OOC - Chapter 1

The Big Apple - a booming city in the grip of a bitter winter and the excitement of an upcoming eclipse.
A close friend returns home a changed man; the fate of the world is now in his hands, but it may already be too late.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: OOC - Chapter 1

Post by Raiko »

I've read The Expanse books - I'm currently reading the new one (no spoilers below as long as you've seen season 2 - and only very minor references even if you haven't).

I watched season one before reading any of them, and intended to only read book one until I'd seen season 2 of the TV show, but the books are really good so I just kept on reading!

I'm not sure about them harming my enjoyment of the TV series, I still enjoyed season 2 and I'm looking forward to season 3. I guess it depends on whether you're the type of person who's annoyed by the necessary plot changes when good books are translated to screen. I'd say that the adaptation of The Expanse is about on par with Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, there are definite changes, but everyone gets to where they're supposed to be at the end of each story arc and all the major events from the book occur in the show. So if you've read Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire and enjoyed their screen adaptions, you'll probably be fine.

Some characters are introduced early in the TV series in order to let the viewer witness events that occur away from the protagonists in the books. Eg Avasarala doesn't appear at all until the second book, and Bobby's first appearance is on Ganymede.

There's a lot happens in the books though, and the TV show leaves off 2/3 of the way through each book (so the end of book one is at the start of season 2, and season 2 hasn't finished the story of book 2). Since so much has happened in the six books that I've read, my memory of exactly what happened when is cloudy, which helps me not get too distracted by changes.

It's worth mentioning that it's planned that there will be ten books, which would probably require eleven seasons of the show. So unfortunately it's more than likely that everyone will need to read the books eventually - I'd love the show to run for ten or eleven seasons, but it's not likely to happen.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Royya hasn't posted for a while. Assuming that he doesn't post something before you all spilt up, then we'll say that Clark travels with Anderson to Boston. Clark's from Boston, although I assume that a black face would be an unusual sight at Harvard in 1925.  
So I looked into my little assumption and was pleased to see that it was not nearly as unusual as I'd thought. :)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

I watched both seasons of The Expanse and enjoyed it a lot. It's very well-made and is obviously done by someone who has a lot of affection for the source material. I'd never heard of it before, so I can't comment on the books.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

DrPeterson wrote:It's made by Wizzkids though, and in my book that's a bad thing.
Wizkids does publish my two favorite board games, Mage Knight and Star Trek Frontiers, but I haven't played their other stuff. I've heard that the board game of The Expanse doesn't really focus on the characters and is more about moving ships around and doing stuff with them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

1920s New York is where nightlife was born, according to National Geo anyway.

Chelsea is a theatre district at this time, and the coffee shops, diners and restaurants stay open late - some are also speakeasies, but not this one.

We'll say your favourite Coffee Pot is open 7am to 11pm every day, and they won't rush you out even then.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

I see. Then the assumption of a nightly meeting works, then.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Team, I'm holidaying this week in a tiny beach town, I do have phone internet but may not be as prolific in my posting. - Andy
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'll try to get some new posts up today, now that you've split up.

Life's a little hectic this week with pre-Christmas activities for the kids, finishing off work stuff, etc - so it might take an extra day depending how much spare time I get.

I will however be able to keep posting throughout the Christmas holiday period.
andyw666 wrote:Team, I'm holidaying this week in a tiny beach town, I do have phone internet but may not be as prolific in my posting. - Andy
Have a great time. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Merry Christmas everyone, sorry for going quiet for a few days, I'm not doing another disappearing act, was just really unexpectedly busy last week still.

I'm off work until new year, and still expect to be able to post regularly during the holiday period. I've got a big family, so the next 24 hours are going to be really busy, but I'll get those posts posted just as soon as the kids give me a minute's break. ;)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

All good. Merry Christmas!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Just a quick update, proper posts should follow later today with a bit of luck.

Mallet (Roger) is a new player on these forums and he's asked if he can take over DL.

I'd already decided that I'd look for another player for DL, so Mallet will be joining in when he's caught up with the story. Hello Roger / Mallet! :)

I think that realistically there's always going to be at least one or two players who can't post, so nine investigators doesn't seem a bad idea.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Happy holidays, lads!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Mallet »

Hello everyone, and I hope that you had a Merry Christmas !

I will be reading today to catch up on the story.

Also, I am relatively new to Play by Posts in general, so please accept my apologies in advance in the case of very basic questions, or any involuntary Faux Pas.

Amitiés,

Roger « Mallet ».
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Welcome!
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

OK, so I have read all the IC and OOC posts once.

I seem to have them same problems with all the Clues as others have mentioned: part of the right side of the images is missing.

Concerning the other people who were murdered: Should DL make a knowledge roll also to find out if he had heard anything about any of these people ?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Welcome aboard, Mallet!
Bienvenue!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

Merci beaucoup !

I have a question: what is the best procedure for dice rolls ? I noticed this was discussed earlier but I am still fuzzy on the precise details.

I became used to the system on Board Game Geek (Play By Forum section) very rapidly, as it works in a very straightforward way.

As I am relatively new to RPGs on the Internet (only a few weeks !), I will need some guidance.

Amitiés,

Roger (Mallet).
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Basically, type 1d100 into [dice][/dice], then the forum told the dice and publiscise the results. Place XdY formula there.

[dice=[/dice] is for XdY+? So, these functions should work. Have fun! :)
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mallet »

OK, so here is a test for dice rolls.
[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice][dice]3[/dice][dice]4[/dice][dice]5[/dice]+20[dice]6[/dice][dice]7[/dice][dice]8[/dice]
Last edited by Mallet on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Don't do any more than 20 in a row and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Return to “Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925”