Page 1 of 1

Railway Station Waiting Room

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:11 am
by Laraqua
Upon opening the front door you must then push aside a black out curtain to enter a small and dark ante-chamber with wooden partitions either side that run up to the ceiling. You wait there a moment for the curtain to fall shut behind you, ensuring no light can escape, and then you brush aside the next curtain before entering the main waiting room. Around four people can squish in here at once but it's better form to wait until the person, or couple, ahead of you have entered before entering yourself.

Once you've passed through this little ante-chamber, you find yourself in a wide room with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The whole place feels quite warm and cheery due to the lovely big old fire burning on the other side of the building, flanked on either side by the ladies and the gentleman's restrooms. It's given an even toastier feeling because the whole room is bathed in a nice orange glow with very little competition - only one of the wall-mounted lamps is on and that's one of those nearest the door. There is a most peculiar odour of polish, cologne and saddlery, which might be caused by the pile of horse gear strung out over one of the benches which is most peculiar. A portrait of the British King holds pride of place above the fireplace.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.
Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge,These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.
Law Knowledge,Allowing a chink of light to escape from the railway station would be grounds for a not-so-insignificant fine and some serious dressing down. Of course, one thing that should also be present are instructions to the nearest air raid shelter. There are no such signs in here. Hopefully there isn't an air raid before you manage to board the train.
Art or Art History Knowledge,The paintings are all local pieces of the sort made by ordinary landscape artists who have a neat skill with a paint brush but lack the sense of style that separates mundane painters from the masters. These paintings have been made by a half dozen different artists. Only one has signs of real style but something about the design work leaves you in mind of a painter who has used a skilful photograph as their subject and presumed the colouration. It is a haunting image of a sunset with brooding storm clouds above the flashes of colour with green grasses below.

Re: Railway Station Waiting Room

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 am
by jimjam
Ilona walks in and takes a seat on one of the benches. She breathes into her hands and rubs them together to warm them. "Oh dear, I seem to have left my gloves at the estate." She mumbles to herself as she rummages through her rather large handbag. She pulls out a pair of men's reading glasses with a very thick lens and a small statue and starts looking it over, not wearing the glasses, but using them more as a magnifying glass instead.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:50 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie enters, "Ah, nice and warm." He places his bags carefully in a corner and decides to inspect the horse gear. "Somehow I doubt they sell horses tickets." He says to himself.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:01 am
by Laraqua
Simple search of the saddle,These are some high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They'd be worth a reasonable slice of money, too. There's something engraved on the bridle, sides of the bit, some kind of stylised candle design (perhaps?) in an off-kilter five-sided star. Very unusual. (Evidence Collection 1-pt spend and Occult 1-pt spend available.)
Outdoorsman Knowledge on the Saddle,There's an odd shape to the saddle with a slight lump to the side near the stitching that is quite odd.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:19 am
by Ritterton
Artemis pushed his way through the black out curtain, waited for it fall behind him, and then pushed his way through the other curtain into the antecahmber. He heard the rustling of the second curtain fall into place and walked into the waiting room. His face still had a bit of a flush to it and the room felt even warmer.

"Good evening," he said as he looked about.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate follows Ilona into the station's waiting room, sitting beside her and looking with interest when she pulls out the statue. "Interesting," she says. "I'd wager it has quite a story behind it."

Forty men or eight horses, she thinks when she hears Charlie's comment. It was something her father had mentioned was on the train cars in France when he had fought in the last war. She wonders if they still do that in this one. Cavalry aren't used so much these days, but at least horses don't need petrol - just hay or grass.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:44 am
by Charlie Hagan
"Evenin'," Charlie replies, still investigating the saddles.
Laraqua,Spend 1 Evidence Collection point

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 am
by Laraqua
Mr. Hagan,notices that there is a suspicious bulge in two panels of the saddles just large enough to represent a hidden pocket. While it could certainly be slitted open, with a successful Conceal roll he could find his way inside by learning the trick of it as he's pretty sure it's not simply sewn shut but is meant to be a hidden hidey hole. Note: You can spend points in Conceal to gain bonuses to your die roll. We roll a single 1D6 and typically you need to score a 4 or above. Normally you therefore have a 50% chance of success but can spend points to increase it. If you fail, you cannot repeat the test (unless it's in combat or conflict) but can get someone else to try or try something different. I can roll for you but you'll need to tell me if you'll spend any Conceal points.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:53 am
by Charlie Hagan
Laraqua,I'll spend 2 Conceal points

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:54 am
by Laraqua
Mr. Hagan,still trying to work out the dice rollers on this system but ended up having to use a web-site instead. I rolled a 2 and you spend 2 points for a lovely 4 which is a success. You manage to slip your fingers in from a crease beneath the saddle and slide your hands up and over, finding that on one side there is a chain and thin medallion on one side and on the other side there is a letter within an envelope. If you would like to pull them out unseen, since the medallion is the size of an Australian 50 cent coin you will need to make another Conceal roll. Otherwise you can just pull them out normally.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:00 am
by Charlie Hagan
Laraqua,I'll try another Conceal roll to pull them out but I won't spend any points.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:04 am
by Laraqua
Mr. Hagan,no such luck but at least you're aware of it enough to not try to pocket it. If no one takes it from you, you can always judiciously pocket it later on when you're in an empty room.
To those who are gazing in his general direction, Mr. Hagan pulls an envelope and a silver medallion out of the collection of horse gear, as if by magic.
Closer inspection,The medallion has that same symbol of a candle flame in a little circle, sitting within a wonky five-pointed star on one side but on the other side there is an upside down ankh, thickly engraved, surrounded by Arabic words interspersed with more upside down ankhs. The envelope is plain, but not sealed, and isn't addressed to anyone.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:28 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie looks over the medallion. "Anyone here a linguist?" he asks to the room as he flicks the medallion into the air and catches it before opening envelope to read any letter that may be inside.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:41 am
by Laraqua
The Letter,The ink is faded though the paper appears pristine and brand new. It is quite a short read: You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةIf you are reading this than it may not yet be too late. Know that you are not the first and that, for the war to end, you will not be the last either. The train will arrive at 8:30 but it is essential that you miss that train and return home as soon as you are able. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةThe longer you linger in the station before that point, the more difficult it will be to escape. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة I came here to help arrange matters and to assist with the vital preparations necessary to allow the glory of Great Britain to succeed and I have willingly and gratefully assisted my Egyptian allies in fighting off the Nazi threat but their methods are cruel and You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة
Examining the Medallion,there is a 2-pt spend available for Occult and a 1-pt spend available for Art History, Anthropology, Archaeology and History. If you can speak Arabic, I will explain what the writing around the outside means.
Occult or Archaeology Knowledge and Examining the Medallion,The ankh is an Egyptian symbol representing life (especially the eternal life of the gods) but there is no general information available on what it means were it to be inverted. Death? Or something else?

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 am
by jimjam
Ilona takes a long moment before she realises Kate had been talking to her. "Oh, me?" She pipes up. "I'm terribly sorry, I must seem quite rude! This one is an Egyptian statue of Osiris, Isis and Horus." Ilona laughs and puts her glasses back in her handbag."Or at least that's what it is supposed to look like. This is a recreation from 1923 after the hype of King Tutankhamun's tomb being discovered. It doesn't even have any of the usual symbolism you'd get from the real Egyptian statues, or even a really good knock-off. I must say, these kinds of things are actually the most popular items I sell." she sighs. "They look pretty I suppose."

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:20 am
by jimjam
"Oh, er, I can speak Arabic and also- also Latin. It's that useful? Mr... uh?" She trails off, assuming he'll fill in with an introduction.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:50 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie looks up from the letter he was reading and flashes Ilona a smile, "Hagan, Charlie Hagan. And yeah that should be great. In fact, I'd say this is quite up your alley." He steps over and passes her the medallion.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:51 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan enters the waiting room, shaking off the cold air from outside. "Good even-", he begins, then he notices that everyone in the room is gathered in circle around what seems to be a medallion... and a letter? His eyes then fall on the horse gear on the other side of the room.

What's going on here?

His interest piqued by the strange scene, Jonathan gets close to the group, trying to understand what's happening.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis started to turn towards Charlie Hagan, when the swish of the curtains behind him caught his attention, he turns his head and sees another man enter the room as he continues to walk to the ladies and the gentleman with the medal and letter.

"Good evening," Artemis returned the greeting to the new member in the room with his Philadelphia accent coming through in his words. "Artemis Richter, pleasure. So, which language do you need Mr. Hagan? For German and Latin are two additional ones that I can add to the list." [/b] As he gets closure to the group, he notices the woman with the Egyptian statue. His face shifts into a puzzled look.

My pardon, Artemis Richter, Mr. Hagan." Artemis extended his hand towards Mr. Hagan.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 pm
by Laraqua
Miss Aston on the medallion,spend options are in the earlier post under Examining the Medallion (both of them). الظلام فرعون يحميني or alzzalam fireawn yahmini is what is repeated over and over along the edges. [i]Dark Pharoah protect me.[/i]

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie shakes Artemis' hand firmly, "Looked like Arabic to me. Bit of it on this letter too, as well as English." He holds the letter out for anyone to take. "Seems like someone's idea of a practical joke. I've got this friend, Richie, seems just like the sorta thing he'd do to me for a laugh."

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:59 am
by Ejstricker
"How interesting, what does it say?" asks the countess, who had entered at the same time as Kate.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:26 am
by Ritterton
Artemis takes the proffered letter and read it quickly. He gave Hagan a puzzled look, and when one of the ladies asked what it said, he cleared his voice.

"There are parts of it that are in one of the languages of the lavant or of Egypt, I suspect." Artemis shook his head and began reading the letter when it was apparent that he had the various occupants of the station's attention.
You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةIf you are reading this than it may not yet be too late. Know that you are not the first and that, for the war to end, you will not be the last either. The train will arrive at 8:30 but it is essential that you miss that train and return home as soon as you are able. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةThe longer you linger in the station before that point, the more difficult it will be to escape. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة I came here to help arrange matters and to assist with the vital preparations necessary to allow the glory of Great Britain to succeed and I have willingly and gratefully assisted my Egyptian allies in fighting off the Nazi threat but their methods are cruel and You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة
"Surely, Mr. Hagan, if this is a prank, it is a poor prank and a significantly improper imposition upon the rest of us." Artemis shook his head looking at the letter. "And what's all of this about missing the train, I need to catch that to meet up with a friend at the British Museum tomorrow morning. I really cannot figure out what all of this would be about."

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate follows Ilona over to where the others are looking at the medallion. "Good evening," she says. "I'm Kate Lacey. Let's see what we've got here." She peers with interest at the medallion and the letter, the statue already forgotten thanks to this new and intriguing find. "Some sort of good luck charm, maybe?" Her eyes go wide when she reads the letter. "Whatever this is, it's related to the war effort. We'd best report it to the authorities. We could knock on the station master's door."
OOC,I'd like to spend a point of Anthropology.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:54 am
by Laraqua
Medallion Anthropology SPEND for Miss Kate Lacey,the upside down ankh has something to do with more modern Egyptian cults of the past few centuries which likely involves a resurgence in pagan religious interest due to the current (historically speaking) insecurities at hold there, while the strange faux-pentagram-like symbol is more commonly found in Polynesia and occasionally also scattered in other typically coastal communities and has a long history that stretches back a couple millenia and is thought to ward off drowning, malformed children and adolescent deformities. Since this medallion's style appears far more modern, perhaps even machine-pressed, it is likely that it is either part of some mock-occult swindle or some genuine wannabe occultist is stealing foreign imagery to make themselves feel safe. After all, medallions (worn so close to the hart) are more typically designed as protective amulets than for any other reason.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 am
by jimjam
Ilona rests her statue in her lap and reaches out and takes the medallion. “Ah, thank you Mr Hagan.” She looks over the object and mumbles the writing as she’s reading it. “This seems to be written in Arabic, Mr Richter. Alzalam fireawn yahmini, or in English it would translate to Dark Pharaoh Protect me. Quite a, er, quite an interesting medallion Mr Hagen. May I ask where you found it?” She says taking out her glasses from her bag once more to take a closer look
Examining the medallion,Going to point spend for one of each if I can – Art History, Archaeology, History

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:57 am
by Laraqua
Art History,Since this medallion's style appears far more modern, perhaps even machine-pressed, it is likely that it is either part of some mock-occult swindle or some genuine wannabe occultist is stealing foreign imagery to make themselves feel safe. After all, medallions (worn so close to the hart) are more typically designed as protective amulets than for any other reason. This medallion is certainly silver, and not just silver-plated, and was likely machine-pressed in the late Victorian era. This means that it is, at most, sixty years old. Is is worth quite a bit of money just because it's a sizable chunk of silver. The Polynesian faux-pentagram symbol on one side and the Egyptian ankh on the other side suggests someone who wanted to create something that appeared to mean something, but isn't real, or a modern occult tradition that cobbles together mixed symbolism.
Archaeology,The upside down ankh is connected to the Pharoah Nitocris. According to Dr. Ali Kafour of the Cairo Museum, Nitocris was a beautiful and evil queen during the Egyptian 6th Dynasty, reputedly in league with the Brotherhood of The Black Pharoah. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitocris Nitokris is a legendary figure who may actually have been the last pharaoh of the Sixth Dynasty. She appears as queen of the ghouls, leader of an army of abominable composite mummies, and consort of undead King Kephren a tale written but little-known by Harry Houdini in a set of weird fiction published in the mid 1920s. Nitokris, "who once invited all her enemies to a feast in a temple below the Nile, and drowned them by opening the water-gates," is presented by Lovecraft as a sinister but beautiful woman, the right side of whose face has been "eaten away by rats or other ghouls." The upside down ankh is also connected to The Black Pharaoh, Nephren-ka, an insane pharaoh who secured the Shining Trapezohedron for Egypt, but after being convinced by the resident Haunter of the Dark within that stone, he had a lightless temple created to hold the stone and the deity within. That temple became a center of abominable happenings, and the rites carried out there were so monstrous the temple was destroyed and the Pharaoh's name was struck from all records and monuments.
History,The upside down ankh has more recently been used by the Brotherhood of the Black Pharoah which is a group of terrorists based out of Egypt dedicated to hastening the return of an ancient dynasty of Egyptian pharoahs who would control the world through magical intent. More recent awareness suggests that they are actually a crime syndicate who uses fear of their cult-like loyalties to force officials in Cairo to bow to their whims. Much of their activities have been kept quiet, and they've pretty much disappeared since England took true control over Cairo. It is said that they made frequent use of hallucinogenics to help keep the Egyptians compliant but when the British arrived they ate from separate dishes and tended toward foods who were bland enough to notice the strange taste of a hallucinogen most often covered up by the taste of spice.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"T'was in those saddlebags miss, same symbol on them as well. If this isn't some prank on one of us I'm guessing that whoever it is for was s'posed to see that symbol. Look," Charlie holds out an open palm, "I'll take 'em upstairs and see if anyone's there, if they're British intelligence I'll hand 'em over, if they're a prankster I'll let 'em know they're all wet. Everyone good with that?"

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm
by Ritterton
"Makes sense, I guess, but I also think we should knock on the door of the Station Master for with a train about to arrive, surely the man should be here." Artemis handed back the letter and then walked over to the marked door for the master and rapped on its glass a few times. "Sir, Sir, are you in there, there seems to be something rather odd going on out here. Sir, sir."

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan smiles as he reads the letter, half-amused, half-puzzled. "Well, I've got to admit, this might be the most elaborate prank I've ever seen in my life. It's not on me, though - I don't have friends around here. But still, very well done... the choice of words, the parts in arabic... one of you understands the language, yes? Miss... I'm not sure I got your name. Seems reasonable that this would be a joke from someone that knows you, and your knowledge of the language."

He hands back the letter to Ilona, then turns towards Artemis as he knocks on the station master's door.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:48 pm
by Laraqua
There is no response at the Station Master's door.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am
by jimjam
Ilona gladly lets Charlie take the medallion from her and hesitantly takes the letter from Jonathan. “My Apologies, it’s Ilona Aston.” She says, not looking up from the letter she was handed and furrows her brow as she quickly reads it.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:35 am
by Laraqua
Arabic writing in the letter,You are not the first. You are not the last. This is what is repeated throughout.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:50 am
by Ritterton
Artemis waited at the door when he heard no response. Then rapped the glass again and tried the handle to see if it was in fact locked. When the door failed to open, he turned back to the group with a look of frustration.

"Where is this man? He needs to be here for the passengers that would be arriving, if not for us?" Artemis scowled and came back to the larger group shaking his head.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:05 am
by jimjam
"This should be reported to the authorities." Ilona says, she seems very uneasy. She hands the letter over to the person nearest to her, Miss Lacey. "I- I think I'll go wait out the front with my belongings."

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:34 am
by Charlie Hagan
"Cheers." Charlie says as he takes the medallion, then heads upstairs.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll try to find someone in charge," Kate tells Ilona as she takes the letter. "The passengers and crew on that train could be in danger, and they must be warned. It's odd that the station master isn't responding. That medallion is interesting, but like the statue, it is not as ancient as it appears at first glance. It's at most a few centuries old, and it looks like it may have been machined. The inverted ankh is Egyptian, but its usage there is far more recent. It's some sort of neo-pagan symbol of the sort that might be used by indigenous cults there, but the pentagram-looking thing seems Polynesian, though some coastal communities use it too. That symbol is a couple of millennia old, and it's believed to protect from drowning, birth defects, and deformities in adolescence. Either it's a fake, or someone who's into the occult decided to put these symbols together for personal use in the belief that it will provide protection, which is why amulets are often worn." She fingers her own St. Christopher's medallion, which is supposed to serve a similar purpose.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:25 am
by Laraqua
Waiting Room Description

Upon opening the front door you must then push aside a black out curtain to enter a small and dark ante-chamber with wooden partitions either side that run up to the ceiling. You wait there a moment for the curtain to fall shut behind you, ensuring no light can escape, and then you brush aside the next curtain before entering the main waiting room. Around four people can squish in here at once but it's better form to wait until the person, or couple, ahead of you have entered before entering yourself.

Once you've passed through this little ante-chamber, you find yourself in a wide room with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The whole place feels quite warm and cheery due to the lovely big old fire burning on the other side of the building, flanked on either side by the ladies and the gentleman's restrooms. It's given an even toastier feeling because the whole room is bathed in a nice orange glow with very little competition - only one of the wall-mounted lamps is on and that's one of those nearest the door. There is a most peculiar odour of polish, cologne and saddlery, which might be caused by the pile of horse gear strung out over one of the benches which is most peculiar. A portrait of the British King holds pride of place above the fireplace.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.[/spoiler] [spoiler]Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge, These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.
Law Knowledge,Allowing a chink of light to escape from the railway station would be grounds for a not-so-insignificant fine and some serious dressing down. Of course, one thing that should also be present are instructions to the nearest air raid shelter. There are no such signs in here. Hopefully there isn't an air raid before you manage to board the train.
Art or Art History Knowledge,The paintings are all local pieces of the sort made by ordinary landscape artists who have a neat skill with a paint brush but lack the sense of style that separates mundane painters from the masters. These paintings have been made by a half dozen different artists. Only one has signs of real style but something about the design work leaves you in mind of a painter who has used a skilful photograph as their subject and presumed the colouration. It is a haunting image of a sunset with brooding storm clouds above the flashes of colour with green grasses below.
NEW INFORMATION: Three women and a man are sitting or standing near the middle bench seats. One of those women holds a letter in her hand), while a second man (Artemis) broods near the Station Master's office. There's no sign of the third man (who the others know went upstairs).

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:02 pm
by RhinoRat
After passing through the second curtain, Frank Durant walks into the waiting room, notices the other travelers in passing, and walks over to an unoccupied corner nearest where the train will board.

He double checks his ticket, glances again at his watch, and setting his suitcase down next to him (his trunk having gone ahead on the earlier train on which he arrived) he looks at any nearby paintings or photos while he waits.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:54 pm
by jimjam
"Please, I want nothing to do with Terrorists or-or Dark Pharaoh cults."
Ilona puts the statue back in her bag and hurriedly exits the room out to the platform.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the station master went to the gents for a bit," says Kate, "though he picked a fine time to do it." She turns to Artemis. "You could see if he's in there, unlike us. Mr. Hagan is already looking about upstairs. I'll visit the ladies' waiting room and see if there's anyone there."

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 am
by Ejstricker
"Perhaps that new fellow over there knows something of the missing station master," says the countess to Kate, glancing sidelong at Frank Durant as he enters.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 am
by Ritterton
'I agree, that may be where he is at. But, he's cutting it close if we are to catch a train in a few minutes." Artemis nodded in agreement to Kate's suggestion. He looked at his wrist watch, shook his head in disbelief, and walked into the Gentlemen's Restroom.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think he's only just arrived," says Kate, "though it wouldn't hurt to ask him - and warn him of the danger. Would you like to, or shall I?"

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:57 am
by Ritterton
Artemis walked back into the waiting room with his walking stick taping out a staccato that accented the puzzled scowl on his face. In his left hand was filled papers.

"I think this is the oddest train station, Artemis spoke at the ladies and the new arrival. "I wasn't able to find the Station Mayer, but did find a stack of these rambling, bewildering I guess religious pamphlets."

He waived them out in front of him as he came to a stop near the ladies.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:07 am
by RhinoRat
The tapping of a cane stirred Frank from his thoughts. He looked up to see a gentleman waving around some pamphlets, and inside Frank hoped it wasn't a Bible-thumper trying to spread some "good word". He didn't have anything against Bibles....or thumpers for that matter. He just wasn't currently in the mood, and didn't want anything keeping him from a good seat on the train.

He thought one of the ladies glanced in his direction, which seemed unlikely, but he offered a small smile and a friendly nod just in case. He certainly didn't want to seem rude. But he also didn't want to seem like he was staring, so he quickly glanced back down at his watch, then went back to waiting for the train.
OOC:   Can someone explain how to get an image in your post? Apparently I am doing it wrong. Thanks!  

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:59 pm
by Overlord87
Well, this is getting better and better, thinks Jonathan as he reads the religious pamphlet. He can almost feel the ideas for a new novel gathering in his mind... the strange medallion, the mysterious pamphlets, the missing station master... then the train finally arrives, but once aboard the passengers start disappearing one after another... yes, this strange prank could clearly give him some inspiration.

"What time is it? I think the train will be here any minute now. Then the station master is bound to make his appearance... right?"

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis laughed aloud and then caught himself. "Sorry, sorry, it's just that we have all been trying to figure out where that man actually might be. As it seems he has left the station, and us waiting here without out him."

Artemis smiled and walked over to the new addition and extended his right hand. "Artemis Richter, welcome to our little strangeness."

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:09 am
by RhinoRat
OOC:   I am assuming Artemis is talking to Frank (as the new guy). If not, let me know and I will delete this post. Thanks. I am still getting the hang of things. :)  
Anyone looking at Frank might notice he is just slightly below average in height, with a cheap ill-fitting suit that makes him seem just slightly underweight as well. Overall a very common looking person. Not unattractive, but certainly not attractive. Just your plain average Joe. Possibly a little more rundown looking than most. The only thing that might make him stand out is his strikingly black hair and moustache, and a quiet air of self confidence.

"Nice to meet you. Frank Durant here," he says taking the hand that was extended toward him and shaking it firmly.
"Who is it you are looking for? And what do mean 'strangeness'?" , he asked with a wry look still afraid that the man might be interested in saving his soul.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"And I'm Kate Lacey," says Kate, joining them. She's a tall, pretty woman with black hair. She wears a black dress with a purple overcoat on top of it. The dress is elegant, but it is a couple of years old and slightly out of fashion. It probably would have a cost a year's worth of ration points these days and was obviously acquired before the war. "We're trying to find the station master. Here, I think you'd better read this. One of our fellow passengers found it." She shows him the letter.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"I am very pleased to meet you Miss Lacey", he says with a nod in her direction, "The Station Master? I was just talking to him not too long ago, I am sure he is around."

He pauses for a moment thinking.

"I saw two fellas earlier walking away from the station, but I think they were the drivers of the cars parked outside. Neither one looked like the Station Master though. I found it odd that they drove down, then walked to a car that was waiting for them back up the road a ways.....but I guess that doesn't help at all with the Station Master. I am sure he will be around. I have been here for a few hours, and he normally gets busy right before a train shows up, so he is probably just taking care of some last minute duties."

He takes the letter Kate Lacey was holding out, reads a few paragraphs, and scratches his head. He hands the letter back and says, "I am sorry Miss, I am not good with riddles and such. I don't actually know what to make of that. Where did you find it?"

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:27 am
by Overlord87

"Yes, forgive me for not introducing myself earlier... name's Jonathan Alden. What I meant earlier was that while we might not be able to find the station master, he surely must be nearby... and we'll be able to meet him when the train arrives." Jonathan shrugs while adding: "Unless he's also part of the prank, obviously."

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:34 am
by Ejstricker
Countess looks somewhat puzzled by all this. "Prank?" Was all the Countess questioned in an almost rude tone.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:14 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, yes, prank... what else do you think this might be?", Jonathan asks, puzzled.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:24 pm
by Ritterton
"Gentlemen, I don't think that we are part of a prank," Artemis looked at both Frank and Jonathan with a seriousness that matched his robe. He leaned into his hardened walking stick, the light catching the silver adornments that said YPRES, AEF, PARIS, and other places. Some bore a patina that came with decades of exposure and polish. Others, like a Zeppelin or set of Olympic rings were much newer and the edges much more crisp catching the light at sharper angles.

"Good lady, is there any reason we shouldn't consider the letter for what it may be, a warning or dare say a plea? "

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:05 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"If you don't mind my asking, where did the letter come from? Who was it addressed to?", Frank asked.

The people now surrounding him were clearly from a higher social standing than he. While it didn't exactly make him uncomfortable, he was painfully aware that his opinions probably wouldn't matter much to them. But the ladies were more than attractive, and the gentlemen seemed like decent fellows, plus his blasted curiousity once again was getting the better of him. So even though he couldn't make heads or tales of the letter, and he couldn't even speak, let alone read, any foreign languages, he decided he might stick around to see where the conversation would lead. Of course the train would be arriving any minute, but maybe they could continue the conversation there.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't find it," says Kate. "It was Mr. Hagan who found the letter, and he went upstairs. I have no reason to doubt what's in the letter. Some of it sounds strange, but we can't afford to ignore the possible danger under the circumstances. That's why we were looking for the station master, to warn him. If this letter is right, something's going to happen to the 8:30 train. Maybe an act of sabotage, I don't know. But we have to warn people."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:07 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank hesitated momentarily. Internally he was debating on whether he should tell the lady that he didn't find anything suspicious or dangerous about the letter. Perhaps just trying to calm her fears would be the best course of action.

"That certainly was an odd letter Miss. My take on it was that the person writing the letter seemed to want to meet with the person the letter was intended for, so he or she was telling them not to get on the train. There wasn't really a threat against the train, it just said to miss the train and then to go home, right? And the person writing it says they are working to help England, so if you believe the rest of it then you should believe that part too, I would think," Frank calmly stated, trying to sound reasonable about the whole crazy affair. "But if there is something I can do to help, just let me know and I will see what I can do."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:37 am
by Laraqua
Something small thuds against the wall outside, not far from the door.
Photography spend for RhinoRat from the railway station platform,[list][*]Declan O'Donoghue used to be a fireman in the thirties and achieved local fame after pulling three children from a particularly deadly fire. This fame held him in good stead when he started taking pictures of people during the Great Depression. He is said to have been a handsome man, which also encouraged people to call on him as a portrait photographer though his passion has always been for landscapes. When the war began and he didn't enlist, people called him a coward. [*]That all changed in July of this year when he hauled two British airmen from a burning plane which landed well, if on fire, and while the airmen survived relatively unharmed when he hauled them to safety, he regrettably caught on fire and had to roll about to extinguish it. His face was badly burned in the ordeal but the local fellows rallied around him for some plastic surgery and he was given this position as a Station Master to replace a fellow who had left for the war. Now he is regaled as a local hero.[/list]

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate nearly jumps out of her skin at the thump, already frightened by the tone of the letter. "Sir, that's not the impression I got from reading the letter," she replies. "The author told his contact to go home, not to meet him - or her." She peers at the handwriting to try to determine if a man or a woman wrote it. "It also says that the longer he or she lingers in the station before 8:30, the harder it will be to escape. Escape from what? Something dangerous, obviously. No, there's nothing innocuous about this letter, and that's not even taking into account the Arabic portions, which I can't read. Miss Aston could, and she was even more terrified than I was. She rushed outside just before you came in, so you may have seen her. Right before she left, she said she wanted nothing to do with terrorists or Dark Pharaoh cults, so I suppose she must be trying to flee."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 am
by jimjam
Ilona comes back inside, shivering. She doesn't have her coat on anymore and is rather pale in the face. She takes a seat slowly then takes a deep, controlled breath in and out.
"I think I really need a cup of tea." She says strangely cheerfully.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 am
by Laraqua
A clock chimes the half hour in the Station Master's office. As those chimes peel away, reverberating deep within them, there's four thudding great sounds at each corner of the wall beside the door, coming from the other side, and the heavy jangle of large steel chains.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's 8:30 already!" says Kate, even more frightened as she rushes for the exit. "What the devil was that? Someone's locking us in!"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:24 am
by jimjam
"No!" Ilona blurts out as she jumps to her feet. "I-I mean, I'm sure that's not the case! Here, I'll help you get it open, it's probably just the wind."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:08 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank jumps at the thuds near the door.

"Ladies! Please wait! Gentlemen," he says speaking to Artemis and Jonathan, "Would you be able to secure the door for a moment?"

Without waiting for an answer he kneels down, quickly unlocks his case, and after rummaging around for a a couple seconds stands up with a Colt M1911A1 and rams some extra clips into his pocket. He then shrugs off his suit coat and begins to slip on his shoulder holster making sure that he keeps his eye on the door, and keeps arm free to take a shot in case German soldiers were to run into the station. He doesn't know what exactly is going on, but he wants to be ready, and to be honest he is now getting a little concerned between the strange letter, the odd noises, and the ladies yelling.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:25 am
by jimjam
Ilona turns around and watches the man pull the gun out of his bag and with no further context to what’s going on starts to panic. “Oh dear, oh dear… I-is this a robbery? Please my bags are outside, let us go. Oh... Oh no! You're the terrorists?” She turns to Miss Lacey. "They're going to sacrifice us as apart of their horrid cult ritual!"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 am
by Laraqua
It's even more worrying for the two ladies who are currently trapped in the short blackout corridor, the internal curtain flung roughly aside and thus still hanging open, with the stuck door at their back. There's the chug-chug-chuck sound of the train coming from outside and approaching the station.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate gently places her hands on Ilona's shoulders. "Try to stay calm," she says. "I don't think he's one of them, or they wouldn't have locked him in with all of us, even if he has a gun. There's too much chance we'd all be able to overpower just one man. If they want to kill us, all they have to do is burn the station down or blow it up - but I don't think that's their game!" she adds quickly to keep the other woman from giving in to deeper panic. "Maybe the train is their target, and they just want to keep us out of the way."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:55 am
by Ritterton
Artemis pushes his way through the curtains and the two ladies in an attempt to peer out onto the platform, pulling back the black out curtain with his walking stick and letting his eyes adjust to the darkness outside. He focused both his breathing and his thoughts to what lay outside and the sounds coming through the closed doors.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:07 am
by Laraqua
Through the windows,it is dark outside and the moon seems mainly hidden away, simply gilding the heavy fog that floats dreamily across the platform with a silver light. There is a pair of lights in the distance, likely from the train, and it is just vaguely possible to see an outline of the pyramid of cases upon the platform. Unfortunately this angle doesn't allow you to see much of the door itself (which is solid wood and has no windows within them (though there are windows on either side of them).

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:10 am
by Ritterton
Artemis shook his head in frustration. He leaned against the solid oaken door and pushed with his shoulder testing to see if the platform was no longer accessible to him and his fellow travelers.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:20 am
by Laraqua
Budging the door,would be an Athletics check. Two people can work on the door at the same time. You may spend points in Athletics to attempt to batter it down. You will end up with a sore shoulder, whether you succeed or fail, but I won't deduct any health points from you. This is a more difficult than normal test (i.e. higher Target Number than 4) but I won't tell you precisely how high. (1-pt Crafts spend available.)

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:44 am
by Ritterton
Artemis leaned away from the door and then slammed his shoulder and upper arm against the oak.

[dice]1d6[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:46 am
by Laraqua
The door doesn't budge.
Artemis,(Since dice roller didn't work, I rolled a dice for you and got a 4.)

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:49 am
by Ritterton
Artemis leaned away from the door, then with a huff slammed his right shoulder and upper arm against the oak.
Spoiler:
[dice]1d6[/dice] now why is this not rolling a dice?

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:11 am
by Laraqua
Unfortunately his efforts spent, the second hit does no more than the first.
General Skills Information,You can't simply re-test unless you do something differently enough to justify another try. As an example, if you failed to fix a motor using poor tools you couldn't re-test unless you returned after getting an engine schematic and better tools.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:52 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Cursing himself inwardly for being so hasty Frank angled himself to a window so he could peek out as he yelled, "Mr. Richter, do you see anything?"

He continued berating himself internally. He had started out trying to keep a low profile and not draw attention, and he ended up pulling a gun in the middle of a crowded station. But really...beautiful women, sophisticated gentlemen, a mysterious note, and a missing station master...what was he to think? Perhaps he should take a break from reading anymore Hardy Boys as this was sounding just like a synopsis for one of Dixon's books.

After peeking out the window he calmly turned to address Ilona Aston while still keeping an eye on the door, "I am very sorry Miss, I really mean you no harm. I am afraid my nerves got the better of me and I was swept up with all the mystery and intrigue. Just give us a moment to ensure your safety and I will put this bean shooter back where it belongs."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:34 pm
by Laraqua
The black out curtains are made into a wooden frame which makes them easier to move back and forth. Unfortunately you have to lever it out somewhat, rather than simply lifting a flap, which releases more light to the outside world. The train seems to be taking a long time to approach, you can still hear it, and it sounds louder and as though it were slowing down but it should have pulled into the station already.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:29 pm
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie rushes down the stairs only to come up short as he notices Frank. "Woah, what's goin' on here?" he says, holding out his hands in a non-threatening manner. "I don't want any trouble, sir."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:27 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan had been looking in disbelief at the scene in front of his eyes. Have these people gone mad?

He first waves a hand towards Frank. "Put away that gun... are you out of your mind? We are inside a railway station in England, for Christ's sake... what do you think it's going to happen, that would require a gun?". He then moves towards the door, and start knocking loudly, almost banging his fists: "Open the door! Is there anyone out there? Open the door immediately! This is not funny! We have a train to catch!"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 pm
by Ritterton
Hearing his name from the other room, Artemis turns in frustration as the door did not even budge with his efforts to open them. He pushed through the curtain to find one of the new arrivals pointing a gun in the general direction of Jonathan and Charlie who had his hands up. Jonathan pushed past him and began pounding on the door as it appeared that Frank was going to put the gun away.

"Charlie, did you find anything upstairs? See anything out any of the windows regarding the train? Seems that the door got locked and shut from the outside." Artemis tried to keep his voice relatively calm, but his mind was spinning as to what was going on in the Station. "Any sign of anyoe else in this bloody place?"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:38 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank pointed the gun at the ground, but held his other hand up in a "keep your distance" sort of gesture at Charlie Hagan. He had no intention of anyone wrestling his gun away at this point but he realized that keeping it pointed toward the door was just creating more anxiety and making him look like the enemy.

"You must be Mr. Hagan. Miss Lacey mentioned that you were upstairs and that you were the one that found the mysterious letter, yes?"

Addressing Jonathan Alden he began calmly, "Sir, you are correct that we are in the middle of a train station in England, but if you haven't noticed there is a WAR going on and there are blackout curtains on the doors and windows for the simple reason that we don't want to be a target for a German bomber, and anywhere a German bomber can reach there is also a possibility of German paratroopers. So between that, the concern and mention of sabotage, and the fact we currently seem to be locked in the station, this seems like EXACTLY the type of situation that might require a gun!"

He slumped against the wall, gun still pointed down, other hand rubbing his forehead.

He began speaking again, softer this time, "Mr. Alden, I beg your pardon. That was uncalled for. I assure all of you that I am not a danger and on the contrary I am just trying to ensure our safety. Please indulge me for another moment so we can make sure we are not in imminent danger, and I will put away my pistol. Ladies, I truly apologize for my rash behavior."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 pm
by Laraqua
The train whistles away some steam as it finally chugs into the station, and you can hear its wheels slow as it moves into position. Beyond it you can hear the sound of chain links being rattled, which is odd, because there are no fences out there. The fire in the fireplace burns low for a moment and then flares back to its normal life. At least it's still warm and cozy in here. At least that's something.
Out the window,the fog is so deep you can't really make out the train now that it's pulled up into place. If anything it just looks like a deeper darkness filling the space just beyond the platform.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 am
by Ritterton
"Can anyone see what is going on with the train? I can't get the door to budge at all." Artemis turned and looked across the room at the other inhabitants. "Where is that damned Station Manager?"

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate peeks out the window. "I see aught but fog," she says, "but I could hear the train pull in." She inspects the door closely. "Perhaps there's a better way to open this than by using brute force."
OOC,Spending 1 point of Craft.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 am
by Laraqua
Miss Lacey,as the hinges are on this side it would be a relatively simple matter to undo it on the hinges and then even if the chains have bee somehow secured to the middle of the door, it could be opened on the sides. Alternatively if it isn't actually connected to the chains, even if locked, it could be wedged out as a whole object. This would be a Mechanical Repair roll and would require some form of tools. There may be tools in the Station Master's office or in the Baggage Room. Alternatively you could always remove the glass from the windows, though that would be a noisy affair as none of these windows actually open. The upstairs windows might open but then you'd need to climb down from them. If you moved the black out structure to face over one of the windows, you could also peer out on the platform without revealing any light -- though it would doubtless be simpler to just go upstairs.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll need some tools," says Kate, "but we can easily remove these doors since the hinges are on the inside. We might find them in the Station Master's office or the baggage room, but those doors are locked. The chains won't matter then. We can just pull the doors inside. Or we could wedge them outward as long as the chains aren't secured to the doors themselves. We could also try removing the glass, but that would make a lot of noise. These windows weren't designed to open. If you want to get a better look at the platform, we could move the blackout structure over a window, which will keep light from getting out. Or someone could just go upstairs."

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 am
by Ejstricker
The countess rises from her seat after watching them all moving here and there, and slinks over to Frank Durant with a gliding walk. Her gaze catches his, and she asks, "Why do you have a gun?" A simple question, but her voice purrs around the edges.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:15 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie drops his hands. "So some nutters have locked us up in here? I was worried something like this would happen."

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:59 am
by jimjam
"Oh me. I'll go upstairs." Ilona, steps forward, hand half raised. She gives Charlie a sideways glance with a frown, then quickly heads out of the room.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:42 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank stood up away from the wall, looked the Countess in the eyes and said quietly with a sad smile"I used to be a private investigator. Things didn't work out."

He walked away from her, seemingly lost in his own thoughts, back to where his boot case laid open in disarray. Looking around and coming to terms with the fact that no one was currently invading the station he decided to holster his pistol. He then picked up his discarded suit coat and slipped it on, put everything back in his case, snapped it shut, and locked it.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:03 pm
by Laraqua
The train would be sure to leave soon. It would only wait a few short minutes before moving on.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:34 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"So what have they done, locked the doors? Chained them? Barricaded them?" Charlie goes around to inspect the locks and apply pressure to the doors as he asks, trying to project an aura of calm.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:54 pm
by Laraqua
The doors don't budge. They're likely locked, but there may be an additional barrier as suggested.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, I want to get out of this place. Miss Lacey, you mentioned the possibility of forcing the door open from the inside, having the proper tools? Well then, let's find these tools. Surely we should be able to force our way into the Station Master's office", Jonathan says, then moves towards the office's door and slams into it with his shoulder, trying to force it open.

Spoiler:
I suppose I need to roll Athletics. I spend 2 points.

Rolled a 7. http://orokos.com/roll/408230

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 am
by Laraqua
Thud, thud, crack. On the third time he puts his shoulder to the door, Mr. Alden manages to break the lock and the door bounces against a soft weight and swings toward a closed position once more. The vague scent of rancid butter mixed with some awfully strong perfume floats out through the gap.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:24 am
by Ritterton
Artemis watched as Alden walked across the room to the Station Master's office and after juggling the handle throwing his upper body against the door. On the third try, the door opens slightly and the comes to a closed position. Artemis walked quickly, his walking stick tapping out his pace on the polished floor.

"Here Jonathan, let me see if I can help you with that one at least," as he approached Alden and the door he caught the odd combination of heavy perfume and rancid butter. He grimaced slight as he closed with Alden. "What is that smell? Let's see if we can get inside there and find those tools."

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate smiles, obviously impressed, as she hurries to the Station Master's door. "I was going to suggest picking the lock." she says, "but this way was quicker. A blow that strong likely would have broken open the front doors." She wrinkles her nose at the smell. "Yes, let's find those tools fast so we can remove the hinges. That train won't wait forever." She stands ready to follow Jonathan into the office.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:56 am
by Charlie Hagan
Catching the smell, Charlie frowns. "Hold on a sec. You know I found some torn up notes upstairs, they painted an interesting picture. I think whoever's locked us up are the ones who wrote those notes, and they mentioned the smell of rancid butter, apparently it hwralds a woman the person who wtote the note was quite afraid of... I'm sure some of you will find this idea preposterous, but I have experience with such thing and..." He pauses for effect. "I believe these people have been driven mad by restless spirits."

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:57 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Thank you Mister Hagan," Frank thought, "People probably no longer think I am the craziest person in the station."

He stared at Hagan trying to even comprehend what Hagan was talking about.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:40 am
by Ritterton
Artemis leaned hard against the door looking at Jonathan, "Spirits or not, we need to figure out where the Station Master is, or where his tool box is in order to catch our train. Let's trying shoving this again Alden."

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 am
by Laraqua
The door opened about a foot before it hit the obstruction. A gentle shove should be able to move it, or someone could poke their head around when they open it next

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:51 am
by Ritterton
Artemis leaned into the door shoving hard against and pushing forward to where he could stick his head in to see into the room.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:07 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Thinking he might as well be useful, Frank picked up his case and walked toward the Station Master's Office. When he got halfway to the door, the smell Charlie Hagan had mentioned assaulted Frank's nose. He wrinkled his face and paused for a second trying to place the smell right as Artemis stuck his head into the office.
OOC:   In my earlier post when I said "...put everything back in his case..." I meant everything except my pistol and the extra magazines I had put in my pocket. Hopefully that was clear.  

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:24 am
by Laraqua
A fellow in Station Master uniform lies face down on the floor, sprawled out in the little office, one booted foot exactly where the door had bounced back before. He groans a little, shifting slightly at the rush of warm air, as the room he is in was quite chilled as though it were twenty degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler in there. The air also smells strongly of rancid butter mixed with some awfully strong perfume.

The little office contains a telegraph machine sitting on a desk by a fabric-protected window with a typewriter in the middle, some paper, and two ink stands and some lists to the right. A kettle sits on a little gas stove (unlit) on the filing cabinet in the corner. A filing cabinet stands at the other end of the long narrow room with a small key rack above it, post boxes line the back wall while policies and procedures in poster form, alongside a calendar and a clock are on the other wall. (To search the room you should really enter the appropriate thread, but may read both. To drag him out you can simply keep posting here.)
Chemistry Knowledge,the distinctive smell of rancid butter might actually signify Butyric acid which is a fatty acid occurring in the form of esters in animal fats. It's a medium-strong acid when undiluted that reacts with bases and strong oxidants, such as many metals. It is an oily, colorless liquid easily soluble in water, ethanol and ether and often used in food and perfume additives, and even as a fishing bait additive. Inhalation of butyric acid may result in soreness of throat, coughing, a burning sensation, and laboured breathing. Ingestion of the acid may result in abdominal pain, shock, and collapse. Physical exposure to the acid may result in pain, blistering and skin burns, while exposure to the eyes may result in pain, severe deep burns and loss of vision.
Chemistry or Medicine Knowledge,While there is no guarantee that the problem is chemical in nature, should the portable gas stove be leaking gas, it would be a dangerous and scent-free gas that could easily cause collapse and unconsciousness. While there is a way to tell it is only by looking at the man's face that you could be certain. The correct procedure for dealing with such a situation is to remove everyone from the building and open all windows and doors to ventilate the property (naturally with lights off for black out purposes). The gas in question is a heavy gas unlikely to affect the second storey. It can also cause a collapse in a single breath if it becomes dense enough.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:11 am
by Ritterton
"We found him, he needs a doctor." Artemis stepped over the prone man and into the chilly chamber. As he did so, he yelled back over his shoulder, "One of you guys get him out of this room, another come help me search this place for some tools."

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:46 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Responding to Artemis' call, Frank squeezes past, carefully takes the Station Master under the arms and slides him out of the room.

"Mr. O'Donoghue? Are you okay?"

Frank leans him up against a wall, and takes a minute (noticing if the person in uniform is not Mr. O'Donoghue) to check him for injuries, looks for blood, runs his hands over Mr. O'Donoghue's head to check for bumps, checks his eyes to see whether they seem to be focusing (if they are open).

Then loudly to the room he says "I am not a doctor, so if anyone else has any training that might help, feel free to step in."

Until someone else speaks up he continues trying to talk to the Station Master, asking him what happened, and continues to visually check for any injuries.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 am
by Laraqua
Is it Declan ODonoghue,yes it is though without his burn scars he cuts an attractive figure. Odd, though. There's no sign of the burn.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 am
by RhinoRat
OOC:  
Laraqua wrote:
Is it Declan O'Donoghue?,yes it is though without his burn scars he cuts an attractive figure. Odd, though. There's no sign of the burn.
The button isn't working!!!
I had spent a point for info about him, and I mentioned that I spent time trying to talk to him, so would that help me figure out if it is really him?  

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:01 am
by Laraqua
Rhinorat,this is what happens when you put a question mark in apparently. should be working now. Yes, if you (or anyone else) has reason to recognise him they can open that button and see.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:44 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie waits for the station master to be moved, eyeing him curiously, befire wentering the room.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate has been standing paralyzed, but she finally snaps out of it. "Put your gas masks on!" she shouts, already taking hers out of its cardboard box and strapping it onto her face as she hurries over to the fallen station master and kneels beside him, starting to examine him. She acts quickly now, in full professional mode. "That rancid butter smell is likely butyric acid. If he ingested it, that could have also caused him to collapse. Inhaling it's harmful too. Also, that gas stove could be leaking! He might have passed out from it. Someone check the stove. If there is a leak, we'll need to get everyone out and ventilate the building. That means turning off all of the lights and then opening all the doors and windows. Anyone still upstairs should be safe from the gas, it's heavy." She takes a breath, filtered through her mask. "I'm a nurse. If none of you lot is a doctor, I'll have to do." She takes out her first aid kit and tries to help the station master, examining him to see if his symptoms match those of exposure to butyric acid.
OOC,The spoiler button has an apostrophe in its title, which will prevent it from opening. One workaround is to Quote the post. Then you'll be able to see it all in the text box for posting a reply.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:03 am
by Laraqua
NOTE: Most first aiders in WW2 Britain would know that gas masks couldn't protect against household gas (so you may want to edit your post). However it might protect against the heavier gases like that emitted by butyric acid so wearing them may still be a good idea. Gas masks are heavy, sweaty, heat up, and get a lot of condensation from your saliva (ensuring the inside gets covered in spittle) so enjoy that. :twisted:

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:28 am
by Laraqua
A woman's voice calls out from upstairs. "Hey! Hey, help ... stuck in here!"

It sounds like Miss Ilona Aston.
Sense Trouble roll,what she actually said was "Hey! Hey, help us! We're stuck in here!"

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:54 pm
by Overlord87

Despite his earlier optimism, Jonathan is also starting to get worried as things get more and more crazy.

"Miss Lacey, it feels important to warn you that this person you're tending to is not the station master. I have no idea who he could be. Or why would he be dressed as the station master." Then he looks up to the ceiling. "Will go to the upper floor to check on Miss Aston".

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 am
by Ritterton
"Any luck with the Station Master?" Artemis asked aloud to the group as he and Charlie came back into the Waiting Room as he heard a woman yelling from the upstairs. "Is there someone upstairs? Who? We need to get everyone into one place and try to figure out this situation. We found a few things, but not tools or the like."

When he said "we" Artemis nodded over his shoulder to Charlie and pulled the time tables, the note and the silver medalion out and waived them to the group.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 am
by Laraqua
Miss Lacey,You can make a First Aid roll to rouse him properly and a Medicine spend to tell exactly what is wrong with him. He doesn't look about to die, at least, but he's not yet conscious. There's no bleeding, bumps or burns on him. Also no one else is wearing their gas masks.
When Frank initially checked him for injuries, he noticed no bleeding or bumps. (Sorry, missed that check.)

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 am
by RhinoRat
OOC:  
Laraqua wrote:A woman's voice calls out from upstairs. "Hey! Hey, help ... stuck in here!"

It sounds like Miss Ilona Aston.
Sense Trouble roll,what she actually said was "Hey! Hey, help us! We're stuck in here!"
So how does the Sense Trouble roll work? Do we have to roll? Or do we roll only if we want to know whether there is a problem upstairs?
I am thinking after Alden's comment and the missing burn scars that Frank would stay with Lacey since Alden was going upstairs. Can we just say that?  

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:02 am
by Laraqua
Regarding Sense Trouble rolls,they are used as Listen checks or an uncanny feeling that something is about to happen as much as anything else so if I call for them than it's best for everyone to do it. Some people's hearing is just better than others. Also it might be worth asking these questions and other out of character matters in the Chit-Chat thread. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for the warning," says Kate. "Whoever he is, I still have to treat him. I doubt he'll be much of a threat in his condition, but as long as someone stays with me I should be fine. Yes, definitely go upstairs and check on Miss Aston. She's stuck up there, and so is someone else from the sound of it. You should both be safer from gas up there." She sets to work diagnosing, reviving, and treating the man in the station master's uniform.
OOC,Sense Trouble roll: [dice]0[/dice] First Aid roll (3 points spent): [dice]1[/dice] I'm also spending 1 point of Medicine to diagnose him.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:43 am
by Laraqua
Medicine Point,It's not acid fumes which has gotten to him but simple lack of oxygen. Many of his symptoms play to a mild level of asphyxiation - severe grogginess, loss of consciousness, fact he's rousing and improving just by being out in better air. In other words, it's not the fault of either a toxic gas nor a gas that bonds to the oxygen in the bloodstream and prevents it from entering (carbon monoxide wouldn't clear so readily and he would continue to asphyxiate). If there is a gas at play it's one that either reacts with the oxygen in the air to remove it or is heavy enough to displace it higher in the room.... Though, really, if it weren't impossible, you'd have thought that there were no gas at all. Just a perilously low oxygen level like you get in high-altitudes .. or as though the oxygen had been denied to his lungs themselves at high enough rates to keep him alive. After all, no one else seems to be suffering. Now there's enough oxygen, he's coming around, though by putting him in a better position to assist his lungs to fill to capacity you can make the situation a quicker one indeed. On the plus side, oxygen deprivation is relatively quickly off-set -- presuming no brain damage has set in. Your actions will definitely help in this department, though you have to hold his head up and his body in a slightly more awkward position (for you) just in case there's now a heavy gas slinking along the bottom of this floor displacing all of the oxygen. It really would be a good idea to open some of the windows, or at least that front door.
The fellow sputters and moans a little, twitching and gibbering in a most unpleasant aspect in the nurse's arms as she holds him in a position that looks comfortable for him - but not for her - in order to keep his head off the ground for some strange reason.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:01 pm
by Charlie Hagan
AS Charlie returns behind Artemis he can't help but comment, "Ooh, he's not looking good there. Do ya need any help Miss Lacey?"

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank had been just standing, staring at the Station Master's face. Even the mention of gas and gas masks had not penetrated his current fog of thought.

The call from upstairs seemed to register, and he tried to focus on what could be happening there.
Sense Trouble Roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:54 pm
by Laraqua
Frank could hear the same phrase as everyone else did, but couldn't make out the missing words.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 pm
by Ritterton
"Ma'am, Kate, is he going to make it? Artemis asked the nurse who was holding the rescued man in her arms. "Charlie I think we should go upstairs to check out what is going on up there now. What about gas?"

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:18 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie nods and proceeds to bound up the stairs, "I reckon you two," he says to the other two men, "should stay down here though. Don't leave Lady Bathory and Miss Lacey alone."

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think he'll be okay," says Kate. "It wasn't gas after all that put him in this state, at least not directly, it was oxygen deprivation. The only thing I can think of is that the heavy gas must have displaced oxygen lower to the ground and pushed it higher, which is why I'm elevating him. Or maybe it binds the oxygen. His symptoms are similar to something high-altitude climbers might experience. If you want to help, I could use someone to assist me in keeping him propped up." She looks her patient in the eyes. "Easy, sir. Take gentle breaths, you're going to be just fine. Can you speak?"

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:38 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank snaps out of his fugue. He was just about to head upstairs to question Mr. Alden about his comment when Charlie Hagan headed upstairs while suggesting someone stay downstairs with the Countess and Miss Lacey. What Miss Lacey was saying began to sink in and Frank went to assist her.

"Certainly, Miss Lacey", Frank said regarding her request to prop up her patient. He knelt down near her and the Station Master.
"Perhaps we could sit him up on the bench?"

If Miss Lacey agrees, Frank slips his arm around the Station Master to help him up and slowly walks him to the nearest bench.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 am
by Ritterton
Artemis shook his head in more befuddlement than anything else at the news about gas. As Charlie bounded up the stairs, Artemis followed along as he realized that both Jonathan and Frank would remain below with the stirring man. He leaned onto his walking stick more out of habit, than need at this point. This is becoming stranger and stranger at every turn.

He worked his way up the stairs and looked about for Hagan.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:59 am
by Laraqua
He licks bluish lips, eyes rolling in his sockets as he struggles to focus. Then he yawns, and his head lolls limply in her arms. He'll likely pass in and out of consciousness for the next minute or two as he regains enough oxygen for proper brain function.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you, let's get him to the bench," says Kate, bringing the man to the bench with Frank's help. She lies him down on it carefully; at that height he should have no difficulty breathing. Once he is in position, she takes her gas mask back off and returns it to its box. "Phew, it feels good to get that off! I think we'll be all right from any gas as long as we're not lying down on the floor or something. He should be okay, but I'll keep an eye on him and see if I can find out what happened once he comes round. We also need to work on getting that door open, or at least some windows."

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:29 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Certainly, Miss Lacey. I am happy to help."
Frank hesitated for a second.
"Did you.....meet the Station Master earlier today? Had you seen him? Was his....", he asked seeming agitated.
"Can gas....can it cause....hallucinations? And....can it affect multiple people in the same way? Or similar ways?", Frank continued.
"What am I even saying?, Frank asked as he turned and walked a few feet away.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I've never seen the Station Master before," says Kate. "Some gases can cause hallucinations, but not the kinds that might be at play here. Butyric acid doesn't do that, and nor would any gas leaking from the stove. That kind of gas you can't even smell, which makes it all the more dangerous."

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:24 am
by Laraqua
Mechanical Repair Knowledge,it should be easy enough to check for a leak on the stove.

Declan O'Donoghue's eyes flutter open again and he mutters something in a low voice, fingers on one hand twitching and waggling as he does so. He seems to be struggling to wake up, fighting for consciousness, which suggests a man with a decent amount of willpower.
Any ONE person may lean in close to hear him speak,"Water ... filling me ... her smile ... filled me with water ... but all gone ... not s'posed to be here ... but train ... one more train left."

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate leans in close to hear what he has to say. "Did anyone check to see if the stove is leaking?" she asks. "If not, someone should do that. I'd do it myself, but I have to see to my patient." She focuses on Declan. "You're going to be all right, sir. How are you feeling? Did you just say you were filling with water? Drowning would explain what happened to you, except you were dry."

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 am
by Laraqua
He reaches for her face, fingers straining, though she's only a foot away it might as well be a mile. "Butter ... I don't ... she ... butter makes you drown!"

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:49 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank looked even more confused after Kate Lacey told him gases didn't cause hallucinations. But fearing that a leaky stove could make a bad situation even worse he decided that was the most immediate threat.

"All right, I am going to check the stove. Yell out if you have any problems and I will come running."
His eyes dart toward the stairs wondering what could be keeping the rest of the group. Maybe two of them could hit the door at the same time, or use one of the benches as a ram.

Frank briskly walked into the Station Master's office and began checking the stove.
Mechanic Roll,I am adding a 1 pt spend because I really don't feel like asphyxiating even though I am pretty sure the stove wasn't the problem. [dice]1d6 + 1[/dice] If Frank thinks there is a problem with the stove he will try to fix it (he has a Swiss Army Knife). If he does NOT think there is a problem he will spend a minute or two searching the room (listening for Kate), specifically looking for a map of the area as well as photos of Declan. After that he looks for anything out of the ordinary.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:54 pm
by RhinoRat
Trying the dice again....
Mechanic Roll,[dice]0[/dice]
And again....,[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   I don't know what is up with the dice roller. It kept telling me the roller didn't work so I kept retrying. Obviously take the first roll that you can see working, thanks!  

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That must be the butyric acid," says Kate. "I recognised the smell. Did someone force you to drink it somehow? You mentioned a smiling woman. What did she look like? Is she the one who did this to you?"

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:33 am
by Laraqua
Mechanical Repair roll,re-reading the books skills like Mechanical Repair are one of the few ones where you can just spend a point on occasion to do things like diagnosing a fault rather than making a roll if it's relatively simple. In terms of an investigative roll, you then don't need to spend a point because it would go under "if you have this skill you would pretty much just know" so you get to save your point. Sorry, I'm still new to this rule set. On the plus side, you can tell by looking the stove over that it has a full gas tank and isn't leaking at all. It doesn't really look like anything has been spilled around it either and the kettle fluid smells like water. The stink seems to be hanging in the air itself. It does make you feel light-headed being stuck in there, though.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:48 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Feeling light-headed and slightly nauseous, Frank cast one more quick look around the room (again mainly looking for local maps or photographs of the Station Master with burn scars) he grabbed anything that seemed like it would be of interest, then exited the office shutting the door behind him.

"Good news, Miss Lacey. The stove is not leaking. On the other hand, our Station Master's condition seems even more odd now that a likely explanation has been eliminated. And I will be honest, I was feeling a bit light-headed in their myself," Frank stated while walking toward Kate Lacey.

"So how's the patient? And what is keeping the group upstairs?"

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:18 am
by Laraqua
There's a lot of paperwork in the various drawers that might have some value. There are no maps -- such things were removed from railway stations when war was declared. There is the timetable and record of actual train arrival and departure dates ... though you already know that you were catching the last passenger train from this station for the night. The next one will come through at dawn. Some of the other papers in the various drawers might have value, but you'd need to sit down to go through them all unless you know what you're looking for (Library Use spend to gather clues blindly).

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's slowly recovering," says Kate. "Now that he has enough oxygen to breathe, he just needs time. Hopefully he wasn't deprived of oxygen long enough for brain damage to set in. It's good that the stove's not leaking, at least. The butyric acid must be causing the lightheadedness, as it's concentrated in the office. Anyone spending any time in there should wear a gas mask. My guess is my patient must have passed out and fell to the floor, where he couldn't get any oxygen because the butyric acid displaced it."

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:26 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"So what even is Butyric acid? Where does it even come from? How did it get in the room? Why that room and no where else? None of this makes any sense."

Frank paused for a second.

"Miss Lacey, I know we just met and I haven't given you much reason to trust me at this point, but there is something I must tell you. I have at times made a living as a photographer, and that is why I happened to stop at this station. The Station Master is a man of some repute in the photography world for both portraits and his haunting landscapes. But he is also known for pulling two servicemen out of a burning airplane, during which he sustained horrific burns. He did have surgery afterward, but he was left with scars on his face. I spoke with the Station Master several times earlier today and I would swear his face was scarred at that time. But look at him now! That is why I was asking about hallucinations, and I am guessing that is why Mr. Alden said this was not the Station Master!"

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"Butyric acid is a fatty acid that comes from animal fats that smells like rancid butter," explains Kate. "It's oily and colourless, and it dissolves easily in water, alcohol, or ether. It's used as an additive for all sorts of things: food, perfume, even fishing bait. When it's not diluted, it's a fairly strong acid. I don't know how it got here, but I'm guessing someone put it there, perhaps to incapacitate the Station Master - or whoever he is. You're the second person who knows of him and is sure he isn't this chap, so I'm inclined to believe it, especially considering that letter and everything that's happened since we got here."

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am
by Laraqua

"The angels ... in your eyes ... they're going to eat me, convex concavity," mutters the man, twisting his head this way and that as though struggling within the confines of his own dream. His hands twist into claws and his gaze settles on his nurse, intense in the manner of mania or madness. "Why? Why? Why do you eat[i/] them?" He grips her collar tightly, jerking her toward him. "The dust burns like glass. Never ... eat ... it!" Before falling limply back against the bench.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:05 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Hold on!", Frank yelled as the Station Master grabbed Kate Lacey's collar. But by the time Frank was able to grab the Station Master's wrist, he had fallen back against the bench.

Frank looked at Kate and asked "Is that normal behavior as an after affect of butyric acid? Or perhaps the 'dust' he spoke of was cocaine? Would that seem more likely? This whole situation is really quite frustrating. Regardless, perhaps if he seems to be doing better you should put a little more space between you and your patient."

"What could possibly be keeping them up there..." Frank wondered, once again looking toward the stairs.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate takes a step back in alarm when the man seizes her collar. "Thank you, sir," she says when Frank comes to her rescue, exhaling with relief. "Butyric acid doesn't cause these symptoms, but there are plenty of drugs that might. Or he could simply be mad." She examines her patient again, this time from a safe distance.
OOC,Can I use Pharmacy to determine if his behavior could be drug-induced?

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:01 am
by jimjam
Ilona bounds down the stairs and into the room. "I was told someone has the keys to the upstairs rooms down here? Oh my, is that man alright? Who is he? "

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:22 am
by Laraqua
Miss Lacey,knows her previous analysis is enough to identify that the man should be well-recovered by now and that brain damage wouldn't justify the erratic but well-pronounced words. Most likely he is suffering from some terrible mental shock. He is likely to recover if moved to a more comfortable location. This room is large, echoing and quite busy.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the question, Miss Aston," says Kate. "He's wearing the Station Master's uniform, but he's apparently not the Station Master. He's recovering physically, but I'm concerned about his mental state. He's rather incoherent. I hope the oxygen deprivation hasn't caused brain damage. That might account for his state of mind, but perhaps it's some sort of drug - or he could simply be sloshed! Don't go too near him. He grabbed my collar a moment ago. Any luck upstairs?"

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:58 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie slowly walks downstairs and in a voice lacking his usual bravado says, "There's a key in the bathroom... There's a key in a dead rat's mouth in the bath tub of the bathroom... and there's something in the water. They were feeding it." He visibly shudders.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:21 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Wait...uh....what? What was in the water? What were they feeding?", Frank asked visibly stiffening and looking rattled.
He would have accused Charlie Hagan of being drunk, but something in the man's demeanor made Frank realize he was dead serious.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 am
by jimjam
Ilona closes her eyes, takes a deep shuttering breath and turns to face Charlie. "Do you know what the key is for?" She says, choosing to pay no mind to the disturbing parts of what Charlie had said. Without waiting for a response she turns to the other two again.
"I managed to open the window upstairs, the men are tieing together sheets to make a rope to climb out... Do we have a key to the other rooms? I was told someone down here had one..."

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know anything about a key, nor why we should need one," says Kate. "If we can get out a window, that's great! Plus, whoever goes down the rope could just remove the chains from outside. Whoever this chap is, he should be fully recovered by now. I don't think he's got brain damage. He pronounces all the words perfectly, they just...don't make much sense when spoken in that combination. I think he's just in shock. We should move him somewhere comfortable and less busy. Let's get him upstairs."

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 am
by Laraqua
It would be difficult to carry a man upstairs in a comfortable fashion without a stretcher. Especially with two young ladies (who are hardly labourers) doing the carrying with only one gentleman to assist. It would be far easier to move him somewhere about this very floor. Of course with a difficult Athletics check it would nonetheless be possible to take him up the stairs. As he's otherwise uninjured, it's not like they can hurt him ... unless he awakens partway up the steps and struggles overmuch. Always a risk.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie narrows his eyes at the man on the ground. "He's probably the one who burnt out those fucking rat's eyes in the first place. He's mad, right? How do we know he isn't dangerous?"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:26 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Hang on now. How long has the train been out there? Isn't it odd that no one out there has come to the door and unchained us? Or at least pounded on the door? Are we sure we WANT to go out there? Even if there were no passengers wouldn't the train conductor expect the Station Master to pop out when the train shows up? What could possibly be going on out there?"

He turned and took a couple steps away. Then he turned back and asked "What if one or two people go out the window to see what is going on, and unchain or unblock the door while they are out there? That would be easier than trying to get all of us out and down safely, right? Once the doors are open the rest can just walk out if things are safe."

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:03 am
by jimjam
"Well yes. I-I believe that's the plan. Where did this man come from? I don't suppose he came from outside... What if the station master is in a poor state in one of the locked rooms upstairs?"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"On second thought," says Kate, "I don't think we can manage those stairs with him. Let's find somewhere else on this floor where he'll be comfortable. Perhaps the Ladies' Waiting Room, if there's nobody already inside, but that may be too big as well. The restrooms don't have anywhere he could lie down. Perhaps the restaurant, but it's locked. We don't know if he's dangerous or not. He did grab my collar a bit back, but he didn't hurt me, just startled me. I think he was trying to warn me. He was saying the dust burns like glass, and never to eat it."
OOC,He's lying on a bench, not the floor.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:57 am
by Laraqua
A small and dark ante-chamber is built into the room from the front doors to keep the light from inside from spilling out. The curtain at one end has been thrown askew, revealing the door which is chained from the outside. The room itself is quite wide with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors (one broken inward and then mainly closed, though still hanging ajar) and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office (broken door) and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

Four of the would-be passengers are standing around a man in station master's uniform who lays upon one of the benches.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.
Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge,These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 am
by Charlie Hagan
"Well, I guess the best we can do is keep an eye on him. I suppose if we had some sort of net or something someone could fish out that key... The train still being here is definitely weird." Coming back to his usual self, Charlie grins, "At least it isn't freezing in here, thank God for small mercies."

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:36 pm
by jimjam
"Oh there has to be another key around somewhere! I'll leave you to get the one out of the bath tub, whatever that might be for, I'll look around elsewhere." Ilona says impatiently as she heads towards the station masters door. "The train might be delayed but it won't wait forever!"

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"If you're going in there," Kate warns Ilona, "make sure you put a gas mask on first. There's a strong concentration of butyric acid in the office. That may have contributed to this man's current state. Not the madness, but it could have made him collapse."

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:06 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"All right, how long is it going to take them upstairs? Do we want out? Maybe we see whether Mr. Hagan and I can ram open the door using one of these benches?"

Then he turned to Ms. Aston and said, "I am sorry Miss, what do you need a key for? What are you trying to open?"

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:17 am
by jimjam
"Oh, I want to open the doors upstairs... I dont think I brought my gas mask." Ilona says as she rummages through her purse. "Oh it must be in my luggage outside. I'm sure I'll be fine if I'm not in there long... right? "

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Here, you can borrow mine," Kate says. holding out her cardboard box with her gas mask, '"I had it on for a bit before, but I wasn't sick in it or anything."

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:16 am
by jimjam
"Thanks." Ilona takes Miss Lacey's gasmask and puts it on before heading into the Station Master's office.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"I just... need to clear my head, excuse me." Charlie makes his way to the men's lavatory.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:23 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"This is the most ridiculous situation I have ever been in", Frank thought to himself as he watched people scurry here and there. Gasmasks on....gasmasks off...gasmasks on...rushing about like mad men and women. No one seemed aware of the concept of safety in numbers and people kept insisting on leaving and heading off to do their own thing. First there was talk of sabotage and cultists, and now they were treating the Station Master, an apparent victim of this whole ridiculous affair as if he was the enemy. Not that Frank wasn't keeping an eye on him too, but more because the situation had clearly unhinged the Station Master than any thought that he was part of the plot, or attack, or whatever was going on.

Frank felt that he was making Miss Lacey uncomfortable, but he didn't dare leave her alone with her patient. Or with Mr. Hagan for that matter. Perhaps giving her a bit of room would help put her at ease.

Walking over to the bottom of the steps, while still keeping an eye on the apparent invalid, Frank yelled up, "Hey, is everything alright up there?"

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am
by jimjam
Ilona steps back into the room, pulling the gas mask off as she does so.
"I have the keys, I'll go up and open those doors." She awkwardly squeezes past Frank instead of asking him to move

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Kate, retrieving the gas mask. "We'll stay here and keep an eye on my patient."

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 am
by Laraqua
There is no response to Frank's enquiry for at least a couple dozen seconds.

Most frustrating.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:53 am
by Laraqua
Heard from upstairs by those near the stairwell,Artemis' voice "Countess, he's outside on the platform. Maybe you could run down and let folks know in the waiting room that we have a way of getting out of the building if we want or need to do so."

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:05 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Miss Lacey", Frank said in an even tone so he wouldn't startle her, "It sounds like they were able to get someone outside, so if we hear the rattling of chains, or pounding on the door, it is likely a friend. We might be out of this nightmare before we know it."

But he couldn't help but feel like getting outside might be worse than staying in the relative safety of an enclosed area.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is good news," says Kate with a grin. "Once they get the chains off, please help me with him so we can get him outside. I think some fresh air might do him good. I know it will me."

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:59 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"Ah, excellent, hopefully we can still get on the mysteriously still present train." Charlie says as he returns from the bathroom, his timidity forgotten and a grin plastered back onto his face. "Though I do not have a ticket, obviously."

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:43 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank gives Charlie a wry look and says "I was just commenting on the fact that it is odd the train is still here, but no one has come to investigate our situation."

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that is decidedly odd," says Kate. "I'm sure you'd be allowed to buy a ticket on the train, Mr. Hagan, but are you sure you still want to? We need to warn the people on the train of the danger, of course, but it would be risky to actually ride the train. On the other hand, it may not be safe staying here either."

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"What danger?", Frank wondered, "What would we be warning them about? Is the danger on the train? Or is the danger in staying here? There are two reasons people chain doors. To keep things out, or to keep things in. And sometimes people chain doors to keep things in for their own good. What are the chains for in this situation?"

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"That''s right, you weren't here earlier," says Kate. She takes out the letter and shows it to him. "Mr. Hagan found this amongst the saddlery. It was a warning intended for someone unknown. I don't know whether it would be more dangerous to remain here or to take the train, but there's also the option of doing neither once we get out of here and going back into town. I don't know why were locked in here, but I think it was to keep us from interfering with something. Say, did anyone ever use the telegraph in the Station Master's office to alert someone and get the Home Guard out here? My guess is whoever chained the doors also cut the telegraph line, but it's worth a try."

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 am
by Laraqua
The letter:

The ink is faded though the paper appears pristine and brand new. It is quite a short read: You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةIf you are reading this than it may not yet be too late. Know that you are not the first and that, for the war to end, you will not be the last either. The train will arrive at 8:30 but it is essential that you miss that train and return home as soon as you are able. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةThe longer you linger in the station before that point, the more difficult it will be to escape. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة I came here to help arrange matters and to assist with the vital preparations necessary to allow the glory of Great Britain to succeed and I have willingly and gratefully assisted my Egyptian allies in fighting off the Nazi threat but their methods are cruel and You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:57 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Thanks Miss", Frank said as he finished rereading the letter and handed it back to her, "but I did have a chance to look at it already. I am afraid that is part of what made me a bit jumpy earlier."

"Miss Lacey, you seem to be a very independent woman. I mean, very sure of yourself, and intelligent. I mean that in a good way. Do you understand any of the mess that has been going on? I have been around and seen lots of things in the world. Wars...killing...disasters...and they all made a lot more sense than what is going on here."

Frank hesitated then spoke again, "One more thing Miss Lacey. About the Station Master. I know I mentioned his scars, or lack of scars. And I know Mr. Alden said this wasn't the Station Master. But....I think it is him. I think somehow his scars were healed. What other explanation is there?"

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, sir," says Kate, returning the letter to her handbag. "I don't fully understand what's happening, but if this letter is to be believed, it's all to do with the war. My best guess is that there's some act of sabotage underway involving the train, which would explain why it hasn't left yet, and why nobody has come to investigate the station's doors being chained up and the Station Master's absence." She examines her patient's face. "It's difficult to heal scars, but it is medically possible. Skin grafts are one way I can think of. We use them to heal people who have survived being burned. However, with a skin graft there would be evidence of the graft - some sort of discontinuity between the original skin and the grafted skin. There's no way it would be completely undetectable. Where exactly were his scars?"

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie, deciding not to interrupt their conversation, checks to make sure his bags are in order then heads into the booking office.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:20 am
by Ritterton
Artemis walked down the steps leading back down to the waiting room. His walking stick tapping out a steady rhythm to his descent back to the larger group. When he came to base of the stairs, he looked about trying to determine who remained downstairs knowing that Aston and the Countess were still upstairs.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 pm
by Laraqua
Kate and Frank stand near the unconscious station master. There's no sign of Mr. Hagan, though the door to the station master's office is a little more ajar than usual.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:16 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Mr. Richter", Frank said, noticing as the man came back down the stairs, "What's going on upstairs? I thought someone was supposed to be outside opening the door?"

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:44 pm
by Ritterton
"Sir, I can hapoly report that Jonathan is outside on the platform and has been fir some time. " Richter remained standing at the base of the stairs as he spoke. "However, after descending from the upstairs via the rope we made, he found the doors chained and locked. He said the train was stopped as well.

Artemis then walked to where the two were standing. He loward his voice and said, "the upstairs is in a state of disarray, and both ladies seem rather affected by the place. Ms. Aston wants to leave right this moment through the same window. I just came down to let you know that something odd has been going on this place before we stepped in. "

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:45 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

"Was there anyone on the train that he could see? Anyone getting off to investigate why there is no activity at the station? Maybe the whole situation has me weirded out, but should some of us fellows go check the train before we put the ladies in a potentially dangerous situation? And we can't leave the station master, so should we write a note for when we leave with the train and someone comes tomorrow wondering what is going on?"

Frank finished his tirade of questions and noticed he was actually feeling a bit more relaxed now that an exit had been found. He didn't feel as much like the proverbial rat in a trap, and even if there was danger outside it would be better than sitting here with no options.

Frank continued after a brief pause, "I know Mr. Hagan mentioned some dead rats upstairs that sounded like they had been tortured. Do you think we should take photographs as evidence of whatever is going on here? I have my camera right here. I think if we show up with a mentally disturbed station master, with stories of the door being chained, the authorities might have some serious questions for us."

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:11 am
by Ritterton
"Pictures could be helpful of some of the rooms, as it does appear that some pretty strange things are happening, Mr. Durant. But, I am uncertain whether we should even think of getting on that train if I remember the letter we found correctly." Artemis shrugged and shook his head. He let out a loud, audible sigh. " I think we could get back upstairs and call down to Jonathan to see what he has discovered. Ms. Aston was pretty adament about leaving the building, and she may have already. The Countess was just following us about."

He looked about and still hadn't seen Charlie.

"I don't see Charlie, and I think we should talk a bit more about what he saw up there. I also am curious if anyone has tried opening the locked doors down here to see if there are any other clues as to what has been going on."

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie leans out of the booking office and sheepishly asks, "Is it three dots for an S or three dashes?"

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 pm
by Ritterton
"I think three dots, then three dashes, but I haven't had to think about that in years, Charlie." Artemis responded. "Charlie, we got a rope tied, Jonathan is outside already, and said the train isn't doing anything at all. Not sure, but something is really odd upstairs."

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 pm
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Now that things seemed to be settling down, Frank's curiosity was getting the best of him.

"No idea on the dots and dashes. But I haven't been upstairs yet, so what exactly do you mean by odd? I know there was talk of dead rats, and cultists, but what exactly are we dealing with?" Frank asked before pausing to catch his breath.

"And maybe if one of you would stay with Miss Lacey and the Station Master here, to make sure he doesn't have another episode, the other one could come upstairs with me to show me what you are talking about, and I can take some pictures as evidence for when we get out of this mess."

As he was talking he bent down and opened his case, pulled out his camera and a few rolls of film, and relocked his case.
If you peer into his case,If you try to peak in you see a few packs of cigarettes, a cigar case, more film, some cloth, some books....nothing too exciting or valuable looking.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:21 pm
by Ritterton
"Well, I agree we should check back upstairs. Do we want to try to leave the building or search about down here? Anyone open the restaurant? Anyway, I do think getting some pictures makes sense, too. " Artemis paused, shifted his weight onto his walking stick for a moment. Actually, Frank, it might make sense to also snap a few pictures of those of us here... that way we have that too. As to upstairs, the room with the rope is covered in clothes of all types and styles. Someone papered the floor with the bible, and the bed...um...uh..." Artemis noticeably cringed and shivered at the thought of it and the wardrobe. "One of the rooms is rather well kept, ... eally odd.

"Yea, some pictures might make a lot of sense. We can also yell down to Jonathan to see what is going on on the platform. You know, it's kinda odd that the Countess hasn't come back down here. Artemis turned and looked back up behind him taking the time to turn on the flashlight and waive it about the stairwell.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:40 am
by Laraqua
The stairwell is cast in gloom from being set back on the wall beside the fireplace but even without the flashlight he can tell that it is empty. So why does it feel so ominous? Why do the shadows take on a life of their own when he casts his flashlight away from it? Almost as though there were someone there, crouched and waiting, enjoying his discomfort. He can almost smell the scent of rancid butter ... though perhaps that's from the Station Master's office.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:24 am
by Ritterton
Artemis couldn't see anything in the darkness, nor in the slice of light from the flashlight. But, something was there, the hairs on his neck told him something was there in the shadows, or it seemed to be. The odd odor didn't help and he had that feeling that he had gotten in the trenches in France, during that one odd visit to NYC when Jackson had been killed, and when he was in Berlin for the Olympics. Something bad was a foot, he needed to be cautious, calm, and focused.

"Charlie, hey if you are done in there, Frank and I are thinking two of us should head back upstairs to see if we can talk to Jonathan outside, and check on the ladies up there. Do you want to join us? Artemis raised his voice towards the door where he had seen Charlie vanish back into earlier. "Ms. Kate, do you think we could leave him and see if we want to all climb out of this place and onto the platform with the rope?"

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:19 pm
by Charlie Hagan
Swinging the door shut behind him, Charlie returns, "Hm? Yeah sounds good. Best not to leave them alone too long. Just one question for the pretty nurse." He turns to Kate and casually asks, "that buttery gas, how bad of a sign is it that I'm getting a headache?"

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can't leave him here!" protests Kate. "We'll never get him up the stairs either, so we've got to get those doors open. If we had some tools, we could remove them from the inside, but if people are already out there, they might be able to get the chains off more quickly, either by breaking or picking the lock." She smiles at Charlie "Thank you, Mr. Hagan. You should recover from the butyric acid exposure, just don't expose yourself to it any further. If you go back into the booking office, wear your gas mask. Is the telegraph actually working? I'd have thought cutting the lines would be the first thing saboteurs would do. I know a bit of Morse code. My brother's in the Royal Navy, and he taught me. S is three dots, and O is three dashes. With that, you could at least send SOS. Better still, get them to send the Home Guard. Also, I know that V is three dots and a dash, like the opening notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. V for victory."

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 am
by Laraqua
There's the sound of heavy footsteps in the corridor above. Almost as though a bowling bowl were being dropped upon the ceiling, one step, than the other, slowly and steadily making its way down.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate gasps, putting a hand to her chest. "Who the devil is that?!" she cries. "I thought only Miss Aston and the Countess were still up there, and those sure don't sound like a lady's footsteps. They could be in danger!"

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:29 am
by Ritterton
At the sounds, Artemis stepped backwards waving the flash light ahead of him as he did so trying to get a sense of what that sound was and what was it that was coming down the stairs.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 am
by Laraqua
The stairwell is empty. No sign of anyone there. But as he flashes his light about, the footsteps break into a zig-zagging run upstairs, ending in the sound of shattering glass and a woman's high-pitched scream.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:00 am
by Ritterton
"What the hell was that? Frank, bring your gun, we have to see what that was!" With the flashlight in his right hand, and his left hand firmly grasping the silver knob of his walking stick, Artemis ascends the stairs quickly. "Countess, Ms. Aston, what happened? Are you alright? Where are you?

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:40 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Frank jumped at the sound of glass shattering. His eyes went to the stairwell. He was barely drawing his pistol and starting to move by the time Artemis had reached the bottom of the steps and shouted to him. Frank stopped at the bottom of the steps himself once Artemis moved started ascending the stairs and yelled out "Drop to the floor if you want me to start shooting."

As Artemis moves out of the stairwell into the hall Frank follows him up a few steps at a time, still covering with his pistol.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate shudders when she hears the breaking glass and the scream. "I'll stay here and watch the Station Master," she says. "I'll be fine, go help them!" She's just as relieved that she doesn't have to go with them. Frank has a gun and Artemis has his hefty walking stick, but she'd be of little use in a fight - and she's downright terrified. I just hope Miss Aston and the Countess are okay, she thinks.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 am
by Charlie Hagan
"I'm not leaving you alone with him, Miss. Besides, I'd just get in the way up in that tight corridor." Charlie's voice is reassuring, though really he's trying to calm himself more than he is Kate. "Besides," he flashes her a smile and switches to a cavalier tone, "being the last line of defence for you makes me look pretty heroic." He positions himself between Kate and the stairwell, keeping an ear out for what's going on upstairs.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Charlie's grin is infectious, for Kate manages a smile of her own. "I do appreciate your chivalry," she says, "but he doesn't look like much of a threat at the moment. I'm not in danger right now, and they are."

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:45 am
by Laraqua
There's a few shouts from upstairs, of the "Miss Aston where are you?" sort of variety. No gunfire yet. It is nice and cozy down here, at least, with the warm and crackling fire and the lovely paintings along the wall. Shame about all of the stress and strangeness.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"She might have gone out the window," suggests Kate to Charlie. Then a thought occurs to her. "With the scream and the breaking glass, she might have been thrown out the window!"

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:14 am
by Charlie Hagan
The grin drops from Charlie's face and he runs upstairs.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:13 pm
by Laraqua
There's shouts from upstairs. Not frightened and panicky shouts, but calls to and fro. She can't make out their words, though she can make out Hagan in the corridor above asking where everyone is. The room is warm and comfortable and lit well enough to make all the strange and bizarre events of the night seem so very far away. In here one can almost pretend that everything is fine and that everyone else is overreacting. Funnily enough not even that rancid buttery smell penetrates the very niceness of this room. Yet she hears a noise behind her, coming from the restaurant door. A tapping at the frosted glass.... A rattling of the door.... The man, the alleged station-master-who-isn't, groans in his sleep, features twisting in a look of misery and loss even in his sleep.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hello?!" calls Kate, moving up to the door and trying to peer through the glass to get a look at whoever is on the other side. "Who's in there?"

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:09 am
by Laraqua
Roll Sense Trouble TN 5 and read if successful,There's the sound of footsteps moving back and forth behind the door and a heavy primal breathing that sends a shiver up and down her spine. What is that noise? And why does it sound so ... inhuman? Finger nails scrape the metal of the door, lightly, so as to almost pass unheard, yet the scrapes seem too sharp to come from a human nail. No, surely that's a silly line of thought and yet ... and yet she can be sure that whoever stands opposite this door means her harm.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Shuddering, Kate turns and runs away from the restaurant door to the base of the stairs. "There's someone behind the locked restaurant door!" she calls up the stairs. "Someone horrible!"
OOC,Sense Trouble roll (spending 3 points): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 am
by Laraqua
The door handle rattles again, urgently, as though inspired by the sudden sound of her voice.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie rushes back down the stairs, followed by Artemis. "Miss Lacey, we have a way out." He keeps his eyes on the restaurant door.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm
by Laraqua
The door is silent and still.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:15 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis followed down the stairs behind Charlie taking a bit longer than his colleague. As he came down to the bottom of the stairs, he paused. "What is going on down here? We need to get out of the building. Ms. Aston said that this guy here is not the Station Master."

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's good there's a way out," says Kate, lowering her voice so as not to alert whoever is on the other side of the restaurant door, "but what about the Station Master? Whoever he is, we can't leave him here. He'll be helpless. I suppose we could risk carrying him upstairs, but then we'd have to find a way to get him outside."

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie runs a hand through his hair, "Okay, I'll go out and see if I can open this door from the outside. Whoever's in the restaurant. it looks like they're not getting out any time soon, but I'll send Mr. Durant down just in case, sound like a plan?"

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate nods. "That sounds good to me," she says. "Getting that door open from the outside is our best bet. While we're waiting, maybe one of us can try the telegraph to call for help. The wires are probably cut, but it might be worth a try."

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:18 am
by Ritterton
"I wonder if we could elevate him here on a bench, and then get all of us outside to see what is going on. I say Frank and I could leave here last. Now what was going on in the restaurant." Artemis looked about and at the door the restaurant as he spoke.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 am
by Charlie Hagan
"I sent an S.O.S, no idea if it worked or not." Charlie says as he yet again makes his way back upstairs.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 pm
by Ritterton
"Charlie, I will see if Ms. kate and I can get this man in a better location and then we can come on up. Ms. Kate, where should we put him?"Artemis moved to the foot of the prone man and looked about for a bench or couch that would work for the man.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 pm
by Laraqua
A small and dark ante-chamber is built into the room from the front doors to keep the light from inside from spilling out. The curtain at one end has been thrown askew, revealing the door which is chained from the outside. The room itself is quite wide with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors (one broken inward and then mainly closed, though still hanging ajar) and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office (broken door) and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

Places to Go:

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
[Image

"We can sit him up on a bench," says Kate, moving behind the man's head so she can help carry him by reaching under his arms. "It might be best to use the one nearest the door. That way we can get him out of here quickly once the others open the door from outside. But what if whoever's in the restaurant manages to get out before the door's open? Maybe near the stairs would be better."

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis walked over and placed his walking stick against the bench that Kate had indicated. He spun on his heel and returned to help her lift the prone man. "I think we need to get him near that door and then get ourselves out there on the platform. We should be able to find a way in from the outside. I am not certain I would leave him upstairs in the room with the rope though. Something odd happened there for certain."

Artemis bent down and pushed his arms and hands underneath the man's back and shoulders lifting him off the floor and began to move him towards the bench allowing for Kate t grab the man's feet to help if she was so inclined.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate moves around the unconscious man and helps carry him by the legs.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 pm
by Ritterton
Once they had the man well positioned on the available bench, Artemis turned to look over the room again and spent a brief second paused at the restaurant door. He turned back to kate and said, "Now let's join Charlie and Frank so we can get all of us out of here and back onto the platform. "

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:05 am
by RhinoRat
Frank Durant

Once Artemis had retreated downstairs Frank waited a second listening for any pursuit. After hearing nothing he quickly stumbled backwards, through the hall, and down the stairs the whole time keeping his gun trained upwards (but aware that the women might still be around).

Emerging at the bottom of the stairs he said "When are we getting out of here?"

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:30 am
by Ritterton
"on our way now, let's get Ms. Kate out first them you and I can go after her. " Artemis responded as he met Frank at the bottom of the stairs. "did you see the Countess up there while we were gone? "

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can't just leave him unattended," says Kate. "Someone needs to stay with him until we get that door open, or he could be in danger. I don't think his medical condition will get worse, so it doesn't have to be me. I'll head upstairs first. When I get there, which way do I go to get outside?"

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:33 pm
by Ritterton
"Ms. Kate, they are saying outside that he isn't the Station Master. I think we need to get all of us outside and together to figure out what is going on." Artemis waits for her to go ahead of him as he speaks. "You need to head up to Room Two, Charlie should be up there. Still don't understand where the Countess got off to in this place."

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever he is," says Kate, "we can't just leave him alone and unconscious. He could be killed! One of you has got to stay with him until we can get the front doors open, and then we can bring him outside. I'll keep an eye out for the Countess. Maybe you couldn't find her because she's already outside." Kate heads up the stairs.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis watched the woman ascend the stairs and turned back to Frank. "Frank, I am of the mind that we either take him up with us, easier said than done, I suspect. Or, we head up and out and try to come back in from the outside to pull him out. Another thought is that we find a window down here that we could break and pull him through."

Artemis scanned the room to see if any of the covered windows might be wide enough to break open push the prone man through.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:20 am
by Laraqua
There aren't many windows in this room which is surrounded by other rooms on three sides. The front area as quite narrow windows which could fit a conscious man of his size without too much difficulty but which would be difficult to manoeuvre an unconscious body without harm. Especially since there'd likely be glass remaining. It is certainly possible.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:15 am
by Ritterton
Seeing no really good option in the waiting room, Artemis turned back to the stairs and climbed up to the hall on the second floor. He turned to Frank and said, "let's get outside, and then find a way to get back into the building to get that man out as well."

As he ascended the stairs he shouted upstairs, "Charile, help Ms. Kate out the window, we are coming up to talk about what the three of us should do next."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 am
by Ritterton
Artemis moved down the stairs and stood at the bottom stair, he aimed the beam of light about the waiting room. "Now, Miss Kate, where should we be focusing our attention down here?"

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try to do this gradually," says Kate. "We don't want to make more noise than necessary, or he might react unpredictably. I'll take it a bit at a time and stop as soon as I've got his attention." She starts by rapping on the restaurant door.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 am
by Laraqua
The battering at the other door stops and all goes quiet for a long moment...

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hey, you in there!" calls Kate through the door.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:16 am
by Ritterton
Artemis looked about as Kate talked. He wanted to check on the man they had left down here to see if he had revivied. His attention was pulled back to Kate when she called out to whoever was on the other side of the closed door to the restaurant.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:47 am
by Laraqua

An unconscious man lies where they had left him.

Places to Go:

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate listens at the door to try to determine if whoever is in there is nearby. If she can't hear anything, she pounds louder on the door.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:45 am
by Laraqua
There's a heavy dragging step that moves toward the door, the dragging part sounding human enough but the other step has a a heavy wet sound like meat slapping against the ground than a normal human step. Then there's the sound of wooden table legs dragging across the ground as something forces its way past. Then the clatter of chain hitting the ground outside, and the person in the restaurant charges the outer door and slams up against it. Doesn't sound like the door burst open, but one more hit like that is bound to break it open.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

Kate shrinks back from the door in terror and goes over to where the Station Manager, or whoever he is, lies unconscious. "No more noise," she whispers to Artemis. "Let's get ready to get him out of here."
OOC,Was it the door I was knocking at that got hit, or was it the other door leading outside?

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm
by Ritterton
"Fine, fine," Artemis gulped and turned to help Kate trying to process the sounds that he had heard coming from the restaurant. He tried looking upstairs to see if anything had changed up there.

"What did you discover outside?" Artemis asked as they worked to lift the prone man into a position that they each could drag the man out of the building.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:38 pm
by Laraqua
The noises quite clearly rammed up against the external door. The man, himself, wouldn't be too heavy but he is completely a dead weight and that makes him far harder to carry. He is still alive, though, as he mumbles incoherently as they move his body into position.

Two Athletics rolls, please. Remember you can spend to boost the roll.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 pm
by Ritterton
Spoiler:
Ok, athletics - spending a point on it [dice]0[/dice] assuming when you said two you meant for the two of us to roll just once. IF you wanted two such rolls, here you be...but the second without a point. [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate picks up the slack to try to make up for Artemis's weakness, adrenalin fueling her. "I found Miss Aston's coat outside," she whispers, "bloody and abandoned with something small moving under it. Mr. Hagan found the body of a woman in a yellow dress on the roof of the shed, but she wasn't Miss Aston."
OOC,Atheltics roll (3 points spent): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:16 am
by Ritterton
Artemis tried to lift the man, but his leg gave way and he spent more time trying not to fall on his own. He grimaced and sighed heavily as he tried to help Ms. Kate with the man. But, all he really did was try to not trip her or himself.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47 am
by Laraqua
Neither of them do particularly well in lifting him but Artemis' arms are far more trembling and it's all he can do to keep from dropping him entirely. They can move him, but slowly, and certainly not upstairs without dropping him.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate glances over at Frank, on the stairs. "Can you help?" she asks. "We've got to get him upstairs and somehow lower him out the window. Mr. Hagan will never be able to get the chains off from outside, and without tools we can't remove the doors from inside."
OOC,I spent three Athletics, but you only marked off one on my character sheet. Also, you never marked off the three points of Sense Trouble I spent.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 am
by Laraqua
Frank headed to the bottom of the stairs. "All right, I will cover from the bottom of the steps. Artemis, grab the Station Master. Miss Kate, shine your light on anything that moves or makes noise. Once the Station Master gets to the steps you two get him upstairs and I can start banging around before I head up after you. Sound like a plan?"

Another slither of chain before it slaps against the platform outside. A short moment of terrible silence, than a great weight crashes against the external restaurant door. They can hear the wood buckle and shatter beneath the weight as whatever was inside the restaurant goes out onto the platform.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:32 am
by Ritterton
"We need to move out of this place and try to figure out how to get him out of here." Artemis glanced back at the restaurant section and he pushed at the back of the prone man being dragged by Kate and Frank. Artemis headed up the stairway behind the others.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 am
by Laraqua
Artemis finds he can't maintain the weight of the fellow while going backwards up the stairs. Perhaps it's all of the fear, or perhaps this man is heavier than he looks, but he just can't quite hold him right. It doesn't help that the fellow is completely limp.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:38 am
by Ritterton
After the second near slip off the stairs, Artemis turned to Frank, "Can you help buddy, the war wound makes it nearly impossible for me to help Miss Kate." His embarassment was pretty easy to see, but Artemis focuse don getting himself up the stairs.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"He broke out of the restaurant and got out to the platform," says Kate, shaking her head and holding back tears. "It was my fault. I thought making noise at the other door would bring him towards it, but instead...I can manage carrying him, with some help. We'll have to rig up some sort of harness to lower him from the window, unless the fresh air coming through it is enough to revive him. We could get out through the restaurant instead, but then we could run into that bloke." She works with Frank to carry the unconscious man.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 am
by Laraqua
There's another slamming thud somewhere out on the railway station platform. The Station Master groans and thrashes slightly in their hands, forcing them to struggle with his weight in motion.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you grab the saddlery?" Kate asks Artemis. "If we can strap him in, we can use that as the harness so we can lower him."

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 am
by Ritterton
"Sure, sure, that could help. I think." Artemis turned about before he got beyond the second or third step and walked back to the bench with the saddle. He grabbed the saddle horn and slid his other arm and hand underneath the back of the saddle. It was a bit awkward, but it was lighter than the prone man, and if he didn't rush himself, he should be able to make it up the stairs.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Not sure if it is needed but figured,ok, while I am here put in a dice roll just in case.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:02 am
by Laraqua
Artemis picks up the saddlery quietly enough to prevent any loud noises or jangles, and then hurries light-footedly back to the others.
Dice roll,works for a good stealth check to avoid attention outside.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I get the man upstairs if [b]Frank[/b] helps me carry him?

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 am
by Laraqua
OOC,let's see. On a successful dice roll, yes. Getting an unconscious body upstairs isn't as easy as it sounds as it's all limp and heavy. If you had a board you could tie him to it would be easier. Frank just needs to roll a 4 for simple difficulty. I'd roll for him but he may wish to spend Athletics points.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is [b]Frank[/b]'s player still around? I've been waiting to see if he'll help.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:25 am
by Laraqua
"Help!" cries Artemis from upstairs.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate sets down the man she is carrying at the foot of the steps. She doesn't like leaving him alone, but she has to do what she can for Artemis, and she hopes she'll be able to come back for the unconscious man later. She is already racing up the stairs before she realizes that Artemis may be calling not merely because he is injured, but because he is in danger.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:32 am
by Laraqua

There is no sign of either Frank or the unconscious man.

Places to Go:

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate takes one look around, sees that nobody is here, and heads back upstairs.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:44 pm
by Laraqua

Places to Go:

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate steps into the waiting room. "Looks clear," she says, taking out her gas mask and putting it on in preparation for going into the ticket office.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 am
by Overlord87

Jonathan walks inside and slumps on one of the benches, covering his face with his hands.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:11 pm
by Laraqua
It's hard to know just how cold it is, how much the cool air gets beneath your skin and drains you of all your warmth, until you enter the waiting room and feel the comforting warmth from the fireplace surround you once more. You feel a little more alive, though you're aware of how cold you are. You feel yourself start to warm up, though it makes you shiver and your skin goose pimple. Despite your coats, you have the feeling that it's much colder out there than you realised and that it probably isn't healthy to spend too much time away from the warmth.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 am
by Ritterton
Artemis walked over to the fire place, having walked into the waiting room. His mind flashed back to when they walked into the waiting room the first time, when odd was just that. He shook his head and just focuse on the radiating heat. He let his hands heat up. "Now, what the bloody hell do we do?"

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"We check the Station Master's office," says Kate as she finishes affixing her gas mask. "Put your mask on if you're going in there."

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:06 pm
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie walks in and sits next to Jonathan,"We'll get through this, don't you worry, just need to stick together."

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan turns towards the other man and suddenly bursts out in rage: "Stick together? Spare me this crap. When things got dangerous, you just ran away", he stands up as he keeps talking, his voice getting louder: "Don't expect me to believe you care about anyone else. At least I tried... at least I tried", he turns around and walks away, shivering, trying to regain control.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 am
by Laraqua
Charlie,when he yells at you, in the mere moments after he finishes speaking, you can hear a sibilant whisper start up like a buzzing in your ears, the words themselves indecipherable. It fades away after a few seconds and you almost wonder if you'd heard anything at all.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:50 pm
by Ritterton
"Guys, we need to focus and we need to get help here What ever happened out there or in that train, we eed to put it behind us to just get this place under control." Artemis spun about from the fire place and said using his take control voice as he realized that the other two guys seemed to be on edge with each other. He felt a bit of relief in doing so. He watched as Ms. Kate reached for her gask mask.

"Ms. Kate, I don't have gas mask with me, don't think I brought it with me now that I think about it. Should have, but..."

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"You really should carry it with you at all times," says Kate. "Well, if we get through this, I'm sure you'll remember from now on. Anyone else going in with me?"

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 pm
by Ritterton
"I can stand guard at the door if nothing else." Artemis responded. He looked about the room and headed towards the station master's office.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay," says Kate. "I'll go in. If I scream, pull me out, but hold your breath. As long as your exposure isn't prolonged, it shouldn't be too bad." She enters the office.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 am
by Charlie Hagan
"Hm? Oh I think I have a gas mask in my luggage." Charlie says distractedly. "Did anyone else hear that?"

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:56 am
by Ritterton
Artemis spun his head back and looked at Charlie, "Here what? Miss Kate? I just yelled at her to see if she was alright?"

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am
by Charlie Hagan
"No, more like this sort of buzz, or a whisper?"

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 am
by Overlord87

Jonathan looks at Charlie with a puzzled expression on his face:"I have heard nothing of the sort".

Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"Maybe it's just my guilty conscience." Charlie says sarcastically.

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:50 am
by Ritterton
"Can't say that I have heard anything like that at all, Charile. Sure you are doing ok?" Artemis asked from where he was standing watching for Miss Kate to return.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:23 pm
by Charlie Hagan
"Oh I'm good, how are you?"

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:56 pm
by Ritterton
"Well, good Chap, despite being locked in some version of a hellish nightmare, I have to say it was nice to warm up there by the fire." Artemis quipped with a saracastic grin from the doorway to the Station Master's office. He winked and then turned back to the doorway. "Miss Kate, ay luck in there?"

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate emerges from the office, tears fogging her vision. She takes off the gas mask as soon as she's clear and wipes her eyes with a handkerchief. "The telegraph was working, and I sent my message," she says. "There weren't any tickets, but I found a working telephone. Somehow, Miss Aston was on the other end. She...she said she was in the kitchen, and they were cooking her! She told me not to come. But it's impossible! How could there be a phone there, and how could she be talking on it while they...?"

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 am
by Laraqua
The idea of it chills your blood. Not only the horror of her being cooked while aware of it but the sheer very impossibility of her somehow communicating from a train to the railway station. It might seem more comforting to simply discard the notion as the product of delusional disorders, or hallucinations, but after what you have all seen that may be equally hard to truly believe. At least here, swaddled in the warmth of the railway station waiting room you feel a little safer ... though the horrors of what lurks outside press in on the edges. And the horrors of having left her, alone, to a fate worse than death.

Stability Loss: 0/3*

Those who have spent some time conversing in the waiting room lose one fewer stability points if they fail the roll. Charlie loses 1 regardless for having been present during her capture and would have lost an additional point of stability if not for bolstering effect of being in the warmth of the waiting room for awhile (so you only lose 3 if you fail the roll).

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I knew we shouldn't have left the train without her," says Kate. It takes all of her effort to keep from breaking down. "It was our fault..."
OOC,Stability roll (no points spent): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 am
by Charlie Hagan
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice] stability roll  

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 am
by Ritterton
Spoiler:
Stability roll[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:32 am
by Overlord87
Stability,Rolled a 3: http://orokos.com/roll/518141

Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 pm
by Laraqua
Jonathon takes the news worse than the others....
OOC,Overlord please remember to adjust your sheet. It may be easier if you guys do that so there's no risk of double ups.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie's voice shakes as he says, "It isn't possible, it's just a trick. They're trying to get to us, make us start blaming each other, maybe get someone to go back onto the train. Well it's not going to work on me!"

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 am
by Overlord87

Jonathan's face goes pale and he has trouble breathing. He slowly says: "We... we can't leave her alone".
Spoiler:
OOC:   Updated my sheet. At Stability 3, I'm probably starting to be on edge, and more likely to make dumb choices... like going back inside the train :D  

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe it's not too late then!" says Kate. "If we hurry, we can still save her!"

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 am
by Overlord87

Jonathan nods: "Let's go, Miss Lacey".

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 am
by Ritterton
"Alright, but I suggest we head to the front of the train at the outset. We have someone with a gun, right? We need to be able to use that. Strike hard,
strike fast, and pull back to here."
Artemis said rather matter of fact. "How many shots do we have?"

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, let's go," says Kate. "I don't think any of us has a gun. Mr. Durant did, but I've no idea where he's gone."

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:31 am
by Charlie Hagan
"He's probably dead too," Charlie says callously, "Just like all of you will be if you go back on that train."

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am
by Overlord87

"There's a chain closing the door to the baggage car. I left it a little open, so if we have the right tool, we can break it open from outside and enter from there".

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:14 pm
by Ritterton
"Any chance, Miss Kate you saw a tool box back in the Station Master's office?" Artemis asked hoping that maybe there was a tool that could be grabbed before they headed back to the train.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, but I'll do you one better," says Kate. "Mr. Hagan and I found a pair of bolt cutters in the shed. They'd be perfect! We used them to cut the chains blocking the main entrance. Do you still have them?"

Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie looks at each of them incredulously in turn as they speak.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:51 pm
by Ritterton
"Alright then, one option is to dash out to the shed, grab the cutters, and then come back to that locomotive. We can go back through the baggage car and work our way back up front. He twitched as he said that. Is there any other options? [/b]

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"They're not in the shed any more," says Kate. "We used them to break the chains on the front door. But yes, entering via the baggage car is our best chance. Mr. Hagan, where did you last see the bolt cutters?"

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 am
by Charlie Hagan
"I had them in my hands when," he groans in realisation, "They're on the train, I dropped them so I could bolt the door."

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then we'll just have to do it the hard way," says Kate.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 am
by Ritterton
"Really, don't think there has been anything resembling an easy way, Miss Kate," Artemis said with asarcastic grin. "Let's get going then."

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:16 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan shrugs as he prepares himself for their second run to the train: "Can't get much worse than it already is, right?"

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't say that, you'll jinx us," says Kate, heading for the exit.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:30 am
by Laraqua
Feeling emboldened by your time in the warmth and your plan of heroism, you feel a little more emotionally stable.
OOC,please add 1 Stability to your tallies.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:34 am
by Ritterton
Artemis followed after Ms. Kate. He had warmed a bit, and also felt that there was purpose.
OOC:   point added  

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate goes back out to the platform.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am
by Charlie Hagan
Charlie adjust his clothing as an excuse not to make eye contact with anyone as they leave.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 pm
by Overlord87

Jonathan shoots one last glance at Charlie, then shakes his head and follows the others outside.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:07 am
by Laraqua
Charlie finds himself alone.....

Places to Go:

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate cautiously makes her way into the waiting room. "This is where I came in," she says. "I'm not sure where to go from here."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:59 am
by Laraqua
The man made sure the doors were shut behind them. "This place is constantly in flux. Things change with the passage of time perhaps because time passes more quickly outside of here than inside. Only some things get caught, trapped here with us. But there are things left behind in its construction, things that have an emotional resonance, that operate differently than you might expect."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"You mean like that saddle on the bench," says Kate. "It clearly belongs to someone who loves horses. Or that landscape over there." She points out the one with the sunset. "It's not like the others. It looks like it was made from a photograph, and the artist guessed at the colours - quite well, I think."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:03 am
by Laraqua
"Everything that stands out has a purpose, a reason, for standing out. The trick is to figure out why - is it something solid like what is written on the other side? Or does it tie together with something else to tell a broader story?"

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't know there was writing on the other side," says Kate. Curious, she moves the painting to look at the back.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:31 pm
by Laraqua
She finds a flowery handwriting upon the back of the painting:

Hidden behind the plates, the man doth run,
Hidden behind the cups, we run as well,
Our task is great and grand,
But will our sacrifice be without favour?

He promised me it was worth it.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"This looks like a riddle or a clue," says Kate. "Do you have any idea what this means? Maybe it's referring to the cups and plates in the kitchen."

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:34 am
by Laraqua
"Honestly most of these clues sound like the subsconscious dribblings of a madman, which perhaps is a clue itself," he said with a sigh. "Sometimes I wonder if I'm merely a riddle here. Do I even exist? Or has someone dreamed me into being like the rest of this strangeness?" He gives her a pointed look. "And you ... can you be sure you even exist? Perhaps I stand here alone waxing lyrical to myself."

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think, therefore I am...I think," says Kate. "I'm fairly sure you exist too, if that's any consolation."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:14 am
by Laraqua
"Strangely enough, it is," he said. "I've spent a long time pretending that the people who pass through here don't exist.... The sudden vanishings, the brutal homicides, it's all rather better to stay distant. But I think I will help you, for a little while." He smiles awkwardly, as though he can't quite remember how to do a real one, compared to the fake ones he's had plastered over his face before. "So ... cups and plates you say?"

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we need to look behind them," says Kate, smiling back. She hasn't forgotten how yet. "It's good not to be alone, and I'm glad of your company. Shall we check the kitchen?"

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 am
by Laraqua
"That would require returning through to the restaurant and as that door is locked we would need to go through the platform," said the fellow. "I would rather suggest we find a stronger light source to beat back the darkness before we go through there. Unless you know your way around a locked door?"

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can't pick the lock with my hairpin," says Kate. "At least one of the people who disappeared could do it, but they're not here now. I might be able to take the door off its hinges given the proper tools, but we haven't got those either. Shall we check the Baggage Room to see if we can find a light source?" She tries the door. "That's locked too. There is the Station Master's office, but it was dangerous earlier."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am
by Laraqua
"What was in there before?" he asked, frowning. "And we could try upstairs. Sometimes things change and become revealed."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"There was butyric acid in the air before," says Kate. "I don't know if it's still there or not. It smells like rancid butter. I protected myself by putting on my gas mask, but I don't suppose you'd have been issued one if you've been here since the war started."

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:04 am
by Laraqua
"Is it safe to enter if you have the mask on? I could wait out in the waiting room for you to come back."

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it's just bloody uncomfortable," says Kate, taking out her gas mask and strapping it on. "Anything else I should be looking for in there? I already sent a telegram to the Home Guard asking for help, but I don't know if it did any good."

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 pm
by Laraqua
"See if you can figure out anything of this station's history. Or better yet, find keys!"

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate nods and ducks into the Station Master's office.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:17 am
by Laraqua

Places to Go:

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:19 am
by Laraqua
Thankfully you can see that strange fellow is still here. He hasn't disappeared anywhere. Instead he sits on one of the bench seats, head in his hands. He looks up as you enter.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Kate clicks off the torch and removes her stifling gas mask, returning it to its cardboard box. "I'm so glad you're still here," she says, breathing freely at last. "I was afraid you were going to disappear on me like all the others. I found this electric torch, and these documents." She explains what she was able to determine from them, and she describes what happened with the telegraph. "The reply said 16 hours were needed for the final ritual, whatever that is. It was 9:31 at the time according to my watch, which gives us until 1:31 PM tomorrow. The clock said it was 1:30, but it appears to have stopped. I also noticed that the calendar said it was September 4, 1941. The reply also said to check the beast book for more information on birds. There were no keys left. Ilona took them all earlier, and she's vanished."

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:19 am
by Laraqua
"I think there are some books upstairs in a little library," said the man, rousing himself from his chair. "The light you have should get us across the platform if we're quick and clever."

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's right, I do remember there's a library up there," says Kate. "Okay, let's go back through the platform and try the kitchen first to look behind the cups and plates."

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 pm
by Laraqua
He nods, and a flash of something, fear perhaps?, appears in his eyes. "Maybe I should hold the flashlight?"

He holds out his hand to her.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Kate, handing him the flashlight. "Let's only turn it on when we need it, to save the batteries. I'm ready to go when you are."

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:03 am
by Laraqua
He nods and takes her hand, placing it on his waist. "Stay close to me. If I don't feel you, see you or hear you, you might go missing out there." Presuming she does, he'll head for the exit, turning on the flashlight once they're in the double-back covered blackout-curtained entry way and then out the front door.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Kate, squeezing his hand and smiling. "I don't want to be alone either, and I'm glad of your company." She heads out to the platform with him.