OOC - Chapter 1

The Big Apple - a booming city in the grip of a bitter winter and the excitement of an upcoming eclipse.
A close friend returns home a changed man; the fate of the world is now in his hands, but it may already be too late.

Moderator: Raiko

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: OOC - Chapter 1

Post by DrPeterson »

I don't have a DA-account either, I think.
Why aren't we using the forum roller? Isn't that a lot easier?
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Me too,
I registered a while ago and didn't recieve any confirmatio email so my account is disabled I guess.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

It's the Betadholeshouse that works properly, right Lee?
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Job »

I tried to register on Dholeshouse.org , but then recieved an error: "An error occurred. AspEmail.net 5.4.0.4130 has generated error #3. [ AspEmail.net has expired. Please visit AspEMail.com to purchase a key that will not expire ]"

I then tried to register on beta.Dholehouse.org, and it tells me that my email address is already in use by another member. :/

J.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

True, it seems there's some kind of problem with both versions of the site. I could activate the on-site roller for the forum instead so we have something to work with.
Cheers!
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Might be activated already..
[dice]0[/dice]
TVblog

royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Post by royya »

Can you remind how to use the on-site roller please.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

I'll get the next post up tonight. :)

I'd prefer to use the Dholes House dice roller because:
a) It provides a full list of every dice roll made by a player, which is handy for looking back at when we make use of CoC's stupidly random experience system at the end of the chapter. It also allows me to make "secret" rolls that are maintained in a list, but not visible in the forum.
b) My experience of the in-forum dice roller elsewhere (giants in the playground forums) is that sometimes posts get messed up. At least with the DH site the original roll is still there, regardless of any problems with the post.

However since there's still problems with the DH mail client I'll accept rolls any way you like. In the meantime I'll ask Lee to have another look at the DH accounts to validate everyone.

In the past I've played forum games of Shadowrun, before even invisible castle existed, and we just used trust (players and GM rolled real dice and posted the results), this worked fine and Shadowrun needs many more rolls (and dice!) than Call of Cthulhu. So I genuinely couldn't care less which dice roller we use (roll a d100 at home if you like), but the XP system is still a pain. I'm not trawling back through the forum to find all the dice rolls at the end of the chapter, so if you don't want to use the DH roller, then you'll need to make sure that I tell you whether to tick the skill check box when you make the roll. And you'll be responsible for maintaining your character sheet.

Obviously that's no different to a tabletop game, but it's harder to remember that you didn't tick after a library use roll from six months ago than it is from last weekend. Many forum games are one-shots so they aren't affected by CoC's eccentric XP system.

By the way, for anyone who's going to struggle with remembering how to post various kinds of online dice roll or who prefers real dice, I'm 100% genuine that I'm happy to use trust and real rolls.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

royya wrote:Can you remind how to use the on-site roller please.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3698#wrap

Had to remind myself a couple of days ago ;-)
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

How we doing?
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Not sure, Raiko has been online as recently as today, but no posts. Might be busy or stuck on something. I'm still checking so hopefully he'll give us an update soon.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Yeah sorry (I'm sick of myself for keeping posting that).

I've been really struggling for time, but I'm hopeful of resuming in the next day or two.

I still really want to run this game, I'll try to be a bit more regular with my updates if I'm ever unable to post again. :oops:
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

By the way, I'm perfectly happy to use the forum built-in dice roller. I'll need to post from my phone to get the game back up to speed, and Dholes House would just make that even harder for me (rubbish phone signal at work)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Feel better. We've all been there, life is time consuming so hopefully you'll get some more free time soon. If you are going to throw an update up for the current combat, I wouldn't mind if you rolled for my damage, I'm not sure if it counts as an impale or not based on point-blank range, so Keeper's choice there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm still here and ready to go whenever you are.

I never got answers to my questions earlier, as I was waiting on them before I posted my action for the round.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Hi all - Sorry I've not been following this topic very closely.

Sorry that you've had hiccups with the Dholes House; I'd forgotten to update the licence for the mail component, which is why you were all having issues.

I've resolved that issue and emails are now being sent. There's another problem that's appeared today, the SSL cert appears to be mus-configured (very annoying, as it was working fine) a ticket has been raised.

I've manually activated the following accounts:

DrPeterson
Cearlan
royya
CrackheadC
Job

Dave - I didn't confirm the 2 accounts you tried to register as you already have one.

The beta site is not available right now - I need to get an SSL cert for that hostname - I'm hoping this week to have this available - this will include all the new features (the biggest being Call of Cthulhu 7th ed character generator and management system (with 'fillable' PDF character sheet). I'm hoping for a full release early into September.

Oh - if you do use the dice roller.... you'll need to use these tags to get it displayed here :

Code: Select all

[dhdr]{Dice UID}[/dhdr]
Where {Dice UID} is the GUID of the dice roll generated: i.e. 99ad6a84-65d9-45f1-b772-7d3e02a8525e
example:
[dhdr]99ad6a84-65d9-45f1-b772-7d3e02a8525e[/dhdr]

Tags can be nested:
Test: Sending Email Roll,[dhdr]99ad6a84-65d9-45f1-b772-7d3e02a8525e[/dhdr]
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Thanks, Lee.
TVblog

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Thanks Lee. :)

I should be considerably less busy for the next couple of weeks. So I should be able to start posting again.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Hi guys,

I thought I'd drop you a line to let you know that I've uploaded the very latest version of The Dholes House (this version doesn't run under ssl, which the main site will). Your regular logins will work on the beta site.

What's new?
  • 2 methods to create 7th edition CoC Investigators
  • Add/Upload character portrait
  • Ability to update skills, hit pts, magic pts, sanity, luck - to keep track of 'in play' changes
  • early version 'Character Library' - share 6th and 7th ed. Characters
  • Ability to obtain the Dice Roll UID from the dice roll archive
I'm hoping to be able to make all this live in a couple of weeks.

Return to “Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925”