Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: The Salon: Out of Character Conversation

Post by Rooter »

Victoria was having problems accessing the site so has asked me to let you know that she will be away for a few days.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Well, the Kindle Scout route wasn't to be for the book. I can't say I'm not disappointed but now it's a case of keep on looking, keep on trying.

Thank you all for your support in the attempt, Victoria, Mr. Handy, Lee, Priest.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Oh, and thanks also to Daniel James Hanley, the creator of Ghastly Affair, who gave the campaign a mention on the "Engine of Oracles" site.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

SunlessNick has been observing our game and sent me a message about it. I have invited him to join, either taking over the role of Mister Rachman or creating a new character. I told him I would ask your opinion one way or the other.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Very happy to have SunlessNick aboard - we've met before at Engine of Oracles, I believe.

If a new character is preferred perhaps Rachman could say farewell and sail back to the East on the ship we visited yesterday in the port.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd be glad for SunlessNick to join us too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

I too would have no objection. Perhaps he may be able to work out the answer to this damned riddle :?
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

I will be away from the computer for several days.

If our new member shows up, please help in character creation and whatever else is necessary.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Looks like Priest is away for a week too, so at least SunlessNick has plenty of time.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

The post reply button has appeared on my page display, so Hi, and thankyou for allowing me to join in. (Though I'm afraid I would have been no help with that riddle - my own theory was that it was intended as a mocking characterisation of Dr North himself).

Anyway, Victoria said there was a choice between my playing Dr Rachman or a new character. The new character I have in mind is of the Gypsy Class, Ines Maya:

Ines is the daughter of a functionary from the Spanish diplomatic mission to the British Crown (whose name I haven't come up with yet, and is well out of Ines's life anyway) and his Gitana mistress Lucia - she was born in Spain, and brought to England with her parents. Spain's support for the American Revolutionaries caused many among the mission to return to Spain - among them was Ines's father, who knowing that he had to establish a new niche for himself quickly, decided that a Gypsy mistress and daughter would be disadvantageous, and abandoned Lucia and Ines without looking back - worse was the fact that Lucia had taken ill with consumption, and died not long after, leaving Ines alone.

She didn't want to find herself in an orphanage or similar institution, so for the last ten years - by now, she'd be in her early twenties - she's been making her way as she can, moving from city to city. She hasn't been able to join any of England's Gypsy bands, as her Spanish side is a black mark even to them. The only reliable livings available to a girl like her would be entertainment, petty crime, and whoring - she's managed to avoid the latter, thankfully, and is a good enough singer and dancer to benefit from the former - the middle one, well, happens sometimes. As a Gitana, she's not blind to the presence of weirder things in the world, and will be intrigued by those who know of them too.

Personality: Watchful - alternates between extravagently extrovert when she's performing, and unobtrisive otherwise, with little in between - a streak of honour that might be surprising to see in someone like her. I rolled 3d6 for Perversity and got 14, which doesn't seem inappropiate.

As you have no doubt discerned, however, Ines is hardly the sort of person that would naturally join the existing company, which means there'd be a bit of work for Victoria to write her in. I had suggested that she be in trouble with the next suitable supernatural villain, and either join you to see it dead, or if it's killed at the time, to help you with your own troubles in repayment. Do any of you have better ideas?

If nothing seems workable, then I could take over Mr Rachman instead. While I want to get my "beautiful girl whom dark forces are want to imperil" opportunity while I can :), Mr Rachman is a character I find interesting, and playing him would also be fun.

If everyone likes the sound of Ines, I'll take this to the Dramatis Personae and work on more detailed stats. I have a copy of the game, and obviously Victoria's rules are also in that thread.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome! You couldn't post in this board earlier because you need to have your account validated. Usually new users post in the Game Recruitment area, and I validate them when I see their posts. Then they can post in the game boards. Since I knew you were joining, I went ahead and validated you. Any Keeper, Global Moderator, or Administrator can validate someone, but I don't think the instructions have been posted anywhere convenient (a sticky in the Keeper's Lounge might be best).

Ines sounds great to me!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ah, thankyou, on both counts. I've corrected the omission and posted on the welcome board now. :oops:
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Ines sounds good to me too. Had you considered that there could be some link with the Gypsy we already have associated with the party - Magda?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Actually, scratch that last thought regarding Magda - it's probably something for Victoria to decide.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Wruter wrote:Actually, scratch that last thought regarding Magda - it's probably something for Victoria to decide.
If there was a connection, the easiest option would be if Lucia was from the same band rather than a Gitana and left them when she took up with the Spaniard. Not much would have to change about Ines but her dancing style and languages she knows. It's vanishingly unlikely she would recognise Magda, though Magda might recognise her resemblance to her mother. It'd be a heck of a coincidence, but that's hardly out of genre. I agree though, Victoria's call.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The new character is fine. I will come up with some way to introduce her to the party.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

SunlessNick I put your picture in a reverse image search and it looks like the above tiny one is the only other version online.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Thankyou very much.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Away for a day, then back for a day, then away for three days, the n back for several.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

More schedule craziness:

Away for a day, then back for a few days, then away for a few days, then back.

In other words, expect irregular posts for a while.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”