miss--

Rye, we shall--

be pleased to--

play this--

game with the--

fine gentleman. We --

do not--

wish to upset--

Poppy again."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent," says Henry. "If you win the game, I shall give each of you a toffee. In order to win, it's important to play by the rules, and that means following the instructions exactly." He takes two chairs and places them back to back in the center of the room and invites the girls to sit down on them. Then he takes a small writing desk and places it in front of one of the girls, putting upon it a scrap of paper and a quill and inkpot. "Now, it is important that you say nothing at all. I want you to write a word, any word at all, upon this piece of paper, but remember not to say anything." He won't look at the word on the paper himself yet, just to rule out the possibility that they could be reading his mind instead of each other's.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The twins grow silent -- no small achievement of its own! -- and glance at each other, as well as gazing intently at their little doll. They take their places and write as instructed. Doctor North watches carefully to make sure there is no cheating.

Once retrieved, the papers both say, in identical, childish handwriting, ARDELIO.

Being quite familiar with the language of the ancient Romans, Doctor North is able to translate this as MEDDLER.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done," says Henry, handing them each a toffee. "You have won the game. You may speak again now. That's a pretty dolly you have. Did your parents give it to you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”