Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by SunlessNick »

"That is not why we are here," says Ines with a little heat. "The child is her blood. Does that mean nothing?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The passionate words of the Gypsy girl seem to have reached the ears of the Chevalière LaMont. In a few moments footsteps can be heard echoing through what must be cavernous rooms. Soon an elderly woman dressed in fine, if somewhat old-fashioned clothing, heavily powdered and wigged, emerges. She pushes aside the servant roughly. Despite her advanced age, she stands tall and straight. It is apparent that her body and will are as strong as those of a much younger woman.

"I have not heard English spoken here for many months. Are you another one of my late son's dalliances? And who are these others with you?"

She points an intricately carved ivory cane -- which is obviously used more for dramatic effect than as an aid in walking -- at Doctor North.

"You claim to be an Earl. Then you must understand why it is impossible for me to accept the claim of a commoner that she bears my son's child. Half the wanton beauties in France and England might say the same! No! I am the last of the LaMonts."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I understand your skepticism," says Henry, "but what reason would she have to lie? She asks for nothing. Would you not like it to be true, to know that you are not the last of your line, but that you have kin?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
This would seem to be more an emotional appeal than a rational one, so:
CHA = 9 + 3 for Good Manners + 1 TI = 13[dice]0[/dice]
The Chevalière LaMont appears to be somewhat mollified by the aristocratic bearing and courtly manner of Doctor North.

"Hmmm. I suppose it would be best to ensure that no usurper attempts to claim a title for her bastard to which she has no claim. Come in, you and your servants, and let us discuss the matter."

Although this may not be the exact response expected, it is sufficient to allow the party to enter the chateau. The Chevalière LaMont marches into the great hall, not looking back to see is she is being followed.
Spoiler:
General Wisdom roll for the entire party, 12 being the highest + 1 TI = 13[dice]1[/dice]
As the Chevalière LaMont invites the adventurers to be seated and introductions are made. (She is obviously surprised to discover that there is only one servant present, but is too polite to mention the matter.) Her servant is directed to provide light refreshments. Light conversation, concerning the weather (which is beginning to grow cold) and other such matters, begins.

At this point all of the adventurers hear a low moaning sound coming from a distant, apparently unused part of the chateau. The Chevalière LaMont takes no notice.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your hospitality, Madame," says Henry. "Did you hear a sound in the distance just now?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"You must pardon me, sir," she replies. "I am slightly deaf. The infirmities of age, you understand."

She exchanges a look with the servant, who goes off to perform some unspoken errand. It is remarkable that, up to this moment, the lady has responded to all conversation as if she has not missed a word.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Trying to emulate the small talk she has observed among her social betters, Ines remarks that Paris has been a delightful experience.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
CHA = 9 -3 for Social Discrimination + 1 for TI = 7[dice]0[/dice]
"Really," drawls the old woman. "It has certainly not changed your . . . unassuming aspect." She glances up and down at Ines as if taking her measure, then looks away with a sigh.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Please accept our sympathies for the loss of your son," Lila says as tactfully as possible. "Was it very recent? It must have been hard for you with no husband for support."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Chevalière LaMont does not reply for a moment. "It has been several months since I lost Pierre," she replies at last. "Not long after he returned from England on one of his excursions. I am afraid he had a taste for pleasures found only in other levels of society than his own." She offers a slight smile. "Perhaps you are not unacquainted with such, if I do not misjudge. I have been a widow for many years, and I may not have supplied the proper discipline offered by a father. In any case, it is evident that, whatever the young woman in question may have told you, even if it may be the truth, I cannot acknowledge the child as a LaMont. I am afraid that your errand has been in vain. If there is nothing else I can do for you..." She rises to her feet, the ivory cane held firmly in hand.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines's head knows she shouldn't say this, but she can't help herself: "But surely if you acknowledged him it would mean your family could go on. Isn't that a good thing?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

With a sniff, the lady replies "I am not certain that you are entirely familiar with the responsibilities of a noble bloodline. The subject is closed."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do understand those burdens, Madame," says Henry with sympathy. "It is not always an advantage to be of noble birth, especially in times such as these. I was hoping we could ask you some questions, seeing as we are newly arrived in Paris and have limited knowledge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Would you allow us ladies the use of your indoor convenience while you converse with the doctor?" Lila asks, rising and motioning to Ines. This is a pretext: she covertly intends to investigate the source of that disturbing moaning sound.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Chevalière LaMont simply nods in response to Miss Davenport's inquiry and waves a hand vaguely in what is evidently the direction of the necessary. Directing her attention to Doctor North, she asks "What else do you wish to know?" There is a slight note of impatience in her tone.

As Ines and Miss Davenport proceed on their covert mission, the low moaning sound, now somewhat muffled, is heard again. It seems to come from a remote part of the chateau, past corridors where paintings have been removed from the walls and the furniture covered with cloths. It is evident that a considerable portion of the estate is no longer in use. Investigation of the sound will require quick wits, stealth, and good fortune. And where is that servant?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Is the floor dusty in this part of the building? (And if so, is there a trail of footprints?).
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Ines has cleverly noticed that footprints can be seen in the dust that covers otherwise unused floors. They lead off into a dark and secluded area of the chateau. The choice remains as to whether they should be followed or not.
Spoiler:
That's the kind of smart idea I like to reward.

Anyone who chooses to follow the footprints should make an Ability Check against Dexterity in order to move silently.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have heard that there has been unrest in Paris lately," says Henry, showing the Chevalière the drawing. "These have been appearing throughout Paris, but we don't know who is printing them or where they are doing it. The woman is Violette Dupray, and she has gone mad. She fancies herself Joan of Arc. Have you heard anything about her or her followers?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I am entirely unacquainted with such a person. Nor do I associate with printers or any other such low artisans. As for unrest -- well! If only each person would accept that they were born to a certain level of society there would soon be an end to that! If they raise their hands against their betters, I would recommend that they be used to test Doctor Guilloitin's proposed mechanism."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Unless the moaning sound is obviously coming from a different direction from where the footprints go, Ines will be for following them (though Miss Davenport is very much her superior in stealth), on the assumption that the serant's errand was related to the first time it was heard.

The other side of the dust's coin is that there will be no concealing that the pair came here - if we're discovered, we could say Ines wandered off, and Miss Davenport came in search of her, not wanting to trouble anyone else over it - it seems the kind of thing the Chevalière would believe.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”