Railway Station Waiting Room

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Railway Station Waiting Room

Post by Laraqua »

Upon opening the front door you must then push aside a black out curtain to enter a small and dark ante-chamber with wooden partitions either side that run up to the ceiling. You wait there a moment for the curtain to fall shut behind you, ensuring no light can escape, and then you brush aside the next curtain before entering the main waiting room. Around four people can squish in here at once but it's better form to wait until the person, or couple, ahead of you have entered before entering yourself.

Once you've passed through this little ante-chamber, you find yourself in a wide room with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The whole place feels quite warm and cheery due to the lovely big old fire burning on the other side of the building, flanked on either side by the ladies and the gentleman's restrooms. It's given an even toastier feeling because the whole room is bathed in a nice orange glow with very little competition - only one of the wall-mounted lamps is on and that's one of those nearest the door. There is a most peculiar odour of polish, cologne and saddlery, which might be caused by the pile of horse gear strung out over one of the benches which is most peculiar. A portrait of the British King holds pride of place above the fireplace.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.
Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge,These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.
Law Knowledge,Allowing a chink of light to escape from the railway station would be grounds for a not-so-insignificant fine and some serious dressing down. Of course, one thing that should also be present are instructions to the nearest air raid shelter. There are no such signs in here. Hopefully there isn't an air raid before you manage to board the train.
Art or Art History Knowledge,The paintings are all local pieces of the sort made by ordinary landscape artists who have a neat skill with a paint brush but lack the sense of style that separates mundane painters from the masters. These paintings have been made by a half dozen different artists. Only one has signs of real style but something about the design work leaves you in mind of a painter who has used a skilful photograph as their subject and presumed the colouration. It is a haunting image of a sunset with brooding storm clouds above the flashes of colour with green grasses below.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Railway Station Waiting Room

Post by jimjam »

Ilona walks in and takes a seat on one of the benches. She breathes into her hands and rubs them together to warm them. "Oh dear, I seem to have left my gloves at the estate." She mumbles to herself as she rummages through her rather large handbag. She pulls out a pair of men's reading glasses with a very thick lens and a small statue and starts looking it over, not wearing the glasses, but using them more as a magnifying glass instead.
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie enters, "Ah, nice and warm." He places his bags carefully in a corner and decides to inspect the horse gear. "Somehow I doubt they sell horses tickets." He says to himself.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Simple search of the saddle,These are some high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They'd be worth a reasonable slice of money, too. There's something engraved on the bridle, sides of the bit, some kind of stylised candle design (perhaps?) in an off-kilter five-sided star. Very unusual. (Evidence Collection 1-pt spend and Occult 1-pt spend available.)
Outdoorsman Knowledge on the Saddle,There's an odd shape to the saddle with a slight lump to the side near the stitching that is quite odd.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis pushed his way through the black out curtain, waited for it fall behind him, and then pushed his way through the other curtain into the antecahmber. He heard the rustling of the second curtain fall into place and walked into the waiting room. His face still had a bit of a flush to it and the room felt even warmer.

"Good evening," he said as he looked about.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate follows Ilona into the station's waiting room, sitting beside her and looking with interest when she pulls out the statue. "Interesting," she says. "I'd wager it has quite a story behind it."

Forty men or eight horses, she thinks when she hears Charlie's comment. It was something her father had mentioned was on the train cars in France when he had fought in the last war. She wonders if they still do that in this one. Cavalry aren't used so much these days, but at least horses don't need petrol - just hay or grass.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

"Evenin'," Charlie replies, still investigating the saddles.
Laraqua,Spend 1 Evidence Collection point
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mr. Hagan,notices that there is a suspicious bulge in two panels of the saddles just large enough to represent a hidden pocket. While it could certainly be slitted open, with a successful Conceal roll he could find his way inside by learning the trick of it as he's pretty sure it's not simply sewn shut but is meant to be a hidden hidey hole. Note: You can spend points in Conceal to gain bonuses to your die roll. We roll a single 1D6 and typically you need to score a 4 or above. Normally you therefore have a 50% chance of success but can spend points to increase it. If you fail, you cannot repeat the test (unless it's in combat or conflict) but can get someone else to try or try something different. I can roll for you but you'll need to tell me if you'll spend any Conceal points.

Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Laraqua,I'll spend 2 Conceal points
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mr. Hagan,still trying to work out the dice rollers on this system but ended up having to use a web-site instead. I rolled a 2 and you spend 2 points for a lovely 4 which is a success. You manage to slip your fingers in from a crease beneath the saddle and slide your hands up and over, finding that on one side there is a chain and thin medallion on one side and on the other side there is a letter within an envelope. If you would like to pull them out unseen, since the medallion is the size of an Australian 50 cent coin you will need to make another Conceal roll. Otherwise you can just pull them out normally.

Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Laraqua,I'll try another Conceal roll to pull them out but I won't spend any points.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Mr. Hagan,no such luck but at least you're aware of it enough to not try to pocket it. If no one takes it from you, you can always judiciously pocket it later on when you're in an empty room.
To those who are gazing in his general direction, Mr. Hagan pulls an envelope and a silver medallion out of the collection of horse gear, as if by magic.
Closer inspection,The medallion has that same symbol of a candle flame in a little circle, sitting within a wonky five-pointed star on one side but on the other side there is an upside down ankh, thickly engraved, surrounded by Arabic words interspersed with more upside down ankhs. The envelope is plain, but not sealed, and isn't addressed to anyone.

Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie looks over the medallion. "Anyone here a linguist?" he asks to the room as he flicks the medallion into the air and catches it before opening envelope to read any letter that may be inside.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The Letter,The ink is faded though the paper appears pristine and brand new. It is quite a short read: You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةIf you are reading this than it may not yet be too late. Know that you are not the first and that, for the war to end, you will not be the last either. The train will arrive at 8:30 but it is essential that you miss that train and return home as soon as you are able. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرةThe longer you linger in the station before that point, the more difficult it will be to escape. You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة I came here to help arrange matters and to assist with the vital preparations necessary to allow the glory of Great Britain to succeed and I have willingly and gratefully assisted my Egyptian allies in fighting off the Nazi threat but their methods are cruel and You are not the first. You are not the last. لم تكن الأولى. لم تكن الأخيرة
Examining the Medallion,there is a 2-pt spend available for Occult and a 1-pt spend available for Art History, Anthropology, Archaeology and History. If you can speak Arabic, I will explain what the writing around the outside means.
Occult or Archaeology Knowledge and Examining the Medallion,The ankh is an Egyptian symbol representing life (especially the eternal life of the gods) but there is no general information available on what it means were it to be inverted. Death? Or something else?

jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jimjam »

Ilona takes a long moment before she realises Kate had been talking to her. "Oh, me?" She pipes up. "I'm terribly sorry, I must seem quite rude! This one is an Egyptian statue of Osiris, Isis and Horus." Ilona laughs and puts her glasses back in her handbag."Or at least that's what it is supposed to look like. This is a recreation from 1923 after the hype of King Tutankhamun's tomb being discovered. It doesn't even have any of the usual symbolism you'd get from the real Egyptian statues, or even a really good knock-off. I must say, these kinds of things are actually the most popular items I sell." she sighs. "They look pretty I suppose."
jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jimjam »

"Oh, er, I can speak Arabic and also- also Latin. It's that useful? Mr... uh?" She trails off, assuming he'll fill in with an introduction.
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie looks up from the letter he was reading and flashes Ilona a smile, "Hagan, Charlie Hagan. And yeah that should be great. In fact, I'd say this is quite up your alley." He steps over and passes her the medallion.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan enters the waiting room, shaking off the cold air from outside. "Good even-", he begins, then he notices that everyone in the room is gathered in circle around what seems to be a medallion... and a letter? His eyes then fall on the horse gear on the other side of the room.

What's going on here?

His interest piqued by the strange scene, Jonathan gets close to the group, trying to understand what's happening.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis started to turn towards Charlie Hagan, when the swish of the curtains behind him caught his attention, he turns his head and sees another man enter the room as he continues to walk to the ladies and the gentleman with the medal and letter.

"Good evening," Artemis returned the greeting to the new member in the room with his Philadelphia accent coming through in his words. "Artemis Richter, pleasure. So, which language do you need Mr. Hagan? For German and Latin are two additional ones that I can add to the list." [/b] As he gets closure to the group, he notices the woman with the Egyptian statue. His face shifts into a puzzled look.

My pardon, Artemis Richter, Mr. Hagan." Artemis extended his hand towards Mr. Hagan.
Last edited by Ritterton on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Miss Aston on the medallion,spend options are in the earlier post under Examining the Medallion (both of them). الظلام فرعون يحميني or alzzalam fireawn yahmini is what is repeated over and over along the edges. [i]Dark Pharoah protect me.[/i]

Return to “The Railway Station”