OOC - Chapter 1

The Big Apple - a booming city in the grip of a bitter winter and the excitement of an upcoming eclipse.
A close friend returns home a changed man; the fate of the world is now in his hands, but it may already be too late.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

OOC - Chapter 1

Post by Raiko »

Finally Raiko begins chapter one.

First in-character post is due shortly. I should be able to post regularly for the foreseeable future.

Since your meeting with Jackson in June you each go about your lives as normal. It's up to you whether you wish to be in contact with each other during the intervening six months.

Archie Tremayne's trip to Oregon with Walter Ford is uneventful other than a single close encounter with a bear, no wildmen to be seen in the Cascades. Kensington paid quite well though for Archie's time, and it gave him the opportunity to do more work on his own memoirs.

Archie arrives back in New York early in January and can be either in a hotel, or staying with one of the investigators. The Hotel Chelsea is rather expensive, and Jackson doesn't have a permanent residence there (although he does have a favourite room), so Archie needs to be staying somewhere else.

If he's staying in a hotel, then it's best if he's been in contact with one or two of the others since returning. Alternatively he could have just been in touch with Jonah Kensington at Prospero House publishing.

Don't stay with Job's character, as I've not heard from him yet.

None of you have had any contact with Jackson since he walked away from the Coffee Pot, except for Amy. As Jackson promised he kept in touch with Amy, although not as much as she'd have liked! She receives three letters from him, the last one in mid November hinting that he might be back by Christmas.

Presumably Amy shares this information with any of the other investigators who stayed in regular contact with her.

Jackson's Travels
  • 25th June 1924 - Departs New York, bound for Africa
  • 28th June 1924 - Writes to Amy from Mombasa, Kenya, to say that he arrived safe and sound. (Letter arrives 25th July)
  • 10th August 1924 - Writes again from Kenya, Nairobi this time, hopes that all is well, tells her he's onto the story of a lifetime. He'll be leaving Kenya within the week, bound for Hong Kong. (Letter arrives 23rd September)
  • 20th September 1924 - Writes from Hong Kong, China. Tells Amy that this might be the last letter for a while. This story is bigger than he ever imagined and he'll be going undercover to follow up leads. Hopefully he'll be back in New York for Christmas, but don't worry if he's a few weeks late. He's looking forward to seeing her again. (Letter arrives 17th November).

All of this is perfectly normal for Jackson. Our intrepid investigator often vanishes for months at a time while researching his books.

Jackson's publisher Jonah has also received correspondence from Jackson while he's been away, but hasn't shared any details with anyone, other than to say that he's sure Jackson will reappear when he's ready to - just like always, "That man has the luck of a leprichorn and more lives than a cat!"

Christmas comes and goes with no sign of Jackson.

@Dave: I'll introduce your character early in the chapter.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: OOC - Chapter 1

Post by Raiko »

DICE ROLLS

If possible please could you try to use the dice roller on Carnage Lee's dholeshouse.org site for all dice rolls during the campaign.

Here's a link to the roller: http://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceRoller

I think that you'll need to create an account on the site to use the dice roller.

Please use "Raiko's Masks" as the campaign / game name.

There are several good dice rollers available on the internet (and the built-in roller on this forum), but CoC is a pain because dice rolls are also the XP system, so I'd rather have everything in one place so i can look things up easily "skill check" time. I don't want anyone to miss out!

There's a way to incorporate Dholes House rolls directly into the forum, but I need to practice myself. The roller does have a problem that it looks like it's impossible to find the unique id of a die roll once you've left the result page, but I'll mention that to Lee and maybe he'll be able to add it to the archive page. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Right then, the IC thread is up. Any posting bias towards Amy by me is finished now that she has received Jackson's telegram.

You may get together however you wish, so long as you all make it to the Coffee Pot by the required time. :)

We can skip quickly to then, or you can take your time doing other things with what time you have. The streets are partially cleared of snow, but remain treacherous, particularly for cars. Public transport is a better option, especially trolley cars, the subway and the elevated subways. (I think I've got that terminology correct, as a Brit I'd call a trolley car a tram).

-- EDIT --

One more thing, feel free to discuss what your characters are up to in this OOC thread before posting IC if you like. As I say, we can move as quickly or as slowly onto the Coffee Pot as you like, but I do want you all to be happy again with playing your characters before you meet back up with Jackson.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'm just gonna play it as though James has had very little luck with work lately. Also, I noticed that I didn't mark anything out for an inventory, even something basic like a gun or car (things that my skills would suggest I have), so I'll drop something into that later.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Jordan will have just finished a small tour to celebrate the launch of his collection of short stories titled "No women without men".
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy has been keeping busy pursuing her studies, as well as working as a research assistant for her father. She has successfully completed her first semester.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Feel free to make a few IC posts over the next couple of days while we wait for Andy (and maybe Job) to post.

I'll need an IC post plus a library use roll for Amy if she's checking up on the Carlyle Expedition.

It's up to the rest of you whether you want to post again, meet up before tomorrow or whatever.

I'm going to ping an email to the others and also let Dave know how / when he's joining.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

For some reason, I'm not able to log into the Dhole's House to make my roll. It keeps telling me I'm not authenticated. I've tried my password and close variants to it several times. I eventually found the link for a forgotten password when I tried to reregister, but the email with the unlock key never arrived.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Mr.Handy, the Beta is working. For me at least.

http://beta.dholeshouse.org/Default
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Yes, you've reminded me that I think I had exactly the same problem, and needed to ask Carnage Lee to reset my password.

The non-beta version is working for me now, and I don't think that newly registered users would have the same problem, I think that it's just the likes of you and me who had Dholes House accounts before the site was updated.

I'll get in touch with Lee about Dholes House, in the meantime just use whichever dice roller you'd use for your own games. Hopefully I'll get everything sorted before we need lots of rolls.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I used to use Invisible Castle, but it's been dead for some time. Since then, and also before during times when IC was temporarily out of order, I've used this site's dice roller. I tried it here, but it hasn't been activated for this board.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

I am using this one:
http://orokos.com/roll/
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Dice rolls enabled and Dholes House problems ought to gave been sorted too.

[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! I made my roll and edited my IC post to include the results.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Marko has nothing to add until the next scene, so I'll post again after the library bit / everyone who's back posts / and we move to the coffee pot.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'll post the information that Amy learns later today, and will move onto the meetup at the Coffee Pot on Friday.

Once we start at the Coffee Pot, those who haven't posted in Chapter One yet will need to join a little later with Dave if they're joining the game.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Oh, I'm in!? I thought I was redundant as all the players were on. Good times!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Hi Team, sorry, busy busy busy. Promise to get posting tomorrow. - Andy
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

You arrive at the Coffee Pot in whichever order you post here. James arrived at the location first, he parks outside a couple of hours before the meeting time, but doesn't necessarily need to be the first to enter.

The scene inside is how it will be whoever enters first, it's not written specifically for James.

Sunset is a few minutes before 5pm, and the skies are clear, so dusk will linger for a while, although it'll get cold quickly. It's completely dark other than the streetlights long before the planned meeting at 7pm.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

If you could all try to make at least one or two posts and all be inside the Coffee Pot today, I'll make a new post around this time tomorrow. :)

For those who have made at least one chapter one post already, if you don't manage a Coffee Pot post in the next 24 hours I'll include your character arriving there in my post.

@Job, your character's place remains open until the end of chapter one, but if you don't manage to join us before my next post, then you'll need to sit out until a little later in the chapter.

Return to “Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925”