Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Rooter »

"I agree," Lila concurs. "With Mary still under the fiend's sway 'twould be a risk to allow him to strike again. Yet this talk of gatework and masonry is concerning. If he has constructed some form of tomb we may find it impregnable without tools.

"A supply of Holy Water would be desirable but there is no certainty that we could obtain any in this Presbyterian land," she adds. "Miss Carrow, I have an extra dagger I shall lend to you for protection, though I hope you will not have cause to use it."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Arrangements are made for the necessary number of steeds and the expedition sets out. The ride is not unpleasant, with a warm morning sun at the back of our adventurers as they wend their way west through valleys and over hills. Often a glimpse of a gentle stream sparkles to the south as it flows to the Solway Firth.

The sun is nearly overhead when Caerlaverock is seen from a rise.

"Ah-ha," Mister Witherly says. "I thought I had heard that name before. Of course. During some antiquarian studies in which I was engaged some years ago, I came across a description of this ancient fortification. It dates back to about the year 1300. You will note, even at this distance, the striking triangular structure, as well as the double moats which surround it. Just a moment, please."

He removes quill, paper, and ink from his pack and makes a quick sketch of the castle.

"Here, to the best of my recollection, is the design of the interior of the place."

As the riders approach it can be seen that little remains of the outer moat save grassy marshes. The inner moat still survives, and is filled with dark green vegetation which permits very little of the water to be seen. The drawbridge still exists, although it appears to be in less than perfect condition. It has been let down, perhaps to allow the curious to investigate a site of great historic interest. It can be seen that much of the castle is in ruins, although some parts remain intact.

The party is able to circle the fortification to examine all sides. From the south, opposite the drawbridge, one can see that a portion of the outer wall has fallen, although the tower seems in reasonably good shape.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It occurs to Henry that Holy Water would have been easier to come by had one of the Jacobite uprisings succeeded and Scotland had embraced Catholicism again, but Bonnie Prince Charlie had died earlier this year, and his cause had been long since lost. "We'll have to cross that drawbridge," says Henry. "It's the only way in, unless you fancy a swim."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The group will have time to decide who should cross first. It is evident that the drawbridge, in its current state of disrepair, would not be safe for a very large number of persons, or, for that matter, more than one horse, if it were thought necessary to lead the mounts to the castle.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Perhaps Mister Witherly would be kind enough to hold the horses here while the rest of us venture inside?" Lila suggests. "I am happy to cross first, being fairly light and dexterous."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth smiles at Lila, "Your willingness to face danger does you credit, but I think it might prove prudent to allow one of the gentlemen to cross first. Possibly one with a pistol" She turns to Henry and places a gentle hand on his arm, "Dear Henry perhaps you would be so kind?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Normally, I let ladies go first," says Henry, "but under the circumstances, you raise a good point, dear Elizabeth. I would be willing to lead the way if Miss Davenport has no objection, though she is clearly more graceful than I and capable of looking after herself. On the other hand, she is wounded. It is an excellent idea to have someone hold the horses. If they are not here when we leave, we might not get back to safety before dark."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"As you wish, Doctor," Lila replies. "But please be careful."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I will be, Miss Davneport," says Henry. "Ivan, you had best wait until I'm across. I wouldn't trust this bridge to take the weight of two of us at a time." With his pistol in his right hand and his cane in his left, he sets off across the drawbridge, using the cane to test the bridge ahead of him to make sure it is stable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth feels a rush of warmth surge through her veins as Henry steps forward most gallantly. She allows her hand to linger gently upon his arm as he moves to step forward, "Do take care my dear, dear Henry" she gushes as he, cutting the figure of a Greek hero of old, begins the crossing.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The drawbridge appears to be stable enough to hold one person at a time, although it does creak a bit when crossed. Two might test its strength, and three or more would appear to be excessive.

When one has reached the other side it can be seen that the main entrance has recently been reinforced with new masonry, applied in a somewhat amateurish fashion. As well, what must be the gate described by the smith has replaced the original ironwork. In all, this entryway is a formidable defense, if not absolutely impregnable.

From here the two north towers, their battlements crumbling, loom above the weed-choked moat, their high, narrow windows looking down like empty eyes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Once he has safely crossed the bridge, Henry gestures for Ivan to come and join him. If his hulking servant's strength is not enough to force the gate open, he can't imagine what would be.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The mighty servant makes use of every ounce of strength and manages to pull the gate out of its sockets. It crashes to the ground with a loud clang. Ivan's breath comes hard and fast and his brow is covered with sweat.
Spoiler:
Opening the gate required a Feat of Strength. With a base strength of 16 + 3 for Feat + 1 for TI, automatic success. Ivan will not be able to perform another Feat until the next day.
A familiar voice echoes through the cavernous and labyrinthine interior of the castle. It is impossible to tell from which direction it emanates.

"Don't have to wake the dead! I left Davy a note, said I'd be with my friend a spell. Now that you're here, we'll have a game. Hide and seek!"

It is evident that Mary, still in thrall to Lupescu, has taken some opportunity to desert her groom and rush to the side of the one to whom she is unnaturally devoted. All attempts to call to her are met with silence.

Beyond the gate a narrow hallway leads to a central chamber, from which one may access staircases leading to either of the two front towers. Two halls branch out from this central room, each one of which contains doors leading to various small rooms, as may be deduced from the memory of Mister Witherly's sketch. It is impossible to determine where either Mary or Lupescu may be at this moment.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Perhaps we should be better able to apprehend Mary if we divide our resources," Lila suggests. "There are two halls and staircases. Perhaps myself and Mister Rachman would search the rooms in one direction while Doctor North and Elizabeth the other."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good job on the gate, Ivan," says Henry. "I'm wary of splitting the group, Miss Davenport, but if you think it best, we can do it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   I'm really not sure. I'm generally thinking in terms of what could give the best opportunities for drama rather than 'winning' but I realize I'm an inexperienced game player. Maybe Elizabeth can decide for us.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Having picked her way carefully across the bridge, Elizabeth listens to Henry's words with more than a little apprehension. "Whilst your plan does have merit, indeed splitting into two groups would allow us to cover more ground in the limited time we have, I am not sure it would be the wisest course" She gazes up toward the sun as if to judge how much daylight is available to them.

"Our last meeting with this 'vampyr' almost ended with disaster, in fact for Mary it was a disaster. Henry was saved by chance from falling under the creatures power, and if Henry again is overwhelmed then we lose both him and his servant, Ivan. Together Lila and Mr Rachman may be able to fight off its evil powers, but I fear that it is not so for Henry and myself" She smiles and pats Henry's hand in a familiar manner, "So dear friends I feel it might be best to stay together. However I will bide by the majority decision, Mr Rachman what say you sir?"...
Lila,I dont think 'winning' is an issue, there will be many opportunitys for us to die yet :)
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Well, remember Lila and Elizabeth were immune to the mesmerism but Dr North and Rachman had to make ability checks. So if it comes down to a fight Elizabeth might have to attack if both the others are incapacitated.  
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Rachman agrees that exploring the two areas of the castle (four, if one wishes to count separately the hallways and the towers) will save time, which may be a more important factor than the possible weakness of having two teams rather than one. "The night is our enemy," he points out. "Let us make use of the sun, our ally."

"Allow me to demonstrate a particular skill which may be of benefit," he says. "My companion and I have a special way of sharing information."

With that he appears to go into a trance, while the monkey races down first one hallway, then another. It soon returns, and Mister Rachman returns to his normal condition.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
"I am able to report that there are four rooms to the left and two rooms to the right worthy of exploration; the others have been completely reduced to rubble, and there is no possibility of anyone hiding there.

As you have seen, I am able to communicate with the animal in an uncommon way. Although this is obviously very useful, the disadvantage is that I am reduced to a fully passive state while it is acting as my eyes and ears. As well, if any harm came to it, the consequences to myself would be grave.

That said, I am at your disposal. Where shall we begin our search?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry smiles back at Elizabeth. "Yes, we had best all stay together," he says. "Perhaps if we can eliminate the two rooms to the right first, then we could all go to the left."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”