Page 1 of 1

IC

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 am
by Cotton
For the actual game.

Re: IC

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:40 am
by Cotton
Location: U.S. Army Forward Operating Base Turner in the mountains of the Paktika province of Afghanistan.
Date: Summer, 2015

What you know: FOB Turner was home to one Delta Green agent and CIA operative by the name of Tim Ellis. While at FOB Turner Ellis was undercover as an Army intelligence major. Three nights ago Ellis wandered off and he hasn’t been seen since. The next day the FOB sent squads after Ellis in two armored vehicles. Only one returned. The day after that, Delta Green ordered you to FOB Turner. Your mission is to find Ellis without bringing any unwanted attention to yourselves or the group as a whole. True to form, Delta Green has told you nothing about Ellis’ activities or larger mission. The FOB’s commander, Capt. Eliot Byers, is to provide you with “all reasonable assistance.”

The arid desert air strikes each of you as you step off the helicopter and onto the military base. There is very little activity considering the size of the base.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:36 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
John Tyner imagines he can feel the dry wind suck the moisture greedily from his body as he exits the chopper. Besides everything else, he'll have to stay well hydrated during this mission. That means drinking a lot of water. Keeping a good supply of that on hand at all times will be a problem, if they have to trek out into that wasteland of rock and sand.

Never known for his patience, Tyner marches forward to greet the first soldier he sees on the surprisingly quiet base with a quick salute.

"Doctor Tyner," he says, emphasizing the title. "I'm to report to Captain Byers."

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am
by Cotton
Dr. Tyner finds the nearest solider, who's tag reads Spc. Bryant, inspecting vehicles at the motor pool. When addressed he looks the doctor up and down, and then watches Tyner's compatriots as they exit the helicopter.

"Alright. I can take you there."

And with that he will lead you to Byers' office.

When you arrive at the officer's quarters you find a man, obviously Byers, barking orders at two subordinates. The two men are hurriedly rushing about the tasks Byers is giving them, which seem to mostly involve taking paperwork from the captain, filing it, and bringing him more papers. The commotion halts once Byers notices you; he is currently waiting for you to speak.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:47 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
The Captain seems like a busy man, even if it's just typical military bureaucracy. It would probably be best to make this seem like a routine matter.

Tyner salutes Byers. "Excuse the interruption, Captain. We're here about Major Ellis. Perhaps you can suggest a time we can discuss this matter at your convenience."

He watches the officer and his men closely to see how they react to the name.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:21 am
by Cotton
Captain Byers runs his hands through his closely cropped hair.

"Right the Major. I was wondering when someone was going to show up about that. You'l have to excuse me for not meeting with you already, the brass doesn't tell me anything anymore so I had no idea when you'd arrive let alone who you are. Now would be as good a time as any to talk about Ellis, I could use a break from all this."
And as he says that last part he gestures to all the paperwork on his desk.
"Please take a seat."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:01 pm
by maelstrom
"Thank you Captain" says Alex, laying his rifle bag against the side of a chair and removing his backpack.
He takes a canteen from his belt and pours alittle water onto his shemage and drapes it back around his neck."the heat is going to take a little acclimatising too" he says with a smile.
He settles into a chair and glances around the office before returning his gaze to the Capt. " So Captain, what can you tell us about Ellis's disappearance?"

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:01 am
by Cotton
Byers takes a minute to gather his thoughts before he starts speaking.

"I'm sorry to say that there isn't much I can tell you about Ellis. He came to the base a few months ago, and I was given orders to leave him alone; not that I would have bothered to keep an eye on him at any rate, we don't have enough men here for that and most of my day is spent filing paperwork for the transition. What I do know is that Ellis was a Major with Army intelligence; he never said what he was doing here and he and I only occasionally spoke. It's my understanding that on the day he left he just walked out the base's gates. After he disappeared I set a constant guard on his hut; you might be able to find more useful information there."

At this point you can all make a HUMINT roll if you wish.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Intelligence, eh?" Doctor Tyner nods to his companion. "That's more in his line than mine, but I've had a little experience with it." He rubs his jaw and thinks about it.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
"Actually, the name does mean something to me, come to think of it."

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 am
by Cotton
Those of you who make your HUMINT role notice that Capt. Byers does't really seem to believe that Ellis was army intelligence. You also notice that the more the Captain goes on about Ellis the more agitated the two men who had been assisting him with paperwork become.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Byers isn't telling everything he knows. That's pretty typical for Delta Green missions. He'd probably be happy to wash his hands of it.

"Thanks, Captain. We'll be sure to check out the hut. Meanwhile, I could sure go for a cold beer."

Tyner glances at the two soldiers assisting the Captain. "If you or the men can spare a few minutes, I'm buying. Where's the PX?"

Maybe a little alcohol will loosen a few tongues.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 am
by Cotton
Why don't give you me a persuade roll Dr. Tyner. That will determine how cooperative they are

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cotton wrote:Why don't give you me a persuade roll Dr. Tyner. That will determine how cooperative they are
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner gets the idea that at least one of the men might be interested in taking a break.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:15 pm
by maelstrom
Spoiler:
Humint roll [dice]2[/dice]
"That sounds like a fine idea to me doc." alex pats his backpck" Ive got a box of stogies in here just waiting to be opened, if anyone is interested."
OOC:   sorry guys i seem to be making a mess of dice rolls at the minute, sure i will get the hang of it  
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

After all this time, Craig Reynolds was back in Afghanistan. The first thing that had struck him was how little things had changed, and those that had changed seemed to have changed for the worse. This was already the longest war in American history, and with no end in sight. Something had to give, and he had a feeling that one of these days America would just walk away, leaving a great big heaping mess for someone else to clean up - or, more likely, not. The Afghan government probably wouldn't last much longer at that point, a few years at most. Then the Taliban or someone else would fill the power vacuum. But all that was in the future. Right now, he had a job to do. He let Dr. Tyner, who seemed to have matters well in hand, do the talking while he observed. However, he was too distracted to notice anything.
OOC,HUMINT roll (50% skill) about the captain: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 pm
by Cotton
Capt. Byers points to one of the two men and says,
"Lieutenant Jacobsen here can show you around the base. Now if you gentleman will excuse me I really need to get back to this paperwork."

Jacobsen starts leading you toward the bases's PX, and as soon as you are all out of earshot of Byers he turns to you.
"I could definitely go for a drink or two; just don't tell the Captain."

The post exchange is one of the few parts of the base that seems to be populated. Groups of men mingle inside and outside the building, you see both men in American army uniforms and men in uniforms that you recognize as belonging to the Afghan National Army. The two different groups don't appear to interact with one another more than is absolutely necessary.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner whispers to Reynolds "Maybe you can talk to some of the locals, see if they know anything. They'll probably respect somebody who speaks their lingo, and you know your way around the culture a lot better than we do."

He speaks more loudly to Baxter "This place isn't much like good old California, is it? Guess you've seen some desert out there, though. Is it at all the same here?"

Maybe I can start some casual conversation about the area, lead into Ellis.

To his guide he says "Strictly on the QT, Lieutenant. Lead on."

I hope the Afghans don't mind us drinking. I know their religion doesn't allow it. They've got plenty of reasons not to be fond of Americans, but I hope they dislike the Taliban more.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods and approaches the Afghan soldiers with a ready smile. He greets them in Dari, in which he is most fluent. If they don't speak Dari, he'll try in Pashto, the second most common language in Afghanistan and the language of the Pashtun people.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 am
by Cotton
The ANA soldiers will greet Reynolds politely in Dari. You get the sense that they don't quite know what to make of you, and are probably not used to Americans speaking their language.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm a translator," explains Craig in Dari. "My name is Craig Reynolds. This isn't my first time in your country, but I've been away for a while. Has anything interesting been happening in the area lately?"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:43 am
by Cotton
As you introduce yourself one of the soldiers perks up.
"A translator?" He asks. "Did something happen to Rahimi?"

After a short pause one of the other soldiers responds to your question.
"Nothing interesting has happened around here in a while. We patrol the area around the base during the day, and stay here during the night."

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"As far as I know, Rahimi is fine," says Craig. "I'm not here as a replacement. It's good that things have been quiet around here. I hope they stay that way. Any scuttlebutt about the base?"

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner buys a round of beer for Jacobsen, Alex, and maybe any of Jacobsen's buddies, if they want to join in. He refuses one of Alex's cigars, with a touch of the annoying, condescending superiority of the non-smoker to the smoker. He starts talking to Jacobsen about sports, then the local climate, only obliquely leading up to Ellis.

"I understand you lost some men looking for him. Any idea what happened?"

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 am
by Cotton
The ANA solider to Reynolds:
"Some of the American soldiers went out on patrol the other day and never came back, and that has their officers really riled up."

Jacobsen will pause a moment and lick his lips before answering Tyner:
"Part of me feels like I probably shouldn't tell you this, but another part of me insists that if you're going out to look for Ellis you should know. I was in the radio room when the men that disappeared told called in to tell they had gotten lost. Now, they had orders to stick to the roads surrounding the base so there really shouldn't have been anyway to get lost. I mean there's not even really any traffic out there save maybe shepherds with herds of goats. At some point they came under attack apparently but it was pretty much impossible to tell what was going on through all the static. I tried to see if any satellites we may have had in the air caught what had happened but there was some kind of weird interference."

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can imagine," says Craig, realizing that they probably don't know any more than he does at this point. "Well, thank you. It's been nice talking to you. I'll see you around."

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Jacobsen will pause a moment and lick his lips before answering Tyner:
"Part of me feels like I probably shouldn't tell you this, but another part of me insists that if you're going out to look for Ellis you should know. I was in the radio room when the men that disappeared told called in to tell they had gotten lost. Now, they had orders to stick to the roads surrounding the base so there really shouldn't have been anyway to get lost. I mean there's not even really any traffic out there save maybe shepherds with herds of goats. At some point they came under attack apparently but it was pretty much impossible to tell what was going on through all the static. I tried to see if any satellites we may have had in the air caught what had happened but there was some kind of weird interference."

Sounds like Delta Green business for sure.

"Thanks, Lieutenant. I'll make sure to tell Byers you gave us a full tour of the base. I guess we should check out Ellis' hut now."

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:35 am
by Cotton
You head to Ellis's quarters in the officer's section of the base. Even just walking by you can tell that the majority of these buildings stand empty. There are two soldiers standing at the front of the building chit chatting. When they notice you heading towards them, the men stand at attention and one of the drops and stamps on a cigarette. They wait for you to address them.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I'm Doctor Tyner. These are my associates, Alex and Craig."

Maybe that sounded a little arrogant. Too bad.

"We're here to find out what happened to Major Ellis. We'd like to check out his hut. Captain Byers gave us the OK. Can you men tell us anything about what happened?"

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:57 am
by Cotton
The solider who had been smoking pipes up.
"Ellis? They said he was Army Intelligence but he had to be CIA right?"
He looks over to his buddy, who nods his agreement.
"We were told not to go near him, but I know that Booker and Bryant used to talk to him all the time. Wouldn't want to be those guys right about now."

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who else has already been through the hut?" asks Craig, reasoning that it would be useful to know who else might have searched it.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:42 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"We were told not to go near him, but I know that Booker and Bryant used to talk to him all the time. Wouldn't want to be those guys right about now."
"Why not? Can we talk to them?"

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:08 am
by Cotton
The same solider replies.
"Ellis must have fucked up royally. That's the only reason I can figure that he'd just up and disappear, and on top of that the guys we sent after Ellis got killed. They were good guys, and them dying so close to us getting out of this shit hole has gotten everyone riled up. Everyone knows that Booker and Bryant talked to Ellis a lot, and that makes them guilty by association as far as most people are concerned."
He pauses for a moment to think.
"Bryant is usually at the motor pool, and Booker, if he isn't with Bryant, would be at the aid station."

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:18 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner glances at his companions.

"Maybe we should split up. Can't spend too much time just wandering around. One of us search this place, somebody find Bryant, somebody find Booker. Any volunteers?"

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm good with people," says Craig. "I'll go have a chat with Bryant." He repeats his earlier question to the soldiers, as he hasn't gotten an answer from them.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:42 am
by Cotton
The soldiers turn to Craig.
"The Captain gave orders that no one was allowed to go in after Ellis disappeared, that's why we're here guarding it."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"The Captain gave orders that no one was allowed to go in after Ellis disappeared, that's why we're here guarding it."
"That doesn't mean us, of course. The Captain wants us to check it out."

Tyner turns to Alex. "I'd suggest you stick around here and look over the hut. The Captain can vouch for us being on assignment. Meanwhile, I'll go track down Booker. I'll try the aid station first."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:46 am
by Cotton
The guards will let you guys into the hut. They know that you three are new to the base and so assumed that you were there because of Ellis.

Tyner why don't you go ahead and give me a luck roll to see if Booker is at the aid station.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner locates the aid station and introduces himself. "I'm looking for Booker. He around?"
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
I'm not sure what I'm looking for for a luck roll -- luck doesn't seem to be a basic characteristic. I'm guessing a roll of 1 is successful.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40 am
by Cotton
The solider points toward the back of the aid station, and Tyner is easily able to find Booker. Booker is tall and muscular with a linebacker's build. He greets Tyner as he approaches.
"Hello. Can I help you?"

(OOC: Sorry I forgot to say the luck is your POW x5)

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig heads to the motor pool to look for Bryant.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:18 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Doctor John Tyner. My friends call me Doc."

Tyner offers his hand.

"I'm trying to track down what happened to Major Ellis. I understand it can get pretty bad out there. I'm sure you've lost some friends. They tell me you were close to Him. Is there anything you can tell me about what he was doing here, and what might have happened to him?"

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 am
by Cotton
Booker says,
"I wouldn't really say I was close with Ellis. I talked to him a lot because it was something to alleviate the boredom. You'd be surprised how much down time you get on a base that's standing down. Also, Ellis had a seemingly endless supply of booze so that did't hurt. As to what happened to him; thats easy. Whatever CIA spy mission he was on wasn't going as he'd hoped, and that was clearly taking its toll on him. He drank a lot to... to cope, I guess. And when he got really deep into his cups he used to talk about this place. This village hidden away in the mountains; he called it 'The Black Valley' or something like that. When I first started talking to him, he used to say that, if he ever found it, he'd like to drone strike to hell. But later, in the last couple weeks before he left, he started talking about how he'd just like to go there, and see a place so old that it wasn't Islam or Christian or anything like that. So, if you ask me, I think he went off to find his special village."

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
  That sure sounds like Delta Green business. I guess we'll have to check out this Black Valley, whether we like it or not.  
"Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. Would you have any idea where this Black Valley might be located? It sounds like a place that would interest a lot of scholars. I'd hate to have the Taliban destroy the place, the way they have with so many historic sites."
  I wonder if Alex found any kind of map in that hut.  

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:47 pm
by Cotton
Booker replies,
"Ellis made it sound like it was somewhere East of this base, and if he set out to walk there he must not have thought it was too far. Honestly though, if you ask me, if the place ever even existed it was probably destroyed by the Talibs a long time ago. Like you said, it's kinda their thing."

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I see. Thanks again. I owe you one."

Tyner heads back to the hut to see if Alex found anything. They can't just head out blindly trying to find this Black Valley, but if it's really close enough to walk, somebody should have run into it by now. Maybe there's a detailed map or some aerial photos of the area on the base. Wouldn't hurt to ask, but that can wait.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 am
by maelstrom
Alex will search through any documents and files he can find around the office, in particular maps. He will also look for any signs of hidden or consealed stores. Knowing Ellis was delta green, he wasn't going to leave anything interesting in plain sight, unless he was careless.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is [b]Bryant[/b] in the motor pool?

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:18 am
by Cotton
Because you guys split up, we'll assume that this happens while Tyner is still locating and talking to Brooks.

Alex Baxter:
Ellis's hut is completely spartan, if you didn't know better you would assume no one had ever lived in it. Looking underneath the bunk reveals a large canvas bag with the U.S. State Department seal and a “Diplomatic Pouch” logo with warnings against opening it without permission. The bag is locked, but breaking it is an easy task. Looking through the bag you find gun-cleaning supplies, 18 used 9mm shells, a laptop computer that has been shot several times, the somewhat charred remains of a notebook, and a small mountain of empty mouthwash bottles. There doesn't appear to be anything else left in the hut.

Craig Reynolds:
Specialist Bryant is short and wiry, with a shock of red hair and a multitude of freckles. He is currently the only person in the motor pool. You find him resting in a back corner, reading a magazine.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Specialist Bryant?" says Craig, extending his hand. "Hi, I'm Craig Reynolds. I'm looking into Major Ellis's disappearance, and I'd like to ask you a few questions about him."

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:27 am
by Cotton
Bryant will sit up and put down his magazine. He is obviously put on edge by the mention of Ellis.

"Um. Yeah. Go ahead."

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you have any idea why Major Ellis left?" asks Craig. He keeps his tone calm so as to reassure Bryant.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 pm
by maelstrom
Alex picks up the shot up laptop and tries to determine if the hard drive has taken any damage, if its ok, then maybe accessing the drive may be possible.
He looks at the mound of empty mouthwash bottles, shaking his head, either Ellis had some serious dental issues or he wasusing the stuff for something, but what it could it be?
Taking up the charred note book, Alex flicks through the pages to see if there is any useful information remaining in it.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner walks into the hut and notices the pile of bottles.

"Maybe he hid his booze in those containers. Does it smell like mouthwash or like whiskey?"

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:25 am
by maelstrom
"Is that the voice of experience Doc"Alex says with a grin. He picks up one bottles and unscrews the cap and takes a sniff.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:50 am
by Cotton
Craig Reynolds:
Bryant informs you:
"Well. Uh. When Ellis would get really drunk he would talk about this place on Varjita Mountain, sometimes he'd call it 'The Black Valley' and other times he'd call it 'Kali Ghati'. He talked about this place like it was Shangri-La, so I would guess he'd head there."
Reynolds, you can tell that Bryant seems nervous about something, and you're pretty sure he's not saying everything he knows about Ellis.

Alex Baxter:
The laptop's hard drive has unfortunately been damaged. After spending a few minutes examining it you don't think you'd be able to repair it yourself, but maybe there's someone else on the base who could.
Flipping through the notebook you find a few pages that are still undamaged enough to be readable. The only problem is that whoever it belonged to wrote in a code of some kind. Deciphering it would definitely require a lot of time and patience.

Doctor Tyner will have walked in at about the time you finish examining the laptop and notebook. Upon taking his suggestion you bring the mouthwash bottle to your nose for a whiff, and can tell that it was most definitely filled with alcohol at some point.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you think of anything else that might be helpful?" asks Craig. "Don't worry, you're not in any trouble, and what you say can remain confidential. We just want to find Major Ellis."
OOC,Do I know the translation for "Kali Ghati?"

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:28 am
by Cotton
Craig Reynolds:
You know that Kali Ghati means roughly "Black Valley" or "Black Canyon" in Dari.

Bryant hesitates before responding.
"Ellis was crazy. And I don't mean like that weird kid you knew in school. I mean crazy like that homeless guy who's always drunk and shouting on a street corner. One night, a couple weeks ago, Ellis starts telling me about how he doesn't believe in God. I say ok. Tell him that he can live his life however he wants, as far as I'm concerned. But then he starts saying that he doesn't believe in God with a capital "G" because there's more than just one god. He starts talking about how were always surrounded by gods, all the time, and that he wanted to see one just once before he died. He says we can't see them but they're there. We were both pretty drunk at this point and I was freaked out so I just left. I know it sounds crazy, but I think he really meant what he said. So when I heard he'd disappeared I knew he must of gone to that mountain to look for his gods."

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Craig. "You've been a great help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I'll leave you to it." If Bryant has nothing further to say, Craig heads back to the hut to rejoin the others.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:45 pm
by Cotton
Bryant still seems kind of nervous, but is obviously greatly relieved to have gotten that story about Ellis off his chest.

You head back to the hut, and since this was all happening simultaneously you will arrive only a couple minutes after Tyner and Baxter discover that the mouthwash bottles recently held alcohol.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig fills the others in on what he has learned. "'Kali Ghati' simply means Black Valley in Dari, or possibly Black Canyon," he says. "I think Ellis meant the former, as that's what he called it in English. Still, climbing gear would be advisable for when we inevitably go out there. Find anything interesting?"

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
maelstrom wrote:"Is that the voice of experience Doc"Alex says with a grin.
That remark hits Tyner hard. After the loss of his wife, he escaped into an alcoholic haze for months. No doubt that's what reduced his state of health, once in top condition, to below average now. He grunts at Alex and says nothing. He turns to Craig.

"Yeah, we found out Ellis was a boozehound. We also found this laptop with a hard drive that might be repairable. I'm not sure if we should let any of the geeks on the base handle it, though. Could be Delta Green stuff. And this notebook is full of some kind of gobbledegook. Code or something. I doubt we have time to tackle the job of deciphering it. What did you find out?"

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Apparently Ellis has lost his mind," says Craig, repeating what Bryant had told him. "That's must be why he went AWOL, to search for these gods. This definitely sounds like DG stuff to me. I think we'd better find someone who can salvage the hard drive. I can't do it myself, and if you two can't, that means it has to be someone on the base. We'll just have to lay down the national security angle heavy, tell them we believe there's classified material on the hard drive and that they can't divulge anything they happen to see while recovering it. The techs here are military, or at least used to working with the military if they're civilians. They should know the drill."

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Sounds like a plan. Maybe we can round out a map of the area of that mountain, without mentioning the Black Valley stuff. Maybe you can ask some of the locals in their own language what they know about the mountain, possibly the best way to get there. I'll go see if I can rustle up the head cartographer. Alex, you want to talk to the techs?"

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Get satellite photos too if you can," suggests Craig. "I'll go see if the Afghan troops know anything about the mountain. I may need to mention Kali Ghati to them by name. There could be local legends or something." He heads off to find the Afghan National Army soldiers.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Good idea."

Tyler goes off to find whoever is in charge of cartography and imaging.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:33 am
by Cotton
Craig Reynolds:
You head back to the PX since you know that soldiers tend to congregate there. While scanning the area you see a group of ANA soldiers that includes one of the men you spoke to earlier. There is also one Afghan man who is dressed in Western-looking civilian clothing. They are chatting and smoking.

John Tyner:
In one of the buildings in the officer's section of the ship you find a short, dark haired man by the name of Lt. Neal Carver and a tall, lanky Specialist named Walter Gray. Because FOB Turner is in the process of standing down, these two men have found themselves in charge of a number of duties including cartography and imaging.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 am
by Cotton
Alex Baxter will easily be able to find some techs to help with the laptop. (Unless Maelstrom decides there is something else he'd rather his character do when he gets back)

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:12 pm
by maelstrom
Alex heads to the Coms station with the hard drive and looks for the ranking officer in the room and goes over to speak to them about getting the resident tech wizard to have a look at the drive, making it clear this is of a sensitive nature.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner introduces himself to the Carver and Gray.

"I know you're busy,so I won't take up too much of your time. We're trying to track down Major Ellis."

I better come up with a plausible cover story. One without any details.

"There's a possibility that some kind of crazy splinter terrorist group captured him, and the men who went out looking for him. It's just a hunch, but we've got to check it out. We want to check out Varjita Mountain. Have you got maps of the area, any idea of what's the best way to get there, maybe some satellite images?"

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:16 pm
by Cotton
Alex Baxter:
Maelstrom please make a Persuade or a Bureaucracy roll (your choice).

John Tyner:
Carver sends Gray to find some physical maps of the area around FOB Turner and says,
"I'm sorry our knowledge of that mountain is limited. We sent out a drone to that area to try and get some aerial photos but it suffered some kind of malfunction and crashed. I had wanted to send another, but Captain Byers didn't think it was worth it."

Gray will return with some maps, all of which have Varjita Mountain depicted on them in some way. You don't see any references to Kali Ghati or the Black Valley on these. You do however see Quluj Khel, which appears to be both the closest village to FOB Turner, and the only settlement on these maps that is near Varjita Mountain. Perhaps the people who live there know something about the mountain or Ellis?

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Thanks for the help. I appreciate it."

I better find Craig and have him ask the locals about this Quluj Khel place.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig greets the Afghan soldiers again in Dari, reintroducing himself for the sake of the ones who weren't there before. "Are any of you familiar with the Varjita Mountain area?" he asks.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 am
by Cotton
Craig Reynolds:
The Western dressed man seems elated when he first hears you speaking Dari, but his face drops as soon as you mention Varjita Mountain. The ANA soldiers all also look down at the mention of that place. After a beat the man in Western clothing and one of the soldiers both try to explain how they are all from different provinces so that the local Taliban can't come after their families and because of that they really don't know anything about the mountain. You, however, can tell that they are pretty obviously trying to play dumb about Varjita.

John Tyner:
You find Reynolds talking to a group of ANA soldiers.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:10 am
by maelstrom
Alex will try to be more persuasive rather than bureaucratic.
Spoiler:
Persuade 50 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:56 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner doesn't understand a word of what's being spoken, but obviously the Afghans aren't too happy. When there's a pause in the conversation, he whispers to Craig "There's a village called Quluj Khel on the way to that mountain. Is anybody here from there? Might be willing to guide us there, for a price?"

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:43 am
by Cotton
Alex Baxter:
You are easily able to convince the soldiers of the importance of your work, and a bespectacled man by the name and rank of Spc. Crawford is assigned to help you with the laptop. He will have to first repair the hard drive (and even then only some of what was originally on their will be recoverable) and then decrypt its security software. Crawford is capable of doing both of these but it will take roughly three hours.
On the Laptop: Apparently,Ellis was pursuing rumors of supernatural activity in the region going back to the British occupation and before. According to some Afghanis from a near by village, Kali Ghati sits in the shadow of Varjita Mountain about 40 km east of FOB Turner. Ellis spoke to some other local tribes who claimed that the Kali Ghati people aren’t Muslim or even infidel Christians or Hindi. They worship an old god that has no name. They claim their god is older and mightier than Allah. When there’s no moon they are said to do terrible, blasphemous things before an ancient golden idol. They’ve lived in the Black Valley longer than anyone knows. The Zunbils (and you can give me an occult role on that) shunned them a thousand years ago. These local tribes shun them now. There are scans from Victorian-era British histories of the region that mention Kali Ghati in passing. One author scanned extensively, Col. Arthur Blythe-Merriweather, describes a Kali Ghati guru who explored states of consciousness that could be achieved only by near-death experience. The guru reportedly repeated a mantra in the “native language” of Kali Ghati, said to be unrelated to Urdu or Pashto. You don't understand the mantra, but according to Ellis it translates as "death awakens the sleeper". (OOC: Since gathering this info took a couple hours you will be a little bit ahead of the other characters time-wise, what will probably happen is they will just meet up with you after their conversation with the natives)

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I gather it has a bad reputation," says Craig, continuing in Dari. "But surely some of you know the local area. What about the village Quluj Khel? Have any of you been there?"

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:31 am
by Cotton
The man in Western clothing speaks up, he seems eager to be talking about something other than Kali Ghati.
"Quluj Khel is the village closest to this base; it's home to the Quluj clan. I've been there a couple times as a translator for the American soldiers. The town's elder, Zahir Quluj, is very friendly. You and your friend don't look like soldiers, may I ask what brings you to the base?"

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:45 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner notices that one of the Afghans seems to be sort of a liaison with the American troops. When there's a pause in the conversation, he says "Excuse me. Do you speak English? Perhaps it would be better to continue in that language, so we don't upset your colleagues."

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:39 pm
by Cotton
The man in Western clothing replies in a thick accent.

"I do speak English, I was hired to work here as a translator for the American soldiers. I was just asking your friend here what brings the two of you to this base? You don't look like soldiers, and I know that the Americans are in the process of handing this base over to the ANA so I wonder why they would bring in new people."

His English isn't fantastic but you can understand what he is saying.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:07 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I see. We're civilians working for the American government. We were sent here to try to find out what happened to Major Ellis. We want to make sure there aren't any problems when the ANA takes command of the base. Your men are good soldiers, and we want to be good allies."

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You must be Rahimi," says Craig, switching to English. "I'm a translator too. This is Dr. Tyner. I was hoping to find someone with some local knowledge of the area."

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:49 am
by Cotton
"Yes my name is Yasim Rahimi."
Replies the translator in English.
"I am from a neighboring province and have spent a lot of time in this one so I know a lot about it. And I know for sure that that mountain is best left alone."

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:14 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I've heard that it's a dangerous place," Tyner agrees. "But we've got a job to do. I know you understand the importance of duty. Maybe you can tell us anything else you know about the area. Are there any dangerous animals, maybe some waterholes or springs?"

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:42 am
by Cotton
Rahimi replies.
"I do not know about any springs, but I do know that animals will be the least of your worries if you go their. The Taliban patrol around those areas, and I heard they attacked the last patrol that went looking for that American who went missing. Besides, Varjita Mountain is home to a cursed placed. To go there is to tempt the wrath of God."

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"That explains the reaction I got when I mentioned the mountain," says Craig. "What can you tell us about the curse?"

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:37 am
by Cotton
"The place is cursed."
Repeats Rahimi.
"Everyone knows this. Even in my home province the village elders and nomads will warn you about Kali Ghati."

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is Zahir Quluj particularly knowledgeable about Kali Ghati and the curse?" asks Craig. "I'd like to know more about it: its origin, what form it takes, what happens to those who fall victim to it, that sort of thing." Not only are their lives on the line, but this also interests him as an anthropologist. He is keen to know how legends like this get started and are transmitted down through the generations, and of course the kernel of truth behind them.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:27 am
by Cotton
"You would have to ask him." replies Rahimi. "We never talked about it any of the times I went to the village. I wouldn't mind going with you to the village, as long as some soldiers came along too, but from the sounds of it you don't really need a translator."

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:39 am
by maelstrom
Pfc Crawford walks over to Alex and hands him the laptop. “ it's took some doing sir, but I've managed to recover most of the data on the drive and it seems accessible” Alex smiles “ damn good job Crawford, drinks are on me later.”
Alex settles down and starts scanning the data. “the others need to see this” he thinks to himself.
“hmm that name zunbils seems familiar” Alex wrack his brain trying to remember where he has heard it before?
Spoiler:
occult roll 20% [dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
try again[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cotton wrote:"You would have to ask him." replies Rahimi. "We never talked about it any of the times I went to the village. I wouldn't mind going with you to the village, as long as some soldiers came along too, but from the sounds of it you don't really need a translator."
"Thanks for the offer. We better go back and find Alex, see what he's come up with. We'll get together and decide about taking a trip to the village."

Sounds like the village is a safe enough place. Might be OK to let some of the locals come along, but I'll ask Craig what he thinks. he's the expert on these people and their land.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says Craig. "I can translate, but what we could use is a guide with knowledge of the village and the area around it."

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:33 am
by Cotton
"I can go with you to the village tomorrow, assuming that Captain Byers is ok with sending myself and some soldiers with you to the Quluj Khel. I believe that I technically work for him." Replies Rahimi.

And I should point out that your characters have spent a few hours going around the base at this point so the sun will set soon, and you all know that traveling around this area at night would be extremely dangerous.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"That would be great," says Craig. "I don't think getting Captain Byers's permission will be a problem. We should probably leave tomorrow at dawn. I'll see you then." He then goes with Dr. Tyner to seek out Alex.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 am
by Cotton
Alex Baxter:
You know that the Zunbils were a people native to this area from the 7th century until the Islamic conquest of Afghanistan in 870 AD. The Zunbils worshipped the sun, which they referred to as Zun. You know that some idols of Zun depict him as a dragon, and that worship of Zun was coopted into the Hindu religion and eventually largely forgotten.

Reynolds and Tyner:
Reynolds and Tyner will find Baxter while the tech wizard is still working on the computer; although he will soon be done.

(OOC: You guys can go check out that "spoiler" part I left in the message to Maelstrom a couple posts back if you haven't already.)

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner figures they all better be ready to leave at dawn. That means not only arranging for Rahimi and a couple of soldiers to accompany them, it means packing the necessary supplies. Plenty of water and sunscreen, of course; some rations; first aid kit; the usual. He hopes the base can spare a jeep or two, maybe a humvee. A sidearm would make him feel good, too.

After talking to Alex about the stuff they found on the disk, he figures Ellis ran into some kind of violent cult. He hopes it isn't much more than that.

As they make arrangements for sleeping that night, he suddenly remembers to take along the coded notebook. He shows it to Craig on a hunch, to see if the pattern matches any language he's familiar with. Anyway, fooling around with it before they settle down for a good night's sleep will kill the time.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better talk to Captain Byers before we turn in and get his permission to borrow Rahimi and some ANA soldiers to escort us to the village," says Craig, taking the notebook and examining it.
OOC,I don't actually have the Cryptography skill (I don't even see it on the character sheet), but there may be someone on the base who does.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:04 am
by Cotton
Captain Byers will gladly lend you Rahimi, and 12 American soldiers. You will go in two separate Cougar MRAPs (mine-resistant ambush protected vehicle); they both sport a M2 heavy machine gun through a hatch on top. It will be you three, Rahimi, and a driver and medic in one Cougar, and the second Cougar will have the other 10 soldiers (also including a driver and medic) as an escort. He is adamant about this, and you can tell he is probably paranoid about losing more men.

This is an army base so anything you guys want in terms of body armor, weapons, and supplies you could probably get pretty easily; so if you want anything specific let me know, if you're fine with whatever I will give you a list.

SigInt, which stands for Signals Intelligence, is the skill that covers cryptography. It encompasses encryption, communications intelligence, electronic intelligence, surveillance of radio and digital communications, and the making and breaking of codes. None of you have the SigInt skill, but a Bureaucracy roll will allow you to both find someone on the base who does and convince them to decode it.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"This cloak-and-dagger stuff doesn't mean anything to me," Tyner says as he flips through the notebook. "I wonder if I find can somebody on base who can handle it."
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
After trying to convince somebody to tackle the notebook, Tyner figures he's wasting his time. He keeps running into "hurry up and wait" and Catch-22 and other military red tape. He hands it to his colleagues.

"You guys monkey with this thing. I'm running into a blank wall. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out our equipment."
Spoiler:
OOC:   I know absolutely nothing about military stuff, so I'll gladly let you choose the gear.  

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:53 am
by Cotton
This is what you would be offered in the way of supplies, but you can choose what you'd like to take with you. Rahimi, since he is a translator, will only be taking the body armor, a pistol, and food and water.

M4 carbine- 30 rounds (2 reloads), Damage: 1D12, Armor Piercing: 3, kill damage: 10%
M9 pistol- 15 rounds (2 reloads), Damage: 1D10
M67 hand grenade (x2)- kill damage: 15%, the skill that governs grenades is Athletics
M9 bayonet- Damage: 1D6 (1D8 if affixed to rifle), Armor Piercing: 3
Tactical Body Armor- It is the same kind of armor the soldiers would be wearing, and in game terms would have an armor rating of 5. This means that if you are wearing this and get attacked for 6 points of damage you subtract 5 of those points and only actually take 1 point of damage to your hit points.
Medical Kits
Enough food and water for a few days (just in case)
(I think that anything else you could want that are small things, like say flashlights, we could just hand wave and say that you have when and if those things come up)

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:10 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner lets out a long, low whistle when he sees the Cougars.

That's one hell of a vehicle. Byers must really be spooked. Better safe than sorry.

"That damn thing must get about one mile per gallon," he remarks to a passing soldier. "I wouldn't mind having one of those during rush hour."

I wish I felt as lighthearted about this thing as I'm trying to sound.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig can't find anyone willing or able to decode the notebook, so he leaves it to Alex. Like Rahimi, he also only takes body armor, a pistol, food, and water, though he also takes a medical kit and night vision gear if it's available. Failing that, he'll settle for a flashlight.
OOC,Bureaucracy roll (30% skill) to find someone to decode the notebook: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:32 am
by Cotton
Night Vision Goggles are easily available.

Also I realized I forgot to put this in my previous message, but having a medical kit will add 20% to any two first aid rolls.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 am
by maelstrom
Spoiler:
bureaucracy 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Alex tries to find anyone willing and capable if decoding the note book, but like the others he draws a blank.

Alex will take the offered armour, rifle, pistol and knife. But shakes his head when shown the grenades. " I would probably be a bigger danger to us than whomever I would be throwing it at". NV goggles, maps of the area, rations and a spare med kit will round off his kit.

Alex looks over the vehicles and assembled soldiers. Takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly " Ready as I'm ever going to be"

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:41 am
by Cotton
Alex Baxter, Craig Reynolds, and John Tyner:
You meet in the motor pool of FOB Turner. Despite the earliness of the morning the summer heat is already oppressive. Rahimi, Bryant, Booker, and a third solider who introduces himself as Private Gibson all await you by your Cougar, their gear already equipped. Booker is leaning against the vehicle looking relaxed, but you all notice that Bryant seems agitated. You see the group of soldiers who are acting as your escort are already loading up into their vehicle. Before leaving you are all informed that the seven of you will be designated by the callsign BEACON for over the radio communication and tactical purposes. So, since the three of you are the ones who are in charge of investigating Ellis' disappearance, one of you must be appointed team leader (BEACON ONE) and another one of you second-in-command (BEACON TWO). That choice is yours.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't particularly think I should be in charge," says Craig. "I know this country, but I'm a civilian and not really trained for command."

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm
by maelstrom
"Im not sure any of us are trained for command, just like none of us planned for being here doing what were doing now. We just roll with the punches and make it up as we go along and hopefully we wont make too big a mess of it."
Looking at Craig and john, " At least you two are professional types, before DG I was Yogi bears nanny!" Alex says with a grin, a cold feeling settling into his stomach. operation is getting close. "What says you Doc?"

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Age before beauty, I guess," Tyner says. "Just call me Beacon One. Since I don't hear any volunteers, I'll name Craig Beacon Two, just 'cause he knows the country and lingo. Any objections?"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's fine by me, Beacon One," says Craig.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:19 am
by Cotton
In that case the order will be: Tyner- Beacon One, Reynolds- Beacon Two, Baxter- Beacon Three, Booker- Beacon Four, Bryant- Beacon Five, Gibson- Beacon Six, and Rahimi- Beacon Seven. You all mount up. Booker is in the driver's seat and Tyner is riding shotgun; everyone else is in the back of the MRAP. You are informed that your escort's callsign is BABBLE, and that their lead, Babble One, is named Sgt. Ryan Harding.

You set off from FOB Turner heading North through rough, hilly terrain. It's about an hour's drive before you reach the hillside sprawl of poor stone
houses and huts that makes up the village of Quluj Khel. What, if anything, do you talk about on your journey?

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
When Tyner gets a chance, he leans over to Bryant and says "You seem tense. I don't blame you. You want to talk about it? Maybe you'd like a trank from the medkit?"

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig strikes up a conversation with Rahimi. "What can you tell us about Quluj Khel and the elder, Zahir Quluj?" he asks.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:36 am
by Cotton
John Tyner:
Bryant replies,
"No... no I can't and none of you should either. We gotta stay sharp out here. I'll be fine, just didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night."

Craig Reynolds:
Rahimi replies,
"Quluj Khel is not unlike a lot of the smaller villages dotting this province and my own. The people there are all a part of the Quluj clan; they are nice but very isolated. As far as I know they've never had any ties to the Taliban. They probably don't even think of themselves as Afghanis, probably just as Quluj. Elder Zahir is a very nice man, he'll probably be waiting for us, its pretty easy to spot vehicles coming from there."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to ask him about Ellis," says Craig. "He's almost certainly been to the village and spoken to Elder Zahir before, and possibly others here as well. He had to find out about that place somewhere. It'll be interesting to know who he spoke to, what questions he asked, and what the answers were."

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 am
by maelstrom
Alex sits listening to the conversations going on in the vehicle.
Bryant worries me a bit, he either knows more than he is letting on, or hes scared and on the edge. neither is a good option if things head south rapidly. Tyners picked up on it as well, we will just have to keep an eye on him..
Turning to face Rahimi, " How long has the village been there Rahimi, do you know?"

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:47 am
by Cotton
Rahimi replies,
"I don't know exactly. But it is not unusual to run into some very very old and secluded villages out here, you'll see that the members of the Quluj tribe has kept to the same traditions as there ancestors have been doing for centuries."

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:59 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner asks Booker (at a moment when he's not busy keeping his eye on whatever passes for a road around here), "Does the CO always send out the heavy armament just to go out to a friendly village? Are there a lot of unfriendlies out there?"

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:51 am
by Cotton
Booker replies,
"There are definitely unfriendlies around here, but they usually travel at night since we're almost always better equipped. The original team that went looking for Ellis spilt into two groups and weren't in Cougars, which is probably why the one group got attacked. He's also probably paranoid about losing the government people who got sent after the original government guy who went missing. Quluj Khel is definitely a friendly village, I don't think that we or the ANA have ever had problems with them."

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'm hoping they can also come with us after Quluj Khel, when we eventually go searching for Ellis," says Craig. "Where he went is decidedly unfriendly territory, and we'll need the backup and the armor."

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 am
by Cotton
Booker replies,
"I know that Bryant, Gibson, and I were given orders to escort you wherever you needed to go to. I imagine that the guys in Babble were told the same. Like I said, the Captain doesn't want us splitting up anymore."

Hearing this Gibson starts to nod emphatically, and agrees with Booker's statement. Bryant continues to sulk.

(OOC: So right now you guys are traveling at the speed of plot. Whenever you're ready your convoy will arrive at Quluj Khel.)

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"This must be the place," Tyner says as the hulking vehicle comes to a halt. "Let's take a look."

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:08 pm
by maelstrom
Alex jumps down from the back of the cougar, pushing his sunglasses securely up his nose, he starts scanning the surrounding area.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig unstraps himself and clambers out of the vehicle, also taking a good look around.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:52 am
by Cotton
A few people in old fashioned clothing and domesticated animals, mainly goats, move about the village of stone and wood buildings. Most of the adults look at you and smile politely, but a crowd of children quickly gather around your vehicles. The children keep some distance and stare with a mixture of wonder and curiosity. The Babble team dismounts and spreads out through the village. The residents don't seem to mind, they are evidently used to this.

Within a few minutes, an older man, Elder Zahir, hobbles up to you. He introduces himself in Pashto, and leads the three of you, the three soldiers, and Rahimi to his home. It is somewhat larger and nicer furnished than the others in the village. Once there Zahir Quluj offers you tea, and asks what he can do for you.

Craig are you speaking Pashto (or translating it), or are you sticking to English and letting Rahimi translate?

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig speaks Pashto when conversing with Elder Zahir out of respect for him, and he feels that he may be pleased to be able to converse with a visitor in his native tongue. "Thank you for your hospitality, Elder," says Craig. "We are searching for an American officer, Major Ellis. Have you met him before?" He translates what he says and the Elder's replies into English for the others, and he will also translate their questions to the Elder to Pashto.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:33 am
by Cotton
Zahir Quluj sips his tea and politely waits for all necessary translations to be made. Craig, you notice that the elderly man does seem quite pleased to meet a foreigner with knowledge of his language and customs, and he appears to be a jovial sort of man even to those of you who do not speak the language.

"I have met Mr. Ellis before, he has come to this village a few times," says Zahir. "He seemed like a very friendly man, and always brought gifts which were much appreciated. You say that you are looking for him, did something happen?"

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he left the base without permission," says Craig. "He appears to have become obsessed with Kali Ghati, and we believe that's where he's gone. I know the place has a reputation for being cursed, and anyone with any sense stays far away from it, but I don't know the details. How did Kali Ghati get this reputation, and what is the nature of its curse? Has anyone ever returned from there?"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 am
by Cotton
"I'm sorry you must be mistaken," says Zahir Quluj. "I've never heard of any place by that name."

Craig:
You think that perhaps the Elder is lying, and you're suspicion is confirmed when, after you translate, Byrant says that that's bullshit and that he knows they've spoken to Ellis before about Kali Ghati. When you confront Zahir with this accusation he replies,

"No, he is mistaken. Here everyone should have more tea."

You realize at that point that the elder is lying not to be malicious, but because he is afraid.

A persuade roll (which can be made by anyone) is required to push for more information.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I understand that you don't want to speak of the place," says Craig. "From what little I've heard of it, I know that it is very dangerous. That's why it's important to know more about it. If Major Ellis is indeed heading there, we need to bring him back before it's too late. He is a nice man, and I don't want anything dreadful to happen to him. I'm sure you don't either."
OOC,Persuade roll (60% skill) to get [b]Elder Zahir[/b] to open up about Kali Ghati: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:59 am
by Cotton
"If Ellis has gone to that place he is already dead," replies Zahir. At this point in the conversation he is shaking and it is clear to even to those who do not speak his language that he is afraid. "It is a place of evil. From time to time a group of men, warriors, will come into the village. They are not Taliban or American or even from the Afghanistan National Army who share the base with you Americans. They are an old group, a band of fighters who stand against that cursed place. They come here in search of supplies and volunteers, and we give them these things gladly. They are righteous men, and they do God's work."

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's good that there are men such as them," says Craig. "We would like to meet them. Do you know where we can find them?"

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 am
by Cotton
"I'm sorry to say that I do not." Replies Zahir. "These men do not make their presence known to anyone. These men know what they are doing, let them do it. Go back to your base and forget about Kali Ghati. Trust me when I say that it is sometimes easier to pretend ignorance."

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Unfortunately, we don't have that option," says Craig. "Our job is to find Major Ellis, and it's not one we can decline. Has Kali Ghati always been the way it is? How did the curse start?"

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:10 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner listens closely to the translated conversation. Something strikes him as odd. If these warriors are volunteers from the village, then there must be somebody around who has actually been to Khali Gati.

"Ask him if we can talk to one of the volunteers," he says to Craig.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig translates Dr. Tyner's request to Elder Zahir.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:48 am
by Cotton
"Kali Ghati has been a cursed place for as long as I or anyone living can remember," replies Zahir. "Perhaps it has always been that way, but I can not say for sure. I do not know how or why the village came to be the way that it is, but I do know that all those who live there are evil and blasphemous. The young men from this village who volunteer leave, and as I said I do not know where the fighters camp or when they will return here."

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"When the warriors come to your village," asks Craig, "from which direction do they come and which way do they leave?"

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:21 am
by Cotton
"They usually come from the north, the direction of Kali Ghati."

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:45 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
From the same direction as Kali Ghati? That sure seems odd. Maybe these so-called noble warriors are recruiting the villagers for something other than fighting the bad guys.

"Sounds we're going to have to go take a look for ourselves, guys."

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods. "Maybe we'll run into them between here and there," he says, "or maybe they'll find us."

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:29 pm
by maelstrom
" Maybe its these warriors that Elis has disappeared off with? But if not lets hope its not these guys that destroyed the patrol out looking for Elis, maybe they arn't too keen on anyone digging around in what they are trying to guard." Alex shrugs.
"Guess it's boots on the ground is the only way we are going to know for sure."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:55 am
by Cotton
After what Alex says is translated for him, Zahir will vehemently shake his head. "No. no. These warriors only fight the evil that is Kali Ghati they would not attack any Americans. Your war with the Taliban is not their concern. I doubt that any of you would be able to find them unless they wanted to be found. They have an advantage over you in that these lands are their home."

Bryant will pipe up as well. "I don't like any of this. Seems to me that ether these warriors he's talking about are Taliban just lying about what their up to, or there's a whole group of people that might have gone as nuts as Ellis."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We don't really have any choice," says Craig. "Nuts or not, we'll have to try to win them over if they show themselves to us. They'll be good to have as allies, and bad to have as enemies."

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:44 pm
by Cotton
"Alright," replies Bryant. "I'll follow your lead."

(OOC: What's your next move? Ask more questions, head back to FOB Turner, or strike out for Kali Ghati?)

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Time to fish or cut bait," Tyner says. "I vote to head out now. This rig offers about as much protection as we can expect. What do you guys say?"

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"I concur," says Craig. "We're not going to be better equipped than we are right now, and there's no sense wasting time. The trail would only get colder, and Ellis might only have limited time, if it's not already too late."

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:24 am
by maelstrom
"Make that three. I think the Elder has told us all he can for now. Until we have seen the place for ourselves, we are just guessing, and as we are all know, sometimes there is more to these things than is plain to see."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:39 am
by Cotton
As you move to leave Zahir's hut, he speaks up. "It seems I can not stop you from going out to find that place, I can only pray that you realize the danger that you are in before it is too late."

You head out through the village and your escorts start to mount up. You gathered and left at dawn, so its still fairly early in the morning. Booker pulls you all aside and says, "I agree that we need to move fast. If there's a chance that Ellis is still alive then maybe so are the men who went after him. But I've got to say that more than likely these warriors the elder was talking about don't exist. These are a very superstitious people you've got to understand."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think the Elder was lying," says Craig, "but the men who told him they were these warriors might not be what they told him they are. Then again, they might be, but we can't count on running into them even if they are. If they don't want to be seen, they won't be."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:02 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Whatever the truth of the matter may be, we've got to be ready for anything." Tyner addresses the soldiers. "I don't have to tell you to keep you eyes open. You've been here long enough to know that. I'll keep one of the first aid kits with me at all times. Shout out if anybody needs assistance."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:30 am
by Cotton
You all load up into the Cougars and drive for a couple hours toward Varjita Mountain. The Afghanistan mountain road blazes in the summer sun. The two armored vehicles are driving through a ravine that rises sharply on either side and opens into a wider hillside about one kilometer ahead. The road is isolated, stark, barren and blazing. The vehicle smells of dust, diesel fumes, and stale sweat. You are riding along behind your escort vehicle when suddenly there is a massive boom and you find yourself shaken violently as your Cougar rolls onto its side and top from the force of the explosion. You now sit in the dark, smelling gasoline and smoke. You are startled by the suddenness with which this happened, but the MRAP did its job and it becomes apparent that none of you are injured.

You can all make a SAN check. No loss on a success. If you fail lose one point, and be sure to check one of the boxes for violence.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is badly shaken by the explosion. It brings back a flash of memory that he had thought forgotten. A sudden image of the woman he loved slaughtered before his eyes fills his mind.

What in God's name am I doing here?

He's too upset even to check the other for injuries. Suddenly he wants a drink very badly.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

As soon as he feels the explosion, Craig knows it was caused by an IED. He remains completely calm and collected. After putting on his nightvision goggles to see in the dark and making sure everyone is okay, he finds the nearest hatch so he can help everyone get out of the vehicle. Upside-down, it's a sitting duck. Any followup attack with an RPG will spell the end of them, not to mention the possibility that the fuel leak could blow it sky high even without any further outside help.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for the explosion: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am
by maelstrom
Spoiler:
sanity check 32 [dice]0[/dice]
The shock wave tears through the vehicle and with a sudden lurch the world spins.
What the Hell
His heart pounding like a drum in his ears, Alex looks around. The voices of the others seems to wash over him, coming from a great distance. The smell of smoke wafts around him and he wonders what is burning. The smell of gasoline in the air, have we stopped for fuel. Faces hover in front of him but he can't recall their names.
Then slap.
"Alex.....Alex" Craig shouts at him.
With a sudden rush he comes back to himself and the noise and panic is real.
He unfastenes his harness and gathers his gear ready to move.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:52 am
by Cotton
Booker shoves open the driver side door, gets out of the vehicle and turns back to help the rest of you. Bryant is speaking to all of you, "We need to get out and look for cover, if this is an ambush then we're sitting ducks in here." He seems oddly calm for the first time since you left the base. Rahimi is stumblingly attempting to unfasten his harness.

(You can easily crawl out of the vehicle with your weapons and anything on your person, such as armor and comms, but you will have to leave your rucksacks behind. You can all either exit the vehicle or if someone wants to stay inside and start handing out everyone's rucksacks then that person can make a DEX or STR roll.)

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner tries to make up for his temporary loss of nerve by staying behind long enough to toss out the gear. They'll be in big trouble without it. He attempts to do this with brute strength, not caring if it's done with style or grace. This is life or death.
Spoiler:
STR = 13; x 5 = 65[dice]0[/dice]
He just barely manages to get the stuff out of the vehicle, his muscles sore with the effort. He's not as young as he used to be, but thank goodness for all those sessions at the gym.

"I'm worn out," he shouts. "Can somebody help Rahimi?"

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 pm
by maelstrom
Hearing Tyner's cry, Alex looks and see Rahimi struggling to undo his harness.
Turning back into the stricken vehicle, he moves quickly to Rahimi's side. " Rahimi.. easy.. easy. its ok, weve got you." he moves Rahimi's hands away from the buckle and releases it and helps rahimi to his feet. " keep your head down, follow the soldiers lead and you will be fine, now lets get out of here.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that the others have things well in hand, Craig exits the Cougar and takes a look around, removing his goggles if they don't detect anyone else nearby so he can see normally in the daylight.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
You are in the process of throwing out the rucksacks. Bryant and Reynolds have already moved past you and out of the Cougar.
(OOC: it'll take two turns to get all of the rucksacks out so while no more rolls are required you will be the last person out.)

Alex:
You calm Rahimi and get him out of his harness. He gathers the gear he can carry and readies himself. "I'm right behind you."

Craig:
You crawl out of the Cougar right behind Bryant, and blink as the sudden brightness of the sun blinds you momentarily. Once your eyes adjust you see two things. The first is Booker hurriedly coordinating with Tyner to get as much gear out of the vehicle as possible. The second is Bryant pointing to an outcropping of rock on either side of the mountain rode about 10 meters back. "There! We're gonna make a run for that cover. Keep your head down and follow me."
(If you want to follow Bryant you can make a DEX roll to run to the rocks.)

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods and crouches low, sprinting to the cover of the rocks behind Bryant, but he trips and falls.
OOC,DEX x 5 roll (50% stat) running to the rocks: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:34 pm
by maelstrom
As Alex exits the vehicle, with Rahimi in tow. He sees Craig making a dash for cover, following the lead of Bryant. Alex starts to scan the surrounds for any signs of attackers, when he hears the grunt and scuffle as Craig tumbles to the floor. Alex follows after Craig and tries to help get him back to his feet quickly.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
You've managed to get all the rucksacks out. You're exhausted, but you know you need to get out. Gibson has already moved past you and Booker is still waiting to help you out.

Craig and Alex:
Rahimi has run past you to the rocks. Craig can see that the other Cougar is rolling to a stop and one of the soldiers inside is taking up position on the mounted gun. Alex helps Craig to his feet and both are free to move to cover.
(no roll required this time)

All of the soldiers are shouting back and forth, no sign of any attackers yet.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:53 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner tries to make his way to cover. He feels like he's swimming through maple syrup; he's about to collapse.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Craig, scurrying behind cover.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:52 pm
by maelstrom
As Craig scrambles to his feet. Alex sweeps his gun around the surrounding hills rapidly, seeking any sign of attackers. He sees Tyner, looking washed out and looking unsteady on his feet. Alex runs back towards him, slinging his carbine across his back.
As he reaches Tyner, he takes hold of his left arm and ducks under it and garbs his belt with his right and half lifts, half drags Tyner along.
" Come on Doc, least we can do is make sure you collapse in cover"

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:41 pm
by Cotton
Alex manages to get Tyner to cover. The back of team Babbel's Cougar has opened and some of the soldiers have begun moving out and seeking cover. There is still no sign of any enemies. You can all make Alertness rolls.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:26 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Alertness = 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is too exhausted to notice much of what's going on. He just tries to catch his breath once he's in a relatively safe place.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig is too distracted to notice anything.
OOC,Alertness roll (40% skill) behind cover: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am
by maelstrom
Alex leans out of his covering position and sweeps his rifle across the hillsides, looking for any signs of movement.
Spoiler:
alertness 70% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:54 am
by Cotton
Alex spots a black turban poking up from behind a large rock about 150 meters away.
What does he do?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:34 am
by maelstrom
Alex will keep his weapon trained on the position and call over his companions, pointing out what he had seen.

As soon as no attack has started yet,maybe Craig could call out to them to show themselves?

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig calls out in Dari from behind cover: "We come in peace! We wish to talk to you!"

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 am
by Cotton
Craig begins to speak in Dari, but the last part of his sentence is cut out by the rattle of machine gun fire coming from seemingly all directions. Soon the much louder thumping of the Cougar's M2 joins the cacophony.

Finding an attacker will require a successful alertness roll, Alex already has one in his sights so he can fire if he so chooses. In addition you could also try to hunker down behind cover for extra protection, or any other action that seems appropriate.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:26 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner has no clue who's firing at them. He tries to lower himself to the ground and ready his sidearm in case someone moves forward.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig looks around for any sign of the shooters. Since he has no rifle, he hopes they're in pistol range. If not, at least he can point them out to the others.
OOC,Alertness roll (40% skill) to see the shooters: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40 am
by Cotton
Craig peeks fro behind cover and sees one turbaned fighter lean around a rock to fire at some American soldiers. At the same time another fighter dash from that same rock to another piece of cover closer toward your position. They are not yet in pistol range but Craig can call out the fighter's new position.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Hunkered down, waiting for the enemy to close, Tyner grimly thinks that this is like some old Western movie. C'mon, Alex, he thinks. You're the outdoorsman. Surely you can get a bead on these guys.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"One of them just advanced!" calls Craig into his radio as he ducks back behind cover, reporting his new position as well as that of the turbaned fighter who remained behind the rock.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:20 pm
by maelstrom
Alex flicks his rifle to three round burst and fires at the target he spotted
Spoiler:
attack 50% [dice]0[/dice]
without waiting to see if he hits he turns his aim and tries to spot the encroaching attacker Craig has called out.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:47 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner holds his fire until he can see an attacker clearly.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:55 am
by Cotton
Alex:
You see the fighter that Craig called out duck behind some rocks. You level your rifle at him and wait. After a beat he pops up from behind cover AK-47 in hand.
Make a firearms roll.

Craig and Tyner:
You can both give me alertness rolls.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm
by maelstrom
Spoiler:
Firearms 50% [dice]0[/dice]
Alex fires another three round burst.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Alertness = 40%

[dice]0[/dice]
In the midst of the gun battle Tyner notices something.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig's perceptions are as keen as ever.
OOC,Alertness roll (40% skill), behind cover: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 am
by Cotton
The battle rages on. It has only been a couple seconds since the shooting started but already a couple of the men from the second Cougar have fallen. How many ambushers there are, and how many have fallen is unclear.

Alex:
Roll damage.

Tyner:
While ducking behind cover you see that at least one of your attackers has managed to work his way to a piece of cover that flanks you and your comrades. No one else seems to have noticed, and while he is close you aren't sure if he is within pistol range or not.

Craig:
You see one of the soldiers who left the second Cougar get hit while he is running for cover. He is alive and clearly in pain. He is close to you and your companions, but attempting a rescue would most certainly be risky.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:57 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Enemy behind us!" Tyner shouts. He knows he's not the greatest shot in the world, so he takes a moment to aim his pistol before firing.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's a wounded man from Cougar Two nearby," reports Craig as he spins to look for the threat, pistol in hand, "but anyone going to help him will be exposed. Covering fire might help."

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:32 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
The attacker fires at you, but his shot goes wide.

Roll to hit with a plus 20% bonus. If you are successful roll damage.

Craig:
Bryant has moved next to you.
"Take my rifle and fire there", he says pointing to the position you're fairly certain the attackers who shot the man from Cougar 2 are. "I'm going to make a run for him."

If you choose to provide covering fire make a firearms check with a plus 20% bonus.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:59 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner fires his pistol.
Spoiler:
20% basic skill level + 20% for aiming = 40%[dice]0[/dice]
A hit!
Spoiler:
The rules seem to indicate that a pistol does 1d8, 1d10, or 1d12 damage. I'm not sure how to decide, so I'll go with the lowest.

[dice]1[/dice]
Looks like the bad guy was just barely wounded.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig lays down covering fire with the unfamiliar rifle. His shooting isn't very accurate, but he hopes it at least makes the enemy duck.
OOC,Firearms roll (50% + 20 = 70% skill) laying down covering fire: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:57 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
You aim and fire, hitting the fighter in the arm. Booker who is in cover next to you heard what you said and turns and fires as well.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:06 am
by Cotton
Booker's shot goes wide and the enemy soldier ducks back behind cover.

Craig:
(According to the new edition's rules a double is a critical. So in this case an 88 is a fumble.)

You fire a couple shots and then hear the clicking noise that accompanies a misfire. You were trained on how to clear a misfire the first time you came to the middle east but have never done it before.
Roll 1D4 to see how many rounds it takes you to unjam the rifle.

Bryant dashes from behind cover as Craig attempts to cover him, and heads for the wounded soldiers. One of the ambushers fires a burst at him.
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:10 am
by Cotton
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am
by Cotton
The shots hit their mark and Bryant collapses in the sand. Blood begins to pool under him.

At almost the same instant there is the whoof of three rocket propelled grenades and the crunch of their impact with the second Cougar. Flames shoot up as its fuel ignites, and black smoke billows from it. The driver and gunner were unable to exit the vehicle in time.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:21 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
This is one of those times when Tyner's instincts as a doctor take over. He forgets about the folks trying to kill him and rushes over to the wounded, trying to triage as quickly as possible. Save lives when he can, minimize pain when he can't, let light wounds wait for a while.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"They knew we were coming," says Craig on the radio as the realization about the ambush sinks in. He works feverishly to try to clear the jam while staying behind cover.
OOC,Number of rounds to unjam the rifle: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   Tyner:
You can give me a Dex roll if you're going to try to get to the fallen Bryant.  
Alex: [dice]0[/dice]

Alex's shot finds its mark and the attacker jerks back from the and collapses.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:12 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Dex = 10; I assume I multiply by 5 and roll a d100?

[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner has a lot of trouble making his way to the wounded man.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 am
by Cotton
[dice]0[/dice]

Tyner is shot at but not hit, he is however pinned down. You can either stay pinned down or attempt to move or shoot back, but any action other than staying pinned down causes a SAN check

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but I'm OK if I take time to aim. If I can just keep a cool head . . .
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Wishful thinking on Tyner's part. He's about to experience something very bad.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:06 am
by Cotton
Tyler attempts to aim at one of the ambushers but accidentally exposes himself to enemy fire.
[dice]0[/dice]
But luck is with the good doctor.

At this same time, Craig manages to get his newly acquired rifle unjammed.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:10 am
by Cotton
Alex takes a shot at the ambusher who exposed himself to shoot at Tyner.
[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]
His aim is true and the ambusher drops.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig peeks out from behind cover, aiming the barrel of the rifle around and looking for any attackers left that he can shoot, or failing that to try again to lay down covering fire if any of his comrades are still out in the open.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Mr. Handy
Go ahead and roll alertness and if you make that you can roll to hit or lay down covering fire whichever you prefer. Providing covering fire gives you a plus 20% to your firearms check.  

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Not very confident is his shooting ability, Craig just fires a burst to try to make the enemy keep their heads down.
OOC,Firearms roll (50% + 20 = 70% skill) laying down covering fire again: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 am
by Cotton
Craig fires a burst at the ambushers shooting at Tyner. They duck behind cover leaving Tyner free to do what he needs to.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:48 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner tries again to get at the wounded man. He has better luck this time.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 pm
by Cotton
Dr. Tyner manages to pull the wounded Bryant into cover. His wounds are very bad and even with the most sophisticated of medical treatments in a stable environment (neither of which Tyner has access to) he might not make it.
OOC:   Tyner:
You can either try to stabilize Bryant by rolling your first aid skill at half (40%) and I will make a luck roll for him, try to ease his pain, or do nothing (neither of these last two require a roll).  

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:40 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
The wounded man's situation looks grim. This is one of those horrible times when triage is needed. There must be other injured soldiers, some of whom might be saved through quick action. Tyner decides to minimize the man's suffering as much as possible for now, then try to locate other casualties.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 am
by Cotton
All of a sudden you can hear whistling over the din of combat and then an unnerving silence as the ambushers cease shooting at you. It seems that as quickly as the ambush began it has ended. The attack has left several dead and wounded. One Cougar has been flipped over and the other is a flaming wreck.

Anyone not adapted to violence can make a SAN roll for being on the receiving end of an ambush.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner has seen enough violence to keep his nerve, although it's never easy. He continues to perform triage on the wounded, saving lives when he can, easing pain when he can't.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig feels sick to his stomach. The situation reminds him of the Taliban raid on the prison where the CIA was interrogating captives, only this time he has come closer to death himself. That time, he never even saw the attackers and just sheltered in place until it was over. Here, he'd been right in the middle of it - and it isn't over yet. They are stranded out here in hostile territory, and the killers are still out there. The whole experience has left him shaken.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) after the ambush: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 am
by Cotton
[dice]0[/dice]

Craig lose 4 points of sanity.

Besides yourselves (Craig, Tyner, and Alex) only six others survived the ambush. Booker is kneeling beside the dying Bryant. Rahimi is still crouched behind cover and is obviously traumatized. Gibson is scanning for more hostiles but looks visibly shaken. The other three soldiers are all from the other Cougar. They are: SPC Jones, PFC Garcia, and PFC Scott. Garcia and Scott are mostly unscathed, but, while Tyner has managed to stabilize Jones, he will not be able to walk on his own. One Cougar is completely destroyed and the other is not drivable because it is on its side. In addition, there are several dead ambushers who have been left behind by their retreating comrades.

You all know that the smart thing to do would be to flee back to the safety of FOB Turner. However, you also know that Delta Green would want you to push on until you either save Ellis or confirm that he is dead.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Now we know what happened to the other bunch that went out to look for Ellis," says Craig, still feeling nauseous. "We have to keep looking for him, but we can use the radio in the Cougar on its side to contact FOB Turner and report what happened. Maybe they can send a chopper for the wounded. I just hope those Taliban don't have shoulder-fired missiles or anything."
OOC,That takes me to 76 Sanity. My Breaking Point is 68, but that presumes my starting Sanity of 85. When I took the -5 Sanity at the outset to lower it to 80, should my Breaking Point have been recalculated (to 64)?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:20 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Good idea," Tyner says. He tries to speak to the surviving soldiers as if he were a commanding officer, in the hope that it will help them overcome the shock of battle. He addresses the two uninjured PFC's. "One of you men get on the radio and report to base, get some evac for the injured. The other keep Jones as comfortable as possible until help gets here." If helps gets here, he muses.

He walks over to Craig. "That was a hell of a thing to go through. Looks like Rahimi is pretty shaken up. Maybe you should talk to him in his own language, see if you can calm him down." And maybe that will get your mind over what you've seen.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods and goes over to Rahimi. "I'm sorry I got you into the mess," he says to him in Dari. "I'm just as shaken as you are, but we have to pull ourselves together if we're going to get through this. We can't stay here long."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 am
by Cotton
Tyner:

Shortly after you give the men orders Scott approaches you. He hesitates looking like he isn't sure if he should salute or not, but then starts explaining the situation to you. "Sir, the Cougar's radios must have been damaged when it hit the IED. I'm getting nothing but static."

Craig:

Rahimi's face is pale and he's swaying so much you're worried he might collapse. His voice comes out in a hoarse whisper as he replies to you in Dari. "I warned you that this place was cursed, as did the others. Nothing good comes from challenging curses! We should head back now!
As this is happening, Booker comes up to you two. He has tears in his eyes and he asks, "What did he say?"
OOC:   Yes your breaking point would be 64. That's my bad for not catching it.  

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig puts an arm around Rahimi to support him. "He said he and the others warned us this place was cursed," says Craig, translating automatically, ", that nothing good comes from challenging curses, and that we should head back now."

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"This is no time for heroics," Tyner says. "There are injured to care for. Without transportation or communications, there's no choice but to head back. Even that will be a huge challenge. We'll have to come up with some kind of travois for Jones. We've got to get back to the village."

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods. "You're right," says Craig, "but before we go, maybe someone here can fix the radio in the Cougar. A chopper would be much better than hoofing it."

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 am
by Cotton
As a part of your gear you all an encrypted radio that you can use to call FOB Turner. Anyone who wishes to can make a Luck roll to radio the base.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:55 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner fiddles with the equipment but can't figure out how it works.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig manages to get a clear signal.
OOC,Luck roll (85% stat) trying to radio the base: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm
by Cotton
Tyner

You try to use your radio and it howls feedback that warbles oddly like a human scream. After that you can not get it to work at all.

Craig

You manage to raise a radio operator back at FOB Turner, and give him your callsign.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig reports the ambush and tells FOB Turner the casualties they've taken. "We need a chopper for immediate evac," he says. "We've got wounded here."

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 am
by Cotton
"Roger that BEACON, air evac is being deployed. ETA thirty minutes."

You all spend a very tense half hour waiting for rescue. It is obvious to you that the remaining soldiers blame you for the deaths of their friends, Jones passes out from his injuries, and Rahimi spends most of the time muttering to himself in Dari (Craig knows that he is talking about curses and god and killers).

You can all make San checks (unless you are adapted to helplessness) as you are in hostile territory and the only people nearby who haven't tried to kill you, hate you for dragging them out here. If you succeed lose one san, if you fail lose two.

After what feels like forever the choppers finally arrive to extract you.

OOC:   Alex's San check:
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Before the ambush, Craig probably wouldn't have been too disturbed by the wait, but after what happened, it's getting to him.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 76) waiting for the chopper: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:46 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is upset by the situation, but manages to hold on to his last bit of nerve during the wait for the choppers.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:42 pm
by Cotton
The helicopters arrive to evacuate you to FOB Turner. Alex wants to continue going to Kali Ghati on foot, but is willing to return to the base if Tyner and Craig think that that is a better plan.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's probably best if we go back to base for now," says Craig. "When we're better equipped and prepared, we can have a chopper insert us closer to where we need to go. I wouldn't want to risk more Cougars full of soldiers. It's your call, Doc."

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:38 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I'm not in the mood for a suicide mission. We've bitten off a lot more than we can chew. Let's go back and be better prepared."

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 am
by Cotton
You arrive back at FOB Turner, and the wounded are rushed off to receive medical attention. You three are informed almost immediately after landing that Capt. Byers would like to debrief you in person. Upon arriving in his office you see how very stressed out he looks. He says, "Only a few more weeks and I would have gotten to leave here. First Ellis shows up, disappears, and a bunch of my men go missing. Now you show up to lick for him, and get a bunch of my men killed. What happened?

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"The area isn't secure," Tyner says. "Unfriendlies, heavily armed, right outside the region. I'm not even convinced that the so-called friendly village is anything of the kind."

He leans over to speak quietly to Byers. "Look, Captain, you know we're not regular military. Our mission here is critical, but I can't say much more about it. We've got to find out what happened to Ellis. It's vital to national security. Our first effort was a fiasco, I'll admit. We need to go out with a lot more armaments and a lot more protection. I trust you can provide us with that. I'll make sure that Washington knows you're doing a hell of a job here in a very dangerous situation."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think that ambush was specifically waiting for us, Captain," says Craig. "I doubt the whole village is hostile, but all it would take is one person there to tip them off to be ready for us. When we go back in, we have to bypass it completely. They can't even know we're anywhere in the area."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 am
by Cotton
Byers sighs, "We've communicated with Quluj Khel before and I had believed them not to be a threat, but if there is a chance that they are working against us... I will talk to the ANA forces here and we'll work together to find out for sure. Beyond that, I'm not sending anymore more men out unless absolutely necessary."
OOC:   A Bureaucracy and Persuade roll will be required to get Byers' to give you more resources.  

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Bureaucracy = 40%[dice]0[/dice]

Persuade = 60%[dice]1[/dice]
Tyner isn't sure how the Captain will react. He didn't seem much impressed with the mention of Washington, but he seemed willing to listen to him, anyway.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig doesn't know enough about how things work here to cut through the red tape.
OOC,Bureaucracy roll (30% skill) to convince [b]Byers[/b] to help: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:39 am
by Cotton
[dice]0[/dice]

Alex talks bureaucratic circles around the Captain, Craig and Tyner find it a little difficult to keep up.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 am
by Cotton
Byers relents and promises that, when you are ready to go back out into the field, he will supply you with a helicopter transport and evac and a small escort of soldiers.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Captain," says Craig. "Let's review the satellite maps and see where the best place is for an insertion."

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:40 am
by Cotton
Looking through satellite imaging data you see that the most practical location for a drop-off would be near the base of Varjita mountain, and that would be followed by a two hour hike to find the location where you, based on the information you collected, Kali Ghati to be.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"We'll need water, plenty of it, and some food. Medical supplies and arms. Maps, maybe a small camera, all that stuff." He looks at Alex. "You're the expert on hiking in the wilderness. You should be in charge of preparing our packs. Oh, more than one radio set, too; we can't afford to be out of communication. Maybe body armor, if they won't weigh us down too much." He grins sardonically. "Just a nice little walk. Should be fun."

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Does anyone know what Ellis took with him when he went off there?" asks Craig. "He may not have been right in the head, but he may have known something about what to expect and made special preparations."

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:46 pm
by Cotton
According to the men on guard that night, Ellis just walked off base. They didn't see him carrying anything, and do not know what he might have had hidden on his person if anything.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:02 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Looks like we're on our own. I suggest we get a good night's rest and head out at dawn fully supplied. Maybe three men have a chance where a big group drew too much attention."

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods. "Yeah, it's been a long day," he says. "Let's get what rest we can."

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 am
by Cotton
OOC:   What kinds of preparations do you make for going back out into the field? And will it just be the three Delta Green agents?  

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We could use someone with local knowledge of the area we're going, if there is someone like that here. We might also want a little more firepower along with us.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 am
by Cotton
OOC:   The closest person available with knowledge of the area would be Rahimi (for knowledge of people living here and geographic knowledge) or one of the soldiers (for military operations in this terrain and an extra gun). You could try to get Rahimi and or one or more soldiers but it might require some persuading considering how your last outing went.

And here is a list with some equipment you could requisition if wanted:
Encrypted radio and backup
Maps of the area
handheld digital cameras
M4 carbine- 30 rounds (2 reloads), Damage: 1D12, Armor Piercing: 3, kill damage: 10%
M9 pistol- 15 rounds (2 reloads), Damage: 1D10
M67 hand grenade (x2)- kill damage: 15%, the skill that governs grenades is Athletics
M9 bayonet- Damage: 1D6 (1D8 if affixed to rifle), Armor Piercing: 3
Tactical Body Armor- It is the same kind of armor the soldiers would be wearing, and in game terms would have an armor rating of 5. This means that if you are wearing this and get attacked for 6 points of damage you subtract 5 of those points and only actually take 1 point of damage to your hit points.
Medical Kits
Flare gun and flares
Enough food and water for a few days (just in case)  

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner takes a look at the list of available equipment. "Looks good. I'm not that great a marksman, so I'd like to carry some of the grenades and a medical kit. Body armor is a good idea. Craig, if you can convince Rahimi to come along, that would be a big help. I'm going to see if I can find a GI willing to go on a special mission."

He talks to some of the toughest-looking soldiers, hinting that volunteering to go with them might be worth a promotion.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"He'll be a tough sell," says Craig, "but I'll see if I can convince him." He goes off in search of Rahimi.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:21 am
by Cotton
Tyner:

Are you looking for someone who didn't go out previously or one of the survivors?

Craig:

You find Rahimi leaving Captain Byers' office, he has obviously just been debriefed. He attempts to greet you in English but is having trouble finding the words.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner looks for somebody new, a tough, experienced combat vet.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can speak in Dari," says Craig in Dari. "I'm very comfortable with it."

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 am
by Cotton
Tyner:

While you are searching for a volunteer you are approached by Booker. He has obviously been crying and looks at you with an expression of pure hate.
"You lookin' for more of my friends to murder?"

Craig:
Rahimi says, "Th- Thank you, friend. I- I have never had such a terrible experience. Usually the fighting was much farther away from where I was. We should thank God that those attackers fled."

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, my friend," says Craig. "I've been in a dangerous situation before, but never like that. You're right, it was horrible. I have to admit that I'm afraid to go back out there, but I have to. We need to find Ellis. If I were stuck out there, I would want people to come rescue me. And we were stuck out there. We'd still be there if that chopper hadn't come to pull us out. I didn't want to have to ask you to come with us, but we need someone who knows the area well. I'll understand if you won't, considering what we went through last time. This time at least we know what to expect and will be better prepared, and they'll never expect us to return."

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cotton wrote:Tyner:

While you are searching for a volunteer you are approached by Booker. He has obviously been crying and looks at you with an expression of pure hate.
"You lookin' for more of my friends to murder?"
This is a delicate situation with no good way to handle it.

"Nothing I say can bring back your friends. They were good men, doing the worst job in the world. I've got a job to do, too. It can be dangerous, but not as dangerous as yours. Any time you want to talk about it, I'm here. Meanwhile, I've got a duty to perform, as unpleasant as it may be."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Mr. Handy:
Rahimi is working as a translator for the military in the hopes of being able to move to the U.S. like his cousin. He has mentioned this in front of you at least once. If you make a 0/1D4 San check (for Helplessness) you can convince Rahimi automatically that if he helps you with this you can get him into the country. The reason for the San loss is that,officially speaking, you are not supposed to be at FOB Turner (you're only there because Delta Green has pulled some strings to get you on the mission) and would have no way of actually helping him out. So essentially you would be asking him to risk his life, promising a reward for it, and then disappearing without ever making good on your promise.  
Tyner:
For a minute you're certain that Booker is going to hit you, but the blow never comes. Maybe you talked some sense into him or maybe he is just too overwhelmed by the days events to really function, but he will just stare at you until you walk away. You do manage to find a few men by the PX who look like they'd be right for the job.
OOC:   Roll Persuade to see if you can convince one or two to volunteer.  

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have some connections back in America," says Craig. "I might be able to expedite getting you entry." He feels a twinge of guilt, but he tries to assuage it by telling himself that he'll see if Delta Green might be able to arrange it if he can convince them that Rahimi would make a good asset.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 74) fo convince [b]Rahimi[/b] to join us: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 am
by Cotton
Craig:
Rahimi's mood immediately brightens, and he even switches back to English. "Well I hear from the GIs that it is much safer to travel by air. Ok, I will help you friend."

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Craig. "I'm glad to have you aboard."

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Persuade = 60%[dice]0[/dice]
TYner gives his best pep talk to some of the other soldiers. He thinks it went over pretty well.

I just hope I'm not leading these guys into something they can't handle.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:19 am
by Cotton
Tyner:

You manage to get one solider, PFC Price, to volunteer. He says that even if he can't save the guys who went missing, he can at least avenge them.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
He shakes Price's hand. "Welcome aboard. We need a good man like you."

Time to get ready to go back.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:49 am
by Cotton
While this is happening Alex has been preparing gear for the journey. Is there any last minute preparations any of you want to make before the second expedition?

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner will check to make sure the first aid kit he carries has everything it needs, with all the medications in date and enough supplies to deal with treatable injuries.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I don't remember if I asked for it before, but can we get a satellite phone in case we can't get through on the radio?

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:29 am
by Cotton
OOC:   FOB Turner can spare one satellite phone so you will have to decide who carries it.  
The morning comes and the three agents, Rahimi, and Price load up in a chopper. The day is clear and hot, and as you are flying you spot no signs of the attackers from the previous day. The helicopter drops you off at the base of Varjita Mountain. Now you have a hike ahead of you to where you suspect Kali Ghati to be. Do you give the pilots a time to return to pick you up?

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Either of the other two would be a better choice to carry the sat phone, as they have much higher STR than I do. How far away do we believe Kali Ghati is from here?

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 am
by Cotton
Based on the information you collected you would expect a one to two hour hike.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Shall we have the chopper return in twelve hours, and then again in twelve more if we miss the rendezvous? We can also call for it sooner in an emergency.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:16 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner agrees to carry the phone as well as the medkit. The others can have the heavier weapons. A sidearm is enough for him. The plan to have the choppers check back sounds like a good one. Time to synchronize watches and head out.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 am
by Cotton
The path up and beyond the mountain is steep, but fortunately it can be hiked without anyone having to climb or use special gear. As you go, your GPS and even compasses sporadically give you trouble. The compass needle sometimes claims that “east” is on the wrong side of the morning sun. Electronics warble and occasionally surge and spark.

At one point, what your watches claim to be half an hour into the hike but feels like much longer, Alex points out that your group has somehow managed to go in a circle pointing out a couple landmarks he is sure you have already passed, and Price quickly agrees with him. Anyone with Survival above base realizes they are right.

Over the spur of the mountain, the path leads into a valley. A small village squats at the far end, two kilometers away, in the shadow of limestone cliffs. Not long after entering the valley, what you remember the locals call The Black Valley, you all notice a change in plant life. The scrubby grass and bushes are ugly and diseased looking. Tyner realizes that they are infested with some sort of fungus, but not one he recognizes. Either of you can take samples of the fungus if you wish.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner takes a sample of the fungus, careful to avoid touching it, and sealing it up securely. "Might be infectious," he says. "Could explain why we're disoriented, if it's got psychoactive properties. Everybody be careful to stay alert, report anything abnormal."

He knows the fungus isn't the full explanation, but doesn't dare mention anything else to those outside of Delta Green.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods and carefully surveys their surroundings. "Shall we proceed to the village?" he asks.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:40 am
by Cotton
As you stand in the valley you realize how unsettlingly quite it is. There are no birds chirping or insects buzzing. At almost the same time that Craig asks his question a moan of either pain or ecstasy rises from the village and then slowly dwindles. The air is once again still and silent.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I don't like the sound of that but we've got a job to do.

Tyner addresses the men who aren't used to Delta Green business. "I have to warn you that you may hear and see strange things. Psychological warfare. Just concentrate on the mission and stay alert. Let's go."

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig moves with the others towards the village, keeping alert to his surroundings.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:38 am
by Cotton
The village at the far end of the valley is ancient and decaying. Wooden buildings with mud mortar slowly rot in the shadows of the cliffs. Sickly goats wander in and out of rickety pens. The odor of mold and rot and lye is almost overwhelming. Around every crumbling doorframe letters are carved. Craig recognizes them as an old, debased form of Persian. They describe an ancient priest who has lived under the ground forever and knows the ways of the stars and all the worlds and the future.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig reads out his translation to the others. "Have you ever heard of anything like this?" he asks Rahimi.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am
by Cotton
Rahimi shakes his head no. Another long wail comes from further into the village and once again slowly dwindles.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we're going to have to head for the sound," says Craig with reluctance.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:56 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"The place looks quiet enough," Tyner says. "Let's check it out. Watch out for traps."

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 am
by Cotton
Heading for the source of the wail you walk to the edge of what must be the village center. It is obviously a gathering center with an area for bonfires in the middle. Close to you lies a long haired, severely emaciated figure, the source of the wailing. It is not immediately obvious if this person is a man or woman. They lie on their back limbs jittering and eyes wide. There are more villagers in this area. Some watch the wailing person disinterestedly, two men talk animatedly, and a group of children chase a goat. You don't think that any of them have seen you yet.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:05 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner is torn between his desire to offer medical care and the need for caution. These people don't look particularly dangerous, so he opts for the former.

"Can you tell what those men are talking about?" he asks Craig. "I'm going to go check out that person on the ground, since if I can be of some help. If there's any trouble, maybe you and Rahimi can assure them I'm a healer. Price, maybe you better hang back for now."

He approaches the figure slowly, hands in plain sight, trying not to look threatening.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's like seeing a concentration camp survivor," whispers Craig. "The villagers don't even care. I think we should give him or her some water from a canteen." He follows behind Tyner some distance, listening to the locals' speech.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 am
by Cotton
Craig hears the two men and realizes that they are speaking about the moaning figure who they refer to as Bijan (a male name). One of them is saying that this it is common for him to have these fits while the other argues that this is different from the normal seizures. He is right in the middle of pointing out how the last time Bijan was like this was right before the foreigner showed up when the villagers notice the three of you (Price and Alex are staying hidden for now). The villagers all pause whatever they are doing and watch you approach.

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig translates for the others what he has heard. "I'd better greet them," he says to Tyner. "How do you want to play this?"

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"For right now, tell them we're here with medical help," Tyner says. "That's true enough for now, anyway."

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig smiles and greets the villagers in Dari. "We are here with medical help," he says in the same language.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 am
by Cotton
The villagers start to talk among themselves. Craig overhears the words "Badaa Bahan" (Elder Sister) and "shuria" (tribal meeting). After a minute one of the two men who had been talking about Bijan steps forward and says, "This happens to Bijan regularly, but if you can help him get some rest feel free to. I am Dalir, may I ask who you are?" A couple of the other villagers detach from the main group and head further into the village.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Looks like Craig is doing OK with the villagers.

Tyner checks out the man on the ground to see what can be done to help him.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you,Dalir," says Craig. "I am Craig Reynolds, and this man is Dr. Tyner. We are seeking the other foreigner who visited your village."

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 pm
by Cotton
Tyner
You give the spasming man a small dose of a sedative to help calm him.

Dalir says, "I see. Badaa Bahan will want to meet you, and she can tell you about the foreigners. She is very old so we will have to go to her. Come, this way." With that Dalir and the rest of the villagers start to head further into the village.
OOC:   Do you follow after the villagers, and what do you tell Price and Alex to do?  

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
After seeing to the sick man's comfort as best as he can, Tyner takes Craig aside. "I don't think we should split up, but if you want to ask Price or Alex to stand guard back here, I'll go along with what you decide. There's no immediate danger so far, but I'd rather be part of a group if something comes up."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig translates to the others. "We should go see the old woman," says Craig, "but not all of us need to go. That invitation may only have been for the two of us anyway."

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:58 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"OK, we'll play it your way. Lead on, MacDuff."

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods and follows Dalir to meet Badaa Bahan. "The others can keep an eye on things from a distance," he says. "We can keep in touch with our radios. If you think they should show themselves and come with us, though, I won't mind."

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Ok so Alex and Price are going to remain hidden, but Rahimi is coming with you two since he had come out with you to help Bijan.  
Dalir and the group of villagers lead you past more of the village's ramshackle houses. Most of them are talking excitedly about the forthcoming meeting, and the children are watching you but keeping their distance. Occasionally one will dare another to get closer. Tyner notices more of the strange fungus growing on whatever sparse vegetation is around and sometimes clinging to the walls of the huts. After a few minutes you come to a squat, but more elaborately constructed building that can only be a temple. Dalir and most of the other villagers head inside, although a few (including all of the children) wait outside. Once the three of you enter, you see a very old, golden statue of a dragon with rubies for eyes. Craig, with his extensive knowledge of this region's history, knows this to be a statue of the sun god Zun, and both he and Tyner remember that Zun was mentioned in the notes recovered from Ellis's laptop. You also see an assortment of cushions have been laid out in a circle on the floor with three left open for you. One of the cushions is occupied by a wizened, old woman. Speaking in that same old dialect she says: "Greetings, I am Badaa Bahan. Dalir tells me that you have come to my home seeking a missing friend of yours. I assure you that he is unharmed, and came to us of his own free will. Since it is so rare we receive visitors, however, I thought it was best we hold this meeting."

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:39 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
When Tyner hears the old woman's translated words, he hopes there's a way they can get out of this mess without bloodshed. "Ask her if we can talk to our friend," he whispers to Craig. He makes sure to nod respectfully to the woman when she speaks. Obviously she's a force to reckon with.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We thank you for your hospitality," says Craig in Dari, greeting her respectfully and taking a seat on a cushion facing her. "Our friend's name is Ellis, and he came to your village some time ago. We were hoping we could speak to him."

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:30 am
by Cotton
As Badaa Bahan speaks a couple villagers pass out cups and pour green tea in them. The entire tea set is ornate but, much like the rest of the village, very old. You are each offered some tea as well.
"Ellis, that's right. I apologize my memory is not as good as it once was. When he came here he said he wished to speak with (she says a combination of words that Craig believes translates to 'little god' but due to her odd dialect he is not entirely sure). He is the first outsider in living memory to do so, and we were more than happy to oblige. 'little god' lives in the monastery that was built into the cliffs. You're friend Ellis is still up there as far as I am aware."

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
While listening to this conversation Tyner takes a small sip of the tea. It would be rude to refuse, but he's a little paranoid about that fungus. He tries to notice if the tea has any effect on him.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Craig, gratefully accepting the tea and sipping it. "We would like to go to the monastery too. Can you please tell us how to get there from here?"

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:36 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
The tea smells and tastes like normal green tea, and is not bad. You don't feel any different after taking a sip.
OOC:   You can make an Alertness roll though.  
Badaa Bahan sips her tea and waits patiently during the translation portions of the conversation. After Craig poses his question she replies, "The only way to the monastery is by climbing up the cliff. It should not be especially difficult for you three, but I will send Dalir and Farhaad with you. They make the climb fairly often, and they two guided your friend up if I remember correctly." She looks to Dalir to who nods emphatically.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Alertness = 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner enjoys the green tea. It makes me feel more awake and aware of his surroundings.

So far everything seems too easy. These folks are too friendly, too eager to help them. Still, they've got no other way to find Ellis.

"I hope it's OK with these people if we take Price and Alex, too. And the fact that we carry arms. We can say it's to fight off bandits."

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig translates for the old woman. "Thank you again," he says. "We have two more friends nearby who can meet us there. They are armed, to protect us as we travel. Is it all right if they join us?"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
You notice that Rahimi, since he has not needed to do any translating has been very carefully trying to look as if he is drinking tea without actually drinking any (or at least not drinking very much). You also see that all the other villagers watch the old woman reverently, and have paid almost no attention to you since the meeting began.

Badaa Bahaan says, "You are very welcome young man. If you need time to collect your friends you can and then you can all meet Dalir and Farhaad at the base of the cliffs."

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"We shall do that," says Craig. "It has been a pleasure meeting you and visiting your village. I hope we can stop by again on our way back."

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner bows respectfully to the old woman and goes back to the others. "So far, so good. Be prepared for anything, though. You never know who might be up in these hills."

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 am
by Cotton
Badaa Bahaan returns the bow as best she can and declares the tribal meeting to be at its end. As the three of you exit the building and head towards where you left Alex and Price you are followed by a few of the children who still regard you with curiosity.
OOC:   Please make a Con x 5 check.  

Alex:
14 x 5 = 70
[dice]0[/dice]

Rahimi:
10 x 5 = 50
[dice]1[/dice]

Price:
16 x 5 = 80
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

In spite of recently having had tea, Craig feels weary.
OOC,CON x 5 roll (50% stat) leaving the village: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CON = 8X 5 = 40[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner doesn't feel that great. Must be old age creeping up on him.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 am
by Cotton
By the time the the three of you have made it back to where Price and Alex wait, you both have started to cough unpleasantly and feel very fatigued.
OOC:   Lose this much in Willpower:
Craig:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner:
[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:09 am
by Cotton
So you have all regrouped and know that two men wait to guide you up the cliff to the temple where you were told Ellis is. What do you say to Alex, and the non-Delta Green Price, and what is your next move after that?

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"This is it, men. The last known whereabouts of Ellis, the man we've come to find. I don't see any obvious signs of danger, but you never know what's happening in these remote areas. Be prepared for anything. We've got a couple of guides. Anybody who doesn't feel like going along, well, that's your call. This is a volunteer mission. Any questions?"

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 am
by Cotton
Price stands at attention while Tyner speaks, once the older man is finished he replies, "No point in coming all this way and not seeing this to its end, I'm coming with. One question though, sir. When you met with the villagers did they mention seeing any other Americans? The guys that went after Ellis initially?"

Rahimi is obviously very nervous about the idea of going into the temple on the cliffs, but says, "If everyone else is going I will too, as you say, safety in numbers."

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I do feel somewhat tired," says Craig, "but I don't know why. We shared some green tea with them. I'm not sure what was in it, but it would have been rude to decline. They didn't mention anyone else coming here to look for Ellis, but I'd think they'd have mentioned it if it had happened. They did say it was rare that they received visitors. The other search parties might not have found the village or not made it this far. The elder did say that Ellis was the first outsider in living memory to go up the mountain to the monastery. If anyone did come here looking for Ellis, I can't imagine they'd have turned back without trying to follow him or reporting where he had gone."

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 am
by Cotton
Price tries to hide his disappointment. "That's what I was afraid of. Thank you, sir. I'm ready when everyone else is."

You make your way through the decrepit village, occasionally spotting curios villagers watching you from inside their homes. As you are walking Alex pulls the two of you as far ahead of Price and Rahimi as he can without them getting suspicious and says, "When you met with them did the villagers say or do anything weird? I mean you guys are here because you know the kind of weird I'm talking about right?"

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods in response to Price's last question. "There wasn't anything they said or did," he says, "but I did notice one unusual thing: In the elder's home there was an ancient golden statue of a dragon with rubies as its eyes. This is a representation of the sun god Zun, which was something that had interested Ellis."

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:20 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cultists Tyner figures. Could be trouble. Best to approach this with our eyes wide open.

"I'll tell Price to watch out for fanatics and to report any strange activity."

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 am
by Cotton
You reach the base of the limestone cliffs. Dalir and Farhaad are already waiting for you there. Farhaad is in his late teens, and appears to be related to Dalir (his brother you would assume based on their ages). The two guides point out the entrance to the temple above you. It is a black, uneven crack in the limestone about five feet across and twenty feet high. The path up the cliff takes two hours, but the two villagers have brought show you exactly where the hands and footholds are. You know that this path would be significantly more difficult without them. Once you reach the threshold, you see that steps have been carved roughly by hand over countless years. Farhaad begins to make camp at the top of these stairs, and Dalir says in his native tongue, "Go, I'm sure your friend will be pleased to see you. Farhaad and I will wait here for your return."
OOC:   Make a HUMINT role please.  

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig has to wonder whether they really will still be here waiting for them.
OOC,HUMINT roll (50% skill) at the clifftop: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:49 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
HUMINT = 30%[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner figures he can trust these two guys as much as anybody else; he can't really read anything out of their expressions.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Craig realizes that Rahimi also see what he sees.  
Alex:
HUMINT 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Rahimi:
HUMINT 60%
[dice]1[/dice]

Price:
HUMINT 10%
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:42 am
by Cotton
Craig and Rahimi can, thanks in no small part to the understanding of the villager's language, tell that the two guides are filled with an excited almost nervous energy.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Our guides seem awfully excited about something," Craig says to his team in English.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner hasn't been paying much attention to the guides. "Happy excited or scared excited?"

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They seem filled with some kind of nervous energy," says Craig, "like they're anticipating something is going to happen. Hard to say whether they're happy about it or not. Even if they think it's good for them, it might not necessarily be good for us."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 am
by Cotton
"Should we leave someone behind to watch them? We could all start to head down the stairs and then I could turn around and sneak back up here," says Alex gesturing to the great, carved steps.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:28 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Worth a shot," Tyner says. "Just to make sure they really head back. Then we'll start the climb."

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope they don't turn back," says Craig. "They said they would wait here for our return so they could guide us back afterwards. I was concerned they wouldn't wait."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Good point. We better make sure we know the way back."

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:26 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   You would know how to climb back down the mountain although it would take longer and be more difficult without guides.  

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can get back to the village if we have to," says Craig, "it'll just take longer and be harder. Let's get moving, and then Alex can double back and keep watch."

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:27 pm
by Cotton
You descend between sheer walls of uncarved stone, unevenly, farther and farther. Light from above is soon lost. Not long after Alex splits off from the group, Rahimi points out that the walls are no longer limestone but are instead a strange, green-black substance. The green-black stone is cold and damp to the touch and seems to leave naked fingers dry as if it sucked the oil from the surface of the skin. When the stairs end at last, you find yourselves in a vast chamber. The walls and floor are shaped more intricately than the long stairs. Ahead of you are yet more chambers.
OOC:   Make Conx5 checks please, and is anyone using night vision goggles or are all of you relying on flashlights?  

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig still feels inexplicably exhausted.
OOC,I'm using my night vision goggles. CON x 5 roll (50% stat) in the monastery: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CON = 8 X 5 = 40[dice]0[/dice]
"Hey, you OK buddy?" Tyner feels fine. He wonders if this weird rock might be radioactive or toxic.
Spoiler:
Flashlight for me.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   Craig loses 1 Hp and [dice]0[/dice] Willpower as the cough and fatigue that started in the village grows worse.  
Craig:
Spoiler:
As Craig looks at the walls he sees complex patterns and designs etched into the green-black rock. The more he looks,the more he is able to discern. He sees countless stars flaring to supernova, and living things of uncertain form and size flying between them; the passage of vast epochs of time; then the Earth itself, its continents merged into one, and those formless things flying to the young planet. There are other things depicted as well, but they make little sense to him.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I feel weak, doc," says Craig. He stops and stares at the designs in the rock. "This is amazing! I wonder when it was carved. It shows modern knowledge, but it looks ancient."

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Can you make any sense of it?"

While Craig is examining the carvings, Tyner attempts to diagnose his illness from its signs and symptoms.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, it's some sort of cosmological history," says Craig, pointing at parts of the etchings in turn. "This shows a bunch of stars going supernova with some sort of strange creatures flying between them. That part shows huge ages of time passing, and then the same creatures flying towards Earth, only in the distant past. All the continents are one in this image. There's more, but it's beyond me."

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
Spoiler:
Based on his symptoms, coughing, fatigue, and shivering even though it is quite warm inside this temple, you believe that Craig has caught some kind of respiratory infection. Your thoughts turn immediately to the strange fungus you found in and around the village. Before you can dwell on that for too long, however, Craig begins to narrate what he says he sees carved onto the walls. His voice grows breathless and every time he mentions the "strange creatures" he seems filled with excitement and hunger.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Sounds pretty important," Tyner says. "Better put it away for safe keeping and study it later." He searches through the medical kit for some acetaminophen, aspirin, and/or ibuprofen, to treat the fever. Antifungal agents, if he's got any. "Take one of these antipyretics about every four hours. Should help with the fever."

I hope it's just fever. Got to stop him from looking at that thing any longer. Stinks of Delta Green business.

"You guys keep an eye on Craig," he says to the other. "He's a little under the weather. Let me know if you feel any chills or fever, too. Could be a virus going around."

I doubt that's all it is, but I can't let them know that.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:57 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Nothing antifungal unfortunately so you'll have to make do with treating the fever.  
Rahimi, concerned, asks Craig: "Are you alright friend?"

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, friend," says Craig, swallowing his medicine with a swig of water from his canteen, "I'm feeling somewhat ill, but I don't think I'm dying. What was in that tea?" He glances at the rockface. "I think it's a bit too big to put away, but I'm sure taking pictures of it." Taking out his camera, he documents the etchings.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:52 am
by Cotton
With the etchings on the wall documented, you move on. Openings a hundred feet tall and eighty feet wide lead from one chamber to the next. At seemingly random intervals Bafflingly shaped stones protrude from the walls, floor, and ceiling. They are almost certainly carved, although you couldn't say what they are supposed to depict. Something about this place causes strange optical illusions. The angles are wrong, rooms are either much larger or much smaller than your eyes say they are. You duck to avoid ceilings that are far above you. At one point, Tyner walks through a wide opening only to slam into a wall that should have been far to his right. You feel as though you have been walking for hours. And that is when you begin to hear, in the distance, screaming.
OOC:   San check (for the Unnatural proportions of the temple):0/1  

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig doesn't spend long thinking about the weird proportions of the temple once he hears the scream. "Let's go," he hisses, drawing his weapon as he heads towards the sound. "It could be Ellis."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 74) in the temple: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
SAN= 41[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner freaks out at the way the universe has suddenly gone crazy. He stands stunned, his mouth wide open, staring at walls where there shouldn't be any. Not even the screams draw his attention away from it.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
Rahimi shakes you in an attempt to gain your attention. "My friend," he says in his accented English. "You must snap out of it. We need to keep going."

Craig:
Price follows towards the source of the sound. You reach the entrance to a chamber much larger than the rest. As you approach the source you both realize that sound you are hearing is singing from a voice that has been horribly misused. From the chamber comes an almost overpowering smell of rot and mold and acid. You see in the distance, farther into the chamber, a human figure, the singer, kneeling in the darkness.
OOC:   Anyone who get to this last chamber must make a Conx5 roll because of the smell. Failing means a -20% to all physical rolls until the character has spent an hour in clean air.
Price: CONx5 80%
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig seems to have recovered somewhat from his condition, and he manages to keep his lunch down. He peers at the figure, trying to determine if it matches the description of Ellis.
OOC,CON x 5 roll (50% stat) in the temple: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CON = 40[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner pulls himself out of his trance only to be seized with a violent spasm of vomiting, due to the nauseating stench. He manages to choke out a wordless thanks to the brave local. It's going to be an uphill fight from here.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   Rahimi: Con 55%
[dice]0[/dice]  
Tyner:
Rahimi waits for you to recover, and offers you water.

Craig:
You are to far away to tell for certain whether the person is Ellis. Price says: "Whenever your ready, I'm right behind you."

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:35 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Thank you, my friend," Tyner says. "The great hospitality of your people has not been exaggerated. We better keep going."

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever it is does not appear to be in danger," whispers Craig. "Let's wait here for the others to catch up with us, then one of us can move closer silently to get a better look."

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 am
by Cotton
After a minute Tyner and Rahimi catch up, and now all four of you are standing at the entrance to this large chamber. The light from the three flashlights does not penetrate very far into the foul smelling room, and the Craig's NVGs far little better. The singer continues to belt his shrill, tortured song.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:04 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"We have any ear protection equipment?" Tyner doesn't like the sound of that song. Reducing its volume may help, if it has any bad effects. "Earplugs, even headphones, maybe?"

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"One of us should try to slip closer to get a better look, see if that's Ellis," says Craig, rummaging through his pack to see if he has anything of use.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Each of you can have earplugs if you'd like.  

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner accepts the earplugs and offers them to the others. "That weird singing could mess up our concentration," he explains. "Just make sure they're not in so tight you can't hear anything. We need to be able to communicate."

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods, putting in his earplugs. "Who should approach?" he asks, making sure he can still hear his own voice. "I'm not very stealthy."

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Despite the fact that he's still feeling sick, Tyner figures he can't ask anybody outside of Delta Green to make the first approach. "It's me or Alex. You wanna flip a coin for the honor?"

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Alex[/b] does have Stealth at a decent level.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Yes but he is keeping an eye on the two guides from the village.  

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's back at the clifftop," says Craig. "Neither one of us is very sneaky, I guess, but at least the singer will be distracted. Maybe I should go first. At least I can probably speak with whoever it is."

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:25 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Craig please give me a stealth roll at +20% as you move up as quietly as you can.  
Craig:
Spoiler:
You walk into the chamber and as you draw closer you see that the figure is indeed Ellis. Around and above him on immense stony spires or pillars hang the bodies of the other missing soldiers,horribly marred, what limbs remain to them hanging at strange angles in mockery of gravity (San:Unnatural 1/1D4). The bodies' limbs point in the same direction as Ellis kneels, towards an angular black stone slab high as a barn. Atop the slab lies a Shape. It’s vast as a hill. Bulging scaly, slimy flesh painted green by your NVGs. You see hints of its bulk that seem to overlap with what can be seen with itself and fade into nothingness along impossible curves and angles. (SAN: 1/1D10)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

Craig approaches, his footsteps seeming far too loud. The sights he sees disturb him greatly, and it takes every ounce of his willpower not to cry out or run away.
OOC,Stealth roll (10% + 20 = 30% base skill) approaching the figure: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 74) for seeing the corpses: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 73) for seeing the shape: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:48 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner tries to make out what's happening, signaling to the others to stay back and keep quiet.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:26 am
by Cotton
Craig:
Spoiler:
Ellis turns his head to look at you over his shoulder, and says, his voice slightly muffled by your earplugs, "Blood will awaken Him."
Tyner:
Spoiler:
Please give me an Alertness roll at a -10%.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Blood will awaken whom?" asks Craig, puzzled.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:57 am
by Cotton
Ellis stands and gestures with both hands towards the Shape at the top of the slab. "I need to hear Him again. I need Him to wake up."

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who is He?" asks Craig, practically hearing the capital letter. He gestures for Tyner to approach, hoping that the doctor has a sedative ready.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:01 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cotton wrote:
Tyner:
Spoiler:
Please give me an Alertness roll at a -10%.
Spoiler:
Alertness = 40% - 10% = 30 %[dice]0[/dice]
It's too dark for Tyner to see what's happening. "What did you find, Craig? Is that Ellis?" He moves forward slowly, ready for anything.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes," says Craig, "and...something else. Be prepared for a shock, and be ready."

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm
by Cotton
Now Tyner, Price, and Rahimi have now joined Craig. Fortunately, the light of their flashlights is too dim for the three of them to see all of what is in this main room. You all see the painfully emaciated Ellis who sways back and forth facing you. He continues to mutter about blood and Him. Even though he is looking at you, you get the feeling he is staring right through you.
OOC:   1. What would you like to do now? 2. Please give me an Alertness check -10%, this one is for hearing something far away.  

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Alertness = 40 - 10 % = 30[dice]0[/dice]Right on the border. Guess that's a failure.
Tyner approaches slowly, trying not to disturb Ellis. "That's our man," he whispers to the other men with him. "He's pretty sick, out of his head. We've got to get him out of here without hurting him." He checks his medical kit for a sedative injection, just in case.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods in response to Dr. Tyner, making an injection motion with his thumb pressing down on his curled fingers.
OOC,Alertness roll (40% - 10 = 30% skill) in the temple: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   Rolling the exact number does count as a success.  
Tyner:
Spoiler:
As you prepare a sedative you hear in the distance a burst of noise that is unmistakably gunfire. It is coming from the direction you came from, back where you left Alex.

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Damn," Tyner says. "There's a battle going on behind us. We've got a grab Ellis and get the hell out of here."

He tries to inject Ellis with a sedative. If there isn't one, or if it doesn't work, he'll try to knock him out.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig moves around to the opposite side of Ellis from Tyner, repeating his earlier question in the hopes of distracting him so that the doctor can inject him with a sedative. If that doesn't work, he'll have to resort to unarmed combat, though he has no training in it. The best he could probably hope for would be to hold him while Tyner punches out his lights.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Make an unarmed roll for me please Tyner.  

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Cotton wrote:
OOC:   Make an unarmed roll for me please Tyner.  
Spoiler:
Unarmed Combat = 60%[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner takes a swing at Ellis and connects with a good one. "Sorry about that, friend, but it's for your own good."

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 am
by Cotton
Tyner's punch catches Ellis completely by surprise. He reels but is caught by Craig, and Tyner quickly administers the sedative. Ellis struggles at first but after a few minutes the drugs take effect. As you are preparing yo carry Ellis out, there is a stirring in the darkness. Craig realizes that The Shape is moving; the other three see the vast. monstrous thing for the first time.
OOC:   Tyner: make a SAN check as you see a thing vast as a hill with hints of its bulk that seem to overlap with what can be seen with itself and fade into nothingness along impossible curves and angles. (The SAN loss is 1/1D10)  

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quick, let's get him out of here!" hisses Craig, helping to carry the unconscious Ellis.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:51 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
SAN = 40[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner freezes, once again terrified by the way reality doesn't make sense any more. Far away he can vaguely sense someone talking to him, but all he can think about is the vortex of madness drawing him into its infinite spiral of horror.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Sorry, realized I had a typo while writing the SAN loss for you Tyner. Since you failed I will roll a D10, and thats your how much SAN you lose.
[dice]0[/dice]
Since that is more than five points of SAN it is a temporary insanity which in this case will manifest as you freezing up (to reflect your roleplaying). Both Price and Rahimi also failed and rolled over five for the SAN loss.  
As the Shape moves and awakens, Price sprints off into the darkness back the way you came. Both Tyner and Rahimi freeze up staring at the vast thing. Craig, you find yourself the only one holding the unconscious Ellis as the things many eyes open.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Don't they have to make an Idea roll if they lose 5 or more Sanity? They should only go temporarily insane if they succeed at the Idea roll. Or is it different with the new Delta Green rules?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm
by Cotton
OOC:   I'm using the player's handbook for rules because the core rules book is not out yet, but it looks like that has been dropped from the new DG edition. Instead, temporary insanities result in the character either fighting, running away, or freezing up. When a character hits their breaking point they develop a disorder, and there is not a idea check for that either.  

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

As quietly as he can, Craig tries to drag Ellis away from the creature and towards the exit.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:57 am
by Cotton
As Criag begins to drag Ellis out the chamber and Tyner and Rahimi stare on in awe and horror, thirteen glistening eyes open and The Shape "speaks". Flashlights flicker and die and the NVGs short out as a psychic wave of alien thought emanates from The Shape.
OOC:   Make a SAN roll. This is enough to wake Tyner and Rahimi out of their catatonic states.  

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig manages to keep his wits about him.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 72) in the temple: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
I'm assuming I need to make another one, and I believe I am down to SAN 33[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is reduced to a quivering mass of jelly at this latest rip in the reality of the universe.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:54 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Craig: [dice]0[/dice] Tyner:[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:38 am
by Cotton
OOC:   That's the San los for the "psychic shout". Tyner since you've hit your breaking point you gain claustrophobia as a disorder, this won't kick in immediately because the idea of the disorders is that your character develops them after they return home from the DG operation. Also you can add 4 to your unnatural skill.  
Craig:
You manage to keep calm enough to block out the majority of the hideous alien thought invading your mind and continue to manage to drag Ellis to the entrance way of the chamber. Looking down you see that Ellis, while still unconscious, has begun to froth at the mouth and his limbs are spasm slightly.

Tyner:
You head is flooded with alien visions that inform you of the ancientness of this creature and the fact that it exists not only in the reality you perceive but others as well. As this happens you are tackled to the ground. Rahami now straddles you're chest, he has a crazed look upon his face and he is attempting to close his hands around your throat.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Something's wrong with Ellis!" calls Craig, unaware of what's happening behind him and trying to do what he can for Ellis. "He could use some help here, Doc!"

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:29 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner tries to shout for help as the translator's fingers wrap around his throat. He struggles to fight him off.
Spoiler:
Unarmed Combat = 60%; disregard if not appropriate here.[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:02 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
You strike out and hit Rahimi hard across the face. His grip loosens as he reel and you shove him off of you. You stand up and can see the spasming Ellis.
OOC:   Also please roll 1D4 for damage.  

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner's throat burns with pain where the mad translator attacked him. He tries to ignore the pain and go see if he can help Ellis, keeping an eye on Rahimi to see if he attacks again. Too much going on at once.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 am
by Cotton
Rahimi appears to have entered some sort of fugue state, he lies on his back staring at the two of you as Tyner attempts to help the spasming Ellis. As this is happening the entire chamber begins to shake as The Shape lurches forward onto off of its platform. You're mind is filled with images of predator animals tearing apart prey as it psychically shouts it hunger. You both realize that it is time to leave.
OOC:   The question is do you attempt to bring Ellis and/or Rahimi with you?  

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:39 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
No time to think. Tyner tries to grab Ellis by force and drag him out. It's up to Craig to do what he can for Rahimi. "I'm taking Ellis. Let's go!"

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig tries to pull Rahimi with him to the exit. His fellow translator was only here because of him, and he's not about to leave him behind.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:15 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Ok please make a CONx5 roll to make sure you'll be able to move quick enough while carrying the unconscious men, and make a INTx5 test.  

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CON = 8[dice]0[/dice] INT = 14[dice]1[/dice]
This horrible experience has left Tyner physically and mentally wiped out. He can't carry Ellis and he can't think what else to do.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig is slowed down by Rahimi's weight, but something occurs to him.
OOC,CON x 5 roll (50% stat) to move fast enough while carrying [b]Rahimi[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] INT x 5 roll (65% stat) while trying to flee: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:51 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
Spoiler:
While being chased by the slavering and monstrous Shape, you get turned around in the dark, weird chambers of the temple. It occurs to you that you might still be able to find away out if you leave Ellis behind.
OOC:   Please make an Athletics check.  
Craig:
Spoiler:
Running through the strange chambers of the temple you can hear as well as feel the hungry, alien Shape pursuing you. You lose Tyner in the darkness. You realize that you will never be able to make it out carrying Rahimi, but you can see the way out. If you left Rahimi behind you might have a chance.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Though it pains him to abandon Rahimi, Craig realizes that he has no choice. If he continues trying to carry him, they'll both end up dead. At least this way he has a chance to survive. Reluctantly, he drops Rahimi and sprints for the exit, his weapon in his hand in case there is trouble there.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:20 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Athletics = 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Damn. This whole mission has been a disaster from the start. Now it's just a matter of survival.

Tyner's years of sports training haven't failed him yet. That probably has something to do with fear.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 am
by Cotton
Craig:
Spoiler:
You stumble through the blackness until you find the spot on the stone where the carvings you could only see in night vision are. You find Price kneeling on the ground there, back against the wall. Looking up at you, a rush of words pour out of him, "Holy shit you're alive! I tried to go back but... that thing. What about the others? What was it? So many eyes! How the fuck do we get out of here?
Tyner:
Spoiler:
You manage to avoid the thing, but can unfortunately hear the ripping of skin and snapping of bone as it descends on poor, mad Ellis. You sprint through the blackness in a desperate search for the way out
OOC:   Another INTx5 check  

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 14 X 5 = 70[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is too upset to think. All he knows is that he's failed, badly. Poor Ellis. Nothing to do now but get the hell out of here.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Tyler took Ellis, but I got separated from them," says Craig quickly. "I had Rahimi, but I couldn't move fast enough carrying him with that thing chasing me. I don't know what the hell it is. The exit is this way, come on!" He helps Price up with his free hand and tries to pull him towards the cave mouth.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Make another athletics test to avoid the Shape. If that is successful make another Intx5 roll; if it is unsuccessful make a dodge roll.  
Craig:
Spoiler:
You pull Price to the stairs out of the temple, and the both of you head up towards the light of the setting sun coming from the cave mouth. Making it to the top of the stairs you stumble over the body of one of the village guides. Looking down you see that the man has been shot multiple times in the head making it impossible for you to identify him, and that a hatchet lies beside him in his pool of blood. Looking up you see the other guide, also dead, and Alex at the mouth of the cave attempting to bandage his left shoulder.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
athletics = 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
dodge = 50%[dice]1[/dice]
Fatigue is starting to tell on Tyner's body, but he manages to get out of the way of the thing after them.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"They attacked you?" asks Craig, trying to help Alex with his wound.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:44 am
by Cotton
Tyner:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Make an Intx5 test.  
Craig:
Spoiler:
Alex is startled by your question, but quickly recovers and replies, "Yeah one minute I was watching them and the next they rushed me. Something is going on back down there too." He gestures toward the village. Standing at the mouth of the cave now, you can hear shrieks and cries and see a good deal of smoke coming from the settlement below.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
INT = 14 X 5 = 70[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner tries hard to figure out what exactly is going on, despite all his shock and fatigue. He gets an idea.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"We don't have much time," says Craig, shining his flashlight into the cave in the hopes that Tyner will see it. If it doesn't work, he borrows Alex's. "We'll have to get out of here fast once we get everyone out we can."

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:32 am
by Cotton
Craig:
Spoiler:
You find that your flashlight has been completely fried, but Alex's is still in working order. You shine it back towards the cave and after a few minutes, a sweaty, terrified Tyner clambers up the stairs.
Tyner:
After what seems like an eternity, you see a light shining in the darkness. You follow it desperately and are relieved to find the stairs up to the cave's entrance. Reaching the top of those stairs, you find Craig, Alex (with a shoulder injury), and Price. You also see that the two guides from the village have been shot to death, but that they both had weapons.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:36 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Grab all the weapons you can carry from those poor guys and let's get the hell out of here," Tyner says. "Expect unfriendly fire."

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 am
by Cotton
Tyner: can see now that there is smoke rising from the village, and that several voices are screaming in either pain or ecstasy. It is obvious to everyone that you should avoid that way when heading back down the mountain at all costs.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:48 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Tyner catches up to Alex and tries to provide medical care. They need his backwoods skill to get the heck out of here.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ellis is...lost?" asks Craig. "We'll have to get back to the rendezvous by another route and hope the chopper picks us up quickly enough." He instinctively checks his watch to see how long they have until then, though he realizes it probably won't work either. "Must have been an electromagnetic pulse that fried our gear."

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:21 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Ellis is dead," Tyner says bluntly. "I just hope it was quick. Now we've got to save our own skins."

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Damn, all those lives lost for nothing..." says Craig. "Let's get out of here, before we join them."

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:14 am
by Cotton
You are all now at the mouth of the cave in Varjita Mountain, and are faced with a choice: climbing back down the way you came up, or try to climb down another way.
OOC:   Using the same route down will not require a check, but will lead into the village and whatever dangers lay there. Using a different route will require a check.  

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Sounds like trouble back in the village," Tyner says. "We should find another way down."

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig nods. "Yeah, let's get moving," he says.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 am
by Cotton
OOC:   Strx5 check.  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
STR=13 X 5 = 65[dice]0[/dice]
Sheer desperation gives Tyner the strength he needs to go on.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Terror sparks a surge of adrenaline, lending Craig the raw strength he needs to climb quickly.
OOC,STR x 5 roll (40% stat) climbing down: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 am
by Cotton
Price STRx5: 80
[dice]0[/dice]

Alex STRx5: 65
[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:28 am
by Cotton
The four of you begin your climb down the back of the mountain. Even with Alex's injured arm it only takes about three hours. The screams of agony and ecstasy can no longer be heard from the village, in fact the entirety of the valley has gone deathly quite. Now, you need to make your way back to the rendezvous spot.
OOC:   Make a Navigate check  

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig has gotten turned around, and he isn't entirely sure which way to go.
OOC,Navigate roll (30% skill) to find the rendezvous: [dice]0[/dice] Do we have GPS? A compass?

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Navigate = 10%[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner is hopelessly lost. "How about you, Alex? You're supposed to be the backwoods guy."

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 am
by Cotton
Alex: Navigate 30%
[dice]0[/dice]

Price: Navigate 40%
[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   You're GPS and even compasses have been acting strangely ever since you arrived in the valley.  
Fortunately, Price and Alex are familiar with overland navigation and you are able to find your way back to the pick up spot. The four of you arrive a few hours ahead of the scheduled pick up time. You'll either have to wait, call FOB Turner using the Sat Phone, or send up a flare.
OOC:   If you're plan is to use the Sat phone, then Victoria will have to make a LUCK roll to see if it still works since Tyner is the one caring it.  

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's use the sat phone to call the base," says Craig. "The longer we stick around here, the more likely they are to find us."

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:35 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Let me see if I can get this damn gizmo to work."
Spoiler:
I believe LUCK = POW x 5 = 50%[dice]0[/dice]
After fiddling with it a while, Tyner pulls his fingers away from it as if he's gotten a shock. "No go. It's shorted out. Do we risk sending up a flare and drawing unwanted attention?"

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't take a chance on that," says Craig. "The villagers would see that for sure and come after us. I think we'd better just cover our tracks, hide, and wait for the chopper to pick us up. Are all of our radios fried too?"

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 am
by Cotton
OOC:   The three of you who went down into the temple proper had all your radios and flashlights and stuff fried by the "sound" that The Shape made. I'll roll luck for Alex's radio.
Pow x 5 = 40%
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 am
by Cotton
Unfortunately all of your radios and Sat Phones have been fried. Fortunately, there are multiple places where along the road (although that might be a generous term for the dirt path your on) where rock outcroppings would provide cover for one or more of you.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Looks like we settle in and hope for the cavalry to show up," Tyner says. "Failing that, it's a long walk home."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hope it doesn't come to that," says Craig, looking around for suitable hiding spots from which they can observe the landing site without being seen.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:47 am
by Cotton
OOC:   There are a couple different spots that Price points out as suitable cover. Are you all going to bunker down in the same spot or spread out?  

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:50 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Let's stick together," Tyner suggests. "I don't feel like being alone out here."

I don't feel like dying alone, either.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, if you think it's best, Doc," says Craig.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:51 am
by Cotton
The four of you hunker down behind an rock outcropping so that you are out of sight of both the road and the direction of the village. The heat and exhaustion and sheer boredom of this waiting as compared to the unadulterated terror you felt under the mountain weighs heavily on you. All four of you attempt to keep an eye on every direction at once, searching for villagers and Taliban.
OOC:   Conx5 checks please  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CON x 5 = 40[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner isn't as young as he used to be, but so far he's managing to fight off succumbing to the elements. "How are you guys doing? Need any first aid?"

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I'm okay," says Craig.
OOC,CON x 5 roll (50% stat) waiting for the chopper: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 am
by Cotton
Wounds are treated, watch is kept, and hours pass. Eventually, Price speaks up, "What was that thing? Were the people from that village worshiping it?"

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Maybe a hallucination or some kind of optical illusion," Tyner says, hoping price will believe the lie. "Try to keep calm if you experience anything else weird."

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig shrugs but doesn't say anything. He is unable to think of a lie that will pass muster. It couldn't be something the villagers had put in the tea that had made them hallucinate, since Price hadn't drank any. It couldn't have been a hologram, or the EMP would have fried the projector. All he has is the truth, that the creature is real, and that truth is unbearable. All of them are downright lucky to be alive -or are the dead the lucky ones?

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:29 am
by Cotton
Tyner's response is enough to stop Price from asking any more difficult questions, but its clear to both of you that he's a long way from believing the lie. More time passes and night falls, the lack of signs of life (there are no animals, vehicles, and the direction of the village you fled is quite as the grave) is disturbing. You hear the helicopter well before seeing it, and are able to discern that it is your ride. The chopper circles the area quickly before making its landing near where you are hiding. You board and are on your way to FOB Turner.
OOC:   The ride back is a short one, do you talk about anything on the way back? Also what do you plan to do once you reach the base?  

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, this was a royal SNAFU," says Craig, shaking his head. "I'm thinking we should drop a Daisy Cutter on that temple."

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:33 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I'm inclined to agree," Tyner says, but I doubt the brass will go for wiping out ancient monuments. Maybe we can convince them that it should be strictly off-limits to allied forces. It's a bad place. Let the bad guys have it."

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"We don't have to tell them specifically what's at the site," says Craig. "We can describe it as an enemy stronghold where an EMP device was used. Technically, that's true, even if it's not the entire truth. I hate destroying antiquities, but that place is just...wrong."

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
"I hear you. Price, can you back us up on this? We don't want any more casualties in the area."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 am
by Cotton
Price agrees to backup your story. As you are making your landing at the base, you all realize that your best bet as far as getting the village and temple destroyed is speaking directly to your Delta Green handler about it as oppose to the commander of FOB Turner.
OOC:   For this, one of you (whoever's skill is the highest) will need to make a Persuasion test with a 30% bonus (this is to take in account the other three characters helping you out).  

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:27 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Looks like Craig and Tyner have the same 60% Persuade skill, so I'll go ahead.[dice]0[/dice]
Tyner gets on a secure line to Delta Green and relates the whole story, with witnesses. The bosses seem convinced.

"Is it possible to do a surgical strike just on the temple? Without that, I don't think the village is that big a threat, and there might be innocents there."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 am
by Cotton
Your Delta Green Handlers are disappointed that you were unable to recover Ellis, but say that given his apparent mental state his death might have been the best possible outcome. They are all too happy to destroy Khali Gati and inform you that an airstrike is forthcoming. They say that before the three of you are extracted you'll need to bring Price into the fold by briefing him, and only him, in some way about Delta Green.
OOC:   No roll required for briefing Price, that's just a role-play thing. I will need a Luck roll (Powx5) from the person with the lowest power for something else however.  

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:59 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
I think that would be Alex who is no longer being played. POW x 5 = 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Things have gone very badly during this mission but at least there's one bright spot.

Tyner decides to let Price in on the nature of their real mission, slowly, step by step, judging how he reacts to each revelation.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig goes with Tyner to support him. Having a second witness will help in case Price meets his statement with disbelief.

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:27 am
by Cotton
When you talk to Price he seems relieved. "Thank god. I thought before that I was going crazy with what I saw in the cave, but if its true that there are people out there fighting things like it then I'll gladly help." You both feel somewhat disheartened by his enthusiasm, given the horrors you witnessed recently. For the rest of your time at FOB Turner Price treats you two and Alex with a kind of reverence.

A few days later a jet passes over the American base heading in the direction of Khali Gati. Not long after there is an explosion in the distance and for a time you are satisfied to know that that accursed place no longer exists. A couple days after that the news reaches you that the village that was destroyed was in fact not Khali Gati. You remember the way that the valley disrupted your electronics and compasses, and assume that that must have caused the pilot's equipment to malfunction as well. The only question that remains is, do you try to destroy the village again or keep your heads down and wait to be extracted from FOB Turner?
OOC:   That luck roll was for the airstrike, but you had to roll a critical success to destroy the right village.  

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we're going to deal with Khali Gati," says Craig, "we'd have to go in on the ground with overwhelming force. We should see whether DG wants it done or is fine with just our finding Ellis."
OOC,That 17 would have done it if it had been the highest POW instead of the lowest. And we wonder why so many Afghanis hate us...

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:04 am
by Victoria Silverwolf
"Damn," Tyner says. "More innocents killed. I don't think we can chance another air strike. If ground troops are coming back here, they'll need plenty of preparation to deal with this. We need to report back to HQ."

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:50 am
by Cotton
So you guys make a call to your handlers and tell them that you believe sending in ground troops would be the best option. They respond by informing you that the Program doesn't have any resources left in the area, and that there the village itself was not as high a priority as the information Ellis so that will have wait until a later date. Your official orders are to stand down until you are extracted from FOB Turner, do you follow these orders or do something else?
OOC:   Also please make a San Check for the destruction of the wrong village. This is a helplessness check.  

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:05 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
san = 29[dice]0[/dice]

san loss = 1d6, I think?[dice]1[/dice]
Tyner is extremely upset by the unnecessary loss of life. He can't help thinking that it's all his fault. By the time he answers HQ and agrees to follow their recommendations he's openly weeping. He's failed to live up to the Hippocratic Oath.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Craig is also wracked with guilt, mentally beating himself up for his failure. He follows the orders and stands down, especially since he's afraid anything he does now will make things worse.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 70) for getting the wrong village bombed: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 am
by Cotton
You both spend the rest of your time at FOB Turner in quiet sadness, desperately waiting to be extracted. You eventually leave the base. Maybe you are sent home. Maybe you are sent on another mission for Delta Green. Either way you spend the rest of your life, however long that might be, trying to forget each other and Khali Ghati.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
Thanks for hosting this!

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 am
by Cotton
No problem :D