Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines unconsciously touches her side as she looked around the room. "We have all suffered at the hands of DuPray and Roterstein, this poor woman more than any of us. If we leave, they will continue to use and hurt the people of this city. But I know that the longer remain, the longer we abandon your friend Mr Harcourt. I will do as you think you best. Though my conscience will trouble me if we leave Roterstein free to work his evil."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I also do not want to leave either of them at large," says Henry. "They must be stopped before they cause yet more damage, and they must answer for what they have done."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Doctor North, do you think anything can be done for this woman? Otherwise perhaps a word can be put in with the priests to give her the care she needs. I wonder if Miss DuPray's activities will continue with the onset of winter or will she seek warmer climes? If revolution comes the situation here will only deteriorate. I hesitate to suggest it but if we are to apprehend our quarry before further tragedy befalls then we may be compelled to make use of her apparent interest in Miss Carrow. Perhaps if Miss Carrow were to perform her vocal talents at some specified venue such as a salon, for instance, a trap might be set for Miss Dupray. That is, if all parties are willing to take the risk."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wouldn't want to take that chance or ask that of her," says Henry, "though the decision is hers, not mine. There is also still another way we might have to track down Roterstein, though that would put Miss Ines in similar peril. I think the only way I could help the poor woman and reverse what was done to her would be to find out how Roterstein did that to her flesh. If I could do the same, I may be able to reshape it. She'll never look as she did before, but I think I could at least restore some functionality. I wouldn't expect Miss Dupray to cease her activities because the weather is getting colder. If anything, she can use that to stir up support. A harsh winter will cause more starvation, and hungry people are desperate. Civilisation is but a few meals from anarchy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"There is also still another way we might have to track down Roterstein, though that would put Miss Ines in similar peril."

"Do you refer to the idea of my taking to the streets as bait?" asks Ines. "I am still willing. He knows my face now, though he did not seem to realise my purpose when we met, or connect me to you, so it may still meet with success."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed, perhaps we might find our way to Miss Dupray more easily by locating Professor Roterstein. If that was him we encountered in the armory at the cathedral then he is evidently much less guarded than Miss Dupray."

Lila describes the box discovered at the cathedral to Doctor North who may be able to identify its purpose.

When she has a spare moment in the day she tests the strange disc she was given in the armory. She goes to a small garden area and selects a tree to use as a target then releases the disc toward it as instructed, expecting it will simply fall.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Doctor North is easily able to translate the Latin inscription upon the mysterious box.

Made by Red Stone the year of Our Lord 1788

Evidently the creator of this object took pride in its workmanship.
Spoiler:
INT = 13 + 1 scientific knowledge + 3 mechanical genius + 1 TI = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Upon closer examination, it appears that the word "box" is something of a misnomer; there is no indication that it is meant to be opened, or that it contains anything to which access is intended. Rather, the unusually heavy items within serve as its mechanism, much as the workings of a clock. In what manner it is to be activated is not entirely clear, but there are slight indentations, barely detectable to the touch, into which is seems likely one's fingers are to be placed and pressure applied. As to the nature of its action, the most suggestive clue is a tiny hole on one side, whose interior shape seems designed to amplify any sound which would come from within.

Having made her way to an isolated part of a nearby arbor, Miss Davenport tosses the strange disc in the direction of a sapling.
Spoiler:
dex = 18[dice]1[/dice]
This simple action taken with her usual grace, the disc produces a low whirring sounds and spins rapidly as it approaches the tree. As it reaches its target what seems to be a number of small blades emerge (although the spinning renders this sight little more than a blur.) The sapling is cut in half more neatly than any saw could have done. Seemingly of its own accord, the disc then alters its flight and heads in the direction of Miss Davenport.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
It returns to her hand like a loyal pet. It is obvious that a person not so agile as Miss Davenport would not be able to handle it with complete safety.

It remains to be seen in what manner Ines shall play the part of a Judas Goat.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Since Miss Davenport is experimenting, Ines shall do the same, donning the black gloves and - with a little self-consciousness - punching a different sapling.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Since Miss Davenport is experimental, Ines shall do the same, donning the black gloves and - with a little self-consciousness - punching a different sapling.
Spoiler:
STR = 9 + 1 boxing = 10[dice]0[/dice]
It is notable that, whilst striking at the little tree, Ines feels as if some unseen being were guiding her hand. It strikes with much more force than would be expected, sending the top of the sapling flying off into the woods.

It seems that, having been used in this manner, the gloves feel slightly tighter around her hands.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:It seems that, having been used in this manner, the gloves feel slightly tighter around her hands.

Is Ines able to get the gloves off again?

Regarding the question of Ines as Judas-goat, it was in the Palais-Royale that Roterstein approached the demimondaines.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:It seems that, having been used in this manner, the gloves feel slightly tighter around her hands.

Is Ines able to get the gloves off again?

Regarding the question of Ines as Judas-goat, it was in the Palais-Royale that Roterstein approached the demimondaines.
The gloves are barely removable, as if they had shrunk after being washed in water too warm and allowed to dry in the sun.

The brave Gypsy appears willing to offer herself as bait. It remains to be seen if any of her comrades will accompany her to the Palais Royale and keep watch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you are willing to take the risk," says Henry to Ines, "then Ivan and I shall stand ready to protect you." He examines the device. "This is fascinating. Could this device allow one to preserve a sound and cause it to echo at a later time? That would explain how Violette DuPray's voice was heard. It is a pity Roterstein does not use his talents for good instead of evil."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"These weapons appear to be intended to potentially harm the bearer as much as the victim," Lila observes. "Which would be in keeping with Miss Dupray's apparent intent to sow disorder." She will keep the disc anyway.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

No doubt with some trepidation, Ines returns to the Palais Royale and the company of the two Spanish prostitutes, who are pleased to introduce her to their trade. For the moment they allow the Gypsy to simply observe the various negotiations that are made with libertines, a few of whom pause to give Ines an uninvited caress or offer a double entendre.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 3 Beautiful = 14[dice]0[/dice]
The peculiar-looking man whom Ines has formerly seen as the armorer approaches, no doubt drawn both by her beauty and her exotic features.

-- It is the one who pays for pain! -- one of the women whispers. -- He is very rich, sister, if you can endure what he calls love! Santiago! I would not go to his bedchamber, but perhaps you are braver than I. --

The man approaches with a palm full of gold coins. It is far more than is normally paid for an evening of embraces. He addresses Ines in her native tongue.

-- You are not afraid of the knife's edge, are you, my pretty one? Surely these glittering discs would more than compensate for a moment's torment? --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will be used enough to free attentions from her nights performing in taverns - she will fend off what she can, endure what she must, and answer back when it will amuse the other girls.

When the man appears, she will steel herself to talk to him. His address suggests he doesn't recognise her, which surprises her a little, given his other insights. "I am of the Gitani people, My Lord," she answers him, trying to sound flirtatious rather than afraid. "We know well that true joy comes only after pain." But she silently prays that the others are watching and will not lose track of her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry and Ivan keep a close watch on Ines, ready to follow her and protect her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila, too, is poised to follow.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The man takes Ines by the arm. (His touch is unusually cold, but perhaps that is merely a sign of the approaching winter.) Through a maze of alleys he leads her, pausing once to kick aside a stray dog. Its whines echo off the damp stone walls as it scurries away. At a plain wooden door he presses his hand against a rectangle of dull gray metal. The door opens with a soft whirring sound.

-- Merely one of my toys, -- he explains.

With that he leads her inside and closes the door.

The room within is small but comfortably appointed. The man gestures for Ines to sit near a small table upon which a deep blue flask and two small glasses rest. He pours an amber liquid into each glass.

-- Let us drink to the marriage of Heaven and Hell! --

He takes a sip of the liquid with a sigh of satisfaction.

Those without will have noted that the man made no evident attempt to avoid being followed. An ear held to the door renders the conversation within understandable.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Having seen the man drink the liquid himself, Ines will risk a small sip, but no more than that. "To Heaven and Hell," she will respond.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This response brings a thin smile to the man's lips.

The liquid has a pleasant but unusual taste, mingling sweetness with a touch of bitter herbs. It does not seem to produce the effects of alcoholic beverages. Rather it sharpens the senses. Everything in the room seems brighter and more colorful; a touch of cold air, entering the room through a small cranny and hardly noticeable before, is sharply felt upon the skin; even the sound of one's own heartbeat is clearly audible.

-- Excellent. Now we can begin. --

The man places the tip of what seems to be nothing more than an ordinary pin against the Gypsy's palm. It feels much heavier than one would expect.

-- Are you ready to earn the first coin? --

Return to “Ghastly Affair”