Post by SunlessNick »

"And perhaps wait until we can conceal further examination from Guillaume."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry leads the way back to rejoin the others so he can show them what he has found.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

By this time the great commotion made by Guillaume has drawn the attention of the other members of his family, as well as Isaac and Raquel. Singly or in pairs, they arrive at the abandoned part of the Chateau. Guillaume makes no answer to their inquiries, completely intent on his search. Raquel does what she can in the role of a peacemaker, attempting to pour oil upon troubled waters, desiring to heal the breach between the Baron and Stephan. The Baroness does not seem quite as distressed as her husband, perhaps because she is content to have her elder son returned sound in wind and limb, if not in temperament. She draws near the adventurers and bares her soul.

"These men and their list for riches! How I wish they would abandon this fruitless quest for fortune. Is there anything you can do to end this madness?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There might be a way," says Henry. "If we could find the diamond they seek first, we can dispose of it properly. It belonged to a woman who died a long time ago, and if we return it to her, she can be laid to rest at last, and the men will no longer tear the Chateau apart looking for it once they are convinced that it is gone."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Baroness appears to be surprised, yet not shocked, by this information. "How strange. And yet that would explain the peculiar sensation I experienced so long ago. Tell me, how is this to be done?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This may be hard to believe," says Henry. "It's difficult for me to accept as a man of science and reason, but I cannot deny the evidence of my own eyes. The spirit of the dead woman haunts the chapel, and we met her there. She had frozen to death, and she has the ability to inflict extreme cold on others. That is what happened to those two soldiers, and Miss Davenport nearly met the same fate. The ghost demanded the return of her 'heart,' which is actually a heart-shaped diamond. Once we locate it, we can return it to her as she demands. Then both she and the diamond will be gone."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Baroness appears alarmed. "A diamond, you say? If such a thing exists, I fear my husband -- and my elder son, for that matter -- would never allow it to fall out of their hands. 'The love of money is the root of all evil,' or so Scripture advises."

During this whispered conversation, angry words have been flung about by the male members of the de Hautommes family, Charlotte and Raquel doing what they can to make peace, and not having notable success. At last, Guillaume storms out, evidently frustrated in his attempt to discover anything else of value. Stephan nearly collapses against a wall, his eyes closed and his head lowered. At the sight of this, Raquel goes to his side and strokes his brow. The Baron leaves as well, muttering about ungrateful children and serpents' teeth. His wife and daughter follow, in some distress.
Spoiler:
wis = 9 + 2 for Magician class = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Through careful observation, and perhaps some inspired intuition, Isaac notes the poppet which the adventurers have discovered, and realizes that they consider it to be of some importance.

"What have we here?" he inquires, in a casual tone.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"We found it in one of the abandoned children's bedrooms," Lila explains. "It seems unusually heavy. It is best we examine it with caution as it is not unknown for such objects to be the vessel of spirit activity."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It is also possible that it contains what we seek," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines pensively keeps an eye on the men, for if any turn their attention to the conversation.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Isaac expresses great interest in the object. "In what manner do you propose to examine it?" he inquires.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"There seems to be a small object of great density inside it," Lila says. She hands the doll to Doctor North. "Doctor, perhaps a surgical procedure is required to remove it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If it's necessary," says Henry, making a careful examination of the poppet, "but it may not be. Whoever put the object inside the doll apparently had a way of doing it without damaging the doll itself. There must be some mechanism to open it. Perhaps the head is screwed on and merely needs to be unscrewed, or there may be a hidden compartment."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Upon closer study, it is obvious that the poppet has been stitched together in such a manner that there is no way to examine its interior without cutting or tearing it apart. There is no mechanism of any kind; it is simply a thing of cloth and thread.

By this time the other members of the household have retired for the night, seeking such rest as they are able to find. It does not take much imagination to summon a mental image of Guillaume wandering out into the night, in search of some isolated place of shelter; Stephan dead to the world, Raquel close to his side, a sputtering candle illuminating her dusky brow; the Baron and the Baroness in their respective chambers, awake with worry or subject to anxious dreams; and Macaria awaiting her appointed meeting.

"It is apparent," Isaac remarks, "that you are hesitant to destroy this plaything in order to reveal its secrets. Would you prefer that I undertake the risk, if any there be?" He holds out his hand, ready to take the doll if it is offered.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Miss Carrow's talented fingers may be able to open it in such a way that it can be well repaired," suggests Ines.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If there is any risk involved," says Henry, "I would not want to subject Elizabeth or Isaac to it. However, if Miss Davenport says it is safe, then that is a good idea. I am concerned about possibly offending the spirit by causing too much damage to her childhood toy. She has already proven how dangerous she can be. Perhaps the best way would be to cut open a stitch with a scalpel to get at what's inside, then sew it back up later."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Apparently disappointed to have failed to obtain the poppet, Isaac is nonetheless ready to stand by as witness to the planned investigation.

"If you fear for the safety of the ladies, sir," Isaac remarks, "perhaps you and I might retreat to some sheltered area of the Chateau, away from the gaze of the curious?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wouldn't subject you to that risk either," says Henry, suspicious of Isaac's repeated attempts to get hold of the poppet. "I can do it myself, if Miss Davenport thinks it advisable. It is a simple enough surgery."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I have distracted a spirit once before," says Ines. "If disturbing this doll does bring its attention, my presence may be useful." [The observant Dr North will be able to reaslise that despite referring the battle with the wraith, Ines is also motivated by suspicion of Isaac]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There being no apparent objection to the procedure, Isaac bows and withdraws to a moderate distance from the others, that he might not be thought to be interfering.

It is a simple matter to cut a few stitches with a scalpel. Revealed within the straw stuffing of the poppet, to no one's very great surprise, is the heart-shaped diamond. It may be noticed that Isaac's eyes grow wide at the sight of this glittering treasure.

Before any other reaction is possible, a sudden, intense blast of cold air, from no obvious source, stirs the hair and clothing of those present. So powerful is this boreal wind that it is difficult to remain standing as it swirls and dashes about the adventurers like the djinn of fable.
Spoiler:
Assuming everyone is here, DEX rolls to see who can avoid falling
Isaac = 9
Miss Carrow = 7
Dr. North = 10 + 1 for TI = 11
Miss Davenport = 18 + 1 TI = 19
Ivan = 9 + 1 TI = 10
Ines = 10 + 1 TI = 11
[dice]0[/dice]
It so happens that Doctor North, his beloved Miss Carrow, and his loyal manservant Ivan happen to be standing in a position where they face the full force of the blast, and are knocked to the ground.
Spoiler:
It seems logical that Dr. North would be holding the diamond. Another DEX roll to see if he can maintain it.[dice]1[/dice]
Unsurprisingly, this causes Doctor North to loose his grip upon the gem, which goes flying off, like a stone thrown by a playful child.
Spoiler:
1 = goes to Isaac, 2 = Miss Davenport, 3 = Ines, 4/5/6 = none of these[dice]2[/dice]
The treasure rolls off into a corner of the hallway, far from any of the party. Whilst those who have fallen struggle to rise, the apparition formerly encountered reappears, as if brought into being by the atmosphere itself, with only Isaac, Miss Davenport, and Ines in a position to make some sort of defense against it. Isaac is heard to be mumbling to himself in a language known to none present, and performing strange gestures with his hands. The spirit appears to hesitate a moment, as if uncertain of its goal; but it is all too probable that it will soon strike out in its deathless fury.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”