Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Fourth: The Masquerade

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry thoroughly searches the room, leaving nothing unchecked.
There seems to be nothing unusual in Miss Dupray's bedchamber with the exception of a handwritten manuscript which is carefully concealed between several layers of clothing within an armoire. It consists of several sheets which have been glued together to form a continuous roll. The writing is very small, as if the author wished to conserve paper as much as possible. It is in French.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Intelligence, adding three for your Gift for Languages, to see if you know French. Alternately, allow Miss Davenport to offer a translation, since it has already been established that she understands French (and that Miss Carrow does not.)
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Priest wrote:
Elizabeth, content to let the others begin the search, smiles at Antoine, gently taking his arm. "My dear Monsieur Dupray, I am certain that your sister has not gone far and that my good companions will soon uncover her whereabouts. However, with such strange happenings of recent hours I fear that discovery of her fate is of the utmost importance. Therefore may I ask if anything strange has occurred recently, maybe a secret or a hidden thing?" As she speaks she studies his expression for any odd changes.
Mister Dupray seems both delighted and nervous to be so close to Miss Carrow. He stutters a bit and says "Strange? Hidden? I cannot imagine what you mean. Oh, I suppose it is rare for Violette to be so afflicted by a headache as to retire during daylight hours. I believe she has succumbed to such a spell once or twice in the past. But other than that, no, nothing unusual has occurred."

He looks directly into her eyes. "May I beg the very great favor of requesting that you address me as 'Antoine?' And may I be so bold as to express my very great admiration for your many virtues?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

maelstrom wrote:Duncan follows miss Davenport out into the garden to aid with the search. Surely the young lady can't have just vanished into thin air.
Some preternatural instinct directs Mister Rachman to examine a patch of ground between a pair of rose bushes. When the dirt has been brushed away, a wooden door is found. When it is pried open, a set of stone steps leading down can be seen. Where they might lead is impossible to determine; they quickly descend into total darkness.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Exchanging a glance with Mister Rachman, Lila takes her oil lantern from her haversack and lights it, then starts down the hidden stone steps, calling, "Miss Dupray? Violette?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
Exchanging a glance with Mister Rachman, Lila takes her oil lantern from her haversack and lights it, then starts down the hidden stone steps, calling, "Miss Dupray? Violette?"
There is no response. Sounds can be heard, but their source cannot be determined exactly. They seem to be a mixture of muffled scuffling noises. The light of the lantern reveals that the flight of stairs ends at a place where three hallways meet, left, right, and center.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Duncan draws his dagger and decent the stairs following the light from miss Davenport lantern. Muffled sounds reverberate through the cellar, but which direction they eminate from is not clear. " in the light of recent events, maybe we should stick together. Shall we try to the left, for starters."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The hallway to the left slopes gradually down and makes many twists and turns. Moisture drips from the walls and the air is musty. It seems to lead to nothing but a shallow pit, into which various odds and ends have been tossed -- bits of broken crockery, rags, and the like.

The adventurers may examine the contents of the pit more closely, although the area around it is wet and slippery, or they may turn back.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Though Henry is well-educated, French was never one of the languages he had learned. Tongues such as Latin and German were far more useful to a scientist. Taking the document with him, he heads off to the garden to look for Miss Davenport in the hopes that she can translate it.
OOC,Intelligence roll (12 stat + 3 = 15) to know French: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Curious, Lila leans forward to examine the contents of the pit more closely in the light of the lantern.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Though Henry is well-educated, French was never one of the languages he had learned. Tongues such as Latin and German were far more useful to a scientist. Taking the document with him, he heads off to the garden to look for Miss Davenport in the hopes that she can translate it.
It is now impossible not to notice the open door in the garden, and the sound of movement coming from below.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Curious, Lila leans forward to examine the contents of the pit more closely in the light of the lantern.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Dexterity to avoid slipping into the pit. In any event, the following event will occur.
The light from the lantern and the movement of the investigators has disturbed a nest of rats which dwell within the pit. As the startled rodents scurry past, they will attempt to bite at the legs of the humans who have entered their realm.
Spoiler:
If Miss Davenport has fallen into the pit, she will automatically be bitten. Otherwise, make an Ability Check against Dexterity again to avoid the creatures. Mister Rachman should also make this check to avoid being bitten.

If bitten, an Ability Check against Constitution should be made to avoid contracting Blood Rot. The symptoms of the disease -- a high fever, chills, rapid heartbeat, pain and redness at the site of the bite -- will take effect the next morning. Each day after that, an Ability Check must be made against Constitution. Success means the player has recovered. Until recovery, all Abilities are reduced by 3.

Any other player who enters this underground area must also make the Dexterity check to avoid being bitten; if bitten, make the Constitution check to avoid disease.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Managing to keep her balance on the slippery surface, Lila jumps aside as the rats pour forth. Asking Mister Rachman if he is well, she suggests they head back the way they came and try one of the other hallways.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Sorry I don't see an Agility ability, I presume you mean Dexterity again.  
Dexterity check re pit: 18[dice]0[/dice]

Dexterity check re rats: 18[dice]1[/dice]
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Seeing miss Davenport lean perilously close to the pits edge. He is about to issue a warning to be cautious, when a rustling and squeeking comes from the depths and a horde of rats erupt forth and swarm around Miss Davenport and then past Duncan.
Spoiler:
Dex roll 13 [dice]0[/dice]
Swatting at them with his dagger as they flow past him. He curses in his own toungue as he feels a gnawing slash at his ankle as he is bitten by one of the vile beasts.
Spoiler:
Con roll 9 [dice]1[/dice]
As the rats scurry past and flee up the passage, he bends and presses a handkerchief to the small wound. "I think i will survive this time" he says with a smile. "shall we try the next passage?" he stands and heads back to the centre passageway.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The central passageway also descends, but is straighter. It leads to a plain wooden door.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila taps upon the door, calling, "Miss Dupray? Madame, êtes-vous là?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There is no response.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry peers into the darkness below. "Miss Davenport, are you down there?" he calls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Hearing Doctor North's shout from above, knowing he will not be able to see without the aid of the lantern, Lila calls up in reply then heads back to the stairs to guide him.
Spoiler:
She peruses the handwritten manuscript he carries if asked.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Previously Antoine Dupray said:   "May I beg the very great favor of requesting that you address me as 'Antoine?' And may I be so bold as to express my very great admiration for your many virtues?"  
Elizabeth blushes slightly thinking How forward, yet she smiles and inclines her head slowly, "As you wish Monsieur Dupray, I mean Antoine. Fear not, I am sure that the disapearance of your sister will be found to have an easy explanation. Now I wonder where the good Dr North is heading?"

She watches as Henry makes his way outside. With a final smile and nod to Antoine she hurries after the doctor to find him peering into an open door in the garden, from which a hint of light emerges.

"Miss Davenport, are you down there?" he calls.

Elizabeth hurries towards him...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Several rats emerge from their underground lair and attempt to nip at the legs of the new arrivals as they flee from the invading humans.
Spoiler:
Please make an Ability Check against your Dexterity to see if you avoid being bitten by a rat. If you fail, please make an Ability Check against your Constitution to see if you will come down with Blood Rot from the bite. The symptoms -- fever, chills, pain and redness at the site of the bite -- will begin tomorrow morning. Each day make another Ability Check against your Constitution to see if you recover. If not, for the rest of that day all Abilities will be reduced by 3 due to sickness.
The four adventurers are able to gather together in front of the wooden door. They may decide whether or not to ask Mister Dupray to join them. He will gladly abide by their wishes.

Meanwhile, Miss Davenport is able to read the manuscript. It contains annotations in French in another hand which reveal that it was smuggled out of the infamous Bastille prison, where its author, a French Marquis by the name of Donatien Alphonse Francois, is currently being held for a variety of libidinous crimes. The manuscript is a work of fiction. Suffice to say that it describes, in great detail, the unspeakable activities of a group of libertines who have removed themselves from all restrictions on their behavior. To say anything more would be to violate the most basic mores of decent society.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”