Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Rooter »

Lila reads this latest note with a sinking dread. One gone... Has Herr Hoffer fallen prey to their mysterious enemy? For a moment she wonders if the source of these threats might be located within Harcourt House itself--but better to investigate all other possibilities first. Gathering her weapons she takes a horse and heads out toward the ruined abbey and churchyard to begin another search. Recalling Mister Rachman's facility for tracking she requests that gentleman to accompany her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think he's definitely showing some improvement," says Henry. "The side effects are somewhat concerning, but they're milder than those of the other metals and certainly preferable to the curse. A couple more days of treatment should restore him, I think."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Spoiler:
Having already done some successful tracking during this Affair, the 10 point penalty for inexperience with tracking will no longer be deducted from Mister Rachman's Ability Check.

Wisdom = 17

[dice]0[/dice]
Careful examination of the path leading to the ruins reveals a chaotic mixture of footprints. Mister Rachman is able to deduce that there was a struggle recently, as if someone were dragged in the direction of the ruins against his will.

The trail continue to the abbey and the graveyard, where it becomes more difficult to follow.
Spoiler:
The adventurers will please indicate if there are any particular areas they would like to search.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"We have already encountered one Revenant from the graveyard," Lila muses grimly. "If Herr Hoffer was attacked by another such creature then among the dead would seem the likeliest place to search." She pauses as another thought strikes her. "Although the notes I received suggested a greater intelligence than a mindless Revenant ... and Herr Hoffer has been missing for two nights now while the only shelter nearby is the ruined abbey... Still, let us first make certain that none of the graves are disturbed. And let us be on our guard."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Wisdom = 12

[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Wisdom = 17

[dice]1[/dice]
The adventurers search among the graves. Mister Rachman is able to determine that the contents of one have been recently exhumed, and the grave carefully arranged in an attempt to make it seem as if it had been left undisturbed.

If the adventurers wish to open the grave, they will require the proper tools and possibly some help.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I fear the worst for Herr Hoffer," Lila mutters, her fingers straying reflexively to the stake in her haversack. "Let us return to Harcourt House to fetch tools and assistance. And perhaps Doctor North and Miss Carrow ought to be here as witnesses."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is thought best to wait until the next day to return to the graveyard, since it has taken until late afternoon to return to Harcourt House. The night is uneventful.

Mister Harcourt's treatment continues.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
His recovery continues at a moderate pace, with no obvious intolerance for the gold, and no worsening of his inappropriate levity. Another day may bring complete recovery, if no problems occur.

Magda seems to be in improved spirits as Mister Harcourt's condition improves.

The adventurers have the rest of the day to plan who will return to the graveyard, and what equipment they will need. Mister Witherly expresses a willingness to participate in the excursion.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Shovels, lanterns and a crowbar will be necessary," Lila says. "Hopefully these can be borrowed from the house's stock. There will be some digging and lifting to be done. I hesitate to ask such a thing of the regular servants but perhaps Davros or Doctor North's manservant can be persuaded to assist in the physical labor. Mister Witherly, we should be most glad of your presence. Elizabeth, I quite understand if you do not wish to partake of this unsavory enterprise," she adds, recalling Miss Carrow's propensity for fainting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ivan is more than capable of any heavy lifting and manual labor required," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth inclines her head slightly towards Lila, "Thank you for your concern, but I would not dream of remaining here in safety while my dear friends face uncertain dangers" She smiles, but in reality has more fear of being alone in this house that in some dark graveyard with her comrades, "Besides, I may be of some small assistance"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There is sufficient daylight left to undertake this unpleasant task. With the proper tools, Ivan is able to open the grave with little trouble, assisted when necessary by others.

"I trust we will not be arrested as graverobbers," Mister Witherly observes. "The Old Bailey holds no charms for me."

Ivan opens the lid of the coffin. Within lies the lifeless body of Mister Hoffer. The extreme paleness of his skin suggests that he has been drained of blood.

There is somber silence among the witnesses. Miss Carrow, having been prepared for a disturbing sight, is able to avoid losing consciousness. It is also evident that this is a sight with which Miss Davenport is all too familiar.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good work, Ivan," Henry tells his servant. He then regards the drained corpse. "Completely exsanguinated. I'm no expert on the subject, but I can't help thinking that Herr Hoffer has been the victim of a vampyre - or he has been made to appear that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth, despite the ice that suddenly fills her veins at sight of the corpse, is able, this time, to maintain a degree of composure, notwithstanding the slow trickle of sweat that inches its way down her spine. She reaches out and takes Henry's arm for support, while whispering, as if afraid her voice may disturb others from their sleep, "Vampyres? But surely they are nothing more than creatures of myth and imagination?"

As she utters the question, her mind flashes back to the party at the Dupray's and the odd fellow costumed as one of those creatures. Surely not, she thinks, and thrusts the image from her thoughts
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila's heart sinks at the familiar yet all too terrible fate which has befallen Herr Hoffer. She feels partly responsible for his death: if she had not been gone that night to try to help Antoine Dupray with his visions then perhaps she could have done something to prevent Herr Hoffer's demise.

"They are no myths, I fear," she replies to Elizabeth then steels herself for what she knows must now be done. "Those who have died an unnatural death may be cursed to rise again as one of the undead unless the necessary steps are taken," she tells the others, as she pulls out a wooden stake and mallet. She drives the stake through Herr Hoffer's heart with a single blow, anger lending her strength.

I will find and destroy the abomination which did this.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth listens to Lila's words yet only half hears them as she watches her comrade hammer a wooden stake into the corpse of the deceased Herr Hoffer. As a result the clouds of darkness, which until now she had kept at bay, engulfed her vision, with a short gargled cry of "Henry, I..!" she falls into a deep swoon.
OOC:   No roll needed, Elizabeth true to her nature faints. Trusting that Henry will catch her before she hits the dirt.  
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Once the stricken Miss Carrow has recovered from her spell, it is a melancholy party which makes its way back to Harcourt House. It is not surprising that all spend a restless night.

The next morning, despite the unnerving experience of the previous evening, Mister Harcourt's treatment must continue.
Spoiler:
Effect: [dice]0[/dice]
Allergy: [dice]1[/dice]
Side effect: [dice]2[/dice]
To the relief of all, the treatment appears to be completely successful. Mister Harcourt appears quite well, aside from a certain inappropriate lightness of manner. When the events of the night are related, for example, his reaction is limited to "Tut, Tut," and "Poor old fellow." He then seems to forget about Herr Hoffer's terrifying fate entirely. Rather he takes to drinking an immoderate quantity of wine and spirits, making jokes which are not always in the best possible taste, and grabbing the hands of the ladies' and spinning them around, quite against their will, in a mockery of formal dances.

Suddenly his attention to drawn to Magda, who has witnessed this transformation with no small degree of astonishment.

"We shall marry immediately."

Before she can reply, he turns to Mary and Davros. "You also. Oh, ho, do not to pretend that such has not been on your mind, my son! Yes, I publicly acknowledge you as my true heir, and tonight you shall be legitimized. We shall have a double wedding! Quickly, someone go fetch a clergyman."

"If I may offer my services," Mister Witherly says, "I may be able to save you much time. I am, in fact, a vicar. I am not currently associated with a particular parish, due to certain difficulties, but I am able to perform the ceremony."

Mister Harcourt claps his hands together rapidly. "Splendid! If there are no objections, let us proceed."

Despite some astonishment, it would seem that Mary and Davros are nothing loath to be bound in holy matrimony. Even Magda, her wild Gypsy spirit somewhat tamed by the loss of her fellows, is compliant.

It seems that the unconventionally swift nuptial ceremonies will soon begin.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry shakes off his morose mood from discovering the remains of Herr Hoffer, elated at the success of his treatment and the impending joyous occasion. Mr. Harcourt's joviality seems to be contagious, and he is emboldened to make his own pronouncement. Getting down on one knee before Elizabeth, he stares up into her beautiful eyes. "Elizabeth, my darling," he says, finally admitting his feelings. "I love you more than you can possibly imagine. I've loved you for some time, though I was afraid to admit it, even to myself. You have made me happy for the first time in far too long. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, making you as happy as you have made me. Will you marry me? If you wish to wait, I will understand, though I would be very pleased to make this a triple wedding."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth stares down at the kneeling Henry, clouds of confusion and apprehension crowding her mind, "Sir" she began thoughtfully, "I am most flattered by the earnestness of your words, and if times were different I would treat them with proper consideration. But, alas, I think this not the proper place or time to declare such intention" Realising that her words may seem unfeeling and harsh she smiles her most radiant smile and gently places a hand upon the kneeling suitors head. "Dear Henry, you are dear to me and I would not banish any hope for the future. Pray you wait until this danger we now find ourselves in has passed and ask me again. My answer may be somewhat different"
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry tries not to be disappointed, and the fact that he still has hope for the future helps. "Thank you, Elizabeth, my dear," he says, standing again. "As you wish. I shall wait as long as necessary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Witherly has an announcement to make.

"As reluctant as I am to depress the mood of this gathering, I am afraid that some of you may be laboring under a misconception as to how we may proceed with this business. Although it is true that I am a vicar, from a parish which I will not name at this time, Lord Harwicke's Marriage Act of 1753 (more properly known as 'An Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriage') requires the calling of banns or the obtaining of a license, as well as residence in the parish associated with the clergyman presiding over the marriage and a wedding ceremony performed in a church of that parish. Since it appears that the happy couples involved would prefer to avoid the trouble and delay that this would require, I may be able to suggest an alternative plan.

As you may be aware, the marriage laws of Scotland are not nearly so strict. In point of fact, almost anyone can perform a wedding ceremony in that country, as long as there are two witnesses. We have no shortage of witnesses, so that should present no problems, and I will be able to offer my services once we have crossed the border.

As a practical matter, the most easily reached village in Scotland is Gretna Green. It is already famous as a place where eloping English couples marry quickly. Although I do not suggest that we ride at as wild a pace as Dick Turpin is reputed to have sped from London to York, it seems likely that we could reach the place in, say, a week of reasonably comfortable travel.

What say you all to this plan?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”