IC - Prologue - New York, June 1924

The friends of Jackson Elias meet for a coffee before he begins a most fateful journey.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

IC - Prologue - New York, June 1924

Post by Raiko »

THE MASKS OF NYARLATHOTEP

And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods — the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
—H. P. Lovecraft, Nyarlathotep

Prologue - New York City, June 1924

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: IC - Prologue - New York, June 1924

Post by Raiko »

The Coffee Pot - Corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street, New York City
1:31pm Tuesday 23rd June, 1924

Stepping out of the yellow-cab onto the bustling sidewalk Jonah Kensington pays the driver then extends an arm to assist his wife as she follows him out of the cab.

He's a minute late, but he knows that it doesn't matter, he spotted Jackson leaving the Hotel Chelsea Lobby as the taxi drove past - his friend is rarely punctual and it will take him another minute or two before he reaches the Coffee Pot.

It's hard for him to feel enthusiasm for this meeting, there really is no need for Jackson to depart on another damn fool crusade, The Black Power was still selling well after all and the author's hands-on research never failed to worry Jonah. Still he knew all too well that there was little he would be able to do to dissuade Jackson from leaving, or even to shed much light on what this new book was about.

So as usual he'd put on a brave face, and wish his friend all the best, and then he'd just hope that Jackson would resurface in a few months, safe and with his research complete.

As the taxi pulled away Kensington holds open the door of the Coffee Pot for Elizabeth and spots the young Amy Lawrence arriving as well with the archaeologist Michael Anderson . Inside the cafe he can see another author friend William Jordan already seated at one of the corner tables with some other friends of Jackson's who he doesn't recognise.

Jonah and Elizabeth wait for Amy and Michael to enter the cafe before they sit at a table, by then Jackson is also arriving accompanied by another man who Kensington doesn't know, clearly a military-type judging by the way carries himself.

The Coffee Pot - 8th Avenue & West 23rd Street
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

James Marko sat at the corner table with an eclectic group of people, all waiting for Jackson. A wanna-be baseball player, a jazz man, and some other writer who travels around the world. The jazz man he had seen playing at a speakeasy or two - really a talented guy, even if the music wasn't to James' tastes. As they waited James' casually asked how they each knew Jackson, himself having helped do some research for Sons of Death years before.

James discreetly offered his flask to the others, after Irishing up his own coffee, before putting it away. He was enjoying his third cigarette when Jackson entered with what appeared to be the rest of the group. James stood up, wiped his hand on his jacket and offered it up, "Jackson! Good to see ya, it's been a dog's age!"
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Clark goodman, the Jazz man, the trumpat master and Jackson's old friend from the past (when they both grew up in orphanage) stood with a shy smile as the others grouped around. It's been three weeks since he saw Jackson when the later came to visit the pub where he performed. Clark straightened his jacket, smoothed down the sleeves and rearranged the pocket square for the third time while he waited for his turn to greet Jackson.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Jordan had already had a few cream coffees and a few decent hours spent writing in his notepad before the first of the others appeared. He had put it away and made pleasant conversation about the local boxing scene, how he'd seen the challenger fight in Chicago against a big Polish guy and floor him on ambition alone. Commenting on how young boxers only had a few of those fights in them, just for the glory and thrill of it and how it faded away to become a job. They didn't usually last long after that.

He was more than happy about accepting the whiskey in his coffee and returned a cigarette for it, telling Marko about how he'd met Elias in a bar in Paris, where one had ended up in a brawl and the other had assisted him in fighting off three drunk Malay sailors on leave.

Jordan doesn't really notice Elias coming in as he is too busy talking to Elizabeth.
Last edited by DrPeterson on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy Lawrence has arrived early, though nowhere near as early as Jordan, nursing a cup of coffee as she waits with eager anticipation for Jackson Elias to arrive. She is wearing a lightweight red sleeveless summer dress that she bought especially for the occasion. It's a bit more daring than what she usually wears, but she really wants to look her best and make a strong impression on Jackson. It's been over a week since the last time she's seen him, which was hard enough for her to endure. Not seeing him again for several months would be absolutely unbearable, and she can't imagine being apart from him for so long. Fortunately, she has a plan that she is sure will convince him to take her along with him on his expedition. She just needs to get him alone to make her sales pitch, and she is certain he will be unable to refuse her.

As soon as Jackson walks in the door, Amy springs to her feet and rushes up to him. "It's so good to see you again, Jackson!" she gushes, a wide smile lighting up her face, the cosmetics she applied this morning enhancing her natural beauty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Stepping through the Coffee Pot’s door a second after Jackson is a tall, lean man of middle years, wearing a dapper cream suit and waistcoat with matching fedora. The man is evidently halfway through some drawling joke, an easy smile on his lips. Something about the way he stands and walks shouts military, and he has a tan that only comes from years in the sun.

Spying the gathering, the man languidly raises his hat. “Archie Tremayne, I’m a chum of the old boy’s,” gesturing to Jackson, “From India.” Tremayne speaks with a drawling, cultured English accent.

Finding a free chair, Tremayne drops his hat on the table and stretches out, radiating ease in social situations.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Michael is feeling a bit annoyed. He should be looking for a sponsor to finance an expedition in Egypt. Because Michael had enough of digging indian sites. On the other hand, speaking with Jackson is always interesting. It's like reading a book of adventures for kids.

-Hi Jackson, how have you been?
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Job »

Dayton had finished his morning exercises and was famished, so it was an easy decision to join this group at the Coffee Pot diner to learn more about Jackson Elias' plans.

"Life is full of adventure and Jackson sure takes advantage of that!" laughed Dayton, as he wolfed down his third plate of eggs, bacon, and toast amidst his friends and acquaintances. Dayton was in his element; he loved to be around people, to hear of their tales and backgrounds and, most of all, he loved to eat.

He stood, smiled and waved as he saw Jackson enter the restaurant.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

1:32pm Tuesday 23rd June, 1924

Jackson looks delighted to see all of his friends, returning Dayton’s wave as Amy dashes up to him. He smiles fondly at the young lady and gives her a quick fatherly peck on the check, “That’s a lovely dress Amy, you look very pretty. You’ll be turning all the young men’s heads today.”

He steps quickly past Amy and greets Jonah and Elizabeth warmly, before introducing Tremayne to them, “Jonah this is Archie Tremayne, a great friend from India. He’s in the city looking for a publisher and I said that I knew just the man.”

He then attempts to shake hands with or clap the backs of each of the others, returning their greetings and taking the best seat that he can, next to Amy’s. When his coffee arrives he presents his cup knowingly to his pal James, while simultaneously trying to ask about the Yankee’s and Giants chances of meeting in a fourth consecutive World Series, the Boston Jazz scene (and the Harlem one) and also asks Michael if he’s having any luck with his plans, “You just need to try and get the finances to get across to London, those Brits are mad on Egypt.”

Kensington shakes hands with Tremayne and introduces him properly to his wife Elizabeth and to Jordan, then says, “Have a seat Archie, Jackson has told me a lot about you. He said he’d have never made it alive out of India without your help.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy beams and thanks Jackson when he compliments her. She feels an electric tingle when he kisses her cheek, the contact thrilling her, though she longs for more. Just being in his presence makes her feel more alive, however.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Tremayne," says Amy with a smile. "We all owe you a debt of gratitude. The world would be a much worse place without Jackson Elias in it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

James smiled and poured a generous swig into Jackson's coffee to give it a kick before replacing the flask into his jacket pocket. He raised his own glass in a slight cheers to the man and took a drink. When Kensington mentioned Archie helping Jackson in India, James spoke up; "Did he give you credit in the book? I helped blow the Sons of Death cases wide open, but I don't see residuals on my investigative work!" James acted indignant for a moment before laughing and clapping Jackson on the back. While he hadn't gotten a lot of money from his work with Jackson; the man did send a lot of work his way which paid in dividends, after all reputation is important in PI work.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Clark shakes hands to everyone else around with a shy smile and inspected them closely. Amy was indeed beautiful and the others looked quite friendly but he wasn't much of a talker as he prefered to use his mouth with a trumpet and a drink than engaging in a conversation. He raised his glass high with a smile to Jackson and kept low profile around the table as he is the only black man around, he already had spying eyes on him from the surrounding when he entered the restaurant by himself earlier.
Last edited by royya on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

"You are probably rigth, I'm wasting my time here. But tell me what your doing and you plans."- says Michael
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

1:35pm, Tuesday 23rd June, 1924

Kensington chuckles at James’ joke, “You know all too well that if Jackson credited everyone who saved his life, he’d have scarcely enough words left to detail the activities of these cults.”

He winks at Elias, “Sometimes I fear that you’re too brave for your own good Jackson, perhaps you could take up writing children’s books instead?”

Jackson laughs and says to Michael, “You know that I won’t talk about my next project until the book’s ready to publish, but I can say that I’ll be leaving New York tonight, bound for Mombasa.”

The author sits back and takes a long sip from his Irish coffee, “I’ve uncovered some information that might lead to my biggest story yet, but it all seems unbelievable. So I’ll need to get out to Africa first to check out the facts for myself.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"But surely you can't mean to go to Africa all by yourself, Jackson," says Amy, hoping desperately for an opening. "You could use some help, especially given how important this is."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Jackson, if you need my help I will be most happy to set aside the bars for some time and a good opportunity to visit my ancestors homeland. It's been many years since we adventured together.
Clark says with a smile
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"Mombasa!", Jordan exclaims. "Are you telling us you're going hunting and you didn't even bother to invite me?", he booms in.

"Last time I was in Kenya, I almost shot a wonderful rhino. A great beast with keen intelligent eyes, but the shot must have ricocheted. The beast charged us, but thanks to our Jeep we got away."

Jordan laughs.

"I left it with a nice scar though."
Last edited by DrPeterson on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"And you could use a good research assistant!" chimes in Amy, not wanting to miss her chance. "I was accepted to Columbia for postgraduate work as my father's research assistant, but I don't start right away. I can go with you first and get some real world experience, then start at Columbia next year! You could use someone to help you dig up information in musty old libraries, and having a pretty young lady by your side who's good at talking to people can help smooth the way for you. Plus I make a great cup of coffee!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

After the introductions, Archie starts explaining to Kensington his hope to find an American publisher for his own mountaineering efforts in Asia, when he hears Elias.

"British East Africa! I hear Mt Kenya is a most interesting climb."

"Let me know if an open letter of introduction would be any use."

Return to “Prologue - New York, June 1924”