Restaurant

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Restaurant

Post by Laraqua »

"From what others have told me, they always found the station empty or nearly so and the weather is often cold and foggy," said the man, looking thoughtful. "I - I'm sorry. I never realised how foggy my own memories are. Or … have I realised this before? Have I…?" He rubs at his temples.

The lights in the train car flicker ominously.

His head snaps up. "This place will not be safe much longer."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Kate. "Where can we go that is?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He sighs in frustration. "It's not that simple. There's no pattern to it that I can make out but I do know that the more people who pack into a safe area, the less time it remains safe. Normally I can spend hours in such a place, even manage to sleep, but now with all of you here the restaurant car is about to become problematic. Look, we should hurry elsewhere. Places that were safe become distinctly unsafe moments later."

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Okay," says Kate. "Let's head to the waiting room, then. If that's not safe, we can get anywhere else in the building from there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Good plan, and we can see the lights in the train car if another one of these carriages becomes safe," he said.

The other nodded their agreement.

There's no door from the restaurant car but there is one in the little section that connects the two train cars together. The door opens easily onto the platform.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate heads out onto the platform.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There are nine tables covered in white with gleaming dishes all laid out as though in preparation for a banquet. In the middle of each table sits a vase of flowers, each a different colour, and each looks quite magnificent but for the one in the middle which is dry and brittle, casting dropped petals to the doily underneath and staining it yellow. There are white stargazer lilies, white chrysanthemums, gladioli and white roses. There are menus sitting out on every table, showing the usual sort of station fare and a reasonable selection of cocktails that are perhaps a little to posh for a location like this.

There's a bar to one side, with a cash register upon it beside a telephone, and behind that bar stands a door which presumably leads into the kitchens. A dented piano stands to one side, as well as another fireplace, and a wireless set has pride of place beside it. There's only a tiny scrap of a dance floor but it appears well-scuffed and well-used.

**There's a small stack of books here now on one of the tables ranging in topics from horticulture to backyard gardens to flow arranging.**
Mechanical Repair to fix the piano tune,notices that there are letters pressed between the workings beneath the lid.
Forensics,identifies that the piano hasn't been moved which suggests that the piano wasn't bumped, rather some weight pressed down upon it at two points that are suspiciously the right size and shape for human hands. The front door was burst open from the inside after several heavy smacks by a large blunt object, likely a human-shaped (or placed) shoulder.
Art History,finds that the flowers here are all sympathy and funerary flowers. A white stargazer lily symbolizes sympathy and any type of white lily expresses majesty and purity. White carnations stand for pure love and innocence. Particularly in some European countries, Korea, and Japan, the white chrysanthemum is symbolic of death, lamentation, and grief. A fan spray of gladioli is a classic and elegant arrangement for traditional funeral services. The gladiolus embodies strength of character, sincerity, and moral integrity. A white rose evokes reverence, humility, innocence, and youthfulness.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Those books weren't here before," says Kate, examining the stack. "I wonder if the beast book is among them, but most of them seem to be about plants."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Things change over time," he said. "Most of what comes holds strange hints as to what is truly happening ... but it'd take one hell of a mind to decipher them."

NB: You could likely use these books to better understand the flowers currently in this room - allowing you access to Art History - but it'd require a bit of time.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I like to think I'm smart," says Kate. "Since things change, those books could be gone again if we leave and come back. Maybe we should take the time so I can look through the books and see if they can help me understand the meaning of the flowers on the tables."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"You're right that they may be useful later on," he said. "I recall one guest here who said he found something that had vases of flowers but he wasn't sure which was which. He was quite obsessed by it. Eventually he decided just to try it and see.... That was the last I ever saw of him." He heads behind the bar. "Let's see if they have anything to drink here...."
Studying the books,finds that the flowers here are all sympathy and funerary flowers. A white stargazer lily symbolizes sympathy and any type of white lily expresses majesty and purity. White carnations stand for pure love and innocence. Particularly in some European countries, Korea, and Japan, the white chrysanthemum is symbolic of death, lamentation, and grief. A fan spray of gladioli is a classic and elegant arrangement for traditional funeral services. The gladiolus embodies strength of character, sincerity, and moral integrity. A white rose evokes reverence, humility, innocence, and youthfulness.
He comes around the bar with a plate that has a jam sandwich on it. "It looks like someone's hidden lunch fell through. Did you want some?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers!" says Kate. "I don't think I've eaten since I arrived. It may not look like much, but living on the ration, I've come to appreciate even the simplest of meals. Oh, that's right, you arrived here before the rationing started. The flowers at the tables are all for funerals." She explains what she learned from the books.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He splits the sandwich in half and passes it to her before absolutely devouring the one he holds. Finally he says, "Should we take one of each? In case this vase situation is as the man suggested?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Kate, also eating her sandwich half gratefully and quickly. "Yes, let's take one of each type of flower. I think the white rose best represents me."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I don't know the meaning of the white rose, but I think it suits you too just by the looks of it," he said, and helped her select one from every type. "So ... the kitchen then?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Kate. "Let's proceed to the kitchen."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He opens the door to the Kitchen and gestures for her to enter.

Return to “The Railway Station”