Railway Station Waiting Room

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Railway Station Waiting Room

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate nods and ducks into the Station Master's office.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

A small and dark ante-chamber is built into the room from the front doors to keep the light from inside from spilling out. The curtain at one end has been thrown askew, revealing the door which is chained from the outside. The room itself is quite wide with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The whole place feels quite warm and cheery due to the lovely big old fire burning on the other side of the building, flanked on either side by the ladies and the gentleman's restrooms. It's given an even toastier feeling because the whole room is bathed in a nice orange glow with very little competition - only one of the wall-mounted lamps is on and that's one of those nearest the door. There is a most peculiar odour of polish, cologne and saddlery, which might be caused by the pile of horse gear strung out over one of the benches which is most peculiar. A portrait of the British King holds pride of place above the fireplace.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors (one broken inward and then mainly closed, though still hanging ajar) and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office (broken door) and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

There is no sign of either Frank or the unconscious man.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.
Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge,These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.
Law Knowledge,Allowing a chink of light to escape from the railway station would be grounds for a not-so-insignificant fine and some serious dressing down. Of course, one thing that should also be present are instructions to the nearest air raid shelter. There are no such signs in here. Hopefully there isn't an air raid before you manage to board the train.
Art or Art History Knowledge,The paintings are all local pieces of the sort made by ordinary landscape artists who have a neat skill with a paint brush but lack the sense of style that separates mundane painters from the masters. These paintings have been made by a half dozen different artists. Only one has signs of real style but something about the design work leaves you in mind of a painter who has used a skilful photograph as their subject and presumed the colouration. It is a haunting image of a sunset with brooding storm clouds above the flashes of colour with green grasses below.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Thankfully you can see that strange fellow is still here. He hasn't disappeared anywhere. Instead he sits on one of the bench seats, head in his hands. He looks up as you enter.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate clicks off the torch and removes her stifling gas mask, returning it to its cardboard box. "I'm so glad you're still here," she says, breathing freely at last. "I was afraid you were going to disappear on me like all the others. I found this electric torch, and these documents." She explains what she was able to determine from them, and she describes what happened with the telegraph. "The reply said 16 hours were needed for the final ritual, whatever that is. It was 9:31 at the time according to my watch, which gives us until 1:31 PM tomorrow. The clock said it was 1:30, but it appears to have stopped. I also noticed that the calendar said it was September 4, 1941. The reply also said to check the beast book for more information on birds. There were no keys left. Ilona took them all earlier, and she's vanished."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I think there are some books upstairs in a little library," said the man, rousing himself from his chair. "The light you have should get us across the platform if we're quick and clever."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's right, I do remember there's a library up there," says Kate. "Okay, let's go back through the platform and try the kitchen first to look behind the cups and plates."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He nods, and a flash of something, fear perhaps?, appears in his eyes. "Maybe I should hold the flashlight?"

He holds out his hand to her.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says Kate, handing him the flashlight. "Let's only turn it on when we need it, to save the batteries. I'm ready to go when you are."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He nods and takes her hand, placing it on his waist. "Stay close to me. If I don't feel you, see you or hear you, you might go missing out there." Presuming she does, he'll head for the exit, turning on the flashlight once they're in the double-back covered blackout-curtained entry way and then out the front door.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Kate, squeezing his hand and smiling. "I don't want to be alone either, and I'm glad of your company." She heads out to the platform with him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Railway Station”