OOC - Chapter 1

The Big Apple - a booming city in the grip of a bitter winter and the excitement of an upcoming eclipse.
A close friend returns home a changed man; the fate of the world is now in his hands, but it may already be too late.

Moderator: Raiko

HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: OOC - Chapter 1

Post by HelplessBystander »

Raiko wrote:@HelplessBystander

Would you like to stand in for an absent player until a decent time to swap investigators?

You could take over DL from Job for now, as he's the least likely to resume posting, but you could stand in for anyone who's missing for now. So if Job returns and Cearlan doesn't then you could run Irene for example. Not quite an assistant Keeper, but that would be very helpful for keeping things moving. :)

It's not a massive spoiler now to reveal that Jackson Elias will have a funeral in a few days, which would be a good time to swap an absent player's investigator for a new one of your own. There will be other opportunities both before and after that event.
Sure. No worries.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

Sorry for the minor delay, my busy weekend started earlier than I expected (but not earlier than my wife expected lol), so I was too sleepy late on Friday evening to write a post, and then away from the internet all weekend.

I'll have the post done today and should be okay to post every day this week. I'm expecting next weekend to be another busy one, but hopefully not quite as tiring as this week - so I should be okay to post in the evenings even at weekend.
HelplessBystander wrote:
Sure. No worries.
That's great. :)

If you read through everything IC so far in this chapter and the prologue, plus the character sheets in "The Investigators" thread then you can start posting as either DL or Irene (your choice). Irene has done nothing in game yet, other than stepping out of her hotel room - and I fairly sure that Cearlan isn't interested in returning, so you could replace Irene with a female character of your own if you liked. You could even change her name at this stage (and I'll edit the few prior posts that reference Irene). The only limitation is that she should be younger than Gerald, whom she is in a relationship with - or at the least a travelling companion of. So basically any young or middle aged female character would be fine.

DL would need to remain exactly as he is, since he's played a more active role so far. I'm hoping that Job does return, as I know he's been trying to play Masks with his DL character for a very long time.

I'm also hoping CrackheadC will be back, he was last online just an hour or two before I PMed him, but feel free to take over James for now if you prefer.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

A quick roll off hidden meaning:
[dice=string]0[/dice]

A climb roll for James (40% skill):
[dice]1[/dice]
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

I assure you that I'm completely up to date. I've been reading along for a while now. ;)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

My last IC post is now updated to include the three clue handouts. Placed inside a spoiler tag, as the images are large.
HelplessBystander wrote:I assure you that I'm completely up to date. I've been reading along for a while now. ;)
Excellent! Welcome to the game. :mrgreen:
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Haha, no worries. I've already made a post.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

This is probably going to sound annoying but...
his eyes are those of a man driven mad by drugs or insanity.
Really? That's not exactly very specific and is, dare I say it, a bit redundant. It's like saying a man who drowned in water. That prompted another thought: can you be driven mad by insanity?

Sorry, couldn't help but point that out. Feel free to ignore me. Just something that I thought I should point out.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

His eyes are driven mad by drugs or pedantry?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

I know I’m being pedantic. It’s just one of those bad habits. Terribly sorry ‘bout that.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

HelplessBystander wrote:I know I’m being pedantic. It’s just one of those bad habits. Terribly sorry ‘bout that.
I wasnt happy with the post myself, to clarify the dodgy word was mad, because I meant rage rather than insanity, which is obviously confusing in this case. I've edited the post to the following:
his eyes are filled with the berserk fury of a drug fiend or a madman.
You can be as pedantic as you like, but bear in mind that I make no claims about the quality of my English, but I do my best to be descriptive, and I will only alter prior posts if they cause confusion. In this case the man is berserk.

If you're routinely pedantic, then I will of course expect your IC posts to be works of literary genius. ;)
(That's a genuine joke, no offense intended).

Incidentally given the importance of these three assassins to the story, they get the longest descriptions of any throw away npcs in the entire campaign. In this case (edited to not really be much of a spoiler don't worry):
Spoiler:
number two is a white cocaine fiend
And that's considerably longer than the description of his black companion. Lol.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Oh yeah, don't worry. I promise to keep to myself on 99% of everything. It's just that the post had some confusing bits that I couldn't help but point out. ;)

Anyways, don't worry, it's going to be glorious. I can already see the glorious journey (the fact that I have a world map taped to the wall helped), so I'm sure I won't be an absolute pedantic nitpicker the whole way through.

It's just one of those habits of suffering through exams as a student seeping through every once in a while. My teachers often drum into me the importance of clarity in writing. They did their jobs slightly too well...
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Andy, the order is:
  1. Archie Tremayne
  2. The assassin
  3. Michael Anderson
So you're up. :)

By the way, any time you're in a combat situation and unsure when it's your turn (or waiting for another player to go first) just post an action / dice roll in this OOC thread if you like, and I'll add it to my next post.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Cool bananas, will do.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Kabukiman, please make a fast talk roll for Anderson.

If you succeed the assassin is distracted, loses his next attack in his confusion and might well go for you next - in this case Tremayne can get in two more attacks before the assassin can act again (and Anderson can do something else as well while the assassin is confused)

If you fail, the assassin will continue to hack at Tremayne after his next action.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Guys, too much work and too little time for me to play. Sorry.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Fast talk roll for Anderson's earlier attempt to distract the assassin.

Fast Talk (60%)
[dice]0[/dice]

A success, so the assassin loses his next attack due to the distraction.

This gives Tremayne two melee attacks and Anderson one melee attack before the assassin can get in another swing if his machete - which will be against Anderson if he's in reach.
Dave wrote:Guys, too much work and too little time for me to play. Sorry.
No worries Dave, we'll just assume that Gerald does what Irene tells him to - that's how things normally go isn't it? ;)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Haha, alright. :D
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

I'll put Tremayne's third attack here, in the event machete man is still fighting on...

70% Punch and Tremayne rolls...
[dice]0[/dice]

Swing and a miss!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I could be wrong, with Christmas just around the corner, but hopefully that's the last of my mega-busy weekends for a while, so I should be able to post daily even at weekend.

I'm planning to send a last email nudge to Job and CrackheadC, and then I'll post something in the recruitment thread. I suck at NPCing missing players' characters.

@HelplessBystander if you'd rather run James or DL than Irene, then let me know, you have first dibs on available characters.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

No worries. I'm fine with Irene for now. Maybe you could relocate James and DL further from the campaign for an in-universe explanation on why they aren't helping and THEN post for anyone to take over.

Return to “Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925”