Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mister Witherly appears to be quite himself again, although he has no memory of his strange behavior.

After much discussion, there is general agreement that, although every human soul is composed of multiple traits, there are certain aspects which are dominant. To state that each person in the room could be described by only one of the colors is much too simplistic; yet as a general guideline they are evocative of the various persons assembled.

"As to what use this information may be," Mister Witherly remarks, "I cannot say. I may note, however, that certain words within the circle of colors appear to be in direct opposition to each other. As an obvious example, consider how Morality is opposed to Amorality. In this case we are agreed as to which is preferable. Other cases are more complex, such as the opposition of Instinct and Technology. Surely it would be best to maintain a balance between natural wisdom and mechanical ingenuity. Again, however, I do not know how this may help us in our quest."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Fascinating," says Henry. "The drawing is quite accurate when it comes to the four of us, and it makes sense that it would be likewise about the mirror - or rather the spirits trapped in it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed," Lila concurs. "And if I am correct in my understanding of what Mister Witherly says then we may observe that the mirror, as exemplified by the black characteristics of selfishness and amorality, are directly in opposition to the white characteristic of morality as exemplified by Miss Carrow or the green of interdependence which we may find in Ines. Hence perhaps one of them will be best suited to guide us in this matter." So saying, she offers the mirror to Ines.
Last edited by Rooter on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

With the mirror in her hand, Ines tries to think quickly - if Miss Davenport is correct, then it would seem the Gypsy's first impulse would probably be the most correct when it comes to the wraith. Still, she speaks slowly when she says, "If interdependence is the key, then perhaps it will need all four of us. It did to trap the thing in the first place - any one of us would have been struck down, probably any two of us. But perhaps I or we can speak to it through the mirror. As malevolent as it has proved, it would take any way it can to hurt one of us, even words if that is all it has. Dr North, that trick you use to break up the light - is there a way to cause only the green light to shine on the mirror?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That isn't a problem," says Henry. "All I need is a green lens or other piece of tinted glass."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Then, if you were to do so, way the glass touched us earlier might affect only me. Perhaps I could use it to speak with the wraith, while Miss Davenport would be unaffected and able to guard against an attempt to escape, and Miss Carrow's guidance may help me not to get lost in the mirror's effect. I wish your friend Mr Rachman were. He would know if I were speaking nonsense."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a simple matter to obtain a piece of green glass from the innkeeper.

When the emerald beam of light is projected onto the surface of the mirror, it blurs for a moment, then resolves itself into the face of a woman. Her hair is very long and tangled, and of a dark green color. Her skin is pale green, her eyes large and bright green. She somehow seems both young and old at the same time. She glances at each of the adventurers but settles her gaze on Ines.

"Why have you summoned me, daughter?" Her voice resonates from within the mirror as if she were standing in a vast chamber.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I sought the one who hurt me," says Ines - she's not sure whether this woman is the wraith or some other spirit - Miss Davenport mentioned others in the mirror.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"The way is open to you."

With those words the woman disappears, her image replaced by the scene of a primeval forest. Mighty trees lift their leafy brows above a clearing, through which small furry creatures scurry. Bird flutter over them. All in in shades of green.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Miss Carrow, please squeeze my hand if you can hear me," Ines murmurs softly. With that, she begins to venture through the forest, away from the Sun (toward the dark) if such a direction can be determined here.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There is general astonishment as the Gypsy passes through the surface of the mirror, shrinking in size to match the minuscule forest scene which can be seen within. Miss Carrow is unable to comply with the wish expressed to her; anyone else who touches the mirror finds it to be only ordinary glass, and impassible. However, communication is perfectly possible between the two worlds. As Ines journeys through the forest, the view in the mirror changes for the onlookers so that she is always in sight. She is able to hear the voices of her companions, and they her.

Walking, as intended, away from the green sun within the mirror, following trails that are no more than deer paths, Ines notes that the emerald-tinted creatures show no fear of her, only curiosity. Now and then a small bird alights on her shoulder for a moment. Lizards scurry over her feet and squirrels chatter from the trees.

Eventually her wanderings bring Ines to a darker part of the forest, where the trees are twisted with age and nearly black. Spider webs hang low from their branches. A bit further on, where there is very little light, misty, cloud-pale shapes can be seen drifting among the trees, in vaguely human shape.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines is initially frightened at not being able to feel Miss Carrow's hand in response to her plea, but then reassured by being able to hear the others' words. She continues into the gloomy region of the forest, and eventually speaks out loud to the misty shapes, "Are you here?"

She is doing her best to keep track of where she's moved, but even for an experienced wander, I assume that wouldn't be easy.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In response, multiple hollow voices respond in a wide variety of languages; some, perhaps, not heard by mortal ears for centuries. The voices are those of both men and women; a few seem to be those of children. Many of the words they speak cannot be understood. Among those that can, it would seem that they are questioning the visitor in weariness and resignation.

Who are you? Why are you here? Can you not leave us to our torment?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I am sorry," says Ines. "I do not mean to distress or disturb you." (How many of them are there here, she thinks) "I am seeking one who is my enemy. One who hurt me before being trapped here." (If the wraith can hear her, she is hoping the words will make it angry enough to respond).
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

One of the vague shapes -- it would appear there are dozens -- approaches. Although its form is more blurred than when first encountered, it is evident that it is the wraith encountered at the standing stone. It speaks not in words, but in thoughts.

-- There is nothing you can do to me, nor I to you. What would you have of me? --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The man you killed, before we fought. He aspired to wizardry. He sought out your resting place. Why would he do such a thing? What could you have offered him?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- Many have come seeking power. They are fools. I offer only death to all who live. Would that I still had the strength to show them my hate! Within here I am helpless. --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"What happened to make you hate so? You must have been different once."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- Ages before your God walked the Earth in human form I was honored among my people as High Priest of the Standing Stones. Magicked they were into the places they now stand. Many were the sacrifices made under the midsummer Moon. Often I bore the sacred mistletoe in our rituals. Then the old Gods grew silent, and my people drifted away from their duties. I grew old and feeble and died. They buried me and cursed my resting place. I swore that if ever I were released I would have my revenge upon all who lived, and so I would, had I not been trapped within this glass. --

The figure approaches more closely, and speaks in a low voice.

-- Shatter the glass, and release me, and I will give you powers undreamed of by mortals! Together we shall reign over the four corners of the Earth! --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I would need to know who you are before deciding such a thing. A name I could speak at your resting place, to remind the people there what they should fear."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”