Platform BEGIN HERE

Watch your step as you explore this dimly lit and disturbing railway station and its buildings beneath the bomber's moon.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Platform BEGIN HERE

Post by Laraqua »

8:12AM

The long winding road stretches out across the flat and grassy expanse to the lonely railway station surrounded by green grass, fringed with yellow within a few feet of the railway lines themselves. The two-storey red brick building with its blue-tiled roof and two chimneys seem cozy enough as you approach. There is no sign for the railway station, as would be expected, since all such signposts were taken down at the start of the war to confuse paratroopers, spies and fallen German airmen.

The bomber's moon shines brightly through the wispy grey clouds above you, heavy with the promise of more fighter planes coming in over the continent in the Battle of Britain. The white-lined windows, doors and platform stripe (designed to help people stand back from the edge of the platform in the night) seem softly luminescent in the moonlight. Naturally all of the windows are heavily blacked out and there isn't a chink of light.

The platform is narrow, crouched over by the stationhouse itself, and lined with Victorian lamps, converted to electricity only a decade or two ago, pressed against the station's brick walls and sitting unlit. Benches line those same walls, empty of fellow passengers, crowding more thickly beneath the blue awning that stretches before the station restaurant.

A dozen yards away from the spot where cars typically park, near an unpainted fence where a rusted bicycle leans crookedly, stands a large shed.

The Southern Railway runs this Appledown (Kent) station. Passenger trains run once every sixty minutes during the day in each direction, north to Ashford and south to Hastings and beyond to/from Brighton via Lewes and Eastbourne. The last passenger train for today should be leaving for Ashford at 8:30PM. Luckily you have come a few minutes early, just in case.

Places to Go:
Craft Knowledge,The shed would be full of tools, wood and coal for both the stations' and passing trains' needs.
Architecture Knowledge,During the war very little has been invested in the railways and they have become increasingly run-down. With only essential maintenance work being carried out during the war, the maintenance backlog increased even further. This railway station would have been constructed in the Victorian Era and likely has seen very little change since. It's pretty typical for small stations of its era.
History Knowledge,The Appledown Railway Station has a rather ordinary history. Built in the Victorian era, it has seen neither horrific murder nor terrible scandal. There have also been no bombs dropped from passing planes on this little spit of countryside, which is unusual for Kent, as incessant bombing raids are already beginning to leave their devastating mark on Kent's landscape due to its proximity to the rest of Europe. The Luftwaffe have embarked on a heavy bombardment of the country's airfields, harbours and naval bases, presumably to clear the way for invasion. In many places you can spot the debris of fighter aircraft from both sides.
Outdoorsman Knowledge,The soil near the railway lines looks quite healthy. It's unusual that the grass is dying so close to it though perhaps some form of pesticide is being used to keep the lines clear of grass. It is also strange that the yellowing stretches a full meter from the tracks, however, as that seems a bit over-zealous for pesticide. The sudden yellowing also suggests that it's a relatively new situation, perhaps only a few days old.
Evidence Collection Knowledge,The brickwork beneath the roofline has strange symbolism carved into them but they are too far away to read. (1 Point Spend available).
Photography or Art History Knowledge,The current station master, Declan O'Donoghue, is a locally renowned photographer who has managed to accomplish great things from this small town. Many of his photographs are haunting depictions of rundown architectural anomalies, some of which show this very train station, though always from such angles as show these train stations to be in a state of disrepair. (1 Point Spend available).
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Platform BEGIN HERE

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Cheers for the ride," Kate Lacey says to Ilona Aston. She opens her door and squeezes out of the car's cramped interior, unfolding her long legs at last. "Let me help you with your things. It's the least I can do." Ilona has an awful lot of luggage, which had nearly filled the car and barely left room for the two of them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by jimjam »

Ilona gets out from the other door, already holding several items in her arms. "Oh! Err, thank... Thank you but I think I'll be fine." She says as she stacks on top more objects until she can almost no longer see over the top. "I think I have it - ooh!" She catches a small box before it fell. "Uh... quite covered."
She pauses. "Oh! The boot! Ms Lacey, could you please get my suitcase from the boot? It seems I do need help after all. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience!"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Here, let me help you with that, Miss Aston," says the driver, taking the heavier luggage more firmly from her hands, though he is in his early sixties himself, he would be appalled were his offer refused. "You two go and get yourselves warmed up inside and I'll just stack these here on the platform ready for the train. Place is quiet enough, can't think there'd be thieves." He'll scowl, but won't outright reprimand, either of them for taking up any of the other heavy luggage.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," Kate tells the driver, just as relieved that she doesn't have to carry anything. "Let's go inside, Miss Aston. There is a bit of a chill out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ejstricker
Layman
Layman

Post by Ejstricker »

Countess Katherine Bathory shows up and looks around getting ready for the train. She clutched onto her hand bag and looked around to see who is there, though she wasn't very interested in talking she just wanted the train to hurry up before someone comes looking for her.
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Charlie Hagan »

A cab winds its way to the railway station and after a brief transaction Charlie hops out of the passenger side. Doing up his coat, he makes his way round to the boot of the taxi, pops it open and removes two brown leather suitcases, placing them on the ground next to him. He closes the boot and waves a goodbye to the cabbie before grabbing his suitcases and making his way to the platform. "Ladies." He smiles, nodding to those already gathered. "Heading to Ashford as well?"
jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jimjam »

Ilona thanks the driver and continues to the waiting room with miss Lacey, looking absolutely torn having to leave her new interesting finds to sit out on the stations platform.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The driver who is carrying out the gear seems to note Ilona's hesitation. "It's all right, miss. I woke for the auctioneer. I can take a look after them, for sixpence, so you can warm your toes and then stow them when the train arrives."

Ejstricker
Layman
Layman

Post by Ejstricker »

Katherine steps out of an expensive car owned by the richest people in town who have volunteered it to her service to get her to the station. She looks to the man and smiles acknowledges him, she picks up her bags and walks over to him deciding to be social after all. "I am. I've heard that they are having an art gallery showing." Katherine said placing her bags down.
jimjam
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jimjam »

Ilona doesn't seem to ease up at all but she politely smiles and agrees to the drivers offer.
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

"Well it must be quite the affair to bring you out this time of night, you must be a woman of taste. Oh, I'm sorry, how rude of me not to introduce myself, name's Charlie Hagan." He looks down at the suitcases in either hand then nods his head towards the waiting room entrance. "Maybe we should get inside."
Ejstricker
Layman
Layman

Post by Ejstricker »

"I'm Countess Katherine Bathory, lovely to meet you Mr. Hagan." Katherine takes his hand and formally shakes his hand. "Yes, well it is worth it I think. I love art, I even paint myself."
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie hastily puts a bag down to shake Katherine's hand. "A countess? Wow, I didn't know nobility came so young and beautiful." He grins. "It's a shame we didn't meet sooner, I would have loved to see some of your work."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The driver follows behind the countess, her two heavy bags in both hands while she carries her handbag and a lighter suitcase. He dares not interrupt the countess, merely following behind and placing her items beside where Ilona's driver has taken up a watchful stance. He then doffs his cap to both the countess (who may not even notice him) and the auctioneer's driver, then leans back against the wall to light a cigarette, clearly expecting to spend a bit of time watching them get on their way. He gives a nod to Miss Lacey, who knows him to be George Robertson, the manservant and driver to one of the wealthier families about town. It's quite intriguing that he would be transporting a countess to the train station and he seems quite puffed up at his good fortune. Miss Aston might also recognise him from the auction that was held at the estate, though he would've stood back and out of the way of everyone. Certainly the countess had been there looking over some of the more artistically inclined antiquities.

Ejstricker
Layman
Layman

Post by Ejstricker »

Katherine nodded letting her hand fall by her side, frowns to herself. "I'm getting rather impatient. When is this train coming I have lots of stuff to do when I get to my destination."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Anyone checking their watch or pocket watch will see that it is 8:15 and the bus isn't due for another fifteen minutes.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan gets out of the car, carrying his small suitcase with him. "Thank you again for the ride, Mister Abbott. Yes, I'm not forgetting anything. Sure, I will take care of myself in London. Will let you know if I come back down here. Thank you. Goodbye". Jonathan watches the car trudge along the road until it disappears from sight behind a small hill.

I guess this closes a chapter in my life, huh? So strange, that these moments are never quite as dramatic as we expect them to be.

He looks around the countryside for a few moments. He knows he will probably never come back here. Then he heads towards the platform, looking with curiosity at the yellow grass. These people, showing no respect for nature.

While he moves through the platform, Jonathan recognizes a view from a photo seen a couple of years ago. He remembers the station master being a renowned photographer, at least in the area, and Jonathan himself quite liked his work. He never had the chance to meet him in person, though, and this might be the last time he ever comes to the Appledown station. Perhaps the station master is in service right now. Moving along the platform, after a huge mountain of luggage and an old man watching over it, Jonathan looks around for the him.

Spoiler:
OOC:   I make the 1 point Art History spend. Jonathan will look for the station master outside. If he doesn't find him, he'll head inside.  
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

At present there are only the two drivers standing atop the platform, one leaning against the wall and smoking a cigarette, while three women and a man head toward the railway station doors. Miss Aston enters first, opening the door and then parting the blackout curtain to enter. There's no sign of anyone in the station master's uniform out on the platform. Considering the temperature, that's hardly surprising. He must be inside.
For Mr. Alden (Jonathon),[list][*] Declan O'Donoghue used to be a fireman in the thirties and achieved local fame after pulling three children from a particularly deadly fire. This fame held him in good stead when he started taking pictures of people during the Great Depression. He is said to have been a handsome man,which also encouraged people to call on him as a portrait photographer though his passion has always been for landscapes. When the war began and he didn't enlist, people called him a coward. [*] That all changed in July of this year when he hauled two British airmen from a burning plane which landed well, if on fire, and while the airmen survived relatively unharmed when he hauled them to safety, he regrettably caught on fire and had to roll about to extinguish it. His face was badly burned in the ordeal but the local fellows rallied around him for some plastic surgery and he was given this position as a Station Master to replace a fellow who had left for the war. Now he is regaled as a local hero.[/list]

Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

"It should be here in a few minutes, why don't we continue this conversation inside?" Charlie grabs his bags and briefly pauses, looking up. "Someone's committed to vandalism." He enters through the blackout curtain.

Return to “The Railway Station”