Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: Victoria Silverwolf, VictoriaSilverwolf

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Tue May 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Image

Lila remains silent, casting a quick curious glance at Mister Witherly.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Tue May 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Mr. Handy wrote:"Thank you for taking the time to speak to us, Your Grace," says Henry. "We are here on behalf of these three students who have traveled with us to Canterbury to ask you what the Church's position is on the treatment of adherents to the principles of Methodism and Deism."


"I see. Well, this is hardly the time nor place for a full series of lectures on the subject." With a look to the young men, he adds "Perhaps more time spent in study and less upon the road would be of use to the curious." They seem properly abashed.

"Suffice to say that it is not the position of the Church to persecute Nonconformists as long as they do not violate the law. We shall continue to argue vigorously against the impiety of denying miracles, and against the error of self-anointed priesthood, steering a path between superstition and materialism. Good day to you all. Mister Witherly, please attend to me for a moment."

It is evident that the interview is at an end. All withdraw save Mister Witherly. There is some discussion without the chambers of His Grace. The three students decide to walk back from whence they came, that the journey may provide to make decision as to what decisions they shall make regarding their professions.

When Mister Witherly emerges, he is in a subdued mood. The adventurers have the rest of the day to make arrangements for the voyage across the Channel.

Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d4:
3


The packet will leave for France in three days. The journey by coach to Dover not being a very long one, they may choose to travel thence today, or remain in Canterbury another day and depart on the morrow.

Spoiler:
Each Player present at the meeting with His Grace has gained one Faith point, to be used to reroll one Ability Check when seen fit, due to spiritual inspiration.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Image

While the others are discussing arrangements, Lila approaches Mister Witherly. "You are well, sir? I trust you still intend to accompany us to France?"
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Image

"Is there anything further we wish to do in Canterbury, or should we proceed with our journey?" asks Henry.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28372
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 am

Wruter wrote:
While the others are discussing arrangements, Lila approaches Mister Witherly. "You are well, sir? I trust you still intend to accompany us to France?"


"I? I am as I have been for some time, and will remain until I return to dust. Yes, my dear, dear friend, I will accompany you. Why should I not? There is nowhere the darkness does not pursue, and one place is like to all others."
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Image

Ines has no wish to remain in Canterbury.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Fri May 12, 2017 7:42 pm

There being no evident reason to remain in Canterbury, the adventurers proceed by coach to the ancient port city of Dover. As is well known, it is a busy place with much coming and going across the Strait, where Britain approaches most closely to the continent. Besides the obvious trades of shipping and related arts, it is known for leatherwork and ropemaking. Having such economic importance, it is not surprising that it is one of the most progressive towns in England, with many of its streets paved and lit by oil lamps for nearly a decade. By way of contrast, its strategic position has also made it an important center of human occupation since well before Caesar's legions, and ruins from many different centuries lie hither and yon about. The most famous sights are, of course, the mighty harbour, the vast Dover Castle, and the renowned White Cliffs.

The packet bound for France not due to set sail for two more days, the party has this afternoon and the whole of to-morrow to make such preparations as they see fit. The mail coaches being particularly swift and reliable, they may also send messages to London and environs from the inn where they are to remain for two nights and expect a reply by the next evening.

Image
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Image

Lila decides to take advantage of the mail coaches to perhaps learn something of the Wraith's provenance before leaving England. "Doctor North, might I entreat you to write to the British Museum library in London on my behalf, to request any information on the history of the standing stones at Rochester? I am certain a request from one of your academic and social standing would be acted upon most swiftly."
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Image

Ines attempts to solicit performances and make up for her dismal efforts in Canterbury.

OOC:   Charisma = 9, +3 Beautiful, +3 Dancing Ability, +1 Entertaining
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 5  


Perhaps another day's recovery and distance from the horrific battle against the wraith made the difference, or perhaps it was the atmosphere of the port city and its throngs of travellers that lifted the Gypsy's wanderer spirit, but Ines's peformances are markedly improved over Canterbury.

Ines also asks the others a question regarding the mirror. There has been some consternation about how to keep it safe now the wraith is trapped within. Ines asks, "Can we simply throw it overboard when we are half way across the sea, or is there a danger in that I fail to see?
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:11 am

Image

"I would be delighted, Miss Davenport," says Henry. He quickly drafts a letter that repeats her inquiry and sends it on the mail coach to London for delivery to the British Museum's library, requesting a reply the next day and mentioning that his ship leaves for France the morning after.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28372
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 am

Image

"Indeed, such a course had occurred to me," Lila replies to Ines. "However, doing so would likely break the mirror, and while Wraiths cannot roam freely it must be remembered that when we obtained the mirror there was the possibility of a number of other unknown Spirits already being trapped inside. Hence I feel it best we learn all we can before taking action."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Elizabeth had a vision of two women when she looked in the mirror after we got it, who could also be the same women that Antoine Dupray was having visions of.  
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 pm

The charm of the Gypsy girl's dance has overcome any ill will that the inhabitants of Dover may have towards those of her blood.

Spoiler:
While in Dover the Weakness of Social Discrimination may be ignored.


Whilst awaiting reply from the British Museum, the adventurers enjoy an excursion along an accessible portion of the famous White Cliffs. The sea breeze is brisk and refreshing, if a bit chill. Here and there a curious formation within the chalk offers hints that strange creatures once dwelt hereabouts, and have left images of themselves upon the soft mineral.

"Perhaps some day beings as far removed from humanity as we are from these little creatures may look upon our own earthly remains and wonder," Mister Witherly observes. "How will they know of our fears and sorrows? Did even the tiniest animal whose ghostly shadow remains etched in this chalk weep and tremble?"

After a peaceful night, the next day brings not one, but three pieces of mail. Evidently the delay in reaching Dover has allowed a pair of letters to reach the travelers from other sources. The first, as expected, is from the British Museum and is addressed to the party in general, in the care of Doctor North.

Spoiler:
The Intelligence of the person assigned to research the question concerning the standing stones is 9.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
20


To Whom It May Be Of Interest:

Our investigations have failed to yield any information regarding the person or persons reputed to be interred at the Standing Stones at Rochester. Thank you for your inquiry.

For the British Museum,

J. Smith


The second is addressed to Doctor North. There is no indication that it is intended to be private.

Spoiler:
The Constitution of Mister Beddows, the sufferer from gout, is 9.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
12


My Lord,

I regret to inform you that Mister Beddows' condition has worsened. Far from relieving his gout, the nostrum you prepared for him has led to extended periods of internal upset. I have volunteered to send this message to you on his behalf, fearing that, left to his own devices, his letter would prove intemperate. If you are ever in the vicinity of Lancaster upon another occasion, perhaps you would be kind enough to attempt some other remedy.

In haste,

Mary Jones, Nurse


The third letter is addressed to Miss Davenport, and is also apparently not intended to be for her eyes alone.

Huntress!

The situation in France is worse than I feared. The one who opposes us is sowing the wind of rebellion, and I fear that it is we who shall reap the whirlwind. Take care, and do not fail!

Mrs. P.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 am

Image

Henry writes a reply to the letter from Mary Jones, saying that he is bound for the Continent, but that he will make an effort to visit Mr. Beddows and try a different treatment upon his return. In the event that Mr. Beddows cannot wait that long, he gives Mary the names of some of his fellow physicians who might be of assistance.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28372
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 am

Image

As Doctor North is composing his reply, Lila recalls the seller of nostrums and potions at the market in Canterbury, and relates the encounter to the others. "Perhaps you could send Ivan back to obtain a curative before we depart and send it for delivery to your patient," she suggests. "That is, if there is time enough to return to Canterbury today."
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

After some consideration (and not a little extra payment to the keeper of horses), it is agreed that a swift steed, unburdened by a coach, could make the journey to Canterbury and back by early the next morning, allowing some time to contact the seller of potions and attempt to obtain the desired product. If Ivan is selected to make the journey, it will be necessary to supply him with written instructions for the merchant in question.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 am

Image

"Yes, that is a good suggestion," says Henry. He writes out instructions for Ivan, giving him directions to and the location of the potion-seller's stall in Canterbury, the name and precise dosage of the curative, along with instructions for the nurse to administer it to the patient, and the address of Mr. Beddows in Lancaster where the medicine and the instructions are to be delivered. He also adds a postscript to his letter to let Mary know of the alternative treatment and that it will be shipped shortly, along with another copy of the instructions for administering it.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28372
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 pm

The loyal Russian servant performs the errand as requested. Upon return that evening, he is able to report that the woman in question was discovered and the request explained. Obviously a promise of further payment was made, upon completion of delivery of the curative substance. Whether the substance will be of benefit remains to be seen.

After a restful night the adventurers set out to the harbor, where arrangements are made to board the packet Celerity. Of course, the most important factor is the state of the weather. The master of the packet, having much experience and good instruments, is able to predict with some accuracy what the day will bring, this being the time of year when Nature is often in a capricious mood.

Spoiler:
1 = sunny
2 = cloudy
3 = light rain
4 = heavy rain
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d4:
4


It appears that there will be much precipitation, it the master's glass be reliable. The passengers had best prepare themselves for a soaking.

Of far great importance, at least to the Celerity, are the whims of the winds.

Spoiler:
1 - North
2 - Northeast
3 - East
4 - Southeast
5 - South
6 - Southwest
7 - West
8 - Northwest

Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d8:
1


1 - Slight
2 - Breezy
3 - Strong
4 - Gale

Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d4:
4


It would appear that Notus, the god of the south wind, is in an aggressive temper. The wind is expected to blow very heavily in a northerly direction. Even more of a drenching must be expected by the travelers. The one happy fact is that the south wind will moderate the chill of the rain.

Calais lying to the east-southeast, the Celerity will require much tacking to achieve her intended port, extending the length of the voyage to an appreciable extent.

Spoiler:
2 hrs is the quickest time.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 2d4+2 and got a total of 9:
4, 3


At best, the journey will completed by the late afternoon. The passengers had best make themselves as comfortable as possible, the sea already showing signs of roughness.

Spoiler:
Ines has already proved immune to seasickness.

Mister Witherly CON = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
4


Miss Carrow CON = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
8


Doctor North CON = 14
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
3


Miss Davenport CON = 8
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
14


Ivan CON = 11
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
3


As luck would have it, all aboard the vessel manage to steel themselves against the ravages of mal de mer, save for Miss Davenport, who suffers mightily.

Spoiler:
The effect of Nausea decreases any Ability by 3 for an Ability Check involving mental or physical exertion.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Image

"Oooooohhhhhhh," Lila groans, clinging to the mast in misery. "I'm dying. Someone make it stop."

She reaches into her haversack for the twist of rope she obtained from the sailor in Lancaster, the Knot of Winds, wondering if it could be used to counter the gale. But she thinks better of it for what if it made things worse? So she only prays that either France or the sweet release of death will come soon.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 am

Image

Henry, who has an iron stomach, checks in his medical bag. "I may have something in here that can alleviate nausea," he says.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 28372
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Spoiler:
INT = 12 + 3 Medical Profession +1 TI + 1 Scientific Knowledge = 17
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
16


Doctor North, after much effort, is able to produce a mixture of natural substances, primarily ginger, which provide some relief from the unpleasant effects of seasickness.

Spoiler:
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d3:
1


Although not fully recovered, Miss Davenport does feel somewhat better.

Spoiler:
The penalty for Nausea is reduced to 2.


While the passengers are engaged in this necessary business, the men of the Celerity are busy keeping the swift and reliable little ship under control, as the storm continues to rage. A few mutterings may be heard that it would have been best to remain in port, but the master is one who never neglects his duty. The mail to France must go through in a timely manner! As a particularly strong gust of wind sends the vessel twisting and rocking in the waves, the master takes the wheel from his steersman and battles the elements for control.

Spoiler:
The master's DEX = 9 + 3 for profession of sailor.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
14


To no avail! The master loses control of the wheel. He stumbles back and falls upon the deck. The wheel spins madly as the ship rushes northward at the mercy of the wind. The steersman makes his way back to his post, fighting the gale with every step. With a whispered prayer he attempts to take control of the wheel before the packet loses its way entirely.

Spoiler:
Same DEX
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
1


It seems that Neptune smiles upon him. The steersman's mighty arms grip the wheel and wrestle it back into his command. The other members of the crew pull the master to his feet. "We must make our way to France by the easiest route. Have the pilot plot a course for a harbor we can reach with this blasted wind fighting us all the way."

With a shout of "Aye," the message is conveyed and the necessary calculations made under conditions which are not conducive to mental efforts.

Spoiler:
Pilot's INT = 9 + 3 for profession
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
14


Perhaps suffering from the effects of seasickness himself, the pilot's route is not as accurate as it might be. Having attempted to reach the French harbor of Dunkerque, the Celerity instead reaches the continent some distance to the north, well within the Austrian Netherlands. Although nominally under the control of the Habsburgs, this region serves primarily as a barrier against French aggression towards the Dutch Republic. Given the multiple wars and rebellions that have raged in the area for many years, foreigners are often viewed with suspicion.

The steersman is able to find a small natural harbor where the Celerity may rest. The passengers are able to reach land safely, albeit in a wet and disheveled condition. The master commands his crew to make the necessary preparations for a return to England on the morrow. The weather having cleared, the adventurers will be able to dry themselves and their possessions in the warmth of the setting sun. They will, of course, remain aboard for the night, but by the time dawn appears they will have to decide whether they will return with the packet and attempt once more their journey to the Continent from the beginning, or whether they would prefer to remain here, in the hope that they will be able to make their way to France on land. In the latter case, the master of the Celerity will entrust the mail to their care.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

PreviousNext

Return to Ghastly Affair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest