Railway Station Waiting Room

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Railway Station Waiting Room

Post by Laraqua »

The battering at the other door stops and all goes quiet for a long moment...
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hey, you in there!" calls Kate through the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis looked about as Kate talked. He wanted to check on the man they had left down here to see if he had revivied. His attention was pulled back to Kate when she called out to whoever was on the other side of the closed door to the restaurant.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

A small and dark ante-chamber is built into the room from the front doors to keep the light from inside from spilling out. The curtain at one end has been thrown askew, revealing the door which is chained from the outside. The room itself is quite wide with scuffed floors and worn benches sitting back to back in the middle. More benches line the walls, with paintings of local scenes and nearby Plymouth adorning the brick above them. Naturally all of the windows beside the entrance door are covered in a heavy shroud of black cloth that blocks your view of the outside world and leaves you enclosed in this cozy little space.

The whole place feels quite warm and cheery due to the lovely big old fire burning on the other side of the building, flanked on either side by the ladies and the gentleman's restrooms. It's given an even toastier feeling because the whole room is bathed in a nice orange glow with very little competition - only one of the wall-mounted lamps is on and that's one of those nearest the door. There is a most peculiar odour of polish, cologne and saddlery, which might be caused by the pile of horse gear strung out over one of the benches which is most peculiar. A portrait of the British King holds pride of place above the fireplace.

The other doors here all have glass-frosted windows with black stencilling giving their labels. On the left are two doors (one broken inward and then mainly closed, though still hanging ajar) and a shuttered window. The labels read Station Master's Office (broken door) and Baggage Room where you can pay to store your baggage. On the right is a door to the restaurant. Near to that is a set of steps that head upwards to what would presumably be a few hotel rooms.

An unconscious man lies where they had left him.

Places to Go:
Credit Rating Knowledge,It really is quite all right to knock on the Station Master's office door and expect him to manage things for you.
Outdoorsman or Riding Knowledge,These high-quality saddles have been kept in very good condition despite also being well-used. They therefore belong to a keen and enthusiastic rider who nonetheless takes great care of his or her horses.
Law Knowledge,Allowing a chink of light to escape from the railway station would be grounds for a not-so-insignificant fine and some serious dressing down. Of course, one thing that should also be present are instructions to the nearest air raid shelter. There are no such signs in here. Hopefully there isn't an air raid before you manage to board the train.
Art or Art History Knowledge,The paintings are all local pieces of the sort made by ordinary landscape artists who have a neat skill with a paint brush but lack the sense of style that separates mundane painters from the masters. These paintings have been made by a half dozen different artists. Only one has signs of real style but something about the design work leaves you in mind of a painter who has used a skilful photograph as their subject and presumed the colouration. It is a haunting image of a sunset with brooding storm clouds above the flashes of colour with green grasses below.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate listens at the door to try to determine if whoever is in there is nearby. If she can't hear anything, she pounds louder on the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There's a heavy dragging step that moves toward the door, the dragging part sounding human enough but the other step has a a heavy wet sound like meat slapping against the ground than a normal human step. Then there's the sound of wooden table legs dragging across the ground as something forces its way past. Then the clatter of chain hitting the ground outside, and the person in the restaurant charges the outer door and slams up against it. Doesn't sound like the door burst open, but one more hit like that is bound to break it open.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate shrinks back from the door in terror and goes over to where the Station Manager, or whoever he is, lies unconscious. "No more noise," she whispers to Artemis. "Let's get ready to get him out of here."
OOC,Was it the door I was knocking at that got hit, or was it the other door leading outside?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Fine, fine," Artemis gulped and turned to help Kate trying to process the sounds that he had heard coming from the restaurant. He tried looking upstairs to see if anything had changed up there.

"What did you discover outside?" Artemis asked as they worked to lift the prone man into a position that they each could drag the man out of the building.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The noises quite clearly rammed up against the external door. The man, himself, wouldn't be too heavy but he is completely a dead weight and that makes him far harder to carry. He is still alive, though, as he mumbles incoherently as they move his body into position.

Two Athletics rolls, please. Remember you can spend to boost the roll.

Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Spoiler:
Ok, athletics - spending a point on it [dice]0[/dice] assuming when you said two you meant for the two of us to roll just once. IF you wanted two such rolls, here you be...but the second without a point. [dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate picks up the slack to try to make up for Artemis's weakness, adrenalin fueling her. "I found Miss Aston's coat outside," she whispers, "bloody and abandoned with something small moving under it. Mr. Hagan found the body of a woman in a yellow dress on the roof of the shed, but she wasn't Miss Aston."
OOC,Atheltics roll (3 points spent): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis tried to lift the man, but his leg gave way and he spent more time trying not to fall on his own. He grimaced and sighed heavily as he tried to help Ms. Kate with the man. But, all he really did was try to not trip her or himself.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Neither of them do particularly well in lifting him but Artemis' arms are far more trembling and it's all he can do to keep from dropping him entirely. They can move him, but slowly, and certainly not upstairs without dropping him.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate glances over at Frank, on the stairs. "Can you help?" she asks. "We've got to get him upstairs and somehow lower him out the window. Mr. Hagan will never be able to get the chains off from outside, and without tools we can't remove the doors from inside."
OOC,I spent three Athletics, but you only marked off one on my character sheet. Also, you never marked off the three points of Sense Trouble I spent.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Frank headed to the bottom of the stairs. "All right, I will cover from the bottom of the steps. Artemis, grab the Station Master. Miss Kate, shine your light on anything that moves or makes noise. Once the Station Master gets to the steps you two get him upstairs and I can start banging around before I head up after you. Sound like a plan?"

Another slither of chain before it slaps against the platform outside. A short moment of terrible silence, than a great weight crashes against the external restaurant door. They can hear the wood buckle and shatter beneath the weight as whatever was inside the restaurant goes out onto the platform.

Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"We need to move out of this place and try to figure out how to get him out of here." Artemis glanced back at the restaurant section and he pushed at the back of the prone man being dragged by Kate and Frank. Artemis headed up the stairway behind the others.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Artemis finds he can't maintain the weight of the fellow while going backwards up the stairs. Perhaps it's all of the fear, or perhaps this man is heavier than he looks, but he just can't quite hold him right. It doesn't help that the fellow is completely limp.

Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

After the second near slip off the stairs, Artemis turned to Frank, "Can you help buddy, the war wound makes it nearly impossible for me to help Miss Kate." His embarassment was pretty easy to see, but Artemis focuse don getting himself up the stairs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He broke out of the restaurant and got out to the platform," says Kate, shaking her head and holding back tears. "It was my fault. I thought making noise at the other door would bring him towards it, but instead...I can manage carrying him, with some help. We'll have to rig up some sort of harness to lower him from the window, unless the fresh air coming through it is enough to revive him. We could get out through the restaurant instead, but then we could run into that bloke." She works with Frank to carry the unconscious man.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There's another slamming thud somewhere out on the railway station platform. The Station Master groans and thrashes slightly in their hands, forcing them to struggle with his weight in motion.

Return to “The Railway Station”