Upstairs Reading Room

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Upstairs Reading Room

Post by Laraqua »

Three mis-matched upholstered chairs facing each other in a reasonably sized room with a small fireplace in the corner (one of those metal contraptions with the iron grille at the front) and bookcases along every wall. A wooden rack holds newspapers in the corner beneath the blacked out window. The light doesn't work in here either, but there's a warm orange glow from the fireplace. The room smells a little of smoke and there's no room for paintings because what isn't covered by books is covered by door or window + newspaper rack. There's a wastepaper bin in the corner, filled with crumpled up paper.

The reading room gives access to the following pools: Anthropology 1, Archaeology 1, Art History 1, Astronomy 1, History 1, Photography 1.

Places to go:
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Upstairs Reading Room

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie closes the door behind him as enters then checks the light. He grabs the wastepaper bin, upends it near the fireplace, then smooths out the crumpled paper and tries to read them by the light of the fireplace.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The collection of notes are all written in different handwriting styles, from small and dense, to long and elaborate. All of them seem to be fragments.

Dear Julia,
We will win this war. You can take heart in that. While I won't be so foolish as to say this war will be won by Christmas, I can confidently guess that it will be won by

Dear Mr. Jameson,
I know you are catching the train tomorrow. By God, I hope this trouble is all finished by then. I cannot imagine you managing to cope with all of this strangeness. The Station Master, in particular, is incredibly eccentric, even for an artist, and when I missed the last train I was nervous about sleeping here the night to catch the early train tomorrow

Dear Patrick,
The scent of rancid butter flows before her. If you ever read this, or if anyone does, be wary of the stink of rancid butter. It does something to your mind and I'm sure that

Dear Dr. Turner,
I am certain that these headaches and hallucinations must all be caused by some sort of biological condition, or a stroke, for it is the only thing that makes sense in this matter. I submit to you, and to anyone reading this, that perhaps the only thing that is true and real right now is the paper and the pen which I use to make my mark upon it. I hope, even now, that I am merely residing within an institution and that none of this is real for

Dear Mr. Halsey,
We made arrangements to examine the condition of the railway station and I must admit that the ground floor appears, in my architectural understanding, as though it were missing. I have taken the liberty of placing items of protection about a few of the rooms, and have kept aside a quantity of the special gold lately brought from Innsmouth in one of the rooms to determine its effects upon sleep cycles

Dear Mrs. Ricard,
I miss you, mother, and even if you never see me again all I wanted you to know is that I love you and that I am really rather sorry I may not be coming home in time to help you with bottling all that jam. I know your berry bushes are practically heaving with berries but I fear I will not survive what is coming

Dear Miss Penelope Hawkins,
I am of a mixed mind at present. If we were to have already married, then you would be a widow, but as it stands, I will never have the opportunity to make you my wife and so it is with great regret that I must face what is coming. I will do everything in my power to esca

The rest of the papers are cut pieces of a larger and more complicated, and utterly assymetrical.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie pockets the letter addressed to Mr. Halsey, restores the bin and the rest of its contents to its previous location, and leaves the room.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Frank it's a library in here, give me a minute." Artemis stepped into the room casting the flashlight across the various shelves.
Spoiler:
I will spend a History point associated with scanning the room while in it. [dice]0[/dice] As I am traveling today and may overnight elsewhere, I wated to post a dice role if it is needed for this scan...those are a bit harder to do on my phone.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

After a few minutes spent scanning the bookshelves, Artemis turned and headed back out of the room into the corridor trying to determine where that sound had came from.
[Spoiler-Button]Laraqua,I am going to assume that there was nothing to find in the books even if I spent a history point? If so, then we can move on, or the "out of the corner of his eye..."
[/Spoiler-Button]
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

It seems that these books are worth reading only when you have a topic in mind. Otherwise they just seem to be a reasonably comprehensive set of history books. On the plus side, if anyone has a gap in their historical knowledge they are sure to find the details here.
Reading Room,functions as a sort of floating pool of academic skill points you can only use while you're in here and don't represent any specific clue. Sorry for not answering earlier.

Return to “The Railway Station”